NFL Week 14 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on December 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

A number of you scoffed last week at my prediction that the Pittsburgh Steelers would beat the Baltimore Ravens on the road with Charlie Batch under center.  Too late you see my wisdom in picking that upset, and in almost getting the score right too. (Actually, I was questioning my own sanity while making that pick, so …) This week, though, Ben Roethlisberger returns, the Steelers are at home, and they face the San Diego Chargers.  This should be a good re-entry for Big Ben, and the Steelers should easily handle the 4-8 Bolts.  Steelers 28-17 over the Chargers.

By the way, be sure to watch this game on CBS at 1 ET.  If you keep an eye on the stands, you might see … me!  I’ll be at the game, and if I can find someone to paint my head to look like a Steeler helmet, I’m going to have a new Twitter avi.  Meanwhile, I do plan on live-tweeting the game, so be sure to follow me on Twitter.

Last week I went 4-2 on my picks to go 56-25 on the season.  Can I do better today? Let’s see:

• Bears at Vikings (1 pm, Fox) – Da Bears got beat at home last week, and have lost Brian Urlacher and have other problems on defense.  The Vikes play tough at home, and they need a win here to stay in the playoff hunt.  Vikes 31, Bears 21.
  • Cowboys at Bengals (1 pm, Fox) – Both teams are desperate for wins in order to keep their playoff chances from getting wiped out.  The Bengals aren’t especially good at home (3-3), and the Cowboys aren’t especially bad on the road (3-3).  The line has Cincinnati up by 3, but I’ll pick the Cowboys to win an upset, 27-24, perhaps in OT.
  • Ravens at Redskins (1 pm, CBS) – The Ravens still control the AFC North despite their loss to Pittsburgh last week, but it’s looking shaky.  They aren’t quite the same on the road as at home, and they’re coming up against RGIII and an improving Washington squad that matches up well against them.  I’ll pick the Redskins to put another dent in the Ravens’ momentum, 24-20.
  • Lions at Packers (8:20 pm, NBC) – I’ll be flying home while Bob Costas offers more of his wisdom on social issues, but this game should be a really tough-fought contest.  Detroit has had a disappointing season after a couple of years of improvement, and the Pack seems to be getting back on track, if I may offer a little poetry.  I think this will still be close, perhaps OT, with Green Bay prevailing 31-24.
  • Texans at Patriots (MNF, 8:30 pm, ESPN) – This should be a terrific game, and now that I’m out of school, I can watch at least some of it.  The Texans are undefeated on the road, and the Pats are 4-1 at home.  It’s usually a bad idea to pick against New England at home in the winter, but the Pats have already sewn up their division, and Houston hasn’t — and they need to make sure that the road to the Super Bowl doesn’t go through New England.  I’m picking the Texans in a shootout, 35-31.

Comments

Go Steelers!!!

CW on December 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ed Morrissey head painted for game

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Ed,

based on some of y0ur posts I doubted your sanity. Now I am sure.

you look like Lex Luthor after being wapped by Superman.

gerrym51 on December 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Miami shall be punished.

And Peter king can go eff himself.

BallisticBob on December 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Ed Morrissey head painted for game

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

He still needs someone to paint in the face mask.

Why do I have this feeling of impending doom about the Bears?

JimLennon on December 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

As a Ravens fan, it was difficult to watch the Steelers pull out last week’s game, but it had nothing to do with Charlie Batch and everything to do with injuries on the Ravens’ defense. Charlie may be a 3rd string QB, but he’s been in the league for 63 years, and he was playing against Ravens’ cornerbacks who aren’t yet old enough to shave.

Still, we should have won that game. And would have were it not for the fact that the Ravens’ have the worst coordinators in all of football. Dan Peas called a terrible game on defense and Cam Cameron should have been fired two years ago.

I agree with Ed though, we’ll likely lose again today. With more injuries on D, a mobile QG in RG3, and being on the road, the formula is set for another close loss.

The Ravens won’t get over the hump with our coaching staff. They just don’t have the killer instinct of a Dick LeBeau or a Bill Belichick.

BKeyser on December 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

“mobile QB

BKeyser on December 9, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Wow, it looks like there is a lot of global warming in Pittsburgh, no heavy clothing!

Cindy Munford on December 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Pittsburgh Dad shows some props to Charlie Batch.

reddevil on December 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM

No Washington for me, they play at the same time as the Jaguars. Oh, I forgot to look up if the tickets sold out since the hometown hero, Tim Tebow, will be here.

Cindy Munford on December 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Get your butt back out in that parking lot, mister. …and you call yourself a Steelers fan.

Ronnie on December 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Pappys Pigskin picks of the week.

Gun-em-down-town Grizzlies versus the Purple headed Norse gods from the Swampland. Norwegians lovin them some Grizzly steaks in the fire pit today. Vikes for da win.

Drunken Cowpokes at the doormat pussycats from up north somewhere. This one is tough both teams suck so often it’s hard to know. But that’s why I’m paid the big bucks to make these predictions. Tossup go with the meow mix for the win.

Purple crows versus the bipartisan insensitively named Native Americans (with none on team). RGXIVIII for the win. Though I’d like the DC types to never win a game ever again (until they balance the budget)……….which will be when hell freezes over.

Michigan pussycats from the Bankrupt city at the Cheesers from Liberal land. The Pack is back today. tie up the kitty cats.

Houston Texans (gosh what an original name, derps) versus the Bay State Libs. I can’t ever pick against Giselle. Patties will have their hands full today, and might lose this one. Brady just too much for the stupidly named squad from the Gulf.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

From Houston,did you see the Texans new letter jackets?Brings me back to high school.I think it’s a grand idea.

docflash on December 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

ugh. For some reason I have the worst time getting the picks to post on this particular thread every week. Let’s see if this one gets through.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Nice paint job there, Ed!

GO STEELERS!

Night Owl on December 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

J! E! T….oh, nevemind.

JetBoy on December 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

When Homeland Security gets done looking at my picks can they please release them?

Janet, I can email them to you directly every Sunday morning first if you’d like to take a gander before they get posted here.

Just let me know.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I do think you called that Monday night game, Ed! Our defense is better than New England’s so I see a shootout between Brady and Schaub with our better D giving us the edge. But even if we lose, our goals of winning the division and locking up first seed in playoffs is still quite possible.

cartooner on December 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM

docflash on December 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Cool, huh?

cartooner on December 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Texans all wearing letterman jackets.

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM

…Lions to lose!

KOOLAID2 on December 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Football, America’s version of Bread and Circus… Meanwhile as you guys cheer on the gladiators in the Amphitheatrum Flavium the God Emperor Nero Barackus Obamaus Maximus Damageus continues to set fire to the American dream. Why the Obama Administration keeps misreading the Arab spring.

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Magic 8 Ball says

The team that wins the coin flip will lose the game 51% of the time.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

OMG That’s funny.

SWalker has a good article everyone should read. Just click on his name.

He is not paying me to pimp for him although I would take a small donation.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

OMG That’s funny.

SWalker has a good article everyone should read. Just click on his name.

He is not paying me to pimp for him although I would take a small donation.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

ROTFLMAO… I’m a long time San Diego Charges fan… Bitterness at the whole game is all I have left for football. ;(

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

The snow is pouring out here, the snowmobiles have already gotten themselves a 60mph tune-up, and I’m having a nice scotch (because it’s noon somewhere) while the wife is making commercial sandwiches for lunch.

Bishop on December 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yep. Some of us can actually multitask.

CW on December 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Bishop on December 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

As a Southern Californian, I would call scotch, in the morning, when it’s snowing… ANTIFREEZE… ;)

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yep. Some of us can actually multitask.

CW on December 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Oh don’t get your jersey in a wad… It’s called gallows humor. If we can’t laugh about what Obama is doing to our country, we might as well roll over and die already. (did I mention I am a life long San Diego Chargers fan, so I am required by law to hate everyone who is enjoying football?)

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ed Morrissey head painted for game

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Hey, Ed, that look becomes you but why stop with just paint? After the game (and a few beers), you could have the helmet permanently tattooed on your head. That’s what a real Steelers fan would do. ;-)

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Here we go. I’ll try for a 4th time to post this. Odd, I got a “duplicate” entry notice once but nothing ever showed up. Must be the DHS filters again.

So here are my picks after they were cleaned up by the Internet gods.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sorry about that, Pappy. For some reason all three of your attempts to post the picks got locked down by the spam filter. I went ahead and approved the first one and just deleted the rest as they were duplicates. Sorry for the delay.

Jazz Shaw on December 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I resemble those remarks (about our name).

Go Bulls on Parade, crush Brady!!!

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

So here are my picks after they were cleaned up by the Internet gods.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I got all your picks via your 11:40 PM post above. Are there more you’re trying to post?

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

BKeyser on December 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Well Ray is coming back and they want revenge for last week.

I think if the Skins score somewhat in relation to the age of those Ravens’ headliners, it is over — and in more ways than one.

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I like the name Texans. The glory and majesty of that state will be well represented by that franchise.

The Texans won their first contest against the other team in the Lone Star State with poor #8 in a QB while facing E.Smith and a host of stars on the Boy’s squad. If you were there, you would know. Harbinger. They proved who the men were that day, I mean to tell you.

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Good Lord what has gotten into the Vikings? They are on fire!

gophergirl on December 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I obviously like the name, too, was just ragging ol’ Pappy. At first, I thought it a bit pretentious as a name, but over time it’s grown on me. But, I must admit that it fits best when you’re winning as we are now, not so much with a losing record.

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Good Lord what has gotten into the Vikings? They are on fire!

gophergirl on December 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Insane 1st quarter, huh??

Ugly on December 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

A Cowboy defensive play drank, and rolled his vehicle killing his teammate who was also in the vehicle. The player is charged with manslaughter.

Bob Costas to editorialize tonight on the proliferation of NFL players that own and drive cars and that those cars are the reason people are dying. He will decry how easy it is to walk in to a dealer and get a car the same day. Costas will imply that there needs to be more controls on the sale of cars, especially to the violent and aggressive men who play in the NFL. Journalists around the country will tut-tut over the death of the Cowboy and say that Costas has a point.

Mallard T. Drake on December 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

It’s usually a bad idea to pick against New England at home in the winter

Winter hasn’t even started here in New England yet, Ed. And based on the current weather pattern, it definitely won’t be winter in Gillette Stadium tomorrow night.

Game time forecast: Rain, with a temperature in Foxboro of 55 degrees. And it will have been raining for almost 24 hours by the time the game starts.

Del Dolemonte on December 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Peter King calls Costas critics “small-minded gun nuts”

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

King is as Hard Core Leftie as they come. I had to finally give up reading the last page of his Monday QB column because over the past 4 years because it sometimes would read like a DNC press release.

Del Dolemonte on December 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Jazz Shaw on December 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Surrrrrrrre.

Thank you Janet. :-)

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Chargers up 13-0 over the Steelers.

Own it, Edward.

muahahahahahaaaa

FlatFoot on December 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

LOL!! How bout that first half Ed?

abobo on December 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

With the way the professional football team on the field in Pittsburgh is playing today, you’d think they had a big emotional win over a SB contender with their third string QB last weekend and were party animals with the ladies who now need “Low T” therapy.

The Bolts are something like 0 for 14 in Pittsburgh so they will try hard to collapse in the second half.

Norv is a good coach, even by NFL standards, and I was always lost as to what went wrong for him.

The Eagles coach needs Bariatric surgery or having Ditka after him with his “Refrigerator” cure.

Mallard T. Drake on December 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Don’t give him any ideas.

Yes but he wasn’t driving a Volt or one of those ‘developing world’ 55 MPG CAFE average wonders which our King has decreed for us!

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

TXUS on December 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I had brand new TEXANS jerseys when they were losing.

Their QB better stay healthy.

Of course, I do that.

Lately, I have been wearing Raider and Dolphin stuff to work out in.

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

YO ED!!!! 15 points in 12 seconds???

abobo on December 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Chargers 27-3

lawl

FlatFoot on December 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Gogo BUTTFUMBLEMUCH!

Rode Werk on December 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Way to go Johnny Heisman Football!!

Gig’em!!!!!!!

txag92 on December 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Chargers 34-17 over the Steelers and 4 minutes left in the game.

Woooo. Eddy the GreekFAIL

…just like this blog ever since Michelle Malkin sold out to the highest bidder.

HotAir.com — Guaranteed Soft & SquishyOr Your Money Back

FlatFoot on December 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Yeah Vikings!

gophergirl on December 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

The Steelers are crushed at home today (along with their playoff hopes), and Ed is there to witness it in person, wearing his Hines Ward jersey.

Ah, the sweet taste of Steeler tears.

=P

Hot Gas on December 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Good for the Chargers, they have all the Einsteins out of the closets.

I’m sold.

The Chargers, Jets, Eagles and Panthers don;’t have to change a thing. They will win the next six or eight SBs. No question.

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Whether you are left or right, love or hate me and the guys on this thread, hear me now and believe me next week:

Never bet any pro sport esp. football.

I know some guy who offered California and a couple of other distressed states a way to eliminate their education deficit while attacking the crime machine known as illegal sports betting.

Arnold was a prince but rejected the idea, anyway.

I don’t know why big government doesn’t attack organized crime. I mean, they treat even slightly shady capitalists like war criminals and child molesters..

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’m sorry that Ed didn’t get to see a win.

Cindy Munford on December 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Ah, the sweet taste of Steeler tears.

=P

Hot Gas on December 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Cruel. Hilarious, but cruel.

Ugly on December 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Cruel. Hilarious, but cruel.

Ugly on December 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Last laugh.

It is hilarious to see a Super Bowl MVP with cropped tears on his cheeks.

He really did cry after some losses.

He was a bust sometimes.

He will probably have his enshrined in Canton.

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

IlikedAUH2O on December 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Assuming you saw Army’s Steelman yesterday. Now THAT worth a few tears (though the CBS’s focus on him was disturbing).

Ugly on December 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Faith Hill……….Best legs in the NFL!!

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

How about them Steelers! :-) Next week Ravens clinch division!

wepeople on December 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Costas is on right now. Apparently, he is willing to concede that it wasn’t the alcohol’s fault for Jerry Brown’s death. Or the use of a car. In this instance, he is saying that it was the football teammate’s actions that lead to Brown’s death. Last week it was the access to guns that caused the murder/suicide in KC.

Mallard T. Drake on December 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Peter King calls Costas critics “small-minded gun nuts”

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

And Peter King is just small nutted..

DevilsPrinciple on December 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Shortest Hot Gas NFL Thread Evah.

Saints D sucked big time. Mister Bean could have done better.

So, where’s the Monday Night Football Thread?

Del Dolemonte on December 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Yeah .. Packers ….. thank you for the fumble … really appreciate it ..
:D

conservative tarheel on December 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM

My team won 58-0.

Voter from WA State on December 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ditto.

Hawks firing on all cylinders. Total domination.

Shepherd Lover on December 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Peter King calls Costas critics “small-minded gun nuts”

commodore on December 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

And Peter King is just small nutted..

DevilsPrinciple on December 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Why is a guy named Peter expounding on “gun nuts”?

I got your gun nuts. Right here, buddy!

Mitoch55 on December 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Used to be a sports freak, then I grew up. The outcomes have as much consequence as the winner of a board game (none). The production / analysis / commentary is dumbed-down and unoriginal.

An NFL game is no more relevant or wholesome than an episode of Jerry Springer. If it wasn’t in vogue, televised football would be just another sleazy reality TV punch line.

michaelthomas on December 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well, the Cowboys won in their now-usual annoying way. Yee-ha.

J.E. Dyer on December 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ed, why oh why do you bet against Belichick and Brady? Absolute poundage!

scrubbiedude on December 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Texans at Patriots (MNF, 8:30 pm, ESPN) – This should be a terrific game, and now that I’m out of school, I can watch at least some of it. The Texans are undefeated on the road, and the Pats are 4-1 at home. It’s usually a bad idea to pick against New England at home in the winter, but the Pats have already sewn up their division, and Houston hasn’t — and they need to make sure that the road to the Super Bowl doesn’t go through New England. I’m picking the Texans in a shootout, 35-31.

Shootout! You were right Ed. Just one minor detail though: a very one-sided shootout. A Marianas Turkey Shoot. And yes, it’s bad to “pick against New England at home” in December. :)

soghornetgunner on December 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM