The Obama admin wants you to know they’re here to help with mortgage payments

posted at 11:21 am on December 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The Obama administration is launching a brand-new public service announcement to tout Treasury and Housing & Urban Development‘s joint initiative to help progress “the Obama Administration’s broad strategy to help homeowners avoid foreclosure, stabilize the country’s housing market, and improve the nation’s economy.” Via Politico:

“While communities across the country are beginning to recover from an unprecedented housing crisis, too many families are still struggling with their mortgage payments and are unsure of where to turn for help,” said Treasury undersecretary for domestic finance Mary Miller in a statement. “Millions of homeowners have gotten help to avoid foreclosure since 2009. We want to make sure struggling homeowners know today that there are free government resources available to help homeowners avoid foreclosure.” …

The ad emphasizes an Obama administration housing initiative called the Making Home Affordable Program that allows homeowners a way to lower their monthly payments, avoid foreclosure or temporarily suspend their mortgage payments.

“Making home affordable is a free government program.” Is that a huge, glaring red flag for anybody else? I realize that these are tough times and there are many people undergoing real material hardship, but remember what happened when decades of the federal government’s meddling in the housing market came to a head, just a few years ago? I believe we call that little ol’ occurrence, the financial meltdown. The feds’ housing-policy apparatuses are already in dire straits, and as much as Obama just loves to talk about ‘not going back to the same policies that got us here in the first place,’ he is remarkably committed to furthering the government’s self-imposed role in providing politically-edged financial services that the private sector is much better at administering.

But that is not the whole story.  Chapter 2 of the story is the “affordable housing” policies going back many years, spawned by liberals and progressives.  These increasingly extreme and unbalanced policies began the housing bubble even before the Fed’s miscalculations starting in 2001.  Moreover, because of these affordable housing policies, when the bubble burst, and housing prices stopped rising and started deep declines, the resulting damage was far worse. …

The big problem wasn’t caused just by loans to low income borrowers.  The problem was that once lending standards were trashed for these borrowers, they couldn’t be maintained for more creditworthy borrowers.  This let more well-heeled speculators in on the scam, now able to qualify for highly speculative mortgages they could not have qualified for previously.  That vastly expanded the resulting credit risk vulnerabilities for the financial system, and vastly pumped up the housing bubble far more.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t this the same plan they’ve been pushing for nearly 4 years?

Doughboy on December 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

No come on… government intervention in housing market worked out so well the first time, I’m sure there’s no way that people can game this shell system…

Washington Fancy on December 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Apparently we aren’t taxed enough already. Because that’s always the result of government help.

platypus on December 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Is that the number you call when you’re afraid the economy is committing suicide?

Washington Fancy on December 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Where are they getting the money from to pay for this?

haw haw haw…

tom daschle concerned on December 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Super, thanks you guys for paying my mortgage, I have a few extra bucks (actually a lot of extra bucks) to go out drinking now.

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Wow … that’s great! Government intrusion into markets always results in good things happening!

Yay!!!!!

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Going to youtube just to downvote.

Is that racist??

Kamccand on December 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

…plus, I don’t have to spend my time looking for a job anymore…thanks again.

P.S. Keep working I am depending on you…

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Where are they getting the money from to pay for this?

haw haw haw…

tom daschle concerned on December 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Duh … the government can print as much as it needs.

- Enlightened liberal

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I’m pretty sure your opposition to this is racist.

tom daschle concerned on December 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Two of my co-workers voted for Obama because he saved them from foreclosure. >.>

VibrioCocci on December 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Well then, how about the newest proposed government scam, adjusting people’s credit scores based on their race and their history of discrimination rather than whether they pay their bills on time or not? Lenders will then have no idea at all who is credit worthy and who is not. They will never quit coming up with schemes that hurt the long term housing market.

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Republicans REALLY need to counter this trend! This is a war for the heart and soul of this country. Rasmussens’ latest polling result is so disturbing on so many levels.

mountainaires on December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Is it too late to blame Bush?

Oxymoron on December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, this road is starting to look eerily familiar.
Do we believe they are this stupid? I don’t.

I think the real purpose is to create a dependence on government. If they are doling out the goodies with Obamacare, or housing assistance, or food stamps, they are the ones with power. They can grant a waiver, or hand out government cash making them Lord Bountiful. Even if the people they are laughably “helping” are objectively worse off, it is a positive gain for the power-mongers in government.

sharrukin on December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

“I realize that these are tough times and there are many people undergoing real material hardship, but . . .”

Typical conservative.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Making Work Pay
Making Home Affordable

Orwellian.

Meanwhile 222 Trillion in unfunded liabilities and a 1.5 quadrillion derivatives bubble are out there…

There aren’t enough humans that can work enough hours at any labor rate that can ever pay any of this stuff off. The price is going to be paid in land acquisition, forced labor, or blood.

Or all of the above.

tom daschle concerned on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

*$&%(*&#&*^*#&^$*^!!!!!

Here my stupid butt bought a house that I could even afford the payments on UI.

This is what ticks me off. I knew what I could afford, what I could afford if by chance I lost my job and had to live on UI for a while…sure might lose the Cable and some other “perks” but we could eat and heat the home along with make the payments.

watertown on December 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Isn’t this the same plan they’ve been pushing for nearly 4 years?

Doughboy on December 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yeah, this is the same smoke’n’mirrors piece of crap they pushed out after the first immaculation which didn’t help anybody then and hasn’t helped anybody since. Is it retroactive this time and will they pay mortgages for people who’ve lost their homes in the past 4 years? Doubt it.

stukinIL4now on December 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Life is just gettin’ so easy here in the good old USA.

DaveDief on December 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

So, Peggy Joseph was right?

Fallon on December 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

sharrukin on December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

It doesn’t matter whether the people are better or worse off, what matters is whether it’s more faaaairrrr.

The Schaef on December 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Typical conservative.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

^^^ typical communist.

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

So are they going to pay people’s rent too?

gophergirl on December 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I noticed that the one actor in the video who actually called the gubmint for a bailout was a BLACK FEMALE. Oops, now I’m a racist and a sexist!

Galtian on December 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Typical conservative.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Heartless conservatives should overlook the folks who spent beyond their means (credit cards, cars, homes), no matter the expense.

Your motherland is proud of you, comrade.

VibrioCocci on December 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

When the ‘program’ starts costing more as it inevitably will, how will government pay? The fastest would be a surcharge to the mortgages of those not qualified for the ‘aid’. Since renters won’t qualify, either, why not charge them a rent surtax, too? After all, if they can afford their homes, who are they to deny housing to those who can’t?

Liam on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Nice stereotype. Are they all black too?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Oh, and if this was a corporation. Why, of course. How much you need?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Schaef on December 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Fair is just a rhetorical weapon they use to get what they want. Like Feminists don’t care about women, unions don’t care about workers, and teachers don’t care about education. They are just tools to be used in the struggle. They will say anything and change their views in a heartbeat if it suits their agenda. GITMO is an obvious example.

sharrukin on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

First of all…I am torn about this…look at it this way.

If you had an investor, and you hired him to watch our money and he “pissed” away your money you would go after him…or if you hired a contractor, you moved into your house and almost immediately the foundation shifted, cracks in the wall, leaking roof, you would go after him.

We hired politicians to maintain our economy, to keep us “safe”, but they, like the bad contractor, ruined the economy, ruined the chance to live “safely”. So shouldn’t they be held liable? The “company” they work for be held liable.

Many people bought a house they could afford, in a normal average economy…but the politicians built a faulty economy, the foundation shifted, we were sold a bill of goods. The gov. is more than partly to blame…so why should the “people” be expected to pay individually for who we “hired”?

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Since you are here, could you please explain to everyone what your ideas are on how to pay for all this?

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

What mind numbing insanity, the housing market does not dictate the national economy, it merely reflects the health of the national economy. The housing market does not produce wealth for the nation, it grows when the nations economy is thriving. It is what is known as a lagging indicator of the economy, not a driving force of the economy.

The Obamanation that makes Desolate Administration has killed all of the industries that drive the economy, shoring up the housing market will further accelerate the rate at which the economy collapses.

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Nice stereotype. Are they all black too?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

What a moron. Do you even know what a stereotype means?

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

So are they going to pay people’s rent too?

gophergirl on December 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Section 8, which can also be counted as income toward the purchase of a home!

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I’d love to hear that too, but I’m afraid “lostinfantasyland” can’t type beyond one sentence.

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

So, Peggy Joseph was right?

Fallon on December 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

That was my first thought…

ITguy on December 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The Obama admin wants you to know they’re here to help with mortgage payments

And your prostate.

Archivarix on December 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Great another government program destined for waste, fraud and abuse.

heretic on December 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Oh, and if this was a corporation. Why, of course. How much you need?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Ask comrade Obama. Under Obama the rich have gotten richer and everyone else poorer.

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Typical conservative.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

It’s a “Math” thing, you wouldn’t understand.

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Excellent point.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

What a moron. Do you even know what a stereotype means?

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Panasonic is a stereo type.
Bose is a stereo type.
Etc.

That’s probably where liberal ‘thinking’ is often rooted when they use the word.

Liam on December 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

This is where you are wrong. Not because it isn’t the truth but because the populace does not know this information. We on this blog and over at PJ Media and every other conservative blog know this as what happened. Everyone else thinks it was Bush’s tax cuts. The media perpetrated that lie over and over again.
When you ask a low information voter what caused the financial meltdown they will blame Bush and cite his taxcuts. Still to this day the lie permeates our society and we cannot seem to overcome it.
Even despite democrats fighting to keep the taxcuts for less than 250K they will not explain how this time they won’t cause the economic failure and the populace is too ignorant to ask the question or even make the connection.

theguardianii on December 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Then he’ll probably just go with the liberal standard, “I don’t have a plan, but I do know I don’t like yours.”

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Section 8, which can also be counted as income toward the purchase of a home!

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

It can – I had no idea.

Guess I learned something new today.

gophergirl on December 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I lost my job and my house has gone through foreclosure. I just got the notice that I am to be evicted next month. Both my wife and I are handicapped and have very little money. Do you know who’s problem that is? Mine. I don’t have an issue with the mortgage company. I couldn’t make the payments so they foreclosed. They are in business to make money, they are not a charity. I have supreme confidence that God will see us through this and I don’t believe the solution is to rely on the federal government to use taxpayer money to bail us out.
I know that this may seem hypocritical that I am on disability and I am against government handouts but my handicap is so severe I had no choice. I feel bad enough that I can’t work and have to rely on the government to pay me because I am disabled. I don’t think I could look at myself in the mirror if I also relied on them to provide me “free” housing. Just one man’s opinion.

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Math doesn’t have a heart. Peoople have hearts. Maybe the people taking out loans they couldn’t afford shoulda had more heart and said no to the loan.

apostic on December 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I hope and pray for the best for you.

VegasRick on December 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oh, and if this was a corporation. Why, of course. How much you need?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Conservatives are pro-market, not pro-corporation.

Which party is it again which bails out corporations and wastes tax payer money funding losing “ventures” run by campaign donors?

Which party does John Corzine belong to?

Which president just asked for corporate funding for his upcoming coronation?

If you don’t think Democrats are just as in bed with corporations – if not more – than Republicans then you are delusional.

gwelf on December 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

then you are delusional.

gwelf on December 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

ROTFLMAO… Understatement of the century…

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Nice stereotype. Are they all black too?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My co-workers are white females who shopped too much and bought homes at the top of the housing boom. They could, no, should have lost their homes due to their mistakes, but Uncle Sam saved them.

Your projection is showing. Maybe you should tuck it back under your pointy white hood.

VibrioCocci on December 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

How can we afford “public service announcements”? Who in the legislature is allotting funds for this? How do you draw the line between public service and propaganda?

michaelthomas on December 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I got a really good chuckle from this.

Tax the rich……. Just wow

That is all

nchammer on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

JUST DO IT.

Find your cojones, Boehner.

JUST DO IT. Job One is refusing to give Obama cover by negotiating in secret; you can start by announcing that fact. Job Two:

mountainaires on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

What a moron. Do you even know what a stereotype means?

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

lostbraincells is your stereotypical product of public education, where students are actually taught to “get the meaning of words from the context where they are used.” Like this one, I doubt most gov’t skool participants today have ever seen the inside of a dictionary.

Harbingeing on December 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The MAJORITY of American’s know, because the media tells them so, that the financial and housing crisis was Bush’s fault. “He eliminated regulations and let Wall Street run wild.”

And if anyone here thinks that the MAJORITY of American’s will ever know otherwise, then they are fools.

Oh, and if anyone forgot, the MAJORITY of American’s want their free crap, too. So be fair about it and hand it over.

Carnac on December 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I hope and pray for the best for you.
VegasRick on December 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Thank you. Your prayers are appreciated.

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Unlike you, I’m not wedded to the sad either/or party dysfunction. I prefer the Democrats (on the local level), but of course at the state and national level they’re just as beholden to corporate interests as your boys in the GOP boardroom. Of course. Spending beyond your means is a corporate stock-in-trade. But big companies get to write off bad financial decisions or get bailed out by the governement. Ordinary people not so much.

But guess which group you all kvetch about? “Free stiff” seems only to enter your lexicon when it’s applied to black people, brown people, poor people, and union members. Not Wall Street.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

‘stuff’

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

VibrioCocci on December 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

One of the secretaries (er, sorry… administrative assistants) in my group loves her some 0bamacare. Her husband has a long term medical condition that requires a lot of treatment, much of it experimental.

I wonder if she would still like 0bamacare if she understood that it’s a mandate and not “free” insurance provided by the government (not just yet, anyway). I’ll be asking her again in a couple of years how her insurance premiums were affected by the law, and if she still gets any experimental treatments at reduced rates from hospitals and doctors.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

lostbraincells

Clever.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Two of my co-workers voted for Obama because he saved them from foreclosure.

Most Wall Street CEOs voted for Romeny, even though Obama saved them from bankruptcy. Funny how that works.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM

You know, I am beginning to think the Mayans are spot on. The world will end in 9 days…

it’s just that, much like Keith Richards, it won’t have the awareness to simply lie down.

Droopy on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

UltimateBob

Who gets more in tax breaks? Your secretary friends or Wall Street?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I hope and pray for the best for you.

VegasRick on December 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Not hypocritical, it just means you still have a healthy amount of self-respect.

We cons have to remember this, there are people out there that have no other choice but to depend on government benefits, but they hate the dependence, and the destruction of your sense of self-worth that tends to come with that. They are a small minority of the takers though. Most of them are just playing the system for all they can get and we need to root out that fraud.

slickwillie2001 on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

This must be the ‘Provide Welfare Clause’ of the Constitution…

locomotivebreath1901 on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You forgot to mention gays and wymns parts. You are a real piece of work.

VegasRick on December 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

JUST DO IT.

Find your cojones, Boehner.

mountainaires on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It has been said that lawmaking is like sausage making – you don’t want to know how it’s made, just enjoy the final product.

Well, the rotten “sausage” that Uncle Sam is pumping out has been making all of us sick. It’s time to shed some light on the process so people can see all the rat droppings, dead mice, etc that are being sold to us as food.

Make the discussions public or don’t have them at all.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Why is the woman at 0:30 paying to run in a race if she can’t pay her mortgage?

blammm on December 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ugh. The sanctimony makes me gag. Please sir, can I have some more? I promise to look in the mirror and hate myself and read Ayn rand every night before my supper.

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You whine about stereotypes but operate SOLELY OF OF THEM.

You are a clown.

tom daschle concerned on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Why is the woman at 0:30 paying to run in a race if she can’t pay her mortgage?

blammm on December 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Shut up… That’s why… /s

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Who gets more in tax breaks? Your secretary friends or Wall Street?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Wall Street bankers pay more in taxes than a part time secretary making under $40,000 a year.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Find your cojones, Boehner.

mountainaires on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Conundrum.

Carnac on December 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

It is hypocritical. Thank God for “handouts” eh? What would become of you in Ayn Rand’s world?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I have friends, who aren’t millionaires, who pay more in taxes each year that that secretary making $40,000.00 a year earns in a year.

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

And while the higher wage earners pay more $$$ in taxes at all levels, they are probably less likely to use government services than that secretary. Is that fair? Maybe in lostmotherland’s world.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

He is disabled. We have no problem helping people who need help. Why is that so hard for you to understand? That is why conservatives are so far ahead of liberals when it comes to charitable giving. We spend our own money to help people, and the only money you people are willing to spend is other people’s money. You do not hold the moral high ground on this issue.

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

None of my upper middle class friends (people who earn under $200,000.00 a year) make use of any government services that they are not forced to, (i.e. Police, Fire, highway) They pay their own way, ask for nothing that they cannot earn and are generally very responsible people.

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Where’s my ‘free’ government money for being a taxpayer that’s a) not only always paid my mortgage, but b) apparently been helping other people pay theirs for quite awhile now, too?

Midas on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Look if you can’t afford your mortgage, everyone else will pay for it. You’ve got a nice house – it’s not your fault it cost far more than you have.

And btw, here’s an Obamaphone.

Make sure you vote left.

CorporatePiggy on December 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Midas on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well don’t pay it off any time soon. I heard on the radio yesterday that the IRS may start considering the difference between what you pay on your mortgage and what the property could rent for, imputed income to you for not renting it, and as such, taxable income!

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hey lostmotherland, I would be happy to work. So, when do I start at your business and what job will you give me? How much is the pay? What are the medical benefits? It’s pretty easy to snipe at people behind the security of your computer screen when you have no idea what my handicap entails. I worked and paid taxes for forty years to earn my “handout”. If I could find any employer who would be willing to hire me despite my disabilities, I would be working. Next time, try walking a mile in my shoes before you open your mouth and show the world your ignorance.

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM

michaelthomas on December 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I’ve been hearing a *crapload* of “this ad brought to you by so-and-so and The Ad Council” spots on the radio lately, too.

One even is focused on native Americans. I live in Dallas, so am not sure why they’re targeting this area, but it seems a blanket coverage thing – ads promoting kids getting out to see the forest, etc.

And here’s me thinking the feds were having a deficit problem – they sure seem to still have a big advertising budget. Maybe they’re afraid if they don’t get it spent by year-end, it won’t be renewed in next year’s budget. Wait, lol – they’ve been operating without a budget, so…

Midas on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You are wrong…the problem is with your attitude, if the politicians had done their job, did what they were supposed to do, we wouldn’t be in this horrible economic slump…like I stated above, if a contractor built a shoddy home, you would go after them to rebuild and you would reclaim some of your lost money…so it goes when a “economic” builder ruins the economy, we have to pay for their transgressions.

Many people lost their jobs because of poor gov. policy…they don’t get of with a free pass…and we don’t get off because we voted for them.

The increase in lost jobs, lost mortgages is directly related to poor management, poor planning, poor building…you are a victim in this case, not part of the problem.

You need assistance, and it should be given to you…not to everyone, but everyone who has been affected by these horrible policies…and I don’t meant he welfare kings and queens.

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

That is me and mine, we make about 150 and ask for nothing while paying my moms rent, help all of my children when they need it and giving to charity (Wounded Warriors and Make-a-Wish) Oh and we pay a ton in taxes. The lostlands of this world would love to take more of what we earn and give it to whom they choose (probably themselves in most cases).

VegasRick on December 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Night Owl on December 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

We have all the money we would ever need to help the “least among us”, if we purge the rolls of the “takers”…you are right, our society is a giving/supportive society, but it is being abused, and that harms the ones that need the assistance. It also makes those a target because they get lumped in with the parasites.

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

obama loves freeloaders.

Pork-Chop on December 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Who gets more in tax breaks? Your secretary friends or Wall Street?

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Pal, not being “taxed” or having tax breaks is not a crime…it’s a crime to take too many taxes, it’s a crime to charge someone to live in a free society. Any “tax break” is not some kind of gift, it’s what should be sought after by every politician…lesson the tax burden on the people.

We are paying more than the serfs paid when ruled by a King…they only paid 25% of their income.

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Yeah, everyone here were so excited about the GM bailout.

And one correction, “Free stuff” is what taxpayers pay for. “Free stiff” is what goes up your a$$ during your leather parties.

NapaConservative on December 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

right2bright on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I agree 100%. My comments were directed more at the people who are taking advantage of the system. There are definitely people out there who need and deserve our help. As far as my attitude, your not telling me anything my wife hasn’t told me. I’m old school and I have a really hard time asking anyone for help. I like receiving presents, but there is nothing like the feeling you get when you accomplish something on your own.

bandutski on December 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You are one thoroughly confused person. Democrats at the local level are even more corrupt than the ones at the national level … yet you continue to vote democrat.

Do you know what creates lobbyists and crony capitalism? Regulation. The more power government has over business, the more business tries to curry favor from government … whether it’s to lessen the impact of regulation or pass laws favorable to business. If government would stay out of the market corruption would disappear. You cannot corrupt someone who has no power over you.

Now what party is always trying to pass more and more regulation controlling business? Yeah … it’s not Republicans.

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Progressive dream come true…….

They would like everyone to be so indebted to / dependent on them that they are slaves in everything but actual label.

Same old rule the world chorus, different singers.

get out of debt!!!

PappyD61 on December 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM

The new CRA…FEMA…and a free phone with HS internet…it’s all free!

d1carter on December 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Why has no one in either party offered a national sales tax (to replace the income tax, not supplement it)?

Answer: Can’t have class warfare without an income tax, and that means politicians would have to campaign on merit, not rhetoric.

A physical impossibility.

BobMbx on December 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

lostmotherland on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Wall Street free stuff is the bribe by liberals to bankers and such in order to get them to hand out other “free stuff”, like no-doc loans, principal reduction, promises not to foreclose, etc., all designed to “help level the playing field”.

BTW, when Obama says “level the playing field”, and “a fair shot”, who is he talking to or about? Your typical white person? A middle class family of 4? Or black people, brown people, poor people, and union members?

BobMbx on December 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

To paraphrase Barney Frank, evidently Barry is ‘still blinded by ideology’.

GarandFan on December 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

darwin on December 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Exactly.

“Thats a nice business you got there….be a shame if we had to regulate it even more”

(For Sci-Fi fans)
“I am altering the deal…pray I don’t alter it further”

BobMbx on December 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM