Conservative purge in the House Republican caucus?

posted at 9:41 am on December 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Has John Boehner decided to crack down on dissent within the House caucus?  Roll Call’s Jonathan Strong reports on a reshuffle of the committee-assignment deck that leaves a few conservatives without a hand in the coming fiscal-cliff fight:

Speaker John A. Boehner initiated today a small purge of rebellious Republicans — mostly conservatives — from prominent committees; it’s the latest instance of the Ohio Republican’s clamping down on his fractious conference.

The decisions were made by the GOP Steering Committee at a Monday meeting, which reviewed a spreadsheet listing each GOP lawmaker and how often he or she had voted with leadership, three sources said.

Reps. David Schweikert of Arizona and Walter Jones of North Carolina were booted from the Financial Services Committee. Reps. Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas were removed from the Budget Committee.

According to a source, Schweikert was told that he was ousted in part because his “votes were not in lockstep with leadership.”

The correlation to dissent may not cover the reshuffle entire, Strong reports.  For instance, Schweikart’s problem might be less his votes and more in the way he campaigned against Ben Quayle:

Schweikert defeated Rep. Ben Quayle in a contentious GOP primary and was not regarded as leadership’s first choice in that race. Schweikert’s tactics in the rough-and-tumble primary, according to several sources, rubbed leaders the wrong way.

A GOP lobbyist emailed about the Schweikert situation, “Wow. Don’t F w Jeb.” The reference was apparently to incoming Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling of Texas, the departing GOP Conference chairman.

When analyzing assignment changes, don’t entirely discount the personal over the political.  The fiscal cliff could be coincidental to this, as this is the normal time for reassessing committee assignments for the upcoming session of Congress.  These committee spots are given out for many reasons, and policy fealty is only one of them.  Anyone who has seen politics up close at any level learns quickly that the systems are set up to reward and punish based on the whims of those elected to leadership.

That’s why Nancy Pelosi was so eager to retain her leadership of the House Democratic Caucus.  It’s also why her decision prompted no rebellion among those whom she had either appointed or protected to get into leadership along with her.

However, the changes certainly appear to prepare Boehner to deliver on any agreement he makes with Harry Reid and Barack Obama.  That came up as an issue in the summer of 2011, when a back-bench revolt began to look likely as details of the “grand bargain” got leaked during the final days of the debt-limit crisis.  It signals that Boehner wants to have a carte blanche on negotiations this time around, and that his leadership appears ready to give it to him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

In this day and age I don’t think that capitalists can afford to split their vote anymore. I think we need a new party that represents 50% +1 or more of the people who desire freedom and liberty over tyranny, and have the minority party for those who desire more statist corruption and tyranny. That means conservatives are going to need to forge new alliances and compromise with people who are on the freedom and liberty side of the equation but not traditional conservatives.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM

There is no majority for which you speak. The non traditional “liberty” people are degenerates who will always vote against your fiscal desires. They do not have a moral compass to do otherwise.

astonerii on December 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Strength and Honor my friend, sleep well soon, and know that I am somewhere on the outer reaches of the Republic in a vain effort to ensure you sleep peaceably.

MarshFox on December 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t. And I hate the “/”.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Sorry, no idea how I lost the “Un” :(

Agree, on both

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

MarshFox on December 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

For ALL who don’t know!!!

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Just like the 70 Conservatives that sent a letter to every member of the GOP and a separate letter sent by Brent Bozell to the RNC Chair. Putting them on notice.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

And just how did that play out in the end? Did GOP and Boehner paid any attention to it?

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

besser tot als rot, been meaning to tell you for a long time what a great nom you have. If I ever did say it, I forgot.

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Yeah, no thanks. Ron Paul is a seriously deranged person. Anyone who thinks America can stand alone in the world while all the other large nations empire the rest of the world and prevent us from accessing resources from the rest of world is not a patriot.

astonerii on December 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

If conservatives can’t make peace with Ron Paul supporters then you might as well bend over and pull down your pants for Boehner because you don’t have the votes to go it alone without them. They were an integral part of the tea parties success in ’10, and betraying them in ’12 cost Republicans the election.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Last time I looked, Palin lost an election, quit her governorship, and went Hollywood.

Meanwhile, I guess she is aware despite all her “nunchucking” that it did not one little thing to change the results of the election:

“Vultures, vultures everywhere!”

Sherman1864 on December 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Palin lost an election?

News to me…LOL

And far as resigning as Governor, don’t let the facts get in the way of your childish rant.

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This is what cost all the election. The rest are delusions.

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

To paraphrase one Ronald Reagan–”My party left me!”
Enough with all of Washington-a pox on their house (and Senate, and White house, and Supremly arrogant Court) Then there’s that lobbying crowd and mediaa from Hades.

Don L on December 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

If that is true (can be prooven) then I want nothing to do with the Ron Paul supporters.

Vince on December 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Looks like you

do not live in NV nor know what transpired here. Communist lite, aka “libertarians”, gleefully proclaimed they were voting for Obama. And did so. I am sure same happened in other states.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I would say John lost.

This thread is partial proof of that.

But if these 70 stay strong he will not be much of a leader any more getting only some of the GOP to vote for him and fewer when he really needs the votes.

Time will tell but so far John is looking very bad.

Steveangell on December 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Not at all. What cost us the 2012 election was Romney who was a progressive who would have fit better running as Democrat.

No, they were not an integral part of the Tea party Success in 2010. They rode the Tea Party coattails, not the other way around.

That is why I stopped supporting the Tea Party. Too many morons in it that think that you can arrive at fiscal conservative with an immoral population.

Fiscal conservative is a moral value. People who are immoral in one aspect are almost always immoral in MANY aspects.

astonerii on December 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I would say John lost.

This thread is partial proof of that.

Time will tell but so far John is looking very bad.

Steveangell on December 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Not sure I understood your reply.

Just how did Boehner “loose” if he ignored the letter and Bozels’s threat to steer funding away from GOP if they cave.

This was nothing but a “F_ck You!” from GOP to conservatives.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Vince on December 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

What, you expected the people you stabbed in the back would vote for your lying, cheating candidate anyway? And if they don’t, then you don’t want anything to do with them? I’m a lot different than you, I don’t want anything to do with anybody who would roll over and kiss the ring of people who robbed and cheated

At any rate, I don’t expect to persuade statists like yourself, Vince, people like you are part of the problem with the GOP, I’m trying to persuade small government conservatives who’ve been betrayed by the GOP that we need to rebuild the tea party alliance in order to save freedom and liberty, which necessarily will include Ron Paul supporters. That’s how we won in ’10 and can do so again, but not with statists like you, Vince.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thx. We’re getting too close to rot for my taste.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

astonerii on December 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I’m no Ron Paul supporter, but I agree with him on more things than I agree with Romney on. But I was expected to choke down my qualms and vote for Romney anyway (which I did). If we have to find common ground with Romney and his supporters, seems like it should be easier to do with Ron Paul and his supporters.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Ron Paul supporters.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

You mean, the supporters who couldn’t get him over 12% in his own home state? The supporters who let him lost 3-1 to Romney – in his own home district?

Those guys?

Rebar on December 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I think Boehner needs to be reminded he needs the conservative vote to keep his position. Conservatives may not get the absolute power in the party but they are a significant part of the party and therefore need to have a say and not be shuffled into the corner until they’re needed for the next election cycle.

I am reminded of the line from Dune
“He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing.” Without the conservative vote the Republican party becomes the minority. Will it take losing the House to bring these clowns to their senses?

Bottom line. What is the point to voting these clowns in if they’re just going to kick dirt in my face as thanks? If they want to be Rat lite they can do it as the minority party without my vote. Time for MAD. I may lose but I can keep you from winning.

Until then….L.I.B.

VikingGoneWild on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Let me know when the Boehners, McCain’s and Graham’s are gone.

We should have a new party and call it the “moderate” party.

They can go and pound their chest in their standing for nothing.

fatlibertarianinokc on December 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Romney was crazy not to reach out to Palin and Paul and bring their supporters into the fold. More like the work of the petty, corporate, anal, RINO loser as*holes who ran his campaign.

rrpjr on December 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

astonerii on December 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Meh. I think that’s an over generalization. What should the state’s role be in the promotion of morality? I’d like to start at zero and only promote those things that are critical to a well functioning society. For example, promoting traditional marriage for raising well adjusted children is something worth considering. And I think that this being “moral” is almost beside the point; more important is that it works. Once it’s been decided what to promote, we also need to consider how to promote it – preferably with the least interference possible (is that tax breaks? I don’t know). Everything else should be left to private institutions.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

So now it’s about supporting Ron Paul supporters? Yep no wonder the GOP lost but you guys sure showed us or something.
Must be you RP supporters won’t be affected by this Tyrants policies. Neato! Pass the spliffy on the left-hand side Garth.

Support for the Tea Party and support for Ron Paul or are not one and the same. If you want to give RP all the credit for the 2010 TP successes than he and his supporters can take the blame for the 2012 losses.

Buttercup on December 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Palin lost an election?

News to me…LOL

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

State the facts all you want, all you’re gonna hear from the Democrat electioneers and the MSM is “Palin’s a quitter”.

Better for her to seek a new lower office (like maybe Senator) before setting her sights on the White House.

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Regarding money going back to his district, that is one of the roles of Congress. The government seizes our money. Should money not be returned to a district?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

There in lies the rub, the money should not in fact go back to the district, it should not be taken at gun point either, which it is , even at this very moment. I understand the point that you make, but unfortunately that is a self licking ice cream cone. I have no use for that! One man can make a difference, though I am sure that the history of the 40 years in the wilderness will come up, which Mr. Paul obviously had to suffer through as he has been there that long. That said, his seniority to my knowledge has never been exercised to benefit the Republic. Yes I am aware of the broken time, but by seniority I mean knowing the ins and outs. I was raised on guerrilla warfare, the type that has been fought since the Revolution, one of my grandfather’s favorites was Francis Marion, hence my moniker, and my reason for bringing that up? Simple, knowing the ins and outs gives you the edge and if you fight that way, using that edge you will win. He has not. War is an ugly thing, trust me I know first hand, men who fight them, and I mean to win, are truly never seen the same way again by either the people they fight against or the ones they fight for. However I will gladly bear that burden, knowing full well the disdain it would bring from even those here, if it were but to save the Republic! Again he has not! We are lead by lambs, on either side, for when the true fight comes as it shall, even those who are accredited as wolves will run like lambs! I apologize Dante, as this has gone long and I have rambled far to much, and unfortunately duty calls(literally). I will say this, were a man of(or a woman) Mr. Paul’s rhetoric to emerge and yet truly espouse those virtues, I would indeed support them. Until then I will first and foremost protect my part of the Republic(my wife) and continue to stand ready to do violence on the rests behalf.

MarshFox on December 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The US is in the death grip of a Democratic Oligarchy reaching the limits of its grasp on political power. American Patriots need to be prepared to rise-up, and catch the nation when its government falls.

Tripwhipper on December 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Boehner needs to go. It’s his duty to call the President out on any constitutional transgressions he makes. He should’ve stood firm on the debt ceiling and excess spending… instead all we heard is “ZOMG!!! We can’t shut down! We can’t default! I want some highway money!!!” He’s gonna sell us out on the fiscal cliff, just you watch.

Time to kick him out of the speaker’s chair. Draft Ryan or Bachmann for the job.

And I hope the bond rating companies keep downgrading the Treasury’s credit rating if Congress abolishes the debt ceiling rule. It’s tough love time. (Also gold-buying time.)

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Same Ryan who signed off on Biehner’s “counter offer” to Azzhole yesterday?

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM

VikingGoneWild on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The tea party defeated the GOP establishment, (sort of), in ’10 by allying with Ron Paul supporters and other liberty oriented capitalists. We already had a winning strategy, so why employ a losing strategy like MAD? Sure, conservatives can destroy themselves and the GOP and both go down with the ship, but why commit political suicide when it may be possible to win instead?

The problem is that the libertarian types like myself were betrayed during the election and the tea party can’t simply be restarted like a car, it has to be fixed first. I’m not sure if it’s possible at all, it certainly won’t happen without effort, but it’s an effort that needs to be undertaken in order to stop the destructive path America is on.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Guys… I wouldn’t put this all on Boehner. The Budget Committee ones benefit someone else as well.. Just saying. And I guess that this was part of what he got for signing Boehner’s letter. Plus, Boehner takes the blame for him.

As for the Congressmen in question, don’t vote against the pet legislation of a powerful Chairman who plans to use said legislation to further his political career.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I am absolutely sure that Bohner had absolutely nothing to do with conservatives’ removals from key committee assignments. Absolutely nothing…

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Yes. He did. But the Budget Committee ones totally benefit a former VP nominee as well.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

And now Henrietta Reid “sympathizes” with Boehner…

Getting better and better by the hour. Ryan, who signed off on the higher taxes offer to Azzhole yesterday is somehow seen by RINOs here on HA as our “way out”. Bachmann, who usurped TEA Party and was kissing Romney’s azz during debates all she could is seen as another “savior”. Can someone remind me of what she actually achieved in Congress? At least Ryan came up with a brilliant plan to only have $1 TRILLION deficits going forward.

Wow… Talk about delusions…

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Okay, howzabout Justin Amash…

(Sheesh. Our tea party approved congressmen better not fall asleep next to those Washington pods.)

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I love Ryan and look on the whole situation with utter amusement. Smooth political operator.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Any one of those just removed will do just fine as Speaker, IMO.

I’d settle for Allen West, Palin or Newt, but I am sure its an even taller order than above.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yep, a brilliant math guy 2 batteries short of calculator.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Guys… I wouldn’t put this all on Boehner.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

You’d be wrong, then. Well, you’re right in that he is representing the corrupt GOP establishment, not merely himself, but it was Boehner who walked into this trap back in ’11 even though some of us, including myself, were screaming for him not to. He walked into the trap knowing it was a trap, and I think the obvious reason why is because it gives him political cover to raise taxes.

Boehner knowingly, and unnecessarily, walked into the trap which provided the Democrats with all the ammo they needed to force him to raise taxes. I believe that’s why he walked into the trap even though we marked it for him. Occam’s razor.

Here’s the test: If Boehner walked into the trap intentionally then that means that his plan is successful and he will retain his lordship because he successfully hoodwinked Republicans into thinking he had no choice but to raise taxes, his ploy worked. The alternative is that Boehner is an incompetent fool who walked into the trap because he’s not too bright, in which case Boehner will lose his lordship and hopefully his reelection bid.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Steveangell on December 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for clarifying a little more. I thot maybe you thot Levin was only a radio host:-) I agree with most of your comments.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I don’t know yet since I haven’t seen any response from them. It was just sent this past Friday.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is what cost all the election. The rest are delusions.

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Love it!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I guess that / should have been included?

GOP received the letters LAST WEEK.

YESTERDAY Boehner and GOP proposed new taxes.

Let me know how GOP reacted to the letters.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Same old same old……..every “crisis” in DC winds up with the GREEDY politicians acquiring MORE POWER and MORE MONEY for the to SPEND!

No wonder people tune out the liars that lead us.

PappyD61 on December 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Time will tell but so far John is looking very bad.

Steveangell on December 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Well, seems like Boehner is getting more heat.
Boehner tax increase sparks conservative backlash 12/4/12

Sen. Jim DeMint, a tea party favorite, ripped House Republican leaders; “Conservatives are looking for a leader to fight against tax increases, to push back against wasteful government spending said Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Prosperity;
The conservative Heritage Foundation also dismissed the GOP’s plan…”When President Obama put forth his first offer on the fiscal cliff, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said, ‘You can’t be serious.’ We could say the same thing to the speaker after his counteroffer yesterday,” Heritage said in an email to supporters.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

IMPEACH Boehner. He is able to flex his “might” in keeping control of his “status” in the House, why is he not able to hold the line for the country? Answer: Because he does not want to!

AnnaS on December 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

VikingGoneWild on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I read somewhere that of all of the Tea Party Conservative Freshman of 2010 all were re-elected but 11 in 2012. Haven’t had time to check any stats. I think there are about 84 + or – now.

Boehner’s love of power is going to be his demise. Hope he takes Cantor with him.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

FloatingRock. I just pointed out who benefits from it politically. So don’t think this is all Boehner.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

rrpjr on December 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

It appears some of McCain’s campaign workers were advising Romney.
I think Romney was betrayed behind the scenes by the Republican Establishment/RNC/Rove and others.

I agree, dissing Sarah Palin, the Tea Party members and the Ron Paul supporters was ignorant, but I think it was done on purpose. Not by Romney per se, but via others.

Romney was a placeholder, in order to make way for Jeb Bush in 2016.

This is my opinion.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yep. Same people who betrayed him during his progressive liberal reign in MA.

(Should I include the / tag?)

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

TMOverbeck on December 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

A Senator? That would be a demotion with the experience and smarts that Sarah has. Evidently you haven’t watched The Undefeated or read about her record. By your criteria, Romney should have run for a Senate position too.

By the way, I don’t think Sarah set her sights on the White House.
Her millions of supporters were begging her to run. A lot different from any support McCain/Romney or any other person has received.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It’s not all Boehner, it’s the entire corrupt GOP machine.

FloatingRock on December 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Buttercup on December 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I agree. It was the Tea Party and Sarah Palin. She was out campaigning for House & Senate Candidates, fundraising and endorsing them. I don’t recall Ron Paul doing anything that Sarah did and continues to do. Ron Paul was for Ron Paul.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

MarshFox on December 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

May the Lord protect you and yours in your service.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It is time, immediately, for a new Conservative party to form and to separate itself from the rotting carcass of the GOP. Its 150yr run has gone on long enough.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Wow… Talk about delusions…

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Delusional is right. Good grief. I hear there is a Criteria list that’s being kept hidden which was used to determine which Conservatives were to be removed from their Committee assignments.
Also who put it together is not being revealed. It will be, secrets are hard to keep:-)

Seems some weren’t even told they had been removed by the anyone in Leadership in the House, but learned it in the news!!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Last week was Friday, November 30th. This is Tuesday the 2nd work day since Friday. Boehner is too busy negotiating(caving) with Obama, probably hasn’t had time to read the letters:-)

Even Amazon doesn’t move that fast, LOL Boehner is a slow learner, remember?

We’ll see how this turns out.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The whole sordid mess is up at Breitbart.

HOUSE GOP LEADERS PURGED CONSERVATIVES USING SECRET CRITERIA LIST

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I wouldn’t say that it was a diabolical plot. It was political stupidity on the part of the Congressmen. They nearly tanked the key piece of legislation championed by a powerful Chairman who was lobbying for the VP nomination at the time.

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yep. Same people who betrayed him during his progressive liberal reign in MA.

(Should I include the / tag?)

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I wasn’t speaking of his MA term and I’m aware of his record there:-) I was against Romney all during the debates & Primary up until he received the Nomination, so no you didn’t need the /tag:-)

He was not my Primary pick. I was Palin/Perry/Newt.
Just stating my opinion and why on the 2012 election cycle.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh? Thanks, going there next. I hope Boehner regrets his power grab. I bet Eric Cantor had something to do with it. He’s a Speaker wannabe. He betrayed his House position spending funds to promote Lugar, a Senator!!!! Against the Conservative Candidate.

I also heard there was a change in the Leadership position of the Republican Study Committee. Last I heard Jim Jordan of Ohio was, or do I have the assignments mixed up? Hard to keep up. Just know that last year, Jordan butted heads with Boehner over the CCB issue.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Speaking of weak ones, my inability to read half of Ed’s first paragraph on an IPad tells me his employer cares more about ads, than content. No wonder postings are down and I assume readership. Looks like Salem has gone over their own fiscal cliff and these are the repercussions.

Henry Weinhards anyone?

CTSherman on December 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I just received an email from Jim DeMint’s Senate Conservative Fund. They are suggesting for everyone to contact their Senators
The Senate will have to vote on whatever bill Boehner passes(hope he doesn’t) but that’s probably why he removed Committee Conservatives)

Here is the Senate List.

Right now, only Rand Paul, James Imhofe, Jim DeMint and Ron Johnson are on record opposing Boehner. We’ve got work to do!!

Let me know if you have any other ideas!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Paul agrees with you, as do I. Unfortunately, this is the government a group of people created 230 years ago. I am simply explaining one of the Constitutional roles of Congress.

MarshFox on December 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I would like to believe you. I really would. But you didn’t.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Illinidiva on December 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM

No kidding. His vote for TARP, his vote to raise the debt ceiling, his vote for Medicare Part D ( the largest entitlement expansion ever), his vote to bail out the auto unions, his vote to confiscate CEO bonuses, and his vote to allow presidential appts without Senate approval, among others, and his “budget plan” that didn’t do anything and was in no way serious at all, are all sooooo dreamy.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

“However, the changes certainly appear to prepare Boehner to deliver on any agreement he makes with Harry Reid and Barack Obama.”

Does anyone know who is actually working with Boehner on this and whether he is consulting with Senate Republicans?

Nomas on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Let me know if you have any other ideas!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I do. Stop voting for Republicans.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

As a former Republican(I just recently joined the other 8 million white people who didn’t show up with me to vote for Romney) I think it’s time to put the GOP on a “death watch”,for it has truly become suicidal.Just about every action the GOP leadership,and many so-called conservative leaders and their allies in the elitist punditocracy have done since Romney’s ignominious defeat has been calculated to alienate its conservative base.Well y’all better kiss a lot of pro-amnesty Latino butt to replace all of us who are jumping this sinking ship.Here’s to all you RINOS-the GOP is yours-have fun watching it die!

redware on December 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Let me know if you have any other ideas!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Thanks for the Senate list.

Will try to email Cruz, Fisher and Flake.

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I do. Stop voting for Republicans.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This government/Country has fallen so far that it’s a toss up at times. I think it’s been the lesser of the two evils for a long time.

We’ve just seen what Boehner is doing by removing those House members that have stood up for what is right in order for him to do what’s in his best interest. Hard to fight that, but fight it we must. Via emails/faxes/phone calls to those that have stood and encourage them to continue to do so. Not to Boehner, the lesson he has to learn won’t come from me or anyone else, but learn it he will.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Nomas on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

The third Musketeer in the Senate is McConnell. Please contact Senate Republicans today and urge them to oppose the Boehner Tax Hike.
The list I provided above. Thanks!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Thanks for the Senate list.

Will try to email Cruz, Fisher and Flake.

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

You’re welcome, thanks for the help. I plan on emailing all that will accept emails from other than their own State. I ran into that during 2009 against Obamacare. But I faxed them all, in every State and multiple times, LOL When they shut their phones down in the D.C. office, I used their District offices:-)

So glad Cruz/Fisher/Flake got in!!! Portman & Brown are my Senators.

If you need any phone #’s, let me know. I have them all in every State:-)

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Hey Dante, you calling those Senators?

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Looks as if Fox is doing some purging of their own…

d1carter on December 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I am so glad to hear that!! No matter what Roger’s motive is either. Never cared for Rove. Morris I can take. Rove is just a Bush guy and all we’d hear from him now is how great Jeb is and how bad Palin is.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

So glad Cruz/Fisher/Flake got in!!! Portman & Brown are my Senators.

If you need any phone #’s, let me know. I have them all in every State:-)

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I’m not sure they’re in, that’s why I’m emailing them.

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Hey Dante, you calling those Senators?

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

No. Why would I?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Speaker John A. Boehner initiated today a small purge of rebellious Republicans — mostly conservatives — from prominent committees

Dhimmi for the DNC.

Feedie on December 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
No. Why would I?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Because you don’t like additional taxes above and beyond what Obama has in the pipeline? You would rather keep your money? Because Boehner is trying to help himself by helping Obama to tax us more?

Why wouldn’t you? Isn’t prevention worth a pound of cure?

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Why wouldn’t you? Isn’t prevention worth a pound of cure?

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I don’t like any taxes. Hell, I don’t like government. Calling my statist Senators and Representative isn’t going to change anything.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m not sure they’re in, that’s why I’m emailing them.

idesign on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I should have said won their elections!

Those Senators that won’t accept my email, I’ll call tomorrow.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Oh, come on Dante. Join the fight. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I spent several months fighting the Obamacare bill. I know, they passed it anyway. But I don’t regret the time and money I spent.

Well, I’m going to let them know that there are regular people out here that have an opinion. I’d rather call those House Conservatives that had their Committee assignments taken and I probably will. Good thing I’m almost done with my Christmas shopping!!

Cheers!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Just popped in to get my dose of Cloward Piven in real time.
Despicable. All of it.
LIB. It will get rebuilt one way or the other.
At least we won’t have another 4 years of wondering.
The true detriment of our Economy.

seesalrun2 on December 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Reps. David Schweikert of Arizona

I’m not in his district, but I live close enough that this makes me angry. So I wrote to Boehner’s Facebook page:

I’m sure he’d love to hear from y’all, too.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I see no evidence of it. ?

kg598301 on December 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Oh, come on Dante. Join the fight. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You and I are not in the same fight; you do not realize that the Republican and Democrats are the exact same, with only inches separating them on some policies. Here’s a perfect example: You say you are going to call the House conservatives, when there is no such thing.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I plan on emailing all that will accept emails from other than their own State…I used their District offices:-)

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

For those in Congress that only accept emails from their “district”, use their distict office location(s) as your address and phone number. Works for me…

Gohawgs on December 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

He was not my Primary pick. I was Palin/Perry/Newt.
Just stating my opinion and why on the 2012 election cycle.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

We’re on the same page. Now add Cruz to it. And Allen West.

Mix and match for 2016.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Here is another issue that needs attention:

Both Sens. Durbin and Enzi have offered the bill as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act.

Too many issues/bills to keep up with. We need our own Committee members to monitor these sneaky tactics in every State and major cities. Then a website we can monitor!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

C’mon Now, GOP, Don’t Go Wobbly on Us

Please read and pass along this article. We send good conservatives to D.C. to fulfill the promises they made to the electorate, and yet when they stay true to their word the permanent political class in their own party punishes them. This won’t be forgotten come 2014. Right now the GOP establishment is more concerned about the opinion of the media and the Georgetown cocktail circuit than they are “we the people” who hired them. For all this new talk of how the GOP needs a “populist movement,” it would do them good to remember they already have one; it’s called the Tea Party movement, and it won for them the majority they now enjoy in the House.

- Sarah Palin

The House Republican leadership may not care in their desire to appease the media and the Georgetown cocktail circuit, but Speaker Boehner and his cohorts have crossed the line.

This won’t be forgotten come 2014.

john.frank on December 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I have seen that there is not much difference. Recall Perot saying there wasn’t a dimes’ worth of difference between the two. I’ve seen it, but we have a responsibility it seems to do what we can to at least speak up when we see wrong.

Yes there are Conservatives in the House. Why do you think several of them have been removed from their Committee Assignments? It certainly wasn’t because they voted for Boehner in lockstep!! It was because they stood for what was right and they took the tax pledge. One was removed from two Committee assignments. Why do you think the Criteria List is secret and the person that drew it up won’t reveal it? They are not the Conservatives.

Oh, just an aside. Neither the RNSC or the RNC gave one penny to Bachmann in her last race. I know they pulled funding from Akin in MO.
Why? Because they are Dem lite? NO, because these Republican Establishement hate Conservatives and Tea Party members.

Another thing, why do you think Eric Cantor in the House took Republican Funds to support Lugar in the Senate race in Indiana and opposed Mourdock(sp?) the Conservative? Too bad the voters in VA don’t keep track of their own House member!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM
We’re on the same page. Now add Cruz to it. And Allen West.

Mix and match for 2016.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Cruz & West are my favorite behind Palin!!! Cruz is U.S. Supreme Court material, mark my word. I researched him when he was running against Dewhurst. Awesome record!! West is like Palin, taking it to the enemies, LOL

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Good comment. GOP: RIP Time to move on. It is sad to watch good Americans invest their time into this worn out carcass of a party, or into the GOP/Democrat Duopoly. Abandon the GOP, and move on. A party of American Patriots is needed.

Tripwhipper on December 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Gohawgs on December 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Good idea. I still think all U.S. House/Senate members should take any email from any American Citizen. Like I tell them when I call their D.C. office, their decisions affect me, not only their constituents. So I have a right to express my opinion to them. If their Staff person hangs up on me, I just send them a fax.

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

- Sarah Palin

This won’t be forgotten come 2014.
john.frank on December 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yes they have crossed the line. Boehner is closer to Obama than Biden is. Good for Sarah!! She’s right that this won’t be forgotten come 2014. Many won’t forget it from now until then either.

I hope there will be a fight in the House and Boehner loses!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I hope there will be a fight in the House and Boehner loses!!

bluefox on December 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM

They spend 1 hour each morning explaining to Biden who he is, including what day it is, his name, his address, etc.

Not that I disagree with you on Boehner, I am sure they share suntan/nail salons tips. All between girls, I am sure…

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Abandon the GOP, and move on. A party of American Patriots is needed.

Tripwhipper on December 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

First thing that must happen is cut off all funds to GOP.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

First thing that must happen is cut off all funds to GOP.

riddick on December 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I didn’t give any money in 2012. I showed up to vote, but I couldn’t choke down the crap that the GOP was selling long enough to donate anything. Almost did a couple of times, but didn’t do it. In retrospect, I’m glad that I didn’t with how I see the great manager Mitt Romney mismanaged his funds.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

From Justin Amash’s Facebook:

Rumor has it that I’ve been removed from the House Committee on the Budget. Remarkably, I still have not received a single call, e-mail, or text from Republican leadership confirming this story. In fact, I wouldn’t even have learned about it if not for the news reports. I look forward to hearing from my party’s leadership about why my principled, conservative voting record offends them. That’s sure to be a lively and entertaining conversation.

In the meantime, I can only speculate as to what specifically would make Republican leadership punish several of its party’s most principled members. Rep. Tim Huelskamp, who was kicked off of both Budget and the Committee on Agriculture, voted with me against the 2013 House budget resolution because it does not sufficiently address the federal government’s debt crisis. That was one of only three times during this Congress that I voted against the Chairman’s recommendations in committee. In fact, I voted with the Republican Chairman more than 95% of the time, and I have voted with my party’s leadership more than three-quarters of the time on the House floor.

What message does leadership’s heavy-handedness send? It says that independent thinking won’t be tolerated, not even 5% of the time. It says that voting your conscience won’t be respected. It says that fulfilling your commitment to your constituents to work with both Republicans and Democrats to reduce our debt takes a back seat to the desires of corporate special interests. And, most troubling for our party, it says to the growing number of young believers in liberty that their views are not welcome here.

I’ll miss working with my colleagues on Budget. I don’t relish this situation, but if one thing is clear based on the response from the grassroots, it’s that leadership’s actions will backfire. If they think kicking me off of a committee will lead me to abandon my principles or stifle my bipartisan work toward a balanced budget, I have a message for them: You’re dead wrong.

dom89031 on December 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM