Quotes of the day

posted at 8:44 pm on December 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Obama cited Scripture to call for healing, and said “we’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.” He called the shooting a “heinous crime” against “beautiful little kids.”

“We’ve endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years, and each time I hear the news I react not as a president but as anyone else would, as a parent,” Obama said. “And that was especially true today.”

***

What is “meaningful action”? Obama has explained this before: He wants a new assault weapons ban. My colleague Allison Benedikt is among those who wanted more from Obama, but that’s not how this works. To use two examples without conflating the scales of the tragedies: LBJ didn’t call for the Civil Rights Act on November 22, 1963, and George W. Bush didn’t ask for any military response on 9/11. Day one is when you tell people whether you’re going to pick up the cards. Showing those cards, that comes later.

Bloomberg’s full statement:

“With all the carnage from gun violence in our country, it’s still almost impossible to believe that a mass shooting in a kindergarten class could happen. It has come to that. Not even kindergarteners learning their A,B,Cs are safe. We heard after Columbine that it was too soon to talk about gun laws. We heard it after Virginia Tech. After Tucson and Aurora and Oak Creek. And now we are hearing it again. For every day we wait, 34 more people are murdered with guns. Today, many of them were five-year olds. President Obama rightly sent his heartfelt condolences to the families in Newtown. But the country needs him to send a bill to Congress to fix this problem. Calling for ‘meaningful action’ is not enough. We need immediate action. We have heard all the rhetoric before. What we have not seen is leadership – not from the White House and not from Congress. That must end today. This is a national tragedy and it demands a national response. My deepest sympathies are with the families of all those affected, and my determination to stop this madness is stronger than ever.”

Enough!

Enough with putting off tomorrow what we should be talking about today. Enough with being afraid to step on someone’s delicate sensibilities when it comes to the Second Amendment. Enough with elected leaders who are too cowardly to confront the National Rifle Association and their ardent supporters. Enough with moms and dads and brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and pastors and deacons who are afraid to make public the private anguish of mental illness.

Enough! Enough! Enough!

***

The goal of this petition is to force the Obama Administration to produce legislation that limits access to guns. While a national dialogue is critical, laws are the only means in which we can reduce the number of people murdered in gun related deaths.

Powerful lobbying groups allow the ownership of guns to reach beyond the Constitution’s intended purpose of the right to bear arms. Therefore, Congress must act on what is stated law, and face the reality that access to firearms reaches beyond what the Second Amendment intends to achieve.

***

Obama has been given several sad opportunities to address gun violence. In Tucson, he spoke of “a national conversation” commencing, “not only about the motivations behind these killings, but about everything from the merits of gun safety laws to the adequacy of our mental health system.” After an attack on a Sikh temple outside Milwaukee, Obama said similar events “are happening with too much regularity for us not to do some soul-searching to examine additional ways that we can reduce violence.”

But that soul-searching did not happen in Obama’s first term. And before Friday’s shooting in Newtown, few thought Obama would devote political capital to any sort of serious push for new gun-control legislation. Though the National Rifle Association’s power has waned from its peak, Republicans remain firmly on the NRA’s side while Democrats remain deeply scarred by the gun-rights group’s success in ousting pro-gun-control legislators. It will be days before we know whether a massacre at an elementary school will be enough to force Obama and Congress to act.

***

“What’s he going to do? He’s not going to get legislation,” said Larry Sabato, a political science professor at the University of Virginia. “That’s obvious to anybody.”

Sabato and other experts predicted that Washington’s powerful gun lobby — and the many lawmakers from both parties who are cognizant of its influence — virtually assures the failure of any legislation aimed at curbing gun rights. At best, Sabato said, Obama could try other policy approaches in an attempt to improve public safety, such as by backing legislation that would require more metal detectors in schools and other public places…

Obama did not outline specifics or directly call on Congress to act, but many Democrats issued statements that echoed the president’s call for a policy response.

***

Democrats all over Washington issued statements Friday expressing sympathy and dismay over the school shooting in Newtown, Conn. But amid the sadness, grief and shock one thing was clear — most in the Democratic Party did not want to inject a discussion of gun control into the day.

Many Democrats blame gun control for Al Gore’s 2000 presidential loss and there has been an increasing reluctance over the past decade to push the issue to the forefront of American politics. In 2006, Democrats won a majority in Congress in part by winning in conservative areas with candidates who were proudly pro-gun rights…

Democratic Congressional Committee Chairman Steve Israel of New York avoided vague references altogether. His statement was purely sympathetic and stressed that Americans should “stand together with the community of Newtown.”

***

I teach at a state university with a campus gun-free policy, and quite a few of my students have permits to carry guns. After the Virginia Tech shooting a few years ago, one of them asked me if we could move class off campus, because she felt unsafe being unarmed. I certainly would have felt perfectly safe having her carry a gun in my presence; she was, and is, a responsible adult. I feel the same way about the other law students I know who have carry permits.

Gun-free zones are premised on a lie: that murderers will follow rules, and that people like my student are a greater danger to those around them than crazed killers. That’s an insult to honest people. Sometimes, it’s a deadly one. The notion that more guns mean more crime is wrong. In fact, as gun ownership has expanded over the past decade, crime has gone down.

Fortunately, the efforts to punish “the people who didn’t do it” are getting less traction these days.

***

On the outskirts of the vigil I met Tom Donlin, who’d made an ad hoc candle holder out of a Starbucks cup. “I just was walking by and saw this,” he said. “I’m not actually for gun control, so I probably disagree with these people. There’s strict gun control in Norway, and that gunman killed — what, something like 80 people?” He was still listening. “We might want to look at mental health laws, not gun laws.”

At another end of the crowd, a government worker named Jennifer Purl huddled in her green coat and complimented some activists on their signs. “Yes!” she said. “Close the gun show loophole.” She rattled off some other ideas for restricting guns, without banning them, and with consideration for the mental state of gun owners. “Nobody’s talking about banning guns! Every time there’s one of these tragedies, people run out to buy guns. It’s crazy, just crazy.”

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Can we please quit acting like people don’t protect themselves with guns.

CW on December 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

So why don’t you insist conservatives say that when they run for office? Why are there no conservative proposals for dealing with the problem of black and latino populations? Why do you resist speaking your mind on this issue?

ernesto on December 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Oh my, you really are that stupid, aren’t you?

ALL CONSERVATIVE proposals would help to deal with the problems in urban areas. Lower taxes, more jobs, stronger families and less government intrusion/control/coddling.

What liberals cannot get, because they are in reality the racists in this nation, is that it is the living conditions that are leading to the higher crime rates in urban areas, not the fact that the majority of the people who live in them are non-white.

You keep pooh poohing the numbers given you as not relational because they are numbers from third world countries, but don’t stop to consider what those countries have in common with our inner cities. Hint….it’s not the color of the skin. It is the lack of jobs, disjointed and weak families, poverty and hopelessness, and a dependency on the government which provides as little as it can get away with providing.

Blacks and Hispanics who grow up in strong families, in a setting where education is encouraged are not committing crimes against each other. Their children have hope for their future. Hope for a job, a career and independence. That is what conservatives want for all people and that is what the principles that conservatives espouse will do, if they are embraced and actually tried.

Think back to prohibition and the rise of the mob. What are the two conditions that fed organized crime? Prohibition and the depression. Government intrusion and despair caused by unemployment.

Jvette on December 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’ve been thinking about buying a small(ladies cut) handgun for target shooting/self-defense. I would hate to barred from exercising my second amendment rights just because I have AS>

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Nor should you be. Until someone shows me an unassailable study that people with a certain condition or affliction are 100% guaranteed to be murderers, serial killers, or whatever, those American citizens have every right to be armed, just as someone who may not suffer these things. It’s an affront to basic human dignity to suggest otherwise.

TXUS on December 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

What do you propose? It sounds to me like some of you are suggesting but afraid to say out loud that you support denying gun-rights by race or city.
To which I say, eventually they will come for yours too.
Capitalist Hog on December 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Where the f*ck did that even come from?

CW on December 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I mean we, Americans. For some reason (a reason you will never offer to identify) we kill each other at a rate much higher than our peers.

ernesto on December 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Proving to be the same dummy as most always.

Adios!

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I plan to be very selective about who stands behind me.

Bmore on December 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Me too. Genetic material for rebuilding.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM

FYI — I’ll take anyone. So if you are looking for the Island of Misfit Toys, you’re welcome. I mean, you know, unless it’s necessary to leave you on an island with a slingshot and one spit-ball.

Axe on December 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Just for some perspective, over a hundred people are killed in traffic pretty much every day in America, with a lot of them being kids, and they are no less dead, just because their deaths are far more routine. We really should ban cars or at least those able to go above 10mph.

VorDaj on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Who are you people and what are you doing in my living-room???

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’m in your Fridge popping a beer. Thanks

SparkPlug on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

To which I say, eventually they will come for yours too.
Capitalist Hog on December 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Good. I hope you resist.

lostmotherland on December 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The weasel lostmotherland never explained his proclivity for violence, after repeated inquiries.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

We really should ban cars or at least those able to go above 10mph.

VorDaj on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Kennedy, Edward, killed a woman in a car.

Airplanes fall from the sky sometimes…

These are very stupid and hypocritical people. They think it is “egalitarian” and “enlightened” to go for it. May they all go to Hades, and theirs too.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I Finally found it,The WHO singing….TOMMY,at the Sandy
Relief Concert!!
================

The Who sings Tommy,with Christie in the background at…

…..(3:37)…..with FEEL ME!!!!!!!!!!

And Obama comes in at…….(3:46 mark)…..HEAL ME!!!

The Who Pinball Wizard 12.12.12. Sandy relief concert HD

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

What a terrible day. I actually attended church with my wife and a few of the kids, she was pretty upset about all of it. I don’t attend church but I did tonight, this sort of thing can make a man look for answers.

Bishop on December 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Please forgive me, for the days events have perhaps clouded my perspective. You sir are a good man, and as the pathetic christian that I am, I would never wish or desire an event such as this day to influence how you perceive reality. It is never the less my desire that if the lord so desire it to be so, that one day you have a awakening of the spirit where in you come to a understanding of the knowledge of the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Let us say nothing more of this, for I am not the best spokesman of Jesus that has ever lived, I am but of fool who speaks out of turn when it is least opportune.

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

VorDaj on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

And, if someone were so inclined, a 2500 lb hunk of metal moving at 60 mph packs far more punch than a bunch of bullets and is far more dangerous. But none of the gun control people have a problem with a 16 year old behind the wheel. Wait until some evil scumbag (or muslim terrorist) decides to take out an outdoor cafe or two or three, or just a sidewalk, by driving over them in a GM. There have been a couple of such isolated incidents … but that’s how it used to be with carjacking, too, until one day it became popular among the twisted.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Who are you people and what are you doing in my living-room???

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’m in your Fridge popping a beer. Thanks

SparkPlug on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I was wondering where that beer was… ;P

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

VorDaj on December 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Spent the evening with family and several family members said the same thing.

This is a horrific tragedy and I feel for those families who lost their loved ones. I just hope that people think before they do something that will cause irreparable harm on this great nation.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Good evening Folks..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

In 1900 the murder rate in the United States was 1.2 per 100,000 people. There was less gun laws and restrictions at that time, in fact there was no war on drugs (even cocaine was legal), no war on alcohol like between 1920-1933, the federal law code was simple, the police were less sophisticated

Lester it would be nice if you could explain why the murder rate was 1.2 per 100,000 in 1900 when we had less restrictions on almost everything compared to today, although last year was the lowest since 1963 at 4.7.

Plus the Europeans and Japanese, were more violent over the last 100 years (1912-2012) than Americans, because they started two World Wars, Communism, Fascism, etc. That kill rate dwarfs our kill rate during the same period.

William Eaton on December 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I wasn’t drawing any conclusions one way or another. I was just pointing out that when comparing crime statistics, putting US next to some lawless African country doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Also known as Apples & Oranges.

And the explanation is not simple. Access to, availability and efficiency of guns is different, culture has morphed, crime has changed, instead of relatively limited but large crime families we have much smaller but significantly more criminal gangs. Violent crime in Mexico is a new issue and we have the long border. War on drugs probably on top of the list.

Again, taking one statistic (prevalence of gun laws) and comparing a century ago with today’s America would being us to Apples & Oranges.

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I was wondering where that beer was… ;P

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I borrowed it..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Amen..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

There is no such thing as a pathetic Christian – there are only forgiven ones :)

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ALT- it’s nice you get my point. Times have changed so much. A kid that showed up with a swiss army knife now would be hauled away. I don’t know what has happened. But it happened fast. 42,, 44,, in our lifetimes it’s all upside down.

It’s not the tools. They have always been available. I didn’t stab anyone. I carved sticks. I whittled. I had guns available bigtime.

I don’t know what has gone so wrong since we were kids.

wolly4321 on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

With all due respect, lester, you are both an imbecile and just plain evil.

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Good evening Folks..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Good evening Dire..

Electrongod on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Violent crime in Mexico is a new issue and [...]

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

LOL. New issue … Right. Mexico has always been such a peaceful place, even from back in the days of the Aztecs cutting beating hearts out to placate their bloodthirsty gods … no history of violent “crime”, there. Mexico has been a veritable paradise of civilization for most of the time. Yep.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Like they did last month?

I no longer have that much faith in my countrymen.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I’m officially calling for a ban on shopping carts: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/14/woman-cited-for-shopping-cart-rage-outside-walmart/

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Comment proving, again, that you’re a gnatbrain.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Fine. Make sure to compare US with Honduras, Jamaica and Zambia. That would make so much sense (!) and would allow Schadenfreude to… Schadenfreude.

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

One of my major rants about this is the Lame Stream Media..Who would interview small kids about this tragedy that were witnesses to this horror right after it takes place??!!???..What kinda moonbat does that??..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

wolly4321 on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

That was the big scandal when I went to High School – someone got stabbed with a Swiss Army Knife at a dance.

Now Sudafed is a controlled substance, you have disrobe before you go through security at an airport and you still get felt up, our 1st and 2nd amendment rights are in peril.

I look at my nephews and wonder if they will ever have the America that I had.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I no longer have that much faith in my countrymen.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Most of them are bondage-loving fools.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Electrongod on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

What kinda moonbat does that??..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Silly question, a journalist of course.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I borrowed it..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ROTFLMAO… Not to worry, I think I have had enough for tonight… (sorry can’t stop thinking about Newtown) I really need to pass out before I make an even bigger idiot of myself than usual.

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I no longer have that much faith in my countrymen.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I understand..Mine is starting to wane..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

*clink*

Electrongod on December 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Like they did last month?

I no longer have that much faith in my countrymen.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Point taken

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Silly question, a journalist of course.

cozmo on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

If I were running the rig..They would have been fired immediately!!..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

These are the same people who elected Obama – need I say more?

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

wolly4321 on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

The blade on my pocket knife was too dull to even cut paper. that same little knife on a kid’s person would now get them expelled

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Proving again that you’re a gnatbrain.

Compare to England, the once Great Britain.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I understand..It has been a rough day..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

If I were running the rig..They would have been fired immediately!!..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Clearly, the orders came from higher up to do those sick interviews with 8 year olds. I was amazed that none of the anchors refused to do them. That was some sick stuff. What did they even think they were going to get from an interview with an 8 year old? Sick, sick stuff.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

New when compared to 100 years ago. Don’t jumpt into a discussion when you are ignorant of the context. Or maybe in your alternate universe drug cartels have been publicly executing people and hanging them off the balls right in the middle of Mexican cities for centuries.

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

You happen to find that answer you let me know. I’m looking too, Bish. It’s one of those things that sinks in. I just don’t get it.

wolly4321 on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

These are the same people who elected Obama – need I say more?

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Very good point..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Mexico has always been violent and crime-ridden, even before the drug cartels.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I am sure you are right..IF I was a parent of one these children that was interviewed I would be throwing much he11 in the air!..:(

PS..You are correct..Sick, sick stuff..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Bishop on December 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Bishop:I too should attend,echoing SWalker,yes you are a good man!

Its going to be a tad crazy/crazier for the next few weeks,
with all the Mayan Calender End of World Crap!–:)

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

PS..You are correct..Sick, sick stuff..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’m watching O’Reilly interviewing a little girl with her Mom.

I blame the parents.

JPeterman on December 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

WHO WANTS CITIZENS GUNS?????

Would be TYRANTS.

And I mean just that……….exactly what the Founders would say.

If they take our guns……..the trains, re-education centers and ovens are not far behind. Look at history!

PappyD61 on December 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

tom brokaw

It is not enough to talk about access to guns. We also have to address a popular culture that treats graphic violence as routine

there are plenty of things leftists and hedonists don’t want to talk about…how about Tarantino?

There’s a lot of H8 that people are being exposed to day in, day out. Lots of H8 from the Left…often cleverly disguised, but hate none-the-less

btw, wrt to the stupid issue that conservatives haven’t advanced solutions to violent cities…Walter Williams years ago said Give Everyone a Gun. There you go

And then there’s the little issue of the Bible. I’m not a big Huckster fan…but the fact that Christ and the 10 Commandments have been marginalized…how is that helpful?

How are violent and hateful movies helpful?

r keller on December 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Violent crime in Mexico is a new issue and [...]

lester on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Didn’t you know that President Wilson only sent General Pershing and 5,000 troops into Mexico to invite Pancho Villa to a State dinner at the White House? /

Resist We Much on December 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

wolly4321 on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My best friend carried a “holstered” Schrade on his hip. I carried my 20 Ga. and my 30 30 in the trunk. No this wasn’t Mayberry and no this wasn’t in olden times. I left my diving knife in the seat so I could casually mention I was *sniff* certified SCUBA diver. :)

We never thought anything about it. I might need to go hunting at any moment; and he ate lunch with the damned thing. :)

Axe on December 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sadly, I don’t believe our government fears the armed populace. It assumes a submissive, compliant citizenry, including the gun owners.

freedomfirst on December 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Good evening Folks..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Dire Straits:Evening Dire,…considering how this day has gone for
my friends/neighbours to da south of me–:)

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Well I’m going to go eat some cookie dough and watch the Duck Dynasty marathon.

Have a good night.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Banning immigration from Mexico would cut down of violent crime – lots of it.

VorDaj on December 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Who didn’t have a Barlow back in the day.

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Mexico has always been violent and crime-ridden, even before the drug cartels.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

mexico is a slaughterhouse warzone

SparkPlug on December 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

When Obama, in his otherwise good speech, stated:

And we’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.

I knew that the meaningful action would be all about politics.

Will we address the culture of violence generated by liberal Hollywood, evidenced in the Django movie and Jamie Foxx’s boast that he enjoyed killing white people in the movie? I doubt it.

Will we address mental health and educational privacy laws, which instill fear of legal liability for reporting potentially violent mentally ill people to law enforcement? I doubt it.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

To the little ones…………

Real Life – Send Me An Angel (extended version)
***********************************************
************************************************

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Good evening Folks..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Hi Dire, listened to your screen name tonight cooking dinner. Tried to get something to cheer me up but nothing is working.

Ernesto did get promoted from semi-troll to the Varsity tonight. So we have that.

arnold ziffel on December 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Charles Williams II speaks at a union protest against right-to-work legislation in Lansing, Michigan. Williams introduced two Democratic state representatives and said, “Just know one thing, Rick Snyder. You sign that bill, you won’t get no rest. We’ll meet you on Geddes Road. We’ll be at your daughter’s soccer game. We’ll visit you at your church. We’ll be at your office.”

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Well I’m going to go eat some cookie dough and watch the Duck Dynasty marathon.

Have a good night.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

gg:Love those guys,have a good night,…nite:)

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Obviously Jacobson is on fire tonight…and this is why you can not talk with a leftist…they are truly the One Dimensional Man

r keller on December 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I blame the parents.

JPeterman on December 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You make a very good point..I Agree..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Well I’m going to go eat some cookie dough and watch the Duck Dynasty marathon.

Have a good night.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Ug. Man, I could go for some cookie dough.

Night Gopher. Which you aren’t.

Axe on December 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I look at my nephews and wonder if they will ever have the America that I had.

gophergirl on December 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I went up to see my 18 yr old nephew at A&M a few weekends ago (he’s a freshman and his father – my brother – died 9 years ago) and we were discussing this same thing. Luckily, he’s a conservative savant but it was hard putting into words the America that I grew up in. Sometimes I think it’s easier for the younger generations because you don’t miss what you never had. But for those say 45 and above, it’s heartbreaking. Like watching a parent die of a terminal illness knowing there’s no more you can do. We’re a country in decay and have passed the tipping point. These kids will never see the shining city upon the hill.

TxAnn56 on December 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

a sad day, but obama remains vigilant.

never let a crisis go to waste

-pos

renalin on December 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Obama, were he a decent man, would have just offered his condolences to the families, for him and for the land.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

-pos

renalin on December 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

More like “-poo” (piece of 0bama).

freedomfirst on December 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Good evening Friend..It has been a bad day for sure..:(

PS..Do you have your Grandkids this weekend??..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

arnold ziffel on December 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good evening Friend..It is tough to be in a good mood I agree..:(

PS..I always considered Ernesto a varsity member.Jut second stream..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

As an Aspie, I’m in Sheldon Cooper mode right now. All those beautiful innocents are dead…and I’m feeling…

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Brandon Darby Brandon Darby ‏@brandondarby

Wait. So Eric Holder isn’t to blame for Fast and Furious, but the NRA is to blame for school shootings? Got it.

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

He surely has a penchant about making it about him and about politics.

CW on December 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Where were those tears by Obie when Benghazi happened??..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I will echo my Prime Minister:)

Stephen Harper ‏@pmharper

The news is just awful. The thoughts and prayers of Canadians are with the students and families in CT affected by this senseless violence.

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Are you a Big Bang Theory fan??..I love the show..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Very nice statement..:)

PS..It going to be a living he11 for those parents..This will be hard if not impossible for them to get over..:(

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

“The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.”

– Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8

“Properly armed” meaning having access to a semi-automatic rifle that holds 30 rounds a clip, right?

Tom_Shipley on December 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

In fact…yes.

At the time that was written, “properly armed” meant with weapons suitable for military use (i.e.: combat arms).
In fact, to be “properly armed”, one should possess an arm capable of full-automatic fire.

Careful with that snark, skippy. It might turn around and bite you on the butt.

Solaratov on December 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Yeah. I’m a Leonard-Sheldon hybrid. I have 3 cat-2 of them are …Sheldon and Penny.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

What? http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA35VU902

davidk on December 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Life goes on.

Guess it’s hard to flash a winning smile and talk about how great it feels to work with [whoever-you-want], the genius, and the way you think the project [whatever-you-want] has moved/raised the bar in the genre, and how it’s all about the fans — immediately after a massacre.

Also — aside from the optics of being seen in sequins the day after the massacre — everyone in the press is busy and likely to ignore you anyway, so you would flop.

Also — it’s possible the hollowness would show . . .

Or — Cruise & Co might truly think it’s disrespectful.

Need an x-ray to find out. Who hates Cruise?

Axe on December 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Very nice statement..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Dire Straits:Yes,h*llacious is an under-statement,and its a world
of hurt,I don’t know,if I could endure!:)

canopfor on December 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I thought of you this afternoon. You are a great lady and you don’t play victim. Thanks for clarifying it for so many.

The land is full of fools, from the very top on down.

This is a travesty. All who make it into politics should go to Hades, pronto.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Careful with that snark, skippy. It might turn around and bite you on the butt.

Solaratov on December 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Might be useful to think in terms of reciprocity. To be properly armed is to be armed such that you can answer the fire of whoever is firing on you (1:1).

Just talking.

Axe on December 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I was wondering where that beer was… ;P

SWalker on December 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I borrowed it..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Give it back when you’re finished using it.

Solaratov on December 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Good deal..I like Leonard the best..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I’m not normally one to do this but…*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Solaratov on December 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Friend, be warned – T_Shipley is Ed’s “erudite leftist friend”.

T_S is most always dead wrong. However, he is a decent fellow and not a gnatbrain like the other few…especially the onse who came out for air today…or the ones who infested the air…

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I’m not normally one to do this but…*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Aw. :)

Axe on December 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I’m not normally one to do this but…*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Hah, as you say, it’s against your nature and condition; thus, it’s one of the most special hugs. One back at ya, and never let the turkeys bring you down, never.

Schadenfreude on December 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM