Developing: Multiple fatalities in elementary school shooting in Connecticut; Update: At least 26 dead?

posted at 1:01 pm on December 14, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

CBS is reporting that 27 people have been killed by a lone gunman at an elementary school in Connecticut:

CBS News is reporting that 27 people are dead, including 14 students, after a shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The gunman is among the dead.

CBS News’ John Miller reports there is preliminary information that the gunman was the father of one of the students. Miller additionally reports the gunman is 20 years old and is from New Jersey.

The shooter was killed and apparently had two guns, a person with knowledge of the shooting said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way. It is not known whether the shooter took his own life or was killed.

Updates to follow.

Update: An interview with one of the students on the scene:

Update: Fox is confirming that at least 26 people have been killed:

DEVELOPING: Authorities say at least 26 people, including 18 children, were killed Friday when a gunman opened fire inside a Connecticut elementary school.

A law enforcement official said the shooter, who is dead, is believed to be a father of one of the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.

An official with knowledge of the situation told the Associated Press that the man apparently had two guns.

Earlier reports of a second gunman are unconfirmed. The Connecticut Post reports that police are also questioning a handcuffed man in connection with the shooting. Witnesses told the newspaper he was led out of the woods by officers.

Update: While it appears that one gunman is dead, there are more unconfirmed reports of a possible second gunman:

Police report that the school is now cleared of shooters, but they are still treating it as an active shooter situation and all schools in the district remain locked down. There are unconfirmed reports of a second shooter, but it is unclear what happened to that gunman.

State police officers have gone classroom to classroom to make sure the school is clear. Authorities are searching the area, doing roadblocks and checking suspicious vehicles out of an abundance of caution. There are also unconfirmed reports that authorities have surrounded a purple van in Danbury that may be connected to the shooting. …

The first 911 call reportedly came in just after 9:40 a.m., stating that multiple students were trapped in a classroom with a gunman, who authorities say was an adult who had at least two guns. The school locks its exterior doors during the school day, so it is unclear how the gunman or gunmen gained access to the building.

Update: From the White House:

“There is — will be, rather — a day for discussion of the usual Washington policy debates but I don’t think that day is today,” Carney said, noting also that President Obama believes that “it’s important on a day like to day to  . . . feel enormous sympathy for families that are affected and to do everything we can to support state and local law enforcement and to support those who are enduring what appears to be a very tragic event.”

Update:

Update (MKH):

Local law enforcement held a press conference around 1:45 p.m., with a spokesman for Gov. Malloy and a Lt. Paul Vance in the state police force. There wasn’t much that we don’t already know, but there’s a bit about the timeline of the day.

Newtown Police received the 911 call at 9:30 a.m. They contacted state police and requested assistance from state police and surrounding police forces.

Police entered the school immediately upon arrival and conducted an active shooter search, which means “every door, every crack, every crevice, every portion of that school” was searched, Vance said.

“There were several fatalities at the scene, both students and staff,” Vance said, but said no specific information was being given out until all notifications were made.

“The shooter is deceased inside the building,” Vance said. “The scene is secure.”

Vance said there’s a great deal of search warrant activity going on, and many agencies are working on answering the many questions in this horrific incident.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

WTF?

pat on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Heartbreaking.
Absolutely awful.

NeoKong on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Dear God, please hold all those killed in Your arms, help those wounded, and please comfort the families.
Amen.
L

letget on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I am about to puke…could care less about adults, but dead kids make me lose it.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Oh dear.

My prayers go out to the families involved in this tragedy.

I cannot help but feel that a tea party member is going to be blamed for this.

Defenestratus on December 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Trollcott.

CurtZHP on December 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Fox reporting 27 dead, 18 children, 8 staff, and the gunman.

Horrific. Worse still, it appears he targeted a kindergarten classroom.

novaculus on December 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This is the local twitter feed from the Danbury News Times.

CTSherman on December 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Since and heartfel prayers for the families and friends of all those involved. Gather your family and friends close to you this Holiday Season, and hold on tight.
Ephesians 6:12 -

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

kingsjester on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Doesn’t Connecticut have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country?

Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I cannot fathom this. Our family will be praying for these poor poor parents. God, please heal this community.

Weight of Glory on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I just don’t understand anymore :(

JPeterman on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I am about to puke…could care less about adults, but dead kids make me lose it.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, adults matter too dude. And how many of those non-essential adults have kids who are now parentless??

What a devastating tragedy. God be with them all.

MikeknaJ on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

What would possess this gunman to do this?

Illinidiva on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

There’s no words.

El_Terrible on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Horrible.

Prayers with the victims and their families.

gwelf on December 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So sad that these senseless shootings continue to happen. Laugh or ridicule me if want, but I am totally convinced that the government is somehow behind these shootings involving elaborate brain washing techniques all for the sole purpose of gun control or confiscation.

bgibbs1000 on December 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Dark days. God be with the victims and the families.

So sorry.

NC Cop on December 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

18 kids and 8 adults dead.

a capella on December 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

$4 TRILLION PLUS in stimulus spending…..that can’t pay for ARMED SECURITY AT PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

I blame Obama and the Democrats!!!

Why do they hate public school children?

You KNOW the Dems will be blaming the gop for NOT paying for this in the Education budget.

PappyD61 on December 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Guns will be blamed instead of this totally immoral and insane society the worthless 60′s generation has created.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This is just awful.

And it will be made worse by the left turning this into a rant against guns.

milcus on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I am about to puke…could care less about adults, but dead kids make me lose it.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I hope you typed this out of shock – because if you mean it then you hurt dozens of relatives of those 8 adults – some of whom may have died shielding little children with their bodies

think about it

EricPWJohnson on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

My thoughts exactly. Although classroom sizes are probably in the double digits, so I guess it’s possible if the guy cornered two whole classes.

I feel sick just reading about it.

John_Locke on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

No words at all.
Just tears.

Jabberwock on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

It’s absolutely horrible.

Drained Brain on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

“Doesn’t Connecticut have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country?

Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM”

Are you assuming the gunman got his gun in Connecticut? Gun control laws limit access to guns, it doesn’t prevent someone from getting a gun in another state and bringing it into the state, dumbass.

nonpartisan on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Prayers going up.

22044 on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

l

etget on December 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

amen

conservative tarheel on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

20 year old Dad of a 6 year old kid. My math aint too good, but that don’t seem too good.

cat-scratch on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Can’t imagine how a father, much less anyone else, could harm children. Prayers for all those involved.

search4truth on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I just don’t get the world sometimes. Who could do this? Where does this sort of evil come from?

I’ve studied mental illness for years, but I’ll never understand where these dark, unfathomable impulses come from. Revenge, that’s one thing, I understand revenge, I understand anger, but this isn’t revenge, this isn’t anger, this is cold blooded sadism, unrestrained sociopathy. This would have made the Marquis de Sade puke.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Great, just what we needed. Time to stock up on magazines.

hatecraft on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Doesn’t Connecticut have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country?
Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM
</blockquote

NJ too. If he drove up from NJ it proves more guns laws don't work.

jawkneemusic on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Oh Lord, please help those people. this is horrifying.

ted c on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Terrible news…I wish and hope the news reports are wrong. May God be comfort the victims and their families.

tommer74 on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

nonpartisan on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

gunman fm NJ … swat going into his house now

conservative tarheel on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

What would possess this gunman to do this?

Illinidiva on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I suspect a large part of it is copycat due to all the news coverage of similar incidents.

a capella on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I cannot help but feel that a tea party member is going to be blamed for this.

Defenestratus on December 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

The loss of young children like this is the worst loss.

I’m interested in the back story. Did the shooter lose his job. Was he schizophrenic. Was he on the outs with the mother of his child. In these cases I want to know, “why”. And there probably is no answer. Is this just a symptom of modern society.

Paul-Cincy on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

That’s one hell of a body count for a single shooter. I do not trust the media on this. Please update. I still can’t quite get over what happened in Belsan (sp?) this type of violence freaks me out.

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Only one shooter at Virginia Tech.

sentinelrules on December 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Great, just what we needed. Time to stock up on magazines.

hatecraft on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Go away.

kingsjester on December 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

What can one say about something this evil? Thoughts and prayers to the families suffering this afternoon. God bless them all.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Just awful.

Somebody above mentioned the Beslan massacre which happened a little over 10 years ago. That also came to mind for when initially reading about this.

Robert_Paulson on December 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Doesn’t Connecticut have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country?

Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Not necessarily. I’ve had a cc permit since I moved here. Wasn’t too difficult to get if you want it.

I have friends with grandchildren that go to this school.
Prayers for all.

CTSherman on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Precisely my point. That’s a whole lotta good those strict gun control laws did. /sarc

Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The devil is loose in this world. My God! What type of evil is within some people that they would cavalierly take other people’s lives. It must be an incredible evil.

milemarker2020 on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

cat-scratch on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

HOW DARE YOU JUDGE…today’s “adults” should be able to do whatever they want and who are you to say otherwise. Ruining a child’s life is a RIGHT according to the enlightened DNC.

I blame lack of abortion access due to so cons.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

OK, but a 22yo just shoots up a mall food court in Portland and kills two people and himself.
This guy get over 20?
I want to know the rest of the story……..and I’ll keep homeschooling.

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Horrible! Just heard about it on Rush. Absolutely horrible and sick.
Those poor kids!

JellyToast on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

David Frum tweets:

Shooting at CT elementary school. Obviously, we need to lower the age limit for concealed carry so toddlers can defend themselves.

disgusting

Slade73 on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

“That’s one hell of a body count for a single shooter. I do not trust the media on this.

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM”

When you have guns and alot of ammo in a small space, its not difficult to kill alot of people in a very short amount of time.

nonpartisan on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Shooter drove in from Jersey. Parent of a student.

Apparently…he was near the kindergarten class room.

Killed the principle and an assistant in the office. Wounded the vice.

Most likely killed his child.

budfox on December 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

18 angels.

God be with their families.

portlandon on December 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

WTF? Seems to sum up my thoughts right now.

My prayers go to the victims and their families. I’m not sure how a parent of one of these children makes it through today.

Paleoconservatarian on December 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Mohonri on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM”

Depends on what he was using. Rifles and shotguns require no permit or registration in Connecticut.
Handguns require a permit to purchase but aren’t registered.
CN gun laws.

This is awful no matter what.

Curmudgeon on December 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

If he was only 20 years old, and he used a hand gun it again proves gun laws don’t work. You’re not allowed to buy or own a handgun until you’re 21.

jawkneemusic on December 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I don’t know if all the kids were killed in one room, I kinda doubt it. But when something bad is happening, it’s always good to act immediately, i.e., barricade the door, etc.

Blake on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

And the rush to blame is in high gear, its sick.

Speakup on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

why can’t these nutjobs just shoot themselves and be done with it. always gotta create chaos before they go. and children? enjoy the heat of hell buddy.

GhoulAid on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

What would possess this gunman to do this?

Illinidiva on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Too early to know, but since they are saying this was the father of one of the children in the school, it could be anything from a divorce and custody fight to an unbalanced person who went over the edge.

No, it makes no sense; but we are sane people, therefore we can’t understand why anyone would do anything this horrific. There are some unbalanced folks out there that we unfortunately have to share the world with.

AZfederalist on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Connecticut has a huge muslim population – sadly, this sounds like it may be a jihadist attack.

Prayers for all victims and prayers that the full truth behind this horrific act be revealed in a timely fashion.

Pork-Chop on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Said this on the headline thread:

Most mass shootings like this occur in so-called “Gun-Free” zones where the perp know that no one will shoot back.

You can almost clock how long it’ll take the gun-grabbing-ghouls to take advantage of a tragedy like this to punish people who are innocent.

Fact is, guns are a very old technology – semi automatic weapons have been around for over 100 years and yet these tragedies are only recent occurrences – so why are folks going to blame the guns?

Galt2009 on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It’s not a large body cont where you’re talking about kindergartner through third grade.

Kids this age can barely run straight before falling down.

Worst human being to live.

budfox on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

think about it

EricPWJohnson on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I may be reading into this … I think what he meant was … if adults want to
kill each other that is one thing … but t kill kids … totally different

conservative tarheel on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

CBS reports there might be another shooter in custody

Slade73 on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

That twitter feed is saying an entire classroom is unaccounted for?

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Terrible! I can’t imagine parents and kids going through this.

The shooter is obviously insane. I beg the media to stop broadcasting this stuff–it’s like a big movie starring “me” to these nuts who sit at home and brood, and then snap.

PattyJ on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

As a father of two sons – this made me cry.

The right to bare arms – does not give you the right to slaughter people.

Our schools are locked and you cannot get in unless you are buzzed in.

I train my kids for situations like this.

It’s a dangerous world.

redguy on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We appear to have our own brand of suicide bombers, just different tools. The recent epidemic of these things is almost starting to form a pattern. Fox says a whole class of kindergardeners is unaccounted for and may have been killed.

a capella on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

disgusting

Slade73 on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Gallows humor, a manifestation of the mental illness that most liberals have.

sentinelrules on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

cat-scratch on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

My thoughts exactly. Immature loser with evil intent. May he rot in Hell.

Bitter Clinger on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Great, just what we needed. Time to stock up on magazines.

hatecraft on December 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Ffs, are you serious?

changer1701 on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Pork-Chop on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Exactly
They surrounded a house?
This is not one loser parent.

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Too early to know. Speculation is just that, speculation. Jihadi, crazy man (I repeat myself). We just don’t know yet.

WitchDoctor on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I may be reading into this … I think what he meant was … if adults want to
kill each other that is one thing … but t kill kids … totally different

conservative tarheel on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

No that is not one thing. Killing people is wrong regardless how old they are.

redguy on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I may be reading into this … I think what he meant was … if adults want to
kill each other that is one thing … but t kill kids … totally different

conservative tarheel on December 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Please don’t try and defend stupid and insensitive. Those 8 staff members had families and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they died trying to protect the children in their charge. I just can’t fathom how anybody could do something like this.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Ffs, are you serious?

changer1701 on December 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

It’s a troll.

kingsjester on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

As long as you’re clutching at straws to explain the unexplainable, don’t forget to blame the worthless 40′s generation who created that worthless 60′s generation. Or maybe it was the fault of the 20′s generation who created the 40′s generation…

cam2 on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I was just talking to my brother about this who reminded me that the first single episode mass murderer like this was Henry Unruh who killed 13 people (including three children) on September 6, 1949, in Camden, New Jersey. The first one I remember as a kid was Charles Whitman in ’66 and then it was the McDonalds in CA in the 80s. Seems like since the 90s, it’s just commonplace. But yeah, guns will be blamed without mentioning that if a teacher had been armed…..

TxAnn56 on December 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Terrible! I can’t imagine parents and kids going through this.

PattyJ on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Very sage advice. But this is our society. Mass killers are hyped.

Paul-Cincy on December 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Tragic… Almost as sad as THOUSANDS of dead Mexicans…

Quick, send the Fire Department, the Reichstag is burning.

CrazyGene on December 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

cam2 on December 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Shuddup and go away. This is not a thread for Trolls.

kingsjester on December 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Twitchy reporting libs already mocking the shooting.. mocking the victims.

These people are utterly disgusting. Depraved!

JellyToast on December 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

ORconservative on December 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I will never forget that incident…my grandson had just started school.

lovingmyUSA on December 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Words fail.

rebuzz on December 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

David Frum tweets:

disgusting

Slade73 on December 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Did he seriously write that? Even Costas had more tact than that. What a vile piece of crap.

Doughboy on December 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Guns We will be blamed instead of this totally immoral and insane society the worthless 60′s generation has created.

ClassicCon on December 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Fixed it for you.

The scum-sucking Left is already working to politicize this, and bodies aren’t even cold. They live for tragedies like this; they think these are “teachable moments” that give them the opportunity to further mock and dehumanize their opponents.

JimLennon on December 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

BAN GUNS!!!

PappyD61 on December 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

If we would just ban guns, we would never have to worry about wingnuts going on rampages in schools.

Oh, wait…

Resist We Much on December 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

holy cow

prayers heading to ct….

cmsinaz on December 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

gun laws won’t work on a state by state basis

guns need to be banned from the country period.

the argument that guns dont kill people, people do is retarded. of course guns dont kill by themselves, but guns allow crazy emotional people to inflict crazy damage in a short period of time.

I’m pissed beyond belief that this unnecessary tragedy continues to happen…

for all the gun supporters, answer me this:

How many mass shooting tragedies has occurred in countries with complete bans on guns versus the US? That defeats any stupid arguments you have.

nonpartisan on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Prayers to all.

skilletlicker on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Sad, sad, sad that any human brain is capable of making such hideous choices.

I really hope the actual death toll is far lower than what is being reported right now. I’m sure the scene is still very chaotic, making it very difficult to get accurate figures.

My deepest sympathy to those families.

catsandbooks on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Obama to speak with Gabby Giffords at his side about the evils of gun ownership in 3..2..1

Mr. Arrogant on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I don’t know how you get to a place where you could do this to innocent little kids. “Evil” doesn’t even begin to cover it. Hug yours tight tonight, for there are dark things on the march.

JeremiahJohnson on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

As a father of two sons – this made me cry.

The right to bare arms – does not give you the right to slaughter people.

redguy on December 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah, we need to mandate long sleeves for the safety of the children. ;0

Sorry, I felt the need to post something more light-hearted than I’m feeling on learning that an entire Kindergarten class is unaccounted for. Simply incomprehensible.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

BAN GUNS!!!

PappyD61 on December 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

lsm to start the meme in 5…4…3…

cmsinaz on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The week before Christmas. Dear God.

stenwin77 on December 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Couldn’t care less what the White House has to say. They are phonies. The say this now but tomorrow they will blame guns and us conservatives instead of the anti-God culture they and the left have created. This is evil and should be recognized as such but since the left doesn’t acknowledge evil they will blame an inanimate object.

jawkneemusic on December 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM