Poll: 64% of adults want federal government to defer to state marijuana laws; Update: So does Mitch Daniels

posted at 1:38 pm on December 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

The obligatory follow-up to Friday’s post wondering why Obama would want to sic the DOJ on weed users in Washington and Colorado when both states just voted to legalize it. Per Gallup, most Americans are wondering that too. On the underlying legalization question:

My point on Friday was that the federalism angle gives the GOP a way of ingratiating itself with younger voters and minorities on this issue without backing full legalization. You don’t have to be pro-weed to be pro-democracy, a lesson borne out here by Gallup’s numbers. Adults are actually ever so slightly opposed to legalizing marijuana (48/50) but decisively in favor of leaving the matter to the states to decide (64/34). In fact, even among people who want weed banned, fully 43 percent say the feds shouldn’t meddle if a state decides to legalize it. That’s the opening for Republicans in trying to sell this to reluctant seniors. The party can remain officially anti-pot at the state level, but at the federal level, it’s hands off.

Just for funsies, compare the numbers on marijuana above to the numbers on gay marriage compiled by Gallup in a different poll taken last week:

Younger voters and Democrats generally are a bit more sold on SSM than they are on legalizing marijuana but you’ve got similar feelings on both issues among each group. The whole question for Republicans, obviously, is whether taking a federalist line on weed will win them more young votes than it’ll lose them old ones. Will huge numbers of seniors stay home in 2014 if the GOP adopts a “let the people decide” line on pot? I’m skeptical. Plus, given how dramatically the numbers have moved towards legalization in the past few years — it was 36/60 as recently as 2006 — prominent pols will feel increasingly safe in speaking out in favor and that itself will start to move votes among the public. (We’ve already seen this to some extent with rising support among black voters for SSM after Obama changed his mind.) Here’s one notable example from the new documentary “Breaking the Taboo.”

Update: A pitch-perfect pitch:

Anyways, I talked to Governor Mitch Daniels about this issue about a week ago at a Buckley event at Yale, and he had some interesting thoughts. “I hope that people will be consistent,” he told me, referring to conservatives who support states’ rights. “I believe that federalism is, first and foremost, a protection of liberty. And I would just hope that people who say they believe that would be consistent.”

He continued to say that regardless of his personal opinion on decriminalization, states should be able to make their own choices on the issue.

“Without endorsing what they [Colorado and Washington] did, I think they had, under our system, a right to do it,” he said. “A lot of the worst problems we’ve got in this country, and some of the worst divisions we have, came when the right of citizens in community and in polities, like their state, had those rights usurped by the federal government. And having disagreed with it when it happened on other occasions, I sure wouldn’t call for it here.”

Grandma’s not staying home on election day in indignation over that approach, is she?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Only a lib can make smoking weed about race.

Actually, I can too. Blacks are probably disproportionately arrested for possession.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

No. Slavery is the “Get Out of Jail Free” card for all liberals when they want to ignore or manipulate the Constitution.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Blacks are probably disproportionately arrested for possession.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Future Pigford-type settlements in our future.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Update: So does Mitch Daniels

I knew I never liked the guy as soon as he started talking about a truce on social issues, in particular abortion. Looks like I have yet another reason to be happy that the only president he’ll ever be is president of Purdue.

Stoic Patriot on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Pigford 3

a donkey and a joint

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

So if we defer to the states about pot and whether or not they recognize same-sex marriage, why not the same for abortion? Surely the same principle is at work when it comes to killing unborn children as is present when discussing pot smoking or sodomy.

Happy Nomad on December 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yes. All of these questions should be settled at the state level. If that were the case I would vote for my state being pro-life, pro-marriage (the traditional kind) and anti-pot. Your state could be different.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Blacks sold their own people into slavery.

Many of the ones sold were better off than those that had to stay in Africa and die. Really sad story.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Now the welfare class want to enslave us when we had nothing to do with slavery.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I never owned any slaves.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Stoic Patriot on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

obviously killing babies isn’t a truce issue

smoking weed is

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

But now I am a slave for the welfare queens.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I thought about owning loves slaves but decided it was too expensive.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I’m against killing babies in case that issue ever comes up.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

dead babies are a few of my least favorite things

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Let the States handle it and all the drug issues, when it comes to that.

All the food issues as well.

Get rid of the DEA and FDA in one shot.

Agriculture shouldn’t be a federal issue either… it is a federalist issue, best handled at the State level, as well. So take out the USDA along with FDA and DEA.

Having food and drugs on interstate commerce labeled as to what is in them so States know what is being transported from State to State can be recognized for local purposes… that can stay… but that isn’t something you need such large agencies for.

Given the track record of what governments ‘help’, I think getting the federal government out of the marriage concept and taxing individuals only would be a good deal, as well. Agreements between individuals for exchanged property rights, hospital rights and so on can be done via contract. Marriage is something that happens outside of the State entirely. Really, giving the government the power to define marriage… is that turning out to be such a great idea? Maybe States can do this stuff better, because the federal government is demonstrating itself to be unable to uphold it as a concept when leaders ‘evolve’ on an issue that is plain to see and has been since the dawn of mankind. Does that give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling in the long run? What the government dispenses it can also take away… best keep those things few and far between.

ajacksonian on December 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

but as long as we’re on the subject – how do you make a dead baby float? Two scoops of vanilla, one scoop of dead baby.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Technically, states can legalize abortion. They can also legalize murder and rape pursuant to the Tenth Amendment, but the legislators who do so will be unlikely to ever darken the halls of the state’s Congress building, and there will be a serious outbound stampede of residents if that ever happens.

Archivarix on December 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The problem isn’t that abortion can’t be made legal in states. The problem is that it can’t be made illegal.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

How long before you can go on disability for your weed addiction that was legalized?

This last election leads me to believe over half the country is already high.

Rockshine on December 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Rockshine on December 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

since addiction to weed is virtually impossible, and alcohol addiction isn’t considered a disability, I’d have to say…never?

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM

but you’re right. Half the country is high. That’s why the War on Weed is useless, and it might be good to court the smoker vote.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Blacks sold their own people into slavery.

Yep. And there is still culturally accepted private slavery in Africa (and in the islamic world – the other group the left loves).

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Very true. Anyone whose ancestors got to America so that they could be born citizens – no matter how they got here – can count himself among the luckiest people in the history of humanity. Period.

And the libfree idiot also skips the fact that free blacks in America were big-time slave owners (the SCOTUS case that established the legality of slavery was that of free-black who owned a slave).

These idiot leftists live in a fantasy world where they imagine themselves in the 17th century with iPhones and the environment they see around themselves today (at least, as much of the environment as they’re aware of, which isn’t much, as leftists aren’t the most observant of people). They fantasize that, even though they are slaves to fashion, today, they wouldn’t have been slaves to the same fashion in any other time. Laughable and pathetic … as leftists are.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I don’t understand why we revere and elevate alcoholics like Boehner to the highest offices, then bloviate about the evils of weed. Give me a stoner over a drunk any day.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Now, some idiot on Fox Business is actually claiming that “some amounts of cannabis” can actually enhance performance (with respect to driving). LOL.

This is how crazy these people are. They are actually trying to claim that pot “enhances concentration” and can improve driving. Now, I’ve heard everything. Pot is fun but it doesn’t enhance any performance.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Pot enhances creativity sometimes

but not operation of heavy machinery

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Mitch “The VAT” Daniels only wants it so he can tax it and spend lots more money. Gawd, these pols are soooo transparent.

Odysseus on December 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

How do you know that Boehner is an alcholic?

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Breaking: USAF to have F-22 pilots light up before strapping on one of the most complex fighter aircraft ever built. Air Force officials say the hope it will give pilots “an edge”. Pilots were seen updating their wills just before they donned their G-suits.

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

How do you know that Boehner is an alcholic?

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

who else cries like Britney Spears after shaving her head on national tv?

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The men whose morality you admire held other humans in bondage as property. Why, exactly, are we looking to them for “moral” guidance. I can understand looking to them for guidance in terms of governance, I can understand looking to them for principles of classical liberal philosophy. But morality? It is so utterly insane that you can see a slave society as moral.

You’re spot on with this observation. People want to romanticize the founders as being some sort of moral authority when they were anything but. The worst atrocity in American history happened under their stewardship. Good thing “morality” changes over time.

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, Mitch didn’t smoke weed in college and realize first hand how harmless it really is.

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I know some men who don’t drink at all who get easily choked up.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The Founders were far better men than just about any alive in America, today – except for Jefferson, he was real pri*k. I would take the Founders’ morality and decency any day, especially over the depraved and demented looters of the left who are nothing but dangerous entropy increasers.

And you can stuff the “American atrocity” cr@p. Go look at the world that existed. Go look at Africa today and tell me about how terrible America was 200 years ago. Give me a friggin break.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I cried in “The Horse Whisperer” and “Armageddon”

but they were novelty tears, quickly hidden by a manly guise of manliness.

Beohner blubbers.

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Seeing as I was a Daniels supporter last round…and still wish he ran…I could never understand the conservative problem he seemed to cause. He only mentioned the idea of a VAT, and even then, he only said he’d consider it if it were paired with a flat-tax.

So how that got turned into “Mitch ‘The VAT’ Daniels”I’ll never know.

JetBoy on December 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You sound like one of those guys who deny the holocaust. Hitler probably wasn’t a bad guy either huh?

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

It will be Michelle Obama’s 2016 campaign slogan: LEGALIZE THE GREEN!

Then 8 more years of these anti-American wreckers.

profitsbeard on December 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Slade73 on December 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I see.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

To be fair, we do have two chains of command. My question was more about who pays.

M240H on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I am not sure, maybe its the imaginary bong you told me to drop that pays ? :)

dmacleo on December 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

So how that got turned into “Mitch ‘The VAT’ Daniels”I’ll never know.

Mitch did us all a disservice by not running for President. He’s been a fine governor. I’m proud to have voted for him twice. Not so proud he’s headed to Purdue.

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

We’ve already had to dope related murders here in Seattle.

Mr. Arrogant on December 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The only hard time I ever had driving after toking a little was coming back to CT from a ski trip in VT, at night, when it was snowing. Too weird.

JetBoy on December 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Pot is fun but it doesn’t enhance any performance.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Louis Armstrong and Gene Krupa would have disagreed.

profitsbeard on December 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

You sound like a leftist douche without a brain.

I’ll tell you something, though, I’m certainly glad that the pogroms drove my great-grandparents out of Russia and to the US.

What Hitler and the Germans did to the Jews was not to drive anyone anywhere but just to kill them. Not to enslave them.There’s a big difference, there, though I don’t imagine you are capable of understanding that. The lucky Jews got to work as slaves and made it through the war to leave Europe. What happened to the Jews during WWII is NOTHING like what happened to the blacks in AMerica. Not even close. That you even try to would make such a comparison shows what an ahistorical dolt you are.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Keep in mind, that’s from your point of view, not an objective assessment. Pot clearly inhibits performance (with respect to the jazz musicians referenced above). Most people who drive drunk don’t get into accidents. It is very rare for a drunk driver to get into an accident (by raw numbers) but the marginal difference is large enough to be noticeable when dealing with huge numbers of people on the road.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

This last election leads me to believe over half the country is already high.

Rockshine on December 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

People don’t get addicted to weed. Courts give people two choices when arrested: rehab or jail, so 99% of people choose rehab.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Smoking small amounts of pot does not clearly inhibit performance, just as a small amount of alcohol might not. And a large amount of marijuana clearly is not as dangerous as a large amount of alcohol when it comes to driving.

In fact, I’d say I’d rather have a high 40 year old stoner driving near me then a 16 year old kid.

Timin203 on December 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m scratching my head trying to put together a list of absolute reasons for the Federal Government to exist.

Federal Government responsibilities should be the following:

National Defense…army, navy, air force, marines…period.

Maintenance of the Federal highway system…that is Federal Interstate highways…along with a law preventing the construction of any additional Federal interstate highways…period.

Support of the 3 branches of the U.S. Government…legislative, executive and judicial.

Maintenance of existing Federal monuments and Federal parks along with a 50-yr. moratorium on adding any additional monuments or allowing the allocation of any state land for federal parks.

I am ready to embrace the thoughts of Mitch Daniels about the Federal government taking way too many responsibilities away from state governments. It may be too late, but I would like to see many states adopt laws similar to the new Marijuana laws in Washington and Colorado that begin to strip the Federal government of it’s overreaching powers. As an example, our interstate highways are in terrible shape and probably going to get worse. Do we really need the Federal government to build highways on our State lands? While many of the State highways are no longer needed or used, the States can build their own divided highway system to link up with divided highway systems of other states. And much of the State money can come from not maintaining State highways that are hardly used. In fact, many of the State highways should be abandoned and destroyed, or turned over to the county governments to maintain.p>

There are endless opportunities for states to take back areas of government that should belong to the states in the first place. So, as I develop my list for Federal government responsibilities, can some HotAir readers help me and give me some additional ideas? Also, can others give examples of current Federal responsibilities that could be better handled by the states?

metroryder on December 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Blacks sold their own people into slavery

…hello!…it’s STILL going on!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Update: So does Mitch Daniels

Stoic Patriot on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

How can you argue with his logic? As a “stoic Patriot”, wouldn’t you be in favor of greater State powers and lesser Federal Government powers?

metroryder on December 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

You sound like a leftist douche without a brain.

Give me liberty or give me death. Sound familiar? “Conservative”?

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Give me liberty or give me death. Sound familiar? “Conservative”?

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Again, you don’t seem to understand the real meaning. Patrick Henry was speaking about freedom not for himself, really, but for his Posterity.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

mazer9 on December 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Its pretty unfair to smear an entire group of men by the actions of their peers. Just because the founding fathers governed a nation that had slave holding states, doesn’t mean they all endorsed it. It was the deep south that insisted on slavery, and even there it faced stiff opposition. The Mississippi Supreme Court ruled in 1818:

Prior to our independence, the colonies tried to enact laws to restrict slavery and Britain forbaid them. After our independence from Britian, the Northern states quickly abolished slavery and George Washington signed into law the Northwest Ordinance (1787, 1789), which governed the admission of new states into the union from the then northwest territories, forbid slavery. Thus, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa all prohibited slavery. Seeing as how you live in a country that commits infanticide at the rate of 5,000 babies per day, what grounds do you have for phony moralizing?

NeverLiberal on December 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

The 4th leg of the stool of conservatism – Weed Conservatives?

tommy71 on December 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM

My take.

kingsjester on December 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM

“Slavery is condemned by reason and the laws of nature. It exists and can only exist, through municipal regulations, and in matters of doubt,…courts must lean in favorem vitae et libertatis [in favor of life and liberty”

Are you kidding me? You really going to compare the termination of a lump of cells with the systematic enslavement of a race of living, breathing, thinking people? People who were beaten, raped, and made to work like dogs from birth to death? You going to compare the hypocrisy of men who in one breath would say that “all men are created equal”, while having debates on how man “quarters of a human” to count a black man for population purposes with that of modern-day politicians? Even if some of the founders thought slavery was bad, they truly didn’t see black men as their equal. It wasn’t until the 60′s that there was even any semblance of equality in this country, almost 100 years after the abolition of slavery. Go ahead and ignore the sins of this country out of convenience. Pretend as if we are just now entering the wasteland of “sin and immorality”. This country had it’s roots in it. You might want to go back there, but I sure as hell don’t.

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I haven’t looked through 250+ comments, so bear with if this is repeated elsewhere:
I find it disheartening that, of all the things that the Feds have saddled us with over the years, this is what people finally decide to hang their federalist hats upon….

DrScottMD on December 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

If you don’t want to go back there then don’t. It sounds as if you want to live in the past.

darwin on December 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

DrScottMD on December 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Thank the liberal education system and our wonderful propagandist media.

darwin on December 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

No to be Consistent as Gov. Daniels wants it would also mean to differ Abortion to the States as well. Which I think would be fine with most conservatives.

Critic2029 on December 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I just want to acknowledge the past actually happened and it wasn’t as “morally superior” to present-day society. Weed and all.

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Bull.

About the only thing we have over the past is that minorities get a fair shake…and frankly we’ve gone too far the other way.

MelonCollie on December 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

About the only thing!? You make it seem like it was such a small thing? It was liberty and freedom for an entire race of people!

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The 4th leg of the stool of conservatism – Weed federalism Conservatives?

tommy71 on December 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM

FTFY

JohnGalt23 on December 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Concerning slavery, John Quincy Adams(known as the hell-hound of abolition) said the following:

The inconsistency of the institution of domestic slavery with the principles of the Declaration of Independence was seen and lamented by all the southern patriots of the Revolution; by no one with deeper and more unalterable conviction than by the author of the Declaration himself [Jefferson]. No charge of insincerity or hypocrisy can be fairly laid to their charge. Never from their lips was heard one syllable of attempt to justify the institution of slavery. They universally considered it as a reproach fastened upon them by the unnatural step-mother country [Great Britain] and they saw that before the principles of the Declaration of Independence, slavery, in common with every other mode of oppression, was destined sooner or later to be banished from the earth. Such was the undoubting conviction of Jefferson to his dying day. In the Memoir of His Life, written at the age of seventy-seven, he gave to his countrymen the solemn and emphatic warning that the day was not distant when they must hear and adopt the general emancipation of their slaves.”

Leftists are quick to quote, “judge not that ye be not judged,” until it benefits them. There is not greater example of racism in the United States than abortion. Abortion was founded in the U.S. with the intent to reduce the black population, among others. The U.S was the first country to institue forced sterilization and it was survived the whole way up until 1981. Your comments concerning abortion are an abomination. Try watching this ultrasound of an abortion and then tell me again that unborn children are just an unthinking lump of cells.

NeverLiberal on December 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

@JohnGalt23. Socons were always part of the conservative coalition, not weed conservatives. Its amusing that you’re trying to use the federal/state rights as an excuse to legalize weed. Lol

tommy71 on December 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Here is an issue that gets libs to back the Tenth Amendment, so if you’re a conservative, don’t shoot yourself in the foot…..again (from a conservative)

michaelthomas on December 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM

mazer9 on December 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Their owners -tribal chiefs in Africa- sold them to Arab Muslims, who name for slave in Arabic is “black.”

The Muslims sold them to British and Dutch traders. The British sold the slaves in markets they set up here. Just like slaves are sold in Africa and Arabia to this day.

The 4/5 of a human idea was put forth by northerners because southerners wanted slaves counted for purposes of congressional representation.

And many of the founders were completely aware of the disconnect between documents like the Declaration of Independence and slaveholding, but were content to form a union first and deal with slavery later, confident that it would go away soon enough.

So you’re taking a slice of history, as if photographed by an MRI, and representing that as the whole, proof that you are not much of a thinker at all.

Akzed on December 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM