Ramirez on union “choice”

posted at 12:41 pm on December 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We had quite a show of civility in politics this week when union activists destroyed a tent manned by pro-Right to Work demonstrators in Lansing, Michigan.  They also destroyed a hot-dog cart and yelled racial epithets at its African-American proprietor, and repeatedly battered my friend Steven Crowder, whom I’ll interview later this afternoon.  The same American media that rushed to draw connections between the massacre in Tucson and Sarah Palin two years ago could hardly be bothered to report on the violence perpetrated by union activists, let alone condemn it or link it to the liberal politicians and Democrats funded by union donations.

Rich Lowry blasts the media response in a Politico column, wondering why actual union thuggery gets dismissed while Tea Party events get scrutinized for supposedly latent violent tendencies:

It was an ugly spectacle in Lansing the other day. A Republican lawmaker predicted blood on the streets. Profanity-spewing Chamber of Commerce goons went after union demonstrators. Anarcho-capitalists tried to push their way into a state building protected by the police.

The events chagrined editorialists around the country and Sunday show producers scrambled to book the most excruciatingly thoughtful guests they could find to hold forth at length about the importance of civility in politics.

Of course, none of these things actually happened. The inflammatory rhetoric and small-time thuggery in Michigan were all the work of the left in response to a new right-to-work law and will surely pass all but unnoticed by the people who consider it their calling to tsk-tsk about “the tone” of political debate.

Civility is one of the most absurdly abused of our political values. It is always centrally important to our functioning as a democracy — right up until the time someone proposes crossing the unions. Then, it goes from “can’t we all get along?” to “nothing to see here.” Then, out come the Hitler signs, the accusations of dictatorship, the huge inflatable rats, the sit-ins, the threats and even the fists, and all anyone can think to say is, “Isn’t it a shame someone had to go and get the unions angry?” ….

These aren’t tactics favored by the right, and if they were it would be an ongoing national scandal. It was considered a danger to the republic at the inception of the tea party when constituents asked sharp questions of the late Sen. Arlen Specter and booed at a town-hall meeting. An industry was devoted to evaluating the threat to the country represented by Glenn Beck’s words. And when Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot by an obviously deranged young man, liberal commentators rushed to blame cross hairs put on a congressional map by Sarah Palin.

The same standards will never be applied to the unions.

Or to the Left in general, at least not by the media industry as it exists today.

Michael Ramirez puts his Pulitzer Prize-winning talent into encapsulating the entire union temper tantrum into a single panel — and also brilliantly notes the future of unionism in its current form with the car model:

Also, be sure to check out Ramirez’ terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

Ramirez for POTUS 2016. You heard it first from me.

platypus on December 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

No doubt Erick Holder will be using his new found authority to track domestic terrorists to find out who those violent protestors were and bring them to justice. I sure hope Steven Crowder has a good attorney.

SWalker on December 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Somebody at Politico criticized the unions? That’s news itself.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Somebody at Politico criticized the unions? That’s news itself.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Somebody at Politico soon to have broken kneecaps is my guess.

SWalker on December 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I bless any thuggery on the media. Don’t treat them like they are something special. If they’re doing a live report, sidle right up next to them and make them nervous as hell.

reddevil on December 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

The fact that the car in Ramirez’s cartoon is an Edsel is priceless.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

That Edsel is ugly coming, a& going.

portlandon on December 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Somebody at Politico criticized the unions? That’s news itself.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Rich Lowry is the token conservative at Politico.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Here’s the story on the hotdog vendor:

Pic of the Day: Unions = Brotherhood = Brotherly Love?

Resist We Much on December 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The fact that the car in Ramirez’s cartoon is an Edsel is priceless.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Out: PROGRESSivism

In: Edselism

Resist We Much on December 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Uh, excuse me?

“A Republican lawmaker predicted blood on the streets…”

The only lawmaker who “predicted (called for) blood on the streets” was DEMOCRAT Michigan state Rep. Doug Geiss.

Pork-Chop on December 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

PERFECT

cmsinaz on December 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The Ed Show was reporting that a man with an orange NRA hat pulled the rope on the AFP tent. Translation: a red-neck conservative sabotaged the tent as a false flag maneuver.

The leftists do not know Michigan very well. The auto plants clear out in late November for . . . deer hunting. The irony of what the old, overweight, white union workers actually think of African Americans, left coast liberals is lost on the Daily Kos crowd.

mwbri on December 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I, for one, would welcome our liberal Smith & Wesson overlords.

Archivarix on December 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Somebody at Politico criticized the unions? That’s news itself.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Rich Lowery is a National Review editor and writer – as well as a syndicated columnist.

gwelf on December 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Pork-Chop on December 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

See 3rd paragraph of the excerpt:

“Of course, none of these things actually happened….”

Resist We Much on December 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Pork-Chop on December 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Lowry got me for a bit too, but the few first paragraphs are satire.

mwbri on December 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Pop quiz- Who said this?

But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized -– at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do -– it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.

Barak Hussein Obama in January 2011

How do liberals, including those in the media, live up to this sentiment? Apparently in their world if you don’t like something it is perfectly okay to attack. I give credit to Steven Crowder for not giving that fat ignorant union slob what he deserved but I honestly think it is time for those on the right to stop being nice and start giving these bastards some of their own. If they hold a rally in support of something- show up with the intent to disrupt and be a nuisance. If they want you to sign a petition, don’t just say no- get in their face close enough that they can feel your spittle! In short, it is absurd to think that you can reason with these animals. Treat them like the ignorant and selfish parasites they are.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Michael Ramirez is a genius! And a pretty good artist to boot.

RebeccaH on December 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

This is part of the Republicans media problem and, until they recognize it, it will never be solved. I heard Rush today commenting on the GQ ambush of Rubio with the “How old is the earth?” question. THe obvious answer for Republicans would be, “That’s not in my line of expertise, how old is the earth?” to which the questioner wouldn’t be able to answer either so then you could then ask, “So if you don’t know, why on earth would you ask a politician?”

They really need to get smarter about this LSM. Newt needs to give them the short course.

bflat879 on December 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Here’s the story on the hotdog vendor:

Pic of the Day: Unions = Brotherhood = Brotherly Love?

Resist We Much on December 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The guy apparently is a Lansing institution. He was just there as a caterer. In short the union thugs who destroyed a hot dog cart and were stealing food were going out after a guy trying to do his job and make a buck. I remember when unions supported that kind of thing.

Oh! And I love the two-pronged response by the unions to their thuggery. First, we need to forgive those animals because they were upset. Remember the Obamacare riots of 2010? Neither do I.

Secondly, Crowder got what he deserved by merely showing up and asking these animals why they were against right to work? Asking questions justifies punching out somebody and dropping a tent on children and people in wheelchairs, right? Honestly, I feel like punching out some union member just so I can use the excuse that I’m upset at unions. I’m sure that the charges would be dropped on the spot once I explained that.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

bflat879 on December 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Really not a difficult answer, best estimate, 4 billion years, give or take a couple of days.

SWalker on December 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

It’s only when people are forced to do what we want that they can be free.

/Oppressive-Left

Chip on December 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

African-American proprietor

Come on Ed, dude’s clearly not from Africa.

Or do you plan on changing your article to read

my Canadian-American friend Steven Crowder

LoganSix on December 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I bought Ramirez’s book as a Christmas gift for my husband, and now, I can’t find where I hid it. I hate when that happens.

I might have to buy another, but I’m happy to support a worthy cause.

pannw on December 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

[But I’ve got news for the left. There are many of us who will not go quietly. If it comes to it, we can hold rallies for America that will make your guys in Lansing look like sissies. Keep on pushing and see how those of us who do not like the direction being undertaken will push back! You guys predicted civil war and blood to which I can only say one thing…… Bring It On!]

The “many of us who will not go quietly” all have jobs and pay taxes and can’t call in sick to go to rally’s. We don’t have that kind of “Job Security.”

USMCmom on December 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Ya, I figured the COEXIST bumper sticker would be tossed under the bu, er, Edsel.

MNHawk on December 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

USMCmom on December 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Why do you think the gun-grabbers are chomping at the bit to disarm the law abiding?

Conversely, Why do you think AR’s and AK’s are flying off the selves and people are applying for concealed carry permits…

Chip on December 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

There is one aspect of RTW debate not discussed but is practiced here in CA, along the ports. That has to do with the ILWU (International Longshoreman’s Workers union).

As I understand from those attempting to to get jobs in the port, you can’t unless you are a member of the union. And you can only be a member of the union if you are ALLOWED to be a member of a union. That happens usually by bribery, nepotism or connections.

kurtzz3 on December 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ramirez missed the “free speech” sticker.

Schadenfreude on December 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Somebody at Politico criticized the unions? That’s news itself.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Somebody at Politico soon to have broken kneecaps is my guess.

SWalker on December 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

…I think I just shit my pants!

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

There is an early 80′s Monte Carlo I occasionally get behind on the way to work in the morning that has almost every bumper sticker (or close to it) on it. The whole lower back window, rear bumper, trunk lid. It’s disgusting. Union idiot can barely see out his back windshield.

portlandon on December 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I, for one, would welcome our liberal Smith & Wesson overlords.

Archivarix on December 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Many thanks for the plug – from a S&W stockholder…..

dentarthurdent on December 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

bflat879 on December 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

SWalker on December 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Really? When I was a boy, it was only 2 billion years old. I had no idea I had lived so long.

Best answer is “Why are you asking me? Is it coming up for a vote in Congress?”

tom on December 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My favorite greedy-union cartoon, of all time: You’re Just Gonna Have to Tighten Your Belt

slickwillie2001 on December 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM