Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

CHRIS WALLACE: Let me just ask one question about what we will now henceforth call the Kristol scenario: Which is that they’ll end up passing the halfway cave, a limited cave on tax rates. That doesn’t avoid the fiscal cliff, does it?

BILL KRISTOL: It avoids the tax side of the fiscal cliff. There’s still a spending problem. Most of those cuts in spending are fine with me, except for defense. But there, the president seems to have no interest in us having a strong defense, and so again, I guess we can litigate that next year. There will be plenty of other opportunities to debate all these spending, defense and entitlement issues next year. My view is get the tax issue off the table, it’s the weakest one for the Republicans right now. Let the president own it and we’ll have a bunch of other debates next year.

***

Republican Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) told me Sunday on ABC News’ “This Week” that he is willing to accept tax rate increases as a component of a fiscal cliff deal, as long as Democrats put “significant entitlement reform” on the table.

“What we ought to be working on is the other 93 percent, because even if you do what [Obama] wants to do on tax rates, you only affect 7 percent of the deficit,” Coburn said. “What we have done is spend ourselves into a hole, and we’re not going to raise taxes and borrow money and get out of it.”

“And so will I accept a tax increase as a part of a deal to actually solve our problems? Yes,” he said.

***

“A lot of people are putting forth a theory – and I actually think it has merit – where you go and you give the president the 2 percent increase that he’s talking about, the rate increase on the top 2 percent – and all of a sudden the shift goes back to entitlements,” Corker said. “And all of a sudden, once you give him a top rate on the 2 percent it’s actually a much lesser tax increase than what he’s been talking about.

“I actually am beginning to believe that is the best route for us to take,” Corker said, “to again shift the focus to where it needs to be, which is entitlements.”

Via Gateway Pundit.

***

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) said Sunday that House Republicans should agree to extending tax cuts for the majority of U.S. taxpayers

The Oklahoma Republican said this would swing leverage over to Republicans in their negotiations with the White House to avoid going over the “fiscal cliff” — a set of massive tax increases and budget cuts that will go into effect early next year unless Congress acts.

“It’s quite the opposite. We gain leverage,” Cole said…

“We are not getting 100 percent of what we want, but we can get a lot. John Boehner is trying to focus us where it belongs, and that’s on spending restraint and entitlement reform because this revenue won’t come close to dealing with our fiscal problems,” Cole said.

***

On Sunday’s Face The Nation, former Senator Alan Simpson told host Bob Schieffer that he’ll cover happy hour for wealthy Americans who don’t believe their taxes will increase: “If anybody out there who is quote ‘rich’ doesn’t think taxes’ll go up, the drinks are on me.”…

Schieffer pressed him, asking if he thought Democrats would have to agree to some entitlement reforms, as well. Simpson answered affirmatively, calling entitlements “the engine on the train driving us to the cliff.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Grind away Axe, or should that be chop?

;)

I am bemused and amused.

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM

autotonsorialist

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM

cheiloproclitic

its a real word.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else’s misfortune.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Way better. It can never be translated…thus, it is an adopted word.

Schaden

Freude

Vorfreude – sure, you could call it anticipation, but it’s way more than that.

Raison d’être – never the same when translated

Same with mise-en-scène, mise-en-place

Dummkopf

Sturm und Drang

Best of all

Götterdämmerung

Good thing – all languages have them.

Favorite one in English:

idiosyncrasy

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

City Of Night – Pink Martini

thatsafactjack on December 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM

O! Speaking of which, I left Pink Martini for you the other night when you were working on your best-selling novel, or perhaps doing something with cinnamon. I’ll try to link it if I can get there . . .

PS: I’ve got storms and an increasing connectivity issue. I may lose you guys.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

LOL!

Tut tut!

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

La dolce vita

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Where’s the Scrabble board?!

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ok Everyone knows that snails and slugs are slimy and slippery.

Ever step on one and almost break your neck from sliding unexpectedly?

Well if they are so darn slippery how do they climb straight up walls without sliding down?

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Obama, the Looters, from the left to the right, and the stupid moochers don’t give a darn.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM

They’ll care once the Democrats are forced to cut them loose after the debt cap has been reached. : )

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

idiosyncrasy

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

That was a really nice post. Hope Spark sees it.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Hello my fellow callipygeans, or those with well shaped buttocks.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Ok Everyone knows that snails and slugs are slimy and slippery.

Ever step on one and almost break your neck from sliding unexpectedly?

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

viscosity

the property of a fluid that resists the force tending to cause the fluid to flow.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I sawed it. Schad has a big brain.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

It’s because they ain’t slippery. They’re sticky and icky, so slip them a mickey otherwise Ricky will flicky them on to you!

Yeah, quite a stretch, but not as much as one a Democrat might do if you put salt on them…

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

The rheological properties of Slug mucus is an interesting topic.

More research is needed.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

If there are any XY’s on this board with such backsides, I don’t want to know anything about it…

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Try glass, it’s a gas, man – liquid sand.

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Never utilized enough. Most people, self included, don’t make enough use of what they are gifted with.

Thanks for all the smiles, especially in these insane times.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

All an itch really wants is a scratch.

Now itches are dastardly. When you scratch them they turn right around and itch some more. So what do you do? You scratch again into a positive feedback loop that snowballs into a flurry of itch-scratch stimulus-response behavior until your flesh is raw.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Boehner and the establishment GOP desire most of the same things Obama and the Democrats do. They all want to borrow, print and spend more money and increase their power at the cost of our freedom and liberty. If that weren’t true they would do the right thing and cut up the credit card. That’s what the tea party was all about.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Oh, Schad, you replied to it. It was being forced to repeat its posts verbatim in the vain hope that someone would reply to him. “I defy a single Republican to detect the flaw in my awesomely awesome TruConLogic©!!!”

Next time, leave it to banging on its high chair with a spoon with one hand and flinging Fruit Loops across the room with the other while everyone just goes about their business. You know, just like our parents did when we were tots.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I am old enough to not care. And I have moved my money to Canada via mutual funds. The young and the parasites voted for this shallow idiot. Let them live off welfare, the road projects to come, and food stamps that have ever decreasing choices. Then we can all be like Obama’s last Chicago housing effort… a dump.

pat on December 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Or just give them some beer.

They’ll slide…

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Why do you constantly try to put words in my mouth? I never said the word “defy” or anything similar. All I did was ask if anybody saw the flaw in what I was saying? I was inviting a discussion about my idea. Do you have a problem with that?

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Yeah, which I’m behind in theory… But in practice, we all know it will just be an excuse to inflate the money supply and force tax increases on us. because spending cuts DO NOT HAPPEN.

Timin203 on December 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I could not get the other 4 members of our city council to cut anything this year. They increased the budget again. But, I am trying to talk all of them into not spending the entire budget this year. Decision by decision, line by line, I am making them at least think about the money instead of just approving everything. And we are coming in $40,000 under budget as of Nov 30; not bad for a town of 200. Hopefully when we set budgets next time, we can lower the property taxes.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Dearest RWM, to tell you how much I like your brain w/b the ultimate exercise in futility and redundancy.

However, know this – FR has been on HA for way longer than most of us and is a very nice person. The D/Rs have driven him (I assume is a him) into a near state of desperation.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

NeoCons, SoCons, TrueCons, FauxCons –

I’m Every Woman

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

We need a conservative Ideologue who cares more about the country than his politics.

***crickets……***

Starlink on December 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM

There we about 4 of them. Huelskamp et. al. (Huelskamp is my Rep). They are being punished by Boehner.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Or just give them some beer.

They’ll slide…

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Indeed, right into it :)

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Well, I think I have reached my antipode for the day here, and so I leave, hopefully not at an apogee compared to others, but at least a zenith for the evening.

Au revoir!

Logus on December 10, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

The strategy I laid out here tonight is similar to the strategy that I laid out during the debt ceiling debate that the people who commented here at HA at the time really liked. My ideas are sound and open to debate, if you have an honest disagreement with me, what is it? If you don’t have an honest disagreement then you are just being a jerk, which is your prerogative if that’s the kind of person you are.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

It is called paraphrasing someone and people will respond to you when — and if — they desire to do so. Repeating the same shyt in posts every few minutes hoping to get someone to talk to you just reeks of DESPERATION.

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I’m well aware of FR and its history. I’m also familiar with its weapons of mass distraction debating tactics and attempts to cloak itself in victimhood. I was involved with it up close two days ago.

See: http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2012/12/08/maybe-its-time-for-a-refounding-of-the-conservative-movement/

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I just have to say that I am at P+16 and my nips are tingly. Congratulations me?

I hope so.

Wouldn’t be able to tell family for another 13 weeks with my history. So you all are my only sounding board until I get a blood test.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

And you’re welcome to ignore me all you wish. The people whose opinions I respect don’t engage in such childish games. I’m perfectly happy stating my opinion for the sake of posterity without a single challenge because I know the truth, which is that you are just a jerk and that you don’t have any constructive criticism of my ideas.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I just have to say that I am at P+16 and my nips are tingly.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

O dear God — achievement of another level of weird hitherto unimagined here at HA.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I have not restated the same thing over and over, I am building on my previous posts and expanding on the details of the strategy, laying out my case. You are just being a jerk. Do you have any disagreement with my strategy? Do you agree with it? Or are you just going to be a jerk?

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I hope so.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

*deep breath*

Sorry. Caught off guard. As I turned my eyes to the screen, of all the things I was expecting,

I am at P+16 and my nips are tingly

was not on the list.

Congratulations.

I would ask you about the second part but I have to go walk around a little.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM

(I might be pregnant.)

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

If she’s unfair to you, you are not being fair to her there. Resist makes her arguments, usually in exhaustive detail.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

attempts to cloak itself in victimhood.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

You lost that debate as I recall, that’s probably why you didn’t link to a specific comment but just the thread. What I recall is that I stated the fact that I consider myself a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, who became an independent because of the two Bush’s, and you attacked me with a very rude post and told me that you had no sympathy for me or something to that affect, and I said I never asked for your sympathy. Then you said inferred that I had and that I was claiming victimhood like a liberal, neither of which is true, but I explained that just like everybody else here, I am in fact a victim. My future is being doomed by our corrupt politicians from Washington DC and young people are being turned into indentured servitude. I also pointed out that as a Ron Paul supporter I was cheated by the GOP establishment and disenfranchised, so I have no representation in government due to foul play. But I never claimed victimhood status or whatever you are trying to claim. You are just a lying jerk.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Ok. Your secret is safe with us. Maybe you could name your secret sparky or scrumpy.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

…Then I asked you if you think you’re being victimized by the government, if you are happy with the status quo.

My recollection, Resist We Much, is that you lost that argument before it even started.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM

(I might be pregnant.)

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Magic 8 Ball says.:

YES. You are. And Sparky is a good nick name.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Then you must be suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Old and Busted:

“I’m a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, therefor I’m an outcast and an independent.”

FloatingRock on December 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM

New Hotness:

“In fact I am a victim, the GOP establishment actively cheated and disenfranchised me during the Republican primaries. I have been denied representation in my government, which is transforming me into an indentured servant against my will and systematically taking my freedom and liberty away from me. If you think everything is just fine then you are probably part of the small percentage of elites who benefit from this arrangement.

FloatingRock on December 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Once again, I am providing the link to the thread so that everyone and anyone can read the ENTIRE debate in its entirety and in context so that there is NO misunderstanding or cries of my taking anything out of context:

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Magic 8 Ball says.:

YES. You are. And Sparky is a good nick name.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Sorry, can’t. My nephew’s 4-H calf is named Sparky.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

No, she’s being a troll who has taken a disliking to me for whatever reason and is attacking me instead of my opinions.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Sorry, can’t. My nephew’s 4-H calf is named Sparky.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

That’s funny. Ok anyway I pray everything goes your way.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM

But I am a victim. The Democrat and Republican Parties are stealing my future and giving the money to their crooked cronies and special interests! They are destroying my freedom and liberty and taking power over my own life into their hands!

First they came for the communists,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

FloatingRock on December 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Wow! An attempted weapon of mass distraction and a self-comparison to a real hero all rolled up in one post!

Let’s cut through the tears, snot, and bwaaaahs…

1. As for the first part of your post beginning with “But I am a victim. The Democrat and Republican Parties are stealing my future…”:

Listen, your games and lies may work on some people, but you are playing with Hiroshima and Nagasaki trying either on me.

You wrote: “I’m a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, therefor I’m an outcast and an independent.”

Where’s the reference to the Republican Party? There is none.

Where’s the reference to the Democrat Party? There is none.

Where’s the reference to “Democrat and Republican Parties are stealing my future and giving the money to their crooked cronies and special interests”? There is none.

Where’s the reference to “They are destroying my freedom and liberty and taking power over my own life into their hands!”? There is none.

2. You see, I know the Paulistinians. I’m something of an expert on Paul Pot and the Paulistians. You’re never “understood.” You’re the “true conservatives.” You are the only people speaking the “truth” and, as a result, are being punished by “the establishment, special interests, Wall Street, the NWO, Rick Perry, and everyone else that Alex Jones tells you killed Kennedy — both of them.” You’re the only “independent minds.” Because you are unshackled and blindly follow The Pot, you are called an “outsider.”

Are you saying you’re not a victim, that our government is on the right track?

FloatingRock on December 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

3. Nah, I’m not SAYING anything. I’m TELLING you that you are attempting to distract, lying, playing the victim of some BS “vast-anti-Ron-Paul-conspiracy,” and that I’m not going to let you get away with trying to claim that your post about being an “outcast” had anything whatsoever to do with the Republicans and Democrats “destroying your freedoms.”

I am TELLING you that YOU were not claiming to be a victim of the government or talking about the track upon which the government is on in your post.

Once again, you wrote: “I’m a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, therefor I’m an outcast and an independent.”

4. Lastly, as it pertains to your invocation of Pastor Niemöller’s poem and/or shameful self-comparison to him, AGAIN, your post to which I responded wasn’t about the government. You were whining about being an “outcast” because you are, allegedly, an oxymoronic ‘Reagan-Ron Paul Republican.”

Who, allegedly, made you an “outcast”? I’ve read numerous posts on Hot Air written by Paulistinians complaining that they are outcasts and are not treated “fairly” by other libertarians, conservatives and Republicans. Are you afraid that civilian libertarians, conservatives, and Republicans are going to come and git ya?

Evidently, Pastor Niemöller omitted a stanza. It should be inserted before the last…

“Then, the libertarians, conservatives and Republicans employed in the private sector, who believe that government is the problem and not the solution, came for FloatingRock and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t FloatingRock.”

Violin out.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

FloatingRock, I like you and try to give you room to maneuver. But I scanned the thread backwards in cursory fashion, just to see why she’s hot, and your last two posts start with you calling yourself a victim, literally, and the two before that you call Resist an “a-hole” and then walk it back to “jerk.”

. . . and it looks like The Reagan/Ron Paul comparison started it . . .

*sigh*

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

You are taking my statement out of context and misrepresenting my intent. Being a victim is different than claiming some special status for it, which I never have. You’ve never been a victim, Resist We Much? If so then you’re being a hypocrite. Is it OK with you that the government is stealing your freedom and liberty and has destroyed free market capitalism “in order to save it”? You don’t consider yourself a victim of crony capitalism that has corrupted our government and crashed our economy?

I grew up in a Republican Family and when I was a teen I liked and agreed with much of what Ronald Reagan said. I called myself a Republican then. That ended with Iran Contra, I agreed with the old Reagan who said never negotiate with terrorists, and I despised Bush because I thought he probably had more to do with it than Reagan did, so for that and other reasons I stopped calling myself a Republican switched to independent instead. That remains true to this day, but if Ron Paul had won the nomination I would call myself Republican again.

Therefor I called myself a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican in Response to Bill Kristol, and for that you jumped all over me without cause.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Sorry, can’t. My nephew’s 4-H calf is named Sparky.

cptacek on December 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

That’s funny. Ok anyway I pray everything goes your way.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM

It’s a compliment, Spark. :)

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM

We need someone with lady parts to talk to Cptacek.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Therefor I called myself a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM

A “Reagan/Ron Paul Republican”?

Didn’t Ron Paul compare Reagan to Stalin? Yes, he did.

Didn’t Ron Paul rake Reagan over the coals in his resignation letter from the Republican Party in 1987? Yes, he did.

As a libertarian and a registered Independent, don’t expect any violins from me, but please enjoy your victimhood status.

BTW, since Reagan = Ron Paul, I’m sure that you can provide me with a video clip of the former ranting and raving about “pink money” as the latter has.

Eooooo-weeeee, that pink money is gonna gitcha!

Resist We Much on December 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We need someone with lady parts to talk to Cptacek.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I know, right? I was thinking that. Estrogen makes me light headed, and you saw me faint when she first sat down! What the hell? Nips tingly? I don’t even know what that means! I don’t want to know what that means!

I want to go watch football — and I don’t even like football.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM

*Tell her to come back tomorrow — not that she has to leave tonight — tell her to come back tomorrow when Cindy & Jackie & Gopher, etc. are what with the chit-chat. I;m scared to go over there. Take her a beer. Can they have beer?

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I’m glad that you read the thread so that you could see how things unfolded. First, he complains about being made an “outcast” for being a “Reagan/Ron Paul Republican.” Then, when called on that, he claims he actually meant that the Republicans and Democrats, along with their crony capitalist and special interest buddies, are stealing his liberties and freedoms. I agree with him on the merits of what is happening in the government, but that was NOT what he meant by his post and to then twice call himself a victim while getting offended when I say that he is acting like a liberal cloaking himself with the mantle of victimhood is rich.

Maybe, FloatingRock will tell us who he voted for in November or if he voted for POTUS at all. If he voted for Gary Johnson or stayed home, then he really needs to STFU about what’s going on because he — like many others — had a chance to, at least, stop Obama.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Nope. No beer. But you are right Cindy, gg, Jackie, 4Grace, B9 can all talk about there lady stuff to help our friend.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

and your last two posts start with you calling yourself a victim, literally,

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I know, but in the proper context, read forward, that was the end of the conversation when I was responding to Resist We Much’s attack. I was responding to her with the same response I made above here, that all of us are victims, that’s why most of us are hear, it’s a big part of politics, is people trying to not be victimized. I listed a few ways that I’m a victim and a few that all of us are victims to explain that we’re all victims, but that I never claimed victimhood privileges, as she alleges.

What happened in chronological order is that in response to Bill Kristols article about remaking the conservative movement, I explained why I liked Reagan and Ron Paul but not the two Bush’s or the GOP establishment, which Reagan also opposed. And in fact the GOP establishment changed the rules at the Republican National Convention in Florida, recently, that allows them to change the rules during the primaries. If those rules had existed when Reagan was in office then he could not have won the Republican nomination, the GOP establishment certainly would have stopped him.

So in that context, I said:

“I’m a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, therefor I’m an outcast and an independent.”

FloatingRock on December 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM

And for that Resist We Much attacked me and Ron Paul and implied that I had claimed victimhood status, which isn’t what I had intended at all.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Looks like we have had a pregnant pause in the action.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

We need someone with lady parts to talk to Cptacek.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM

LOL! I’m a lady and I’ve had a baby, but I still didn’t know what P+16 meant! I just saw two pink stripes or something like that.

cptacek, CONGRATULATIONS! I was only able to keep from telling anyone for two days, so I imagine 13 weeks is going to be torture for you! I hope everything works out for you. Would this be your first?

Night Owl on December 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I think that the real reason you attacked me in the other thread is because I indicated I like Ron Paul.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Looks like we have had a pregnant pause in the action.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Kind of exciting, when you think about it. We might be having a baby. It’s like being in a Hugh Grant movie.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM

LOL! I didn’t start out by “attacking” you. Ron Paul compared Ronald Reagan to JOSEPH STALIN and trashed him without mercy when he RESIGNED from the REPUBLICAN PARTY in 1987. I merely pointed out that the “Reagan/Ron Paul Republican” label is an oxymoron.

I do, of course, LOATHE, weak and whiny men, but then I’m used to having bigger balls than 99.9% of the men that cross my path and having to step over them in 4″ Louboutins.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM

LOL! I didn’t start out by “attacking” you.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Well technically you did a little bit at the beginning, in context you were basically mocking me for being a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, but then you attacked me more directly in the middle, implying that I was asking for you sympathy, which I never had. When I responded that I had never asked for your sympathy, you redoubled your attack and refused to listen to reason.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I would attack you for putting Reagan/Paul together. :)

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I’m afraid to ask this, but — might you respond to entreaty? FloatingRock is in a metaphysical corner, hunkered down, and we were actually making some progress. :) Up to you. Not compromise, not asking that — just — a little room to untangle his/her own knots. Long game stuff.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Tedious personal feud. Nitpicking rebuttal. Tortured attempt at piss-elegant smash serve involving “bliss,” “glee,” “elixir” and “relish.” Also, too, “uncork.”

steebo77 on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Nope, but I think the reason that you believe that is the real reason that you wrote this:

I’m a Reagan/Ron Paul Republican, therefor I’m an outcast and an independent.”

Paulistinians are always whining that they are treated unfairly, mocked, cast out, blah, blah, blah.

Paulistinians need to suck it up and grow a pair already. I’m tired to their “You don’t ‘understand’ us”-”We’re the ‘true conservatives’”-”We’re the only people speaking the “truth” and, as a result, are being punished by “the establishment, special interests, Wall Street, the NWO, Rick Perry, and everyone else that Alex Jones has told us really killed Kennedy — both of them”-”We’re the only ‘independent minds”-”We’re ‘unshackled’”-”Because of all of these conspiracies, we are treated as ‘outsiders’” routine. It’s getting soooooooooooooo tiresome and old.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 AM

step over them in 4″ Louboutins

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Ah. And now she’s just messing with us.

*sigh*

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM

If you say so, but then a lot of “free-market socialists” and “libertarian-socialists” get pizzed off at me when I call them “jumbo shrimp.”

I, SPECIFICALLY, said that you did NOT ask for sympathy. Go read the thread.

Finally, some advice: Don’t ever accuse me of failing to listen to “reason,” especially from a Paulistinian. I listen to Alex Jones so most of my readers don’t have to.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Anyway, I don’t recall ever offending you, Resist We Much, but if I did in some way let me know and if it was unintentional perhaps it is worthy of an apology. You seem to have taken a disliking to me and/or Ron Paul, but I think you should reconsider the possibility that this was a misunderstanding, perhaps I could have been more clear in some way in the other thread. Or we can agree to disagree. Probably nobody else here cares anymore and if they do they can go read the thread and make up their own minds.

But even if you don’t like me for whatever reason you should give my ideas some consideration because once upon a time in the tea party days my ideas were very popular and many of them original, as far as I know. Unlike 99% of the GOP pundit class, I actually predicted the ’12 presidential election. Also, in ’10 many people here were pretty sure we were going to lose, (they though it would be like what happened in ’12), but I knew that we would win.

I actually have good, workable ideas that would fix government, and I believe in freedom and liberty. We should be allies.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM

For you, anything.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 AM

That’s a documented fact. I have been made unwelcome in the Republican Party. I have been cheated out of representation; disenfranchised. Not only that, but the GOP has changed the rules that govern the primary process, granting themselves the ability to change the rules of the game in the middle of the primary. The simple truth is that the GOP establishment opposed Reagan as well as Ron Paul and the rule change supposedly to stop Ron Paul also would have stopped Reagan. That is unacceptable to me, the Republican Party is corrupt and cannot be saved because our candidates can’t win without GOP establishment approval. Only GOP establishment candidates need apply. The Republican Party is a lost cause.

But I am not asking for your sympathy or anybody else’s, I’m saying that we, those who still believe in limited government, need to take control of our own destinies and throw out the corrupt elites who have bankrupted our nation and corrupting our government, markets and just about everything.

We have to change course, the status quo is unacceptable. It’s time for us to take matters into our own hands, and since the GOP has changed the rules to ace us out, we have to start a new party.

I’m not arguing that we should be weak, like a victim, I’m saying that we should be strong and save America.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Please let the other thread go. :) Go back to spending policy for a while.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Having a Baby

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Looks like we have had a pregnant pause in the action.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

This pause might be from radiation.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Bill Whittle – Unserious People

rayra on December 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Please let the other thread go. :) Go back to spending policy for a while.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM

It’s the only sensible, responsible, moral plan on the table. You cut up the credit cards, capping the debt ceiling, but give the Democrats some leeway to raise taxes or cut spending to balance the budget.

The Democrats will battle amongst themselves, some wanting to gut the military, other factions realizing that without a centrist approach their victory will be short lived. There will be war in the Democrat Party, for a change, as they are forced to confront the reality that our nation needs to face in order to save our kids futures.

But we have to play fair, the American people expect us to take a balanced approach. Clearly the most responsible thing to do is to cut the debt limit. $16 trillion is a catastrophe waiting to happen, the leading edge of which is already pressing down on us and ruining too many lives.

Of course the Democrats are going to demand that the debt ceiling be raised, and Republicans are going to demand it be lowered, for the sake of the children, and if worst comes to worst we’ll compromise in the middle and cap it at it’s present level.

And we’ll keep the American people appraised at every point that the only real power we have is to cut up the card, but that we’re not going to get in the Democrats way.

If we have to slip a little, we can agree to raise the debt ceiling half as much as it would have otherwise, and let the Democrats balance the budget in a few installments. We can give them some time, let them do half or a third this year. If they need some time to balance the government books then we can give them some temporary extensions of credit.

The GOP should exercise the only power they have, the power they were sent there to use, IMO, to cut up the credit card and stop the bailouts, and if they do they will occupy the moral high ground, not the Democrats. The Democrats will control the government, they can complain all they want but they’ll have to get to work and will be too distracted to worry about anybody but their own internecine warfare.

GOP pundits have claimed that they really, really want to cut spending and balance the budget, honest, but they can’t because it would be political suicide.

Well if that’s true, here is a safe way for them to do it. Sure, Republicans won’t like how the Democrats balance the budget, or make an installment, but Boehner is spineless anyway so it won’t much matter, and if the Democrat party implodes then the GOP or a third party, if necessary, will be their to pick up the pieces and balance it the right way.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 3:46 AM

rayra on December 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM

In fact, when the history of our time is written, they’ll probably call it the Age of the Unserious, a time of approaching fiscal disaster courageously led by a man on perennial vacation — this time back in Hawaii, where he spent his dope-smoking, slacker life of leisure, while most of us serious people were out working to bank the money that he and the rest of these unserious people have just spent.

Brilliant. Must see TV. Reposting. :)

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 3:46 AM

But the Democrats can’t balance the budget at all. Tax increases only give them 1/10 what they need; the only way they could balance the budget would be through spending cuts.

(You have to see rayra’s video, Rock. You’ll enjoy it I think.)

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Brilliant. Must see TV. Reposting. :)

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Sounds good to me, thanks for the link.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM

No, they’ll cut spending, I think, or else they’ll commit political suicide, but they will have to fight an internecine war to do it.

And even if you’re right, we can fix it in two years or less after the Democrats have been run out of town.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM

K. Another problem, though, is that you presuppose the Democrats want to balance the budget. Some people think it’s pure Alinsky realignment; that they are tearing things down on purpose. I think they are just trying to get to tomorrow, one day at a time, and hoping that economic recovery (and inflation) grows us enough (and devalues our currency enough) to make the problem go away. It’s criminal negligence or insanity, but I think that’s what they’re doing. We’re bankrupt today, but tomorrow the GDP will be greater, etc. Anyway, they seem to have no interest at all in balancing the budget to begin with.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012

…oh my gawd!…whatapainintheass!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM

They won’t have a choice but to raise taxes and/or cut spending if the debt ceiling isn’t raised and the Republicans otherwise letting the Democrats have their way. The Democrats only out, I think, is basically a scorched earth strategy. They can refuse to do anything at all, just let America burn—except that they will occupy the lowest, most indefensible ground. They will basically be saying that if they can’t keep stealing from children then they are going to let America crash and burn, take their ball and go home. If they do that, (and Republicans actually make an effort to counter it), then that’s the end of the Democrat Party, I think. They will be blackmailing the country, holding America’s children hostage. The GOP will be the defenders of the children and the adults at the table, they will occupy the high ground. If the Democrats throw a tantrum and won’t do their job even though the Republicans have publicly ceded control over how they accomplish the task, then Republicans can respond by offering to do it in their stead, if the Democrats will only agree to be similarly cooperative with GOP efforts than the GOP offered to be to the Democrats.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM

It looks like they are going to capitulate on the debt ceiling. I see what you are saying now. Everything in your cause and effect presupposes that they (the GOP) hold on the debt ceiling; that would force the Democrats to fight among themselves while cutting spending, and so on, and opens up the opportunities for the GOP to posture as you suggest.

We’ll find out in a minute here.

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 5:15 AM

…oh my gawd!…whatapainintheass!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM

*yawn* — So was Luke. And Zorro. But then, so was Vader.

FloatingRock = Kung Foo Panda? — or Tai Lung. No idea. Will probably be cut in half by RWM at some point — deservedly — before we can find out.

But we need people on the line, so . . .

I’ll be basking in the rain, covering the powder, and then temporarily evanescing into a cool, comfortable, dark almost-nothingness made almost entirely of 4″ heals.

No one else get pregnant till I get back.

Night, night crew! Morning, morning crew!

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 5:17 AM

K.

*poof*

Axe on December 10, 2012 at 5:19 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Your displeasure is my pleasure, statist. At least Resist We Much is an ally even if she doesn’t like me. You’re not.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM

so the caving begins but don’t come whining to us when the dems and dear leader do not do diddly squat on entitlements…it’ll be the war on old people come the spring with the lsm badgering the gop for killing grandma….

we’ve seen this before…these idiots really think the dems are going to work with them after this tax increase…

CRIPE

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 5:54 AM

At least Resist We Much is an ally even if she doesn’t like me. You’re not.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM

I don’t dislike you. I’ve just had it with the Paulistinians and their woe-is-me no one likes or understands us and we’re outcasts.

To paraphrase that great understander of wimmynesses, Coach Jimmy Dugan of the Rockford Peaches in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, a man truly in touch with his feminine side:

“Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There’s no crying! THERE’S NO CRYING IN POLITICS!”

Resist We Much on December 10, 2012 at 6:00 AM

***Alert *****

This ought to go over well..(sarc)

Egypt’s President Morsi gives army officers the power to arrest civilians – @AlArabiya_Eng

1 hour ago by editor
========================

Mursi gives military powers to arrest civilians ahead of mass rallies

Monday, 10 December 2012

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Their revenue= OUR money. My take.

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 6:34 AM

CRIPE

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 5:54 AM

cminaz:

Good Morning CMS,it appears,Corker,is applying pressure on Boehner!
——–:)
==============

Obama, Boehner meet to discuss ‘fiscal cliff’
By ANNE FLAHERTY and JULIE PACE
— Dec. 9 10:02 PM EST
*********************

The comments by Bob Corker of Tennessee — a fiscal conservative who has been gaining stature in the Senate as a pragmatic deal broker — puts new pressure on Boehner and other Republican leaders to rethink their long-held assertion that even the very rich shouldn’t see their rates go up next year. GOP leaders have argued that the revenue gained by hiking the top two tax rates would be trivial to the deficit, and that any tax hike hurts job creation.

But Corker said insisting on that red line — especially since Obama won re-election after campaigning on raising tax rates on the wealthy — might not be wise.

“There is a growing group of folks looking at this and realizing that we don’t have a lot of cards as it relates to the tax issue before year end,” Corker told “Fox News Sunday.”

If Republicans agree to Obama’s plan to increase rates on the top 2 percent of Americans, Corker added, “the focus then shifts to entitlements and maybe it puts us in a place where we actually can do something that really saves the nation.”

Besides getting tax hikes through the Republican-dominated House, Corker’s proposal faces another hurdle: Democrats haven’t been receptive to GOP proposals on the entitlement programs. Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., on Sunday was skeptical about proposals to increase the eligibility age for Medicare from 65 to 67. He said he doesn’t see Congress addressing the complicated issue of Medicare overhaul in the three weeks remaining before the end of the year.

“I just don’t think we can do it in a matter of days here before the end of the year,” Durbin said. “We need to address that in a thoughtful way through the committee structure after the first of the year.”

And hard-line fiscal conservatives in the House are holding fast to their position.

“No Republican wants to vote for a rate tax increase,” said Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, chairman of the House Republican Conference.
(More..)
=========

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM

wonderful

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 6:34 AM

another good one KJ

good morning to you both :)

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM

corker is gullible if he really thinks that…

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Their revenue= OUR money. My take.

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 6:34 AM

kingsjester:Exactly,and…Good Morning:)

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:45 AM

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM

corker is gullible if he really thinks that…

cmsinaz on December 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM

cmsinaz:

Lovely,and Team GOP will get crewed over,if they are gonna wait
for a Liberal Entitlement Cuts Impact Study!:)

canopfor on December 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Mornin’, y’all.

It’s actually not a question of if…it’s a question of when Boehner and the Moderates will cave.

kingsjester on December 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM