Quotes of the day

posted at 10:39 pm on December 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Jimmy Hoffa, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, said Tuesday he expects Michigan unions and lawmakers to break out into “civil war” after the state legislature passed right-to-work bills that would weaken unions’ power.

“This is just the first round of a battle that’s going to divide this state. We’re going to have a civil war,” Hoffa said on CNN’s “Newsroom.”

***

“It’s disgraceful,” said Sue Brown, who said she’s not a union member but fears right-to-work laws would lower wages for all. “The unions and the UAW have created the middle class.”…

For all the shouting, the actual benefit or harm of such laws is not clear. Each camp has pointed to studies bolstering their claims, but one labor expert said the conclusions are inconclusive.

“Very little is actually known about the impact of right-to-work laws,” Gary Chaison, a professor of labor relations at Clark University in Massachusetts, said Monday. “There’s a lot of assumptions that they create or destroy jobs, but the correlation is not definite.”

***

“Michigan is making this move because it saw Indiana do it,” said Robert Sikkel, a labor expert in Grand Rapids, Mich. “They’re afraid businesses may move to Indiana. Other states are going to look at this too to see if it’s best for them.”

Though right to work laws have been around since the 1947 Taft-Hartley Act, the movement has been growing since Wisconsin fought a similar battle with unions over two years ago.

“More and more states are looking to improve their economies and become more attractive to businesses and this is seen as one step toward that,” Sikkel said.

***

Of course, the move is not just economic. It’s political, too. Democrats depend on millions — actually, billions — of dollars in support from the forced dues of union members. If that money supply were to dry up, or even just decrease, the Democratic Party would be in serious trouble.

Which is why President Obama just happened to discuss the situation during his campaign-style visit to the Daimler Detroit Diesel Plant in Redford, Mich., on Monday. “These so-called right-to-work laws don’t have anything to do with economics — they have everything to do with politics,” Obama said. “What they’re really talking about is giving you the right to work for less money.”…

For the right-to-work forces, what is happening in Michigan, like what happened in Wisconsin and Indiana before it, is the result of years of work against the system of union power and mandatory dues. It was a long time coming. “People always say this is a really tough battle, you can’t win,” says Mark Mix. Like the Berlin Wall, Mix says, the entrenched union structure sometimes looked unassailable. “Then one morning we woke up and guess what? We found out it wasn’t nearly as strong as we thought.”

***

It’s a tough choice, and I sympathize with the unions, but the fact is that in the global economy where you have to compete on wages and other elements, of the units of production, you can you either have, you know, high wages with low employment or you can, as Obama would say, spread around the wealth.

The fact is that in the right-to-work states, unemployment is 6.9%. And in the other stays the non-right-to-work, it’s 8.7. So you can choose to have fewer workers who enjoy higher, inflated, unnatural, if you like, wages, uncompetitive wages. Or you can have competitive wages and more people employed, more people with the dignity of a job and less unemployment, more taxation and more activity. I think it’s it the right choice but I understand how it’s a wrenching choice.

***

***

Via Legal Insurrection.

***

“I literally believe, Sean, that if I had defended myself at all, even flicked a small little jab, that they would have killed me where I stood. I have never seen this kind of angry, vitriolic hatred… I expected these people to actually tear me limb from limb. I knew I couldn’t take that.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Cindy Munford on December 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Ok.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I don’t agree. I believe this nation is tougher and more resilient than you seem to suggest.

Meanwhile…come here more often. Let your friends warm your heart and give you some camaraderie.

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Dunno…I think that our politicians will continue to do nothing except worry about their re-elections (R’s and D’s).

If nothing changes, we’ll have slavery of the common citizen in our future. (I don’t feel that this is hyperbole in the slightest.)

We don’t have too long.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Sorry, I can’t stick around, we have an appointment tomorrow and I have to get squared away. Talk to you soon.

Cindy Munford on December 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Gingotts on December 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Don’t worry. We’ll be hearing DAISY from HAL before it’s over. lol!

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Hi PatriotGal.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Freaked. :) Not grossed.

And I’m so sorry. You OK with it?

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

It would have been a surprise if I had been. Last time it took a medication I can’t take while still breastfeeding.

cptacek on December 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

cptacek on December 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Hi you are back. You just missed Cindy. She has lady parts. So does Jackie and Axe.

Opps not Axe.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

…you belng here…pissing at JugEars!

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Hey, Kool.

Did you notice that I called him Obama, not Odumbo (which has been his moniker for me since around March 2009). It’s kinda like the discontinuation of the OOTD–our imbecilic fellow citizens voted the doofus in again, so…

Don’t know if you listen to talk radio at all, but I’ll never listen to 97.1FM ever again, after today. They’ve always been liberal–while proclaiming to be middle-of-the-road–but, today was the end.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I am the passenger.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

It’s uncanny, but I read an article that expressed those very sentiments recently. It was written in 1949.

The pendulum swings, RedCrow. You’re seeing an example of it in Michigan right now. The Unions are screaming and fighting and behaving like…well… progressives… because they know it, too. They hit their peak in ’08. They barely won the last election, and they have no one to run in the next. Hillary won’t run. She’s not looking well, and Bill is fragile. He cannot endure the strain of a campaign and the White House. That’s why they’ve cut the deal for Chelsea to get into politics.

In any case, there are large chunks of the Democrat’s base that will not turn out for Hillary. Blacks, for instance, will not turn out in nearly those numbers. This is the pitfall of a base that has been encouraged to see themselves as race, ethnic, gender, age, marital status, and sexual orientation specific special interest groups, rather than as simply Americans who share anything, much less an ideology. Most of them don’t even understand what an ideology IS. They understand handouts and pandering. Hillary simply cannot weld them together.

This is also why Obama will not give them their wish list. IF he did, what would the Democratic Party have to get them to the polls at all? They must feel fearful and deprived, grieved, or they will not go vote. It’s the nature of such a base and those feelings have been cultivated and worked by the Democratic party mercilessly over the last 30 -40 years.

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Listen, grasshoppers.

All you have to do is give up trying to control those things over which you can have no control. Allow the world around you to answer to any real authority over it, and stop trying to be that authority. This will allow you to attend to those things that are actually yours to attend to, and to answer to any real authority over yourself, and in this way, direct your will within your power and without frustration.

As for changing the world — you might, if you’d like. You can write and mail, you can speak and type, and in this way give your ideas to other people (to other authorities in general; for example, you might pray). But what they do with them isn’t under your control.

It isn’t a matter of letting desires go. It’s just recognizing that one’s desires are not controlling authorities. But share them, and see the world change itself.

Selah.

Leg cramp. O I HATE LOTUS. Leg cramp! ARG

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Yes, indeed…and as for the cramp…walk it off. Breath and let the pain go. give up the body. You know the routine! lol!

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:08 AM

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Not falling for that again.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

What, fourth times not a charm?

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Eaten by your own monster.

Seed time and harvest is immutable. :)

Cool.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

:) Verily.

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

What, fourth times not a charm?

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

hahaha. Ouch.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

So I have to get up early to get to the slaughterhouse for ham hocks and beef tallow. They’re breaking down tomorrow and so gots to get the hocks and “tally” before they’re gone and take ‘em to my buddy to smoke ‘em and then got a huge harvest of collard greens to harvest Thursday to go with it!!!’

OT, I know.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Sorry, just stopped by to beg y’all to vote for my puppies. Basenji Rescue and Transport (BRAT) Garland, TX
You can vote on different browsers. THANK YOU!!!

Cindy Munford on December 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

*grumble*

I’m spending more time working with Cindy Munford’s puppies than I did my last girlfriend.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I loved the eloquence of your response. Very well written.

As to the substance, I’m not sure that I want to dig in too deeply. (Mostly because I hope to God that you’re right.)

But remember: Truth ain’t all that important these days. (Otherwise, how in the hell could Obama get re-elected?)

They made a great man–a God-fearing man who’s spent his life helping others AND getting rich at the same time–into an “evil rich guy.”

Etc., etc., etc…

Why should I (or YOU) feel that something different will happen four years from now?? (Unless 85% of the American public is destitute, by then.)

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I have LOTUS, too.

LOSER OF THE UNITED STATES

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

No, I HATE LOTUS!!!!

If I had LOTUS I would drown it before it got to the kids.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Collard greens and smoked ham hocks…

Y’ain’t lived ’til you had you some! :-)

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

OT, I know.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Most people don’t know how good that’s going to taste. But I do. Congratulations. :)

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

What, fourth times not a charm?

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

hahaha. Ouch.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hey, I just calls em like I sees em, an if I don’t sees em, I makes em up… ;p

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Skipping any other argument, this isn’t exactly out of the question.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

The American electorate has become cartoonish.

So next go ’round we run a bunch of ads with Barry E. Coyote. Running off fiscal cliffs, running into walls with painted-on tunnels, getting smashed flat by anvils…. etc.

If it were well done, the idiectorate may grasp a bit of it.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

If I had LOTUS I would drown it before it got to the kids.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Lol!
We twice elected a community organizer!
(Good thing I hid my nooses when I was drunk the other night.)

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Most people equate collard greens and other words they don’t understand with chitlins and other words they don’t understand.

More for us!!!!

Planted 200 sq ft of them, left town, put a timer on 20 minutes each morning, and they grew ‘emselves!!

And the rabbits didn’t chew. Otherwise I’d be having pre-stuffed rabbit with the remnants :D

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Hey, I just calls em like I sees em, an if I don’t sees em, I makes em up… ;p

SWalker on December 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Two, thank you.

That thing in Vegas — that — that was different. And who would have believed in transvestite twins, anyway? That could have happened to anyone.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Skipping any other argument, this isn’t exactly out of the question.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Lol. No, it’s not. But, I can’t hope for it!

If it were well done, the idiectorate may grasp a bit of it.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

He’d be re-elected again! (Damn the 22nd!!!!11!)

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

(Good thing I hid my nooses when I was drunk the other night.)

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

No, it would take silver bullets and stakes and garlic. LOTUS is sucking the blood out of our nation.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Oom boom bah beh.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

LOL! You’re gonna make lefties get the wrong idea! (Which they’re very ready to do!)

I meant the nooses for me!

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

RedCrow…hear me. 94 million eligible voters did not vote. Obama won by about 3 million votes.

When the pain of what he will do, what the progressives will do, ( READ: MIDDLE CLASS PAIN)sets in, many who voted for him with either stay home, or they will vote for responsibility. He will raise taxes, he already has… there are 20 tax hikes in Obamacare alone… for a total of about $650 Billion… 12 of those taxes are on the middle class to the tune of a full $500 Billion. These will hit in 2014 because the Democrats had to front load Obamacare in order to fudge the numbers enough to even PRETEND that it lowered costs. That’s just one example. You may recall that they were also talking about a VAT tax. Obama also once said that he’d like to see gasoline prices here in parity with the prices in Britain. They pay almost $9/gallon, most of it in government tax. This will inevitably raise food prices, too, since food has to be processed and transported in distribution.

Jimmy Carter embraced ‘energy saving’ measures ( 55 MPH speed limit) and drove up the price of gasoline by reducing energy production and putting money into ‘green technology’, too. Food prices soared along with inflation. There were lines to get gasoline…people could only buy gas on odd or even days, depending on the last digit of their license plate and lines stretched in some instances for miles. Prices shot up. There was a meat shortage. People ate something called ‘E burger’. It had 15 % soy added to it so that it would make minimum protein levels. Hamburger helper was invented about then. The government handed out 5 lb blocks of surplus cheese. The prime rate shot up and a mortgage loan with excellent credit started at 18%. Iran fell to the extremists and held our people hostage until the day Reagan was inaugurated.

We’ve seen this sideshow before. We endured and repaired the damage. We will again.

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Wondered where you went.

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

– is kinda nice.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Dying’s easy. It’s living ‘s hard.

Sometimes.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

However, when it happened before, it was Carter’s first term.

When it happens under 0bama – who was just elected to Carter’s never-seen second term, the electorate will be much more complicit in its own demise.

Let. It. Burn.

The more pain, the better. For the salvation of the nation’s soul, I actually am praying for another Depression. It’ll take that to reach the slothful, arrogant, soft, smug, self-worshiping cretins who just elected the 0bomination.

America as a whole is now deserving of divine castigation.

Bring it on. L.I.B.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Unchain My Heart – Cocker

Now, if you’ll all pardon me, I’ll bid you a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Thank you, Axe. Goodnight, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I meant the nooses for me!

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I should have read more carefully!

0bama is definitely from Transylvania, though. He’s old… old as sin itself.

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Thanks for the tunes!

You can leave your hat on ;-)

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Yep.

You’re spot-on about the VAT, too. (Be surprised if we don’t get it.)

Jackie, it boils down to a difference of opinion about the American electorate. You think they’ve got a modicum of brains, and I think they don’t.

(Hope you’re right.)

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Dying’s easy. It’s living ‘s hard.

Sometimes.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Axe:

Tell that to my F…..RT*U(I)$%^&*()_(*&^%$&^*()_(*&^%$#%^&*
$%&^*()_(&*^%$^&*()*&^%$%^&*()*&^%$

mouse,I finally found my old mouse,so,W00-Hoo….I’m back
in operation!!!!!!!!!!!!
==========================

Speaking of Dying…………..

It appears the US has placed all bets on the armed victory of the Syrian opposition over Assad, Russia’s foreign minister says – @Reuters

9 mins ago by editor

canopfor on December 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Someone who’s there.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Good Post. Excellent

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Thank you, Axe. Goodnight, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on December 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Night Jackie. :)

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

canopfor on December 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Linky machine is in full operation I see.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Ugh,its late,nothing like a 10 Hour …F…E$*(()*&^%&^* delay,

okay,I’ve done ranting……….

Nite Peeps!

Sorry about my KaBotched Mouse Soap Opera!

Ugh,okay Nite All—–:)

canopfor on December 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

‘K, It’s quarter to three in F-ing Detroit, land of the union goons. So, I’ll say goodnight. Nice talkin’ to y’all.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Yah, g’ night… turning in myself…. got to be the earlybird at the slaughterhouse!!!1

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Ugh,its late,nothing like a 10 Hour …F…E$*(()*&^%&^* delay,

okay,I’ve done ranting……….

Nite Peeps!

Sorry about my KaBotched Mouse Soap Opera!

Ugh,okay Nite All—–:)

canopfor on December 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

You don’t take equipment malfunctions well. :) Calm down, calm down — you got it covered.

Night Canada! Tomorrow will work better. Order a mouse though, first thing.

RedCrow on December 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Night Crow.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

cane_loader on December 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Night cane_loader.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

@SWalker

She’s a pretty brave little songwriter:

Just ran across it.

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Sorry if this has already been dealt with, but I couldn’t go past it.

It is entirely irrelevant whether it helps or hinders jobs! Freedom does not come with conditions!

OldEnglish on December 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

OldEnglish on December 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Feel like I’m repeating myself a lot. Anyone else? :)

I’ve been pounding something similar. It doesn’t matter if it’s a good idea; it doesn’t matter if we all agree it should be done, and everyone really, really wants to do it. There’s no money — we can’t have it. And so on. Anyway, you reminded me. :)

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Good Morning HA
12-12-12

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Good Morning HA
12-12-12

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM

I know where you’ve been. My going-to-bed rounds just overlapped your getting-up rounds. :) But you aren’t being stalked. *yawn* No energy.

Night night crew!

Morning, morning crew!

*poof*

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Axe on December 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Morning Axe

we’ll keep it going for ya :)

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM

the lsm defending the unions saying they protect the worker…they did their part 60 years ago…now we have all these regulations in place to protect the worker, your time is up…

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM

O/T: Obama thinks that Boehner will cave. My take.

kingsjester on December 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM

kingsjester on December 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Eeyore flag raised…

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I know, ma’am. It really stinks on ice, doesn’t it?

kingsjester on December 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM

kingsjester on December 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM

yepper….

going straight towards the iceberg

cmsinaz on December 12, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I don’t get this.

One would THINK that Hoffa, all unions, would welcome the freedom of individuals to be able to chose whether or not to join a union or not to.

Instead, they’re threatening if not engaging already in “war” against our society just because they, the unions, Hoffa, are being presented with their requirement to respect other people’s freedom of association.

Lourdes on December 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM

So go ahead and cave, I’ll be over here hoarding and refusing to vote upticket in 2014.

Bishop on December 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM

but Crowder supposedly said he’s pressing charges against the guy

He should also sue the union(s) that instigated this and didn’t try to control it. Corruption pays, these folks have DEEP pockets.

Hosanna on December 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM

UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL for ANY President to say!

Freedom of association, Mr. Obama-Che, it’s in the Constitution, that document you allegedly swore to uphold, defend and protect.

Lourdes on December 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM

UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL for ANY President to say!

Lourdes on December 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Less is MY CHOICE to make, just as it will be my choice to ask for more or leave. Why does he even think this is within his purview?

FineasFinn on December 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM

We need to close a loophole in the Hobbs Act:

“Mr. Broun’s proposal, known as the Freedom from Union Violence Act, would hold union officials who plan, commit, or foment extortionate violence against a firm’s employees to the same standard as business rivals, gangsters, or anyone else who does the same.”

Fallon on December 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM