Video: “Man of Steel” trailer

posted at 8:41 pm on December 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

I posted the teaser trailers in July, found them interesting at the time, and find this interesting now. Ace thinks it’s too melancholy and self-serious for a Superman flick; I think melancholy and self-serious are the only places left to go. It’s a worthy narrative challenge to take a character as thin as Superman and try to give him a convincing inner life. It might fail for the reasons Ace gives — movies that are as ostentatiously “brooding” as this appears to be are usually a hard slog — but if Hollywood’s going to feed us an endless diet of superhero-reboot gruel, a little spice tonally goes a long way. In all likelihood, most of us will walk out of the theater wanting to punch emo Superman in the face, but maybe not. And even if we do, I’d rather they try something different and fail than recycle the usual fantasy/adventure touch-of-whimsy.

Besides, would another whimsical Superman movie feel right for the times? If comic-book characters are now the chief vehicle for the movie industry to comment on America and the zeitgeist, then Superman should be grim and forlorn. And totally, totally broke.

Comments

Hollywood has become as bereft of new ideas or approaches as their Light Bearer in Chief.

TXUS on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Hollywood shouldn’t be receiving one dime from anyone here.

Unless you like to cook for the cannibal preparing to eat you.

tom daschle concerned on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

When will HA do a blog on the probably republican/conservative gunman who shot up innocent people in Oregon…. probably because Romney lost. So sad

HotAirLib on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

It’s clear watching this that Superman represents Obama.

-Chrissy Matthews.

Kataklysmic on December 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Superman should be grim and forlorn. And totally, totally broke.

Dude he feels our pain, can we get him on a ticket in 2016?

msmveritas on December 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It’s Superman, the man of constant existential crises and boxes of kleenex as he cries about how hard his life is.

Warner Todd Huston on December 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No thanks. Hollywho?

rightside on December 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Besides, would another whimsical Superman movie feel right for the times?

Give me a Superman that stands for all of the classical values of virtue and morality, with none of the post-modern self-doubt or angst. In other words, give me a Christopher Reeve performance with a better script and story.

It’s astounding that for a character that’s so simple — the paragon of greatness in both body and mind, that Hollywood seems so incapable of rising to the occassion. Then again, perhaps it is because they come up so short in the aspects which define his heroism that they struggle so badly in portraying Superman.

Stoic Patriot on December 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Maybe the remake of this that`ll come out next year will be better. :-P BTW, just saw The Dark Knight Rises last weekend……. Loved it. :)

ThePrez on December 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Ban it.

tom daschle concerned on December 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Honestly after watching 1, 2 (the Donner version) and Returns in the last two weeks I’ll just be glad that they move away from the heavy and completely unsubtle religious metaphors that Donner’s Superman brought and which just annoyed me while watching.

Betenoire on December 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Might as well make a movie about the Superman: Red Son storyline where Superman is raised in the Soviet Union and grows up “the champion of the common worker who fights a never ending battle for Stalin, socialism and the international expansion of the Warsaw Pact.”

catmman on December 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

HotAirLib on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Why you do not go and f*** yourself communist scum and go spread your lies on the communist forums where you belong…

mnjg on December 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Looks interesting. But could use a new and improved General Zod to fill out the cast.

Curtiss on December 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

First Oblahblah gets re-elected…

… and now another Superman movie.

Hat tip to our government schools…

Seven Percent Solution on December 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I will pay to watch it.. but only so I can spend 2 hours drooling over Henry Cavill. I can care less about Superman or Hollywood or politics these days.

lostinjrz on December 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Ugh, that music was annoying.

Dongemaharu on December 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Count Kent.

ronsfi on December 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

HotAirLib on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Please ban this POS already!

jawkneemusic on December 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Ugh, that music was annoying.

Dongemaharu on December 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Gladiator, redux. Worked in that movie, quite well, but you’d think they might come up with a different score at least. Going for the brooding moodie crowd, I suspect.

TXUS on December 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Nolan doesn’t seem to be a liberal and has no love for moral relativism, so this might be interesting. Snyder made one hell of a film with 300 which many lefties found offensive, sexist, and even racist.

This might work. I don’t know if Superman is the right character for a serious story, but we’ll see.

Daemonocracy on December 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Ugh, that music was annoying.

Dongemaharu on December 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The same chick that did Gladiator’s music, Lisa Gerrard. It’s a song called Elegy.

beatcanvas on December 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

If Hollywood ever does a remake of Mary Poppins, she will be a heroin-addicted ex-prostitute with a magical umbrella struggling to come to grips with the torment of her childhood sexual abuse, an oppressive corporate boss, Mr Banks, and a CIA plot to steal her umbrella technology for the military industrial complex, all the while trying to earn a living as a simple nanny in a household where she explores her new found sexuality with the seductive lady of the house, Mrs Banks.

Starring Megan Fox as Mary Poppins

rated NC-17

Riveting, bold, a new twist on an old classic!
-The New York Times

keep the change on December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Needs more Amy Adams in the trailer.

topdawg on December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

supermans a ptsd suffer?

thanks libs.

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Needs more Amy Adams in the trailer.

topdawg on December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Wearing the Emilia Airheart pants she wore in Night At The Museum 2.

John the Libertarian on December 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Curtiss on December 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I hear Dante’s available.

CurtZHP on December 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Curtiss on December 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ask and ye shall receive. Zod is in this movie and played by Michael Shannon(an unexpected, but inspired choice IMO). You only get a brief glimpse of him in this trailer though. He’s the dude with the Caesar haircut and the goatee at the 1:52 mark.

Doughboy on December 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

HotAirLib on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Yes, probably Republican/Conservative, just like James Holmes, Floyd Corkins, Jared Lee Loughner and Joe Stack.

On behalf of the people of Oregon, shut the hell up.

Sockpuppet Politic on December 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Maybe when the facts become known. Now sing Daisy you bedwetting little b a s t a r d.

Bmore on December 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Please ban this POS already!

jawkneemusic on December 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I banned HAL a long, long time ago.

TXUS on December 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM

TXUS on December 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Ah, yeah that’s what it reminded me of. But even by Gladiator, I was getting sick of it. And every sensitive epic has to sound the same since then. It just makes me think of Team America now. They probably don’t want to take any chances with a slightly original score on such a huge budget movie.

Dongemaharu on December 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Michael Shannon, from BoardWalk Jungle is playing General Zod,

narciso on December 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Can he fly without that cape?

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Super-Sad Man.

Jim Treacher on December 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Those who don’t like the music,

Keep in mind it’s probably a temp track for the trailer. The actual soundtrack probably wasn’t ready. It’s a common practice.

Karl on December 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Looks like a Redbox rental at best on a extremely slow weekend when I have to choose between clearing the area behind my fence or staying indoors during the winter.

Maybe….

Hog Wild on December 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Every time a movie trailer is posted at HA everyone turns into an 84 year old man, “GET OFF MY LAWN!”

I truly believe that if Superman were to come to Earth and reveal himself in this modern day, Obama would put him on a list and order a drone strike.

And Superman would forgive him.

nitzsche on December 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

HotAirLib

Somebody is in desperation CYA mode. Looks like one of you liberals took the “there will be blood” claim a little too seriously. Sheesh, punching innocent people on public property, and now this. Murder and violence…it’s the liberal way.

The better question is when are they going to ban you for being the lying liberal POS scumbag that you are?

xblade on December 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Meanwhile…seriously…another Superman reboot? Didn’t we just have one of those?

xblade on December 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I will go and see it at least twice in the theaters and twice on pay per view and then buy dvd when available.

I’ve read and probably bought every superman comic book since 1960.

What can I say. go supes

gerrym51 on December 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I Think this looks good..will be watching it for sure

sadsushi on December 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

This fangirl is totally going to be there.

Chris Nolan does Superman?

Awesome.

Meryl Yourish on December 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Nolan had very, very little to do with this.

Almost nothing, to be honest.

His brother and co-writer came up with the approach.

Nolan wanted his brother to direct.

WB said no.

Nolan, his brother and co-writer left the project. Their script was handed to Snyder and his wife.

Nolan is out of the superhero game, not by his choice, but by WB. He was garnering more project control than they wanted to relenquish.

budfox on December 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM

On the positive side, this does not look like another “Superman vs The Evil Real Estate Developer” movie.

Queasy on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM

HotAirLib on December 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Yeah, or a blog on the probable Union thug and tea party member who got violent with Crowder. You know how violent those Tea Party Union members are. Or the probably well informed voter who voted for Obama because he’s probably done a great job. Or maybe one on the probably intelligent smug, snarky troll who is probably a real wit (but may probably only be half right). Wait, I got it! A blog on a probable jackwagon liberal who probably won’t get over it probably anytime probably soon. Oh, and another on probable liberal halfwit who probably exercises it’s feeble mind by jumping to conclusions.

I love this probably’ stuff! It’s like fake but accurate speculation!

ghostwalker1 on December 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

In all likelihood, most of us will walk out of the theater wanting to punch emo Elmo Superman in the face

FIFY

Shy Guy on December 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

boring

V-rod on December 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I grew up watching all of the Christopher Reeves Superman films, so no matter how campy they got as they went on, to me he and the movies themselves set the bar. And while I was never a D.C. comic reader, I knew enough about the comic book Superman to know he wasn’t a brooder nor the series dark – until the “Death of Superman” stupidity… and that just proves the whole point. Superman isn’t a brooding character.

Enough with the reboots. Though, to be fair, reboots are nothing new in Hollywood. Jane Eyre was done in 1944, 1996 and 2011. King Kong: 1933, 1976, 2005. And those are just to name two. Of course, in the last three decade there seems to be a preponderance of rebooting of reboots and as with so many things, in an ever increasing fashion. I mean, really, already a reboot of the Spiderman movies?!

I haven’t seen the 2006 Superman movie, and probably won’t see this one either, so there’s that.

I just got to watch the Avengers movie this evening on video. I really liked that movie. Very well done – in spite of Samuel Jackson (blech). Robert Downey Jr., the overall acting and the writing made that movie. Just the right amount of humor, properly placed. I was unimpressed with the cinematics, but I guess it’s because the movie industry has progressed to such a degree that they’ve created a very high bar in that area. The scene where Hulk slams Loki around had me laughing to the point of waking my wife up.

Logus on December 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

nitzsche on December 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I sometimes wonder if that’s why AP posts them. lol

Murf76 on December 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

“Besides, would another whimsical Superman movie feel right for the times?”

Nonsense. 1978 was not a happy time for America, but Superman – The Movie was a joyful experience. Maybe Americans were a different breed then. But that is no excuse.

I´m not going to spend a dime on a maudlin “let me count the ways in which we suck” Superman movie.

If I want bleak, I´ll watch one of those awesome South Korean movies where everyone is dead at the end.

el gordo on December 12, 2012 at 5:17 AM

Great post!

And better than all that political stuff.

Politics in Amerika is not where it’s at.

Anarchy in the UK!!!

Sherman1864 on December 12, 2012 at 5:21 AM

will pop it in my netflix queue…

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Whenever Zack Snyder precisely follows every frame of a comic book, he’s done a good job at it.

The one time he tried to go his own way, the result was a celluloid abortion called Sucker Punch. It looks like audiences are in for another one of those.

logis on December 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Queasy on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM

hahahaha – ah come on, Gene Hackman did an awesome job! Best Lex Luthor ever. And yes 1978′s Superman the Movie was a good flick IMO.

This is a fascinating thread BTW — the different ways people see Superman esp w/ the theological or other overtones. Instead of commenting further I’ll just post this cool song from 1983 which has yet another take.

inviolet on December 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Stoic Patriot on December 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Amen. For a lot of us Gen-Xers, Reeve is the gold standard for Superman. Part of me says just give up on Superman movies in honor of Reeve’s memory.

Doughboy on December 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Terrence “KNEEL before ZOD!!!” Stamp will be a hard act to follow, but I can see Shannon doing well here. He’s my favorite actor on Boardwalk Empire.

Gene Hackman did an awesome job! Best Lex Luthor ever.

inviolet on December 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Yes! While I think Kevin Spacey is a decent actor, his Lex Luthor looked like he would crap his pants if he ever ran into Hackman’s Luthor.

Needs more Amy Adams in the trailer.

topdawg on December 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

We’ll have to see. While I’m so used to Margot Kidder as Lois Lane, I never found her all that attractive. I would take Annette O’Toole’s Lana Lang 10 times out of 10 over Kidder’s Lane. Still, I like Amy Adams and maybe she can pull this off.

Cautiously optimistic about the whole affair.

JimLennon on December 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Looks pretty depressing. So, is Superman a gay communist yet?

Pork-Chop on December 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

From the trailer, it appears that big red “S” could be replaced by a “Z,” as in ZZZzzzzz….

Captain Scarlet on December 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Dude he feels our pain, can we get him on a ticket in 2016?

msmveritas on December 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Don’t bother. I’m told by Newt Gingrich that Hillary has the 2016 election all sewn up already.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

David S. Goyer, who co-wrote the story with Chris Nolan and wrote the screenplay, is the guy who wrote the short story of Superman renouncing his US citizenship in Action Comics #900.

That “Maybe.” reply by Pa Kent to Clark’s question about letting his classmates die really bugs me.

RedRobin145 on December 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Superman is certainly as capable of self-reflection as anyone, and he’s probably right to be concerned about how humanity would respond to a super-powered alien. Hopefully it won’t get in the way of his basic desire to help. But the thing Hollywood never seemed to get (except in “Superman: The Movie”) was that Superman always stood for the best in America, and in humanity. Truth and justice. Those words are lost on today’s Hollywood (and in reality, today’s humans in general, I think). So this Superman seems quite in keeping with the times.

But IMO, the best Superman has to be the one in “Superman Vs. The Elite,” a Warner Brothers direct-to-DVD PG-13 cartoon. In this one, Superman finally decides to kill – apparently – after getting beat up by a super-powered group of humans that call themselves The Elite (after declaring that no one was above the law). No Mr. Nice Guy here. This was Supes channeling a bit of Batman, and it was refreshing.

“Man of Steel?” I might see it on DVD. I’ll save my money for “Star Trek Into Darkness,” thanks.

falcon on December 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Oh boy, another movie base on a comic book – what’s next, video game plots and Disneyland rides? How original.

Wyatt Wingfoot on December 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM

So far, I have seen NOTHING in these 2 trailers that makes me want to see this movie. No real action, no interesting villains, and no links to what made Supreman an American icon.

I am showing my age when I say this, but I miss the Christopher Reeve iteration dearly, though only from Superman the Movie (1978) & Superman II (1981). We need to get back to Truth, Justice, and the American Way. I don’t care if those principles somehow seem antiquated in modern times. These were the classic traits that defined Superman, traits that should remain constant.

As Agent Coulson said to Captain America in this year’s Avengers movie, “With everything that’s happening, things about to come to light, people might need a little ‘old fashioned.’”

OneVision on December 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM