Breaking: DeMint retiring from Senate

posted at 10:46 am on December 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC), who has led conservatives in the upper chamber for years, will resign his office next month, according to a statement from his office earlier this morning.  DeMint will move across town to the Heritage Foundation and will become its new president:

Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) announced that he will leave the Senate at the beginning of January to become the next president of The Heritage Foundation, the largest and most respected conservative think tank in America.

“It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina in United States Senate for the past eight years, but now it’s time for me to pass the torch to someone else and take on a new role in the fight for America’s future.

“I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight. I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas. No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come.

“I’m humbled to follow in the footsteps of Ed Feulner, who built the most important conservative institution in the nation. He has been a friend and mentor for years and I am honored to carry on his legacy of fighting for freedom.

“My constituents know that being a Senator was never going to be my career. I came to Congress as a citizen legislator and I’ve always been determined to leave it as citizen legislator. South Carolina has a deep bench of conservative leaders and I know Governor Haley will select a great replacement.

“One of the most rewarding things I’ve done in the Senate is work with the grassroots to help elect a new generation of leaders who have the courage to fight for the principles of freedom that make this country so great. I’m confident these senators will continue the legacy of conservative leaders before them.”

Jim DeMint was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1998 after owning a successful advertising and market research company for twenty years. DeMint left the House after limiting himself to three terms and then was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004 and re-elected in 2010.

During his time in office, DeMint has been tireless advocate for Americans taxpayers. His goal has been to support and defend the Constitution, which was written to preserve liberty by restraining the federal government. Toward that end, he authored legislation to balance the budget, ban earmarks, replace the tax code, and reform our entitlement programs. He also led the fight against unconstitutional power grabs like the Wall Street bailout and Obamacare.

The Wall Street Journal breaks down the political situation of DeMint’s departure:

Sen. DeMint’s departure means that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, a Republican, will name a successor, who will have to run in a special election in 2014. In that year, both Mr. DeMint’s replacement and Sen. Lindsey Graham will be running for reelection in South Carolina.

Mr. DeMint was reelected to a second term in 2010. The 61-year-old senator had announced earlier that he would not seek a third term.

Frankly, I’m disappointed by the move, although this gives Heritage a big boost.  I had hoped to see DeMint act as a conservative leader in the Senate for the next four years, especially with Democrats taking a bigger majority after this past election.  Haley will make a wise appointment, I’m sure, and other Republicans in the chamber will get an opportunity to fill his shoes. However, considering the fights ahead of us, it would have been much better to have DeMint as a stalwart on the inside rather than an activist on the outside.

Regardless, I wish Senator DeMint the best, and thank him for his invaluable service to the conservative cause over the last several years.  I’m glad we’ll see him at Heritage, and look forward to the great work he will do there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

I don’t know anything about DeMint

but I don’t like anyone in Congress. The more of these losers gone the better.

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

What an educated, nuanced view. There are people in Congress with just about every conceivable political position, and from all sorts of backgrounds. They can’t all be wrong.

A more reasonable position might be to figure out which members of Congress are furthest from your beliefs, and work to have them replaced with members closer to your positions. That way, in time, Congress will move toward your positions.

Or, you can just throw up your hands and say nothing matters. How has that worked for you in the past? In my experience, expecting things to change on their own yields unsatisfactory results.

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

He sounds like one of those “always gets voted back in” career politicians. Good riddance.

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

….and the hits just keep on coming.

ElectricPhase on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

COWARD! When the going gets tough, the tough..resign. You are pathetic. Thanks for nothing. POS

TeaParty on December 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

This is not a Sarah Palin thread. Take it easy.

CorporatePiggy on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

SC.Charlie on December 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Are you okay, Darlin! We need you.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I believe that Ryan was offered the Heritage post, but he clearly has his eye on the Presidency.

Illinidiva on December 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Why, is he next in line?

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Who isn’t an enemy of liberty in your eyes? You see enemies everywhere.

thebrokenrattle on December 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’m sure he loves Alex Jones.

steebo77 on December 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

not exactly reasonable, as I don’t live in SC, nor care about SC

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

LoL. I see someone’s been taking full advantage of the Colorado weed legalization.

The Count on December 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Well, he supported the Patriot Act and voted on its renewal. Voted yes on supporting a Constitutional amendment against flag desecration, and holds that belief. Voted no on requiring FISA court warrant to monitor US-to-foreign calls. Voted yes on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. Voted no on preserving habeas corpus for Guantanamo detainees.

That’s not a defender of liberty.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This is not a Sarah Palin thread. Take it easy.

CorporatePiggy on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Somehow I don’t think it was a joke this time.

steebo77 on December 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

At least Heritage will get more conservative…

myrenovations on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

thebrokenrattle on December 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Probably has a big picture of The Won with a faux halo on a prominent wall in his dwelling.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Trey Gowdy or Bobby Harrell would make good replacments

tmitsss on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Demint is my senator. He did say he wasn’t going to be a careerist there and he’s made good on that. I was hopeful that his PAC would produce conservatives and it did. His support brought Rand Paul and Rubio and others. There were a few clunkers along the way but, in all, he’s making the RINOS happy by leaving.

Hailey is a governor with tea party notions who rankles the good old boy politicians around here. Am hoping she appoints the Lt. Governor to the office. He’s no DeMint, but solid in the conservative department who wouldn’t join the RINO club.

kens on December 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

myrenovations on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

+ One Trillion

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

@PeterHambyCNN DeMint has made it known in Columbia that he wants Rep. Tim Scott to be appointed to his seat, sources tell CNN.

LOL. Just a few minutes ago Hamby tweeted that Scott wants to run for Governor.

rockmom on December 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I think this is a good thing. Haley appoints another Republican, who will spend the next few years in the DO NOTHING Senate under Reid. I think DeMint could do more good working at the Heritage Foundation, perhaps helping a fledgling third party get off the ground. Okay, that last part was wishful thinking.

Night Owl on December 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Who is John Galt?

Hobbes on December 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Norwegian on December 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

thebrokenrattle on December 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

He’s nuttier than squirrel shit.

SWalker on December 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Quitter!!!! just quitting elected office to make money!!! I’m sure all of you will drop him like a sack of potatoes just like you did to Sarah Palin, even though her being in elected office as Governor was causing her to go personally bankrupt from having to personally pay to defend herself in court.

rjc115 on December 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ffs, this has nothing to do with her. Think it’s time to move on from the Palin obsession already.

changer1701 on December 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

rjc115 on December 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

+++

cptacek on December 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

not exactly reasonable, as I don’t live in SC, nor care about SC

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

You can work to unseat candidates who aren’t in your district. Your wallet, your phone, your email can all influence primaries and general elections. But I’m surprised SC Senators are the furthest from your beliefs. I guess you’re closer to sharing Bernie Sanders’ philosophy, or Nancy Pelosi’s philsophy, than Jim DeMint’s?

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Nikki Haley appointing Joe Wilson would be a big ol’ FU to Obama.

But I do think Tim Scott or Trey Gowdy would both make a good Senator.

steebo77 on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Tim Scott!, but wouldn’t Joe Wilson drive the Left crazy? – Tater Salad on December 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Joe Wilson just is my representative. He has all the charisma of a sponge. Also, he does not have the fire in the belly to run for any further higher office. It will be interesting to see who does step forward and wants to be the next Senator from South Carolina. Will we get another John C. Calhoun or just another warm body running for office?

SC.Charlie on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

changer1701 on December 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

rjc115 isn’t commenting directly on Palin, just the reaction to her resignation vs. Demint’s resignation.

cptacek on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He knows what’s coming and wants no part of it.

DanMan on December 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My take. Reid runs the Senate, Obama just won reelection, Boehner’s pushing conservatives out of leadership spots…

We need as many conservatives as we can get to stand firm (ish?) in political/legislative circles, but Demint can’t make a huge difference where he is.

Leading Heritage, though, he can have quite a megaphone saying “this is a bad idea! ” to the public/grassroots when idiotic ideas are proposed, and shining the spotlight on failures of those policies when enacted.

Can’t blame him- especially with the likelihood of having someone else probably voting pretty much as he does in his “old” seat, while he takes up the new position.

cs89 on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

changer1701 on December 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

So, he’s not a quitter then?

HerneTheHunter on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Go tim Scott!

cmsinaz on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I just heard this on Beck’s program. Disappointed to say the least, especially at this time. He has been a stalwart in the Senate and has served his State, the Country and the Conservative Cause better than anyone I know.

Thanking him for his service under trying conditions and wish him the best in his new role.

God Bless you, Jim DeMint.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Maybe he is listening to all you L.I.B.ers

cptacek on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I may be wrong but I’d put money on the idea that you won’t see Heritage endorsing any future take overs of private industry by the federal government. How many times did we have to hear, “well, Heritage thought government healthcare was a great idea”? I may actually join Heritage now.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Exactly. Heritage gave Romney & Obama a HUGE fig leaf to hide behind in regards to their socialized, federalized health care take over.

A shameful deed by Heritage.

portlandon on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hey, I’m sure DeMint would stick around if he thought that he could accomplish anything. But truthfully, the disfunctional Congress is clearly evident when one belongs to the minority party in the US Senate. They haven’t even passed or even considered a budget in four years. How much of that should any individual have to take?

The other reality is that it has been known for some time that the Heritage Foundation’s Ed Feulner was going to leave. Sometimes the timing of such opportunities can’t wait until completing one’s elective term of office. For that reason, I can’t fault DeMint for leaving before the end of his term. And with Governor Haley in charge, it is reasonable to believe that a competent conservative is appointed and it will not become the auction that Illinois had when the rat-eared wonder was elected President.

Happy Nomad on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

He’s nuttier than squirrel shit.

SWalker on December 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

He’s definitely here for our entertainment.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

No.. idesign But Ryan is clearly running for President in 2016 which is easier to do if you remain in the public office. The Demint appointment confirmed some hints that were already out there about some advisors wanting Ryan to resign his House seat.

Illinidiva on December 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Maybe he’s clearing the decks (and getting the stench of Congress off him) in preparation for a 2016 run. By then, hopefully Americans will be appalled enough by socialism to want a change.

michaelo on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

No. He’s not prepping for a 2016 run for president. Heritage wants someone long term and I’m sure that when he agreed to go over there he also agreed not to run for president in 2016.

dczombie on December 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Tim Scott or Trey Gowdy would be fantastic choices

commodore on December 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Too bad the party people don’t see it…

PetecminMd on December 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Oh, they see it. It’s why they’re desperately trying to create a new “base” for themselves. This year it was going to be independents, in 2016 they’ll try for Hispanics.

Doomberg on December 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

You Heard It Here First: Senator Tim Scott 2016!!!

Looks like I was off by 4 years. He’s always said that he would only serve 2 terms in the Senate.

Jim DeMint is brilliant and I have to believe that this deal was worked out with Gov Haley. We’re going to LOVE Senator Tim Scott!!

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

CorporatePiggy on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

No, it’s not. One resigned to save her family from going bankrupt. The other, well..f**k cares.

HerneTheHunter on December 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Voted no on preserving habeas corpus for Guantanamo detainees.

That’s not a defender of liberty.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

And the detainees at Gitmo deserved habeas corpus why?

Johnson v. Eisentragger had that matter settled decades ago, which is why Gitmo was chosen as the repository for those semi-stateless al-Qaeda persons swept up in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Boumediene v. Bush was a travesty tantamount to Dred Scott v Sanford.

The USSC had no reason to accept arguments, let alone rule on Boumediene other than to pander to the Left, world opinion, penumbras and such, and ignore the Constitution.

coldwarrior on December 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

none of these clowns is getting in my wallet. The problem with your approach is Conservatives are afraid to not also be SoCons. So I support a limited government candidate, but get a Moralist.

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Frankly, I’m disappointed by the move, although this gives Heritage a big boost. I had hoped to see DeMint act as a conservative leader in the Senate for the next four years, especially with Democrats taking a bigger majority after this past election. Haley will make a wise appointment, I’m sure, and other Republicans in the chamber will get an opportunity to fill his shoes. However, considering the fights ahead of us, it would have been much better to have DeMint as a stalwart on the inside rather than an activist on the outside.

Sorry Nikki Haley is just another establishment “knows where the bread is buttered” republican.

NOT GOOD for the Conservative movement.

…..but hey, we’re used to getting news that’s “not good”. We’ve been getting it since 1988.

PappyD61 on December 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I hope Gov. Haley doesn’t nominate herself. She needs to finish out her term as governor. I think the biggest thing that killed Palin’s career was her not finishing her term as governor.

dczombie on December 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The far left, in their blind zeal to destroy Sarah Palin, made sure that she would not be able to effectively govern the state by bringing endless frivolous lawsuits against her (the defense of which would be paid for by the taxpayers of Alaska). The distraction that this created made it all but impossible for her to stay on as Governor.

Palin resigning was the most selfless thing she could have done under the circumstances. Don’t believe it when the left tells you that she quit to write books and become a celebrity.

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Getting out while the getting is good, still, he signed up for a full term and should have served it out.

Bishop on December 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

“QUITTER”.

PappyD61 on December 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

With any luck, in 2014 the tea party will primary Lindsay Graham and whoever Haley appoints and we’ll lose two more seats.

Would that primary opponent be….
Jim DeMint?

Another Drew on December 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

He’s headed to DeMint’s Gulch, I guess.

Scott P on December 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I loled.

ebrawer on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

And the detainees at Gitmo deserved habeas corpus why?

Boumediene v. Bush was a travesty tantamount to Dred Scott v Sanford.

coldwarrior on December 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Because it’s an unalienable right, that’s why.

Do you understand how illogical and foolish it is to use a government’s own decisions supporting its violation and infringment of rights? “Hey, government is infringing on rights! Let’s get government to decide the matter.”

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Trey Gowdy

…should have been the first comment.

Alas, with Nikki Haley appointing, some squish will be there, to hold the seat worm, for herself. Fluke them all, incl. Miss Lindsey, not in a good way.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Going Galt, eh?

The fact that we don’t have 40+ Republican Senators who champion the Constitution as DeMint did is yet another indication that it’s over.

beatcanvas on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

This year it was going to be independents, in 2016 they’ll try for Hispanics.

Doomberg on December 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yup. Illinois Republicans are ahead of the curve…

Fallon on December 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

DeMint is a “purist,” so a think tank job is a better fit than public office. As for running for President, being a Senator gets more exposure than running a think tank.

Illinidiva on December 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Dishcloth ragtags have NO rights, especially not in the US. They are not Soldiers.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

(the defense of which would be paid for by the taxpayers of Alaska Palin).
UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

cptacek on December 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Sometimes you just gotta know when to fold ‘em.
This is my FIRST TIME BACK ON ANY political site, since two days after Obummer won the election.

I have bunkered down…ALL contact with the world has been turned off: radio, tv news and the internet.
I’m no longer depressed crying over the state of our country.

I’ve redirected my energies into Christmas lights.
I now have one of those redneck Christmas light displays…most everything is covered in lights outside…the house, the trees, the fence.

Airplanes flying into DFW now use my house as a beacon for directional help!

I’m happy enough now.
After reading Hot Air, for a sneak peek for only half an hour, I’m already depressed again.
Back to living in my bubble.
Will surface again in 4 years.

Typicalwhitewoman on December 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

@SarahPalinUSA: We look forward to Jim DeMint’s new leadership at the Heritage Foundation, and we’re all grateful for his past leadership in the Senate.

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

And???

In 2010, Tim Scott became the first Republican African-American Representative from South Carolina since 1901. What makes Tim Scott’s election so telling is that the 1st Congressional District was a Democratic stronghold after the Reconstruction era due to the disfranchisement of African-American citizens in 1896 under the new state constitution and stayed that way through most of the 20th century.

Anyhoo, Tim Scott ran against Strom Thurmond’s son, Paul, in the Republican primary. Again, Tim is black. Paul is white. In this South Carolina district that the Left undoubtedly would claim is full of white racists, Congressman Scott received twice as many votes as Paul Thurmond, the son of a state legend, who actually was a segregationist. Given the love Progressives have for them, I’m sure that idiots like Chris Matthews and Laurence O’Donnell would claim that “Thurmond” could be a “dog-whistle.” You know, something like “vote for me and I’ll be a racist like my dad and Al Gore’s father. I’ll make sure that we cut those welfare queens off of the teat and your tax dollars!” Hint, hint. Wink, wink.

When given one last chance to “vote for the white guy and stop the n-word,” the people of the 1st Congressional District of South Carolina voted for the black guy and buried the white Democrat by a margin of 65 to 29 percent. There’s only one word to describe that beating: B-R-U-T-A-L.

How bad of a beating was it? Consider this: Alvin Greene lost to Senator Jim DeMint by a margin of 63% to 28%.

The black Tim Scott beat the white Democrat by a larger margin than the white Senator, Jim DeMint, beat the black Alvin Greene.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

From Ed Fuelner, current Heritage President:

Three years ago, I told the Heritage Foundation’s Board of Trustees that I would step down as president in April of 2013. I urged them to set up a formal succession process and begin a national search.

During their nationwide search, the Board looked for a successor who would keep Heritage on its course of growth and innovation, and preserve our widely acknowledged status as an institutional center of the conservative movement. And the Board has found a splendid successor.

I’m delighted to announce that the Board has elected Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina to take over next April as President of The Heritage Foundation.

The timing means that if DeMint wanted this job, he had to quit the Senate. This position wouldn’t have been open by the time he served his entire term.

I don’t think there’s any conspiracy here, or that DeMint is going along with the “Let it Burn” crowd. If he was, he wouldn’t be taking the lead role at Heritage, he would be cashing out as a lobbyist for PHARMA or something…

visions on December 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

This is the end of the GOP.

Karl Denninger thinks it’s a tipping point:

And it’s worth reading the comments because he won’t be explicit about what he means (KD is Genesis in the comments):

However, he does rule a few things out and by the second page you have a pretty good idea what he thinks is coming.

gh on December 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

@JimDeMint: It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina, now it’s time to pass the torch and take on a new role http://t.co/xcNHygox

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

So, he’s not a quitter then?

HerneTheHunter on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Obviously he is, and I’ve already stated that I think it’s a lousy move. Doesn’t mean Palin is relevant at all to the discussion.

changer1701 on December 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

@TabithaHale: RT @RobertBluey: Standing ovation for @EdFeulner and @JimDeMint. They’re addressing @Heritage staff right now. http://t.co/BjiqxUgu

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Trey Gowdy

…should have been the first comment.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Yes. I’ve been a fan of Gowdy since he cam eon to the scene. Solid conservative, and this would be a great opportunity for him to raise his profile.

But you’re right, Haley probably won’t appoint a conservative.

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

ciao!

sesquipedalian on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I’d like to see every single entrenched politician out on their @ss

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

read Eisentragger.

Get back to me.

Our Constitution covers citizens of the United States of America, you know, “We the People.”

It does not cover the government nor citizens of Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe or Hutus in Rwanda…unless or until they step on US soil. Period.

coldwarrior on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Tim Scott? Other than following the dems. and using identity politics such as race or sex to put a token black pub. in the Senate, why is Tim Scott the leading candidate among HA posters? If he is the best, good. If not, bad.

they lie on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Gowdy is pretty awesome in Congressional hearings

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Take care and enjoy! I am in the anger stage of my grief and while I don’t know if my decisions at this time are rational, they sure are fun to think about.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Maybe DeMint didn’t want to stand, clap like a trained seal as everyone does when bho does his sotu address?

I sure wish DeMint the best, he is one of the really good ones in dc!
L

letget on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

The Words of Tim Scott

“As I have traveled throughout my Congressional district, the one thing I heard loud and clear was simply please stop spending money you do not have, rein in spending, live within a budget.”

“I think it’s very clear that the American people are frustrated with this move toward socialism. And so whether you’re back or white, if you believe that the conservative construct is in the best interest of our future, than you too would be voting with Republicans, and if you had the opportunity to run you’d join us as well.”

“We do not have a revenue problem in D.C. or this county. We have a prioritization problem. When you create the priorities you fund the priorities of the country and you stop spending money when you get to zero.”

“I don’t necessarily believe there’s a message in the fact that I’m an African-American Republican. I think there is a message that America as a whole, we are now awake. We are looking at a political construct and we’re fairly disappointed. I think the message is no matter where you come from in this country, there is great potential.”

“I see myself as a person who wants to serve the constituents within my district and find a way to move those who are not in our position philosophically to our position.”

“We need the private sector to create jobs. If the government could create jobs Communism would have worked, but it didn’t.”

“Certainly I feel like I’m the tip of the arrow at times because certainly the national media wants to talk about the fact that I’m a black Republican and some people think of that as zany that a black person would be a conservative but to me what is zany is any person black, white, red, brown or yellow not being a conservative.”

“We have to attack those things which stand in the way of America progress. And what stands in the way of American progress right now is the federal government.”

“If you look at the fact that the best chance we have for a good economy is the private sector. The government cannot create jobs. If the government could create jobs, then Communism would have worked. But didn’t work. So what we have to do is allow the private sector and the entrepreneurial spirit to lead us back to a job-filled recovery.”

“I think you hear, at least as an undertone, and it’s going to grow louder, is that we believe that capitalism is the mantra of the day and anything that creeps towards socialism is a problem.”

“And the Tea Party represents many of us who believe that we are taxed enough already. We believe in free markets.”

“But the question we should ask ourselves is, who is the next visionary leader of America? How do we have the aspiration and inspire Americans to reach their highest level? We need a president that does so.”

“Our position should not be on how to eliminate the competition at all expenses, but we should focus on what we’re going to do in order to make sure that Americans turn to the road of prosperity with the trajectory of capitalism, because making a profit is not an evil.”

“There are good people and bad people in all organizations fundamentally however, when you look at the basis of the Tea Party it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with an economic recovery. It has to do with limiting the role of our government in our lives. It has to do with free markets.”

“There is nothing special about Tim Scott. I’m an ordinary guy serving an extraordinary God and that makes the difference.”

“I’m not looking to be dominating all the media outlets … to talk about any issue just to be on TV, I’m not your guy. I’m not going to be ‘the black Republican’. I’m going to be a Republican who happens to be black who will talk about issues that I’m passionate about that are specific to the agenda that I want to accomplish.”

“I think the question is who am I? That’s what we all should be asking ourselves. Who am I? Well, if I am first a Christian conservative then that dictates my response to all questions so my response first as a Christian conservative is to vote consistent with my value system.”

“Starting and feeding into the cultural war is absolutely unequivocally wrong for us as a nation and bad for the conservative movement.”

“I think when you look to the future what you’ll find is that the Republican Party is building a bigger party base on stronger values.”

“The future of the Republican Party and the future of America is based on a values system and the issues that drive those values are on our side.”

“I think about my grandfather who’s 89 years old, and the last thing he needs is more money out of his pocket.”

Tim Scott. True. Conservative. Independent. Future.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I don’t usually LOL, but I LOLled at this.

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Tim Scott. True. Conservative. Independent. Future.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

What are your thoughts on Trey Gowdy?

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

A shameful deed by Heritage.

portlandon on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The whole Heritage “mandate” thing was proposed by one guy, over 20 years back. That person left Heritage a while ago.

While it was a bad move by that person at Heritage at the time, it’s not as bad as the Left makes it out to be.

Since then, Heritage has argued for real, market-based reform, long before ObamaCare came along. But that’s ignored.

visions on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@SarahPalinUSA: A great choice! RT @PeterHambyCNN DeMint has made it known in Columbia that he wants Tim Scott to be appointed to his seat, sources tell CNN

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

God Bless you, Jim DeMint.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Strike Twice on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

when bho does his sotu address?

letget on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Honestly, letget, I read that to say stfu address. :-)

coldwarrior on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Honestly, letget, I read that to say stfu address. :-)

coldwarrior on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

not far off the mark.

sesquipedalian on December 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’m right there with you.

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I bet it’s David Wilkins. Although I hear Jake Knotts isn’t busy. What’s Andre doing these days?

Hat Trick on December 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This was a bad move–DeMint seems to be thinking more about himself than his state or his country. While he might be able to make more money as head of the Heritage Foundation, he could get more DONE as Senator for the next four years. Even as part of a 45-seat Senate minority, but a leading conservative voice, he could lead filibusters in the Senate in tandem with the House majority. If he served out his second term (through 2016), he would gain seniority, and might become Ranking Member or Chairman of crucial committees.

Let’s face it–think tanks like the Heritage Foundation don’t really accomplish anything unless they can get like-minded people elected to positions of power. DeMint already is a Senator for 8 years, and could have served another 4 years without even facing the voters. Why give up that influence to “work” for a conservative think tank that doesn’t change anybody’s minds and preaches to the choir?

Steve Z on December 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

cs89 on December 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I think this is a good take. Given his background in advertising, he’s uniquely qualified to help conservatives teach others about conservatism. In the long run, that’s what we need – the GOP doesn’t seem to think that real conservatism can win, even though all of most of their brightest future stars embrace conservatism, even if they might not seasoned enough to apply it in all cases.

If DeMint can help educate people, maybe we can get more good conservatives in primaries.

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Illinidiva on December 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Why, is he next in line?

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I hope Ryan can read the tea leaves better than that. Jeb Bush is next. Even George W. has come out talking about immigration and helping pave the way for Jeb.

Rubio better be on guard also:-)

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Not surprised by DeMint’s decision. Republicans in Congress is not exactly a vehicle for conservatism anymore, to put it mildly. – Norwegian on December 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

So we should relinquish all of Congress, one of the three branches of government, to liberal mania? Now that is smart “real” power. The only current brake on Obama and his policies is the House of Representatives that is held by Republicans.

SC.Charlie on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

TeaParty on December 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The coward is YOU, sitting at your nice keyboard.

How pathetic!

I love that he quit. Heritage can use upgrading, a lot! I love that he leaves the rat-latrines, smiling.

Show all a big finger Sen. DeMint, then try to save the land from self-destructing.

The once free, and now utterly stupid, land doesn’t even deserve you, but you fight on, trying to educate.

First, teach the Rs to think. The leftists never do. The Rs know that God gave them brains, but they hardly ever know to multi-task.

Good luck Sir. You and the stupid land need it.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

visions on December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

But that’s how it works. Notice how the press totally ignores the hypocrisy of what Obama says about any given subject from year to year but if the Right even talks about a big government solution they beat them up with it for a million years. I hope this will give Heritage a new lease on life.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Is tomorrow’s post gonna be about DeMint’s Caribbean 0rgies?

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

they lie on December 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

See above. I’ve followed him for a while and his story is fantastic. His skin colour is not primary, but I would like to see the GOP to be a little more colourful. Not because I am into identity politics or like Benetton ads, but because it would mean that the party’s ideas were catching on with more than just a “bunch of old, white people.”

I like Alan West, but when others were championing him, I was cheerleading Tim Scott. He was my “Most Likely to Succeed” in the House Class of 2010.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I don’t like this. If a person isn’t 100% committed to serving his state in the Senate for six years, he shouldn’t run for the office. I can understand if a person’s family situation changes drastically or his health is an issue, but just up and leaving after only two years is bad form, IMhO. I’m not from SC, but if I were I would have voted for him and would be very disappointed in this move.

jdp629 on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Way to inform yourself. You sound like one of those “low information voters,” begging the question, why are you even at Hotair? I shouldn’t waste my time, but you asked for it, dimwit.

DeMint is the greatest living public servant we have in Washington. It’s a sad day. But I wish him well at Heritage where I know he’ll kick tail all over town. Maybe he’ll even get through to mouth breathers like Slade73.

Western_Civ on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My take on DeMint’s move: A chair has rearranged itself on Titanic deck. Until the Republican Party gets rid of the troglocon baggage represented by Huckabee and Santorum, it will remain the Dinosaur Party for the white professional crowd, some of them may vote for the lesser evil while other will not.

Archivarix on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Me, too.

Have you noticed how our Trolls are attacking? It’s almost as if Jim DeMint is a Conservative…or sumpin’./

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

UltimateBob on December 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Bishop has an interesting thought on the debt ceiling in the headlines last night and I’m crazy enough right now to embrace it. Give Obama a $50 trillion limit.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Western_Civ on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

you mean, Slade doesn’t research every Senator from all 57 States! What a dimwit!

Slade73 on December 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

SC.Charlie on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Heh, they are NOT Republicans, not in the classic sense.

Get rid of Boehner, first. Otherwise the snake will betray you, again. There are no real men in DC, only eunuchs.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Really not possible. DeMint knew he would get “force-fed” a lot of horse crap by the GOP Ayatollahs. What’s coming now is a short era of complete GOP capitulation where Conservatives will be forced to stand in line and eat the dog food. DeMint is NOT a man for that.

If you’re a conservative – you can count on the fact that an advocate for your belief in small government will NOT exist in Congress for the next four years. Don’t worry about it – by the time these fools finish destroying the nation – yours will be the only voices with credibility.

This, of course, will result in the destruction of the GOP – as well it should. The price that the GOP should pay for it’s five decades of lying to it’s base should be it’s own political execution.

Something MUCH better will come along. A new Revolut1ion is coming – and it won’t be started in Washington, DC. It will come from outside the beltway and DeMint KNOWS this. He’s an enlightened man.

HondaV65 on December 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Trolls are boring, I can hear the same thing on television 24/7 by better paid mouthpieces.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

SC.Charlie on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

You’d have better luck teeing off with a putter on a Par 5 hole.

HondaV65 on December 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

@JedediahBila: RT @ByronYork: Word from SC is that DeMint personally asked Gov. Haley to appoint Tim Scott to replace him. Doesn’t mean she’ll do it…

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

True…and they are usually more articulate in communicating their propaganda.

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM