Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake, but…

posted at 7:41 pm on December 4, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It’s certainly not an apology, and he’s certainly not backing down from the content of his gun-control, middle-of-a-football-game remarks, but he did more-or-less admit that it perhaps wasn’t the right time or place for an anti-gun monologue (although, more because he didn’t have enough time to adequately explain himself than anything else). RealClear has the audio; first, Costas says he has received a “tremendously positive” response and that, of the backlash that there has been, he expects some of it is coming from the “gun lobby.” He continues:

So, I’m thinking I can’t address all of the possible aspects of this. Domestic violence; the possibility of athletes, especially athletes who play a violent sport are more prone to domestic violence than people the same age elsewhere in society. The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it’s effects are connected to other situations. We don’t know yet whether it’s connected to Belcher, but that’s certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another.

And so I saw what Jason Whitlock had written and a portion of what he wrote resonated with me and given the time that I had, I thought that was on aspect that I could put out there and maybe, maybe I gave the audience too much credit, but I said if you’re looking for perspective, a bit of it could be found. And my implication there — with every second counting, I had maybe 50 seconds total for this — my implication was a bit of perspective, here’s one aspect of it. I also put in parenthetically that in the days ahead, Belcher’s actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed. That was meant to imply there are many aspects of this, I’m addressing one by quoting what Jason Whitlock said in his column.

So I think that my mistake there was that I left it open to too much interpretation.

Gun-control advocates immediately jumping to the dastardly “gun lobby,” a.k.a. the National Rifle Association, always amazes me. What and why is the NRA so successful? Because it has the support and commitment of so many people. A lobby with well over 4 million normal Americans in it is indeed pretty darn huge, and it’s because the cause is as basic and enduring as freedom itself. There is a “war on women” in this country, but it’s not coming from Republicans — guns are the great equalizer, and there are few things that chill me more than when I hear progressives trying to think up new ways and means of depriving me of my right to defend myself.

I’m going to let Greg Gutfeld take this one away:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Funny, one would think that you of all people would take offense at someone advocating abrogating constitutional rights.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Nah. Dumbo is an anarcho/capitalist. They don’t believe in the Constitution, government or laws (except for lesser beings – sort of like costas).

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You might take note of the /troll attached to Jim’s post.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Generally a sarcasm tag looks like: /s or /

This was a bit more ambiguous

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Check out the “/troll” attached to his post.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yeah. It threw me at first – but I decided to go with “benefit of the doubt”, since people here put so many other expressions next to the /.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Check out the “/troll” attached to his post.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Oh, thanks. I’m so sorry. I didn’t even turn on my Sarc-O-meter this evening.

Lefties are saying that stuff on other websites, and they really are the enemy.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I love how the left always tries to paint the “gun lobby” as this almighty- all powerful organization that can define the direction of anything when the NRA makes a tiny amount of monetary contributions compared to the green lobby and the Sierra Club, or the gay lobby, or even abortion advocates. Of course, no problem with those having tremendous influence and money.

ptcamn on December 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My interpretation was and remains that Bob Costas is and always has been a clown who wears his ass as a hat.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

The cause was not guns or drugs or football or the “manly culture” or whatever other straws the libs wish to grasp.

There is one answer and it is to painful for liberals to face:

“From the wild Irish slums of the 19th century Eastern seaboard to the riot-torn suburbs of Los Angeles, there is one unmistakable lesson in American history: a community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken families, dominated by women, never acquiring any stable relationship to male authority, never acquiring any set of rational expectations about the future – that community asks for and gets chaos.”

– Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Family and Nation, 1965

As for the BS about the NRA being the new KKK, the KC reporter needs to be reminded about the plaintiffs in the two most important gun rights cases in decades.

In District of Columbia v Heller, et al, the plaintiffs were Shelly Parker (African-American woman), Tracey Ambeau Hanson (African-American woman), Tom Parker (gay), Gillian St. Lawrence (SWF), George Lyon (white attorney recruited by Tracey Ambeau Hanson), and Dick Heller (white, licenced special police officer for the District of Columbia. For his job, Heller carried a gun in federal office buildings, but was not allowed to have one in his home).

In McDonald v. Chicago, Otis McDonald was a 76 year old (in 2010) retired maintenance engineer, had lived in the Morgan Park neighborhood since buying a house there in 1971.[7] McDonald decried the decline of his neighborhood, describing it as being taken over by gangs and drug dealers. His lawn was regularly littered with refuse and his home and garage had been broken into a combined five times, with the most recent robbery committed by a man McDonald recognized from his own neighborhood.[7] An experienced hunter, McDonald legally owned shotguns, but believed them too unwieldy in the event of a robbery, and wanted to purchase a handgun for personal home defense. Due to Chicago’s then ban on handgun registrations after 1982, which required all handguns in the city to be registered, he was unable to do so. As a result, in 2008, he joined three other Chicago residents in filing a lawsuit which became McDonald v. Chicago.

Otis McDonald was a sharecropper when he arrived in Chicago at the age of 17. He joined the United States Army and honourably served his country in the 1960s. He is also an African-American.

Listen to this American hero, who could teach Jason Whitlock more than anyone he has ever met:

Otis McDonald — Everyday people can make a difference

Like the millions of law abiding gun owners in America, I am a peace loving person. I own firearms so that I can defend myself and my family, should that need arise. While I sincerely hope that I am never in the position of having to fire a gun in self defense, I rest easier at night knowing that I could stop an armed robber, racist attacker, terrorist, or home invader if the need arose. I also rest easier knowing that my wife could stop a rapist or murderer, rather than becoming a victim. The simple fact is that gun control laws don’t stop criminals from getting guns, and instead only disarm the law abiding citizens, making them easier targets for the criminals. Nor is it justifiable to deprive law abiding citizens of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms for self defense, just because criminals misuse guns, just as criminals misuse other tools.

Given those facts, I would encourage my fellow law abiding citizens who do not yet own a gun to do the following: go shooting for the first time, choose the proper gun for self defense, purchase that gun, store the gun in a responsible manner, and become proficient at safely using that gun. Next, join the NRA to protect your right to have a gun for self defense. Doing so may save your life one day, and can also benefit society as a whole.

- Otis McDonald, Patriot

Resist We Much on December 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

So, are others having trouble with refresh tonight? When I refresh, instead of going to the last post, I wind up on the top of the page.

/I am not amused by this behavior

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Resist We Much on December 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Great post.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You got stats to back that up? Didn’t think so douche. … What a sexist piece of sh!t you are.

chewmeister on December 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Socratease on December 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That’s utter bs, misogynist. … You are my enemy. … You are evil.

juliesa on December 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Umm…/troll on the original post, guys? :-) No hard feelings. I know this is a sensitive subject for most of us, and a lot of us are on edge what with the full progressive onslaught since the election.

Solaratov on December 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

That’s exactly what I was thinking, since I decided to troll just for the heck of it. Heh. Usually my attempts get ignored, but this one touched a pretty raw nerve it would seem.

Gee, I don’t know, but something just seems, oh, I don’t know, unbelievable about that statement.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

It is a weird combination. It didn’t start that way. At the sporting goods store I started out in fishing, but then they moved me to the gun department, where I ended up Asst. Manager. I also worked as a casino dealer. None of them believed me when I told them I was finishing up a math degree. Hey, I had to do something to put myself through college. You should have seen the looks I got from some of my coworkers at the school when I told them what I did for a living before. A fair number of them thought it was pretty cool. We’re a silent minority in academia, but not as tiny of a minority as I thought going in.

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Yes. I was trolling. No hard feelings, ok?

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yes. I was trolling. No hard feelings, ok?

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Nah. I’m just glad there isn’t somebody registered here that really is that dumb to hold such opinions.

/not to some of the trolls haven’t come close

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Maybe Costas had just watched a marathon of “The Newsroom” and decided to act like an Aaron Sorkin character in a desperate bid to become “relevant” beyond sports.

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

If the content of his arguments didn’t convince us, Costas demonstrates his liberalism by the method by which he argues: Talk all around the issue, then dare someone to criticize your conclusion, when you didn’t really conclude anything except that Feelings matter.

When the Pompous One does it, his main point is Fairness is a legitimate goal. If we criticize the speech in which he frames this oft-repeated clap-trap, we have “taken his words out of context.”

Basically these self-appointed pontiffs want the freedom to talk a lot, say little and avoid criticism because they threw every reasonable constituency group a bone along the way. The implication is that, in their wisdom, they threw you exactly how much of a bone your argument was entitled to. And if you didn’t get one at all, well…what does that tell you?

Costas had been becoming the sportscaster for all the little old ladies, but many of them are conservative. His primary fan base may turn on him over this.

rwenger43 on December 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Bob Costas will be on Bill O’Reilly tomorrow.

JPeterman on December 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Because Costas is too scared to debate Mark Levin.

Kyle_Reese on December 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

and maybe, maybe I gave the audience too much credit,

That should be grounds for a tar-and-feathering in itself.

“No, no, it’s not that I said anything wrong. You people just weren’t smart enough to understand my brilliance.”

Could he be any more condescending and insulting?

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Make them a deal and change the 2nd amendment. The deal: States decide gun laws and a constitutional bolster of state’s rights. Ten thousand page amendment spelling it all out, and you can repeal and replace the 10th at the same time. Maybe some others.

Buddahpundit on December 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

There’s a time-honored tradition of that sentiment on the Left. Adlai Stevenson felt exactly like that after losing to Ike twice.

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Yes. I was trolling. No hard feelings, ok?

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Apparently, your imitation of a troll is pretty convincing….

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

So… guns cause crime, spoons made Rosie O’Donnel fat and microphones make people like Costas stupid. This can’t be a coincidence, right? Maybe there’s something to this.

ghostwalker1 on December 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Apparently, your imitation of a troll is pretty convincing….

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

By the time a guy can put “/troll” on the post and still get his butt handed to him, he’s an artist of unusual talent. :)

Must be from the school of Bishop. They can levitate, you know.

Axe on December 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

JimLennon’s post turned several people into pinheads. It was obvious that his post was satire of the liberal viewpoint, and underlined by the ‘/troll’ should have made it even more obvious.

rayra on December 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wow. I always thought this guy was a smarmy, little prick, but he’s truly outdone himself with this.

Thanks to Galt2009 (8:11 PM) who posted the letter from Alexandria taking li’l Bobby to task. It was music to my eyes reading that!

JannyMae on December 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Moron gun control….For over 200 years, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution has been law. No other controls are legal.

byteshredder on December 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Buddahpundit on December 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I am with you.

Sad when it reaches this point.

IlikedAUH2O on December 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM

He said, “maybe I gave the audience too much credit.” That’s not admitting anything. That’s saying, “you people are too stupid to understand that I was right.”

Jeff A on December 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM

The ‘unhappy diva’ has spoken to the peasants in his usual condescending whining voice. Gutfeld nailed it.

uber-con on December 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Go Gutfeld!

cmsinaz on December 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Bob, brevity is the soul of wit. Thank you for admitting you’re witless…

golfer1 on December 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM

that little midget who never played a sport exploited a murder/suicide to get on his soapbox in the middle of a sporting event to force feed his opinion down the viewers’ throats. We tune into sports to get away from this crap, but NBC repeatedly tries to politicize everything they can.

There is no turning the channel when the game is only on that one channel with that one little hobbit preaching his unsolicited sermon.

Daemonocracy on December 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

You chose to watch; no one forced you. If you don’t like “NBC repeatedly [trying] to politicize everything they can,” then I suggest you watch a different channel or turn the tv off altogether.

AZfederalist on December 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I don’t agree with him at all, but what did he do or say that warrants an apology?

Dante on December 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM

My feelings on Bob Costas pontificating during a football game can be summed up by a line Chuck Norris used in one of his movies: “If I wanted your opinion, I’d beat it out of you”.

kwbrownie2003 on December 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Dear Mr. Costas,

Inanimate objects do not impart changes in emotion to people just by existing. They do not force people to do anything, they do not make decisions for individuals, and they are not magically creating an environment of murder.

Guns are not totems.

Guns are not physical manifestations of a God of Hate.

Guns are not psychoactive drugs that exude poison that create hysteria into the air around them.

No weapon created by man is purely defensive and all can be turned to ill use. Removing guns does not remove hate, but creates defenseless people who can no longer resist those who would put life and property at peril. Guns do not create crime, but are a defense against crime as each of us has the positive natural liberty to defend our life which is OURS TO DEFEND by having it. My property is a representation of the time I have invested in creating personal wealth so that I can have such property and it is an extension of my life that I am to protect because it represents that time investment that can never be made good save by its return when stolen. Theft is an attack on my life as much as any other assault is and I have the positive natural liberty to defend that life.

Perhaps you haven’t spent much time at a range, Mr. Costas, or taking part in shooting events or the steadfast members of the Appleseed Project. Perhaps you should ask to cover an IPSEC event or three, or other practical shooting events that utilize CQB by civilians so as to self-train on defending oneself, one’s family, one’s home and yet still do one’s best to minimize risk to the innocent.

I am sorry that you are so sheltered, so ill-informed, so lacking the want of trying to even understand what it is that you are saying that you cannot figure out how offensive you are to millions of people. You can cure these lacks by taking a look outside the limited criminal venue and at the much wider venue of society and see how millions upon millions of responsible gun owners are NOT the cause of death, the creators of mayhem or the instigators of anarchy. That would mean you had an open mind and were willing to actually acknowledge your ignorance and how what you said has nothing to do with lack of timing and everything to do with lack of knowledge. Not that your own career hasn’t offered examples of this in the past, particularly with OJ… but you appear to not have learned any lessons from your former colleague’s behavior, so perhaps, just perhaps, you might see if you are willing to actually learn what it is you are talking about before you spout off once more.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity: one of them is curable. If you can’t bother with the cure then you prove that you have the other.

ajacksonian on December 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Costas said in a later interview that he knew he only had about a minute and a half to say something & he made the decision to take the oopportunity to say what he did, leaving his comments open for too much interpretation. His explanation of what he meant took nearly 7 minutes….

He shouldn’t have brought ‘political commentary’ into a sports broadcast to begin with; however…

Knowing he had only 1 1/2 minutes, he should have known/realized that was too little time to discuss such a complex issue. Instead, he made the poor decision to commit a ‘talk show-ism’ — dropping a controversial statement (contraversial in that it was extremely short & open to much interpretation) without time enough to cover it fully.

To Costas’ credit, he NEVER said the words ‘Gun Control’…but the above still applies…

easyt65 on December 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Bob Costas(D) apologizes for all of you being too stupid to understand his superior reasoning

DANEgerus on December 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

And it gets bigger as his head swells.

belad on December 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM

why not just make murder illegal?

malclave on December 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Murder is illegal and yet, there are still murders.

Some cities are “gun free” and have the highest shooting incidences.

It all comes down to the term law-abiding.

Make all the laws you want, criminals do not abide by them.

roy_batty on December 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Jeff A on December 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Yuup.

roy_batty on December 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

This is why I loathe watching anything on NBC. I seldom watch football on that network. (like never) If CBS starts doing this sort of thing, I’ll stop watching football on CBS and stick with the NFL instant replay.

They need to remove this dipstick from his job commentating on football, but they won’t because he’s a socialist jackass just like the rest of them.

Costas definitely preached the wrong ideology in the wrong place at the wrong time to the wrong audience.

dogsoldier on December 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’m on my way to the back yard to put multiple magazines through my handguns in Costas honor. I only wish he were here to use as a target. Can he dance?

RFA on December 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

“Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake, but…”

“… I’m a liberal so I’m going to double-down on stupid.”

Finished it for you Costas…

dominigan on December 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

So now he’s expressly insulting his viewership? How does this weaselly flaphead still have a job?

JeremiahJohnson on December 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Found on a friend’s blog:

Dear Bob Costas:

Tell me again about still being alive if that engraged football player didn’t have a gun.

Sincerely,

Nicole Simpson Brown

Which could probably be summed up as “Nicole Simpson Brown was unavailable for comment.”

LibraryGryffon on December 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

rplat on December 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Really? So, you make your living on the edges of such a vile enterprise? Don’t you feel guilty, that you exploit violence for a living, and enable violence off the field by helping to make this sport popular?

I think that if you surveyed those NFL players who have had violence-related run-ins with the law, the over-represented group would be those raised in fatherless homes.

Akzed on December 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Oh please, we have real problems and issues to debate . . . who cares what this jerk thinks or says? rplat on December 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Oh I dunno, I still find it alarming when public figures advocate infringing a right that shall not be infringed.

Akzed on December 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Interpretation? No Bob, you made it clear. There is a pretty solid interpretation. Especially afte rWhitlock doubled down with the kkk reference. Mouth insert foot.

jake49 on December 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did what?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals #4: Make your enemy live up to their own moral code.

Liberal moral code: No political commentary during sportscasts.

unclesmrgol on December 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This guy’s just another deluded libturd. He been taking lessons from Stephanocchio Cutter and Jay CarneyClown cuz he’s just delusional and deluding enough to be ready to be a spokesman for Obamuh. All credibility lost.

stukinIL4now on December 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Take away Mr. Costas’ armed guards. He is a hypocrite.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

weaselyone on December 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This episode shows us the hierarchy of issues to the liberal.

Given a tragic murder/suicide the liberals jump on the “ban guns” bandwagon…

…instead of talking about domestic violence.

So, given that liberal would rather ban guns than stop domestic violence…

…tell me again how much liberals “love” women.

Religious_Zealot on December 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I knew exactly how this would play out when I heard him say it. Bob Costas is a supercilious buffoon who talks about sports as if he could step onto the field and show the pros how its done. His interviews are always more self-serving and providing information to the audience, and I cannot stand him.

For him to suggest that without a gun, a very large man who engages in a harsh physical contact sport couldn’t manage to kill another human being and himself, is just plain stupid. I’ve written ABC and told them the same, though with short sentences and small words, so that they will understand.

Well, clearly they didn’t. For Costas to then go on and further insult his audience by claiming they didn’t understand the nuance of his words, which were simple and plain, he just needs to be fired. They fired Rush Limbaugh from MNF for stating an opinion, for claiming that there was an affirmative action angle to McNabb’s MVP award. This is far more egregious.

Freelancer on December 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I don’t care what his position is, which is the point. Why can’t we have ONE thing that we can do together that doesn’t turn into a political argument. Sports is the one place opponents can sit next to each other and cheer for the same team. I think thats important.

keith olbermann was on a weekly football broadcast while he was trashing conservatives every night on msnbc, He generally kept his politics out of his football commentary. Rush, arguably crossed the line when he was on ESPN and he was fired. Some here may disagree, but he at least put his toes on the line.

I like the no political commentary during sports broadcasts convention. (not enforced by government, but enforced by fans/customers) I want to see it enforced consistently. That is what fans are reacting to, not the content of his opinion. Though his opinion was moronic on top of it.

codewhisperer on December 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Bob Costas, NFL Surrounded by Armed Security

Bob Costas’ gun control rant was bad but made worse by one key point — he lives much of his life with the benefit of armed security. (i.e., men with guns).

The bottom line: It seems to me that when Costas went on his rant against guns he showed himself to be a hypocrite of the highest order. And in so doing, he joined ranks with O’Donnell, Moore, Bloomberg and numerous other elitists who live by the standard of “do as I say, not as I do.”

Perhaps Bobby ought to explore how the rest of us live – without the benefit of armed security.

Let him throw on a disguise and walk the walk before he talks the talk down the way of your average urban landscape.

Then he can report back to us on what he thinks of guns in the hands of the law-abiding.

Galt2009 on December 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Must be from the school of Bishop. They can levitate, you know.

Axe on December 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LOL
“When you can take the /troll tag from my hand, grasshopper, you will be ready.”

GWB on December 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The Javon Belcher/Jason Whitlock/Bob Costas insanity has turned into a death of a black woman committed by a black man under a black President being blamed on white gun owners.

J_Crater on December 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Why is this little douchebag involved with football?

Isn’t there a badminton league somewhere that needs his special skillset?

FFS….enough already.

Tim_CA on December 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I don’t remember Mr. Costas saying anything about OJ Simpson’s use of a knife. They were after all together at NBC covering NFL games. – weaselyone on December 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

OJ is innocent. He could not commit those crimes because he had horrible arthritis and could not possibly use a knife. It was just a miracle that he could play a round of golf, while he was looking for the real killer all that time …………… before he got locked away for another trumped up charge.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

OJ is innocent.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hilarious.

Tim_CA on December 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Let me understand this, an androgynous, mealy mouthed one percenter, believes that guns are the cause of violence and that without them there would be no such tragedies in the future.

Bob, you moron (and I mean that in the nicest of ways), in your world, forks make people fat. Just ANOTHER reason not to watch any channel with NBC in it’s name.

PatriotPete on December 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m still not watching SNF until he is gone. Screw him.

And for the Rush point – he made the very appropriate comment regarding Mcnabb and his ability and the push by the sports writers to elevate him higher due to his race. He essentially was calling sports writers racist technically – which certainly Mr. Whitlock is. Many in the business actually agreed with Rush – he was added to ESPN at the time to provide political commentary on sports, so unlike scarface Costas, he was doing his job.

But they didn’t like him so openly acknolwledging the elephant in the room, so he got whacked – of course he is worth more than any sportswriter or talking sports head, including Scarface, so what. But still. Do your job – get fired. Go off on a tangent in your job, be wrong in your comments, but because you are on the politically correct side of the conflict, I am too stupid to understand.

No SNF until Costas is off the show. All of it.

Zomcon JEM on December 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The anti-gun control arguments are too hung up actually needing to own a gun. Other people owning guns make us all safer, because evil doers are uncertain about who has a gun. I almost certain given what I learned later that the threat of gun use kept me from being a victim of domestic violence. Just my sincere statement that I would be willing to use a gun in self-defense made it too risky, and there was not even a gun in the house.

thuja on December 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Here’s an evil man and the left can’t even recognize that. They rather blame an inanimate object. This is just nuts. Yet despite that, Obama thinks it is a good thing ( a right) for Iran to have a nuclear weapon to make them equal with us. Somehow that is pure lunacy and if you don’t see the tragedy that awaits the US, you are blind or are really brainwashed. Suffering will purge the ‘do nothings’ but it could be avoided. What a shame.

Fuquay Steve on December 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Just goes to show that NBC is completely corrupt. It’s not just MSNBC. It’s Not just MSNBC and NBC News. It is all of NBC. (And GE.)

besser tot als rot on December 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The arrogance is Obama-esque.

Little sportscaster boy is just too damn smart for the common folk.

nico on December 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Dante on December 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I did not choose to watch actually, I was working when that game was on.

Your logic dictates that it is everyone’s else’s fault some sanctimonious jerk spouted off about his politics because they chose to eat with their family on Thanksgiving. Nobody wants to hear it!

People like to kick back and watch a football game on Sunday night, it is their escapism, that is what sports us good for. Since NBC has the contract, the football fan has no choice and he abused his public forum to exploit a murder suicide.

He’s the type of guy everyone else would tell to STFU at a football party, whether they agree with him or not, because he’s ruining the mood.

You clearly don’t get it and sound like you spend most of your time alone.

Daemonocracy on December 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Daemonocracy on December 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

And the exploitation is what really pisses me off because this little hack hobbit took the attention away from the very real possibility that this man murdered his girlfriend so he could preach about guns. God forbid I ever be in this position, but if one my family were murdered like this and Costas exploited her murder the way he did, I’d beat his face into a red paste right there in Rockefeller Center.

Daemonocracy on December 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Sorry, but the NFL player who:

- had a documented history of problems with women
- had made more money in his brief career than 95% of Americans will make in their lifetime, yet had “money problems”
- owned several guns
- had alcohol issues
- spent the previous evening with another “girlfriend” (not the babymama)
- pulled the trigger on the babymama
- pulled the trigger on himself

… has nobody to blame but himself… it is HIS fault…

I didn’t lose a wink of sleep over this one…

Khun Joe on December 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake idiotic, but…

… I choose to remain an idiot.

Lawrence on December 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Two Comments.

1) Didn’t they pillory and fire a guy named Limbaugh for making a comment about a quarterback with declining skills? Didn’t anyone remember this?

“Sorry to say this, I don’t think he’s been that good from the get-go,” Limbaugh said. “I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.” From ESPN NEWS SERVICES October 2003

I am still trying to figure how that is racist or even nasty even though I am not that nuts about Rush.

2) Costas has earned himself immediate media cred and he knows it. I hear the libs when are off guard and I guarantee they love Costas right now — they just can’t say so.

IlikedAUH2O on December 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Zomcon JEM .. I agree with what you said, so I reread my post and I gave the wrong impression. Hopefully I can explain myself better .. but probably not. :)

I didn’t mean that I was against Rush or that I thought he should be fired. I agreed with what he said about McNabb and political correctness. What I meant was the comment was arguably political in nature and if fans didn’t want political talk in football, I don’t blame them. I hadn’t heard Rush was brought in specifically to provide political commentary, if true obviously my point is null and void.

My main point was to contrast Rush’s possible political statement that got him fired vs. Costas openly pitching gun control which can’t even be argued as a non-political statement. Costas and NBC deserve the heat. I didn’t say that well.

And just to get ahead of something else I said, I wasn’t saying we shouldn’t be refuting Costas’ opinion on gun control. Just that it would have been a minor story had he said what he did on MSNBC and not MNF, just another liberal with bad ideas.

codewhisperer on December 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Nothing changes. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he opened his mouth, and probably already had some sort of explaination or apology drafted.
I’m sick and tired of the rich and famous saying provocative things, knowing that some weak apology a few days later will bail them out. No, not this time Bobby. Sunday Night Football was the only NBC show I watched – until this past weekend.

RMCS_USN on December 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

NOTE TO BOB COSTAS:

The right to a microphone is NOT superior to the right to a gun.

The arguments for and against both are exactly the same.

Be careful of what you wish for.

landlines on December 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM

PS:

If GUNS are the cause of VIOLENCE…

…are MICROPHONES the cause of STUPIDITY???

landlines on December 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

IlikedAUH2O on December 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Liberal rule #43: A statement that is not inherently racist automatically becomes racist by virtue of Rush Limbaugh having stated it.

Corollary to Liberal rule #43: A true statement made on Fox News automatically become false by virtue of the statement having been made on Fox News, unless the statement can be independently verified as true by MSNBC.

JimLennon on December 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning and she said that Obamacare is mandating so much that many doctors are forced to take early retirement if they are able. But the part that really makes my blood boil is that the forms doctors have to fill out for medicare patients have a question as to whether the patient has a gun in their home. What right do they have to know that? Infringement, violation of privacy rights and freedom from intrusion by the government. Obama has set up his dictatorship and the guns are a target. As the wicked witch of the west Pelosi said, we have to pass it so we know what’s in it. Tyranny!

wepeople on December 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Costas grew as a journalist.

a capella on December 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I did not choose to watch actually, I was working when that game was on.

You clearly don’t get it and sound like you spend most of your time alone.

Daemonocracy on December 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I didn’t say anything about fault. I said you had a choice to watch it, and since you’ve said that you have grown tired of NBC politicizing everything, I suggested that you watch a different channel or turn the tv off altogether. I doubt someone forced you to work in a place in which NBC and football games are aired. Again, that was your choice.

You seem to run away from personal responsibility and personal choice, falsely believing that things are forced upon you when in fact they are not. No one is forcing you to watch tv, and no one is forcing you to watch NBC. (Additionally, I was unaware you were chosen to speak for everyone.)

Nice personal attacks, though.

Dante on December 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Dante on December 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Geez, you’re stupid!

Nice personal attacks, though.

Dante on December 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Just a fact demonstrated by your stupid comments. This must be why you don’t understand why the Costas comments caused such an uproar.

Vince on December 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Vince on December 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

You’re confused.

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh did what?

Dante on December 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Liberal moral code: No political commentary during sportscasts.

unclesmrgol on December 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Besides, Rush was correct in his assertion that sports “journalists” and media had been trying to prop Donovan McNabb up as “The Great Black Hope” of NFL quarterbacks. Ever since Doug Williams, sports media have been searching for a black quarterback to “remake the position.” It’s been a long and winding trail from Randall Cunningham through Donovan McNabb, Steve Mcnair, Rodney Peete, Vince Young, Michael Vick, Cam Newton and now Robert Griffin III. I’m sure I left somebody out of that list.

Mitoch55 on December 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Mitoch55 on December 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I still don’t see what the guy’s point about Rush is. Maybe he thinks NBC and ESPN are the same company?

Dante on December 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Sorry – Costas said what he said – not open to interpretation. Appears the basis of his rant was another rant in a KC paper by someone who blamed a conservative organization for providing guns to minorities. Give me a break. This football player was wealthy by all standards.

Costas is buying into the leftist media bias and just HAD to say something. No, he didn’t – he owns his opinions but why do we have to listen to a sports caster?

Mr. Costas – our media, including sportscasters needs to wake up to the problems facing this country. And blaming whatever for total lack of personal responsibility is NOT the way to go. YOU have responsibilities, I have responsibilities and so does everyone else. When covering only one side of a situation, by default the media blames everyone else. This must stop if we are ever to return to a nation of creators, inventors, and responsible individuals.

MN J on December 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

JimLennon on December 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Costas grew as a journalist.

a capella on December 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

60% of the time, I’m right every time. ;-)

JimLennon on December 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM