Quotes of the day

posted at 8:39 pm on December 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

[P]olitics is being reborn. For a time, Republican candidates like Richard Mourdock of Indiana proudly declared that they didn’t believe in compromise. Political activists spent more time purging deviationists than in trying to attract new converts.

But that mania has passed. There are increasing signs that House Republicans are willing to unite behind Speaker John Boehner so he can cut a deal to avert the “fiscal cliff.” There has been an epidemic of open-mindedness as Republicans try to win minority votes and create a version of their party that can be competitive in states like Connecticut and California…

The Republicans may still blow it. If President Obama is flexible and they don’t meet him partway, Republicans would contribute to a recession that would discredit them for a decade. But they are moving in the right direction and moving fast. These are first steps, and encouraging ones.

***

Conservatives shouldn’t be so hard on Boehner. He’s trying to deal with post-election realities and sincerely believes voters want a compromise. Worth noting, prominent conservative House leaders, like Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy, and Paul Ryan, are standing behind Boehner.

On the other hand, senior House leadership aides are not happy with Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell. Apparently, McConnell and Majority Leader Harry Reid are ready to do a two-stage deal if the Boehner-Obama talks collapse. The first stage would extend middle-class tax rates and somehow compromise on upper-end rates. Then a process would be set up to produce spending cuts to replace the sequester. But House aides regard this as a nonstarter, one that could even undermine the Boehner-Obama talks.

Here’s the really big principle in all this: Why raise taxes at all in the worst economic recovery going back to 1947?

***

Talk to smart folks in Washington, and here’s what they think will happen: The final tax deal will raise rates a bit, giving Democrats a win, but not all the way back to 39.6 percent, giving Republicans a win. That won’t raise enough revenue on its own, so it will be combined with some policy to cap tax deductions, perhaps at $25,000 or $50,000, with a substantial phase-in and an exemption for charitable contributions.

The harder question is what Republicans will get on the spending side of the deal. But even that’s not such a mystery. There will be a variety of nips and tucks to Medicare, including more cost-sharing and decreases in provider payments, and the headline Democratic concession is likely to be that the Medicare eligibility age rises from 65 to 67.

That’s not a policy I like much, but New York magazine’s Jonathan Chait accurately conveys the White House thinking here: They see it as having “weirdly disproportionate symbolic power,” as it’s not a huge (or smart) cut to Medicare benefits, and most of the pain will be blunted by the Affordable Care Act. But Republicans and self-styled deficit hawks see it as a big win.

***

The “fiscal cliff” coming on Dec. 31 will automatically cause everyone’s taxes to rise and draconian defense cuts to go into effect. That leaves Republicans and conservatives having to fight a very public battle on these matters only weeks after a national defeat.

And they’ve somehow been maneuvered into arguing that benefits must be cut and taxes on the wealthy must not be raised — without having a single populist argument in their favor.

The only one that comes close is the invocation of the pain small businesses will experience from a tax hike. Fine, but unless you yourself are a small businessman or employed by one, you might not care all that much.

Thus, the political movement that came to maturity by advocating for dynamic American optimism has morphed into what it was at its most pinched and parched in the 1950s, ’60s, and ’70s: the eat-your-vegetables-and-shut-up party.

***

Republicans, as I have recently argued, have a great deal more to offer the country than tax cuts. They might ask: Do we wish to see our country’s energy sector continue to grow, and to see America displace Saudi Arabia as the world’s largest oil producer? The country will answer “Yes,” and Republicans should be ready with a list of specific policies to ensure that this happens. Republicans might ask: Do we wish to create a great many more solid career opportunities for the very large share of our young people who are not headed for MBAs, law degrees, or information-technology jobs? The country will answer “Yes,” and Republicans must be ready with a solid policy agenda. Ask the country if it wants to end subsidies to politically connected businesses, and it will answer “Yes.” Be ready. Instead, Republicans have been asking if the country is ready to put everything on hold to forestall a relatively small tax hike for households with incomes approaching $400,000 and up, and the country has answered “No.” The country is wrong to want to raise taxes for reasons having to do more with envy than economics, but certain human realities have to be accounted for in politics.

As for the more difficult questions, such as whether the country will protest if the Republicans attempt to reform entitlements by changing the indexation benchmark from wages to prices — a reform that would save billions of dollars without actually cutting the current benefits of one person — the answer is not obvious, but then that is the nature of hard questions. But it will be easier for conservatives to do the hard thing if they have an agenda that emphasizes the great many relatively easy and popular proposals that conservatives can and should support. But that is going to take deft and imaginative leadership of a sort that we have not lately seen from Republican leaders. John Boehner has not been the catastrophe that many fiscal hawks accuse him of being, but it is not clear that making the best of a bad hand is the most we can or should hope for.

***

The Republicans’ offer has $300 billion in cuts to discretionary spending over 10 years. Well, the U.S. government’s outlays in October alone were $304 billion.

The GOP offered $600 billion in 10-year health care cuts through Medicare and Medicaid, which is less than Obama was willing to risk as seed money for Obamacare. Then again, the president’s new budget only reduces Medicare and Medicaid spending by $340 billion over a decade. Democrats have no interest in reform.

Our potential unfunded liabilities, what our government has promised to spend on entitlement programs in the future and won’t have money to pay, are estimated to total anywhere from $87 trillion to $100 trillion. That doesn’t even include Obamacare’s unseen costs.

Fiscal cliff? We’ve already taken that dive.

***

“This is no time to add any additional burden for middle-class people,” Biden said, seated with his guests at a table after the meal had been cleared.

“It would take 15 minutes from the time the decision was made by the speaker of the House to pass and make permanent a middle-class tax cut,” he said. “The president would probably have me sprint up to the Hill to bring the bill down and to sign it.

“It can be done like that,” he said, with a snap of his fingers.

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Let the naming begin!!

I need a good name for my dog :-)… it’s a male…

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Scamp

Rex

Pluto

Comet

Fritz

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

FlatFoot on December 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Well shucks honey, you are softest squishiest thing here.

cozmo on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I came aboard in the last open registration, I think… it’s been several months, I know. :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Seen much this past year, not nearly enough.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Or you can click on her name, but I was too lazy to go find it!

Night Owl on December 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Thanks!

JPeterman on December 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I haven’t read the past two pages but that is just rich. I already know what it will take to have a competitive repub party in CA. Nevah happen GI. How did Fiorina and Whitman work out?

arnold ziffel on December 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Zip or Zippy

Oscar

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Axe on December 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Rotf, Hikarious,

I bet we have many experts on Martian history here. Prolly Schad and Twerp.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Happy anniversary to all the one year olds in the group tonight.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

…Bud Bmore…I just scrolled downed 16 pages…where the he11 did all those “happy to finally be here” people go?
(it was another 24 hours before I got my confirmation…I was trying to get on at work and was having problems…so called my wife at home to do it for me…I was trying to get two names!)

KOOLAID2 on December 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Thanks they have been added!!

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I found a job last week. I worked the last 2 days and I already love it. Too bad I’m going to have to quit the job, though. I was offered a better job today. What’s more is that I had to turn down a third job offer. This after 7 months of almost psychologically-damaging unemployment.

No, Obama had nothing to do with it. I found something not only in my field, but in the exact same industry and line of business and everything. They need me as much as I need them.

Ironically, my new boss is a black man who is proud to be a Capitalist and an American.

God Bless Everyone. Have a great weekend.

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ain’t it the truth! lol! Excellent tune. :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Martian names!! too cool sparky!! ;-)

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

HotAir.com — Guaranteed Soft & Squishy™ Or Your Money Back

FlatFoot on December 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

FlatFoot:
============

Dec 7th 1941
==============================

Today,Dec 7 2012

a date which will live in infamy – the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Liberal Party.

The DNC, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Fiscal Cliff area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense of taxation.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Fiscal Cliff Talks and of the Patriots when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery taxation shall never endanger us again in our
economy.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our taxation are in grave danger.Make Damn Sure Your voices are heard.

With confidence in our armed forces – with the unbounded determination of our people – we will gain the inevitable triumph – so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by the DNC on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Democrat Party.—-(Snark)

canopfor on November 7, 2010 at 10:43 PM

canopfor on December 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I lost my internet connection again last night. I had the service guy out again today. He said he ‘fixed’ something and ‘installed a new part to make sure it doesn’t happen again’. I’m dubious after being systematically lied to for a couple of years…so if I suddenly disappear… please don’t take it personally. :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

This evening one year later. Not completely in tatters.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well good for you. You are very lucky. You hit the Jackie pot cause she is kicking butt also.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

FlatFoot on December 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Well shucks honey, you are softest squishiest thing here.

cozmo on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

You’re on the wrong website.

Check it out HERE, cupcake.

FlatFoot on December 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Evening Dire. I have known you almost one year. ; ) Still much to know.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Hearty Congratulations!! I am sorry it took so long and that you have been so devastated… you are gonna make it!!

I am so happy for you ^5!!

God Bless you

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

How about Bingo?

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations and Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

KOOLAID2 on December 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I remember Kool. The came , they saw, they left. Or never bothered.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Cody1991 on December 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You count. Yes. (:

But I hope you get to laugh between cries

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I am tho, til next week, looking for his owners if they place a lost dog ad, I would return him but after monday, no more looking!

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Scrumpy, my last two dogs were strays. One was a basset hound who followed me home. I couldn’t find the owner. I named him, “Amos”. He was my heart. I tried to find him a good home, but it never worked out. The one time I thought it would work he simply refused, and I brought him back. As we say….. the rest is history.

Mooch, my current love, ran by my office window several times on a cold, rainy day in January, and I couldn’t stand his distress. I rounded him up, called my vet, got his shots……….. and the rest is history.

There’s nothing like a rescue critter. The dogs I raised from pups were little snots. These guys are completely different. . They behave as though every day is a gift, and dealing with their difficulties has made me a much better person.

You might think of St. Francis of Assisi, and call your little guy, “Frank” ?!

Just another idea.

Cody1991 on December 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Uh huh.

Axe on December 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

…Howdy Doody…
(for the way people are always saying ‘hello’ to you…and for the way the dog came into your life…Howdy Doody!

KOOLAID2 on December 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM

…oh…I just saw this!…

Howdy folks!! :-)

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

….SEE!…you’re half way there!

KOOLAID2 on December 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Cheers!

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Could call him Viola. Cause she was cast into a strange land. O!

Pericles.

Axe on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

You’re on the wrong website.

FlatFoot on December 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Considering the amount of whining you do, that most likely applies to you.

Unless you are a masochist along with your other problems.

cozmo on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Zorro

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

U.S. Government Lends $105M to Brazil—to Build Aquarium

Schadenfreude on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Frank…now that’s awesome!!

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I think my mouse is acting up so this will be my last post for a while.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Yep, we all thought pretty highly of this place, the place we call HA, almost Holy.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

So who has read my latest little rant? Raise your hands if you have… Why the Obama Administration keeps misreading the Arab spring. ;P

SWalker on December 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

(Raises Glass) Thanks!

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I think my mouse is acting up so this will be my last post for a while.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Meh, it’s just trying to steal your cheese and wine… ;p

SWalker on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Axe on December 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I might be more apt to believe him, except whatever he did… or allegedly did… he did at ‘the box’ and not even at my house. I have no idea if he actually did anything at all, but I’m willing to see how it works over the weekend… and if it hasn’t improved and become much more reliable… I’m either going to go completely satellite… or I’m going with the single other provider in my entire area which is a standard cable company. The one I have right now runs through the phone land line…when it runs at all.

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Great news..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Merry Christmas to you, as well. :-)

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

U.S. Government Lends $105M to Brazil—to Build Aquarium

Schadenfreude on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

People that throw money around stoned shouldn’t build glass houses.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Let the naming begin!!

I need a good name for my dog :-)… it’s a male…
Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

“Humpy.”

arnold ziffel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Great news..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Frank…now that’s awesome!!

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

How about Frankie?

Chip or Chipper

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Axe on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Could call him ‘Heinlein’ because he wrote ‘Stranger In A Strange Land’.

Or

Asimov… because the Foundation series was way cool. :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Great news..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Are you trying to erase his new job?Hehe

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Well done! Congratulations

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Thank you! :)

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

arnold ziffel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Bwwaaahh.

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

To HA for the year that was. Thank you.

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Uh oh I missed your reply :-(

I hate to be rude and miss anyone… so just asking everyone, is it ok just to say Hi to everyone one time?

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I think my mouse is acting up so this will be my last post for a while.

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

SparkPlug:)

Have you thought about burying your mouse
in sand,up to its clicky part,and get a
bucket of rocks,for a good ole’fashioned

STONING!!

To put some fear into it!

(snark)

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Lol OK!! I do believe I have more than enough names to pick from and it will be luck of the draw, or what he will answer too!! I shall let you all know as time goes on… thanks all so much!!

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Frank…now that’s awesome!!

Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

It reflects your personality, so why not? And beagles, sweet as they are, certainly make their voices heard! They’re so adorable.

Try it on him, and see what he thinks. :)

Cody1991 on December 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Salut! I’m already getting a buzz… ;-P

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Scrumpy:Let me go peek,at the latest polling on that!:)
(sarc)

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

arnold ziffel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

He literally did that to someone already!! I was never so embarrased!! He has not been fixed yet!!

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I hope it has been as enjoyable for you as it has me. I always aimed to comport myself in an honest straightforward fashion. When I came up short. Well…….

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Alrightyy!! ;-)

Uh oh dog time… back in a bit!!

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I need a good name for my dog :-)… it’s a male…
Scrumpy on December 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

“Humpy.”

arnold ziffel on December 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

…I think she found it on Tuesday…Wednesday is Hump day!…oh!…you MEAN!…never mind…you pig!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Scrumpy:Woof…woof:)

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Salut! I’m already getting a buzz… ;-P

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

*clink* to you..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

onlineanalyst on December 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Thanks! It’s awesome to share good news with my ‘soulbrothers’ here. hahaha..

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM

SparkPlug on December 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

LoLz..No way..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

thatsafactjack on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM

If you can afford the cable, that would be my suggestion. I’m almost nearly practically pleased with my cable connection. It’s way faster than you are going to get over a telephone line even if you are using DSL. My up time is not 100 percent, but it’s definitely in the high 90 percent range.

SWalker on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Considering the amount of whining you do, that most likely applies to you.

Unless you are a masochist along with your other problems.

cozmo on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I know you’re just being your usual slapdick troll self — but suffice it to say that your projection is showing.

FlatFoot on December 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Corporal Tunnel on December 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Congratulations both on finding a job and finding one in your field!

Night Owl on December 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Made some dear friends along the way. Good year in that respect.

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Whatever you name him it will be great. He seems to have made you very happy. I love my two dogs. They don’t know everything, have “a better way”, don’t use drugs and act out. They just want to be part of your pack. We have a decent size house and no matter where the wife and I are they want to be in the same room—-rough housing. Apparently the 1/2 acre out back is not sufficient.

arnold ziffel on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

Press Release: U.S. Government Advisory Body Concerned by Draft Egyptian Constitution

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 7, 2012 | By USCIRF

The Egyptian Constituent Assembly on November 30 approved a draft constitution that includes problematic provisions limiting freedom of religion or belief for all Egyptians.
(More….)

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Night Owl on December 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Thanks. You guys have been great. My faith in myself has been restored. My faith in the fate of this nation? That’s to be decided. Cheers and have a great weekend. Merry Christmas!

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

arnold ziffel on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

And if you lock your teenager and your dog in the trunk and come back an hour later, which one will be happy to see you?

davidk on December 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Wish I had that little paw thing to attach to this post….

Anyway, this is such a good thing for you, Scrumpy. I know you will love this little guy and receive his love tenfold. It’s a win-win situation. Go for it, and enjoy!

It’s a perfect Christmas story.

Thanks, Scrumpy. I needed some cheer.

Cody1991 on December 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

SWalker on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Thanks, SWalker. I appreciate the advice. I’m likely going to go that route.

I’d go with the satellite it if it was just for the TV, but we have a number of serious thunderstorms here and it disrupts the signal frequently so for the internet it’s not reliable enough. I can’t tell you how aggravating losing the connection is when I’m researching something. We had a large storm cell circling over us for three days a couple of years ago and it was off more than on for most of it. :(

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

This next year and the next and the next……………..challenges on us all.

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Ok sorry I was gone so long, got a new mouse and had to study the 65 page legal agreement before I clicked agree to install the 3 gigabytes of software.

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Once again..Congrats..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

*************** RED ALERT ***************************

Are you F’n kidding me????????

Egypt detains alleged mastermind behind Benghazi consulate attacks

Muhammad Jamal Abu Ahmad is one of the ‘most menacing operatives’ to have emerged in the region after the Arab Spring, counterterrorism officials tell WSJ
By Michal Shmulovich and AP December 8, 2012, 6:25 am
*******************************************************

Egyptian authorities have detained the alleged mastermind of an Egyptian terror network whose members participated in the September attack on a US consulate in Libya that killed an ambassador and three other Americans, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Muhammad Jamal Abu Ahmad was considered one of the most “menacing operatives to emerge in the region in the wake of the Arab Spring,” according to Western counterterrorism officials, the news site added.

He had operated in Egypt after the fall of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and then traveled to assist Jihadi fighters in Libya, Israel Radio reported. He also reportedly received assistance from al-Qaeda in Yemen.

Also on Friday, Sen. John Kerry said Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has agreed to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about an independent report on the Sept. 11 attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi that killed US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

In a letter Friday to the panel’s members, Kerry indicated that the report from the accountability review board headed by retired diplomat Thomas Pickering is imminent. The Massachusetts Democrat and committee chairman says he’s asked that Pickering and retired Adm. Mike Mullen appear before the committee before Clinton. Mullen, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is a member of the review board.

Clinton has also agreed to testify before the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
==================

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Too cool. You’re cooking, Bmore. :)

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

davidk on December 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

lol. Both would be happy but one might plot revenge.

arnold ziffel on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

To HA for the year that was. Thank you.

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

…this place has become a regular part of my day…I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not?…but I do know that I save a lot of time looking for links and news than I used too…but I could go for days and weeks WITHOUT THAT before…and for some reason I have to peek at Drudge and Hot Air everyday… (like I might miss my daily bowel movement or somethin’)?

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I nominate BMore for top 5 new posters of the year

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

so welcome Cody!! I wish I had a 1/2 acre but living in an apt lots of walkies time will have to suffice I hope he adjusts!!

I am gonna retire for the night…

God Bless each and every one and Merry Christmas!!

Catch you all later… nite nite!!

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

He/She is always here. Great to see and hear from everytime and tonight as well. Seconded.

Corporal Tunnel on December 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Spent a whole lot of evenings right here on my favorite thread at HA. Enjoyed it. ; ) The same door I used one year ago today. Still there.

Bmore on December 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

but suffice it to say that your projection is showing.

FlatFoot on December 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I don’t have to project, I know I am a masochist. Just look at my minion, and my propensity for getting bitten.

You however, refuse to realize you are a fallen arched, sniveling whiner pining for the days of old. That never really were.

You are the brat kid complaining about the cat turd in the sand box you are playing in. The only cat turd in the is sand box tonight is you.

cozmo on December 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM

SWalker on December 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Thanks, SWalker. I appreciate the advice. I’m likely going to go that route.

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

My little brother has satellite, no cable where he lives, and it’s is a problem whenever the weather doesn’t feel like cooperating. Fortunately that isn’t all that often here in SoCal, but often enough that it would drive me buggy…

SWalker on December 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Agree very much. I like HA for the opinions and things I have learned. People who think conservatives have no sense of humor are misinformed, maladjusted and have bad breath and stinky feet.

arnold ziffel on December 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Do ever see Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton “storm chasing”??..:):)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

***Alert ***

(Posting most of the WSJ,otherwise,you’ll
have to pay for it)

So,I wonder if a deal for Blind Shake might now be in the works!

Updated December 7, 2012, 7:47 p.m. ET

Egypt Nabs Suspected Terrorist Ringleader
******************************************

WASHINGTON—Egyptian authorities have detained the alleged ringleader of an Egyptian terrorist network whose members are suspected of participating in the September attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya that killed a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans, U.S. officials said.

The apprehension of Muhammad Jamal Abu Ahmad removes a man who Western counterterrorism officials consider one of the most menacing operatives to emerge in the region in the wake of the Arab Spring. His capture would blunt what authorities say are his efforts to launch a new wing of al Qaeda. The move also shows a willingness by Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood-aligned government to pursue al Qaeda-associated terrorists, counterterrorism specialists say.

Mr. Ahmad, a former Egyptian Islamic Jihad member who was released from prison in Egypt in the wake of last year’s ouster of then-President Hosni Mubarak, was apprehended within roughly the past week, officials said.

U.S. intelligence aided in his capture, an official said. It couldn’t be learned how or where he was caught.

Since his release in March 2011, Mr. Ahmad has been assembling a new terrorist network with training camps in Libya and Egypt, U.S. officials say, referring to it as the Jamal Network. He also secured financing from al Qaeda’s branch in Yemen, U.S. officials say.

U.S. officials haven’t had access to Mr. Ahmad. U.S. intelligence officials have been tracking him for the past several months, since he petitioned al Qaeda leader Ayman al Zawahiri to establish a new Qaeda affiliate he called al Qaeda in Egypt. He is believed to be about 45 years old.

U.S. interest in Mr. Ahmad intensified after U.S. intelligence officials identified operatives from his network at the scene of the fatal attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, officials say.

Mr. Ahmad’s capture is “strategically important” to the U.S., said Seth Jones, an al Qaeda specialist with the Rand Corp. think tank, because his network’s alleged involvement in the Benghazi attacks showed his reach extended beyond Egypt, and more broadly into North Africa. His petitioning to become a new al Qaeda branch suggested more international aspirations, U.S. officials said.

Mr. Ahmad’s terrorist aspirations closer to home appear to have put him in Egyptian authorities’ sights.

In October, Egyptian authorities raided an apartment complex in Cairo’s Nasr City neighborhood and arrested five suspects after a firefight in which one suspect detonated a bomb that set the apartment building ablaze. Authorities alleged that Mr. Ahmad was a key funder and possible leader of what they dubbed the Nasr City Cell, according to local reports.

The group was allegedly plotting an attack against the Interior Ministry and other government institutions and individuals. Egyptian authorities also said the cell was connected to Benghazi.

Aside from a possible indirect connection through Mr. Ahmad, U.S. officials have said they can’t confirm connections between the five men detained in the raid and the Benghazi attacks.

The investigation of the Nasr City Cell led Egyptian authorities to Mr. Ahmad, officials said. One Arabic newspaper reported that the Egyptian Intelligence Directorate took over the interrogation of the five suspects arrested in the raid. The Egyptians haven’t announced the apprehension. Representatives for the Egyptian Embassy in Washington and its mission to the United Nations didn’t respond to requests to comment.

The capture shows the Muslim Brotherhood-linked government of President Mohammed Morsi is pursuing al Qaeda-linked terrorists even at a time of domestic turmoil. That may help allay fears that Islamists in the government would go easy on terrorists, Mr. Jones said.

“It does appear the Egyptian intelligence and security apparatus was concerned about his activities,” Mr. Jones said. “You actually see in a case like this they have been willing to target an individual and a group that has some connection with al Qaeda core in Pakistan.”
=============

canopfor on December 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I am gonna retire for the night…

God Bless each and every one and Merry Christmas!!

Catch you all later… nite nite!!

Scrumpy on December 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Trust me, Scrumpy…. it will work out, and he will adjust. You will be surprised. And it will be wonderful for both of you.

Merry Christmas to you and…………???

We’ll wait to hear the decision.

It all work out.

Wow…. best Christmas present ever!

Cody1991 on December 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I nominate BMore for top 5 new posters of the year

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Cindy Munford and canopfor always win that award..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

cozmo on December 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

FlatFoot on December 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM

…you guys!…cozmo is a troll!…wow!
…hey FlatFoot !…do you live in Washington?…and how big was your bong last night?

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yep.

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I nominate BMore for top 5 new posters of the year

SparkPlug on December 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Cindy Munford and canopfor always win that award..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

…I’ll “fix” it before you do!…they…like you…are fine ‘aged’ wine on this site…Bmore is the newly fermented!…and he does tunes !

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dire Straits on December 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

No. Most of my neighbors and friends are immune to the endless hysterics of the local weather people here. Whenever there is a storm they go berserk on the local channels with their storm trackers and watches. If I hadn’t spent years in California enduring quakes, fires, mudslides, landslides, avalanches, and Santa Ana winds for years it might bother me more, but the threat of imminent disaster wears thin after awhile.

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM