Westboro Baptist to protest Newtown?

posted at 12:31 pm on December 16, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

As if things weren’t bad enough in Newtown, Connecticut already, word has begun circulating that they may be the recipients of some unsavory and most decidedly unwelcome “guests” today in connection with President Obama’s visit. The members of Westboro Baptist Church, (yes… those guys again) are apparently threatening to protest at the funerals of the slain children.

On Saturday, Shirley Phelps-Roper – a member of the extremely controversial Westboro Baptist Church – messaged with a tweet on the social media platform of Twitter:

Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment.

The message on Twitter was sent the day after 20 children and six adults were killed by Adam Lanza in the horrific massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Words simply can not describe how disgusting this would be nor the possible reaction to it. But the Westboro clan won’t have all smooth sailing. Members of Reddit are planning a counter-march to block them if they show up. The Phelps folk have attracted some enemies of their own as well, including one of the most odd pairings I can recall seeing. The hacker group Anonymous has set their sights on Westboro, already hacking their web site and releasing the personal details of their members.

The hacking collective known as Anonymous renewed their war on the Westboro Baptist Church today. After the haters from the infamous church posted their intentions to picket the funerals of the twenty children killed in the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, Anonymous responded by re-posting the personal and professional information for members of the church on the Internet. Now the general public can contact the church members directly and tell them what they think about people who would desecrate the funerals of murdered children.

No matter how revolting this entire situation becomes, I still have one question about the key players here. Does the Baptist Church have any measure of control over who uses their name? I know that when there is a new Catholic church erected, closed or moved, there’s a rather lengthy process involved so they maintain some level of control over their locations. Do the Baptists have nothing similar, or can just anyone go throw a sign up on their garage proclaiming it a Baptist Church and begin slaughtering chickens? It just seems to me that they would have distanced themselves entirely from these Phelps idiots by now if they have any control over it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

There is good and evil.

———
Spread this around – your enemies are intentionally obtuse.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

For anyone who thinks that these vermin are religious, I have a question:

How many times can a vegan eat bacon double cheeseburgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner before it’s ok to say he isn’t really a vegan?

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Wow, you seem to be displaying the abounding love and tolerance of a liberal.

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

No, I am displaying the intolerance of a conservative who is officially fed up with opportunistic self-serving idiots who open their mouths at full throttle when their brains are still engaged in 1st gear!

pilamaye on December 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So no one has a problem with Huckabee blaming atheists?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Who’s Huckabee?

Del Dolemonte on December 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Must have missed that part where God came down and granted DrAllecon complete insight on the sincerity of religious faith in others. Surely it was in the newspapers. Perhaps you have a link?

Just because one believes in God, truly and faithfully in one’s heart and in one’s soul, does not preclude one from being misguided, and even evil.

Or are we to believe that OBL and his al Qaeda associates are also Godless?

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Ah, I see. I missed the razor-thin distinction. You were saying that you believe these people actually believe in God (possible) but then choose to live every moment of their lives doing the exact opposite of what he teaches.

That’s certainly possible. Now would you agree that if they DO actually believe in God that they’re “doing it wrong?”

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Who’s Huckabee?

Del Dolemonte on December 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

He’s JaMarcus Russell, without the ability to scramble…

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Leftists do some truly despicable things in this world, but this is a new low for DEMOCRATS.

Recall, it Democrats shrieking for “blood” last week.

There will be blood.”

Yeh. It. Was.

Terp Mole on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

At least they’re not trying to take down nativity scenes like those darn atheists.

Dan_Yul on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think it’s time for the angel wings that blocked out Westboro’s ugly signs at Matthew Shepard’s funeral. Very appropriate here.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Except that that is exactly what they are trying to provoke, they earn a very substantial living suing people whom they bated into just such actions.

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

…wear masks!…and use the crowd to prevent the police from assisting them!…oh wait!…that’s what the left does!

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

No disrespect intended, but the quote is actually, “I do not say seven times,” answered Jesus, “but seventy times seven times.” In other words, infinitely.

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

So then the answer to my question was a person can call themselves a vegan no matter how many bacon double cheeseburgers they eat.

Good to know.

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It was the classic liberal game of Gotcha! using an if/then meme. Though the analogy is false, for one is speech and the other is action at a funeral, the lib was trying to say if it’s okay for Huck to opine, then we should have no problem with Westboro. He would use any such agreement as ‘proof’ Conservatives are evil.

By the same token, if Westboro shouldn’t do its ugly thing, we should agree that Huck can’t speak, either.

Either way, the lib was seeking a win. It seems he’s personally offended that Huck blames whoever (not whatever, like the libs blaming guns). He was trying a cheap childish stunt to score political points against us.

These libs are such carrion-eaters. Westboro showing up at any of the Sandy Hook funerals is something any decent thinking person would agree is lower than low. But since libs are aiming for a political victory more than they are willing to come to common ground with us after such a horrific national tragedy, it’s fair to say which political camp isn’t made up of decent human beings.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Question for the armchair theologians out there:

Did Jesus ever forgive anyone who did not sincerely beg for his mercy? If that is our model, then how are we to handle the intransigent and incorrigible among us?

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Exactly who gives a flying flaming rat’s patootie in space what Mike Huck-a-schmuck thinks?!!!!!

pilamaye on December 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Was wondering the same thing.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Evangelical troglocons do. Between their Big Gubmint love and their immortal soul, they will choose the former any day. The sooner the GOP cleanse their platform of them, the better. God is a private matter; nothing good ever came out of making them public. Case in point: Senator-non-elect Akin ’12, Senator-non-elect Mourdock ’12, candidate-elect McCain ’08.

Archivarix on December 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

WBC has never asked for mercy.

Jesus will forgive anyone who asks right down to the minute they die…but then there comes a time when you must face judgement.

And since we’re not God, judgement must come BEFORE they die. That’s how every system in the world has worked.

MelonCollie on December 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

a church of sociopaths led by a sociopathic patriarchal narcissist who thinks he alone channels the word of ‘god’. they have been known to threaten to picket the funerals of female murder victims as well- even those of the most innocent among us, children. so, no surprise here. westboro are craven ghouls feasting off the pain of others. they are spiritual vampires who revel in death.

the westboror ham fisted attempts to assert control and domination bear a startling resemblance to similar, more successful PR stunt whoring/race mongering/gay and female parts baiting of liberals like obama and his pravda-ettes of the media. foment irrational outrage at particular targets and claim it righteous indignation- then set a rabid mob of sub literate automatons after them. voting booth gold.

all sociopaths like the westboro freaks and the shooter are narcissists. our society encourages their development at an unprecedented rate. re-electing a malicious nothing with a raging case of NPD has only strengthened the standing of sociopathic narcissists at every level of society- hence the need to blame guns or ‘ conservatives’ for tragedies that at core have nothing to do with either. anything to not hold the individual accountable for his behavior and actions. it’s the centerpiece of social justice-misplaced blame to advance revenge oriented tyrannical power grabs. there’s no better way to leverage control over the masses, as hitler observed, than to manipulate them emotionally, always avoiding rational arguments completely.

and even the most haunting heart breaking of tragedies devolves into a vicious and cruel circus.

mittens on December 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think they are asshats. Nothing more, nothing less. And while I think it is deplorable to use one’s religion to behave as an asshat, it does not, in and of itself, make a genuine expression of their religious faith, however fervent, however engaged in asshattery, any less genuine.

Now, which tenets of their religious faith do you maintain that these people have violated so egregiously as to nullify their sincerity of faith? Because, while as a Catholic I can point out thousands of failings both they and I share, many of which the Church would call a mortal sin (Straight down you go, sucker!), I can think of no tenet of either my universal Catholic faith, or of any Baptist congregation I’ve ever heard of, which made asshattery a damnable offense.

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Question for the armchair theologians out there:

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

There may be forgiveness, but there may not be reconciliation.

In a nutshell – forgiveness sets the forgiver free, but does not absolve the offender of any deserved justice.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Question for the armchair theologians out there:

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

There may be forgiveness, but there may not be reconciliation.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Well who did Jesus forgive that did not beg for his mercy? And I seem to recall a few instances in which he forgave sinners and then said, “Go and sin no more.” Is that our model?

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

You left out the part about repentance.

Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents , forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, ” I repent ,” forgive him

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Apologies. It was a quick C&P. I do, in fact, understand the answer to that question to be infinity…

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

MelonCollie on December 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Jesus didn’t tell us not to judge. He warned us that we would be judged by the measure with which we judge. That is an important distinction to me.

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Dan_Yul on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Slimeball Fred Phelps wouldn’t know a nativity scene if he ran over own with his Harley!

pilamaye on December 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think they are a$$hats. Nothing more, nothing less. And while I think it is deplorable to use one’s religion as an excuse to behave as an a$$hat, it does not, in and of itself, make a genuine expression of their religious faith, however fervent, however engaged in a$$hattery, any less genuine.

Now, which tenets of their religious faith do you maintain that these people have violated so egregiously as to nullify their sincerity of faith? Because, while as a Catholic I can point out thousands of failings both they and I share, many of which the Church would call a mortal sin (Straight down you go, sucker!), I can think of no tenet of either my universal Catholic faith, or of any Baptist congregation I’ve ever heard of, which made a$$hattery a damnable offense.

Footnote: I guess my original got eaten for the use of the word @$$hat

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

In that instance, Jesus was with an adulterous woman who needed forgiveness, so He gave her that with the instruction. Context is key.
If someone does not seek forgiveness, they will only receive justice.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

So no one has a problem with Huckabee blaming atheists?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Nope. And I’m an atheist and was watching his mouth move when he said it. One man’s opinion and all that…

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

In addition–and this is all I’ll say about my religious beliefs–we can judge only as God has judged and revealed of Himself through Scripture, not from our own selves, pride, ego, etc.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Question for the armchair theologians out there:

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Good question, how do you forgive someone who refuses to be forgiven? Keep this thought in mind though, when Jesus was crucified he forgave one of the two men being crucified with him. He forgave the one who asked to be forgiven. But what he did not do, is spare that man his life or revoke the order of execution of the Roman Empire.

Jesus Christ accepted that actions have consequences, though he has the power to do anything and freely forgives the sins of those who ask, what you do not see him do anywhere in the Bible, is abrogate the consequences of anyones actions.

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

If someone does not seek forgiveness, they will only receive justice.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Well that woman in question never verbally asked for forgiveness, but I’d say it’s pretty safe to assume she was begging for it in her heart. And yes, I do believe that seeking forgiveness and repenting of wrongdoing is an absolutely essential part of absolution and reconciliation — especially if Jesus is one’s model. I think you and I are pretty much in agreement on most of this question.

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I think that’s a pretty solid inference, that Jesus knew the woman’s heart. Seems to me that we’re in agreement as well. :)

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Do Conservatives hate speech from a viewpoint they don’t like or agree with?

MORE free speech………NOT LESS.

PappyD61 on December 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Fred Phelps=registered democrat.

nazo311 on December 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I’m OK with free speech… but there is always a “price” attached…

The Westboro folks will find that out if they show up in Connecticut…

If they sew the wind, they will reap the whirlwind…

Khun Joe on December 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

JohnGalt23 on December 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Since we both agree that they are @$$hats, I don’t know that there’s much more to say.

I don’t feel a need to quote chapter and verse parts of the Bible that say “don’t show up at an innocent person’s funeral and loudly shout horrible things about the victim while the family is trying to mourn” since I think that’s covered in the “whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me.”

But if it makes a difference, I concede that these people may actually believe in God, and simply choose to live the bizarro-world version in which instead of treating people as they wish to be treated, or seeking to ease people’s pain, they instead intentionally inflict as much as possible at the worst possible time for the family.

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I STRONGLY urge those that might want to ‘contest’ this there take their lead from the Patriot Riders, who have been successfully dealing with these lunatics for years and will SURELY show up in mass for this. The Westboro people are just HOPING for someone to get violent with them so they can sue.
I was deeply honored to work with the Patriot Guard a couple years ago; trust the judgement of these fantastic folks!

michaelo on December 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Do Conservatives hate speech from a viewpoint they don’t like or agree with?

PappyD61 on December 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yes, I hate using the corpses of small children as a cheap political stunt. Is there some reason conservatives should like this behavior?

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Fred Phelps=registered democrat.

nazo311 on December 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

The MSM know. Yet they, and all the trolls here, keep trying to link him to the Tea Party. If Phelps showed up to protest a Tea rally, the MSM talking buttnuts would make a story of ‘Westboro’s affiliation with the Tea Party’.

This sick little group is one of many dividing lines between truth and liberal lies/propaganda.

Read back, please! One lib couldn’t even bother agreeing with our disdain of the Westboros. Instead, he tried making a vile attempt to excoriate us here in hope of scoring cheap political points for his own sick, demented, and ghoulish pride.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Fred Phelps=registered democrat.

nazo311 on December 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Fred Phelps=Certified Slimeball Moron.

pilamaye on December 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

michaelo on December 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

But all that shouting will be disruptive, won’t it?

I say to summon quiet union protection at the funerals, in guise of a union ‘rally’ in support of better security at schools in case they have to muscle the Westboros. Then the unionistas can’t be arrested.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

DrAllecon on December 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Or, they sincerely believe that what they are doing is the correct way to confront those whom they believe have engaged in actions that place their immortal souls in peril. (No, I adamantly disagree with their methods)

At one time in the history of Christianity actions such as those taken by the WBC were not unusual, it’s is how the Inquisitions came to exist. Fortunately Christianity had it’s reformation and wiser cooler and more intelligent minds examined the scriptures and came to the conclusion that you cannot force anyone to repent or be converted or even seek redemption, you can only offer them the choice.

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Ummm, the Funeral Peace and Serenity Union Local 31?

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Ummm, the Funeral Peace and Serenity Union Local 31?

SWalker on December 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I’m thinking more in terms of the CT teacher unions getting time off to attend, since teachers, a principal, and a school psychologist were murdered. Those deceased adults were part of the union, and there are heroes among them who are lost. Plus, wildcat attendance by members of other unions, to show ‘solidarity’.

That should keep Westboro at bay, if not fully absent.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Gee. I wonder why the kooks from Westboro Baptist Asylum would want to demonstrate for Obama?

Of course, Obama, never one to waste a crisis, is hoping that some inflamed Newtown gun owner decides to send a few of them whacky Baptists off to Baptist netherworld where they can hold permanent demonstrations along with their islamic nutter counterparts.

dockywocky on December 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I wonder if the scheistkoff members of WBC understand the phrase:
Accidents Happen?

Missilengr on December 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I wonder if the scheistkoff members of WBC understand the phrase:
Accidents Happen?

Missilengr on December 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Westboro are no different from the trolls we suffer here: Heartless

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Let’s focus on some heroes…

If this doesn’t make you tear up…..

CW on December 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

China reacts

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

The Phelps family want someone to hit them. They want someone to violate their rights so they can raise more money in the civil suits they file afterwards. The more attention they get the longer they will continue their insipid protest. Ignore them or set up something more interesting nearby that gets more attention and they get bored and go home.

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Have you no shame?

Jazz Shaw

Aren’t you being a little harsh with that, Jazz?

Shirley Phelps-Roper

Well … I guess I stand big-time corrected on that score.

Apparently they’re altogether devoid of anything resembling shame.

Are there any Christians at Westboro Baptist Church? I’m convinced there’s a lot of people there who don’t know the Lord. … : (

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Let’s focus on some heroes…

If this doesn’t make you tear up…..

CW on December 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Don’t expect liberals, like libfree, to care. He, and the rest of the trolls we have to suffer, have proven themselves the past three days. Worse, they claim and think they hold the moral high ground!

libfreeordie obviously supports Westboro (run by a Democrat). If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have tried starting a political fight that need not have been engaged. Onviously, sisnce he didn’t decry Westboro, he’s fine them trying to cause harm at the funerals of children only so he can can excoriate Conservatives. that’s all libfreeordie wants–to cause harm to his political enemies.

Nothing else matters to him, all the other trolls around here, and liberals in general.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I wonder if the scheistkoff members of WBC understand the phrase:
Accidents Happen?

Missilengr on December 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Westboro are no different from the trolls we suffer here: Heartless

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM

The difference between Westboro Baptist Church and militant Islamists is . . . . . what, exactly?
I guess WBC members aren’t running around engaging in the ‘hands on’ killing of people (that we know of). They just cheer when someone else does it.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Remember the victims…..

CW on December 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Up til now I have managed to avoid looking at any clips or pictures of those he killed. I just can’t stand to see this sort of thing, not when kids are involved.

I don’t think I will ever understand how anyone can get to a place where something like this makes sense to them.

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

They aren’t militant and they aren’t muslims.

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

That introduces a whole new question: Which is worse among men–killers, or those who cheer them on?

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Agreed! But liberals like libfreeordie are always asking everyone to ‘understand’ the maniacs who kill.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

May the “Law of Unintended Consequences” be especially unkind to this ilk…

Seven Percent Solution on December 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

That’s because they don’t understand human nature. They imagine men to be good and if they are not, they look for a reason within society rather than in the human heart.

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I don’t think liberals care either way, really. A Conservative or Christian can feed a thousand hungry people and clothe them all, but a liberal like libfreeordie would still excoriate that person for politics. I’ve seen such dismissive heartless unloving liberals like him a gazillion times: “If you really had love,” they would self-righteously accuse, “why wasn’t it a thousand and one; why did you stop at a thousand?”

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

So its OK when Mike huckabee says this:

“We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools,” Huckabee said. “Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?”

Huckabee then went on to add that “we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability — that we’re not just going to have be accountable to the police if they catch us, but one day we stand before, you know, a holy God in judgment.”

Mike Huckabee Newton Blame: Watch Mike Huckabee discuss why be believes more school shootings are occuring
“If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that,” Huckabee added.

But unacceptable when Westboro Baptist says the same thing, just louder and more obnoxiously? Is it just that they are profoundly tacky or the very philosophy undergirding them?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Mike Huckabee didn’t credit God with willfully bringing this carnage upon Newton, Ct.
So no one has a problem with Huckabee blaming atheists?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Mike Huckabee didn’t blame atheists.

He blamed institutionallized atheism.

Now, do you need to ask what the difference is?

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

They don’t care. You are right about that. Their concept of good has little relationship to reality. It is more about their emotional commitment to something, regardless of the external realities. Conservatives lack that commitment and therefore cannot be good regardless of what they actually do.

GITMO for example can be both good or bad, largely based on who is doing it.

Their feelings as group are paramount and if you are not part of that group or one of its designated charity cases, you are cast into the outer darkness.

Their desires, intuition, and whims, are their guide with them, so no definition of good is even possible in any lasting sense.

sharrukin on December 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Pure evil.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Now, do you need to ask what the difference is?

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

libfreeordie was just trying to to needle, to deflect the entire subject in some lame hope he can recover some sense of humanity in our eyes. But he lost that on Friday. I, for one, won’t let him get that back far as I’m able among us.

libfreeordie is a typical liberal. He spoke for himself and, with the other trolls, told us all just the kind of common textbook liberal is out there; the type we face.

Not one troll, including libfreeordie, has said one word about the horror of the tragedy in Sandy Hook. All they did was accuse. Not one word of kindness from any of the trolls, not once did any of them say, “Yes, this is awful.” True, some on the MSM said they feel pain, then went right into, “Hey! Can I get an interview?” Or, “How do you feel now about guns?”

Every last troll here for three days has tried to fight us politically, rather than simply saying, “Yes, we’re on the same side. This is horrible, and we agree for once.”

Not one single troll has tried that.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Meh. The revered SCOTUS has spoken. The same that gave us ObamneyCare care is a “tax ” is the same that said Westboro has a right to speak. They failed to judge whether they they would have to suffer the consequences. The founding fathers would have no qualms with opening a can of whupass on these sick clowns. So what to do? Let them protest and let it be known they’re Democrats. The Donks had no problem with Phelps and his gang railing at the funerals of dead soldiers because it was bush’s war so they should have no problem in this case. OTH, if they were protesting at my child’s funeral, I’d mask up and beat the crap out of one or two before getting away. Let that happen a few times and problem solved, since they can’t ID the perps. If I’m caught so be it… sooner or later the nation must realize that the courts is not the venue for every slight or insult, whether real or imagined. Sometimes matter has to be in the hands of we -the -people, individually or as a group.

Frankly I’m getting tired of the media obsession. While my heart goes out to the families, I just don’t care anymore about the ins and outs of every breaking detail. I’ve got my own life to live and family to take care of. Sorry.

AH_C on December 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Easy solution. Town Council does not grant them a protest permit. Local police and Sheriff’s department does not provide police protection.

Their protest will be short lived, if it happens at all.

Hog Wild on December 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

They aren’t militant and they aren’t muslims.

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

The fact that they’re not muslim is a given, but are you seriously going to stand by your “they’re not militant” statement?

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Pure evil.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

You are not, either.

You’re one of the sweetest, annoying people it’s been my pleasure to come across. : )

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

How? The Baptists are not a monolithic group. Southern, Freewill, Conservative etc. In the Westboro church, they may as well be the charter member of one, the Phelps Democratic Baptist convention.

AH_C on December 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM

So no one has a problem with Huckabee blaming atheists?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

You’re an idiot, liveasaslaveanddie.

Solaratov on December 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

It’s absolutely not surprising that you miss the subtleties, troll. Huck is talking about societal ills, moral degeneration and a loss of community philosophy. He couches that argument in a religious tone. “You’ve lost God, hence you’ve lost your moral bearings”.

Westboro looks upon it as a vengeful act. “God hates fags and will kill you for liking fags”.

The only possible connection is religion, but the message from both are extremely different.

You are either a total moron or a crappy troll. You choose.

kim roy on December 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

They certainly aren’t violent or combative. Their protest may range far outside what 99.9% of people consider good taste but they insult everyone… they condemn everyone (Jews, Muslims, Democrats, Republicans, Catholics, Hindus,atheists, gays, Italians, Communists,Obama, Baptists, Vegans, insert any group outside of their horrible little family here).

Their protests are broadly legal. Inflammatory isn’t militant at least the way I would define it. They want attention and reasons to make money in civil suits. I hope they are ignored.

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Westboro looks upon it as a vengeful act. “God hates f&gs and will kill you for liking f%gs”.

You are either a total moron or a crappy troll. You choose.

kim roy on December 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM

You’re an idiot, liveasaslaveanddie.

Solaratov on December 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

He’s mot only an idiot. He’s self-righteous and sanctimonious.

Typical of liberals and the trolls around here.

More, he’s the worst possibility to change minds. libfreeordie is a failure in his every endeavor and enterprise, yet he somehow thinks he’s some pinnacle of presumed morality and imaginary liberal justification.

Liam on December 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So no one has a problem with Huckabee blaming atheists?

libfreeordie on December 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I have a problem with it but I am sure someone, somewhere, maybe even today on this thread, will obsess over it and go on about it to the point where their own harping annoys me just as much.

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

if that is our model, then how are we to handle the intransigent and incorrigible among us?

gryphon202 on December 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Pray that they find mercy because if they don’t they will find justice. The above does not preclude them being brought before earthly justice.

chemman on December 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The Westboro Baptist vampires aren’t even Christian, let alone Baptist. They just call themselves that, but what they really are is a gang of con artists out to provoke lawsuits for money. There’s a special corner in Hell waiting for every last one of that disgusting family, and I hope enough good people show up in Newtown to keep them away from the families.

RebeccaH on December 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I was sure that the Hell’s Angels were going to make them wish they were never born back when they were pulling this crap at the funerals of war vets. I was fully expecting to read news reports about how members of this “church” were found lying dead on the side of a road, or in permanent comas after receiving Louisville Slugger Lobotomies by assailants unknown.

I guess they don’t make outlaw biker gangs like the used to.

leereyno on December 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Huckabee is an opportunistic troll interested only in ingratiating himself with those for whom religion is not a philosophy nor even a belief system, but a cult.

This massacre was caused by the actions of a madman. Our society is to blame somewhat, but only in the sense that we did not identify him as a madman and lock him away in a padded cell.

Lack of directed religious observance in our public schools had nothing to do with anything. Being directed to pray by a teacher would not have made this man sane, and it would not have saved his victims.

leereyno on December 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM

There will be blood. Let’s get some Union thugs down there stat.

DeathtotheSwiss on December 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Tell that to the 9 people that unfriended me on FB over the last 2 days.
*The good ones are still there. grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

lexhamfox on December 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

You don’t have to engage in physical confrontation to qualify as militant. I absolutely consider their protests to be “militant”.

They’re as well organize and inciteful as they come.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Don’t these clowns usually end up scrounging up like 5 people to protest? They will be easily outnumbered by decent people who will drown them out and conceal their filthy presence…

ellifint on December 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Tell that to the 9 people that unfriended me on FB over the last 2 days.
*The good ones are still there. grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I’ll go out on a limb, and guess you stood up for private ownership of firearms . . . YOU GO GIRL ! … : )

listens2glenn on December 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM

How come the maniacs never go after outfits like this? These people are just so hateful, yet I never hear of anyone protesting at their church. I’d love to see marches outside their church on a daily basis calling them on their inconsiderate behavior.

bflat879 on December 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Why’s that four time Democratic primary candidate for Kansas governor and friend of Al Gore going to go and make people mad?

Because he can sue police departments and towns for not protecting him or his free speech rights. He and his clan are professional lawsuit trolls. And why do all the trial lawyers support democrats? Because they can get bigger lawsuits.

No, Democrats have no shame.

CPL 310 on December 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

No, Democrats have no shame.

CPL 310 on December 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

ellifint on December 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

That is what the Westboro people are hoping for. More attention.

They want one person in the crowd of many to get violent with them, so they can turn around and sue that person and the city for failing to protect their civil rights.

V-rod on December 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I guess while they’re repealing the 2nd admendment they can go ahead and repeal the 1st one too. That will make sure this never happens again. I mean, if the 2nd admendment is stupid and outdated (as the progressives seem to think) then they all are, right?

It’s clear what Obama needs to do!!!! *rolls eyes*

Deets on December 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Does the Baptist Church have any measure of control over who uses their name?

The Westboro “Baptist” “Church” is neither Baptist nor are they a Church.

They are a tight organization of deranged FAMILY members whose ideology of Hate prevents them from being affiliated with any established Christian community of any kind.

To repeat:

No Christian leader or Christian denomination supports the actions of the Westboro FAMILY organization.

But in the USA here we have a thing called “Free Speech”, and the deranged members of the Westboro FAMILY jump on that bandwagon to further their hate-filled causes.

They are not Christian at all.

ColtsFan on December 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

As you can tell, WBC live in my corner of the world. I drive by their compound all the time (one or two square blocks — fenced in church and homes). Part of the story that has gotten lost over the last 10 years is that the Phelps clan only protested gays prior to 9/11. Never got any national publicity — they outed any number of gays who worked in broadcasting or politics in KS and then they started protesting at AIDS victims funerals. Still no great publicity prior to their protests at military funerals.

My uncle a police chief in a small Nebraska town near Topeka had to arrange for protection for them when they planned on protesting at a fallen soldier’s funeral several winters ago. Luckily we had a freezing drizzle the night before, so they bailed. Uncle had several volunteers ready to be snipers on rooftops if needed:)

But as I’ve told my sons, it’s a testament to American tolerance and freedom that they have not been assaulted or shot yet.

My guess is that they won’t be at Newtown. Two Topeka police officers were gunned down last night so they will be able to entertain themselves at home this week. I look for them to be out in force to demonstrate at the funeral homes and services for the fallen men. One was a retired military vet so I expect the Patriot Guard will be helping protect the families.

kansaskaye on December 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Why can’t the psychos who feel a need to take a lot of people with them on the way out go after people like these instead of the innocent school kids?

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What can these people credibly protest?

TimBuk3 on December 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I’d love to have the opportunity to go to the Westboro Baptist “Church” with signs like “You Deserved It You Psychotic Demons” and scream and yell at them for awhile about how evil they are.

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM

What can these people credibly protest?

TimBuk3 on December 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Nothing. They have no credibility.
They just love to protest and hurt other people.

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Dear God:
How could you allow this monster to come into our school and slaughter our babies like this?

To which God replied:
You can’t hang this one on me, I’m not allowed in YOUR schools.

Pole-Cat on December 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM

V-rod on December 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yup. Phelps and his clan are actually all lawyers. Go Figure.

Phelps is a two-bit extortionist litigator and it got him disbarred. He doesn’t care about the constitution or even gays for that matter. But most all his kids are still lawyers (thanks to the plea bargain) and business is good.

Right here is all you need to know about the Fred Phelps clan.

If anyone touches them they sue the city for not protecting their rights and they settle for what they can get. That’s how they make a living. Tax dollars out of YOUR pocket.

Pole-Cat on December 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

because they are pathetic loser … and with the 24 hr news cycle
if he does something that shocks people and creates a media
circus he will be famous … people will remember him as a monster
not a pathetic loser …. he picks children because they are helpless
they can not defend themselves … he goes where guns are rare
or non existent … he isn’t shooting up police stations …
when the news no longer talks about him … only the victims
and then only briefly …

conservative tarheel on December 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

conservative tarheel on December 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Ya – I understand all that. I was posing a somewhat rhetorical question.

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Dear God:

To which God replied:
You can’t hang this one on me, I’m not allowed in YOUR schools.

Pole-Cat on December 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM