Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

The massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., bloodiest attack of its kind in the nation’s history, stands as a possible tipping point after Washington’s decade-long aversion even to talking about stricter gun laws…

It remains to be seen whether Sandy Hook will break the usual cycle of universal shock fading into political reality. That reality is based on a combination of powerful gun lobbying and public opinion, which has shifted against tougher gun control and stayed that way. However lawmakers react this time, it’s the president’s call whether the issue fades again or takes its place alongside the legacy-shaping initiatives of his time, with all the peril that could mean for his party…

One certainty in the weeks to come is that both parties in Washington will carefully watch public opinion on gun control and the Second Amendment, and whether any impact lasts. Opposition to stricter laws has proved resilient.

***

[A]dvocates of gun control say the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown might be different for two reasons: the victims were children, eliciting a gut-wrenching response across the country, and the National Rifle Association proved to be a political paper tiger in the 2012 election.

“The political atmosphere has clearly changed because now we have solid evidence that the N.R.A. just was not effective in the last election cycle,” said Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control advocacy group. “This just has a feel that they won’t get away with doing nothing this time.”

***

Pivotal players in any legislative action would be the half dozen Democratic senators up for re-election in 2014 who represent states that tend to be more protective of gun owners’ rights: Sen. Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota, and Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska…

Two other Democrats also crucial to any Senate action would be Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and senator-elect Joe Donnelly of Indiana…

Whether Obama decides that he wants to lead an effort to persuade Congress to enact new measures to limit access to guns may in part depend on how the public responds in the next week.

***

Adam Lanza, the troubled nerd who turned a Connecticut school into a slaughterhouse, learned how to shoot under the watchful eye of his demanding mom Nancy.

“She said she would often go target shooting with her kids,” landscaper Dan Holmes said.

Nancy Lanza wound up being the first of her son’s 27 victims when he used one of her guns to shoot her dead.

Holmes, who often mowed the grass at the Lanza’s sprawling Newtown home, told Reuters the doomed mom was proud of her arsenal and once showed him a “high end rifle” she had just purchased.

***

U.S. school districts have spent millions of dollars on metal detectors, security cameras and elaborate emergency-response plans since the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School, but almost nothing could have prevented Friday’s massacre at a Connecticut elementary school, security experts say…

Still, Bond said, there is no way for students and teachers to protect themselves when someone begins shooting with a weapon. He said even a security guard and locked doors could not have stopped the killer.

Without knowing the school’s security system, Kenneth Trump, president of consulting firm National School Safety and Security Services, stresses that schools need to be “looking for these lone wolf actors.”

“As a father, I would love to have a 100 percent guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen in my kids’ school, but as a rational school safety professional I know nobody can give me a 100 percent guarantee on safety,” said Trump.

***

3) We must find a way to make it more difficult for the non-adjudicated mentally ill to come into possession of weapons. This is crucially important, but very difficult, because it would require the cooperation of the medical community — of psychiatrists, therapists, school counselors and the like — and the privacy issues (among other issues) are enormous. But: It has to be made more difficult for sociopaths, psychopaths and the otherwise violently mentally-ill (who, in total, make up a small portion of the mentally ill population) to buy weapons.

4) People should have the ability to defend themselves. Mass shootings take many lives in part because no one is firing back at the shooters. The shooters in recent massacres have had many minutes to complete their evil work, while their victims cower under desks or in closets. One response to the tragic reality that we are a gun-saturated country is to understand that law-abiding, well-trained, non-criminal, wholly sane citizens who are screened by the government have a role to play in their own self-defense, and in the defense of others (read The Atlantic article to see how one armed school administrator stopped a mass shooting in Pearl Mississippi). I don’t know anything more than anyone else about the shooting in Connecticut at the moment, but it seems fairly obvious that there was no one at or near the school who could have tried to fight back.

***

Imagine that you ran a school district, and some rich foundation, worried about school shootings, gave you the following offer: We’ll hire armed security guards for you, who could try to do something about the school shooter. These aren’t going to be highly trained police officers, just typical security guards, given some modest training and subjected to basic background checks. It’s not like they’re highly skilled; security guards rarely are. But they have a basic understanding of how to shoot, and when to shoot…

But wait! The foundation has just learned that its investment portfolio has done very badly, and the grant doesn’t go through. But someone else suggests: Instead of hiring special-purpose security guards, why not take some of your existing employees — teachers, administrators, and the like — and offer them a deal: They’d go through some modest training and subjected to basic background checks, and in exchange they’d be given the right to carry the same guns that the security guards would have had…

Is there some reason why the armed security guard is safe and helpful, but the armed teacher, administrator, or staffer — er, the teacher with a volunteer security guard license — would be useless and a menace?

***

The general decline in gun-related violence and the inability even of mental health professionals to identify future mass killers should be the essential starting points of any serious policy discussion generated by the absolutely horrific slaughter at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. We should also add a third starting point: Few good policies come from rapid responses to deeply felt injuries. Many of the same people who are now calling for immediate action with regard to gun control recognize that The Patriot Act, rushed through Congress in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, was a terrible piece of legislation that ultimately did nothing to protect Americans even as it vastly expanded the state’s ability to surveil law-abiding citizens. There’s no reason to think that federal, state, or local gun control laws promulgated now would result in anything different.

If hard cases make bad laws, it’s even more true that rare crimes make terrible public policy. In a piece for Quartz, journalist Lenore Skenazy recalls that the deadliest school massacre in U.S. history took place in Michigan in 1927, when a disgruntled school-board official blew up 38 people, including himself. She writes that the real difference between now and then is the immediacy of the media, which shrinks the distance between victims and the rest of us. Even as that allows us to have more empathy for the grieving, it creates the conditions for an overreaction that will ultimately be little more than symbolic

***

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

G&R version is good..But I will stay “traditional” and say Bob Dylan version is the best..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM

…cripes!…I had to just hang up on my liberal sister on the left coast…she was screaming and literally crying/screaming at me about my answer to what happened to the 20 children. I said that until they address “mental health” in this country…and they just sedate some of these kids from infancy to adulthood while they sit in front of the video screen killing people everyday for a decade or too…maybe the outcome would have been different if a teacher or two had been carrying!…no! she wanted to address the guns and I should be calling my congressman or something!…I must have yelled back at least 30-40 times to name me ONE mayor, governor, senator, or congressman that MENTIONED MENTAL HEALTH in this country in the last 24 hours!….(or did the word “guns” come up?)…I know psych hospitals in the last 40 years have been closed left and right the last 40 years…and the progressives don’t clamour about that as they do the availability of guns!…and she just did what they do…”I’m at fault”… with my ‘attitude’ that these parents are not going to be able to hug their kids ever again…because I suggested maybe some of the teachers should have been armed. Arming TEACHER’s she yelled at me 30-40 times!…I’m nuts!
The Arizona kid wasn’t stable…The Mall shooter wasn’t stable…the Colorado Theatre shooter wasn’t stable…and the grade school shooter wasn’t right…but its the NRA’s fault that they were able to obtain guns!….W T F ?

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Tragic events in Conn. Depressing.
And the Single Party Media will twist it to an extreme.
One thing touched on in earlier comments. One fact brings the correlation factor of ALL these multi-victim shooting stories to within epsilon of 1.0 and that is:
GUN FREE ZONE
Think about it media.

Missilengr on December 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Very good post..I think you make some good points in your post..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Of course – I wasn’t thinking in my previous post – we do have trigger locks. Perhaps they should be built directly into the hardware of the gun to prevent someone from not using one.

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Maybe you could wear your cowboy hat. Or better yet, train all those 6-year olds to use AK-47s and gun him down.

lostmotherland on December 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The low life communist scum speaks and shows everyone how stupid he is… No it is not the 6 years old who will shooting the murderers, it is the adult teachers and administrators…

Folks, what the communist scum “lostmotherland” said above is the absolute proof how stupid liberals are… He is so stupid that he could not think for a second how we can destroy his laughable statement in a millisecond… ..

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

No problem..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

It’s at least got to have a big bow :)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Naughty girl. ;-)

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Am I the only one who believes 0bama’s “tears” were fake? I mean, maybe they were real in the sense that they were a salty discharge from his tear ducts, but I can’t help but think that they were stimulated more by politics than emotion.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I just don’t think the guy has a sincere bone in his body. This is a guy who referred to the deaths of 4 Americans in Benghazi as “bumps in the road.”

Ugly on December 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You’re definitely not alone. The first thing I thought when he dabbed at his eye was that he had taken lessons from Clinton or a cast member from the Young and the Restless. He blatantly lied to family members of the Benghazi victims. Let’s not forget that the 14 murdered soldiers at Ft. Hood were casualties of “workplace violence”. So he’s gonna take his entourage up to CT, insert a subtle veiled reference about gun control and make sure the cameras get a close up when that lone single tear rolls down his cheek. Far be it for him to let a crisis go to waste.

TxAnn56 on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

okay Troll …
in Israel all the teachers are trained and armed … even the arabs
do not attack Israeli schools since they started it ..
so armed teachers who stop attacks like this …
BTW this is the last time I will respond to you… I am declaring Trollcott

conservative tarheel on December 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You are to nice and too polite calling this creature “lostmotherland” a troll… He is a low life communist scum with an IQ less than 90…

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

LML did give us some entertainment today, along with sesqui.

Seriously, when libs post here and other forums where they don’t have their own echo chamber, the stupidity shown knows no bounds, it seems.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM

He is my enemy.

Bmore on December 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

All she could do was yell at you. :) She couldn’t make an argument. Don’t let that false guilt stick to you either, powered drink flavoring. That’s just someone trying to lever themselves into a place of moral superiority.

Um.

Shake it off, shake it off. :)

Family’s more difficult.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Ugly on December 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Real tears can only come from someone who has a soul. Hence, your belief is sound.

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

There’s a marxist that needs beat up on the boehner headline. Triple.

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I just want to repeat a call for securing the facilities themselves. Even if we are a progressive society where no one has guns but cops and mass murderers, and no one is allowed to interfere with mass murderers but cops, we might be moving into a time of renewed violence, and the places we store our kids can have a few inconveniences in their structure that protects kids from the people who want to kill them — like terrorists.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

That’s one thing I haven’t heard mentioned in any of this, especially with almost all of the “journalists” busy running around inveigling against our Rights – Beslan. It will happen here, as Obama keeps bolstering the Jihad. Then we shall surely wish we had taken steps to harden our schools. Especially our primary schools.

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM

That is true. I can not imagine that anyone listens to him. I do think Obama was effected by the killings, who wasn’t? But he can not even come up with a budget, much less heal the nation.

Terrye on December 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’d agree he was affected, but not like normal, healthy people were. Listen to his tone when he spoke – it got ugly.

Remember, he is the moron who told Sarah Brady that he was “working under the radar” about gun control, and that he is the jerkoff behind Fast and Furious. His heart is cold.

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Ugly on December 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Nope – I thought that right away.

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Naughty girl. ;-)

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Heh ;)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I didn’t watch the speech. My heart was too heavy yesterday to do so or assess an opinion of it.
This morning, though, I could form a legitimate opinion that the tears may have been fake. I come to that conclusion based on Obama’s history as an uncaring, angry, bitter ideologue who does not have a history of showing compassion unless it was corrupted by his political ambition.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I would suggest not engaging her at this time. She sounds way too emotional (and she is a liberal, which generally means she is an emotional person to begin with) to reason with at this time. The best way to argue with her is not to argue – but to sympathize with the pain. What many of our fellow citizens are doing is venting – they feel the need to do something. They have been told by idiots like Mike Moore that the thing to do is get rid of guns. “Yeah, that’s it – we’ll just get rid of the guns!” They hear misleading statistics of how little violent crime happens in Europe (and never consider the host of other reasons that contribute to this) and they think that can be achieved here. There is no arguing with them at a time like this – just say, “I feel the same outrage, let’s for now table the gun issue and keep the victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers” (assuming asking her to pray doesn’t further insult her liberal sensibilities).

Remember that, barring confiscation and banning of all firearms, most of the stuff these gun-control advocates argue for wouldn’t have stopped this kid today. But rationality is NOT on the agenda for the next 24-48 hours.

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Nope, you aren’t. I think it was tears of joy / relief that they’d get a second crack at our 2nd Amendment rights after their big op / Fast & Furious blew up in their faces.

Did anybody see any ACTUAL tears on the Preezy in yesterday’s performance? All I see is his artful womanly mascara-blotting eye-fingering.

rayra on December 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

There’s a marxist that needs beat up on the boehner headline. Triple.

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I can’t. It’s too dumb. And all the typing . . .

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM

clearly not stringent enough if that woman was able to keep an arsenal at home, accessible to her nutter son.

sesquipedalian on December 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Do you f***ing understand that you and all the other communists are not going to stop us from buying guns?… What part of the right to bear arms you f***ing communists do not understand? It is an impossibility to take our guns on every possible level… Your stupid party tries to do and it will cease to exist…. Also the most violent cities in the country are controlled by communists and inhabited by the parasites who vote for your party…

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

…thanks!…I know!…that’s why I hung up on her…I usually keep going and wear them out after they SHOUT over you WHILE YOU ARE ASKING for an answer…but never had to do that with family before. She’s the only liberal…but has tunnel vision!

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Naughty girl. ;-)

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Heh ;)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Couple that bow with some of that glow in the dark stuff Europium stuff that Axe posted and the results could be …. intriguing. ;-)

AZfederalist on December 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Ugly on December 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I have little doubt that his tears were fake. We’ve all seen people with real tears – their eyes are glazy because of the increased moisture, they appear bloodshot, etc. – none of this was apparent with Obama. Compare his “teary eyed moment” to when President Bush was outraged about 9/11 – whether you like the guy or not, those were real tears. You can always tell.

Now, do I think President Obama feels outrage? Yes – but probably, like most of his liberal friends, at gun-rights supporters. In their minds, gun-rights supporters put the guns in the kid’s hands and told him how to get to the elementary school. It’s mind-bogglingly outrageous how judgmental they are – it makes the Puritans look like hippies.

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thanks for the story. I’m the only conservative in my immediate family and have had a few throwdowns with them over the years, and am flying out to see them later this month. Hopefully we’ll keep our conversations off politics as much as possible.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Just be glad you turned out OK. You are welcome at the ziffel house anytime. Holidays at my in laws are such a no joy. To argue with a liberal is worse than a painful—–whatever.

arnold ziffel on December 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I hear you – it’s like Bob’s version of “All Along the Watchtower” vs. Jimi’s for me!

Speaking of which, this song is a ripoff of Jeff Beck Group’s “Shapes of Things” but I say it’s better, including the guitar playing – the solo from it is in my Top 5

Mamma Let Your Love

They happen to do my favorite version of Helter Skelter too

\m/

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

TxAnn56 on December 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

TXUS on December 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Thanks for your responses to my post, but just to be clear, the comment about 0bama’s fake “crocodile” tears was mine, not UGLY’s.

I just don’t want to be accused of putting words in someone else’s mouth, and vice versa. :-)

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Already in place in several brands and iirc required for sale in several states. Lots of useless stupid shit like that enacted already. Doesn’t stop anything. Lots of deliberate crazy-expensive ideas like biometric grips, microstencil firing pics, egregiously high taxes on ammo, all sorts of permitting and licensure and background checks and waiting periods and bans of Evil Features. NONE OF IT PREVENTS THE MISUSE OF FIREARMS BY THE INSANE OR CRIMINAL. No such measures EVER will.
We MUST undo the foul works of Leftists who over 30yrs years ago which got most of our insane asylums closed, seeding the insane amongst us like Section 8 houses seeded in gated neighborhoods.
Our society is being deliberately hacked / deconstructed. Attacks on teh nuclear family and religious values / mores. Attacks on respect for Life, legalization of mid-altering drugs, steeping developmental brains in methamphetamine for year after year, turnign an entire subculture into welfare parasites and broken homes with absent ‘baby daddies’, leaving the streets full of feral youts.
Guns are not the problem. They ARE part of the solution. And that’s proven out by plummeting violent crime rates in every state and municipality which enacts permissive CCW.

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM

If they are the kind to gloat over Obama’s reelection I would just fly the other way. Speaking for myself, my bs threshold/tolerance level is way down this year.

arnold ziffel on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Boy can I relate to that post.

You made good points. All logical. No one is talking about these psychos like you pointed out.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Time for hot chocolate and my favorite quilt.

Until tomorrow :)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Despite repeated recurrences of these tragedies, the media is so busy promoting self-serving narratives that it fails to recognize the obvious problems and address them.

Late teens and early twenties are prime time for the emergence of serious mental illness. It should not surprise anyone that those who have struggled with lesser forms are more vulnerable.

It should also be apparent that the onset of a psychotic episode can occur with frightening speed. I have seen it often enough to call it rapid onset psychosis. Particularly in the case of the first episode of psychosis, the descent from maladjusted but functional to delusional psychotic can take place in a matter of hours, and the sufferer will likely move in and out of more or less psychotic states until the problem is addressed, typically with massive amounts of anti-psychotic medication. In the meantime, they relate to the world in terms of their delusional state.

Unfortunately, addressing these issues poses some very difficult policy questions and doesn’t advance anyone’s political agenda. So the fundamental problems are ignored.

novaculus on December 16, 2012 at 12:50 AM

arnold ziffel on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I see…best wishes.
I already somewhat had the “conversation” with my parents after the election, and we kept it civil for the most part. Also, I have a new nephew, and I’m looking forward to seeing him.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Time for hot chocolate and my favorite quilt.

Until tomorrow :)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Wait, come back. Do you have your hoodie-footie on?

arnold ziffel on December 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Whichever, I’m just saying I agree with it. After watching 5yrs worth of that marxist scumbag before the cameras in meetings and debates, unsubtly flipping off his debate opponents by pretending to scratch his face with his middle finger, looking daggers at people like Ryan and Cantor when they hand him his butt in budgetary panels, seeing his blithe descriptions of ‘energy prices necessarily soaring’, seeing the candid evil that shines out of his face when he’s giving a Hitler-like harangue about class warfare, I am SURE that his delicate fingering was a sham. EVERYTHING he does and says is in service to his sick death-worshipping ideology. He is NOT saddened by this renewed opportunity to disarm the only key resistance to the marxist revolution in this nation.
Even his remarks yesterday were very carefully parsed as a clear promise of regulatory and executive order fiat, if he and his media servants cannot bully the House into acceding to more gun restrictions.

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Citizens have had guns for ages and didn’t shoot up schools.

Things which come to mind are meds (or the lack of them), weak laws endangering the public from people who otherwise cannot be responsible for their actions, mega violence and gore in movies, on TV and especially in computerized games. Add a couple of dollops of general social and moral deterioration in society as a whole and you’ve got a recipe for many more calamities to come.

“Do what you want” has its consequences.

Shy Guy on December 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Nice tunes..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Enjoy.
Charlton Heston-

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM

You and I definitely see eye to eye on 0bama. He is a complete fraud, the worst in American history. Possibly in world history.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

AZfederalist on December 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Now that’s thinking. :)

Time for hot chocolate and my favorite quilt.

Until tomorrow :)

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Night, snuggling Gopher! Which you only half are!

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM

said it better than I did.

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Is it true he only ever wiped one eye?

I didn’t watch.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM

rayra on December 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I don’t disagree with your assessment of our society. I think it is the primary cause. However, I have seen way too many irresponsible people who also own guns and do not take care of them the way responsible gun owners do. Unfortunately, we have some really lazy people out there – or cheap – who don’t take the precautions that I know most responsible gun owners do take. The problem I’m pointing out is that the more irresponsible our society – even those living in rural and suburban areas rather than areas plagued with gang violence – the more we have the irresponsible ones placing the rights of the responsible ones in jeopardy. So, in one sense, I’m glad of some of the technological innovations that you’ve mentioned. Others are fantasy games – like the biometric readers, etc., but for the most part, at least we are doing something to make it that much more difficult for the lazy and irresponisble to have their laziness and irresponsibility affect others. Having said that, I agree that the number one cause of tragedies like this is the killer and the idiotic policies of the left regarding the mentally ill, where we spend money in public schools, violence in the media, and the overall narcacistic society they have created that demands attention and notoriety and doesn’t care who or what it takes to get it. Coupled with the disaster that is the left’s idea that the American family is obsolete, we have disaster in the mix.

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

…this kid at Sandy Hook was shooting 6 and 7 year olds like it was CALL of DUTY with no emotion…

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Ugly on December 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Nope – I thought that right away.

gophergirl on December 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Not my quote.

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Not that I disagree. Just not my quote.

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Yep. One eye. Twice. Middle finger once. Gold mooooslim brotherhood ring on full display.

(ps- the calvary showed up for triple :>)

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Is it true he only ever wiped one eye?

I didn’t watch.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I didn’t watch either. Didn’t need to.

I listened briefly on the radio and heard one of the FOX people saying that the president was moved to tears. I could not imagine that 0bama was sincere, this was the first thing that came to mind:

“When [Obama] came over to our little area” at Andrew Air Force Base, says Woods, “he kind of just mumbled, you know, ‘I’m sorry.’ His face was looking at me, but his eyes were looking over my shoulder like he could not look me in the eye. And it was not a sincere, ‘I’m really sorry, you know, that your son died,’ but it was totally insincere, more of whining type, ‘I’m sorry.’ Woods says that shaking President Obama’s hands at his son’s memorial service was “like shaking hands with a dead fish.”

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Not that I disagree. Just not my quote.

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Yup. I corrected that a few comments back. :-)

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I would suggest more womens studies classes, more emphasis on womens employment and training, more pink wearing NFL players during womens breast cancer awareness months, more representations of men and boys as idiots on television, de-emphasis of minority male incarceration rates, and more international programs for women.

That may have an impact on young males raising violent hell?

rickyricardo on December 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Yup. I corrected that a few comments back. :-)

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Thanks =)

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Soul Dressing – Buchanan

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

LML did give us some entertainment today, along with sesqui.

22044 on December 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

You said right, the liberal echo chamber… I am sure that fools like “lostmotherland” and “sesqui” are considered geniuses in the liberal echo chamber… Have you seen a liberal reciting his/her opinion? First they recite it as it is an absolute fact that cannot be disputed and they recite it like a 5 years old kid reciting a new thing he learned at school waiting for the audience to shower him with praises and attention… Then when you destroy their utterly stupid argument in few seconds you can see the shock on their faces and their total inability to respond after that… It is really pathetic to argue with liberals but I enjoy destroying them and exposing how stupid they are in public…

mnjg on December 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Isn’t it astonishing that, apparently, our current president doesn’t carry a clean handkerchief, or at least think to use one, when he has ‘teared up’ twice on the occasion of a televised press conference?

Twice he’s ‘wept’ on camera, and twice he’s wiped away a tear, that I never saw, with his finger.

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I just had to take a moment and click through the photos at the link under your name. 9/11/2001 was one of the most horrific days in world history (brought to you by The Religion Of Peace ™ ).

Thanks for posting those. We must never forget.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Funny that I saw no tears after Benghazi..None at all..:(:(

PS..Good Evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hey Angel – DIO

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good evening, Dire! :)

Yes, those invisible tears mystify me, too.

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Does anyone know where you can get a bipod that snaps in place on a AR bayonet lug? I’ve searched the interwebs. I can’t find one. Business opportunity for someone who could design and produce one.

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

A quick squirt of Visine will make anyone’s eyes more red (stoned or not) for a few minutes. Especially the allergy stuff. The finger action was just him smudging the makeup around.

/full-on cynic mode

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Albatross – Peter Green

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Obama is an incredible azzhole who inserts himself into everything.

A decent president would have offered sincere condolences to the families, on such an incredible tragedy, caused by an ill man.

Instead, Oaf in Chief made political hay not hours after so many deaths yesterday, then again today, and again will do so tomorrow. May he and all his caravan go straight to Hades. May Bloomberg lead it.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Am I the only one who believes 0bama’s “tears” were fake?

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Not at all. Those tears were contrived and scripted and they were offensive as all get-out. Barky is a ghoul who couldn’t give a sh!t about anyone. He’s proven that enough. He might cry if a baby survives an abortion and he isn’t able to have the child die in a closet but other than that he doesn’t have much in the way of human feelings for anything that a Westerner would consider normal.

I’m surprised that anyone is still fooled by Barky and his circus routines.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Did you try http://www.botachtactical.com/ ? They are my go-to site for all things tactical.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Nice tunes..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Glad you liked them!

Beatles fans should like this one – I think it’s a great song. Note that sesquipedalian loves the band’s name, as she feels a personal kinship with it

The Wackers – “Captain Nemo”

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Que the music: tears of a clown, yeah, when no ones around, yeah , tears of a clown, do do da da do do

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I didn’t think of a handkerchief, but I did think of two other things:

1. Crocodile tears.

2. When GWB teared up (as I believe he did when he hugged the little girl who lost her mom on 9/11) he did not do so selectively, and his eyes visibly welled with tears.

INC on December 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

The Man Who Couldn’t Cry

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Thanks for posting those. We must never forget.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Thank you for checking it out.

Ugly on December 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Is it true he only ever wiped one eye?

I didn’t watch.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Bah. I repent of this. Maybe he teared enough to wipe one eye.

Insert some general b*tch here about living in a time where you have to frown when your president appears to cry. It’s like being in a Chevy Chase movie, without the humor.

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I agree completely. Those were little 6-7 year old children, women teachers 29-56, and Obama, sees it as an opportunity, rather than an excruciating tragedy… a time for sincere condolence and sorrow.

Remember when his Chief of Staff… the Godfather of Chicago… said “Never let a crisis go to waste” ? Same sentiment, tragedy rather than crisis.

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Obama is an incredible azzhole who inserts himself into everything.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

And he inserts everything into himself thru his anal canal.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Those tears were contrived and scripted and they were offensive as all get-out.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

As someone stated above, he must have taken lessons from Clinton, or one of his Hollywood buddies.

I can never forget the video of Clinton yukking it up with his buddies at a funeral (was it Ron Brown’s?). When he looked over and noticed that the cameras were on him, he put on his “sad” face and pretended to be wiping a tear from his eye.

Leftists are a disgusting bunch.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Excellent tune. Well done. :)

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Only his black half cried.

That’s why his white eye was dry.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

And he inserts everything into himself thru his anal canal.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Not much makes it through there…due to overcrowding by most of the media. They think it’s all Beluga caviar. May they suffocate from what they really consume, the utter fools.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Thanks Jackie. Hope you’re well. The land has gone to the vultures.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM

And he inserts everything into himself thru his anal canal.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

It’s the only way to see things when your head’s in your ass. :)

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 1:31 AM

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I hear you..Those are “political” tears..:(

PS..Well let’s try this..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Apparently you didn’t get the botach ripoff memo.

Kenosha Kid on December 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Nice tune..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM

wolly4321 on December 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM

If you need a bipod, and you probably don’t, attaching it directly to the barrel is not a good idea.

Kenosha Kid on December 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I’m fine. I hope you’re well. I don’t think they are vultures. Vultures serve a necessary purpose. They clean up carrion.

These people create only problems, largely through laziness, stupidity and the inability to think things through to their logical conclusion. Theirs is the world view of a 12 year old. They know only what they think they want at the moment and they want immediate gratification in all things without regard for the pain it may cause others in the process.

Unlike many, I don’t think most of them are truly evil. I think they are miserably immature and selfish, but most of them lack the cunning, craft, cleverness, and intellect to be truly evil. What they do often turns out to be a form of evil, but they didn’t plan it. They just didn’t care how much damage they caused.

There are some, though, whom I do believe are truly evil, calculating and merciless. I think you know which one’s I mean, too.

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Apparently you didn’t get the botach ripoff memo.

Kenosha Kid on December 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Apparently not. How are they a ripoff?

Just asking, I am not connected to the company in any way at all other than being a (usually) satisfied customer.

UltimateBob on December 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Michael Schenker Group – Captain Nemo (Live)

Anti-Control on December 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Great tune! Great band! :)

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Half lurking. SyFy, Zombies . . . bizarre therapy. There’s a quote from Shakespeare for that, weird conditions needing weird medicine, but I’m too . . . something, to type it.

Hm. That’s pretty bad. :(

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Ennui?

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Dire Straits on December 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I’ve been listening to
this guy lately … this one too.

gh on December 16, 2012 at 1:40 AM

The shooter, Adam Lanza, 20, described as a ‘ticking time bomb’ who suffered from Asperger’s syndrome and was painfully shy and awkward.

So they knew he was a fluffin nutter the whole time?

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Fade To Black – Dire Straits

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Axe on December 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM

When you are half lurking that’s called flurking in my new language, Sparkinese.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:43 AM

There are some, though, whom I do believe are truly evil, calculating and merciless. I think you know which ones I mean, too.

thatsafactjack on December 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM

He is their enabler; thus, he is evil too, and so is Hillary. How come she falls, has a concussion and never goes to the hospital, but can’t appear in front of congress next week? No need to worry about an answer.

I’m with Bmore – they are all the enemies of the US, thus our enemies. Yes, they are all evil.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM

if you want to see how sick the leftist culture is here’s two articles.

first, the vicious impact deinstituionalization has had on US (and other) societies…and no, friendly leftist Bob Scheiffer won’t be talk about this

and this, a terrifying look at inside a family with a mentally disturbed son..(and no, leftist toad Brooks won’t be talking about this)

these are long. They run counter-narrative, so won’t be talked about. The narrative is GUNS KILL PEOPLE….let’s grab us some GUNS

but that’s just the narrative for stupid people and lazy op/ed ‘thinkers’…the truth is tough to take

r keller on December 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Joyous and jubilant is called joybilant in my new language.

SparkPlug on December 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM