Breaking: DeMint retiring from Senate

posted at 10:46 am on December 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC), who has led conservatives in the upper chamber for years, will resign his office next month, according to a statement from his office earlier this morning.  DeMint will move across town to the Heritage Foundation and will become its new president:

Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) announced that he will leave the Senate at the beginning of January to become the next president of The Heritage Foundation, the largest and most respected conservative think tank in America.

“It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina in United States Senate for the past eight years, but now it’s time for me to pass the torch to someone else and take on a new role in the fight for America’s future.

“I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight. I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas. No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come.

“I’m humbled to follow in the footsteps of Ed Feulner, who built the most important conservative institution in the nation. He has been a friend and mentor for years and I am honored to carry on his legacy of fighting for freedom.

“My constituents know that being a Senator was never going to be my career. I came to Congress as a citizen legislator and I’ve always been determined to leave it as citizen legislator. South Carolina has a deep bench of conservative leaders and I know Governor Haley will select a great replacement.

“One of the most rewarding things I’ve done in the Senate is work with the grassroots to help elect a new generation of leaders who have the courage to fight for the principles of freedom that make this country so great. I’m confident these senators will continue the legacy of conservative leaders before them.”

Jim DeMint was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1998 after owning a successful advertising and market research company for twenty years. DeMint left the House after limiting himself to three terms and then was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004 and re-elected in 2010.

During his time in office, DeMint has been tireless advocate for Americans taxpayers. His goal has been to support and defend the Constitution, which was written to preserve liberty by restraining the federal government. Toward that end, he authored legislation to balance the budget, ban earmarks, replace the tax code, and reform our entitlement programs. He also led the fight against unconstitutional power grabs like the Wall Street bailout and Obamacare.

The Wall Street Journal breaks down the political situation of DeMint’s departure:

Sen. DeMint’s departure means that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, a Republican, will name a successor, who will have to run in a special election in 2014. In that year, both Mr. DeMint’s replacement and Sen. Lindsey Graham will be running for reelection in South Carolina.

Mr. DeMint was reelected to a second term in 2010. The 61-year-old senator had announced earlier that he would not seek a third term.

Frankly, I’m disappointed by the move, although this gives Heritage a big boost.  I had hoped to see DeMint act as a conservative leader in the Senate for the next four years, especially with Democrats taking a bigger majority after this past election.  Haley will make a wise appointment, I’m sure, and other Republicans in the chamber will get an opportunity to fill his shoes. However, considering the fights ahead of us, it would have been much better to have DeMint as a stalwart on the inside rather than an activist on the outside.

Regardless, I wish Senator DeMint the best, and thank him for his invaluable service to the conservative cause over the last several years.  I’m glad we’ll see him at Heritage, and look forward to the great work he will do there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Paul was speaking about protecting all whistleblowers, and he used the plural; he was also speaking hypothetically in illustrating the need for us to support rather than condemn whistleblowers.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I agree that whistleblowers need protection, but Bradley Manning is in a different class. Under the UCMJ, the rules are different and members of the military know this. For example, no one would imagine that a judge in a civil court (as in civilian, not tort/contracts) could order the defendant to be forcibly shaven, especially if his beard has a religious connotation to it. As we have seen in the Major Nidal Hassan case, such can happen in a military proceeding.

One more thing about “whistleblowers.” Not everyone is a whistleblower nor can everyone cloak himself in the glory of whistleblowerdom. As the saying goes about freedom fighters, so too about whistleblowers. A German-American, who was sympathetic to Nazi Germany, could not provide classified information regarding D-Day to Hitler or the New York Times and call himself a whistleblower just because he opposed the planned operation knowing that many, many, many thousands of people would die on both sides. It was NOT his decision to make.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

That judge was just replaced, unfortunately.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

As Palin would say, “they want us to sit down and shut up”.
Amjean on December 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Ironically, when you quit public office, you oblige them

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM
LOL, being out of office hasn’t stopped Sarah or haven’t you noticed?

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

stopped from doing what? being on reality tv and writing “fitness books”?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Sorry, RWM, forgot the link.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Someone is going to be mighty surprised next election when their lack of respect for others is taken out on their preferred candidate. Fool me once shame on men……I think we know the rest.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I think so too. Wonder if Jeb Bush will get the love Romney got? LOL

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hasan has previously indicated he would like to plead guilty, but he can’t because the charges he faces carry a possible death sentence. A guilty plea to lesser charges that don’t carry a possible death sentence would be permissible, but prosecutors would have to accept such an arrangement.

The swine, with profuse apologies to the clean pigs, had no problem killing so many, but fears the death penalty. May he meet his virgins, soon. May the ants begin to eat him alive.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

May they eat Obama too, for allowing this pig to go on for so long, or to have been there in the first place.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

This?

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Nice town Millville, used to do a little fishing South of there a wee bit.

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Why DeMint really wanted to leave is not clear. The Boehner McConnell crowd have accelerated their effort to crowd out the Tea Party so they can pretend there is consensus for their next step.

DeMint probably got the back alley hand signal that the big Bazoo was going to take him down if he didn’t shut up. It is lonely in the Senate if Big Bazoo doesn’t like you. They’ve been dropping press balloons about DeMint being a jerk

Bazoo probably likes Reid better than DeMint. They speak the same language

Haley will appoint a successor who will not be a DeMint. On the other hand, DeMint will get more tv time in his new job, and he won’t take the blame for what is about to happen.

The long shot explanation is a health problem. It is better to drop out early for health, and get an appointed replacement who can prove themselves for the next election. However, even a healthy DeMint has people who would like him to be in the hospital.

I enjoy his discourse. I wish him well

entagor on December 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Perhaps you should read the thread so you would know what the discussion is. You are misunderstanding; I am not complaining about any speech issue here, only correcting a misconception.

Maybe someday you’ll grow up and actually particpate in a discussion.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You call the Rhetorical Games you engage in, a discussion? I do not think that you know what that word means.

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

You know, Sen. DeMint seems a lot more openly hostile to Speaker Boehner, it makes me wonder if there are more folks in the Senate that agree with him than we know? Or is it just a collegial?

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Evening Dire. ; )

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

The Mittscreants are venting their spleen attacking Palin. Several drooled like rabid dogs looking for revenge daring never to gaze upon themselves in a mirror for fear of being confronted with how low they have sunk.

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Whirligigs are way cool.

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

That doesn’t seem like enough money to be her ghost writer. Not that I care one way or another, but I am a better writer than speaker. No one can see me edit or lose my train of thought or struggle with the word I want to use.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I still like Mittwitts better, it doesn’t seem so derogatory. At least they have laid his loss at her door. She didn’t say enough good stuff about him, or she said too much bad stuff about Obama, or she didn’t wear her hair the right way on a show where he was mentioned.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

stopped from doing what? being on reality tv and writing “fitness books”?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Hey little boy…:)

“Politics is down stream of popular culture…”

- Breitbart

idesign on December 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

ROTF. So true. The Mittwitts are very creative with that whole cause and effect thing.

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Happy BDay KJ.

I missed it.

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I apologize for my abruptness with the gilled one. She had finally gotten on my last nerve.

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Your favorite color? Or colors? Patterns, any patterns you like? I fancy you the mathematician. Numbers and such.

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

No apologies. The stench is overwhelming at times.

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Thank you! Our Admin hasn’t taken the banner off my office door, yet. So, you didn’t miss it.:)

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Fractals.

I liked the whirligig that looked like a yellow jacket. Black and yellow. But all of them had great patterns.

When they whirl in the wind I bet they look fun.

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

kingsjester on December 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

No problem. As far as I’m concerned its ok to go nuke on that dysfunctional freak,

SparkPlug on December 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

stopped from doing what? being on reality tv and writing “fitness books”?

Joey24007 on December 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Are you related to bluegill? LOL, just saying…

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Fractals it is then. ; )

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Trey Gowdy for Senate! he is much more of a conservative than the very pro-Boehner Tim Scott,whom will probably be apointed by his RINO buddy, Nikki Haley.

redware on December 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hmmmm…Nikki Haley has a deeeep bench to choose from.

SouthernGent on December 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Can’t blame DeMint… who wants to be in permanent minority status?

Unless you are named “Pelosi”…

Khun Joe on December 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM

That judge was just replaced, unfortunately.

Schadenfreude on December 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I know. My point was that a judge in a civilian court would never get away with that, but the military has rules that infringe upon rights that we take for granted everyday. That’s just the way it is. Adultery is a crime. Facial hair is banned and the number of tattoos can be limited. There’s no such thing as “free speech.” &c. Bradley Manning is in the military and he understood the rules. He also knew that it was a crime to disseminate classified information.

Resist We Much on December 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

An avid Michael Savage listener, here’s his opinion why Jim DeMint left.
The republican party is pushing him out of the Senate & has said they won’t support him any longer.
The GOP doesn’t like true conservatives. Well, I also thought that DeMint wasn’t planning to run again in 2016, but it is an opinion.
Also, why instead of the GOP saying no tax hikes for any income group….instead suggest closing loopholes for the corporations that don’t pay taxes, or pay them at a lower rate. Michael suggests that you won’t hear about that in any serious discussion from either side because both parties benefit from this.

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Oh snap.

labrat on December 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

1. John Roberts stabs us in the back
2. Benghazi
3. Romney looses
4. Loose senate seats
5. An American hero (Petraeus) disgraced and shamed
6. Boehner purges
7. Demint leaves

I’m having a hard time keeping my chin up.

ritewhit on December 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

onlineanalyst on December 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the link!

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Belle on December 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The Republican Establishment in the Senate have never given DeMint support, but I think he made his own decision. I’m satisfied with what he said on Rush’s show today. He was on several Committees and many Sub Committees.

I think the opportunity with Heritage is going to be good for him, the Conservatives and the Country. He’ll be able to do more there, just as Sarah Palin has.

As Savage says on closing loopholes on the Corporations would be a good idea, however this Administration won’t compromise; it’s their way or the highway.

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I’m having a hard time keeping my chin up.

ritewhit on December 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

It can be trying. This is how I keep my chin up:

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

bluefox on December 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

This?

Bmore on December 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

What the heck does that prove? It was written in 2010–Palin’s written scads of FB pages since then, including this garrolous one, written in April 2012: http://www.facebook.com/notes/sarah-palin/dear-america-our-orwellian-president-fails-on-energy/10150685346038435
And I’d hardly call a site like “Palingates”, which has an axe to grind with Palin, a “non-biased” source–more like a raving lunatic site with delusions of grandeur.

Are you trying to say Palin doesn’t write her own material? That’s an old, tired chestnut. I suppose she doesn’t read newspapers, either, or sees Russia from her front porch, or that she doesn’t know Africa is a continent, etc., etc.

theotherone on December 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Wow for hours plus, got to get a smaller net.

Bmore on December 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Haay. The so called wise conservative bloggers of HA.

Idiots!

Sen. DeMint has been quite clear that 2010 was his last term in the Senate and he wasn’t going to seek another one.

Sen. DeMint is against THOSE PEOPLE CLINGING INTO POWER EVEN IN OLD AGE WITHOUT GIVING NEW IDEAS. HE’S SPECIALLY AGAINST THE POLITICAL DYNASTIES, R & D.

Eight Golden Perfect Years in the Senate.

THANK YOU JIM THE DEMINT! THE GREATEST CONSERVATIVE SENATOR OF OUR MODERN TIME.

Senator, it is a perfect timing for you to leave the Senate.

Senator, TScott (also a Palin’s pick), a true Tea Party warrior, is the only perfect match to replace you in the Senate.[It's Haley's decision now.]

Senator, there’s nothing I can say but a pure THANK YOU.

Heritage Foundation has truly become the bastion of Conservative Principles.

DeMint and Heritage, a perfect match.

TheAlamos on December 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Heritage Foundation has truly become the bastion of Conservative Principles.

TheAlamos on December 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM

You mean like their support for Romneycare?

Look, I admire DeMint. But it is definitely news that he is quitting mid-term. He had always said that 2010 would be his last term, and he did put forth a good eight years, but his term was supposed to end in 2016. There must be a reason for this; Jim DeMint believes he can do more good as part of a private think tank than in the bowels of Washington. Think about that, and how far we’ve fallen as a nation.

gryphon202 on December 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Heritage Foundation has truly become the bastion of Conservative Principles.

DeMint and Heritage, a perfect match.

TheAlamos on December 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Oh, I agree; they’re a perfect match.

Dante on December 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Can this be how we get a new party started?

Kissmygrits on December 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Kissmygrits on December 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Could be.

kingsjester on December 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

What I find interesting is that when moderates in a party retire (e.g., Olympia Snowe), it’s because they’re frustrated that everything is so polarized. Now we have a big right winger retiring, and is the answer that he doesn’t feel like he can get anything done because the government is too moderate?

asc85 on December 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You mean like their support for Romneycare?

gryphon202 on December 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Quit repeating stupidity. One dissenting opinion does not reflect upon entire organization.

Shame that no one is paying attention to McConnell these past few days and right on the cusp of DeMint’s leave. All of a sudden McConnell is displaying lots of conservative back bone. Co-incidence? I think not.

Between Bozel and DeMint now it should be clear to old school GOP that the days of them getting easy money for re-elections are pretty much over. Most of that money will now filter through DeMint so his move to Heritage is nothing but a plus for all of us. The likes of Adelson, Koch brothers and others will have someone they trust handle elections support.

McConnell at least seems like he is smarter than Boehner. Let’s hope it continues.

riddick on December 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

riddick on December 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I agree. Jim DeMint made the right move and Heritage will be more Conservative than before and increase their membership base as well.

When this opportunity presented itself and DeMint can do what he couldn’t accomplish in the Senate due to the Leadership, then why not make this advancement?

I bet the Establish Republicans, the Dems & the Left along with the MSM wish now they had left Palin alone and not driven her from the Governorship of Alaska, ROFL

Go Sarah, Go DeMint!!

bluefox on December 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

kingsjester on December 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Read your articles. The NYT and others haven’t learned the lesson of Palin:-) Leave sleeping dogs lie, LOL They bite!!! Palin is stronger and more influential today than in Alaska.

Jim DeMint will have the same effect.

On the Pledge thing you posted on your site, I don’t understand why the Superintendent made that change. I thot choice was what it’s all about? Guess not.

The students that want to say the Pledge can all gather before school on the public sidewalk and say it and carry their own Flag!!

bluefox on December 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

bluefox on December 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I hope that happens. That would be great.

Thanks for reading!

kingsjester on December 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM

kingsjester on December 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM

YW, always enjoy your comments there. Was going to sign up on your site, but there was some issue. Can’t remember at the moment, but will try to check again.

bluefox on December 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Second look at Alvin Greene?

Arnold Yabenson on December 8, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Although I wish him the best in his career move, I am disappointed for a couple of reasons: 1) good senator but 2) I wish he would have finished his term. Doesn’t anyone believe in commotment, even when it isn’t covenient? Must just be my generation that was taught that.

tammyloc on December 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM