Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

CHRIS WALLACE: Let me just ask one question about what we will now henceforth call the Kristol scenario: Which is that they’ll end up passing the halfway cave, a limited cave on tax rates. That doesn’t avoid the fiscal cliff, does it?

BILL KRISTOL: It avoids the tax side of the fiscal cliff. There’s still a spending problem. Most of those cuts in spending are fine with me, except for defense. But there, the president seems to have no interest in us having a strong defense, and so again, I guess we can litigate that next year. There will be plenty of other opportunities to debate all these spending, defense and entitlement issues next year. My view is get the tax issue off the table, it’s the weakest one for the Republicans right now. Let the president own it and we’ll have a bunch of other debates next year.

***

Republican Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) told me Sunday on ABC News’ “This Week” that he is willing to accept tax rate increases as a component of a fiscal cliff deal, as long as Democrats put “significant entitlement reform” on the table.

“What we ought to be working on is the other 93 percent, because even if you do what [Obama] wants to do on tax rates, you only affect 7 percent of the deficit,” Coburn said. “What we have done is spend ourselves into a hole, and we’re not going to raise taxes and borrow money and get out of it.”

“And so will I accept a tax increase as a part of a deal to actually solve our problems? Yes,” he said.

***

“A lot of people are putting forth a theory – and I actually think it has merit – where you go and you give the president the 2 percent increase that he’s talking about, the rate increase on the top 2 percent – and all of a sudden the shift goes back to entitlements,” Corker said. “And all of a sudden, once you give him a top rate on the 2 percent it’s actually a much lesser tax increase than what he’s been talking about.

“I actually am beginning to believe that is the best route for us to take,” Corker said, “to again shift the focus to where it needs to be, which is entitlements.”

Via Gateway Pundit.

***

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) said Sunday that House Republicans should agree to extending tax cuts for the majority of U.S. taxpayers

The Oklahoma Republican said this would swing leverage over to Republicans in their negotiations with the White House to avoid going over the “fiscal cliff” — a set of massive tax increases and budget cuts that will go into effect early next year unless Congress acts.

“It’s quite the opposite. We gain leverage,” Cole said…

“We are not getting 100 percent of what we want, but we can get a lot. John Boehner is trying to focus us where it belongs, and that’s on spending restraint and entitlement reform because this revenue won’t come close to dealing with our fiscal problems,” Cole said.

***

On Sunday’s Face The Nation, former Senator Alan Simpson told host Bob Schieffer that he’ll cover happy hour for wealthy Americans who don’t believe their taxes will increase: “If anybody out there who is quote ‘rich’ doesn’t think taxes’ll go up, the drinks are on me.”…

Schieffer pressed him, asking if he thought Democrats would have to agree to some entitlement reforms, as well. Simpson answered affirmatively, calling entitlements “the engine on the train driving us to the cliff.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM

oh yeah….

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM

it sounds like boehner started yesterday at the white house….

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Wait a tic,spraking of taxing…hmmmm………Morsi says no taxes!

Al Arabiya English ‏@AlArabiya_Eng

#Mursi scraps tax raise on Egyptians and calls for ‘social dialogue’ http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/12/10/254324.html

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM

The DownUnder DJ Radio Prank story,still ongoing!

The Associated Press ‏@AP

Australian DJs behind royal hoax call tearfully apologize following nurse’s death: http://apne.ws/TOKHIK

Dec. 10 5:22 AM EST

==========

VIDEO of Interview

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM

DJ Updates:

More: King Edward VII hospital says radio station did not speak to anyone in hospital’s senior management or media relations – @SkyNewsBreak

4 mins ago by editor
=========================

Australian media group Southern Cross Austereo cancels show of controversial hospital hoax call DJs – @NBCNews

6 mins ago by editor

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Thats speaking,not(spraking)..le ugh!

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Second look at moving to Egypt?

esr1951 on December 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM

When we say “entitlements” we mean government jobs and agencies right?

Mr. Arrogant on December 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Well,ahem,looks like Ed is getting snow boinked!
(snark)

The Associated Press ‏@AP

Blizzard, heavy storm dumps at least 16 inches of snow on Twin Cities; flights canceled: http://apne.ws/YTlsZN -RAS

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Second look at moving to Egypt?

esr1951 on December 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM

esr1951:

Oh,I owe you a apology,for not responding,
on QOTD,a week or so ago,anywho….

..good gawd,Sryia/Libya Part two coming!:)

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Hey, I have an idea.
I see Drudge is reporting that China is buying up a bunch of stuff in the US. They’ve already purchased a large movie chain and God knows what else. Now they’re buying up solar industries or whatever. Probably other things we don’t even know about yet.

Why not just sell several of our government agencies to the Chinese? Let them buy the buildings and take over complete funding? They could even fly their flag out front and change the names. Instead of the EPA… it could be the PRCEPA (The People’s Republic of China Environmental Protection Agency).
They could even provide their own security and enforcement.

It would save us so much money and we’re going in that direction anyway.

JellyToast on December 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM

“It’s quite the opposite. We gain leverage,” Cole said…

Or you are seen as weak, spineless and easy to be walked over… the MFM puts glory on the Democrats for making you cave, then doesn’t put any pressure on the D’s for ‘spending reform’ and makes the R’s look like scrooges who want to cut granny’s SSA.

Haven’t these bozos learned ANYTHING about the duplicity of the MFM over the past two decades?

ajacksonian on December 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Paulnuts are fun, in a spoiled child sort of way.

They don’t have the numbers their publicity suggests

They wouldn’t support the republican nominee because he wasn’t to their liking

They helped to get 0bama elected

With all of that, they still demand that the republicans do it their way.

Yeah, such petulant non-supporters.

cozmo on December 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Apparently not aJacksonian

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM

statist. At least Resist We Much is an ally even if she doesn’t like me. You’re not.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM

…so I’m a statist?…well!…at least I know… I’m not an azzhole…something, you haven’t figured out yet…after all this time!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

No James Coburn is he!

Sherman1864 on December 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Read KJs blog.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I just have to say that I am at P+16 and my nips are tingly. Congratulations me?

I hope so.

Wouldn’t be able to tell family for another 13 weeks with my history. So you all are my only sounding board until I get a blood test.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Okay, here is how much of a dude I am. When I first read this I thought you were thinking you had prostate cancer. I was like, why are his nips tingly? Glad to know you don’t. Congrats! You know what caused you to get pregnant don’t you Missy? Ha!

Bmore on December 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

…so I’m a statist?

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

That’s the impression I’ve gotten. Most of the time you seem to just make snarky comments or chit/chat, as I seem to recall, but the few times I’ve actually read something political of yours you have been a defender of RINO’s and the GOP statutus quo.

I’m not an azzhole

Then why do you act like one? All I was doing last night was talking about political strategy, and without provocation you said, in reference to me:

…oh my gawd!…whatapainintheass!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM

And that’s just the latest example, you have attacked me for months without provocation because you disagree with my politics. In fact you are an a-hole. But that’s OK with me, there’s no law against it, you can be that way if you want. I would like people who profess to support small government to be my allies, but you have not been a defender of freedom and liberty, you have been a defender of the status quo.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

…no!…you’re a fluking boor!…you have the memory of a goldfish!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM