Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on December 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

The deadline for resolving the fiscal crisis could be much closer than previously thought.

Because of the head-spinning legislative logistics involved in crafting and passing a bill, congressional Republicans and the White House really would have to get the ball rolling on a deal this week if they want to pass something by Jan. 1…

Even if Obama and Boehner somehow strike a deal by mid-week, it would take several days to write the legislation and additional time to send it over to the Congressional Budget Office so they can estimate how much deficit reduction it entails…

From there, both sides would have to get to work selling members of their own party on the package. This would be no easy feat.

***

The White House and House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner’s office held more negotiations on Monday on ways to break the “fiscal cliff” stalemate, although neither side showed any public signs that they were ready to give ground

“I think the atmospherics are getting so much better. We have kind of gotten out of Kabuki theater and gone to dancing the tango,” [Erskine] Bowles told CNBC on Monday. “Any time you start to tango you’ve got a chance.”

Bowles said he did not expect the president to give in on his demand that taxes rise for the top 2 percent of earners.

“I would almost guarantee that rates are going to go up for people in the top 2 percent,” he said.

***

“My constituents want me to stand firm on cutting spending. I campaigned on that issue. That’s why they elected me,” said Representative Ted Poe, Republican of Texas, who won re-election with 65 percent of the vote. “I don’t see any scenario where raising tax rates, in any combination of compromise, will solve our problem.”…

“Another series of robocalls or fliers or TV ads are not going to change the opinion of my constituents,” said Representative Scott Garrett, Republican of New Jersey, who won more than 55 percent in November but still drew the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s attention Monday.

***

Of course, any rate increase for Republicans — one that rank-and-file lawmakers could back and defend — would have to come with serious cuts to entitlement programs. And there’s no evidence President Barack Obama and Democrats have given in on any specific entitlement cuts in closed-door negotiations — especially enough to offset a rate change and an increase in the threshold for the rich.

“Both sides have to hold hands and jump on this one,” said a top Senate aide…

Democrats believe they are dealing from a place of strength in these negotiations and are unlikely to give up concessions on entitlement programs without big moves by Boehner.

“We are winning,” said a top Hill Democratic staffer. “We don’t have to give up on anything yet.”

***

For Democrats, it’s easy to see what victory means: getting Republicans to raise taxes on the rich. For Republicans, it’s less dramatic. The outer edge of what they could get from Obama would be an increase in the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 67 — maybe with some expanded means-testing of Medicare premiums for the wealthy. (There’s already some of that in Obama’s own health care reform law and in the 2003 law that created the Medicare prescription drug program.)…

“These are all good ideas … but they’re not transformational. You just can’t say, ‘Whew, we fixed it for the next generation.’ You just can’t say that,” said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum and another former McCain adviser.

“You wanted steak, and you ended up with reheated hamburger,” Holtz-Eakin added.

So what’s the best thing to do with reheated hamburger? Prepare your base by lowering the expectations.

***

The Journal editors believe that after January 1, when taxes will have gone up for everyone, House Republicans will block Democratic legislation that would cut taxes—that would restore the lower 2012 rates for the vast majority of taxpayers, fix the Alternative Minimum Tax, and for that matter would probably offer a compromise on dividends and the death tax better than what will be the new dividend rate of 39 percent and death tax of 55 percent with a $1 million exemption.

Will Republicans really oppose such legislation? President Obama will be beating the drums for this tax cut. Senate Democrats will pass this tax cut. If Senate Republicans vote against it, it won’t be “Senate Democrats running for re-election in 2014″ who will have a tax hike on their resumes. It will be Senate Republicans who will have voted against cutting taxes. And if House Republicans block such legislation, it will be they, and they alone, insisting on higher taxes.

Of course they won’t. Republicans will fold with lightning speed after we go over the tax cliff on January 1. Which is why the third of the Journal editorial’s three key paragraphs is moot. If we go over the cliff, there won’t be damage to Obama’s chances of second-term success. Quite the contrary. What Republicans will have done is to make Democrats the party of tax cuts and Obama a president fighting for economic growth.

***

This is why more and more Republicans are beginning to realize that just giving President Obama what he wants on rates, and then going home, could be the best possible fiscal cliff outcome. Such a move would: 1) deny Obama more stimulus spending; 2) deny Obama the ability to move on to amnesty; 3) deny Obama a ‘grand bargain’ for his legacy; and 4) preserve conservative leverage over spending by not raising the debt ceiling.

Obama spent the entire campaign saying all he wanted was for the rich to pay a little more by returning to the Clinton rates. He could never refuse to sign such a bill if House Republicans passed one. Plus, it would be a huge conservative victory of 98 percent of the Bush tax rates were made permanent. How could anything Boehner might get out of Obama be any better?

***

STEP THREE: Pass your plans. If the president refuses to negotiate and no progress is made by February, inform him that you will attach all or part of your plan to legislation raising the debt limit and pass it in the House. Then do so. Obama will sign it. Here is why:

Unlike with the fiscal cliff, Republicans have all the leverage when it comes to the debt limit. Today, Obama is perfectly willing to go over the fiscal cliff and blame the GOP for the resulting tax increases on the middle class. But when it comes to the debt limit, he does not have that luxury. He can’t default on our debt — the consequences are too catastrophic. So in the end he will cave.

Indeed, he would have caved during the last debt-limit stand-off, in the summer of 2011. According to Bob Woodward, when Obama told his advisers he intended to veto the debt-limit bill the Republican-controlled House had passed, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner told him he couldn’t — that if Republicans didn’t give in, he had no choice but to sign their bill. “You can’t veto,” Geithner reportedly told Obama, because the consequences “would be indelible, incurable. It would last for generations.”

***

“Let It Burn” is about inaction. There’s no point in trying do anything that avoids going over the fiscal cliff/sequestration. Remember, the deal that got us to this point was agreed to by House Republicans, Senate Democrats and signed by Obama. That’s as bi-partisan as it gets. I’ve heard from squishy low information voters, Obama and the media that “bi-partisan problem solving” is the Holy Grail of politics. Well, here it is.

Will it lead to massive disruptions? Yes. That’s the point. The current system is rigged against conservative[s]. We should play no part in its perpetuation. If you can’t win the game, concede and start new one. That’s the heart of Let It Burn.

This isn’t some petty “I lost so I’m taking my ball and going home” tirade. This is what people want. It’s simply not sustainable. If we can’t stop them, we don’t have to continue to enable them either.

***

Click the image to watch.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Hugh Grant is a cutie. No blonde here, I would call it light mousey brown on its own. That’s why it can’t be on its own.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Chromophobe.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

give him 4 or 5 trillion in debt to be nice to them

r keller on December 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM

This isn’t supported within your argument? I’m not sure what being nice to them would mean.

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

…stepping on ducks.

equanimous on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Hi 4Grace. We missed you but thanks for stopping by and keeping us in line.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hi, Spark. Nah, no “keeping in line” business for me anymore. I was offered early retirement with a golden parachute package. I can’t divulge the details, natch.

My union replacement should be along at any moment. Let’s see, what was his name? …Dante? I believe that’s it. ;)

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I know dark won’t work for me, I am sure it has a lot to do with skin tone.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

LOL! Good one. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I vacillate on the dept ceiling. Obviously it should be used to force cuts but we know who Obama is negotiating with. Other times I think that giving him a huge 50 trillion limit and letting the public see how fast he would blow throw it, would be an interesting experiment. Than I remember that we get the bill and the entertainment value plummets.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Beautiful song

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM

“Very pretty.” Funny, I dress up to clean my house, too!

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Dang, she made Mrs. Clever and Donna Reed look like charwomen. I’m sorry but chiffon is inappropriate.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I know dark won’t work for me, I am sure it has a lot to do with skin tone.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Try a light-to-medium auburn. I think you would like it.

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

The problem is that it’s hard to tell what is ‘dark’ to one person when we’re writing here. It’s so subjective and there are so many gradations of color. My shade is a medium range shade, and I, like you, wouldn’t go darker. My colorist actually calls it a ‘light brown’ shade, but all of my friends call it medium and I agree with their assessment. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Okay, I am really leaving this time. I will sleep through less of Red Eye since I’ve stayed here so long.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Lolz, only missing the white gloves.

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Goodnight, Cindy! Sleep well. :)After at least part of Red Eye! lol!

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

This is the shade I am trying next.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I’ll try to contribute.

My eyes are dark green. My hair is . . . brown. That’s the sum total of all my thoughts about all these things.

I have feet. Um. Gotta be more detailed. I . . . am sort of sand colored . . . and . . . I never even thought about dying any of my bits any particular color or anything until tonight . . . though I think I could — no.

All right. I’m out. I’ll just stay busy. :)

What color are Sparks eyes? B9 will want to know.

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Goodnight, Cindy!

I’m out, too. Goodnight, all!

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Sorry, guys, I won’t talk hair color any more.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Amado Mio – Pink Martini

Did someone mention ladies with auburn hair?

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM

That shade is beautiful.. and it will likely look wonderful on you, too, with your coloring, too. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Linked you this the other night in case you were lurking.

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM

As patient as we ladies have been with all of you guys talking cars, sports, hunting, etc. you can put up with a little hair color discussion! LOL!

Green eyes and brown hair? And athletically toned, too? Hmm.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I’m out, too. Goodnight, all!

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Night Grace.

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM

How sweet of you to think of me! :) I like that tune, too. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM

4Grace on December 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Goodnight, 4Grace! It’s been a pleasure to chat with you this evening. :) Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Hmm.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM

:) I’m OK. I’m a decent looking guy. I won’t be winning any contests — but kids don’t run from me or anything.

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Let’s Never Stop Falling In Love – Pink Martini

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I need to lurk for about a half hour, what with the real world interfering with my screwing around — if you bail Jack, night! — if not, see you in a bit. :)

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Sorry, guys, I won’t talk hair color any more.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

It’s all good. That shade was real nice.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

my apologies for not making it clearer. My assumption is that the Most important thing to barry is payback for the last time he was force to sign a debt ceiling bill by Timmy.

ok, now the ball is in his court…he wants lots of stuff to continue The Project. I think barry just might seriously wnat the debt control. How is he going to force Rs to give it to him?

i’m not sure he can…but he might be happy with his tax increase, plus stimulus bill….plus a compromise on his Debt control idea. But rather than give obama full Power over the debt (obama’s position) the Rs agree to give him enough room to finish his next term…which should be in the area of 20T or so.

that way, barry can say I Won on the taxes…and give lots of pay-back to the hated Rs for their obstinate behavior on the last debt deal

obviously, i have no clue…but somethings going on. A simple tax bill can be done quickly…barry want other stuff…and thinks he’ll get it.

Putting the debt control into Preezy’s hands is bad…very bad, and Rs won’t do that…so they’ll give him lots of money

r keller on December 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Lol! You’re so funny. I never once suspected that you might frighten small children. I’ve always thought of you as an intelligent and attractive sort. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I think so, too, and that shade will shine and catch the light. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Tango Roxanne

Just for you, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM

cmsinaz, KJ and canopfor are the morning crew.

Kj is a serious blogger who disects the issues. And I agree with him on pretty much everything.

He devotes a lot to that blog and it shows. Too notch.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

And with that last tune, I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Top notch.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Axe…it’s getting too late, and i’m too tired to have a coherent conversation about this now…so i’m out…but i’ll look tomorrow to see if you have any comments

nite

r keller on December 11, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Thanks for the tango.

Yowza. My engine is running.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:20 AM

What in the hell is Rove doing back on FOX?? Same old losers back on same old channel.

Time for another network!!!

Sherman1864 on December 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Night Jackie. :)

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM

r keller on December 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

nite

r keller on December 11, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Night r keller.

It seems your summary statement wraps up pretty well. :) I think I get it. They walk out with the debt ceiling controls by buying him off with pretty much anything short of it (maybe an overstatement, but that seems to be the general idea).

I’ve been assuming they have already quietly capitulated on raising the debt ceiling, and that the transfer of the controls for setting it is out of the question; your idea of what needs to happen (or will happen) draws pretty much the same conclusions, but back-fills the logic a bit.

We’re about to find out, anyway. :)

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 4:37 AM

“would be indelible, incurable. It would last for generations.”

Balancing the budget will liberate future generations.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Chromophobe.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I fear no colors! :)

cmsinaz, KJ and canopfor are the morning crew.

He devotes a lot to that blog and it shows. [Top] notch.

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

True.

Night Spark, Rock, everyone — night crew!

Morning, morning crew!

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Balancing the budget will liberate future generations.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2012 at 4:42 AM

I think Geithner is just in some sort of continuous mortal terror of default. — Which would be the only sane emotion going on there, now that I think about it.

*poof*

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Republicans had Obama cornered and didn’t know it — so they let him off the hook.

That’s wrong, Marc Thiessen, in fact myself and a lot of other people here at HotAir and elsewhere did know that the Republican House had Democrats cornered in ’11, and Boehner knew full well that he had them cornered, yet he told the tea party to “get their asses in line” and did the wrong thing anyway, not by mistake but intentionally.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM

**Alert ***

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sen Marco Rubio’s Human Rights Day Remarks on the Senate Floor (Full Video 12-10-12)

VIDEO:(14:43)
**************

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM

funny, this is the ONLY promise dear leader wants to keep…

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:42 AM

If we can’t stop them, we don’t have to continue to enable them either.

hear hear

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:46 AM

More Rubio….

Rubio slams human-rights violators as ‘grotesque’
By Ramsey Cox – 12/10/12 03:34 PM ET
*************************************

On Human Rights Day, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) criticized human-rights violators who allow modern-day slavery and countries that deny religious freedoms.

“What’s important today is to take a moment and realize that the cause of human rights is not a partisan cause … it’s a human cause,” Rubio said on the floor Monday. “Human trafficking and slavery is real.”

Rubio called on the Senate to strengthen human-rights protections within the United States when it reauthorizes the Human Trafficking Protection Act. He said he hopes that bill is brought to the floor for a vote by the end of this year or early next year.

Rubio said the United States grants waivers to some of the “worst” human right’s violators.

“I hope we’ll look at that process legislatively as to why we’re granting these waivers,” Rubio said.

Rubio called out several countries for their violations of religious freedoms, including China, Russia, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Iran.

Rubio added that human-rights violations are happening within the United States as well. He said he wants more senators to join him in writing another letter to the newspaper Village Voice, a publication he said advertises for sex slaves within the United States.

Rubio called the practice “disgusting and grotesque” and said the paper should stop profiting from human slavery.

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

agree, KJ’s blog is excellent…

Axe on December 11, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Good Morning!!

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:49 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

rubio, me likey

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:55 AM

If we can’t stop them, we don’t have to continue to enable them either.

hear hear

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:46 AM

cmsinaz:

Good Morning CMS,and it looks like the Dems are going to
feel a tad uncomfortable in watching Zero Dark 30 Movie!

And,its on Hopey’s Watch,watch MJ Spin it!:)
============================================

Joe Scarborough Claims Zero Dark Thirty Torture Scene True, Screenwriter And Facts Disagree
by Tommy Christopher | 2:50 pm, December 10th, 2012
***************************************************

Video:(10:00)

On Monday morning’s Morning Joe, host Joe Scarborough led a panel discussion of Frank Bruni‘s New York Times op-ed piece, “Bin Laden, Torture and Hollywood,” which is about the depiction of torture in the forthcoming hunt-for-bin Laden film Zero Dark Thirty. In textbook Morning Joe fashion, the assembled panel debated some of the finer points of Bruni’s piece, but none of them challenged Scarborough’s assertion that the film proves that torture works, and was crucial to the killing of Osama bin Laden, an assertion that the film’s screenwriter admits, and that the facts demonstrate, is false.

Co-host Mika Brzezinski began with a selective reading of Bruni’s piece, in which he describes the depiction of torture:
——————————————————

It’s about finding a needle in a uniquely messy and menacing haystack. “Enhanced interrogation techniques” like waterboarding are presented as crucial to that search, and it’s hard not to focus on them, because the first extended sequence in the movie shows a detainee being strung up by his wrists, sexually humiliated, deprived of sleep, made to feel as if he’s drowning and shoved into a box smaller than a coffin.
(More….)
===========

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:15 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

rubio, me likey

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 5:55 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,me too,I caught that tidbit,off the top of the news
spot,er,segment,in between breaks of Talk Radio!:)

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

maybe rubio could slip those sex slaves into his dream act lite bill and then they would get amnesty.

WINNING!!!!!!

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:15 AM

interesting….facts disagree? we found the dude…

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM

heh

morning renalin

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

buenos dias:)

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM

WINNING!!!!!!

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM

renalin:Hmmmm…..,me thinks,Rubio,was speaking beyond Mech E Co,
and other countries….hmmmmmm..,and Good Morning!

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:42 AM

renalin on December 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM

so i’m thinking today’s lsm squirrel will be the michigan protesters on the right to work bill…forget about the fiscal cliff

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Charles M. Thruston, Aug. 10, 1794

Obviously… this problem has been around for awhile.

This is why we lose. Our side ignores the truth. Our side hides from it. And if someone dared utter the truth, he is shouted down by our side as an extremist. This is also why so many of the American people are ignorant. They only hear the lies of the Democrats. Preposterous lies about killing grandma and caring only about the rich from the Democrats and what from the Republicans? How do they respond?

We desperately need new leadership. Nothing is going to change until we have fresh new leaders willing to go to the root of what is happening in America right now! Our side needs to expose the lies, the fraud the hypocrisy and if they do that the rest is easy! The leaders we have now don’t want to. Until they do… nothing else matters.

I fear Boehner is just giving us theater. I bet they drag this out until Christmas eve and then they announce the agreement they had all along. Other wise.. why the secret talks?

JellyToast on December 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM

interesting….facts disagree? we found the dude…

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM

cmsinaz:Mikas facts are..%^&^%&*(),

heres the NYT piece from that linky!
=====================================

Bin Laden, Torture and Hollywood
By FRANK BRUNI
Published: December 8, 2012
***************************

I’M betting that Dick Cheney will love the new movie “Zero Dark Thirty.”

Who could have predicted that? Hollywood, after all, is supposed to be a West Coast annex of the Democratic National Committee, and the makers of this gripping thriller, about the hunt for Osama bin Laden, were expected to repay the Obama administration for its indulgence of them with a tribute to the current president’s wisdom and grit.

But the movie of the year is also the political conundrum of the year, a far, far cry from the rousing piece of pro-Obama propaganda that some conservatives feared it would be. “Zero Dark Thirty,” which opens in theaters on Dec. 19 and presents itself as a quasi-journalistic account of what really happened, gives primary credit for the killing of Bin Laden to neither the Bush nor the Obama administrations but to one obsessive C.I.A. analyst whose work spans both presidencies. And it presents the kind of torture that Cheney advocated — but that President Obama ended — as something of an information-extracting necessity, repellent but fruitful.

From Page#2
***********

But the torture sequence immediately follows a bone-chilling, audio-only prologue of the voices of terrified Americans trapped in the towering inferno of the World Trade Center. It’s set up as payback.
(More…)
============

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM

SparkPlug on December 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Thanks, y’all! And, I’m going to catch it to day. Here’s my take…choom…choom.

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM

“Atmospherics?”

“Kabuki?”

“Tango”"

Are these idiots really running our government????

What a crock of crap!!!!

Sherman1864 on December 11, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Brace For Impact:
=================

Protesters to march on Michigan capitol over “right-to-work” vote

Bernie Woodall Reuters

6:20 a.m. EST, December 11, 2012

LANSING, Michigan (Reuters) – As many as 10,000 labor union workers from throughout Michigan and the U.S. Midwest are expected to march on the Michigan Capitol building in freezing temperatures on Tuesday to protest likely passage of a “right-to-work” law.

The Republican-controlled Michigan House of Representatives will consider two and perhaps three bills on Tuesday that would prohibit unions from compelling private sector workers and government employees to pay union dues.(More….)
=================================================

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM

will have to pop it in my netflix queue….
thanks for the linky

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:56 AM

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM

oh yeah…

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Thanks, y’all! And, I’m going to catch it to day. Here’s my take…choom…choom.

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM

kingsjester:Morning KJ:)

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Mornin’!

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I like Krauthammer, but I would not call this a military rout. I would say that some Republicans are simply under the impression that not only is Obama willing to go over that cliff, he wants to go over that cliff. After all, he won’t get the blame and the fact that he had a crappy economy during his first term did not hurt him all that much..so what does he care?

But you will be…because the economic and fiscal outcome of going off that cliff will require a reaction from the government. And once again, it will be the big bad Republicans who screw things up for the working people. Or that is what the working people will be lead to believe anyway. Why, just the other day a man who should know better told me that there was plenty of money for entitlements up through 2033 and in fact, they should be paying for dental care as well.

Terrye on December 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM

will have to pop it in my netflix queue….
thanks for the linky

cmsinaz on December 11, 2012 at 6:56 AM

cmsinaz:-O

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM

**UnionGoonions Live Coverage:

Michigan right-to-work coverage Live
************************************

Follow along below for live coverage from Free Press and Lansing State Journal staffers in Lansing as thousands of people arrive at the state Capitol to protest right-to-work legislation.

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM

somehow I think it is already written and is very long.

tomas on December 11, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm………

Dec. 11, 2012, 7:08 a.m. EST

U.S. TARP program now more than 90% repaid
By Steve Gelsi

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — The U.S. Treasury said Tuesday more than 90%, or about $380 billion, of the $418 billion spent under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) during the financial crisis as been recovered through repayments and other income. The update came after the Treasury said it’ll raise about $7.6 billion by selling its final batch of common stock in American International Group Inc. AIG -2.26% . (See earlier Market Pulse article).

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Mornin’!

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM

kingsjester:)

canopfor on December 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Since Prezzy has already gone from the top 1% to the top 2%, has anyone decided where exactly the above $250/$200K came from? Has Prezzy or anyone defined ‘fair share’? Sounds like he stole that from United Way. Hey, there’s another great slogan bumper sticker for the Won. Does anyone outside of our dwindling circle wonder about any of this or do they just wait for whatever happens to hit them and then try to figure out the way to the life boats? Titanic it is then.

Kissmygrits on December 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

The American people voted against the Republican solution to the debt crisis, and voted for the Democrat solution. It’s up to us to make sure the Democrats own their solution. I don’t think we can do much more. In fact, given the MSM, that’s a lot.

claudius on December 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

How does one say: not raising the debt limit is NOT defaulting on debt.

It means you decide NOT TO SPEND MORE THAN YOU TAKE IN.

Within that budget are payments out on CURRENT DEBT.

The debt limit means you incur NO NEW DEBT, you just spend nothing more than you take in.

The US government has written into every single thing it does, by statute, that it can pull promises on payment for NEW OUTGO whenever it wants for anything, for any reason or no reason whatsoever. It has an obligation to pay interest on current debt, yes, but that is not what the DEBT LIMIT is about.

Is this so very hard to understand?

STOP THE SPENDING.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Flora, I know you are reading these threads. I miss you. Hope this note finds you well. xo

Bmore on December 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM