Video: The $100 traffic ticket

posted at 2:01 pm on December 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

People are quick to criticize the police, and rightly so, when they act in abusive and/or illegal ways, but it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that those are exceptions and not the rule.  Most people who go into police work do so in order to serve and protect their communities, and do so quietly, unobtrusively, and bravely — and not just a few give their lives in doing so each year.  Occasionally, we get a glimpse of that commitment through a random act of kindness, and CBS News reports one such incident from Plano, Texas:

When 25-year-old Hayden Carlo was pulled over for an expired registration sticker by a Plano police officer, he told him without hesitation – he had no excuse.

“I said there’s no explanation for why I haven’t done it, except I don’t have the money….it was either feed my kids or get my registration done.”
The cop gave Carlo a ticket…and something else.

“I opened it up and there’s a 100 dollar bill. I broke down in my car what else could I do?,” Carlo told CBS DFW.

The officer never told anyone about the $100 gift. But Carlo’s grandfather, Billy McIntire, was so moved by the kind gesture he wrote a letter to the department.

“I get emotional when we talk about this type of thing,” McIntire says. “You just don’t find that many officers who would do this type of thing.”

We write about a lot of bad news. It’s good to offer something uplifting along with it, especially in this Advent season.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

interesting. like a reverse bribe

Drunk Report on December 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Cool. Plano is a nice town too.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM

like a reverse bribe

Drunk Report on December 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

No, like a human being helping another human being.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That was a wonderful thing for the police officer to do! This makes my heart feel good for people to be kind to those in need. And American’s, for the most part, are the most generous bunch on the planet. And I think they won’t stop even if the ‘charity’ deduction gets the boot by bho/team!

Our home gives and can’t take a penny for doing so on our taxes.
L

letget on December 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I wish people would stop bringing to attention anonymous acts of kindness. They were done anonymously for a reason.

I say this because I have done things like this before, paying for somebody’s meal at a restaurant without them knowing, dropping off food, ANONYMOUSLY. It would tick me off to be in the spotlight for it.

portlandon on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The real lesson here is that in Red State Texas

You Can Register Two Cars For Annual Registration For Only $100 !!!

I’m sitting here in CA with a 2002 Volvo S 60 and a 2004 WRX (I have to drive “liberal” cars because I’m in enemy territory, so save your comments….plus I like ‘em).

My fees were $144.00 and $137.00 for these cars both with 145K on them.

Shaughnessy on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

My husband got stopped for speeding and the cop let him go without a ticket because he said he liked the Romney/Ryan stickers on our car.

JA on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m going to try using that story next time I get pulled over.

Think it’ll work?

UltimateBob on December 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Typical reaction form the left…. the law should come down on this guy like a ton of bricks.

Unless he’s an 0bama donor, right? Then he should be given a waiver that lets his break the law anytime he wants.

UltimateBob on December 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

“I thought we could take care of it here. In Brainerd.”

Akzed on December 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You make me want to puke, trollboy.

JPeterman on December 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

My fees were $144.00 and $137.00 for these cars both with 145K on them.

Shaughnessy on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

dayum!!! I will kwitmabitchin! Our two cars are actually about $120 combined here in Texas.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

If I was wealthy I’d go about doing things like this every day, just to make people happy.

Bob's Kid on December 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Plano Police Department fires officer in 5…4…3…

Recent events tells me that good deeds are not tolerated by employers any longer in this country.

DoS_Conservative on December 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Exceptions? LOL.

Dante on December 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We should respect this officer’s wish to remain anonymous. We don’t want other people expecting similar handouts from him by offering similar stories when they’re pulled over. Honor the deed but leave him unidentified.

Chuckles3 on December 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

S’matter, tommy? Liquor store quit tradin’ booze for food stamps?

Solaratov on December 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Typical of the 47%, always whining about the cost of raising a family and their low wages. I’m surprised he didn’t tail the cop and beg for more.

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Exceptions? LOL.

Dante on December 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Hell, Obama voters don’t even get pulled over for talking on their free Obama phones.

2lbsTest on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

DoS_Conservative on December 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

You’ve sure got that right.

AutoZone Employee (and Veteran) Fired After Using His Gun to Ward Off Armed Robber

JPeterman on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

The real lesson here is that in Red State Texas
You Can Register Two Cars For Annual Registration For Only $100 !!!

My fees were $144.00 and $137.00 for these cars both with 145K on them.
Shaughnessy on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

That’s nothing. After that jerkoff Bill Ritter got his way here in Colorado, my registration fees went from $35 for a used car to over $700 for a new car. It drops every year based on the value but I’m still paying over $300 for a car built in 2008. And that’s just my car. My wife’s which was built in 2005 is still over $150. I couldn’t believe having just moves from California that my registration fees in Colorado now exceed those in California.

jawkneemusic on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

A good story for this time of year.

moc23 on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Next we will hear the officer was disciplined or fired. Or, some minority offender will come forward and claim this officer was “too rough” with them, and obvious sign of Racism.

echosyst on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I don’t know if the cop was a Christian, but I strongly sense that he was… merely because this was a perfect illustration of Christian charity. We are not to neglect our duties (writing the ticket) in order to help others; we should help others alongside our duties.

This is what atheists don’t understand about the God we serve. Yes He is love and compassion… but he is also justice. Even though He loves us, the price for our sins must still be paid… He just provided the payment through His Son Jesus Christ.

The only question is who will accept the gift and who will not.

dominigan on December 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

And another idiot chimes in.

JPeterman on December 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The cop is enabling a culture of dependence.

Pablo Honey on December 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Maybe he would be able to pay for both if your POS liar in chief wouldn’t have destroyed our economy.

jawkneemusic on December 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Nothing like an act of kindness to stir the hornets nest of godless reprobate leftists.

Together We Thrive™

tom daschle concerned on December 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

My fees were $144.00 and $137.00 for these cars both with 145K on them.

Shaughnessy on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

And you think that’s high?
In Colorado, thanks to the prior Dem governor raising all the fees:
New plates for my son’s new Toyota Tacoma – $480
Renewal for my 03 Avalanche – $150 (first year for new plates was about $700
Renewal for our 06 Pontiac G6 – $160 (first year was about $600)
Collector plate good for 5 years for my 74 Camaro – $130

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I hope the officer’s good deed is contagious and HA readers that can afford to give a little find a way to do so this season. I know it encourages me.

My husband was once pulled over around 2009 when Tea Party fever was heating up. He was taking our daughter to the doctor and was running late and speeding. The officer asked my husband what he did for work, and my husband told him.

the officer responded by saying something like well you are taxpayer and trying to take care of your daughter, I’ll let it pass, but slow it down.

I have never been lucky enough to avoid a ticket. I did help my husband avoid one once by sticking my pregnant belly out as much as I could so the guy would cut him some slack. It worked.

earlgrey133 on December 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t tail the cop and beg for more.
bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Not everyone acts the way you do.

tommyboy on December 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

jawkneemusic on December 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Funny, I thought the economy was nearly eviscerated under Bush and made a comeback under Obama. Then again, I’ve been reading too much financial press recently and missing Glen Beck.

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Man too poor to pay state. State employee gives him some money to pay the state.
If man became police officer he could be well off too.

Mormontheman on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I wish I could have been pulled over by a cop like this.
I got a ticket on my 20th birthday for doing 71 in a 55 (many years ago), on an empty highway in the middle of the night and the cop said “gee if I had noticed it was your birthday, I would let you off with a warning, too bad, sign here.”

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

A great story! Thanks for posting! :-)

Hobbes on December 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Made a comeback? Really? Well, tell me a single economic indicator that “financial press” reveals that is better under Obama. Please verify this amazing “comeback” disclosed by your awesome financial press.

tommyboy on December 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Interesting comment coming from a 47 percenter….

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m guessing that, if the guy had just gone on welfare instead, the resident trolls would be cool with that.

How dare someone give someone else something out of their own pocket without going through Almighty Government!

CurtZHP on December 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM

“I thought we could take care of it here. In Brainerd.”

Akzed on December 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I want to be in compliance and everything.

Hat Trick on December 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

…make sure you don’t open your mouth…so you can choke on it!
If it starts coming out of your a$$…
make sure one of these two people are in close proximity…

Dante

OR

bayam

…before you squat!
Thank you…so much!

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I disagree. Some precious few police officers were drawn to law enforcement for that reason. The majority were attracted to the profession because they like having authority over others.

Nessuno on December 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

jawkneemusic on December 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Yep, I just renewed our tags for the Suburban and it was $300+ and our new minivan was $600+….I need to move back to NE.

tommer74 on December 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Cool.

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

That’s a pretty honest revelation of your psychosis and propaganda programming. Except maybe the Beck part (I don’t watch him either).

As per usual, however, you have the rest of it 100% backwards – congratulations, you’re a perfect;y reliable little propaganda sponge / dreck regurgitation device.

Midas on December 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The only question is who will accept the gift and who will not.

dominigan on December 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m trying to follow your logic. The price for our sins have been paid in blood. Period. There isn’t anything else we can do to please God. If you think so, then it becomes about salvation through works and not salvation through grace.

Hat Trick on December 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Nessuno on December 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

In my experience, people seem to feel about the police in a way that’s relative to the amount of time their own sketchy behavior brings them into proximity/interaction negatively with the police.

The more ya misbehave, the more ya tend to have an unfavorable view of the cops.

I’m just saying – people who generally ‘keep their nose clean’ generally also have a favorable view of cops, and those that don’t, well… don’t.

Midas on December 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

My goodness, I never dreamed there was so many here that think an act of kindess is not the right thing to do? I feel sorry for those!
L

letget on December 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I sort of agree with those saying this should’ve been kept under wraps, for the officer’s sake…he obviously didn’t want a big deal made (which is why the bill was with the ticket, versus him making a show of whipping out his wallet or whatever). Some people just do things like this simply to brighten up someone else’s day.

Still, maybe publicizing it will lead to others doing the same thing.

changer1701 on December 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

bayam

Well, you are an idiot, so that kind of thinking isn’t surprising coming from you.

xblade on December 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Makers and takers. Makes me want to puke.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

what’s happenin’ in Council Bluffs today pukester?

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Hat Trick on December 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

This is the old Protestant v. Catholic thing. Is it by faith alone or faith and works! Wars have been literally been fought over this
debate.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM

letget on December 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

libero typico letget, they are miserable folks. All you can do is laugh at them since they seem to like it so much.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

In Colorado, thanks to the prior Dem governor raising all the fees:
New plates for my son’s new Toyota Tacoma – $480
Renewal for my 03 Avalanche – $150 (first year for new plates was about $700
Renewal for our 06 Pontiac G6 – $160 (first year was about $600)
Collector plate good for 5 years for my 74 Camaro – $130

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yeah but now you can legally get stoned.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hat Trick on December 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

So I guess all those parts of the Bible where Christ teaches us the things we should and should not do in this life really don’t matter and can be safely ignored then? Because if you’re saved through grace alone, then it really doesn’t matter whether you give to the poor or hold up convenience stores, does it?

Shump on December 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Haters gonna hate and takers gonna take. I’m just saying maybe this loser should have got on his Obama phone and ask Uncle Joe to send hi his check!

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

This chick’s got issues!

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I didn’t watch the video. Someone fill me in – was it a $200 ticket?

Prop Gun on December 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

bayam on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

What comeback you a$$clown?! Unemployment is still higher than it was when your Messiah took office. Delusion is strong with this one.

jawkneemusic on December 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yeah but now you can legally get stoned.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

if you have any money left after registering your car….

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM

And on today’s post about kindness and charity we have;

tommyhawk
Dante
bayam

Puking all over the place.

Liberals disgust me to no end.

D-fusit on December 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

D-fusit on December 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You creep-os are the ones shooting santa claus. I guess Mitt would have given this fine fellow an opportunity to clean his car and then bought him a frozen turkey.

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

On the other hand Obarky would give him a EBT card and a ride to the liquor store. STFD and STFU dimbulb.

D-fusit on December 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Nessuno on December 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Midas on December 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

My wife was a (college campus) police dispatcher all the way through college, so we associated with a lot of cops for many years – college, city, and county levels. And I’ve worked a lot of employer panels with several cops (state, county and city) at the local military bases. Most of them are really good people.

But I’ve also known some bad ones, and some on power-trips.
Overall not much different spread than any other career field.
And I’ve had my fair share of tickets over the years – and only had to deal with one who was a total @sshole – and I fought him in court over the ticket and won. All the others I just paid because I was in fact guilty.

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Ah yes, typical twisted liberal thinking.
Individual being charitable to another individual = BAD!!!!
Emperor Almighty Messiah ObowMao giving away Other peoples money = FANTASTIC!!!!

BeachBum on December 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I would like to see a follow up story to see what this freeloader actually spent the money on…was it booze, gambling, or drugs.

Pablo Honey on December 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Pablo Honey on December 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This was a private gift. None of your business. But, you are liberal.
I would would like to see how freeloaders spend TAXPAYER money.
But then, I’m conservative.

Jabberwock on December 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I’m surprised the liberals here are not advocating elimination of auto registration fees. How are the poor supposed to pay these outrageous fees and get to their slave-wage jobs so they can feed their families? This is a regressive tax.

I have to say I have twice been ticketed for expired registration. And it was a $100 ticket, while the annual tag fee in PA is $35. I am terrible about remembering to renew. So are a lot of people, which is why the cops are looking for it. Easy money for the state.

rockmom on December 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM

these cops are overpaid.

sesquipedalian on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Heh!! I live in Plano…..
I can honestly say – the cops here are like that.

The neighbor that lives behind me is a grumpy old man
and use to call the cops when my kids would hit his fence
with a ball or a ball would go in his yard, etc….

After a summer of about 5 calls the cops finally brought the
old guy over and asked him what were my kids doing this time???

I think they shot a few baskets in his hoop…..

The cops wrote down his name and address and said for him not
to call them again unless his house was on fire. The cops winked at me
and told the kids something to the effect of go play somewhere else.

Have not heard from them for a few years now.

redguy on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The police officer will most likely be fired for malfeasance of office for not giving out a ticket…

Let no good deed go unpunished…

Kuffar on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

“I thought we could take care of it here. In Brainerd.”

Akzed on December 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

“You’re a real smooth smoothie!”

jackmac on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The officer is anonymous, the act of kindness is what’s being reported on.

portlandon on December 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You just brought yourself attention there.

whatcat on December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Pablo Honey on December 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Where do you get the idea he’s a freeloader?

Dante on December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

tommyhawk on December 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Apparently you do not recognize the difference between a gift and “charity” and the point of a government gun. But thanks for telling us about your own giving habits–it pretty well negates any point you ever try to make about mean old conservatives and “helping others.”

DrMagnolias on December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Dante on December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Because as Carl Jung said, “Projections change the world into the replica of one’s unknown face.”

DrMagnolias on December 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

So I’ve got to ask, why is the nice police officer wandering around with hundred dollar bills in his pocket? I’ve been feeling guilty this season because I have *no* change or paper bills to put in the Salvation Army buckets because *every* thing is done on plastic any more. Nice police officers don’t use plastic for everything like everyone else does?

NahnCee on December 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I was stopped recently for expired tabs. Never got a reminder and just plain forgot. $260.00. Huzzah.

WitchDoctor on December 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Oh yeah, and it’s a traffic violation, so now I have that going for me.

WitchDoctor on December 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM

these cops are overpaid.

sesquipedalian on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

You forgot the sarc tag. I hope.

Jabberwock on December 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

these cops are overpaid.

sesquipedalian on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Blame it on those public sector unions you love so much.

JPeterman on December 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

“I thought we could take care of it here. In Brainerd.”

Akzed on December 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Woah, Daddy.

Nick_Angel on December 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

NahnCee on December 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Why is that any of your business? I always have a few hundreds tucked away in my wallet for emergencies.

JPeterman on December 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Thanks for posting this, Ed.

NC Cop on December 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

When I was doing employer panels at the military bases, I regularly did them with the head recruiter for Colorado State Patrol – Trooper Mo. He was hilarious – great recruiter.
“I’m here to talk to you all about a career in sales and customer service. We at CSP have about 300 different products that you will have the opportunity to go out and sell to the public. And we will even pay you a full salary to attend our 22 week sales academy. Once you get out on the road, you don’t even have to make cold calls because people out there will do all kinds of things to get your attention just so they can buy one of your products. And despite what you may have heard, we do NOT have a quota. You’re allowed to sell as many of these products as you can…”
The guy was great – but the rest of us on the panel always insisted he had to introduce himself last because he was such a tough act to follow.

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Typical liberal. Making claims in the absence of any supportable data.

blink on December 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

typical conservative. no sense of humor, only outrage 24/7.

sesquipedalian on December 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

these cops are overpaid.

sesquipedalian on December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM
You forgot the sarc tag. I hope.

Jabberwock on December 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

…no!…someone had an enema…all the feces was dumped here today!

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

OT Hannity just announced that S, Rice dropping out for SoS.

Jabberwock on December 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Where do you get the idea he’s a freeloader?

Dante on December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Makers…pay for their car registrations on time without excuses.

Takers…don’t.

Pablo Honey on December 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Together We Thrive™

tom daschle concerned on December 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

people taking care of each other negates their need to depend upon government.