Booker: I’m “absolutely” considering a NJ gubernatorial run

posted at 6:31 pm on December 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The Virginia and New Jersey gubernatorial races are going to get a lot of attention in 2013, as they’re the only major elections going on in the post-presidential year; the Virginia race has been solidifying over the past few weeks, and the New Jersey race is going to hinge on whether or not Newark Mayor Cory Booker decides to challenge Chris Christie for the state’s governorship.

Chris Christie’s status as a national-level conservative rock star is looking a little iffy in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, at least at this particular moment, but his popularity and approval rating with New Jersey residents are through the roof. It just isn’t looking like a good time to mount an offensive to unseat Christie in a Democratic upset — and it might be better for his career to wait for 2014 and run for U.S. Senate, if he’s going for a more sure-thing national profile over executive leadership. He’s being totally open about the whole thing, anyway, via the WFB:

Yeah, I am absolutely considering running for governor, as well as giving some other options some consideration. I’m going to be focused on that for the next week to ten days or so, and really come up with a decision that answers my basic question, is, where do I believe… I can make the best difference for the city I love, the state I love, and the nation I’ve pledged my life to. … [My final decision has] got to be within the next two weeks. Especially in New Jersey, ’cause there’s a lot of very good candidates for governor, in New Jersey on the Democratic side, and I’ve got to… be a part of my party’s push forward, whether it’s me as a candidate, or supporting other candidates for that office. … Yeah, I”m actually looking at [a Senate candidacy] a lot as well.

If anybody could manage to oust Chris Christie from his favorable position, it would probably be Booker, but if the Senate seat he’s looking at opens up, it’s more or less a given for him, barring some amazingly huge screw-up. Sounds like he’ll be making the decision pretty quickly here.

Comments

If so, you have my donation.

kim roy on December 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Loved the fact that for once a politician admitted that he was interested in running and excited about it. Personally I’d be happier with Booker as a Senator than Lautenburg or Menendiz.

katiejane on December 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I say its bluster, but is the Senate race really a guarantee for him. It would require that a 90 year old Democrat in a safe seat actually chooses retirement, and when does that ever happen?

Gingotts on December 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

“Make a difference”=screw the population.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM

There is virtually no difference between Christie and Booker – for voters, the choice will come down to which of these libs offers the most FREE stuff, or which one voters THINK will offer the most FREE stuff.

Pork-Chop on December 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Dear Mr. Booker,

If you want to run for New Jersey governor, please check your brains at the door, speak only approved party doctrine, and above all, put the Party above the electorate.

Signed,
Your Loving DNC

EdmundBurke247 on December 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I like this guy. If you follow him on Twitter he is always busy doing something.

guido911 on December 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

when in doubt…..vote for the real deal.

Vote Booker.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

No doubt Christ Christie has the biggest Teat……</strong

Buttttt….Booker has a PARTY that has latched on so go with the slick talker.

Booker baby!

PappyD61 on December 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Regardless of what Booker does or doesn’t..governor or us senate

DNC knows the secret…Booker will on the 2016 ticket. Great motivator.

Redford on December 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I think that Booker could beat Christie. But I think he’ll go for the – almost – sure thing Senate seat.

Priscilla on December 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Gingotts on December 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Indeed. The Dems know they’ll probably win that Senate seat regardless of who runs, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Lautenberg stays and Booker took on Christie to give them a better chance to take both seats.

Then again, if Booker wins that could free up Christie to take on Lautenberg…

changer1701 on December 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Well…if you can’t straighten out Newark…you might as well make the rest of the state look like Camden, Trenton, Newark and Dearborn….with Detroit on the horizon…and straight to doomsday like California.

He’ll make Corzine look like a penny pinching Scrooge.

Twana on December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Chris Christie is done if Booker runs.

terryannonline on December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Another lib who never worked a day in his life…

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Dude looks like a henchmen from the Mummy movie. Also reminds me of Mola Ram.

jawkneemusic on December 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Chris Christie is done if Booker runs.
terryannonline on December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Maybe. Didn’t his approval rating skyrocket to above 70% post Sandy?

jawkneemusic on December 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Maybe. Didn’t his approval rating skyrocket to above 70% post Sandy?

jawkneemusic on December 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I believe he was in the high 50s. New Jersey is a blue state and Booker is popular.

terryannonline on December 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You know what’s refreshing? A journalist asking “are you considering running for Office X,” and the politician answering, “yes, absolutely” instead of a bunch of platitudes about being focused on the current job and so on and so forth. Points to Booker for giving a direct answer.

Shump on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Chris Christie will go the way of Scott Brown. For some reason in the Northeast, doing a good job for your constituents doesn’t count for anything, but being a Democrat counts for everything.

Cindy Munford on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

…if the MSM like him…he’s in….no matter what!

KOOLAID2 on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Booker won’t run. He can read the polls as well as anyone else, and there’s an open Senate seat in 2014. And Christie’s rise will inevitably build Booker’s national profile as well, since the two have been so chummy during Christie’s term(s).

Lawdawg86 on December 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Shump on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Its hard not to like the guy… I mean he evaded his own security detail to save his neighbor from a house fire. That’s character.

I’d never vote for a Dem, but if I had to pick one I’d vote for, it would be Booker.

Lawdawg86 on December 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The guy looks like a well-tanned version of Vin Diesel, is at least as likeable, and appears to have a measure of brains and conscience. Given rabid support given by the media to anyone that is a shade darker than cappuccino and has a (D) after the name, the guy is shoe-in for any office, Presidency including, if he wishes to run. Heck, I’ll probably make an exception from the straight-ticket rule and vote for him against Chris the Whale, just out of spite.

Archivarix on December 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I work in southern New Jersey and I don’t see the people there voting for a Newark mayor for anything. Its still a massively corrupt city with high crime and horrible schools. Booker hasn’t done squat to improve any of that. Shoveling some snow and pulling someone out of a burning building are nice things to do but you need more than that to beat Chris Christie.

rockmom on December 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Run Corey, Run! Fatty McButterpants Christie will learn that being black trumps helping a black man get Re-elected. He was a useful idiot and now won’t be needed. As the Democrat party becomes the Black/Brown/and sometimes White useful idiot women party, I see a national future for Corey Booker.

Rockshine on December 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Chris Christie is done if Booker runs.
terryannonline on December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Whatever happens in New Jersey, I hope he’s done on the national stage. I don’t see how any Republican, whether RINO or conseravtive could ever trust him after his Obamaesque me me me speech at the convention (barely mentioning Romney’s name) and his slobbering over Obama while walking hand in hand on the beach.

TxAnn56 on December 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Erika – Chris Christie’s status as a national-level conservative rock star is looking a little iffy in the wake of Hurricane Sandy

Erika -

This has to be your dumbest statement of the week. The Fatman’s “status as a national-level conservative rock star” became iffy after 1) his stand on the Second Amendment, 2) his stand on illegal immigrants (he’s the Ed Morrissey of New Jersey), 3) his stand on the Ground Zero Mosque, 4) his appointment of a supporter of radical jihadis to a judicial post, 5) his criticism or those who oppose sahria, 7) ….

The omly person I know of who considers Christie a conservative rock star is Ann Coulter and Ann only talks like a conservative when she wants to sell books to the rubes in flyover country.

bw222 on December 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Chris Christie is done if Booker runs.

terryannonline on December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

If Booker runs for governor, I am sending Cory a check.

bw222 on December 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Why not brother. Your black. There has to be a couple million of guilt ridden white Democrats that will vote for you no matter what asinine thing you may say in the next two years.

Hummer53 on December 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

By any rational measure, the only national Republican contest that Christie should win would involve eating pies.
Which means that he’s almost certain to be the next Republican presidential candidate.

justltl on December 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

i say he saves at least one hispanic old lady from a fire and a white cop from drowning before the election.

renalin on December 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

if the MSM like him…he’s in….no matter what!

KOOLAID2 on December 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Well, he’s black and a liberal…Christie is pasty white and while sorta liberal e really honked off unions….

The press will LOVE Booker and vilify the fat man…

As history has now proved, young black and handsome is kind all a guy needs..

Tim Zank on December 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Booker booker, think bout it. Do you really wanna be eaten by the fatboy? Dude will swallow you like an anaconda. Go for the safe bet. The senate.

tommy71 on December 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

As history has now proved, young black and handsome is kind all a guy needs..

Tim Zank on December 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Yup.

Booker will be President in 2016.

The Donks have a winning template.

Bruno Strozek on December 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

As history has now proved, young black and handsome is kind all a guy needs..

Tim Zank on December 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

You forgot ‘who promises free stuff’.

Bruno nailed it. The Donks have finally found an unbeatable template for candidates, made worse by the fact that the GOP’s ‘bloodline’ (if you will) is utterly depleted.

MelonCollie on December 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM

“Make a difference”=screw the population.

tom daschle concerned on December 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Exactly. Or, “impose leftist doctrine on stupid rubes to save their sorry asses.”

I hear that phrase once more I get sick.

rrpjr on December 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Cory Booker lost me at the DNC. He turned into a complete partisan, racist hack.

ctmom on December 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM