Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Sunday she would introduce a bill re-instating the federal ban on assault weapons on the first day of the new Congress in January…

President Obama “is going to have a bill to lead on,” Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” The measure, she said, would aim to take “weapons of war off the streets of our cities.” “It can be done,” she added.

“It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets,” Feinstein said of her proposal.

***

“I think we could be at a tipping point for two reasons, a tipping point where we might actually get something done,” Schumer said on CBS’s “Face the Nation”. “First this was not a single incident, it followed a series of others.”

Schumer noted mass shootings earlier this year in Colorado, where a masked gunman killed 12 in a movie theater, Oregon, where a 22-year-old man killed two with an assault rifle, and Wisconsin, where the estranged husband of a spa employee, killed three people.

“Second, of course, it involved children,” Schumer said of the Newtown killings…

“Reinstate the assault weapons ban, limit the size of clips to maybe no more than 10 bullets per clip, and the third would be to make it harder for mentally unstable people to get guns,” he said.

***

They all say something must be done – the same thing they say after each horrific mass murder. But nothing is ever done. The truth is that Capitol Hill has been paralyzed on gun issues for most of this generation, having last approved major gun laws, including the “Brady bill” and the now-expired assault weapons ban, in 1994. Since then, the needle has moved toward fewer restrictions on guns and ammunition…

But there’s little reason for congressional gun-control advocates to believe that this tragedy will spark a rush to legislate. When Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House from January 2009 to January 2011, they didn’t reauthorize the assault weapons ban or put any other gun laws on the books. Party leaders have been afraid of a potential political backlash against culturally conservative Democrats from swing states, some of whom want to keep the National Rifle Association in their camp – or at least on the sidelines…

[Rep. Carolyn] McCarthy has said she’s willing to embarrass Obama publicly if he doesn’t take up the issue – and that’s what she conveyed to the White House before Friday’s killings.

“I agree this is not the time to talk about [gun control],” she told POLITICO’s Reid Epstein. “It should have been talked about years ago when we started having these mass shootings. It should have been done when Gabby Giffords was shot.”

***

Hollywood has responded to the rampage at a Connecticut elementary school by pulling back on its offerings, and one star says the entertainment industry should take some responsibility for such violence.

Jamie Foxx, one of the industry’s biggest stars, said Saturday as he promoted Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming ultra-violent spaghetti Western-style film about slavery, “Django Unchained,” that actors can’t ignore the fact that movie violence can influence people.

“We cannot turn our back and say that violence in films or anything that we do doesn’t have a sort of influence,” Foxx said in an interview on Saturday. “It does.”

***

In a discussion about America’s mental health system, Crowley and asked Hickenlooper whether the “culture of guns” creates a situation in which gun crimes are inevitable. “There is very little you can do to stop a determined person, do you feel that way,” Crowley asked.

Hickenlooper agreed wholeheartedly, and said we need to have “more people paying attention and trying to detect folks that are unstable” or “on the verge of real trouble.”

He went on to say our violent culture, including the “depiction of assault weapons again and again” in video games and the media contributes to gun crimes. The governor also suggested that the criminals might, in their minds, “become part of the video games” when they carry out these tragic crimes.

***

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me…

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am Jason Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness

I don’t believe my son belongs in jail. The chaotic environment exacerbates Michael’s sensitivity to sensory stimuli and doesn’t deal with the underlying pathology. But it seems like the United States is using prison as the solution of choice for mentally ill people. According to Human Rights Watch, the number of mentally ill inmates in U.S. prisons quadrupled from 2000 to 2006, and it continues to rise—in fact, the rate of inmate mental illness is five times greater (56 percent) than in the non-incarcerated population.

No one wants to send a 13-year old genius who loves Harry Potter and his snuggle animal collection to jail. But our society, with its stigma on mental illness and its broken healthcare system, does not provide us with other options. Then another tortured soul shoots up a fast food restaurant. A mall. A kindergarten classroom. And we wring our hands and say, “Something must be done.”

***

Brooks said that, while he greatly admires Mayor Bloomberg, he is unsure that a big city mayor is the most effective spokesperson for the cause of gun control.

“One of the problems with this debate; it’s become a values war. It’s perceived as urban versus rural. And, frankly, it’s perceived as an attack on the lifestyle of rural people by urban people. And, I admire Mayor Bloomberg enormously – there’s probably no politician I agree with more – but it’s counterproductive to have him as the spokesperson for the gun law movement. There has to be more respect and more people, frankly, from rural and red America who are participants in this.”

***

“I’m not sure so — and I’m sure I’ll get nailed for this — I wouldn’t want one person in a school armed, ready for this kind of thing,” Bennett said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“It has to be someone who is trained, it has to be someone who is responsible,” he said. “But my God, if you can prevent this kind of thing.”

***

“It’s time for the president, I think, to stand up and lead and tell this country what we should do.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

I wish to God (the principal) had had an M4 in her office, locked up, so when she heard gunfire she pulls it out … and takes him out, takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids,” the Republican from Texas said on “Fox News Sunday.”…

“Every mass killing of more than three people in recent history has been in a place where guns were prohibited, except for one,” he said, arguing for looser gun laws so more people can be armed for self-protection. “They know no one will be armed.”

Via Gateway Pundit:

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

Now I’m goin’ to bed.

cozmo on December 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I got my P238 before Colt re-issued the Mustang. I don’t think one could go wrong with either brand.

Goodnight cozmo.

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Yeah, Renee Olsted is just a phenom, and has a new album out that’s really good.

Anyway, as to the QOTD, all us Second Amendment peeps need to be careful of agreeing with the enemy lines about tightening mental health restrictions for firearm ownership and purchase. That would be the poison pill that would allow them to decide who owns firearms and who doesn’t, based on purely on their politics. Very dangerous slippery slope issue.

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

katy the mean old lady on December 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I haven’t seen her post since the election..:(

PS..I miss her posts..:)

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

…I miss HER!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Me too. Hope she is reading this.

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

wow.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

listens2glenn on December 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

And there’s L2G in good form.

Hm. I leave, things improve. I’ll just ignore that.

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Sorry, I forgot the link.

What’s this all about?

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Plus, even though one of the kids were Mormon, there was no Mormon religious representation. The land has gone nuts.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

listens2glenn on December 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

And shortly after that, they were found to also be tasty!

climbnjump on December 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Yes they were. . : )

listens2glenn on December 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Your birthday wasn’t ‘awful’. The results of an election were. We’ve had bad election results before and we survived. We’ll survive until the news is better this time, too. :)

I’d have been here more often, but I had some issues to attend to, closing down my consulting business among them, as well as a couple of personal matters. I’ve been trying to stop by, at least for an hour or so, most evenings.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

re. Flora

She said she didn’t want to hear any more LIB stuff and wasn’t going to come back until it stopped. But now, I suspect she’s just disconnected at the moment, traveling a different circle for a bit.

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

. She’s upset with the L.i.B., saying that her grandkids don’t deserve it.

They don’t, but the stupid land does.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

…hey!…I don’t like it that people answer the trolls…instead of slapping them!…I’d have left in disgust a long time ago… seeing all these intelligent people all of sudden having brain farts whem it come to those clowns…but it is what it is!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

ALT might want to consider the Sig P250 subcompact in 9 mm. DAO, no other safety, ambidextrous slide catch and mag release. I choose 9mm as a compromise between stopping power and over penetration. An excellent CCW choice, IMHO. I use Hornady Critical Defense JHP.

tngmv on December 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Please look at the toxic, disturbing lives you are all leading your children down

DBear

Oh really? Doesn’t get any more toxic than this. You people are ghouls.

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Well, we have a new year coming, so I want to get on with it! Gotta keep fighting the good fight. Are you writing?

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

her i said hi

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

will do

you know what the hardest cott would be you might not get the answer cause sentences would never end anything could be construed as the meaning to whatever is being said and youd sound like the guy on the iraq war was wrong blog

punctuation-cott

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

. I’ve been trying to stop by, at least for an hour or so, most evenings.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

…*whispering*…(and…you are loved for it!)

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Another puff piece for Obama, as he and his lapdog MSM make a massacre all about him.

I wonder if barf bags are covered under O-care.

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

We had a discussion in a “safety meeting” at work a couple of months ago. They were talking about what to do if there was an agitated customer and the people up front at the reception desk were afraid. They all talked about having “code words” and sending an email for help and all that crap. I said “how about letting people who have CCW licenses keep their guns with them?” since it is in the handbook that we can’t have guns at work.

Silence. Accusatory looks. Outrage. Someone even said “We need to get those stickers up on the doors!” I argued that that was silly, because the sign on the door isn’t going to do anything. Either we needed metal detectors at each door with security, or nothing, because a sticker won’t stop anyone.

For weeks after that, people would ask me if I was packing. I would say “I have it in my car, but not in the building, because I want to keep my job.” I answered some “No, but you would never know, would you?”

cptacek on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

No issue with her. The great lady is free to choose.

You’re free to choose.

So far, all on HA are free to choose.

Might not be for so long.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

The problem is that those who need attended care aren’t getting it, and those with psychiatric issues who should be under the care of a qualified psychiatrist, perhaps even mediated, aren’t getting that, either.

People are too hesitant to admit that someone has a problem and seek the kind of help necessary to see that the individual in question receive appropriate care. It wasn’t Autism or Asperger’s, or guns, that caused this problem. It was deep seated emotional disturbances that were generally known, yet were allowed to go untreated.

Loughner, Holmes, Lanza… all had one thing in common. They weren’t receiving the care and supervision that they desperately required.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I’ve been trying to stop by, at least for an hour or so, most evenings.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Good thing…because no one could do your job.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

vomit receptacles are one dollar extra during air travel now. Mini liquor bottles are free if you have an occasional criminal disposition like myself.

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

lol! Thank you very much. You’re very sweet and very kind. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

punctuation-cott

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

noIthinkthehardestcottwouldbeonewhereyoudidn’tusespacesthatwouldmakethingsreallyhardtoread.

spacecott

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

So far, all on HA are free to choose.

Might not be for so long.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

?

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I don’t need to fly anywhere. But I’m all for sending liberals to Mars. I mean, the way they think, they’re halfway there already.

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

The ACLU and Obama will declare us out of order for seeking help for them, but will declare us enemies of the world, for exercising our right to the constitutional 2nd amendment.

Obama would issue an EO tonight, if he didn’t know better. It’s coming, but he’ll do this for a bit longer.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Yahoo…Figures.

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Not a single life was saved at Sandy Hook by a Politician. In fact, Politicians allowing emergency funds for schools to expire might have made things worse. That won’t stop a Politician from passing an after-the-fact law that helps no one, doesn’t even shut the “barn door after the horses were let out”, and pounding their chest while declaring what a “hero” they are.

williamg on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I wonder how many of them were medicated for ADD/ADHD and if there is a correlation.

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

…?

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

You’re asking me? You know the answer. If Oaf will be busy taking your freedom away, you’ll be busy defending it and you and yours. You ain’t gon’ be here.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

punctuation-cott

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Prol:
If we offend, it is with our good will.
That you should think, we come not to offend,
But with good will. To show our simple skill,
That is the true beginning of our end.
Consider then we come but in despite.
We do not come as minding to content you,
Our true intent is. All for your delight,
We are not here. That you should here repent you,
The actors are at hand; and, by their show,
You shall know all that you are like to know.

Theseus:
This fellow doth not stand upon points.

Lysander:
He hath rid his prologue like a rough colt; he knows not the stop. A good moral, my lord: it is not enough to speak, but to speak true.

Hippolyta:
Indeed he hath played on his prologue like a child on a recorder; a sound, but not in government.

Theseus:
His speech was like a tangled chain; nothing impaired, but all disordered. Who is next?

Midsummer Night’s Dream

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Yahoo…Figures.

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

If Yahoo blew any more sunshine up Obama’s a$$, he’d light up like a Christmas tree.

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

you may be right. I’ve been bested.

Of course the best way to speak gibberish is to give the same speech about obstructionist Slurpee drinkers who crave car keys in ditches for over a year.

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Yes. Thanks for asking. :) I’m a full time novelist and very happy about the transition. I still work at least 8 hours a day, but now its all on my own projects, which is incredibly satisfying and liberating.

That’s what shutting down the consulting business was about. I finally reached a position wherein I can concentrate on the transition to novels. I had been planning it for the last four years or so. The election results simply gave me a strong reason to move my timetable up. I’m thinking of publishing independently, as well. Going rogue, as they say, became much more viable with the unmitigated success of the new media and the digital age.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Sadly, you are correct. More sadly, over 50% of US voters are foolish enough to fall for that gibberish.

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well done! :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Excellent question.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

“With just one single exception, the attack on congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson in 2011, every public shooting since at least 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns.”

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Outstanding! I am looking forward to reading your work. I remember when Doc Zero was a hit around here and some of us were his early fans. I can be an early fan of yours now!

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Liam on December 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I believe Douglas Adams sent them all to deep space in cryo sleep.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I don’t think he’ll manage that EO. They tested the waters, and his political clout, with that insipid and calculated ‘Small Arms Agreement’ the UN tried to float. It was dead before arrival.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

bloomberg is on the QOTD! I love that man. He’s that leader we all need. A uniter of the people, a fascistic gentleman and a patriot.

If he was a foot taller I’d follow him into battle.

BoxHead1 on December 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Well, thank you, Ken. I’m already a fan of yours. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

May it be so!

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

The truth is, guns stop mass shootings. In some cases, the intended victims are carrying guns. In other cases, the deranged shooter takes his own life. But generally, violent situations end when trained law enforcement shows up – with guns.

That being the case, why wouldn’t we want more trained people with guns around, even if they weren’t actually law enforcement officers? There are all sorts of issues, but gun-free zones clearly aren’t any safer from gun violence.

hawksruleva on December 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Wow. That’s an oldie… and fairly obscure, too! :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Oh, you know The Rattles? Cool!

You must know this great one by them, then, which could be about Michelle 0 aka Aunt Esther, Nancy Piglosi, Shrillary, Maxine Waters, Barney Frank, etc.

I like both versions and their videos!

The Witch

The Witch (1988)

Anti-Control on December 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for the info..:)

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thanks for the info..:)

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Anti-Control on December 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

It’s a pity that the producers of ‘Blair Witch’ didn’t use that first video for the film. The setting, tone, and look, area all a match. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I want a signed copy of the first book. Hard Cover. I’m not a liberal, so I will purchase the book myself. Just gotta get you to sign. ;-)

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You’re welcome. Pray for her grandkids. They deserve a better land. So do all the kids/grandkids.

————-
Correction

I’ve been trying to stop by, at least for an hour or so, most evenings.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Good thing…because no one could do your (HA) job.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Not at all related to the professional writing…

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Well, goodnight all.

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Tango Flamenco

And now… the dance!

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Good night, AZfederalist. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

lol! I understood what you meant, and you’re far too kind. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Good Night AZ.

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’m . . . it feels . . . but I thought . . . urg

*poof*

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Dittos on what the other commenters said, but there’s also this: Who exactly – draws the line between who’s fit to own a firearm and who’s not, based on a subjective evaluation of a person’s thoughts? This is a gaping invitation to empowering a cadre of real “thought police”. Think TSA types at your door with guns and clipboards, interviewing you and your family with no notice.

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I’m working with some friends from the industry who’ve also decided to go independent in the literary world. Renaissance people who’ve embraced the digital age. Publication and marketing are still in the offing, as I’m still polishing the work. I’ve got the luxury, finally, of being able to keep the work until I’m satisfied with it. I’ve worked very hard for a long time to get to this point. It’s almost intoxicating. :)

I’d be delighted to sign a copy for you, of course, when I market the work. It’s very kind of you to ask. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Calling it a night folks. Not sure who is still around. Jackie, always my pleasure. Axe, Schad, Dire, Sparky, I enjoyed Take care!

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

We all look alike to progressives; they can’t tell us apart. :)

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That’s why it would be so easy for them to herd us into camps…and then into ovens.
We aren’t real to them; and we certainly aren’t individuals who deserve rights and freedom.

And good ol’ D(ouche)Bear would be right there – helping to load us into freight cars for the trip to the camp…for the greater good, of course.

Solaratov on December 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

;-)

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

AZfederalist on December 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

..that’s weird isn’t it?…everytime….the emphasis is always about the gun debate… in the weeks following these instances.
It is later that you find out they had psychiatric problems or were chemically imbalanced in some form…and quit seeking treatment or were not taking their medication…but you don’t hear anything further from the MSM…………SO!…why?…….and WHO THE PUCK IS RESPONSIBLE!…Let’s just go to the next incident…the time frame/pattern of these ‘mass shootings’ seem to have changed in frequency from the last hundred years…and do we wait for JugEars to get more face time…AGAIN! ….it’s a yearly occurrence lately…WHY?

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Oh, and KOOLAID2!

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

There has been such an increase in gun and ammo sales since Obama was nominated, that one has to wonder if BHO is getting a piece of the action.

This increase is due solely to Barry and Co.’s radical politics and incessant Leftist posturing.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

haha true!

That second vid was entertaining too, in an 80′s sort of way!

Talking about “Blair Witch” reminded me of this from “Return of the Living Dead”, plus I mentioned ghouls earlier in this thread. Axe should like it. \m/

45 Grave – “Party Time” (Zombie Version)

Anti-Control on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Medical parameters have long been established for determining competence and sanity… and these already include clauses regarding firearm ownership and usage. I think defending the laws we have and seeing that those parameters and statutes are not broadened is key.

I’d also like to point out that Lanza tried to purchase a rifle and was declined. The law worked perfectly. It was his mother’s lack of judgement in assessing her son’s condition and the wisdom of allowing him ready access to her firearms that was faulty. Responsibility is key. Those weapons should not have been accessible to a young man whose own mother knew was unstable, disturbed, and potentially violent.

I’m not saying she shouldn’t have owned the weapons. I’m saying that her son should not have been able to gain access to them or ammunition for them.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

someone seriously pulled out his i pad to show me the horrors of RTW legislation – the danger to our humanistic Unions. I think it was Ezra Klein.

I asked him if the small starving children who manufactured said i pad felt the same. He huffed and said something about saving trees and outlawing contraception. Idiots are so dumb.

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

If he was a foot taller I’d follow him into battle.

BoxHead1 on December 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

…I see you don’t use sarc tags either…or sign as RockHead!
(;->)

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

…and quit lurking!….will ya?
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

KCB on December 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Goodnight, Ken. Sleep well, and it’s been a pleasure to spend some time with you again. We must do it more often. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

KCB, take good care

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Axe on December 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Goodnight, Axe. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Solaratov on December 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

if DBear was there I’d have Yogi accidentally push him off the train and steal his pic-a-nic basket

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Axe poofed but he will be back.

Tell him im doing a cottcott. No more cotts for a while.

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Lascia ch’io pianga – Handel ( Rinaldo)- Bartolli

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Are you going somewhere?

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

YEP, that seems to be the case. Most likely. Maybe some friends will give us more clues.

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Nope.

That just reminded me of a Beatles song: he’s a real nowhere man

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Very well-stated top to bottom. But I know these people – this will now become a “mental health crisis” that will be exploited to the Nth degree, and it threatens every one with politically incorrect thoughts.

It doesn’t matter that the current law worked to keep him from purchasing a firearm (and I’d love to know the real facts on that aspect)- obviously it wasn’t enough now, was it? Clearly, if the son was known to be nuts, they should have also investigated his family too, right? Where do you draw the lines?

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Casta Diva – Bellini ( Norma) – Renee Fleming

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I wish to dedicate this one (great rock song) to every dour leftist loser who doesn’t believe in either the 2nd Amendment or the inherent right to self-defense.

Storm – “Machine Gun”

Anti-Control on December 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

But “…no matter where you go… there you are.” :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Buckaroo bonsai?

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

You’re very sweet and very kind. :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

…(sorry!…I’m distracted watching a couple of different CHRISTMAS CAROL‘s on AMC…two of three kids are home from school already…and it’s one of the few traditions here!)………..I’m not sweet…and I’m not nice!…I’m the only diCk here at Hot Air… to the trolls on this site!…that’s my purpose here! (:->)
…I let others spin the tunes (that I enjoy)…offer the links that keep me informed…and do the intelligent debating!…I’m here to only pi$$ on those… that don’t!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

But “…no matter where you go… there you are.” :)

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Plus, our good Sparky might not know where he’s going but he’ll get there faster.

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

And you’re superb!

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM

And good ol’ D(ouche)Bear

…uses ammonia or turpentine for everything…instead of vinegar or other commercially advertised products for bodily functions!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Chocolate Piano (it’s yummy!)

Anti-Control on December 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Life in the Soviet Union

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

And you’re superb!

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I agree..:)

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM

…no!…you are!…and when it comes to other idiotic views…you are the fairest person here!…(sometimes too fair!.. *and it gets on my nerves*)
(:_>)

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Harbingeing on December 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

It’s our responsibility to see that the LEFT doesn’t get to tamper with existing statute. In this case we have the upper hand. We needn’t move to seek new legislation, simply defend the statutes we already have, and the Constitution. Fortunately, the Second Amendment is very clear. There is no ambiguity for the LEFT to seek to manipulate on this issue.

As to the mental health laws, the LEFT has recently tried to do just as you say, in claiming that any veteran with enough brain trauma to render them incompetent to handle their own monetary affairs should be denied their right to own firearms. That legislation was also dead on arrival. The critical element wrong with their argument is that monetary issues are essentially mathematical in nature and the brain is a complex organ. Simply because someone’s cognitive abilities are impaired in recognizing mathematics doesn’t mean that their other abilities are impaired or that their judgement in other areas isn’t sound.

Medically speaking, even with all the recent advancements in medicine and science, we really KNOW very little about how the brain functions, as least vast areas of it, and that is an issue that the courts will not find themselves competent to determine.

As much as I agree with you that the LEFT longs to be able to use mental competence issues, with them in charge of saying who is competent and who is not, to determine a person’s rights, I’m equally positive that they aren’t going to be able to accomplish that goal.

Just as you point out ‘it’s a slippery slope’ when it comes to gun ownership, it’s also a ‘slippery slope’ when it comes to many of the progressives pet issues and agenda items. Such legislation could, and would, be turned on them. They won’t embrace it for that very reason.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Made me laugh!

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Dire Straits on December 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

…we need to find Dave before the next election…obviously November showed us…we need EVERY vote!
That’s your job!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

As The Years Go Passing By – Moore

Alas, I must bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

…yep!…you’re a good writer!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

(:_>)

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

They are always illiberal. Don’t need to be them in regards to free speech. May they croke, from hypocrisy.

To yer nerves…I like you anyway :)

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

The war on boys is coming home to roost.

rickyricardo on December 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Jackie can turn a phrase for sure.

She prolly turns heads too .

SparkPlug on December 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM