Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

The massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., bloodiest attack of its kind in the nation’s history, stands as a possible tipping point after Washington’s decade-long aversion even to talking about stricter gun laws…

It remains to be seen whether Sandy Hook will break the usual cycle of universal shock fading into political reality. That reality is based on a combination of powerful gun lobbying and public opinion, which has shifted against tougher gun control and stayed that way. However lawmakers react this time, it’s the president’s call whether the issue fades again or takes its place alongside the legacy-shaping initiatives of his time, with all the peril that could mean for his party…

One certainty in the weeks to come is that both parties in Washington will carefully watch public opinion on gun control and the Second Amendment, and whether any impact lasts. Opposition to stricter laws has proved resilient.

***

[A]dvocates of gun control say the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown might be different for two reasons: the victims were children, eliciting a gut-wrenching response across the country, and the National Rifle Association proved to be a political paper tiger in the 2012 election.

“The political atmosphere has clearly changed because now we have solid evidence that the N.R.A. just was not effective in the last election cycle,” said Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control advocacy group. “This just has a feel that they won’t get away with doing nothing this time.”

***

Pivotal players in any legislative action would be the half dozen Democratic senators up for re-election in 2014 who represent states that tend to be more protective of gun owners’ rights: Sen. Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota, and Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska…

Two other Democrats also crucial to any Senate action would be Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and senator-elect Joe Donnelly of Indiana…

Whether Obama decides that he wants to lead an effort to persuade Congress to enact new measures to limit access to guns may in part depend on how the public responds in the next week.

***

Adam Lanza, the troubled nerd who turned a Connecticut school into a slaughterhouse, learned how to shoot under the watchful eye of his demanding mom Nancy.

“She said she would often go target shooting with her kids,” landscaper Dan Holmes said.

Nancy Lanza wound up being the first of her son’s 27 victims when he used one of her guns to shoot her dead.

Holmes, who often mowed the grass at the Lanza’s sprawling Newtown home, told Reuters the doomed mom was proud of her arsenal and once showed him a “high end rifle” she had just purchased.

***

U.S. school districts have spent millions of dollars on metal detectors, security cameras and elaborate emergency-response plans since the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School, but almost nothing could have prevented Friday’s massacre at a Connecticut elementary school, security experts say…

Still, Bond said, there is no way for students and teachers to protect themselves when someone begins shooting with a weapon. He said even a security guard and locked doors could not have stopped the killer.

Without knowing the school’s security system, Kenneth Trump, president of consulting firm National School Safety and Security Services, stresses that schools need to be “looking for these lone wolf actors.”

“As a father, I would love to have a 100 percent guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen in my kids’ school, but as a rational school safety professional I know nobody can give me a 100 percent guarantee on safety,” said Trump.

***

3) We must find a way to make it more difficult for the non-adjudicated mentally ill to come into possession of weapons. This is crucially important, but very difficult, because it would require the cooperation of the medical community — of psychiatrists, therapists, school counselors and the like — and the privacy issues (among other issues) are enormous. But: It has to be made more difficult for sociopaths, psychopaths and the otherwise violently mentally-ill (who, in total, make up a small portion of the mentally ill population) to buy weapons.

4) People should have the ability to defend themselves. Mass shootings take many lives in part because no one is firing back at the shooters. The shooters in recent massacres have had many minutes to complete their evil work, while their victims cower under desks or in closets. One response to the tragic reality that we are a gun-saturated country is to understand that law-abiding, well-trained, non-criminal, wholly sane citizens who are screened by the government have a role to play in their own self-defense, and in the defense of others (read The Atlantic article to see how one armed school administrator stopped a mass shooting in Pearl Mississippi). I don’t know anything more than anyone else about the shooting in Connecticut at the moment, but it seems fairly obvious that there was no one at or near the school who could have tried to fight back.

***

Imagine that you ran a school district, and some rich foundation, worried about school shootings, gave you the following offer: We’ll hire armed security guards for you, who could try to do something about the school shooter. These aren’t going to be highly trained police officers, just typical security guards, given some modest training and subjected to basic background checks. It’s not like they’re highly skilled; security guards rarely are. But they have a basic understanding of how to shoot, and when to shoot…

But wait! The foundation has just learned that its investment portfolio has done very badly, and the grant doesn’t go through. But someone else suggests: Instead of hiring special-purpose security guards, why not take some of your existing employees — teachers, administrators, and the like — and offer them a deal: They’d go through some modest training and subjected to basic background checks, and in exchange they’d be given the right to carry the same guns that the security guards would have had…

Is there some reason why the armed security guard is safe and helpful, but the armed teacher, administrator, or staffer — er, the teacher with a volunteer security guard license — would be useless and a menace?

***

The general decline in gun-related violence and the inability even of mental health professionals to identify future mass killers should be the essential starting points of any serious policy discussion generated by the absolutely horrific slaughter at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. We should also add a third starting point: Few good policies come from rapid responses to deeply felt injuries. Many of the same people who are now calling for immediate action with regard to gun control recognize that The Patriot Act, rushed through Congress in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, was a terrible piece of legislation that ultimately did nothing to protect Americans even as it vastly expanded the state’s ability to surveil law-abiding citizens. There’s no reason to think that federal, state, or local gun control laws promulgated now would result in anything different.

If hard cases make bad laws, it’s even more true that rare crimes make terrible public policy. In a piece for Quartz, journalist Lenore Skenazy recalls that the deadliest school massacre in U.S. history took place in Michigan in 1927, when a disgruntled school-board official blew up 38 people, including himself. She writes that the real difference between now and then is the immediacy of the media, which shrinks the distance between victims and the rest of us. Even as that allows us to have more empathy for the grieving, it creates the conditions for an overreaction that will ultimately be little more than symbolic

***

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

The Tea Party must be stopped! I saw a racist white guy with a gun at a rally. Wait…that was a black guy, and they cropped the head out of the pic.

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Liberals also take advantage of tragedies with the speed of light. I still remember Obama doing shout outs in his speech after Tuscon.

Of course they do-back to “emotions”. How they can get the outrage they need to legislate and strip freedom and build more Govt control and power. They manipulate..
They don’t give a shite about the truth or any real solutions.
Murder and mayhem happens daily in this country-how many youths shot each other last night in every urban shitehole around the country? Like Zero’s home Cheecago..
Where are the tears..the outrage? crickets..
But that wasict to talk about..so no one talks about it.

Why was an Islamic ticking time bomb in the US military? Red Flags everywhere but promoted no less..oh yes..a muslim..shhh.

Libs and their evil right hand-msm control the message and use it as a weapon for their agenda.

Compare and contrast shootings-Zero and MSM..Maj Hassan-coverage (I listened as Shep on Fox literally choke..having to finally say his name-they knew but waited) Zimmerman- A “White Hispanic” killed a sweet young black Trayvon..showing pics of him as a boy-not the update thug pics-and hid his FB quotes ect.. Lacrosse boys, Threats on Gov Snyder and his daughter-crickets- F&F- Agent Jones- never happened /
Benghazi- all LIES- a video was to blame/..cries to ban speaking out against Islam and our first amendment rights. Zero takes to the UN stage.. Shillary, takes the blame..uhhh..HA!..tells Ty Woods father-not to worry-they will get the man who made the “video” and VP Biden says to a grieving father- “Did your son always have balls the size of cue balls?”

Loughner- OMG-Sarah Palin is to blame! Destroy her! Then Zero capitalizes off the massacre of a deranged youth. MSM-paints him as a right wing nut job. White neo-nazi!!
All lies..but eh..who cares right?

Floyd Corkins walks in with blazing guns shooting up the Family Research Council..minute outrage.
A brief statement by Zero. “this type of violence has no place in our society.” The end.

Lanza,Loughner,Trayvon..plenty of outrage and tears from Zero,his minions and the MSM..why is that..hummm?

Hassan,Corkins,Jones,Stevens,Woods,Dead Mexicano’s,Union and OWS violence & threats, black panthers- all good in Obama’s hood..keep it on the DL with the help of the treasonous media. Down the rabbit hole.

Quite a pattern here..don’t you think? Common denominators.

Control the message-control the populace.

Honor,Truth,Justice,Equality,Ethics are out..
Revenge,Lies,Propaganda,Brown Shirts,Division,Tyranny are on today’s menu-
with a large side order of hypocrisy and several insane condiments to fill the belly of the beast.
Its whats for dinner-catered by Zero and the liberals..served to us by the LSM. enjoy.

Good luck with your last minute shopping! My last minute is usually the day before Christmas!

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM

lol…why doesnt that surprise me? Thx..you interrupted me. ;)

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM

The Tea Party must be stopped! One of ‘em got angry and launched spittle, then said the N word to Black Caucus members! Oh wait – that was a lie and video evidence proved it.

NYTimes – selectively edited. Steven Crowder tactics.

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Hey Baz! I quit smoking! (sorta) I’m on to E-Cigs. There’re just nicotene and water vapor, and I don’t think I need to worry about birth defects if I get pregnant. Yeaaaaay!

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Good for you my man. :)
Does the E work? Heard about them. curious..

LOL…Lourdes has zero sense of humor..
It’s okay bro..she doesnt like me either..
which is good..if she did..I would have to check myself. ;)

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM

lol…why doesnt that surprise me?

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I also wrap my presents in paper shopping bags with duck tape. It’s hilarious and does my part in stymieing Global Climate Disruption :) I always find great gifts though. Personal gifts, funny gifts, or barring either, I at least write a funny card and I’m forgiven

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM

How many people in NYC are suffering from Hyponatremia?

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Does the E work? Heard about them. curious..

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM

best thing since a hole in Osama’s head! Stops the craving just like the Gum, but you feel the burn of the water vapor and exhale it just like a real cig. The wonders of modern tech!

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Hyponatremia?

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:43 AM

you got me. Big Words! knock it off

I looked it up though :) Sodium deficiency? Did they ban that too?

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I don’t think quack tape is very enviro friendly
but good job with your shopping bags. ;)

I am infamous in the family for my wrapping skills
as well..but I at least use scotch tape and slap on a bow. :P
Yeah..its what is underneath the wrap that counts-
buy me some diamond earrings and wrap them
in used Big Mac box for all I care. lolz.

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Bloomie has a boner
on salt..salt control man..
Soda pop has high levels of sodium.
Banning big gulps wasn’t just about sugar..
sodium as well.

So I was wondering if we would see sodium and iodine
deficiencies on the rise in New Yawk.

At least amoung the homeless…:(

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has made it impossible for Good Samaritans to donate food to government-run facilities that feed the homeless.

For what reason would he restrict free and charitable donations?

Well, you’re probably familiar with the mayor’s crusade against salt — apparently, it’s bad for you and the government should regulate how much is in your food.

Therefore, in an effort to curb the citizenry’s dirty salt habits, the Bloomberg administration has instructed all government-run shelters to turn away any donated food items that lack specific nutritional information.

Basically, the city is dissuading private citizens from being charitable.

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM

It has been reported Obama will be visiting Newtown.
I for one, believe he doesn’t give a wit about the victims, families and friends of this terrible tragedy but will demagogue this tragedy for all it is worth. His past history show his actions don’t match his rhetoric. (tornadoes, floods, fires, Benghazi, our fallen and wounded warriors, 9-11 – the list goes on) His talk is cheap when it comes to civility and violence. I expect this will nothing more than a photo opportunity with the media dutifully in tow. One clue will be if he uses teleprompter or speaks extemporaneously. How many times will he use first person pronouns? How often will he refer to God?
In the days, months that follow, the families will still be in grief, pain and morning. Will this be just a drive-by or will he return in the to provide consolation? I hope he proves me wrong.
It’s off to Mass. Pray with me today.

diogenes on December 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Obama “teared up” in his Stony Brook speech. He cares! Not like that other obscenely rich guy Mittens Romney

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Thx..I need to try then.

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We actually burn all our paper trash (my Cristmas girt wrapping. Contrarily I notice libs burn books detrimental to the cause, like 1984: The obvious result of their big gov policies.

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Altered Mental State

Sodium is responsible for maintaining fluid balance in your brain. Your brain is cushioned by watery fluid that prevents the brain from becoming damaged. If you do not have enough sodium, your brain begins to swell. This results in an altered mental state. You initially may feel an unexplained sense of irritability. You may experience symptoms such as confusion or hallucinations. Those with sodium deficiencies may lose consciousness and can ultimately enter a coma because the skull cannot support brain swelling. If left untreated, swelling in the brain can lead to death because the brain is no longer able to communicate with other parts of your body, such as your heart or lungs.
Muscle Spasms

Sodium is an electrolyte, meaning it helps to conduct electrical impulses in the body, such as nerve messages that transmit the need for movement. If you do not have enough sodium in your blood, you may experience muscle spasms and cramping because there is not enough sodium to control nerve impulses. Your muscles may feel weak and difficult to control, which results in a feeling of lethargy. Unexplained fatigue is another symptom associated with sodium deficiency.
Nausea and Vomiting

Altered mental and muscle function due to sodium insufficiency can contribute to nausea. Your stomach may spasm uncontrollably, leading to vomiting and stomach upset. This cannot only cause pain, it can reduce your appetite and affect your ability to keep food down. Because your brain is affected by sodium deficiency, it may not be communicating proper signals to your stomach regarding digestion and appetite.

Apparently, sodium deficiency is no laughing matter. I have a health condition in which I have been told to increase my salt intake. I never asked why, but it makes sense after reading this.

Night Owl on December 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Thx..I need to try then.

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM

try it for sure. It’s almost as good as the invention of the wheel.

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM

XO Slade! Luv you my brother.
Have a Mmerry Christmas with Fam and the pup!

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families today-
not what Zero says or does.

Exit-stage right>>>

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM

funny, cause you recharge E cigs with a USB. There’s a cartridge stuck on the side of my comp right now

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM

luv, luv, luv

Basil. See yas :)

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Night Owl on December 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I do too.
Why I thought about it..
was poking fun but also serious.

woo woo Owl.
Later.

bazil9 on December 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Lourdes! Oh Lourdes!

Oh never mind. You’re a wuss

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Enough with these irrational helicopter lib-tards who strike with fear and cheap gimmicks.

When I was 12 years old I carried my dad’s hunting rifle onto a school bus and headed off to school.
Once at school I tried to stow it inside my locker, but, it wouldn’t fit so I took it to the principles office.
When the bell rang at 3pm I recovered the rifle from the principle’s office and marched proudly into a room filled with an assortment of weapons, all carried into the room by students who were ready to learn how to properly keep and bear arms. The class was taught by an officer for the DNR in Michigan. The time was before liberalism taught hopeless social studies (we called it geography).
And yes some teachers at the time were packing heat, but, they never advertised the fact that they did.

The term the quick and the dead comes to mind. Then again, even the trained soldiers at Fort Hood just weren’t fast enough.

kregg on December 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I believe jawkneemusic’s right. By the way, your problem’s not with the “church”.

kingsjester on December 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

really? What is my problem all knowing one, purveyor of God’s truths?
I forsook the Church for a personal and genuine relationship with God.

Slade73 on December 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ahhhhh da GubRmint hypocrisy….

1945… in a split second vaporized 120 SCHOOLS Filled with KIDS & teachers & other workers…

1996 …. Clintion’s Secretary of State re Sanctions on Iraq and the DEATH of 500,000 children……. “THE PRICE WAS WORTH IT”

PRESENT DAY…. Barack Obama has the law behind him to KILL ANYONE on his say.

and the grand daddy of them all…. this GubRmint has allowed the slaughter of 50,000,000 since 1973

I’m from the GubRmint and I’m here to help.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on December 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I would suggest not engaging her at this time. She sounds way too emotional (and she is a liberal, which generally means she is an emotional person to begin with) to reason with at this time. The best way to argue with her is not to argue – but to sympathize with the pain. What many of our fellow citizens are doing is venting – they feel the need to do something. They have been told by idiots like Mike Moore that the thing to do is get rid of guns. “Yeah, that’s it – we’ll just get rid of the guns!” They hear misleading statistics of how little violent crime happens in Europe (and never consider the host of other reasons that contribute to this) and they think that can be achieved here. There is no arguing with them at a time like this – just say, “I feel the same outrage, let’s for now table the gun issue and keep the victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers” (assuming asking her to pray doesn’t further insult her liberal sensibilities).

Remember that, barring confiscation and banning of all firearms, most of the stuff these gun-control advocates argue for wouldn’t have stopped this kid today. But rationality is NOT on the agenda for the next 24-48 hours.

studentofhistory on December 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

…thanks friend!…I plan on calling to make the peace today…(had a ‘cooling’ off period).

KOOLAID2 on December 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM