Indicators: Consumer spending not looking too good

posted at 2:21 pm on December 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

At first glance, last week’s release of the monthly jobs report may have appeared to be good news — the unemployment rate technically fell to a recent low of 7.7 percent. Upon closer inspection, however, labor force participation also dropped as Americans continued to exit the work force, and that’s not the only economic indicator going south.

Investor confidence has been slackening off somewhat with the fiscal cliff within range, and there are fresh signs that consumer confidence is following suit, via the WSJ:

American consumers helped carry the economy through a spring slowdown and appeared to power a summer resurgence in growth. But in recent weeks government data have shown spending was slower over the summer than previously believed, and it has started off the final three months of the year on an even weaker footing.

Now a range of factors, from high unemployment to the prospect of increased taxes due to the approaching “fiscal cliff,” are threatening to sap consumers’ spending power at a time when other sectors of the economy likely are too weak to pick up the slack. …

Consumer spending, which accounts for more than two-thirds of economic output, is especially important at a time when other sectors have been struggling. …

Business investment fell sharply in the third quarter and has likely stayed weak as concerns mounted over the fiscal standoff in Washington. The housing market has shown strong growth this year, but construction activity remains depressed compared with before the recession.

And here’s yet another bit of negative economic news: The Department of Agriculture released new data confirming that the number of Americans enrolled for food-stamp benefits reach a new high for the month of September, another indicator of just how much Americans are struggling and the results of Obama’s failed policies. The DC summarizes:

The most recent data on SNAP participation were released Friday, and showed that 47,710,324 people were enrolled in the program in September, an increase of 607,559 from the 47,102,765 enrolled in August.

… The average benefit, according to the new data, was $134.29 per person and $278.89 per household.

The new numbers mean that an estimated one in 6.5 people in America were on food stamps in September.

But just remember, friends: It isn’t the Obama economy that’s going to put a damper on your holiday season; Republicans’ failure to hike taxes and further pummel the economy are going to be the real cause of a “Scrooge Christmas.” Yeesh.

Comments

Except for purchases of guns and ammo – those are through the roof.
What does that say?

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

and Bishop!

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Don’t Care. Obama is Awesome. Where is my ObamaPhone?

sentinelrules on December 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Indicators: Consumer spending not looking too good.

Aw come on! This headline has to be from the Onion!

we know it’s ALL GOOD! Forward!

ToddPA on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

It will only get better when the rich don’t have as much to spend after tax rates go up. Right? Right? Right?

totherightofthem on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yes, and we have a teacher’s union that doesn’t teach and a BSM to fault for the sorry state of the Low-information voter buying into the Government as Santa Clause myth.

Lord help US.

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Peter Schiff: Majority Doesn’t “Have A Right To Steal My Money Just Because They Voted For It”

PETER SCHIFF: First of all, I’m in the top two percent. Right now, I’m paying 45% of my total income in income taxes, both to the state of Connecticut and to the federal government, and if you take the 3% Medicare tax. After the tax hikes go into effect next year, more than half — more than half of my total income is going to go to the government. You tell me, what’s fair about that when medieval serfs pay 25%, I’m paying half? I don’t care what the majority voted to do, they don’t have a right to steal my money just because they vote for it.

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Food Stamps !
It’s what Christmas is all about. – Obama

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Everybody sing “Have yourself a Depression Era Chrsitmas…”

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

No matter, Obama approval rating is very high @ 58% and net approval (approval vs. disapproval) is at 0 for the first time since 2009 (had been negative all this time).

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Best Black Friday, EVER!!!!! That’s all you peons need to know.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It’s like one of those old elementary school math problems.

Q: If there are 47,710,324 people on food stamps, at an average benefit of $134.29 per person, how many months can this spending be maintained before we achieve socialist paradise?

A:

JeremiahJohnson on December 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Best Black Friday, EVER!!!!! That’s all you peons need to know.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Joy Behar would like a word with you.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Just buying what is/has worn out ….. nothing more … except ammo ….
and a new gun … :D ruger 10/22 …..

conservative tarheel on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Let It Burn

BigGator5 on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

But…but…but Barry is “The Smartest Man in the World”. He knows all about economics. Just ask him!

GarandFan on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Figures you reichwing rethuglikkans would cheer this bad economical news. You people just root for the country to fail at every turn.

tom daschle concerned on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Not buying anything except what is absolutely necessary. Food prices keep going up and up, gas prices are still insane. I’m choosing more and more to simply not participate in the wreckovery.

smfic on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Except for purchases of guns and ammo – those are through the roof.
What does that say?

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

That you’re a lost civilization” — Maureen Dowd.

Gun sales have burgeoned since the president’s re-election, with Black Friday weapons purchases setting records as the dead-enders rush to arm themselves.

But history will no doubt record that withering Republicans were finally wiped from the earth in 2016 when the relentless (and rested) Conquistadora Hillary marched in, General Bill on a horse behind her, and finished them off.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

EEwwwwww!

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

On the bright side, 47.7 million are now on Food Stamps…another 640,000 added in November alone…

PatriotRider on December 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

tom daschle concerned on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I do, with NO hesitation.

Such a once freest land, and now so stupid, deserves NO less!!!

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Don’t blame me
-dear leader

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Suffer Fools, suffer

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

government data have shown spending … has started off the final three months of the year on an even weaker footing

Time to add a carbon tax, a fracking tax, raise healthcare costs, and then blame Republicans for slowing the economy.

STL_Vet on December 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Where’s my EBT card???….

PatriotRider on December 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Except for purchases of guns and ammo – those are through the roof.
What does that say?

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

To put it bluntly, if our betters in the feral government are establishing that it’s perfectly acceptable to steal property in crisis because it needs it, then what’s to stop the parasites from doing the same when they need it?

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

The morning after the election, my brother’s wife sent an email out to the entire extended family essentially declaring going Galt. Christmas will be about family time and celebrating the birth of Jesus. We aren’t exchanging gifts.

tom daschle concerned on December 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Best Black Friday, EVER!!!!! That’s all you peons need to know.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It’s “Friday Of Color”, you racist.

The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It’s only Dec. 10, 2012. Ain’t seen nothing yet.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Me and the wife took our toddler (is 18 months toddler?) to the mall for some running around and the place was dead. I originally told the wife I was avoiding the mall until after Christmas was over right after Thanksgiving. I hate heavy traffic. But there was hardly any traffic anywhere.

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Imagine what sales w/b without all the gov’t handouts.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

BTW, Where is the Fantastic economy the dear liar promised us?

It’s been 4 years, surely his geniusousness should have been able to pivot his considerable and immeasurable intellect into position and sweep away at the economic doldrums by now right?

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

By the way, I never understood how “People of Color” was acceptable. That’s exactly the same as saying “Colored People”, but if I called someone a “Colored Person”, I’d get crucified as a racist.

The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Exactly. Just bought myself a .22 rifle for Christmas (to be from my sons), and a bunch more .22, 7.62, and 9 mm ammo.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Take it to the bank. If Obama doesn’t turn it around in three years, this is going to be, well, a two-term thing.

STL_Vet on December 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Imagine how high it is now.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Right! Can’t say that. Even though their biggest lobby organization is the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I went to our local mall on Saturday and it was packed. I usually park in the lower forty with no one next to me, per instructions by The Husband, not an option. During the week, no problem.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

All could have been avoided if Romney did the impossible! Actually campaigned like an unapologetic conservative. Lets hear it for Romney, whose need to keep his views progressive torpedoed our nation!

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

What’s pissing me off though is even though gun and ammo sales are soaring, and Smith & Wesson reported record sales and profit last week, my S&W stock is DROPPING.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Well, maybe they all went to your mall. Well, made my travel much easier.

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Best Black Friday, EVER!!!!! That’s all you peons need to know.

Cindy Munford on December 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I could not have said it better myself. People are working harder to make their money go farther, one the deals dry up, so does the spending…

Brave new world and all…

Gatsu on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

18 months is prime toddling time. Also, a blast to watch at this time of year. Enjoy !!!
You’ll need some new sneakers next year.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Stock prices are based on future profitability projections. Might be that people see an end to the good times for the company.
I got rid of my S&W and got a Glock. S&W pissed me off when they said the entire warranty on the weapon would be voided if I lowered the trigger pull from their ungodly 15 lb down to a reasonable 8 lb. Thankfully, the dealership gave me a pretty high trade in value for it.

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

In a nutshell, your land of idiots!!!

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

It’s “Friday Of Color”, you racist.

The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

White is color.
Black is also color.
I guess we had color TV since the 30-ies…

Archivarix on December 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You’ll need some new sneakers next year.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM

She walked about 90% of the time. Even from the car. My wife always sees the kids in the strollers and comments about how dead their gazes are. I agree with her, let the kids walk when they can.

I chased her all over the stores. She loves hide and seek in the clothing sections. She also seems to have an affinity for the same purses as the wife. The $200 ones. She does not play with those lousy $50 ones.

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The malls around here(Katy & Houston) are about as busy as they are during the rest of the year, but department stores are dead since Thanksgiving week and weekend. I’m guessing people did their shopping around Black Friday and are done.

Doughboy on December 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Blame Booosh.

FlaMurph on December 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Ya – there’s a lot of people expecting Obumble to eliminate the 2nd Amendment, and therefore expecting gun manufacturers to lose most of their business. I just don’t see it happening – but I wanted to sell the stock to buy some more guns….
But its not just S&W stock. I’ve got a bunch of Activision Blizzard, and that’s also dropping even though their games sales and profits are very strong.

So far I’ve been very happy with my M&P9, and I’ve been considering an M&P15 – which the local Sportsmen’s Warehouse recently had on sale for $900.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

And you can well imagine that at some point the dear liar will want to “protect” us all by taking away our guns.

He’s just waiting until the right kind of crisis comes along to justify it.

After all, if it’s okay for he and his regime to steal, why wouldn’t be okay for his followers to do the same?

He said once that some folks eschew violence because they’ve already go theirs.

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

and get out of the malls and STOP paying retail.

FlaMurph on December 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

No way my wife would waste such prime cargo capacity on a perfectly healthy child.
Plus, with a good walk under the Huggy, ours tended to sleep well.

You’re on your own with the purses. Mine went after sunglasses.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Don’t sweat it. The Mayan Apocalypse is coming soon so we won’t have to worry about this stuff anymore.

bbinfl on December 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

He’s just waiting until the right kind of crisis comes along to justify it.
Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Yup – and as I’ve heard many others say, when they come to my door, the answer will be “oh sorry, all my guns were stolen just this morning while I was at work – I just haven’t had a chance to file the police report yet, since you guys don’t respond to burglery calls anymore…..”

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Yeah, I am at the lower end of the buying scale at the moment. Working on getting my car ready for sale. Figure I can get 12,500 out of it as is, or spend $2,000 and maybe get $15,000 which is not really worth the effort.

Activision is a surprise in that its stock is falling. But I think that happens frequently in the winter months as they do not release much right at the holidays…

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Obama: America on Hold.

tech_sass on December 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Why does even the right-leaning media keep perpetuating this myth of the U3 unemployment rate? It’s just a buncha BS that’s gonna bite everybody in the butt someday. Tens of millions of people don’t have jobs therefore no money therefore no money to spend and da’ gubmint isn’t getting the tax revenues that they would get from those millions of unemployed persons that they ignore and leave out of the computation of the phoney propagandist U3 rate. It’s not hiding anything and that will become evident.

stukinIL4now on December 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

We are in the denial stage where everything will be the Republicans fault. This will happen until the left has nothing left to blame.

tomas on December 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

That’s what I don’t get. In the last couple months they’ve come out with Diablo 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops II (which grossed $1 Billion in 15 days), new World of Warcraft, and a bunch more; and their revenues are sky high. The company some of the most popular games on the market, is doing phenominally well as far as revenues and profits, and the registered online gaming income provides a solid future – no reason for the stock to be down.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You said it.

docflash on December 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Stockholm Syndrome – where the hostage begins to sympathize with his/her captor despite what the captor is doing to him/her.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Or battered wife syndrome – which is basically the same thing.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

What is Obama approval among Whites?

mnjg on December 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I just looked up the eligibility requirements for SNAP. One test for eligibility is “Resources.” The eligible individual can have only $2000 in “countable resources” (not including his home and, in most states, automobile or any SSI or TANF and most pension payments). Am I to conclude, then, that one in 6.5 Americans has less than $2000 in cash, savings and investments? Now that is truly scary.

SukieTawdry on December 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

SukieTawdry on December 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

There was an article that came out a few months ago that said 40% of people have less than $500 in savings.

tom daschle concerned on December 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

The more things get bad the better Obama looks. He’s a magic man.

earlgrey133 on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Or battered wife syndrome – which is basically the same thing.

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Sorry.
Just lazy and stupid people.
A product of our education system.
The vast majority of his support places getting things as more important than working.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Everybody sing “Have yourself a Depression Era Chrsitmas…”

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

and when many folks are depressed, they spend money…believe they call it ‘retail therapy’ or the like.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Just lazy and stupid people.
A product of our education system.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Not mutually exclusive.
But I was hitting more at the relative positions/situations and actions of Obumble versus the people (generally speaking).

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Ya – but most of that money goes to alcohol, anti-depressants, ice cream, and Alanis Morrissette CDs……
“oh yay, we’re getting a cat” (name that sitcom…)

dentarthurdent on December 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

astonerii on December 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

it must in the genes … she got that form her mom .. :D
see what you have to look forward to :D :D

conservative tarheel on December 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

bbinfl on December 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

We can only hope.

BigGator5 on December 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

The food stamp, welfare and unemployment benefit crowd will save the economy. It doesn’t need our help. My kind will get by on what we have already and wait for those receiving gumbint checks to make things all better before we come out to play.

Rockshine on December 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

These figures doesn’t sound like “Scrooge” to me:

Black Friday 2012 Online Retail Sales Rise 26% To $1.04 Billion: ComScore

Sunday, 25 November 2012 (2 weeks ago)

U.S. online retail spending on Black Friday surpassed the $1 billion milestone for the first time, researcher comScore Inc. (Nasdaq: SCOR) reported Sunday.

Online retail sales on the day after the Thanksgiving Day holiday rose to $1.04 billion this year from $816 million last year, an increase of 26 percent. As a result, it was the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012, comScore said.

To put this $1.04 billion figure into perspective, researcher ShopperTrak has estimated U.S. brick-and-mortar retail sales were about $11.20 billion on Black Friday.

bluefox on December 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

These figures don’t sound like “Scrooge” to me! Brick & Mortar sales weren’t too shabby either. Haven’t checked out Cyper Monday or Week in some cases.

Black Friday 2012 Online Retail Sales Rise 26% To $1.04 Billion: ComScore

Sunday, 25 November 2012 (2 weeks ago)

bluefox on December 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

These don’t sound like “Scrooge” figures to me, for the online or brick & mortar.

Black Friday 2012 Online Retail Sales Rise 26% To $1.04 Billion: ComScore

Sunday, 25 November 2012 (2 weeks ago)

The link wouldn’t post, but it’s ….onenewspage dot com

bluefox on December 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posts. Don’t know what happened. The first one didn’t post, nor the second. When the third one posted, the other two were not there. I have noticed that an additional URL has opened up on this thread and don’t recall that happening before. Between all of the ads and pop ups maybe some new formatting has taken place.

Most likely Townhall which none of my PC’s would work with:-)

bluefox on December 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

…I
HATE
KING
JUGEARS…!!!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It’s “Friday Of Color”, you racist.
The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

White is color.
Black is also color.
I guess we had color TV since the 30-ies…
Archivarix on December 10, 2012 at 3:00 P

Many years ago I caught a bit of the TV show “Julia” (Diahann Carroll played a nurse in one of the first TV series to have a non-white lead in a non-stereotypical roll*). In the piece that I remember some character’s gushy (white) aunt sat down with Julia and breathlessly said “Tell me all about being colored.” Julia’s reply was, “You tell me”. When the aunt looked astonished, Julia added “Well, white’s a color, isn’t it?” At which point both ladies dissolved into laughter.

*With the exception of “Amos and Andy”, according to Wikipedia. I would also kind of add “The Jack Benny Show” for while Rochester was technically a servant, he got over on Mr. Benny all the time.

Kevin K. on December 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM