New plan. We just won’t collect the taxes

posted at 12:31 pm on December 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

There’s a new bit of creative thinking making the rounds in DC this weekend, proving yet again that not all ideas wind up being good ones. According to this line of thought, assuming no deal is reached to prevent tax rates from going up on the middle class, Timothy Geithner has certain, hidden superpowers which will save the day. If the tax rates go up, people won’t need to worry about it because we just won’t withhold the extra money from their paychecks.

The White House has the power to temporarily protect taxpayers from middle-class tax hikes even as upper income rates rise if Congress does nothing and all of the Bush-era tax rates expire in January.

Experts and lawmakers alike agree that Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has the power to adjust how much is withheld from paychecks for tax purposes — for all taxpayers or just for some.

By doing so, Geithner could ensure paychecks reflect the White House position that wealthier taxpayers with annual income higher than $250,000 see their taxes rise. Geithner at the same time could leave withholding tables where they are for the middle class, ensuring those workers don’t see a higher cut from their paychecks.

I’ve noticed a bit of confusion out there, particularly given some of the comments popping up on Twitter, so we should first identify what this doesn’t mean. The White House can not simply ignore the tax laws put in place by Congress and collect a different amount of tax than what is due, and this proposal isn’t suggesting that. If the tax rate goes up, you’re still going to owe more money.

But what they’re talking about is the fact that Treasury is responsible for publishing the withholding tables which employers use to determine how much to deduct from workers’ paychecks for their taxes. In theory, Geithner could leave the withholding tables the same for lower income workers, effectively making it seem as if their taxes haven’t gone up. But this is a pretty dangerous game to play unless you’re very sure you know what the eventual tax rate is going to be and when it will go into effect. If you guess wrong and fail to withhold the correct amount, tens of millions of people will find themselves owing a big ole’ check to the IRS when tax day rolls around and you’ll find yourself about as popular as a skunk at a garden party.

So what does this plan actually “solve” in terms of the ongoing tax debate? In reality… nothing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If they go through with this, it will deny Obama his chance to blame Republicans for middle class tax increases

Mahna Mahna on December 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Don’t count on it. His 51% will believe whatever the MSM tells them. YES, the Republicans will stil be blamed.

Alabama Infidel on December 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

New plan. We just won’t collect the taxes

How about we just not pay our taxes? They can’t put us all in jail.

JPeterman on December 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It actually gives the republicans much more room for maneuvering. Basically, the threat is that withholding will reduce lower income people’s paydays, and that will create a massive backlash against the Republicans. But if treasury does not increase the withholding, there will not be so big a backlash.

astonerii on December 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

New plan. We just won’t collect the taxes

How about we just not pay our taxes? They can’t put us all in jail.

JPeterman on December 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Want to bet? Remember, Joesph Stalin put the entire Union of Soviet Socialist Republics in prison for nearly 70 years.

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

How about we just not pay our taxes? They can’t put us all in jail.

JPeterman on December 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Great idea. You first, I’m right behind you.

Seriously, I’ve thought of it before. The problem is that nobody in THIS country wants to risk their freedom to take on the government.

fossten on December 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

“If you guess wrong and taxpayers have to write checks next April…they’re not going to be happy.”

Ask the residents of Staten Island how well the government works…

Seven Percent Solution on December 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Now let’s see . . . if Obama wins, tax rates on the “rich” go up and the middle class tax rates stay the same; If we go over the “cliff”, tax rates on the “rich” and the middle class go up but the middle class will continue on their present withholding tables, therefore their tax liability remains unchanged. If the Republicans win, all tax rates stay the some and do not go up. This is a no win game for the Republicans and a win-win game for Obama because Obama can win even if we go over the cliff. It’s time to stop this nonsense and let those politicos try to find something constructive to do.

rplat on December 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Great idea. You first, I’m right behind you.

fossten on December 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I work freelance and thus file quarterly as an independent contractor. Vaclav Havel risked his freedom and was jailed several times so that I could have my freedom.

This is a risk I am willing to take, and I sure wish others were also brave enough to do so. Only we the people can stop this insanity.

JPeterman on December 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Wow, these people sure are stupid and evil. :-(

Punchenko on December 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Just because geitner has trouble paying his taxes, doesn’t mean the rest of us have trouble paying ours.

I really wish the Republicans would start to communicate why raising taxes is bad. Why government spending is bad, and why small government is good. Obama is dominating the media game. And the only message getting through is “The rich are tax cheats”

Iblis on December 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

“We can’t have any of that Rule-of-Law crap.
We need the flexibility to adjust on an ad-hoc basis.
Trust me, The President and I have your best interests at heart.”
-T. Geithner

Another Drew on December 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

There is no more rule of law. The Federal Government, under the Progressives (read Socialists) have thrown it out long ago. They make things up as they go along, they interpret things as they like and they decide which laws to enforce and then selectively enforce them. Without the rule of law, there is only tyranny and we are there.

Theophile on December 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

JPeterman on December 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I hear you, I write a incredibly small and insignificant little blog, which in an odd turn of events gets read in over 100 nations around the world. Yet, at the same time the single highest demographic of my readership comes from Washington DC. I do not write a Pro, or even remotely pro government blog. I have known for a couple of years now that the largest percentage of my readership is in Washington DC, and it does in fact weight rather heavily on my mind every time I write a new article, but it absolutely never impacts what I have to say.

As a kid I remember reading about the various writers in the Soviet Union who regardless of the consequences insisted on writing their dissenting articles exposing the rampant corruption violence and often acts of outright murders committed by various Soviet government officials. I have no aspirations or expectations of ever achieving that level of courage. What they did was courage personified, I recognize that I am a small and insignificant individual in the great scheme of things, but I do what I can.

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

no matter what happens, we can be sure the Obamaphone Gorilla won’t be paying more taxes

Slade73 on December 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Iblis on December 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

heh. Yep, I don’t think Beohner poses any risk in the media messaging game

Slade73 on December 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

SWalker on December 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Zechariah 4:10

New Living Translation (NLT)

“Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s SWalker’s hand.”

davidk on December 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The 2 percent will have Obama and Geithner in court the next with the best lawyers money can buy. We would ALL be paying or not paying sooner rather than later

bluesdoc70 on December 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Tax Cheat Timmy will confiscate the wealth from us all. Why should he rob just a subset of earners when he can steal from us all? That was Barky’s plan all along.

Philly on December 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I was one of many Republicans who thought we should just go over the cliff. I’m having seconds thoughts about that approach. The Republicans of course will get blamed for taking the country over the cliff, and Obama will get painted as the hero for restoring the middle class tax cuts. If that happens, there’s definitely a risk that Obama will have complete control (Senate, House) the last two years of his term. Needless to say, that would be a disaster.

So how do Republicans get out the corner they are painted into?

GCM on December 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM

That’s easy.

1) Go over the cliff. Let the tax rates kick in.

2) Block any attempt by Geithner to play with the withholding tables, as in lawsuit. Let people see what things really cost.

3) Put up a bill in the House that does two things: restores the tax rates to those in 2012 across the board AND cuts $4 trillion, or whatever the estimated “cost” that lefties screamed the Bush tax cuts were, from government spending, plus reforms entitlements.

4) Watch Obama and the Obama Party twist themselves into knots trying to block it.

5) Go on the airwaves at top volume pointing out how Republicans passed a bill lowering tax rates, cutting spending, and reforming entitlements, the three things Americans want, but the Obama Party and Barack Obama are blocking it.

6) Repeat throughout all of 2013, and if Obama is stubborn enough, 2014.

7) Win midterms in a landslide and take back control of the Senate by simply pointing out how Obama has blocked tax cuts, spending cuts, and entitlement reform.

northdallasthirty on December 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I like this idea!

They should extend it to ALL WITHHOLDING!

So everyone gets to PAY UP on 15 APR!

Yes, please extend this to all withholding tables so that everyone gets the full amount before taxes and then sees EXACTLY how much their government is shellacking them in the way of taxes. Writing a nice big, fat, juicy check once a year will go a LONG WAY to solving the problem of ‘how do you bring the spending down’?

Show people EXACTLY what they owe in a ‘write a check to the Treasury’ way and in less than 2 years you will see a whole new breath of fresh air in Congress.

Go for it Little Timmy TurboTax!

Please?

Its for the good of the country.

ajacksonian on December 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Here Timmy, we can help. Small business owners will simply stop collecting all payroll taxes, pay their employees their full wages, and then you take it from there.

I’d say we’d have a responsible change in government in about a nanosecond if even a small but dedicated number of small businesses did this. And frankly, it’s the only way left to force the government on its knees, where it belongs, subservient to those who fund it.

Borgcube on December 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Borgcube on December 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Actually, I think that’s a great idea for the Pubs to put in place. Simply state that, to eliminate additional regulation and red tape and to make it easier to hire employees, employers will no longer be required to withhold taxes and will simply need to write a check for their portion of Social Security and Medicare for each employee once a year.

The government will then be solely responsible for collecting all payroll taxes, including Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, and the like, from people directly – once a year.

The system would likely completely collapse at that point.

northdallasthirty on December 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Fox is reporting that Boehner and Barky are meeting now about the fiscal cliff.

Philly on December 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It still astounds me that this crook, who claims to not understand TurboTax, is actually our Treasury Secretary and taken seriously!

PattyJ on December 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Right now there is no top tax bracket starting at 200K single and 250K for married couples.

If we revert to the pre Bush tax cuts rates, certain things do happen, the marriage penalty comes back worse than it is now, but a lot of those people are not going to see their rates go up to 39% They are going up to the pre Bush tax cut rate.

I guess my question is, if you are not in the 39% bracket, but the one that is 33% right now, will your taxes be going to 39% if Obama gets his way? Can anyone give accurate examples? The top tax margin starts at $488K. They pay 35% now. They will pay 39%

But those paying 33 now will go up to 36% NOT 39 like it looks to me like the president wants to do, because he is gouging into the second highest marginal rate ($178K- 388K single/ $217K-$388K married.) I know I can’t expect tv journalists to give me the details, but what is accurate. Is Obama making the top margin bigger? or will the second tier still pay less, 36%.

You see, if it is so, those people should know about it. The simple expiration of the Bush tax cuts might be better for them. However, no one can compute how the marriage penalty will come into play.

I think they should just let them go up and propose tax reform during the year, and SS reform, and people will be more eager for SS reform when they realize they have not been paying what they owe.

Fleuries on December 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

The alternative minimum tax is about to catch a lot of people off guard.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The AMT is a tax intended to make sure that at least some tax is paid by high-income people who otherwise could sharply reduce or eliminate their regular income tax bills through using tax loopholes. About 4 million people annually pay the AMT.

Unlike the regular income tax, the AMT is not indexed for inflation. So the thresholds that determine who must pay the tax have to be regularly raised. This prevents the AMT from hitting middle-class people whose incomes may have crept upward on the back of inflation, but who are not wealthy.

Congress last patched the AMT in late 2010. Without another patch, the AMT could hit as many as 33 million people for the 2012 tax year, according to the IRS.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Let me see if I got this right, The tax cheat want to cheat on everyone’s taxes then call them out on it at the end of the year. So they have to pay the penalties that he did not when he cheated on his taxes.

kraftykeltic on December 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

AMT is going to be a killer for a lot of folks, probably myself included.

Philly on December 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I long for the day when there is a *real* concerted effort to “just say not to taxes” on April 15th.

I take it as far as I can, every year. I *should* pay quarterly, but I never do. I hold out till 11pm on April 14th. I end up paying a penalty for not filing quarterly, but the rationale is “something catastrophic is going to happen,” or “maybe someone with some common sense will come around.”

Never seems to happen, though. For what I pay though (usually around the cost of a new highly decked out Chevy Suburban), I can’t help but think that if something really catastrophic happened, where paying tax was wasn’t even an option anymore, I’d sure be glad I held on to that money.

Imagine if all conservatives banded together and say “no” on April 15th? They don’t have enough resources to come after everyone and it would cripple Obama’s ability to squander the resources that we provide this country with. If anything, democrats should be “thankful” for what we contribute, for they have no other means of giving handouts to their base, without our tax revenues.

BruthaMan on December 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

BruthaMan on December 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Not working out too well for Ann Barnhardt. It took one week for the IRS to seize her assets.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

How “constitutional” will it be for the wealthy to get HIT HARD with exorbitant taxes, if we go over the cliff and they adjust “down” all the other income tax rates, WITHOUT there being a new “Tax Bill” passed in Congress, which gives permission to even do this????

DixT on December 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Never does when one goes it alone.

BruthaMan on December 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Let’s just be deceptive, cause confusion and chaos, just another Alinsky tactic. Oh, and how many will the IRS go after with the penalty for underpayment of taxes? The Dooms just will never stop campaigning or lying to the American people or manipulating the situations. What a dumbass way to live. I think it’s time to start preparing for the second American Revolution.

stukinIL4now on December 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Would anarchy by any other name smell as sweet? If the MSM would let us, this is clearly impeachable, almost sedition.

321mdl on December 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Actually, if they choose not to enforce the law, would we have to pay taxes at all? There are states and cities where unenforced laws can be used as grounds to throw out a case.

321mdl on December 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Sure ..just trust us. Would we lie?

Mimzey on December 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

4. Republican
5. Business owner
6. Commenter on conservative blogs

fossten on December 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Same list as the DHS.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Hey out there! How do the Republicans tell the country what is happening when the MSM won’t carry the programs?? If you can’t get the word out, nothing happens. The Republicans are going to have to buy time frequently to get any message across. BUY TIME. And get rid of that boob Boehner. Or hire Newt to tutor our leaders on how to deliver the product. Jesus, Joseph, and Mary why are all our chairmen such nothings?

AReadyRepub on December 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM

and a PS Why don’t all opposed just say no on Tax Day? No guts, no glory. They don’t have enough jails now much less for 60M more law breakers. But we don’t ever do anything “together” do we? United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

AReadyRepub on December 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Why not just call O’b@stard’s bluff?

He’s actively trying to bankrupt the country.

Give him a bill with no spending cuts, no change in the top marginal rate, and a drop in the lower income tax rates.

Rich pay a higher rate. Middle class gets some (temporary) help. Spending cuts averted.

It’s not like this clown wants to keep america solvent anyway. Sooner is better.

WryTrvllr on December 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Heh! Geithner knows he can act with impunity. The stupid greedy people who just voted for Obama are too damned ignorant to understand any of this. The rat-eared wonder will only point at the GOP and blame them and these mooches, takers, and parasites will accept that explanation without question.

Happy Nomad on December 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Does anyone get the idea that there are, perhaps, really, really crazy people in the Obama Administration? Crazy people, as in, they’re delusional to a point that they’re walking around dictating points to everyone else but in reality, they’re really, really out of touch with reality? They’re aware of what they’re saying but they don’t comprehend what they’re saying?

Like meeting the exceptionally impressionable person in a hallway at a hospital who is wearing a white coat and starts telling you about specific medical issues that apply to you but you find out later he’s a mental patient who isn’t a physician and can’t even add simple numbers together?

By the way, that last part reminds me of Geitner.

Lourdes on December 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Happy Nomad on December 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I think it’s a reasonable guess to assume that MOST of the people who voted for Obama didn’t vote for him from an informed position but did so “attitudinally” and about socio-political causes or big-sweeping generalities that they can’t or haven’t or won’t think through beyond their “feelings” and as to those “feelings” applied to their own needs or wants.

The more educated, aware people who voted for Obama did so based upon socio-political assumptions and not from an issue-informed position. They may understand what’s being said but they voted for what the first group did: “feelings” about wants and needs.

It’s proven every.single.time Obama goes off about his needs to “tax the rich” and “make the wealthy pay their fare share.” He’s not reasoning based upon facts or solutions, he’s insisting on SOCIO-POLITICAL goals: he NEEDS to “make the rich pay” because it supports his idea of what’s “right” and communist. If there’s no class-type targeted by him and his supporters, then they lack meaning politically.

Lourdes on December 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Why not demand that OBama agree to EVERYONE paying “their fare share”?

I don’t get Obama’s insistence that it’s just one economic class, per his definitions of such, that must “pay their fare share.”

Because it’s limited to one “class,” it implies then that everyone else doesn’t have to be “fair” or isn’t being required to be “fair”.

Lourdes on December 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM

These people are crazy. Sure, maybe Timmy thinks he can legally wave a magic wand over the withholding tables, but that doesn’t sound as if he’s on solid footing. Maybe they should find some of those magic beans and fairy dust prezzy accused the Rs of having. They need to quit screwing around with peoples pay checks and our lives. What a fluked up mess they are creating with our country.

Kissmygrits on December 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I could withhold my quarterly payments but then they would stop sending my SS checks which would also stop my MC. Our SS checks just went up $17 a month but MC monthly payment went up $5.90 a month. Thanks, peeps.

Kissmygrits on December 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Iblis on December 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This has already been communicated.
The problem is, the truth doesn’t sound as good as the class envy lies that the left spews.
I don’t care if you buy up all the ad time around every reality TV show, handout free condoms with that message, etc.
These people who voted for all of this vote for this at their own peril and many know it and they still don’t care.
This is a cycle that civilization goes through.
Freedom-Tyranny-Freedom-Tyranny.
It will never end bcs people are genetically predisposed to be rules by tyrants.
They are weak and scared.

Badger40 on December 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Timmy is bat sh** crazy. There should be a contest between he and his bossman Barry over who is more certifiable.

I’m sorry, but the thought of them messing with the witholding tables and then seeing these people used getting a check, writing a check, is funny.
Hope and change.

ORconservative on December 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM

They are weak and scared.

Badger40 on December 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM

And they want their mommy… state.

RalphyBoy on December 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Can’t believe people are actually falling for this lie from Geithner. Its just a convenient talking point so they claim “we tried everything, but those darn Republicans are just set on protecting the rich!, etc.”

It should be obvious to anyone at this point that the Obana administration wants to go over the fiscal cliff, and that’s what will happen.

Norwegian on December 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I love it!!!

However, the balance dues are not required to be paid until the day BEFORE

Tuesday, November 8
Election Day 2016

Forward!!!!

patch on December 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

As usual, with this White House, they spend all this time and effort dealing with the politics of the problem, rather than the problem itself. It’s all form over substance, again.

They do have a problem, when the Obamacare taxes kick in, people aren’t going to know what was what until they start paying. They’ll assume it’s one thing while it’s really another. The Republicans better point out all the events that are going to take place, after January 1st, including those that are because of Obamacare.

bflat879 on December 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Let’s look at the big picture. If you see your voting base not as ignorant needing to be informed but as a sea of stupid waiting to be manipulated, this is brilliant stuff.

Manipulating your voting base into a financial hole so as to blame it on Republicans is brilliant. It’s Chitcago at it’s finest. And let’s face it. We all know that the Obama voting base is stupid enough to go right along. We know they’re not capable of heeding the warnings and setting some money aside to pay their taxes in April.

And we all know Republicans will continue to think they can negotiate with this kind of corrupt garbage.

MNHawk on December 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Does Geithner have some kind of implants in his forehead or something.. to give him those funny satanic looking eyebrows?

JellyToast on December 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Any solution that involves bending the rules isn’t a solution. It’s a step towards totalitarianism.

If Geithner has the ability to choose what taxes to collect, then he can use taxes to punish people who disagree with him, or reward his friends.

Of course, that’s exactly what happened with Geithner’s tax situation, too.

hawksruleva on December 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Snore !! BS served hot! NOOO, they won’t collect it, and Mary had a little lamb. This from the guy who cheats on his own taxes.

arand on December 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Let me see if I get this right. The folks that are screaming that tax rates are too low and tax revenues need to increase are going to just sprinkle some unicorn farts and pixie dust to now NOT collect withholdings from peoples’ paychecks when the rates rise?

Err, okay, let’s see that in action. This isn’t going to end well.

Why is it that DC is all in a ruckus about raising rates on the middle class but yet we keep losing the public opinion battle that lowering taxes stimulates the economy?

smfic on December 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You can’t make this up….. and coming from a scum tax cheat no less!! God help us, and thank you, idiot liberals.

ultracon on December 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Yeah, this is a viable option. /s Apparently no one told Timmy that under-withholding subjects one to a)taxes due at the end of the year and b)potential penalties for failure to withhold or for underpayment of quarterlies. And, just how would this work for us self-employed types who have to pay quarterly estimates? These people never cease to astound.

totherightofthem on December 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Oh, and let’s not forget interest due on the taxes that are due at the end of the year due to under-withholding.

totherightofthem on December 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

The house could pass a tax-cut, ignoring any spending issue for the moment, as a way to spur growth.

They could then float a second measure to address structural spending. Who says these things have to be linked?

Additional spend, wanted by the administration would be third in line. Most householders would understand this logic, given the situation.

Let the Senate vote against the permanent tax cuts.

Let the Senate vote against spending limitations.

If the Senate goes along, let the president veto both measures.

This is not a Republican problem.

virgo on December 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM