Breaking: DeMint retiring from Senate

posted at 10:46 am on December 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC), who has led conservatives in the upper chamber for years, will resign his office next month, according to a statement from his office earlier this morning.  DeMint will move across town to the Heritage Foundation and will become its new president:

Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) announced that he will leave the Senate at the beginning of January to become the next president of The Heritage Foundation, the largest and most respected conservative think tank in America.

“It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina in United States Senate for the past eight years, but now it’s time for me to pass the torch to someone else and take on a new role in the fight for America’s future.

“I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight. I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas. No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come.

“I’m humbled to follow in the footsteps of Ed Feulner, who built the most important conservative institution in the nation. He has been a friend and mentor for years and I am honored to carry on his legacy of fighting for freedom.

“My constituents know that being a Senator was never going to be my career. I came to Congress as a citizen legislator and I’ve always been determined to leave it as citizen legislator. South Carolina has a deep bench of conservative leaders and I know Governor Haley will select a great replacement.

“One of the most rewarding things I’ve done in the Senate is work with the grassroots to help elect a new generation of leaders who have the courage to fight for the principles of freedom that make this country so great. I’m confident these senators will continue the legacy of conservative leaders before them.”

Jim DeMint was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1998 after owning a successful advertising and market research company for twenty years. DeMint left the House after limiting himself to three terms and then was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004 and re-elected in 2010.

During his time in office, DeMint has been tireless advocate for Americans taxpayers. His goal has been to support and defend the Constitution, which was written to preserve liberty by restraining the federal government. Toward that end, he authored legislation to balance the budget, ban earmarks, replace the tax code, and reform our entitlement programs. He also led the fight against unconstitutional power grabs like the Wall Street bailout and Obamacare.

The Wall Street Journal breaks down the political situation of DeMint’s departure:

Sen. DeMint’s departure means that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, a Republican, will name a successor, who will have to run in a special election in 2014. In that year, both Mr. DeMint’s replacement and Sen. Lindsey Graham will be running for reelection in South Carolina.

Mr. DeMint was reelected to a second term in 2010. The 61-year-old senator had announced earlier that he would not seek a third term.

Frankly, I’m disappointed by the move, although this gives Heritage a big boost.  I had hoped to see DeMint act as a conservative leader in the Senate for the next four years, especially with Democrats taking a bigger majority after this past election.  Haley will make a wise appointment, I’m sure, and other Republicans in the chamber will get an opportunity to fill his shoes. However, considering the fights ahead of us, it would have been much better to have DeMint as a stalwart on the inside rather than an activist on the outside.

Regardless, I wish Senator DeMint the best, and thank him for his invaluable service to the conservative cause over the last several years.  I’m glad we’ll see him at Heritage, and look forward to the great work he will do there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hobbes on December 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

That jumped me too.

Mimzey on December 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

The Dems have something on him. This stuff doesn’t just happen.

What is it politicians say? “Never get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live man?”

They have something on him. Just wait.

NoPain on December 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Demint’s only crime is that he’s a conservative. That’s all, nothing more.

If I saw as to how defeatist and fractured my side is, as Demint has, it would be in my better interests to leave a losing battle rather than to slave away watching whatever coalition exists continue its’ shocking implosion.

Myron Falwell on December 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don’t like the fact that now BOTH senate seats will be up for election in 2014. Will there be primaries for both seats? What if the guy that loses the primary for the one seat could have won if he ran for the other? A shoe-in for DeMint’s seat might be a good challenger for Graham’s seat. Hmm.

Dexter_Alarius on December 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Why oh why couldn’t it have been Graham? Eh, it’s probably a good decision for him. He’ll be in a better position to react to whatever might be on the horizon.

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Here’s another way to think about it:

The Heritage Foundation is 40 years old. The current President has served all of those years and is in his 70s. Many foundations and think-tanks were started by conservatives or moderates and are now run by leftists, including some that are outright Marxists. Think about the Ford Foundation and the Annenberg Foundation. Edsel Ford was a conservative. Walter Annenberg was part of Ronald Reagan’s “Kitchen Cabinet,” for heaven’s sake.

Take a look at what has become of Edsel’s foundation and, especially, to whom it gives its money here:

Lamenting the Foundation’s rejection of the economic system that had made its very existence possible, Mr. Ford wrote in his resignation letter:

“In effect, the Foundation is a creature of capitalism, a statement that, I’m sure, would be shocking to many professional staff people in the field of philanthropy. It is hard to discern recognition of this fact in anything the Foundation does. It is even more difficult to find an understanding of this in many of the institutions, particularly the universities, that are the beneficiaries of the Foundation’s grant programs.”

Take a look at what has become of Annenberg’s foundation and, especially, the projects and programmes it funds here:

For example, Barack Obama sat on the Board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge with Bill Ayers, an unrepentant terrorist, and Mike Klonsky, a former leader of the Marxist-Leninist Communist Party in America.

So, what I’m thinking is that Ed Feulner wanted to ensure that his successor was a true, constitutional conservative. Feulner may be ill and had to speed up the clock or, perhaps, he thinks bringing on DeMint now could create something new in preparation for 2016.

Personally, I think that Heritage has been getting more and more GOPe over the last decade or so. DeMint will provide it with a much-needed course correction. Hopefully, he will also turn it into something more than a “think tank.”

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Disappointing.

Dexter_Alarius on December 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don’t know what the law is in South Carolina but his term would have ended in 2016.

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I’m not impressed with Demint as a warrior. The fact is, we’re losing on every front. So go be another boring think-tanker. Maybe this Scott guy will be better.

rrpjr on December 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

How can we encourage conservatives to run for office when “conservative leaders” hardly finish out their own terms?

Sad.

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Hannity has said over and over again about how he’s friends with Bob Beckel in spite of his being totally wrong on everything.

Myron Falwell on December 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Beckel or any friends conservatives may know, have no power.
Reid has used his power to set up this problem for repubs.
I’ll put on my tinfoil on and suggest that an argument could be made that the reason no budget has been produced for the last 3+ years, and Reid tabling any bills the repubs present, is in part to crash the present system of governing. By having no budget, the spending has no road map, and the dems have no fear of being accused of overspending the budget. With baseline spending being the process that sets the next years spending levels, that action by Reid has purposely set in motion the financial demise of the nation.
This are not the actions of a “good guy” who is not a problem

Mimzey on December 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You should really think before you speak.

portlandon on December 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

diva’s schtick here has always been give-me-convenience-or-give-me-death and instant gratification. Thinking before posting is directly counter to that prime directive.

Christien on December 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Why oh why couldn’t it have been Graham?

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Because “Cupcake wars” doesn’t need a new host yet.

arnold ziffel on December 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Wrong thread. LOL@myself for not thinking before posting. For some reason, I cannot log-in on headline threads. Sorry.

Christien on December 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

The Dems have something on him. This stuff doesn’t just happen.

NoPain on December 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Are you on crack? Of course it does. Earlier this week newly re-elected U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson resigned to take a job with her largest campaign contributor.

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Change I Can Believe In!

Fox has benched Karl Rove and D.ck Morris.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Too bad Sarah Palin doesn’t live in SC. :)

Paul-Cincy on December 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Incredibly disappointing.

El_Terrible on December 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Western_Civ on December 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Hillary was appointed as a senator from New York without any real residency: does SC have different or more stringently enforced requirements?

landlines on December 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

@SarahPalinUSA: A great choice! RT @PeterHambyCNN DeMint has made it known in Columbia that he wants Tim Scott to be appointed to his seat, sources tell CNN

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Just in case you missed this.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Too bad Sarah Palin doesn’t live in SC. :)

Paul-Cincy on December 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

LOL. That would burst some bubbles! I don’t think she’s interested in being limited by a Senate seat. She’s a free Spirit!!

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Change I Can Believe In!

Fox has benched Karl Rove and D.ck Morris.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yes!! Especially Rove, can’t stand him or his chalk board. I can take Morris since he makes sense (most of the time). Rove is a shill for the Bushes and against the Tea Party/Conservatives.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Conservative without portfolio. Like Palin, or Rush, or Hannity, or Krauthammer or George Will.

And won’t he be in a better position to call out the political class than he was as a Senator?

Paul-Cincy on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Don’t listen to Rush, but why in the world would DeMint praise Harry Reid?!? Reid is the biggest obstructionist, the perfect marxist yes man to the Dear Leader, & does what every other Democrat does…lies.

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Another misunderstanding of the Constitution on your part.

Dante

I’d say you’re the one with the misunderstanding. He never said it was a constitutional issue. Doesn’t change the fact that some private entities allow more free speech than others. And it’s perfectly within their rights to do so.

I have friends that are total D-bags. Chances are we all do.

Myron Falwell

That’s different than saying Harry Reid is a friend and he’s not a problem. He absolutely is a problem. If Demint doesn’t get that, it’s probably a good thing he’s resigning.

xblade on December 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Just the retirement part, right? You don’t want Graham at Heritage do you?

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Christien on December 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

You shouldn’t have to log in again if you log in once on any HA thread.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Guys, I don’t think I’d get too excited about the fact that Sen. DeMint didn’t dump on Reid, they all do that “friends” bull hockey. They can’t appear to take this stuff personally, especially Republicans.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Boehner will be resigning in disgrace within a year.

HondaV65 on December 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Heh. As if. You have to have a functioning conscience to feel disgrace. And to have a conscience, you have to have some principles. Boehner’s there forever. Maybe minority leader, maybe speaker, but not going anywhere.

Hell, he probably thinks he’s doing a great job.

bofh on December 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

the others are media personalities (well I guess all but DeMint are these days) but how exactly do we persuade conservatives to run for office when our “leaders” just up and quit before their own terms of office expire?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yep, I was just astonished when DeMint took Harry’s side. All those “attributes” you listed are NOT those of a good guy!

Hobbes on December 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hopefully it means you’re waking up and will now pause and think when people say there are no differences between the two parties.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Thats quite a leap in reasoning to connect your claim of Demints comment to “no difference” between the parties.

Do you think the same situation would be happening if Romney was elected instead of Obama?

Mimzey on December 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

so he is a liar?

equanimous on December 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Hell, he probably thinks he’s doing a great job.

bofh on December 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Boehner is a guy who in his early years in the House used to hand out checks from the tobacco lobby on the House floor.

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

10. America is more polarized than ever; and this time it’s personal. I’ve been following politics for a long time, and it feels different this time. Not just for me. I’ve received messages from other conservatives who are saying the same thing: there is little to no tolerance left out there for those who are bringing this country to its knees – even when they have been our friends. It isn’t just about “my guy” versus “your guy.” It is my view of America versus your view of America – a crippled, hemorrhaging, debt-laden, weakened and dependent America that I want no part of and resent being foisted on me. I no longer have any patience for stupidity, blindness, or vulgarity, so with each dumb “tweet” or FB post by one of my happily lefty comrades, another one bites the dust, for me. Delete. What does this portend for a divided Congress? I expect that Republicans will be demoralized and chastened for a short time. But I see them in a bad position. Americans in general want Congress to work together. But many do not want Obama’s policies, and so Republicans who support them will be toast. Good luck, guys.

11. It’s possible that America just has to hit rock bottom. I truly believe that most Americans who voted for Obama have no idea what they are in for. Most simply believe him when he says that all he really wants is for the rich to pay “a little bit more.” So reasonable! Who could argue with that except a greedy racist? America is on a horrific bender. Has been for some time now. The warning signs of our fiscal profligacy and culture of lack of personal responsibility are everywhere – too many to mention. We need only look at other countries which have gone the route we are walking now to see what is in store.

For the past four years – but certainly within the past campaign season – we have tried to warn Americans. Too many refuse to listen, even when all of the events that have transpired during Obama’s presidency – unemployment, economic stagnation, skyrocketing prices, the depression of the dollar, the collapse of foreign policy, Benghazi, hopelessly inept responses to natural disasters – can be tied directly to Obama’s statist philosophies, and his decisions.

What that means, I fear, is that they will not see what is coming until the whole thing collapses. That is what makes me so sad today. I see the country I love headed toward its own “rock bottom,” and I cannot seem to reach those who are taking it there.

Laura Hollis

Starve the Looters!!!

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Eh, it’s probably a good decision for him. He’ll be in a better financial position. to react to whatever might be on the horizon.

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FTFY.
DeMint’s Senate salary: $174,000
Salary of Heritage President: $947,999 (in 2008).

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Thanks for the info and your perspective, which is a good way to look at it.

His short explanation when he was on Rush’s show earlier today made sense to me.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Conservative without a brain might be a better way of describing Hannity. Other than Palin and Rush, I sincerely question whether any of the names on your list are true conservatives. Hannity is a GOP hack (e.g. his recent support of amnesty – must have received the same GOP talking points memo Ed got); Krathammer is a neocon and Will is a Beltway elitist.

bw222 on December 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Why are you ragging on DeMnt so badly?

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The corrupt RINO witch better pick a real conservative “

redware on December 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

DFCtomm on December 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Unfortunately, deMint’s decision will probably make it more difficult to primary Miss Lucy in 2014.

bw222 on December 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Laura Hollis

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Those of you lamenting over his “quitting” should worry more about
how a person performs in their gov/senate/house, etc. jobs than
the amount of time they are in office. Quality over quantity;
have you heard of it?!

As for Palin, don’t worry, she is like Arnold. She will be back (not that she ever went away). She is not going
anywhere. I must admit, however, she has been very quiet lately.
Gearing up for something I suspect, or taking a sabbatical, while
the idiots in the gop continue to mostly screw up. Perhaps a
run for McCain’s senate seat when he retires (she does have a home
in Arizona). However, why would she want to limit herself?

As for DeMint…a good move by the Heritage Foundation; I fully
expect things to ramp up for the conservative message; DeMint knows his stuff and if this group is backed by the Koch Brothers,
he has the funding to get the conservative message out.

And as far as him making some bucks, good for him! He has done us
proud with his service to our country.

Amjean on December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Those of you lamenting over his “quitting” should worry more about
how a person performs in their gov/senate/house, etc. jobs than
the amount of time they are in office. Quality over quantity;
have you heard of it?!

anywhere. I must admit, however, she has been very quiet lately.
Gearing up for something I suspect, or taking a sabbatical, while
the idiots in the gop continue to mostly screw up. Perhaps a
run for McCain’s senate seat when he retires (she does have a home
in Arizona). However, why would she want to limit herself?

As for DeMint…a good move by the Heritage Foundation; I fully
he has the funding to get the conservative message out.

And as far as him making some bucks, good for him! He has done us
proud with his service to our country.

Amjean on December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Isn’t the place that the conservative message is lacking the place he just left?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

You mean the same guy who said Bradly Maning is a hero, that Sen Paul

KBird on December 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Rand Paul has also talked about working with Dems on the infamous “path to citizenship” recently.

bw222 on December 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Why are you ragging on DeMint so badly?

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Regardless of ideology, I think that ditching your constituents 2 years into a 6 year term reeks of the rat deserting the sinking ship. Unbecoming, to say the least.

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I like DeMint. Did I agree on him with everything no…but overall he was the lone conservative voice in the Senate before Rand Paul and Mike Lee.

I noticed he had been very quiet these last few months. Now I know why.

I felt better hearing Demint on Rush too. I think he has a bigger plan and I wish him well and success.

And as far as him making a nice salary….good for him.

CoffeeLover on December 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

This is what Sen. DeMint did for the Senate through his Senate Conservatives Fund PAC:

Cruz (TX)
Flake (AZ)
Fischer (NE)
Toomey (PA)
Rubio (FL)
Rand Paul (KY)
Lee (UT)
Johnson (WI)
…likely Scott (SC) now joins this list

Personally, I’m encouraged DeMint is joining Heritage.

EternalVigilance on December 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Not only lacking but totally unappreciated by anyone there.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

So, his 15 years of representation mean nothing?

My, how concerned you are.

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

KBird on December 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Can I have a link on Rand Paul calling Bradley Manning a hero? I googled it but the only luck I had was what my computer called a site pretending to be Twitchy.com and that I was risking my computer by going there. Direct search on Twitchy resulted in zero results.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Look what DeMint’s leaving behind: A republican party that trashed Allen West’s chances for re-election via redistricting; a speaker of the House that cried “I get it”, & went right back to his rino ways; & how painful would it be to see McConnell running against contraceptive progressive Ashley Judd?

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The GOP did the same thing with Ann Marie Buerkle, a Grizzly Mama elected in 2010 and with a 100% ACU voting record. They carved up her district so there was no way she could win re-election.

bw222 on December 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes..But looks to me like Demint is looking “big picture”..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

As for DeMint…a good move by the Heritage Foundation; I fully
he has the funding to get the conservative message out.

And as far as him making some bucks, good for him! He has done us
proud with his service to our country.

Amjean on December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Exactly. Staying in the Senate would just be tilting at the GOP windmill with the occasional soundbite escaping out into the LSM. Not to mention being shut out of key leadership roles, as Boner is currently doing to the conservatives in the House.

As for the conservatives left behind in both the House & Senate, now is the time for them to follow his lead in leaving the GOP. They should switch to either the Conservative or Constitutional Party and continue to causcus with the GOP. This way, they can augment the GOP when as applicable or stand athwart when otherwise required in order to stay true to their principles. By serving out their term in the Not-GOP, they stand a better chance of being relected due to incumbency, plus lend cred to the other parties so that we can begin to dump the GOP on the ashheap along with the Whigs. Lincoln would never have made President if there weren’t already GOPs in the House & Senate in the couple of cycles leading up to 1860 election.

AH_C on December 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Similar, in a sense. I resigned recently, too.
No one listening, all playing along…
Maybe, he can do better things at Heritage, I don’t know.

I always thought he fought the good fight, without disposition.
Otherwise known as clout.

Have as merry a ‘Merry Christmas’ as you can, Gasians.
I love you all and won’t give up.
To my dieing day. ‘dieing’ seems a _not_ word, yet, it is.

In case you were wondering, I am an eternal optimist.
Up early, up late.

Best to Sen. Jim DeMint.

mickytx on December 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

West is a progressive so let’s put that out of our minds once and for all. His voting record is available for everyone to puke over.
———————————
Did anyone else catch the targeting of Boehner in the Rush interview? I believe it was Feulner that said it might not be the Congress per se that takes Boehner down.

I like this type of talk.

Mr. Arrogant on December 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

All men are not created equal.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Wow.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

What part baffles you? The part where he’s right or the part where he came out and said it?

We are all accidents of birth. Some of us hit the beauty lottery, some of us are born into a wealthy family and some of us are born on a plain in Africa where life will be miserable. Most of us somewhere in between. That doesn’t sound equal to me, but you go ahead and continue to attempt your political correctness shaming.

Most of us are smarter than that.

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

CoffeeLover on December 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

He wasn’t the lone conservative. The other unsung hero is Sen. Jeff Sessions from Alabama. He just doesn’t get as much attention. DeMint and Sessions are two of three reasons that amnesty didn’t go through in 2006/2007. The third part of that equation was the outrage of the American (as in real American) people. It breaks my heart to see him leave, but he fought the good fight while he was there.

TxAnn56 on December 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Win/win from where I see it.

DeMint will now be more able to control money flow to GOP candidates. Main reason we may be seeing McConnell more “conservative” in the past week or so.

And we should be able to find an able replacement for him. Something tells me that he already discussed names before his announcement.

riddick on December 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM

So, his 15 years of representation mean nothing?

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Serious question — what were his major legislative accomplishments in the House and/or Senate?

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Bro, who DO you like?

VegasRick on December 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Obama

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

steebo77 on December 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Does she really think she is helping the Republicans? She is probably happy that she will have plenty of columns in the future trashing Heritage. She’s a dumbazz.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Amjean on December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

The senate? Who pays attention to the senate? Seriously? We’re junkies. The average person has no clue.

No. The media and messaging are the issue. If DeMint can make a difference in getting a coherent message out in 30 second soundbites for the nitwits, then he’s worth his weight in gold.

We’ll see. However, I don’t blame him for running away from the stench and rot that’s going to be routine from the Obama admin.

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

What were Obama’s?

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Serious question: Are you a Moby?

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Manning is a whistleblower and a hero.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Just in case anyone missed this in the Green Room post about traitor Bradley Manning.

M240H on December 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Manning is a whistleblower and a hero.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM

M240H on December 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Why do you even pay attention to racist anti-semites?

riddick on December 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

and these people pay attention to the Heritage Foundation?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

TxAnn56 on December 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

You are right. I completely forgot about Jeff Sessions…esp while now listening to the Dems Begich in Alaska and now Merkley in Oregon talking about the Fiscal Cliff. Oivey these people just are in DENIAL.

CoffeeLover on December 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Most of us are smarter than that.

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

And some of us never get a chance to live because of animals like Nancy Pelosi, Sandra Fluke, Leah Dunham and Obama.

Myron Falwell on December 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

and these people pay attention to the Heritage Foundation?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Are you being dense on purpose?

kim roy on December 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Christien on December 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Log in on one of the main threads…then you can comment everywhere…but, likely you know this already.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

EternalVigilance on December 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yes, DeMint’s Senate Conservative Fund had a lot of success. The ones you listed won, others were financially supported, but didn’t win.

Not taking anything away from DeMint, but want to give Palin credit for her endorsements of those you listed.

It almost seems they were working as a team:-) Probably not, maybe just appears that way.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

If “Harry Reid is a good guy” then DeMint has overdosed.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

We need the equivalent of MoveOn.org and other Soros institutions on the right. Maybe Demint can give Heritage a more activist wing.

We need Cuda in the Senate more than ever, y’all.

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

TxAnn56 on December 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh, yes. Jeff Sessions is smart and is a favorite of mine too.
Since you mentioned Amnesty, I think Jeb Bush is next in line. I’ve seen a couple of his comments about Immigration, etc.
Now I’m convinced! Guess who has finally made an appearance after all of this time???? George W. LOL Subject? Immigration!!

Bush Team Uses Immigration Issue to Try to Re-Establish Party Control http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/05/Bush-Team-Uses-Immigration-Issue-to-Try-To-Re-Establish-Party-Control

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I think they were frequently on the same page. It’s time for her to run for senate from AK.

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We need Cuda in the Senate more than ever, y’all.

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

After the GOP completes their self-immolation and gets annhilated on all fronts a la the Whigs, maybe she can be the leader of the new Tea Party.

Myron Falwell on December 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Come on, now, what did you really expect him to say?

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Maybe he can keep Heritage from being advertised as the developer of some new big government take over as in the case of Obamacare.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Part of me is giving up. Romney was right about 1 thing: the 47%…more like 52% since the Dear Leader’s re-election. This is just another downer along the trail, who’s coming in January? Fauxcahontas, followed by the newly elected far left liberal progressive from Wisconsin, liberal FL. rep Patrick Murphy taking over Allen West’s position, who has shown open disdain for the Tea Party movement, 6 more years & probably forever of Claire McCaskill, an avid supporter of Obamacare….sorry for the rambling. My sister & I are talking about what’s the use of ever voting again?

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Don’t worry about rambling, you aren’t alone.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

mickytx on December 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Being optimistic and a realist at the same time with Faith as my foundation is my way of looking at things.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas as well and a Happy New Year!!

Even politics and the corruption cannot take my Joy and hope it won’t take others. Life is a Gift!! Enjoy Friends and Family and fellow like minded bloggers!!!

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Come on, now, what did you really expect him to say?

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

That Harry Reid acts more like a mobster boss and has illegally not offered a budget, for ex./starters.

That Reid is for a simple majority dictatorial move, for another ex.

It’s nice to be nice but losing is not winning. When DeMint says that “Harry Reid is NOT the problem” the land is further gone than already assumed.

Enjoy.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

What were Obama’s?
Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Per Wikipedia:

Obama cosponsored the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act.[76] He introduced two initiatives that bore his name: Lugar–Obama, which expanded the Nunn–Lugar cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons;[77] and the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006, which authorized the establishment of USAspending.gov, a web search engine on federal spending.[78] On June 3, 2008, Senator Obama—along with Senators Tom Carper, Tom Coburn, and John McCain—introduced follow-up legislation: Strengthening Transparency and Accountability in Federal Spending Act of 2008.[79]
Obama sponsored legislation that would have required nuclear plant owners to notify state and local authorities of radioactive leaks, but the bill failed to pass in the full Senate after being heavily modified in committee.[80] Regarding tort reform, Obama voted for the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which grants immunity from civil liability to telecommunications companies complicit with NSA warrantless wiretapping operations.[81]

Obama and U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) visit a Russian facility for dismantling mobile missiles (August 2005).[82]
In December 2006, President Bush signed into law the Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act, marking the first federal legislation to be enacted with Obama as its primary sponsor.[83] In January 2007, Obama and Senator Feingold introduced a corporate jet provision to the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act, which was signed into law in September 2007.[84] Obama also introduced Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act, a bill to criminalize deceptive practices in federal elections,[85] and the Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007,[86] neither of which was signed into law.
Later in 2007, Obama sponsored an amendment to the Defense Authorization Act to add safeguards for personality-disorder military discharges.[87] This amendment passed the full Senate in the spring of 2008.[88] He sponsored the Iran Sanctions Enabling Act supporting divestment of state pension funds from Iran’s oil and gas industry, which has not passed committee; and co-sponsored legislation to reduce risks of nuclear terrorism.[89] Obama also sponsored a Senate amendment to the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, providing one year of job protection for family members caring for soldiers with combat-related injuries.[90]

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Oh, yes. Jeff Sessions is smart and is a favorite of mine too.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I saw that. If it gives you any comfort, NumbersUSA sent out an alert for members to go their senator’s office today about amnesty. I went to Cornyn’s Houston office around 10:00 and there were already 4 other people there. We let the director know that amnesty will be the death knell for the GOP and warned of the consequences that would befall Cornyn should he vote for amnesty. NumbersUSA was another one of the factors that helped quash amnesty in 2006/2007 and there are hundreds of thousands more members now than 5 years ago. 1.3 million to be exact.

TxAnn56 on December 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Did you have a point?

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Wikipedia? You mean the site that all sorts of Liberals contribute to?

How is that a legitimate source?

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I see your point..But I have to agree with Cindy..What should he have said?..Some folks have honor..:)

PS..Harry Reid will get a visit from “karma”..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Never one to miss an opportunity to slam a person of character, the classless Pelosi weighs in on the DeMint resignation:

Sorry, Pelosi, the Americans have an Americans Disability Act already. We do NOT cede our sovereignty to the UN.

onlineanalyst on December 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Well this is depressing, we just lost our most important leader. Lee, Paul, Cruz, and Rubio are still too young to have much influence in that cesspool of political patronage. Private think tanks like Heritage are toothless in the face of big government and big media, he just castrated himself. :(

I still love him though, hopefully his superpac will keep the heat on the RINOs in the primaries. Maybe now that he is out of the Senate, he will be much harder on his former colleagues like *ahem* Cornyn.

Can Haley appoint herself?

Daemonocracy on December 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

. My sister & I are talking about what’s the use of ever voting again?

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Please do not stop voting..Too many folks are not voting now..:(

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Yes but he’s not an anonymous commenter on a blog, he will have to deal with all these people.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The Heritage Foundation already has a fairly new activist wing.

My discretionary money (shrinking as it is in the Obama economy) has been going to Heritage and DeMint’s Senate Conservative Fund for years. Other than directing small amounts to conservative candidates in various states during election cycles, I have stopped sending money to the “official” RNC groups.

I admire Sen. DeMint deeply. He is a person of integrity and conservative conviction. I had the pleasure of meeting him personally when he visited our local PA campaign HQ during the 2004 election.

onlineanalyst on December 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

onlineanalyst on December 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Wow. Pelosi had the exact same reaction to the news as did Jennifer Rubin. Imagine that.

steebo77 on December 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

cam2 on December 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Oh good Lord, I didn’t realize that you are a devotee of The Won. Obama is a miserable thug who has done nothing but rabble rouse and vote present on most major issues. On any day of the week you can link quotes of him supporting either side of any issue based on what is politically expedient for himself. Behold your empty vessel of an idol.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

It could have been worse, he could have linked “Dreams of My Father”.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

+ 100..You are on a roll..Excellent post..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I don’t think so. She would be just another vote. See my comment above: bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

alwaysfiredup on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

We could have 10 of them right now with 10 times the funding and it wouldn’t make a goddamn bit of difference.

What we need are simple warriors who will go out in the media and confront them and the Left and cut them and make them bleed and not shrink when the screaming hate comes at them. We’re losing the battle on the cultural streets and back alleys and think tanks won’t help us win it back. The republicans get pummeled day in and day out when they don’t have to; they could shake things up whenever they wanted but they’d have to take some risks and start offending some people and they simply won’t do it. The Alinksy gambit has worked wonders for the Left and until we challenge it, nothing changes.

rrpjr on December 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

True. That blew the Moby’s cover.

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM