Maybe Republicans should buy media outlets rather than donate to super-PACs

posted at 11:21 am on December 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

What was the secret of Barack Obama’s success in the 2012 election?  Traditionally, a President who produces substandard economic growth in a first term doesn’t get a second term; in fact, it’s about the only reason an incumbent President loses, other than offering a pardon to his predecessor.  One task in which Team Obama excelled was turning out low-information voters, a deliberate strategy that went all the way to the top.  While Barack Obama dodged the White House press for almost all of 2012, he continually appeared in entertainment venues to broaden his appeal and get reluctant voters to come out on Election Day.

Republicans tried to counter this with massive amounts of money from outside groups intended to even out the ad war.  They succeeded at that effort, but still lost the election, and ended up looking more marginalized than before.  Glenn Reynolds wonders whether that money would have been better spent buying the kind of media outlets that reach the voters Obama courted — especially among single women:

My suggestion: Buy some women’s magazines. No, really. Or at least some women’s Web sites.

One of the groups with whom Romney did worst was female “low-information voters.” Those are women who don’t really follow politics, and vote based on a vague sense of who’s mean and who’s nice, who’s cool and who’s uncool.

Since, by definition, they don’t pay much attention to political news, they get this sense from what they do read. And for many, that’s traditional women’s magazines — Redbook, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, the Ladies Home Journal, etc. — and the newer women’s sites like YourTango, The Frisky, Yahoo! Shine, and the like.

The thing is, those magazines and Web sites see themselves, pretty consciously, as a propaganda arm of the Democratic Party. So while nine out of 10 articles may be the usual stuff on sex, diet and shopping, the 10th will always be either soft p.r. for the Democrats or soft — or sometimes not-so-soft — hits on Republicans.

When a flier about getting away with rape was found in a college men’s bathroom, the women’s site YourTango (“Your Best Love Life”) led with the fact that the college was Paul Ryan’s alma materin a transparent effort to advance the Democrats’ War on Women claim that Republicans are somehow pro-rape. A companion article was “12 Hot Older Men Who Endorse President Obama.”

Similar p.r. abounded across the board: Sandra Fluke is a hero; Sarah Palin is a zero. Republicans are all old white men (women or minority Republicans get mocked or ignored).

This kind of thing adds up, especially among low-information voters. They may not know or care much about the specifics, but this theme, repeated over and over again, sends a message: Democrats are cool, and Republicans are uncool — and if you vote for them, you’re uncool, too.

This isn’t a bad idea for the deep-pocketed business leaders who sunk a lot of money in the election — and not just the general election, but the primaries as well.  Not only would that help push a more conservative point of view to consumers who are less connected to politics, these media outlets make money, too, which conservatives don’t mind when choosing investments.  At the very least, we can be sure that this won’t hurt, and it at least addresses the dynamic seen in the last election.

In general, Glenn’s argument goes along with a point Andrew Breitbart used to emphasize, which is that culture informs politics, and not the other way around.  Conservatives have to engage in the cultural as well as political sphere, even though the entertainment culture — which is the dominant culture in America these days — is tilted against conservative values and principles.  Perhaps conservatives have to engage especially because of that tilt.  And it would help to have some footholds in that arena when attempting to engage there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So no, tech community as an entity is decidedly not a monolithic democratic voting block. Far from it, actually.

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

They are

Google 97%
Apple 91%
Amazon 84%
Microsoft 81%
IBM 77%
Intel 64%

sauldalinsky on December 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I admire your optimism, but I think it’s foolhardy to still diminish the traditional media’s influence. They still drive a lot of the story lines that can either make or break a politician. There is no way Obama would have survived reelection with his record and even an even-handed press.

I’m a little more pessimistic about our outlook. We’re fighting tooth and nail to hold down formerly reliable GOP states…and losing. The only silver lining is the fact that Democrats are inherently lazy and don’t turn out in midterms, but I think the numbers will eventually catch up with us there too.

I live in Northern VA, look around and see the changing demographics – the people canceling my vote. Many of them are wearing hijabs, are low-income Hispanics or young people with Obama stickers stuck all over their cars. All of them vote Democrat, and I can tell you that none of them care a whit the Constitution except by what new rights can be teased out of old language. They only care that they can get theirs. You think we’re ever going to win them over? No way.

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Buy teen and youth magazines. How about MTV (LOL) and let cool libertarians (of the conservative type) run it or Nickelodeon.

Although the print media is dying, the women’s magazines do have important trademarked names that have influence and have (or can have) internet websites.

What you cannot buy, our side will have to create. For example movie studios. In the end we will have to use a combination of buyouts, boycotts, and propaganda to win. The campaign season will have to be all the time if we want to compete, because that is what Obama and democrats do now.

Simply buying up advertising time, having campaign events, money and GOV is not enough. This is a war of propaganda and information. You can’t win if you can’t get the truth to the people.

William Eaton on December 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I read Southern Living. That doesn’t mean I don’t read the Proceedings of the Royal Society.

I read street signs too.

SparkPlug on December 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Reagan didn’t have to fight a media that was a radicalized as it is today. There were still journalists who loved this country in the MSM then. Now not so much.

Iblis on December 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

So True. Reagan would have been dismissed as old timey Ozzie Nelson, and wpouldn’t have made it through the primaries. People don’t really grasp the degenerative culture the media has created and how it controls the thought process of mainstream America. Just watch any “man in the street” interviews. Stuid has become the new American passtime.

And as another 9-10 million seniors pass away in the next 4 years, the media’s job to brainwash and indoctrinate just gets easier and easier.
Their truth becomes the reality….like Kardashians, snookie and honey boo boo.

Ain’t that America……….

FlaMurph on December 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Well, I know the change of demographics can be intimidating for a lot of conservatives. For my part, I try to think of changing minds – one person at a time. I volunteer for after school teaching programs, for science show fairs, and other activities that bring in a lot of young people across the demographic spectrum. I have not seen many of them being intransigent to reason, in fact most of them do appreciate the benefits of a rational argument over feelings once you demonstrate to them what they are assuming. In fact, it is in this assimilation of demographics do I see added value – because it gives more avenues for the rugged individualism that has made us great.

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

All this from reading words on a screen. You don’t know me.

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

The good old, “you don’t know me” as a response to me telling you to prove me wrong, yet you continue to believe I don’t, like someone like you is sooooo mysterious? Stupid liar.

The fact that this is a serious post is a lagging indicator of where you hateful bores are heading.

Priceless stuff.

tommyhawk Probably Patrick Moran on December 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Yes, Patrick, you are less hateful and boring than those you attack here!

This particular case of projection is priceless, and cannot be topped! ROFL@you! :D

Anti-Control on December 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Exactly.

Actually, I would say all Obama voters are “low information” voters, because they get their information from Democratic propaganda outlets.

Control the propaganda outlets and you control the election outcome.

It’s that simple.

Stepan on December 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

This is actually the only way to combat the public school propaganda they are fed before they are shipped to colleges where they receive advanced indoctrination.

BTW, I’ve started using a new line with my “friends” that are Obama voters: “You know, it’s not really that cool to be monumentally stupid.”

goflyers on December 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Sorry, I was out partaking in some capitalism. There is no reason for lostmotherland (where is said lost land?) and I to hold hands, I’m not the least bet annoyed or insulted by his/her remarks. I will point out that my remark about drum circles did not question his/her intelligence, unlike his/her continued references to the fact that my enjoying Southern Living was blanket proof of ignorance. Hence, my remark on presumption.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Control the propaganda outlets and you control the election outcome.

It’s that simple.

Stepan on December 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

That only works where half the electorate are lazy … oh, wait . . . . .

listens2glenn on December 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

IlikedAUH2O on December 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

And my point is that as much as the public hated what those goofy old white guys said, they may be equally dismayed by things the Democrats do and say, if only they were informed. Sorry I was so unclear. Must be the Southern Living.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Not at all. Just indicative of a certain, erm, Southern mindset. But really Mrs Munford, you started the snark with an unnecessary snark about drum circles. Anyone would think I had dreadlocks.

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I assume you are up front about volunteering this info–that you use after school programs and science fairs as opportunities to politically proselytize children–to the adults who invite you to these events?

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Must be the Southern Living.

Shouldn’t y’all be frying up something hearty in the kitchen? ;)

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I think you are on to something about our country’s education. How careful to do you have to be when discussing rugged individualism? I am from the olden days when teachers would have considered it unprofessional to discuss either their personal lives and their personal beliefs, so I tend to have problems with either side promoting their views since it may be counter to the student’s parents’ desires.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I read street signs too.

SparkPlug on December 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

The last JAMA was pretty exciting. You see “Lixivaptan for Hyponatremia — The Numbers Game”?

But, to tell the truth, it didn’t make me want to have sex the way that the maze on the back of Cocoa Pebbles does. I guess you just get different things from different reading.

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

What’s wrong with dreadlocks? Or drum circles My son’s the one without the shirt.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Sorry I was so unclear. Must be the Southern Living.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

You can’t make people smarter, excellent Cindy Munford. :) Some people have three firing cylinders, and that’s all they ever get to use.

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

IlikedAUH2O on December 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Southern Living ? !

What are you, … a real, genuine person?

listens2glenn on December 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Probably.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I love you guys!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

or…….it could be that America just does not care.

Maybe it wouldn’t matter if we took over the media and the education system?

THAT is the nightmare scenario for Conservativism

PappyD61 on December 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I assume you have no problem with teachers abandoning their children to attend pro-union political rallies and assume that you think that when they come back they check their political partisanship at the classroom door, right? Well, they do except when they’re not teaching children chants and songs like I see everywhere in YouTube videos, right?

As I said, fascists…

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I love you guys!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

lol — ditto, metal-head. :)

\m/

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Iblis on December 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Don’t kid yourself. The media loathed Reagan with every fiber of their being. They were openly rooting for Gorbachev every time Reagain negotiated with him. They called him everything they could. The only reason they started calling him a Teflon president was that the public finally decided to ignore their constant attacks. Then they whined about that until Reagan was gone.

Don’t take my word for it. Go to Media Matters and look at some of the stuff from the 80s. They hated Reagan.

tom on December 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

\m/

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Very clever.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

watertown on December 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

So your koran is better. Huh ! !

Texyank on December 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM

There’s nothing conservative about capitalism. Capitalism is a liberalising, even radicalising, force.

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Capitalism is nothing more than respect for property rights. Sounds pretty basic and conservative. Now, progressivism doesn’t appear at first to directly attack property rights, but it’s constantly ignoring property rights to force some new government program. Whether it’s forcing a huge part of California to become a dust bowl, or taking tax money from people who work and giving it to politically blessed minorities, or passing extensive regulations that make it difficult to do what you want with your own property, progressivism essentially views the property of people as what the government allows people to keep, rather than as their own.

You hear it every day from the White House “pay your ‘fair share.’” And who gets to decide that fair share? Well, if the property really belongs to you, then you do. But the whole point is that the government wants to decide that for you. So who does the property really belong to?

The resounding drum beat of progressivism (“drum circle” is richly ironic) is to tell people that what they have doesn’t belong to them unless the government decides to let them keep it. And I’m not just talking about possessions, either. Progressivism wants the government to make decisions for your children, also.

For all the whining progressives do about “greedy” capitalists, the fact of the matter is that most of those “selfish, greedy capitalists” have families that they love and provide for.

I’m about done with people talking about how “compassionate” they are, when the only money they provide for the poor is what they take from taxpayers. It’s easy to be generous with money that doesn’t come out of your own pocket.

tom on December 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Actually, that’s kind of funny – you made an assumption right there – that I need to politically proselytize young individuals in order to teach them about rugged individualism. All I teach them is how to think rationally, how to take an argument and analyze it in order to come to the right conclusion. You need to proselytize if you are biased about the outcome of that analysis – I am not. If their rational analysis of the nation’s financial woes lets them to conclude that they should vote for the liberals, I would be perfectly okay with that. I am against all kinds of dogmatic ideology, period.

Interestingly, most of these young individuals I met are very driven to create their own businesses one day – which gives me hope that the American dream is healthy, happy and very much alive, the reports of its death being greatly exaggerated.

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Well, as I responded to lostmotherland above, I really don’t promote any specific values. I merely teach them reason, how to make rational deductions from observable facts. My background in mathematics and computer sciences has given me insight into formal structured reasoning, and that in my view is the best weapon against blind acceptance of views (from either spectrum). As long as the voting public is sufficiently informed and educated in logical thinking, they will make good decisions (whether everyone would be happy with those decisions is debatable – but at least it would be a meaningful healthy debate). Hope that helps.

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM

1) Get rid of conservative myths like those associated with Ronald Reagan, who ran on a platform of cutting taxes and preventing withholding in his platform for Governor in California but once elected raised taxes tremendously and by 1970 was submitting a tax plan that included withholding. He mostly raised taxes as president after 1983, as well, sometimes in a more stealthy manner by eliminating deductions. And instead of putting conservatives on his staff put mostly Bushites.

Falcon46 on December 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

A tiresome myth that I usually hear from Ron Paul voters. He was president, not Superman. He had to work through a Democratic Congress, and what he managed to accomplish in spite of them was very impressive. Sure, I can hang back and talk about what he should have done as if all he had to do was wave his hands and it would happen.

But everything Reagan accomplished was against a Democratic House that promised to cut spending in exchange for minor tax hikes, then refused, and against a media that absolutely loathed everything he stood for.

And yet, when he came into office the top tax rate was 70%, and when he left it was 28%. When he came into office, we were losing the Cold War, and when he left we were winning it, so much so that it was all over a few years later. When he came into office, the economy was horrible, and when he left, it was strong and expanding. And while he was unable to lower deficits as he wanted, he was able to put the economy on a growth path that led to a balanced budget just a few years later. Which was just exactly what he said about the deficit, “We’ll grow our way out of it.”

No, he wasn’t perfect. Just head and shoulders above any other president we’ve had for the last generation.

tom on December 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ah Yes. I did peruse that article which piqued my pinterest.

I quickly formed the conjecture that Hyponatremia might be strongly correlated with incidents of UFO sightings in the American Southwest.

So adamantly do I adhere to this conviction that I have invested heavily in companies which mine salt for the masses.

SparkPlug on December 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yes, thanks. Of course math and science don’t lend themselves as much to propaganda as other subjects do but having a strong base education is so very very important. It seems a lot more valid for a person to have views that are based on their life experiences than because some teacher told them what to think or because their families have voted one party or the other for years.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

peter_griffin on December 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM

lostmotherland is projecting. It’s progressivism that tries to frame every issue by redefining words. It’s just like newspeak, where you don’t talk about same-sex marriage, but “marriage equality,” and you’re always careful to refer to an unborn child as a “fetus” to dehumanize them. In fact, liberalspeak is just another word for political correctness. Because if you don’t control the message just so, people might actually think about the truth. And that way lies political heresy. Maybe even voting for a Republican.

tom on December 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

and science

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

er

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

*Nevermind. :) I don’t have the energy to field the green trolls.

Please un-throw that gauntlet.

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Maybe Republicans should buy media outlets rather than donate to super-PACs

Yes yes and yes.

rodguy911 on December 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

From the Chris Matthews thread –

You know what we really could use around here. How about a national campaign to remind America that we are in fact Americans!
In America we have this thing called “freedom of speech.” Freedom to vote one’s conscience. To speak up and speak out regardless of your politics, religious views or positions!

Seriously! A national campaign to remind Americans that it is OK to disagree! You are not suppose to go to prison for your political position! You are not suppose to be assaulted because of your political positions or religious views!

If we don’t in a big way remind ourselves of this sacred right we are close to losing it!

JellyToast on December 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I like this idea. A lot. And I wonder … couldn’t a super-PAC like American Crossroads do something like this?

Syzygy on December 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I agree. Time to start taking over the levers of information in this country. Leftist media doesn’t even pretend to be neutral or unbiased anymore. They just simply ignore whatever they find inconvenient, including the complaints if bias.

NotCoach on December 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Remember, Lorien and my other kindred spirits here, as you gaze upon this living, breathing sex toy with specific intent … the money that it took to make this skank look the way she looks in that photo could have fed a family of 11 (her hillbilly, white trash cousins) for a month.

Jaibones on December 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM

lostmotherland on December 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Lets see… motherland… isn’t that what they called the former Soviet Union? Lost… hmmm… it doesn’t exist any more. I think I understand your former shattered and discounted worldview…

YES, capitalism, aka FREEDOM, IS a radical force.

Thank you for finally noticing comrade.

dominigan on December 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Axe on December 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Nobody bit.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

In other words, these are people who shouldn’t vote.

We REALLY need to kill the “get out the vote” madness. Absolutely no more teaching children that it’s their “duty” to vote. It’s their duty to BE INFORMED, and if they FAIL at that, then it’s their duty to NOT screw things up for everyone else. Teach them THAT.

CanofSand on December 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The Republicans (or really conservatives) buy quick ad spots about economics, spending, fiscal responsibility, budgeting, and small government as it relates to individual freedom. Put these on daytime television. Educate the stay-at-home folks, be they retirees, moms, or layabouts.

onlineanalyst on December 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I have been harping on this for years. There is a lot of wealth held by conservatives in this country. Why don’t conservatives and conservative institutions buy out some of the main stream media?

Rush Limbaugh could get his millions of listeners to buy stock in any one media outlet, until conservatives had control over it and it’s policies. Many people,each with only a small outlay of cash, could accomplish this.

scgas on December 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The only reason there are this many comments on this thread is beacuse of Megan Fox’s breasts.

There, I said it…

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Who?

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Who?

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

It was meant as humor.

Sorry, should have used a sarc tag…

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I know, I’m trying smoke out lorien1973, I miss him.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I know, I’m trying smoke out lorien1973, I miss him.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I agree.

Maybe we can work on this together ;-)

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Something like this needs to happen. With the MSM being nothing more than the communications arm of the democrat party and stenographers for the Obama regime, the vast apolitical, low information majority of Americans will continue to elect communists like Pelosi, Reid, and Obama to office. Yes, we also need to make sure that education becomes education rather than indoctrination; but the MSM is half the problem.

AZfederalist on December 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Sounds like nearly every female friend I have.

NoLeftTurn on December 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

ccrosby on December 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I think it’s up to the hosts, more girlie pictures.

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM

AZfederalist on December 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM

At least half. They ought to be ashamed but they aren’t.

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Print media is dead. The e-reader is the formal forum for speech and social media is the marketplace. Reynolds idea(s) are well off the pace at which trends run.

M240H on December 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

So true. While we’re just starting to think about playing catch-up in the old-style media, the dems are sending their messages direct to their voters on social media. I do think we need to go for tv and film, but there really needs to be a huge push into direct media.

I keep thinking of those commercials for UPS — “Brown” — with that actor and the cartoons on a whiteboard. Something like that would be so cool for conservative ideas.

Armorica on December 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Nice idea. I don’t want to throw cold water on it, but I have three letters for you to consider: F.C.C.

Add in one word and it becomes clearer: Obama’s F.C.C.

totherightofthem on December 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

This is a great idea.

John the Libertarian on December 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Please buy Rolling Stone and rescue Rock and Roll from the evil clutches of pop culture. It is a great idea.

Redstone357 on December 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM