Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake, but…

posted at 7:41 pm on December 4, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It’s certainly not an apology, and he’s certainly not backing down from the content of his gun-control, middle-of-a-football-game remarks, but he did more-or-less admit that it perhaps wasn’t the right time or place for an anti-gun monologue (although, more because he didn’t have enough time to adequately explain himself than anything else). RealClear has the audio; first, Costas says he has received a “tremendously positive” response and that, of the backlash that there has been, he expects some of it is coming from the “gun lobby.” He continues:

So, I’m thinking I can’t address all of the possible aspects of this. Domestic violence; the possibility of athletes, especially athletes who play a violent sport are more prone to domestic violence than people the same age elsewhere in society. The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it’s effects are connected to other situations. We don’t know yet whether it’s connected to Belcher, but that’s certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another.

And so I saw what Jason Whitlock had written and a portion of what he wrote resonated with me and given the time that I had, I thought that was on aspect that I could put out there and maybe, maybe I gave the audience too much credit, but I said if you’re looking for perspective, a bit of it could be found. And my implication there — with every second counting, I had maybe 50 seconds total for this — my implication was a bit of perspective, here’s one aspect of it. I also put in parenthetically that in the days ahead, Belcher’s actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed. That was meant to imply there are many aspects of this, I’m addressing one by quoting what Jason Whitlock said in his column.

So I think that my mistake there was that I left it open to too much interpretation.

Gun-control advocates immediately jumping to the dastardly “gun lobby,” a.k.a. the National Rifle Association, always amazes me. What and why is the NRA so successful? Because it has the support and commitment of so many people. A lobby with well over 4 million normal Americans in it is indeed pretty darn huge, and it’s because the cause is as basic and enduring as freedom itself. There is a “war on women” in this country, but it’s not coming from Republicans — guns are the great equalizer, and there are few things that chill me more than when I hear progressives trying to think up new ways and means of depriving me of my right to defend myself.

I’m going to let Greg Gutfeld take this one away:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No Bob, it wasn’t the timing.

southsideironworks on December 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hack. Didn’t even have the guts to make it his own statement, but hid behind the words of another hack.

peski on December 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

No thanks, Bob. We’re not buying today.

hillbillyjim on December 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

The obligatory non-apology apology from another gum-flapping celebritard…Don’t care…GFY…twice…

Tim Zank on December 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Instead of making guns illegal, why not just make murder illegal?

malclave on December 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM

… And so I saw what Jason Whitlock had written and a portion of what he wrote resonated with me …

Exactly why people now see you as a far left anti-gun zealot. Your first reaction is to blame the weopon and NOT the MURDERER!

Freddy on December 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Shut it, you lear-jet limousine liberal hypocrite. Which columnist do you plan on hiding behind this time? Or will you hide behind your armed security guards?

Philly on December 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Madden should get a light pen and diagram how Costas blew the play…then put Bob’s face on the horsesh!t trailer.

Christien on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

So, in other words, you pale imitation of a smurf, you think that you are smarter than everyone else, and it’s too bad that anyone with an opinion that doesn’t mesh with yours is too dumb to get it.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

hillbillyjim on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Instead of making guns illegal, why not just make murder illegal?

malclave on December 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not good enough. We need to make thoughts of murder illegal.

Kataklysmic on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Can you imagine if a conservative at halftime of monday night football went on to say abortion is killing babies. Can you picture all the left wing whacko’s going crazy.

What costas did was a disgrace, he used a football game (Costas that has NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS) to push his liberal agenda.

His azz should be fired. But it’s NBC so he’ll probably get a promotion.

Danielvito on December 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Bob received a tremendously positive response from Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, and Chris Matthews. Idiot moonbats.

Philly on December 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Pills,booze,choom,and mad baby mama’s didn’t have anything to do with this.It was the gun,right Bobby?

docflash on December 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

hillbillyjim on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yep, and just when you think he couldn’t get any smaller…

Christien on December 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

If there wasn’t an NFL this tragedy would not have happened.

Let’s rethink banning football.

eyesky on December 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I’d like to see the statistics that sports celebs, violent sports or otherwise, are more prone to this kind of violence than others. Is is because of the sport itself (i.e., football) or the hero-worship that so many of them receive, or the background of drugs, sex, low-expectations?

Qzsusy on December 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

SCREW YOU, COSTAS! You statist slave piece of filth. If that stupid baby-mama had a gun she might be alive!

The 2nd Amendment isn’t about hunting. It’s about shooting tyrants and criminals in the face.
The 2nd Amendment isn’t about muskets, just like the 1st Amendment isn’t about muscle-powered printing presses.
The 2nd Amendment isn’t about muskets, the Colonists for the most part had BETTER rifled muskets, than the Brit’s ‘Brown Bess’ smoothbores.
And teh 2nd Amendment is an individual right, just like the other 9 amendments in the Bill of RIGHTS.

And the LAST thing a communications major drop out should be doing is saying his audience was too stupid to grasp his nuance.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

…Mistake?…Screw you Balless Bob…you’re stupid!

KOOLAID2 on December 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

And another panty waist tell us what to do Liberal leaves the studio WITH ARMED GUARDS to his GATED celebrity hideaway.

He’s no better than a used Beyonce.

PappyD61 on December 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

And Jason Whitlock would be better served advocating for the banning of jelly donuts.

eyesky on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Bob Costas will be on Bill O’Reilly tomorrow.

JPeterman on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

It’s like that lackwit scam artist divinity school drop-out Gore prattling about inventing anything.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Bob Costas thinks with his LADY PARTS.

Pork-Chop on December 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

maybe I gave the audience too much credit

See, the problem isn’t that he is a colossal douche with a complete lack of understanding of the Constitution, it’s that football fans are stupid rednecks incapable of understanding an intelligent argument.

John Deaux on December 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

If we legalize crime then the police wouldn’t need guns to catch criminals and criminal won’t need guns to commits crimes since it won’t be against the law anymore.

SparkPlug on December 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

hillbillyjim on December 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yeah ,it’s those thick-skulled, flyover, red-state,gun-totin’,toe shootin’,cousin marryin’ football fans that couldn’t discern the profound thoughtfulness,sensitivity and truth of the urbane oracle of halftime enlightenment on the futility and ignorance of the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Bob Costas will be on Bill O’Reilly tomorrow.

JPeterman on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

neh, That fauz populist O’Rielly is still busy triangulating his own phony position. Yesterday it was ‘federalize all gun crime and make mandatory 10yr sentences’. Today he just tacked the other direction, ‘it’s about personal responsibility. Guess his email overflowed with criticism.

It’s all horseshit.

Speaking of, Schumer’s tying up a military funding bill with a demand that vets undergoing psychological counseling / assitance – not even mandated medical strictures – be barred from possessing weapons.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM

^— Bob’s dink smaller than a baby carrot.

SparkPlug on December 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

An open letter to Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock

Gentlemen: I see that you have chosen to use the horrific crime of the murder of Kasandra Perkins to express your belief that guns are the problem, not the men who wield them. I am utterly certain that you believe that you have the moral high ground on this matter. I am equally certain that such a belief is appallingly wrong, not to mention terribly misogynistic. Why do I say this? Because had your desires on gun control been in place, I would not be alive to be writing this now.

Do you know what kept me safe? Not some piece of paper. Not a judge tut tutting at him and shaking his/her finger and telling him to leave me alone. Not the police, who, after all, would only be able to respond once he had caused me harm. No, what kept me safe was my Glock.
My Ex was nearly a foot taller than me and, at the time, had about 150 pounds on me. If he had been able to get close enough to me to harm me, there were very few options I had to protect myself. But with my Glock, well, I would be able to stop him before he got that close. I am alive today because he knew that if he tried to make that otherwise, there was a better than even chance he would be the one lying there in a pool of blood instead of me.

Let us not beat around the bush, you want to sacrifice my life on the altar of your political beliefs. How dare you? Honestly, who do the two of you think you are to demand that my blood be shed so that you may preen about what wonderful people you are? Why, precisely, are you removing the responsibility for Kasandra Perkins’ murder from Jovan Belcher and placing it on an inanimate object? That is what you are doing, after all. Your position is that absent the gun, Jovan Belcher would not have murdered Kasandra Perkins. What utter rot. It’s not as if, to pick something at random, he could have picked up a knife and slit her throat so violently that she was nearly decapitated. Oh no, that would never ever happen. By focusing on the gun, you are choosing to make Jovan Belcher a mere bystander to his own actions. That is horrific. Jovan Belcher murdered Kasandra Perkins. He chose to pull that trigger. He chose to take her life. How dare you attempt to absolve him in even the slightest manner for that crime. He killed her. Not a gun. He did it. No one else.

I will not let you two demand that my blood be shed so that you can sit there and declaim your supposed superior morality to the world. No. You would rather I be dead. That is the logical conclusion of your positions. I will not die for you. No other woman should either.

Alive despite you,

Alexandria

Galt2009 on December 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

maybe I gave the audience too much credit

So what he means is that his backwater simpleton NFL audience doesn’t understand the benevolence of his commentary, and so its their fault?

paulsur on December 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Sanctimonious runt.

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

There’s one good thing about this story – that Costas is starting to feel the blowback.
But he still doesn’t get it. And he never will.

22044 on December 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM

and that moron Whitlock asserts that the wave of black-on-black killing in inner cities is the fault of the NRA. That the NRA is dumping truckloads of guns in black neighborhoods and schools.

NEvermind the NRA’s highly successful ‘Eddie Eagle’ gun safety program for kids is deliberately BARRED from liberal-controlled schools. Nevermind that is was the Democrat KKK that first attempted to deny arms to blacks, so they could keep hanging them in the post-Reconstruction South. Nevermind that it is black liberal politicians that keep working to deny LEGAL access to firearms for their re-enslaved populations’ self-defense against the murderous animals they’ve created.

Lott published an interesting fact today, that 70% of this nation’s murders take place amongst only 3% of its counties. And you can be sure they are all Democrat dominated.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

If you really feel so threatened, then get yourself a cell phone and call 911, or carry mace. The moment you try to pull that gun, the attacker will overpower you, take it, shoot you, and then keep the gun and go on to kill others.

Guns don’t kill people, but women with guns GET OTHER PEOPLE KILLED!!! Please leave me out of your right-wing ‘bagger revenge fantasies.

/troll

P.S. Before I was a math teacher, I actually sold firearms for 9 years. ;-)

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

AND they are all ‘no gun’ zones.
Meanwhile as Mkat pointed out to that ignorant ass Juan WIlliams yesterday, VA with its huge growth in private gun ownership has had a huge downturn in violent crime. Imagine that. ‘More Guns = Less Crime’.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM

This just like Obama saying he didn’t do a good enough job of educating the American people. What really was there to misinterpret in Costas’ comments? it was painfully obvious what he meant. We aren’t stupid.

Your mistake Mr. Costas is that you underestimate your audience.

earlgrey133 on December 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

LSM doing what they do best: double down on stupid.

NapaConservative on December 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Bob Costas calls Jovan Belcher commentary “a mistake”

And what, exactly, is Costas’s position on gun control? He said he draws a line at semi-automatic weapons.

“Here’s where I stand: I do not want to see the Second Amendment repealed. … People should be allowed to own guns for their own protection. Obviously, those who are hunters. … Access to guns is too easy in some cases. I don’t see any reason a citizen should be able to arm himself in some states in ways only police or military should — to have a virtual militia [by] mail order or gun shows. Why do you need a semi-automatic weapon? What possible use is there?

Does this Obama Voter even know what is a semi-automatic weapon?

According to ATF, 73 percent — or more than 1 million guns sold in the U.S. in 2006 — were semiautomatic pistols.

That’s in the case of pistols – it would seem like he wants at 73% of the guns sold today to be banned – how is that being in favor of the second amendment?

Chip on December 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

An open letter to Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock

Alive despite you,

Alexandria

Galt2009 on December 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Worthy of a re-post, for sure. Sums it all better than anyone in the media can.

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Alive despite you,

Alexandria

Cowardly asses who fly and live first class. Who 95% of the time do not have to deal with daily situations the rest of us do. Not content to be happy with the lives they have, it’s their overall superiority that makes them feel they know what is best.

Bloomberg, Feinstein, etc. all have armed security. But eff Mrs. Johnson trying to shop at 9:00 at night and some turd tries to jack her or worse.

arnold ziffel on December 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Piss on Bob Costas.

RoyalFlush on December 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

/troll

P.S. Before I was a math teacher, I actually sold firearms for 9 years. ;-)

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You got stats to back that up? Didn’t think so douche. I personally know women who have survived attack because they were armed. So you are saying women are too stupid to be allowed to defend themselves with a firearm and should carry mace. Well. if the attacker can take the gun away from her, why can’t the attacker take the mace away and use that against her? Oh, and take the time to call 911 while she is being attacked. You assume women are too stupid to protect themselves. What a sexist piece of sh!t you are.

chewmeister on December 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

OT: Looks as if Fox is doing some purging of their “professional political analysts”…

d1carter on December 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

OT back at ya.

Carter Ham News.

JPeterman on December 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If you Google “images” Whitlock, you’ll quickly see where his real interest lies. He’s just a “typical” responsibility-shirking Obamabot. Costas is another story; a pseudo-intellectual with a inferiority complex, torn between episodes of ingratiation and a ego-driven compulsion to condescend.

But, since they’ve both made it quite clear what they think of the likes of me … I can resume not knowing who the f*** Whitlock is, and, I can continue to ignore the ever-cloying Costas and rejecting the offerings of his employer.

M240H on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Piss on Bob Costas.

RoyalFlush on December 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I wouldn’t waste the piss, even if he were on fire.

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

eyesky on December 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM

If we use Bob’s logic, that could happen. Ban Bob Costas, the sanctimonious twit.

Philly on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Oh no Bob, we totally got what you were saying; it was perfectly clear. You believe that an America without private, scratch that with only the right private ownership of guns is your desire. Funny thing there Bob, I’m betting that prior to the crime that was committed, you would have thought that football player was one of those “right” people to be a gun owner. Because, you see Bob, we know the kind of person you are, your “right” people are the rich, the famous, those with the right connections. Any poor schlub in the stands, you know, the people who actually shell out the money so that you can get the salary that makes you one of the “special people” is viewed by you as just one of the ignorant masses and their ownership of firearms is viewed by you as an affront to your elite status.

No Bob, we totally know what you were saying and understood it loud and clear. What is perplexing to us is that your employer is going to continue to pay you that high salary you earn and let you keep that job you have despite your spitting on so many of the people who are responsible for the revenues that pay your salary. Not surprising though, because your employer does that every day, basically treating its audience as a bunch of brain dead morons who will suck up whatever marxist demcrat (but I repeat myself) propaganda it puts out each day. Sadly, they are 52% correct on that. But I suspect a larger demo of the football audience may not be too happy with you or NBC. Hopefully this will affect the ratings; but since it is football, people are probably going to continue to watch despite your contempt for them.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Up yours, you nipped-and-tucked little preening Progressive popinjay.

rrpjr on December 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

chewmeister on December 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Unless I missed something, it looks like he sarc tagged his remarks.

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Costas should stick to sports. How about a discussion of how so many millionaire athletes wind up on the wrong side of the law and then play again? Apparently he was held above the law since High School. How about some chit chat about how injured athletes get all the drugs they need so they dont miss too much playing time? Dude was drinking on pain killers. Even a geeky midget like Costas knows this is a deadly mix. Better yet why do team owners pay these thugs tens of millions of dollars with NO regard to their character. Yeah Bob – if there was tighter gun control he would never have been the thug that he was since High School.

iam7545r on December 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Lemme take a whack at it….

We are led to believe by the left that women are at the very least the intellectual equals of men (the media would have us believe they are smarter). The left would have us believe that women are just as physically capable of most jobs men can do. The left pushes for women in combat in our military.

But this same left would have you believe that a woman with a privately owned firearm is a tragic statistic waiting to happen.

CurtZHP on December 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Sorry, I guess I missed that. This kind of stuff gets me so ticked off.

chewmeister on December 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Shut Up and Sing, Bob. Most Americans not only don’t care what you think about this, but also they disagree with you. Shut Up and Sing.

petefrt on December 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

#FireCostas: Backlash over Bob Costas anti-gun rant, double standards erupts

As Twitchy reported, Bob Costas hijacked Sunday Night Football with a sanctimonious anti-gun lecture. The reaction was, of course, fast and furious. It continues today.

Hank Williams, Jr was fired for expressing political views, so what about this leftist propagandist, Bob Costas? #fairness
Fire his a**!!!—
Suzie (@suziejoh) December 03, 2012

Galt2009 on December 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

… P.S. Before I was a math teacher, I actually sold firearms for 9 years. ;-)

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Lived in Texas for ten very happy years. Knew I had finally been accepted by those around me when one of my coworkers asked me to help him pick out a new purse gun for his fiancee.

M240H on December 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, Costas, maybe we should just blame your stupidity on your mic, as you blame the young woman’s death on a gun and not on the man who pulled the trigger.

TXUS on December 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

d1carter on December 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Can we petition FOX to also shitcan Geraldo, Huckabee and three others to be named later?

arnold ziffel on December 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Yeah, that cell phone will be great. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Where I live, they are at least 30 to 45 minutes away. Have you seen how ineffective mace can be in many cases? Yeah, that’s a winner right there. In addition, let’s burn that straw man a little more: If the criminal can take away your gun, then what are the odds he’s going to take your cell phone and mace? Yeah, your statement lacks a certain amount of logic. No, your statement is completely illogical.

/troll

Let’s see, I’m sure this young lady might differ. BTW, she is a civilian, not an LE officer. She has put forth time training, but she is still a normal citizen.

NRA Rifleman has many news accounts of women who have successfully defended themselves using handguns, so again, your story lacks credibility.

P.S. Before I was a math teacher, I actually sold firearms for 9 years. ;-)

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Gee, I don’t know, but something just seems, oh, I don’t know, unbelievable about that statement.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Costas’s mistake is that he doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. He should stick to jock-sniffing.

RobertE on December 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

maybe I gave the audience too much credit

1. FU.

2. How does that jive with this:

?

Maybe it doesn’t.

Axe on December 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM

“It’s certainly not an apology…”

Why would he apologize? He didn’t do or say anything that warrants an apology.

An employee of a broadcast company gave his opinion during a game. Big deal. Either contact the employer and complain, or turn the channel.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Carter Ham News.

JPeterman on December 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Glad to see he’s still alive…

d1carter on December 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

We’ve got this thing around here called a “sarc tag.” You might want to look into it.

CurtZHP on December 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

arnold ziffel on December 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Yes, and maybe more than three to be named later…

d1carter on December 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Easy, AZ, everyone — there’s a “troll” sarcasm tag there. :)

/troll

P.S. Before I was a math teacher, I actually sold firearms for 9 years. ;-)

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Axe on December 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

That is exceptionally astute. Gun control advocates have never been concerned about anyone’s safety, they are concerned about controlling people. In fact the more they can put people in danger and get away with lying about the reason, the more they will continue. Look at the progressive bastions and reasonable person can understand how dangerous big government is, and how important the Second Amendment has become.

Progressives love to create boogeymen, and false correlation. Guns are one of the left’s boogeymen, if there were no guns there would be no violence, and if we would just let them take our guns a communist utopia would be the result. We are just too stupid to understand.

Bob Costas is a political lackey who took advantage of the tragedy of a man murdering a 22 year old mother to spew progressive memes.

Rode Werk on December 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

We don’t get to watch a lot of Cowboy games up here in ND. Turns out Sunday’s game was televised here. I try to ignore football as much as humanly possible. I happened to be watching when that little idiot said what he did. I was instantly pissed. Personal responsibility is a foreign concept for these idgits.

TXMomof3 on December 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Not sure if anyone heard the Todd Schnitt show yesterday or today, but he had a caller on who had some interesting things to say about the now deceased Chief’s player that set off Bob’s rant. Basically the caller had to move his family to Florida to get away from the guy to save his son’s life.

But yeah, it was the gun’s fault.

xblade on December 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

arnold ziffel on December 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Christ why wait.
Add Skeletor (and his sister-in-law, who play opposites on O’Reilly before sharing a cab ride uptown).
Add Shep Smith and his phony pretense of being the ‘News’ person at Fox, while his noon and 4pm shows do nothing by read AP wire fraud.
Add token Juan Williams, with his incessant talking points -bot bullshit.

rayra on December 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

For all these “guns kill people” idiots, who think they’re going to hide behind the rest of us sane folk, (who have/own firearms legally) when the sh!t hits the fan, I’m here to tell ya, YOU’RE ON YOUR OWN.

That’s all.

waterytart on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

But none of the “tremendously positive” responses could possibly be coming from the anti-gun lobby though, right Bob?

xblade on December 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hey costas BITE ME….By the way bobby, when I went to the range today, I never once thought about you, jackwad…..

crosshugger on December 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

waterytart on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Amen. I hope to have my husband home to hide behind him. We’ll at least be well armed.

TXMomof3 on December 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did, eh, inferno boy?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

when you read this…well, it doesn’t really mare any sense

costas is none too bright. let me guess…not good at sports, two-digit IQ, likes to talk, has a pretty face…bingo..Sports caster…

if he was bigger i’d say that he’d had had too many concussions…so let’s just say when you look up to a guy that says NRA=KKK you are none too bright

r keller on December 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

“maybe I gave the audience too much credit”

So according to Bob it’s the audience fault because they are too what? Dumb?

The fault lies with Bob, his arrogance and talking about something he knows little about.

Charm on December 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Yo, Costas! BITE ME!

I will never ever watch one of your craptastic “sportscasts”. NEVER AGAIN.

Example – “Bob Ferapples is on the US Winter Olympics Luge Team. His family died in a housefire, his dog got run over by a car and his cat was eaten by rats. Bob suffers from eczema and acne. Lets hope Bob overcomes his troubles and soars to victory.”

Screw that noise. Did Bob get the gold, the silver, bronze or did he get tin? He didnt place? Stinkin’ LOSER!

CatchAll on December 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Rug wearin’ leftist midget is also the worst sportsyakker on tv.
He kills the Olympics and every other event he graces with his vertically challenged perspective.

buy a clue, NBC

james23 on December 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

“It’s certainly not an apology…”

Why would he apologize? He didn’t do or say anything that warrants an apology.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Your comments are like a squad of long nails on a chalk board.

hawkdriver on December 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did, eh, inferno boy?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did what?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Bob,

By your own admission you had 50 seconds to sum to deal with a complex issue. Something that none of your viewers really were thinking about in the first place. You came out against the Constitution without even knowing the facts of the issue. You chose a racist hack’s commentary to do so. You truly are an idiot.

P.S. I don’t buy for a minute that your feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

Happy Nomad on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Erika, you are spot on. People like Costas scare the life out of me. I get the chills when they talk about disarming me. And Gutfeld has it right too. The people who advocate for victim disarmament are the ones who never have to deal with being a potential victim.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It figures that worthless filth like you would come to the defense of the guy who is anti-Constitution. Really, how in the hell do you justify stealing oxygen from decent human beings?

Happy Nomad on December 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

So according to Bob it’s the audience fault because they are too what? Dumb?

Charm on December 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The audience was there to watch a football game. It wasn’t even a KC game and many probably had little knowledge of the murder/suicide that prompted the screed. They didn’t need a sermon about the need to get rid of the Second Amendment from a no-talent sports commentor who really didn’t do anything but parrot the editorial from a racist journalist. All this in less than a minute.

Happy Nomad on December 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Why would he apologize? He didn’t do or say anything that warrants an apology.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

that little midget who never played a sport exploited a murder/suicide to get on his soapbox in the middle of a sporting event to force feed his opinion down the viewers’ throats. We tune into sports to get away from this crap, but NBC repeatedly tries to politicize everything they can.

There is no turning the channel when the game is only on that one channel with that one little hobbit preaching his unsolicited sermon.

Daemonocracy on December 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Jim, feel free to post a link to a story where this happened. People like you have been making that claim for decades and I’ve yet to see a single instance of it happening. I remember one story where a woman’s abusive husband tried to rip the gun out of her hand when he attacked her. He broke several of her fingers, but never got the gun. But he did get three rounds in the abdomen for his troubles.

Truth be told, when I was in my 20s and thought I knew everything, it was obvious to me that gun control saved lives. Started hanging around in talk.politics.guns where you have to defend your position with facts, quotes, statistics, and studies. The support for the vast majority of gun control laws doesn’t exist. When that conclusion became inescapable, I changed my mind. We do need a dialog on the issue, but it’s people like you need to do a lot more listening.

Socratease on December 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

maybe I gave the audience too much credit

That just has condescending a–hole written all over it.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

You don’t suppose Costa has security at NBC and the other sporting events do you? Typical liberal hypocrite.

Minnfidel on December 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Happy Nomad on December 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

He’s not much more than a troll now. Not sure what he enjoys about commenting here, but he sounds like he has a perpetual stick in his butt.

hawkdriver on December 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Funny, one would think that you of all people would take offense at someone advocating abrogating constitutional rights.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Why would he apologize? He didn’t do or say anything that warrants an apology.

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

So, if we complain…you’ll leave?

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Minnfidel on December 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Why would he need security? He’s a nobody.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

That’s utter bs, misogynist. My neighbor, a 65 year old woman, shot a home invader. I chased off a pervert with a drawn gun. Those are just anecdotes, but there are thousands of stories like ours.

You really hate women if you think we should be disarmed.

You are my enemy. You want me to be a victim. You are evil.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Kind of like “Piss Christ”?

Glenn Jericho on December 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

That’s all.

waterytart on December 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Indeed!

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did, eh, inferno boy?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did what?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Damn! You certainly are stupid.

And…you’re an idiot.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Socratease on December 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

You might take note of the /troll attached to Jim’s post.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I didn’t get to watch little Bobbie’s drivel, but one thing I am wondering. . . .

Just who were little Bobbie’s sponsors?

Have any of them publicly backed up Bobbie’s little rant?

If any body knows. . . please let us know!

Narniaman on December 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM