Open thread: Army-Navy, a game of honor

posted at 11:31 am on December 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I generally have to count myself out of all of the weekend football talk that goes on around here — I’m ashamed to confess, I’m pretty clueless when it comes to stats, teams, rules, etc; it’s just not my thing — but if there’s one sports-related thing I do know how to do well, it’s football games. Tailgating, team spirit, excessive displays of patriotism? Now we’re speaking my language!

I’ll be in Philadelphia this afternoon for the 113th edition of one of America’s oldest, most storied rivalries, dating back to 1890. The Army-Navy game is my absolute favorite football event of the year: The uniforms, the flyovers, the anthems, the traditions, the shenanigans, the military community at large; it’s all in celebration and respect of the fact that, while the midshipmen and the cadets have a lot of fun in keeping the competition intense with pranking and smack-talking one another, all of these young men and women are going straight to military service upon graduation. They may be all-in-good fun rivals, but they are also brothers-at-arms in the defense and protection of the United States of America.

Navy has now beaten Army for ten consecutive years running (and Navy has had the better football campaign this season with seven wins, while Army is two-and-nine), but it’ll certainly be a fun game to watch — airing starts on CBS at 3 o’clock.

Now, I love and respect all of the branches of the United States equally, but, due to a long family history, I may-or-may-not be a bit biased… and, I just have to say…

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

(This is from last year, but awesome:)

(And one of the best things about the Army-Navy rivalry? Spirit spots!)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

GO NAVY!!!!

w00t!!!!

BigWyo on December 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

GOOOOO ARRRRMMMYYY!!!

Beat Navy!!

coldwarrior on December 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

…we just had the election…so there will be no reason for JugEars to be there.

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!!!!!!!!!

By the way, for anyone interested in this rivalry, I highly recommend John Feinstein’s outstanding book: A Civil War: Army Vs. Navy a Year Inside College Football’s Purest Rivalry

right of the dial on December 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

obambi will be at a gangnam concert during the game just to be fair.

VegasRick on December 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Duty Honor Country. Words that 51% of Americans don’t know the meaning of.

VegasRick on December 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM

obambi will be at a gangnam concert during the game just to be fair.

VegasRick on December 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I want to be on the first transport to the New United States of Mars.

Go Navy!

BobMbx on December 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Wasn’t sure who to root for here, since they both beat the Air Force Falcons. But, in honor of my father-in-law and brother….

GO ARMY!

pookysgirl on December 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Go Army!

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Went to my first Army-Navy game back in ’70….I think. Halftime “show” was a tribute to the Son Tay Raiders…the entire stadium shook like an earthquake from the applause as these guys walked out into the field.

A few since then. Wish I could travel. Army-Navy is one of those times when one is surrounded by Americans, real Americans, of all stripes,all ethnicities, bound together by a simple tradition and a rock-solid devotion to that long lost belief in Duty, Honor, Country.

[And, for the record, once again, Goooo ARRRRRRMMYYY!]

coldwarrior on December 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I want to be on the first transport to the New United States of Mars.

Go Navy!

BobMbx on December 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I’ll be betting on them today. Win, lose or draw, always love the game, our finest at their best. Hope for our future.

VegasRick on December 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

GO ARMY!

melle1228 on December 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

From a Navy man – Go Army – the rivalry needs an Army win.

jake-the-goose on December 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

My favorite football game of the season!

ladyingray on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

GO NAVY-BEAT ARMY!

The Navy uniforms this year even have a touch of tea party.

reddevil on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The absolute must-see, best game of the year, no matter who wins. And a well-needed respite (or escape) from the recent national tragedy — the re-election of a CinC who has little if any regard for the men and women represented so well on this hallowed gridiron.

Go Army. Go Navy. And, thank you for loving, and for your future service to, our country!

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

GO NAVY!!!!

FCCS(SW/AW) (Ret).

JeffWeimer on December 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

BEAT ARMY!!

TexasEngineer on December 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

From a Navy man – Go Army – the rivalry needs an Army win.

jake-the-goose on December 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Army deserves a win. Hooah!

melle1228 on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

All right, Erika! I knew there was a reason why I liked you!

In case there is any doubt about my feelings on the matter:

GO NAVY!

NavyMustang on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

This old Airdale has to root for NAVY!

I told my son when he joined the Army that I’d support Army for 363 days of the year. The other two were the Navy’s birthday, and the annual Army/Navy game. :)

GO NAVY!

TKindred on December 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!!!

Moose Drool on December 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Aim High!

Oh, wait….. never mind…….. Dangit!

It will be a great game, no matter what. (Will it be online, anywhere?)

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Answer: hopefully here!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Many years ago I was stationed at BPNAS near Makakilo, HI as a CH47 crewchief. There were Coasties, a Skyhawk Squadron, (COMPATWING2) and the P3s stationed there. And us, the 147th Aviation company out of the 25th Infantry Division. (Aircraft were too big for Wheeler at the time) Always a fun rivalry between services during the Army/Navy Game.

Flying the day of the game, we were in a hurry to get back to watch it. Short final to our ramp the tower told my pilots to land to the Follow Me truck. My pilots said thanks but we were a tenent unit and knew where we were going. Tower said land to the follow me truck anyway and assume guidance. Of course, there was a big “GO Navy, BEAT Army” sign on the back of the truck and we were supposed to follow and be subjected to the sign the whole way. Our safety officer was one of the pilots and he told his co-pilot he was taxiing too fast. So, we progressively slowed down until it was excruciatingly slow for the Follow Me truck and they got the idea because the minute taxi to the ramp probably took five minutes.

Good times.

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Go Navy!

Bruno Strozek on December 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hey, Erica. Some fine looking young lads in those ranks, aren’t there? In fine physical shape and all in uniform, too. Enough to send a young girl’s heart all aflutter. Good for you! Carry on.

a capella on December 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I don’t watch football, but the fact 95% of past and present family members served/serving in the Navy, guess I will go Navy.
L

letget on December 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Oops. That would be Erika.

a capella on December 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Great story. Curious, who won that year?

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Go Army!!

trailortrash on December 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

reddevil on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It’s the first Navy Jack of the US Navy. There is no modern Tea Party reference. Sailors often wear it as an impromptu unit patch while deployed, in subdued colors.

That being said, Go Army, beat Navy!

Sgt Steve on December 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Great story. Curious, who won that year?

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

That year Navy did.

Army won in 77, the first year I was there. Navy won the next three. I left in 82.

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

GO NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.E. Dyer on December 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The Army-Navy game itself is usually boring for those of us never in the military. The pageantry is fun to see. All the people in uniform in attendance.

Navy has some wins over smaller schools this year. Neither team is ever very good, and Army hasn’t won this game in years.

Moesart on December 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Moesart on December 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The game really isn’t intended for people like you. Don’t expect you to get it.

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

GO NAVY!!!!

w00t!!!!

BigWyo on December 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Damn straight.

DeathtotheSwiss on December 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Wife of Navy “corpseman”.

GO NAVY!!!

of course

bluealice on December 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Moesart on December 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

As my grandma would say “Was that really necessary?” I mean you realize that this thread is full of people who serve and those of us in the dependent/family member category. Sometimes I just think people get off on being jerks. This frickin game happens once a year; you don’t like it STF*.

melle1228 on December 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

These great traditions are just lucky the Marines don’t have a football program.

Rovin on December 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

GO NAVY !!!

D-Bar on December 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Best wishes to both teams.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Erika: good on ya!!

Go Navy!!

Khun Joe
USNA Class of 1981

Rovin on December 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The Marines play on the NAVY team…

Khun Joe on December 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

That was my Plebe (first) Year… last game at JFK Stadium… Woops on the north side, Mids on the south side… brutal wind… bitter cold… we (Navy) lost 17-14… The Firsties screamed at us until Christmas Leave…

Khun Joe on December 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Rovin on December 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Ummmm…. except they do. It’s called Canoe U… errr, Annapolis. A lot of those football players are on track to become USMC officers.

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Rovin, Marines play on the Navy team.

Marines at The naval Academy.

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Khun Joe on December 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That year I was a 18 yo PFC in the flight platoon for the 147th Hillclimbers. BPNAS didn’t have billets for all the Army so as soon as you went to the flight platoon you moved off post.

I was green at 17 when I came in the year before.

Seems like decades ago.

OMG!!!

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

One of my nephews graduated from the USNA this past May–he chose Marines. And a guy he graduated with is engaged to one of my nieces after initially getting fixed up by my nephew.

That said, my sister has had season tickets to the Navy games for the past four years. I got to go to Army-Navy game in 2010 and 2011, and it’s a tremendous experience, though I preferred it in Philadelphia over DC. Last year was a bit of a downer because Obama deigned to get some face time and an event he has no business attending.

I loathe liberals because, among too many other things, they loathe our military.

Go Navy. Beat Army.

BuckeyeSam on December 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

…the jingoism.

When is the last time the United States military defended or protected America?

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Go away. Daily Kos would love to see you.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

When is the last time the United States military defended or protected America?

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I’d rather be anybody than you. I rather be any”thing” than you. If you were a weathy man and I was given the opportunity to trade places with you or die in a war, I’d still cast my lot with my comrades.

I actually more pity than hate you.

(Although I am working up some world class hate these days)

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Re the Army/Navy game:

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Re. Dante

GO STRAIGHT TO HELL! SHUT YOUR WHINE HOLE!

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Cheerleaders!

a capella on December 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM

OT : Dallas Cowbiys news …

Josh Brent charged with intoxication manslaughter, as fellow Cowboy Jerry Brown died in an auto accident in Irving TX.

:-(

pambi on December 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

pambi on December 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

sad news. :(

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

First: Go Army.

…we just had the election…so there will be no reason for JugEars to be there.

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Second: This ^^^^. Even though he could hand the CinC trophy out today. But that would require him to act like a CinC.

OT : http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121208-dallas-cowboy-dies-in-irving-car-crash-teammate-arrested-on-manslaughter-charges.ece

pambi on December 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Lastly: Does this ^^^^ mean Costas will go on a diatribe against Cars or Drunk Driving?

cobrakai99 on December 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Erika, like you, I know nothing about football. But this is more than just a football game and I look forward to it every year. NavySon is an ’04 grad and we went to two games with him while he was at the academy. Enjoy every bit of what will be an amazing day!

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

NavyMom on December 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

cobrakai99 on December 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I’m following the comment feed on ESPN’s page with the story. Many of the comments have that gist. Costas is a dbag.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Re. Dante

GO STRAIGHT TO HELL! SHUT YOUR WHINE HOLE!

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Now isn’t this interesting? I ask when the last time the United States military defended America, and here is someone whose name links to a blog entitled “navy pilot overseas.” I don’t think there could be a better example of my point being underscored. I wonder if the irony is lost on Navy Pilot Overseas?

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Re, Dante:

Now isn’t this interesting?

You find shiny objects interesting you spoiled rotten child who lives and breathes off the efforts of better men. Actually, strike that, since you are an eternal boy child any compairason between you and a man is erroneous.

I ask when the last time the United States military defended America,

And you get ignored. Why? Because it’s s stupid question. An inherently loaded, idiotic question that you know will harvest vitriol at the sheer ignorance it takes to ask it.
The answer by the way is about a nano second ago, when someone else took their turn defending the USA all over the world, in South Korea, Afghanistan, in the Persian Gulf or any of the other places that our republic sends our men and women to project power, defend our constitution and secure our way of life. A way of life that has enabled you to become an overgrown parasite. You are like a tic on a dogs ass who thinks it’s clever to lecture the dog on where it should sit.
Does that clear it up for you, idiot?

I wonder if the irony is lost on Navy Pilot Overseas?

Try this for irony, idiot: If the military were to pick and chose what legal orders it is handed from the duly elected government it usurps the “legitimate use of force” from the republic and effectively turns the country into a military junta. The irony here is the end result of what you advocate, you idiot, is the USA becoming a military dictatorship. Pretty enlightened of you, huh?

So when you put on this smarmy, sanctimonious, self indulgent display of moral preening via verbal masturbation most here ignore you because they aren’t idiots, they can see the end result of what you advocate.

Go assert yourself elsewhere, I have nothing but contempt for you.

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Jagoff on December 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

FIFY

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Don’t feed the troll.

It’s tied at halftime! Hope the good game continues!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Wow. How does Army commit 5 turnovers and the game is tied.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Dang! Army needs some weapon retention training!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I guess the answer is yes, the irony is lost on you. Believe it or not, I wholly appreciate your revealing post, its complete lack of thought, and even further irony in your calling someone a parasite when your salary is funded through seizure of people’s money.

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Don’t feed the troll.

It’s tied at halftime! Hope the good game continues!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, life is ultimately too short to argue with small minds.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

pambi on December 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Bob Costas preparing commentary; will reportedly call for a ban on cars.

BobMbx on December 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Stars and Stripes ‏@starsandstripes

#Army field goal, 41 yards, No. 37 Eric Osteen. HALF-TIME, score is tied, 10-10. #stripesAN
========================

2012 Army-Navy football game
VIDEO: 2012 Army pep rally at the Pentagon
******************************************

Cheerleaders from West Point visit the Pentagon for the traditional pep rally leading up to the 2012 Army-Navy football game. See the previous day’s video of the Navy pep rally below the stories on this page

Army Video

Navy Video

U.S. Naval Academy midshipman get boisterous at the Pentagon in promoting their team in the annual Army/Navy game to be played in Philadelphia.

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Stars and Stripes ‏@starsandstripes

Trent Steelman, No. 8 for Army, during the first half. pic.twitter.com/OD3DdUd0

===

Stars and Stripes ‏@starsandstripes

@TawniVixen1 Still tied at 10-10, with 7:36 minutes left in the 3rd quarter

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Army kicks a field goal. Ahead 13-10, 3:36 left, 3rd quarter.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Hudson High is ahead!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Re.Dante

Gee, surprisingly enough, that wasn’t a rebuttal. Just another lame attempt to assert yourself.

Add my paychecks origins to the LONG list of topics that you are completely ignorant about.
You are a parasite, kiddo, and a hypocrite for benefiting from what you sanctimoniously condemn. Really, the only words out of your whine hole should be “thank you” or “good bye”.

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Army misses a FG & an opportunity to add to their lead. Still ahead, 13-10. 6:57 left, 4th quarter.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’m a Georgia fan and I love our Pro-Style offense, but Army’s Wing-T/ T-Formation offense is fun to watch. Don’t see it much anymore.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Nice pass by the Navy QB, now inside the redzone.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Touchdown Navy! Navy now leads 17-13. 4:41 left.

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

TD Navy, Navy now leads 17-13 with under 5 minutes left.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Army has only thrown 3 passes the entire game, don’t have much time to run the football.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

FUMBLE. Recovered by Navy. This one’s in the books!

22044 on December 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Well, I guess that makes 11.

Good job Navy!

GWB on December 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Army fumbles at 1:04 left. Army had a first down and 15 yards to go for a TD. Crushing.

Quartermaster on December 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

starsandstripes Stars and Stripes 6m
#Navy player during the first half. Current score: 17-13 #Navy, 1:54 remaining in 4th. #stripesAN pic.twitter.com/5wBVmKlZ

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Good Game West Point. Thank God for them all.

V7_Sport on December 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Joe Bite-Me doing the job of the CinC for him.

cobrakai99 on December 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Hate it for Steelman, kid played his heart out. Both teams played their hearts out and have nothing to hang their heads about.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Ugh.. The Bozo is apparently there. Just seeing that idiot annoys me. Gosh.. There was a much better choice for VP on the ballot America, but you let me down.

Illinidiva on December 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Sad for Army, but what was it with Steelman literally bawling like a 3-year old girl? I mean, that was embarrassing. I understand his disappointment in coming so close and losing with a game-ending fumble, but man up for God’s sakes. Save the tears for later, if you have to. Jeesh.

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Networks should have switched away from him. There were a lot of other people on that field and they could have born some visibility too. When you are caught up in emotion, polite people give you some space. CBS did not. This is a problem in other situations of tragedy as well we just have to see people in their grief when they lose loved ones for example? I think not.!

KW64 on December 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, that was awkward.

Ugly on December 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

KW64 on December 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Yep, kid played the final game of his career and got caught up in the emotions. CBS should be ashamed for continuing to focus on him.

midgeorgian on December 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Go army.

Steven McGregor on December 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

A classic game with a heart-breaking ending, but also I am reminded of the post-game speech scene in the West Point classic Long Gray Line where Notre Dame thrashes West Point using the newfangled forward pass.

The coach played by (who else?) Ward Bond told the Cadets (an injured Eisenhower among them) that when theyre commissioned officers and in combat the only thing they can expect is the unexpected. Ward Bond ends his speech by saying “if losing this game taught you that lesson then I dont care what the final score was.”

Today was a football game, albeit one loaded with tradition and expectation on the Army side, with a chance to break a 10-game Navy win streak.

But still a football game. All these cadets and middies have friends who are already in combat around the world, or in positions of important responsibility.

Sacramento on December 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Joe Bite-Me doing the job of the CinC for him.

cobrakai99 on December 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yep, the Commander-In-Chief Trophy ceremony was painful to watch. That drunken buffoon Greezy Joe Biden was so boozed up & befuddled that he couldn’t utter a coherent speech and kept repeating, “Hey man!…” His zookeepers finally led him away.

I truly loath & despise the Useful Idiots who voted for Obama/ Biden in 2008 and 2012. Thanks to them, they have enabled our Kenyan Communist Muslim-In-Chief to eliminate a probable American Renaissance and ensure our senesence instead.

CatchAll on December 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Dante on December 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

lowlifes are not interesting!…why do you people bother?

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

TXUS on December 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Sorry, but that display went from understandable to, Oh My Gawd…enough already. Steelman is going on to be a leader of the honorable sons and daughters of my nation, and in the words of my drill sergeant; “Son you have GOT to get your shit together in one bag.”

DumboTheAvenger on December 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

************* ALERT *********************

Give some love to the US Military…

Coalition forces say a US citizen was rescued from the Taliban during an operation in eastern Afghanistan – @thehill

10 mins ago from thehill.com by editor
==========================================

US citizen rescued in Afghanistan
By Kyle Balluck – 12/08/12 07:34 PM ET
**************************************

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Good game. We’ll get them next year Aremy.

Dante, pathetic and a vindictive dick to boot. You couldn’t leave one thread alone where you knew you had nothing to offer but you narrow-minded hate?

Why do you come here?

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

“your”

hawkdriver on December 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

How government bamboozles the public on foreign policy

“One misconception to overturn is that if you are skeptical of, or an outright opponent of, your government’s foreign policy, then probably you must be a pinko commie who hates America and all this other stuff. People who do not believe a word of what the government says when it comes to milk subsidies, or agriculture policy, or whatever, shouldn’t necessarily assume that everything the Pentagon says is sacred scripture. The same kind of skepticism ought to run in a natural continuum across all these sorts of things.

And I used to be a typical neoconservative: whatever the government told me on foreign policy I’m sure must be right, and anything going on overseas is simply the righteous might of the United States government dispensing summary justice against the bad guys, and who are you to ask about this, and if you are worried about civilian casualties, again you’re a pinko. I went through this whole thing.

But then I finally came to the conclusion, actually by just mindlessly adopting this position, I’m involving myself in all kinds of moral outrages because I’m falling in this trap of believing this, really, left wing Rousseauean myth that, “We ARE the government, and WE are bombing them, and WE’RE going to get them.” And so the “we” makes you feel like, “Well, gee, I’m implicated in this, too. So, darn it! Anyone who criticizes this foreign policy is criticizing me. No way, baby! WE are in this…” But it’s not “we”. The relatively small number of people who run the U.S. government is not “we”, it’s “them” it’s “they”. We don’t say, “Well, gee. We are taxing ourselves,” or “WE put me in jail for a wetland violation of my property.” We wouldn’t say “we,” we would say “they”.

And the same thing follows in this case. I’ll give you just one example: In the 1990s it was a totally bipartisan policy, and by the way, anytime something’s a bipartisan policy, you can guarantee it’s evil, always and everywhere. There was a bipartisan policy to impose sanctions on Iraq and a great many people died of malnutrition as a result of it, now the number is in dispute, but the fact that people died because they weren’t allowed to get equipment to repair their water treatment facilities and things like that, that’s beyond question, and that was deeply inhumane, and if the Soviet Union had done it, we never would have heard the end of it. “Oh, look at the commies! Of course they hate human life, and they’re terrible!”

But as soon as it’s OUR ruling class that does it, well immediately the so-called skeptics of government, the conservatives, got right in line immediately rushing to defend this policy, and after awhile I just decided, “You know, I just can’t defend these people anymore. I cannot defend that type of thing.” It is deeply immoral to do something like that. Just because somebody is your enemy there are still things you are not allowed to do to him, especially when the actual general public of that country has done nothing to you.” This is just the simple basic insight that conservatives of yesteryear would have had, but this “we” thing … “WE’VE got to have this policy! WE’RE getting these guys!” You hear it on CNN and FoxNews, “What should WE do?” It’s not “we,” it’s a small group of sociopaths.

How government bamboozles the public on foreign policy