Good news: Perpetual campaign turns Obama voters into world’s worst telemarketers

posted at 3:01 pm on December 10, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Come on, not even a mini-fridge to sell me? On the bright side, if anything can turn the country against the Obama brigades, telemarketing for taxes may be just the ticket:

Aiming to bring public pressure on Republicans to back higher taxes for the rich in the “fiscal cliff” fight, the Obama-Biden campaign today began urging supporters to join a local, online phone bank to help the president blast the GOP.

In an email, supporters are directed to a “Call Tool” where they are provided with somebody to call. Include is a telemarketing-style script to read.

A successful effort will then be tabulated on a “leaderboard” of callers.

“Today you will be calling fellow supporters with a message about extending middle-class tax cuts. Your job is to lay out the choice Congress is facing on keeping taxes low for the middle class, and encourage supporters to call their representative. You will be able to provide all the information,” said the memo emblazoned with the Obama-Biden campaign emblem.

There’s a script. Read it at the link so you can be prepared to swiftly hang up.

And, the DCCC is robocalling on the issue— an effort linked with its Patented New Tone GOPHostageTakers.com website:

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is continuing its offense on tax cuts for the middle class with robocalls in the districts of 35 House Republicans it believes are vulnerable on the issue.

The robocalls charge that the lawmaker at issue “could make sure Congress votes to extend tax cuts for the middle class and avoids the fiscal cliff, but he refuses.”

It’s a reference to the discharge petition introduced by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) last week to extend the Bush-era tax levels for the middle class but allow rates to rise for the wealthy. The petition will need 218 signatures to get to the House floor for a vote, and Democrats will be unable to achieve that majority without help from a few dozen Republicans.

This is the price of an ever-larger federal government involved in ever-more precincts of your everyday life, especially when that government fails to follow the law and pass a regular budget for three years, thereby setting up a fiscal crisis every couple of months. Enjoy!

I’m reminded of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett’s pitch in the Wisconsin recall election when he ran unsuccessfully against Gov. Scott Walker. It was a modified protection racket pitch. The gist was this: “Look, I know it’s been hell to be in a constant election for two years, with campaign ads running non-stop, people soliciting your signature for recall after recall. The perpetual campaign was perpetrated by my party (when we weren’t hiding out in Illinois) because you made the mistake of duly electing a Republican to the governor’s office. But we’ll stop this kind of thing and leave you alone as soon as you return us to power, and won’t that make everything nicer?” Luckily, Wisconsin declined to accept that trade.

I’m guessing as long as the United States is compliant and elects nothing but Democrats to national office, they’ll stop bugging you in your homes 24/7. Deal?

Credit for front page photo to tj scenes on Flickr.

Comments

Leading from behind.

UltimateBob on December 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

They better not call my wife.

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Why are they doing this? Everyone is for extending the Bush tax cuts … in fact the GOP wants to make them permanent.

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Saul bank.

Trusser13 on December 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

That’s why they made caller ID.

Akzed on December 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Democrats and their parasitic constituents are absolutely insane.

rplat on December 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Can any of our resident socialists tell me why they want to raise taxes on the so-called “wealthy”?

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Democrats and their parasitic constituents are absolutely insane.

rplat on December 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Does ObamaCare cover parasitic insanity?

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I think I would entertain a call. There is so many things to talk about that my wife wouldn’t do without a good showering…

Archivarix on December 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Here’s another indicator at how blind, fooled and stupid the US people are, from top to bottom.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Never has the word robocall been more appropriately applied.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

He ain’t the campaigner in chief for nothing

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Call Tools. Says it all.

DanMan on December 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

*Up next: Hypnotoad.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

At some point his followers are just going to throw up their hands and lament – weren’t we supposed to get all of this stuff for free and not actually have to do anything for it?

They expected to get all kind of goodies just for using up oxygen voting for the dear liar.

Even stealing for a living can take some work – that’s not what Obama Supporters bargained for.

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

What’s wrong with AmeriKa.

Fluke Obama and his minions, until they bleed, without tourniquets.

Don’t hang up. Send them to Hades.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Also, starve the Looters.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Screw this nickel and dime call bank stuff. I want a full blown telethon with Obamaphone Lady hosting.

Kataklysmic on December 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

When will these useful idiots figure out that they can organize into a union and demand — and easily receive with this administration — billions of dollars … and then become federal employees?

/Don’t give ‘em any ideas, dude …

ShainS on December 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Oh man, it’s bad enough to be flooded with calls before the election, but we need a break from it! I’m still getting calls from the 202 area code. I don’t answer them, and they don’t leave a message, but I assume it’s some Republican group asking for money. Maybe it’s these OFA clowns.

juliesa on December 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Pefect ending to the Obama bailout, fools!!!

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Edited for accuracy:

Non-Working families could face some tough financial decisions simply because of the Obamaeconomy

Republicans didn’t want to let us steal from ask the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans for now for pay their fair share What we’ve arbitrary decided to take from them at the point of a gun..

[IF YES]: Great. I’ll give you the number to call. Ready? This is for the House switchboard operator: 202-224-3121. When you get your representative’s office on the phone, just make it clear that you want your money taken from a small minority of the country.

Galt2009 on December 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Sorry. Wrong number. *click*

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

This is Obama’s way of telling the MSM that he is unhappy with their efforts on his behalf.

Why does he need them if he can just telemarket his program ?

Jabberwock on December 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I don’t understand.

I thought all of Obama’s supporters have said we’ve got a taxing problem, not a spending problem. If that’s the case, shouldn’t everyone chip in and pay more in taxes?

Why does Johnny Obama Supporter hate Planned Parenthood and the NEA? After all, without those taxes, those programs are sure to be gutted.

ButterflyDragon on December 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Tell them this

“Obama hates the Middle Class. Otherwise he wouldn’t meddle with the taxes. He fooled you all, morons”.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Over-reaching. You knew it was coming.

I have a feeling Obama will start with the strongest hand of the demagogue — “end tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans” — and with all the help of the media, with the GOP only able to offer a weak “ok, but only if you cut entitlement spending to the poor” — and still manage to make the country turn against his offer. All because he doesn’t know when to quit.

But I guess we’ll see.

tom on December 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“10% taxes paid across the board.

All need to bleed.

Otherwise, shut up and feed your stupid snout.”

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

had similar call other day.
I asked them if we could extend it for black people but not for white people.
person on phone was aghast I would suggest treating people differently.
so when I asked why they were advocating doing that they could not answer.
extend them for everyone or dump them for everyone.

dmacleo on December 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

There’s a much better solution than hanging up on them. Whenever pinheaded Obamatons called me during the campaign, I’d always act very enthusiastic and say, “Actually yes, I’d love to talk because I’ve been trying to get more information about (insert whatever stupid issue they referenced). I’m on the other line, will you hold on for one minute while I get off that call?”.

Then set the phone on SPEAKER (so you can hear them excitedly talk to their fellow pinheads about the prospect they found) and MUTE (so they can’t hear you laugh) and get back to your daily activities. My record was 7 minutes before they dejectedly hung up.

The reason this is better is because if I’d hung up they would have called 20+ more people in those 7 minutes.

Sometimes I actually miss the campaign . . . ;-)

SoRight on December 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I just created an account and indicated that I made calls to the first 10 people it told me about. Hopefully that will save those poor slobs from getting an actual call from an Obama groupie.

KS Rex on December 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Deal. I don’t have a land line.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

No hablo Ingles, lo siento.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I work with enough of them (at a fairly well regarded engineering firm) and have been at numerous such debates with them to see that their point of view is:

(a) the “rich” had it easy in terms of recovering from the recession because they had more money in investments with low cap gains taxes, so the higher taxes will be a way to “recoup lost revenue” (their words, not mine)

(b) a lot of them feel betrayed by the sole focus on supply side economics, which they jeeringly describe as “trickle down” policies – and hence this would be one way to level the playing field.

Frankly, I don’t think any of them have a concrete idea as to how this tax increase on the wealthy would translate into wealth creation. Also, I don’t see a lowering of taxes being a slam dunk in terms of job creation either, as a chart of marginal tax rates v/s GDP shows: http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/505c4fdcecad04d12e000031-960/top-marginal-tax-rates.png

So, to summarize, the mood of the country seems (at least to me) seems to be headed towards trying a mix of supply and demand side economics, and using the additional revenue from taxes to fund social programs which can thereby stimulate demand.

peter_griffin on December 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

peter_griffin on December 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Sorry – meant this image instead of the one I posted …

peter_griffin on December 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

If you have a little time, you can have some fun with telemarketers (these included) by trying to see how much time you can cost them. Time is money, and if they’re going to try to waste yours, it’s only fair to turn the game around! It’s the social-engineering equivalent to tar-pitting email spammers, and properly done, can be really very satisfying.

To do it well, you have to get into the role-playing frame of mind. Start by sounding genuinely friendly and interested, but after a few seconds of scripting, interrupt them politely for some valid-sounding reason (“Oh, can you hang on for just a minute, someone’s at the door”). Then wait a while, come back on line and apologize for the interruption. Prompt them to scroll back and start over “to refresh your memory”. Never go negative, always sound really pleased that they called you.

Then do it again, with a different excuse, and perhaps a more flowery return (“I’m so sorry to keep interrupting you, but I really do want to hear about xyz. But remind me again what you said at first…”). Stretch out the away-from-phone times, and experiment with putting them on hold for several or more minutes at a time while you go do something useful. Do not feel guilty, remember – they called you with an unsolicited call.

It can actually become quite an interesting little exercise. A challenging variation is trying to detour them into talking about what YOU want to talk about, for instance your recent (fictional) bladder surgery, or the boil on the cat, or your cousin’s divorce, just figure some way to very loosely tie them to the caller’s script so he continues to hope to get through it.

bofh on December 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Obamabots will get the idea that the GOP wants to raise taxes on the middle class. And they’ll believe it, too, because Obama never lies.

The Rogue Tomato on December 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

“Oh, DO fuck off, you pathetic dweeb.” CLICK

mojo on December 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

SoRight on December 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

You are so awesome! I never would have thought of doing that.

chelie on December 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

SoRight on December 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Doh! Beat me to it. Came to the thread late and missed seeing your posting until after I’d made mine. Well, great minds think alike, and all…

bofh on December 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Well, this is just further proof that the president has no idea how to lead, govern, or do any actual work, so what can he do? BS the people. That’s what he’s done his entire adult life. BS the people. And I’d had enough of his BS back in November and I thought, well, now that he’s been re-elected, he’ll start making up for all the months of BS’ing the people and actually DO SOMETHING. Nope, he’s back on the BS trail, has been for over a month now.
What a worthless piece of crap for a president we got. After he puts us in ruin in another 4 years maybe THEN people will wake up and elect an adult. The guy really disgusts me to no end.

scalleywag on December 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

darwin on December 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Because the president is full of BS. He walks it, talks it, breathes it, believes it, spreads it, relishes it. Frankly, I think the man is insane and has no idea what the truth is, only his BS.

scalleywag on December 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

BS is what we elect politicians for, apparently. Look no further than the primary occupations of the people we elect to higher office – they are primarily lawyers. Unlike the popular perception, I am not demeaning the legal profession in any way. However, it is a “service” job as opposed to a “technical” job – hence the stress is on “selling” a product as opposed to “creating” a product. If we had more business creators in our higher echelons of power, that may have produced leaders who “got stuff done”.

peter_griffin on December 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

It is time to follow the twitter example, hijack the telemarketing. Prepare our on script, sign up as a caller, then makes calls explaining how the president is holding our nation fiscal policy hostage!

PrettyD_Vicious on December 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

After the Nov elections and Obama won I wondered how it wasn’t more 2010 than 2008 and I thought that these people are able to show up for one day out of 4 years to get their stuff and so 2010 was a bridge too far but that it means the Obama zombies see their work as done (the mass of them). I thought now would be the time when people like ourselves have the greater numbers again and I am curious to see that the Obama people are trying to prevent what happened in 2009 when thier side went completely to sleep on the grassroots side.

Conan on December 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

And the answer from the loyal opposition….?

Buehler? Anyone?

PattyJ on December 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Heh – I recognize the phone in the home page pic. I had one when I was a kid. The bottom of it must have weighed well over a pound. You couldn’t talk on it for over a few minutes without your arm cramping up, and you couldn’t set it down, because that was the way you hung up!

Here’s a pic.

greggriffith on December 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Who, exactly is paying for these phone banks?

listens2glenn on December 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

…W H O…???

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Notice the message is not about avoiding drastic military cuts or even increasing taxes on the rich. The socialist left (proles & apparatchiks), ironically, despises the middle class (bourgeoisie.) The whole thing is a scam. No matter what, with O-care everyone’s taxes will be going up. The final plan is to have 2 classes, the uber-privelidged ruling class and the impoverished, dependent serfs.

ironked on December 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM