Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 1, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

***

***

One month before the deadline, negotiations between President Barack Obama and Republicans to save the economy from a plunge over the fiscal cliff are still in the throat-clearing stage. Serious bargaining is on hold while the two sides vie for political leverage.

Deal or no deal, nothing is likely to become clear until far closer to the year-end deadline, when the lure of getting away for the holidays will sharpen the focus of negotiators.

‘‘There’s a stalemate. Let’s not kid ourselves,’’ House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Friday, punctuating the end of a week of political theater by divided government. ‘‘Right now we’re almost nowhere.’’

He spoke as Obama all but called Republicans heartless louts from a Charles Dickens story. Their failure to pass an extension of middle class tax cuts would amount to a Christmas ‘‘lump of coal’’ for millions, Obama said in Hatfield, Pa. ‘‘That’s a Scrooge Christmas,’’ added the recently-re-elected president, who claims a voters’ mandate to extend existing tax cuts for all but upper incomes.

***

Facing backlash from Republicans as the fiscal cliff nears, anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist defended his position Tuesday, claiming that the constant pressure of hitting the debt ceiling gives the GOP “leverage” to press President Obama on tax rates and spending cuts.

“Taxpayers are best protected if the ‘negotiations are on CSPAN so they cannot be misrepresented by ‘spokesmen,’” Norquist wrote in a column for The Hill. “The debt ceiling that Obama’s plans bump into every month or so for the next four years provides plenty of ‘leverage’ for the GOP to trade for spending cuts — as done in 2011 — or continuing the lower rates.”

Norquist continued: “The debt ceiling and continuing resolutions to fund the government are more secure tools than a hope that Obama has become Bill Clinton.”

***

I don’t think President Obama wants to go down as the worst president in history, do you?

Well, that’s what going over the fiscal cliff will make him. And that’s why the Republicans have a lot a leverage.

The massive spending cuts and tax increases set to kick in January 2 will cause a second recession, from which we may not emerge for many months. The economy may not really get going for years. Obama will have presided over two terms of economic disaster. It will ruin his legacy, and sow the seeds for a major Republican revival.

Republican revival? But the Republicans are going to get blamed, you say.

They will, in the short run. But in the end, it will be the president who failed to somehow make a deal. Presidents are ultimately responsible for their presidencies. The good ones tame their enemies, pick off some of them and make them allies, and get a good result. The bad ones go over fiscal cliffs.

***

Rep. Lee Terry, R-Nebraska, says it would be politically advantageous for President Obama if no deal on the fiscal cliff is met by the end of the year, calling the administration’s proposals to tame the nation’s debt “disingenuous.” …

If the U.S. economy goes over the cliff, Terry says, Obama could come back to Congress a couple months later with a bill to lower taxes on the middle class. The Republicans would feel pressure to vote in favor of it because the GOP supports lower taxes, he says.

“Many of us feared the president’s real plan was to let us go over the fiscal cliff and blame the Republicans,” Terry said. “That’s what it looks like we’re being set up to do.” …

Terry said the debt ceiling is “about the only level of leverage we have.”

***

If you don’t want that, you need to cut spending – like Harry Reid’s been doing. “Now remember, we’ve already done more than a billion dollars’ worth of cuts,” he bragged the other day. “So we need to get some credit for that.”

Wow! A billion dollars’ worth of cuts! Washington borrows $188 million every hour. So, if Reid took over five hours to negotiate those “cuts,” it was a complete waste of time. So are most of the “plans.” In fact, any “debt reduction plan” that doesn’t address at least $1.3 trillion a year is, in fact, a debt-increase plan.

So, given that the ruling party will not permit spending cuts, what should Republicans do? If I were John Boehner, I’d say: “Clearly there’s no mandate for small government in the election results. So, if you milquetoast pantywaist sad-sack excuses for the sorriest bunch of so-called Americans who ever lived want to vote for Swede-sized statism, it’s time to pony up.”

OK, he might want to focus-group it first. But that fundamental dishonesty is the heart of the crisis. You cannot simultaneously enjoy American-sized taxes and European-sized government. One or the other has to go.

***

The election is over, a new era begins—and it looks just like the old one. A crisis is declared. Confusion, frustration, and a more embittered process follow. This is . . . the Obama Way. Nothing has changed, even after a yearlong campaign that must, at times, have looked to him like a near-death experience. …

You watch and wonder: Why does it always have to be cliffs with this president? Why is it always a high-stakes battle? … Why is there never a sense with Mr. Obama that he understands the other guys’ real position?

It’s not as if Mr. Boehner and the Republicans wouldn’t deal. They’ve been weakened and they know it. A year ago they hoped winning the Senate and the presidency would break the stasis. They won neither. Mr. Obama not only was re-elected, it wasn’t that close, it was a clean win. If the president was clear about anything throughout the campaign, it was that he wanted to raise taxes on those he calls the rich. …

So they’re weakened, they want this particular crisis to end, and they badly need to win entitlement reforms that would, in the end, buttress the president’s historical standing—and the president isn’t working with them every day and making a deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

RWM! Great piece!! Good song to pick for it… :-)

Your blog rocks!! Cheers hon… will go back later and watch vids…

Scrumpy on December 2, 2012 at 2:26 AM

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Nice sound, I like that…

Scrumpy on December 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM

M2RB: Queen & David Bowie

Resist We Much on December 2, 2012 at 2:20 AM

*Have to stop halfway through the vid this time and go walk about. I’ve got to shake off the first half to watch the second. Damn.

(Insert stronger, more profane ejaculation here.)

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

*Fitna, not Bowie. :)

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Lol nice pick!! No lie, when me and my bff go out shopping she plays this at full blast in the car and we are cracking up!!

Perfect for HAL (sing daisy Hal)… lmao

Scrumpy on December 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM

He kind of accused me of being a fake strict Christian because I was laughing at that fake story about the PETA people protesting at a biker rally. One said he was duct taped to a tree and peed on all day. They were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs and then they got taped inside a fast food dumpster. Who would not laugh at that, that’s my question.

This is another one that crack’s me up:

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Didn’t risk watching it now for fear of nightmares!!

Seems my hunch was right!!

And this social intercourse has to come to a close too much profane ejaculation going on! ;-P

Good night all, and God Bless and thanks for the tunes and the fun and the serious stuff!!

See you all later today!!

Take care now… :-)

Sweet Dreams, if you can Axe!!

Scrumpy on December 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM

One more from JT!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Goodnight, Scrumpy!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I got it! Now I am outta here!!! Hugs all round!!

Goood Night!!!

Scrumpy on December 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM

nite scrump later gator

jrsrigmvr on December 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM

You might like the new one better.

Resist We Much on December 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I knew you and the Scrumpster would show up soon.

I foretold the occurrence on the night of a full moon when he mist was rising all damp and clammy. Most people will say its a big nothing burger to try to discredit my prophetic powers. Well they can all go pound sand.

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 2:50 AM

my parting shot

see y’all again some day soon

adios: vaya con dios

jrsrigmvr on December 2, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I like that idea. It just might work. (:

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM

And while there, check out the reviews on the David Hasselhoff c/d and $45 dollar a gallon Tuscan milk!!! I cannot stop laughing.

JPeterman on December 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tip about the Hasselhoff reviews – they are outstanding! Not to mention I saw I can get a new copy of that CD for the reasonable price of only $159.19!

Talking about great reviews – read some of them for these videos, both of which deserve consideration for the worst of the 80s, especially “What the Big Girls Do”

It’s hard to beat, “Van Stephenson was a hidden gem, in the Rock World. This is one of the better songs he released. I became so much of a fan of his, that I requested permission from his estate to cover one of his songs- “Modern Day Delilah”. My ’80s Tribute band, “OutaTime”, covers that song, and we may possibly do this song, as well. RIP, Van- hope we’re making you proud.”

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 2:58 AM

You might like the new one better.

Resist We Much on December 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Had I watched it first. :) Now I can’t watch it at all. Can’t do hot Muslim fornication (no matter what violence may come after the girl in the lace) after watching a man getting his head sawn off.

Bookmarked.

Honest, real-world walkabout.

brb

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:59 AM

jrsrigmvr on December 2, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Good night. Take care!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:03 AM

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Poor Spark. All those with the gift are envied by others. They will try to discredit you at every turn. You must stay strong and keep your Magic 8 Ball in a safe place.

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Just a reminder, your being watched!

MarshFox on December 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM

The following review for the Firefox add-on, “Murdoch Block” (ROFL@the inspired genius who came up with that!) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/murdoch-block/reviews/379132 is one of the funniest comments I’ve seen on the Internet.

KingZog: “I’ve just moved from China were the government helpfully protected me, my factory’s human trafficked staff, my family and my thirteen domestic servants from capitalist exploiter publications like those owned by Murdoch.

I asked around in the US for something like the software the Chinese government uses which I could install and everyone just stared at me blankly or said something stupid like “Why don’t you just not click on sites if you don’t like the owner?”. Which completely misses the point.

Now I have your extension I don’t need to worry about accidentally clicking on a link to a Bullingdon clique collaborationist news source. Still I think your block list is incomplete. You block all the running dog Murdoch Media and the arthritic old dog Daily Telegraph, but there are a lot of fascist reactionary insect sites out that there that still open normally.

I’d ideally like only the following counter Imperialist sites to work -

The People’s Daily in China

Juche Times in Korea, or as you call it, North Korea

The Blog of the President in Iran

Press TV in Iran (actually just let one through, your choice)

The Guardian in the UK. Though only columns by Seamus Milne and George Monbiot. No need to filter on content.

The Independent in the UK. Only Robert Fisk, except when he criticizes the current Syrian government who are fraternal brothers of China and Russia.

Russia Today in Russia, unless they mention Taiwan’s Imperialist Splittist pro so called Independence forces anywhere in the article as they occasionally do.

Like I say you’ve made a good start blocking the crypto neo feudalist exploiter class Daily Telegraph in the UK despite its non Murdoch ownership. But a lot of other bourgeois fascist reactionary sites still open. At this point I want to push this out to PC’s in my company and also install it on the machines at home, but it doesn’t do the job yet.”

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 3:11 AM

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM

They wants it. They wants my precious, those hobbitses

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM

They wants it. They wants my precious, those hobbitses

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Ha. Indeed they do, Spark. Guard it well…for ALL our sakes!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Sleepy.

Goodnight, all!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:22 AM

SparkPlug on December 2, 2012 at 2:50 AM

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM

People fear what they don’t understand. :(

And Spark is feared a lot.

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Goodnight, all!

4Grace on December 2, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Night Grace!

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Awright! … everyone else left . . . . . . now the thread is ALL mine.
I can’t think of anything to say . . . . . . . .
Dammit ! . . . . . (grumble, mope, pout)

listens2glenn on December 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Thanks for this, btw: \m/

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I like this song. Is there something wrong with me?

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM

This one too:

I’m over at YouTube if anyone needs me.

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Thanks for this, btw: \m/

Axe on December 2, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Y/w.

I tried to email that guy to congratulate him when I first saw it a few months ago, but you can’t do it. On a similar note, I saw your poem for Tina Korbe last week – it was very good, seriously! :)

\m/ I like these guys. You can hear the Led Zeppelin influence.

This sounds like Judas Priest – too bad he isn’t a stronger vocalist, because the song is great otherwise.

PS here is another Murdoch blocker for all who are interested: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/MurdochAlert-detail

lol those people are nuts!

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I meant Murdoch-related add-on, not blocker.

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I like this song. Is there something wrong with me?

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Maybe! (j/k)

Do you like this one, too? Da Da Da

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM

heh

right on right on right on

cmsinaz on December 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Geithner is saturating the Sunday squawk shows. Prepare to hear plenty of double talk and lies.

onlineanalyst on December 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM

do not gave gop elite…please

cmsinaz on December 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Maybe! (j/k)

Do you like this one, too? Da Da Da

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I’m going to have go with, uh, no, on that one- LOL! Although, if you think of it like a “B” movie that is so bad it’s good, then maybe.

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

onlineanalyst on December 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM

guaranteed…

where are the spending cuts timmy? he’ll come back, well the gop need to lay out their plan…I just wish the lsm would come back with, well the gop passed a budget for the last 3 years where spending cuts were laid out…how about the senate?
i know wishful thinking

the lsm will protect timmy

cmsinaz on December 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM

cmsinaz on December 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Isn’t it about 5am where you are? How is it you get those shows so early? None of mine come on till 10am.

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM

guaranteed…

I just wish the Republicans would drop a budget proposal that actually matters as opposed to posturing for the media coverage.

Let them pass a budget now, when people are paying attention.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Let them pass a budget now, when people are paying attention.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM

How can someone who’s party has not produced a budget in the Senate for the fourth year in a row, say such a thing with any seriousness at all? The joke budgets Obama puts up don’t even get any votes from democrats, ever. Who went to a toy factory for a photo op rather than stay in DC and work? You leftists are so dishonest.

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

So, you’re saying that the Republicans don;t need a counter-proposal and we should just work from the Obama blueprint? Or, you’re admitting that when push comes to shove, the Republicans have no confidence in their previous efforts? Because the House could pass a budget tomorrow, if they didn’t think it would subject them to ridicule.

In the mean time, for lack of alternative, I’ll take the Obama budget.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM

MTP at 7am and FNS and Georgie at 8am here

cmsinaz on December 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM

In the mean time, for lack of alternative, I’ll take the Obama budget.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hogwash.

And you can take the Obama budget . . . I’d tell you what you can do with it but I’d probably get booted off the board. The budget process is not by design an unorganized mud wrestling event but rather an orderly process started by the President, negotiated in conferences, voted on then sent to the President for approval. Since Obama has been in office it has devolved into a disorganized, idiotic jug screw.

rplat on December 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I don’t think it’s good even then! :)

Night Owl on December 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

People like urban elitist, who partisanly defend absolute budgetary obstructionists like 0dumba and Harry Reid, are not worth taking seriously.

If I were Boehner, the person holding the purse strings, I would tell 0dumba/Reid to get to work and put a credible offer on the table about their plans to not only balance the budget but to start paying down the debt as well, and that until such an offer was given, there would be nothing to negotiate.

It’s time for the Dems to act like adults, and stop kicking the can down the road.

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Hogwash.

rplat on December 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM

really? The President sets the pace for budget negotiations? Because every time I talk about Clinton balancing the budget, I get an earful about the heroism of the House Republicans.

You’re historical memory of the budget process bears very little resemblance to reality, btw.

If I were Boehner, the person holding the purse strings,

You would prove your seriousness by putting a counteroffer down, right?

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

What’s scary is that half the population, at least the high info ones, will eat up everything Timmy the tax cheat says and then write letters to their local papers trying to sound like the smartest citizen in the county.

Kissmygrits on December 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Obama will have presided over two terms of economic disaster. It will ruin his legacy…

Not necessarily. FDR ring a bell? Republicans: vote present, tell the American people what will happen when they vote for liberals, engage the MSM critters by name (who will blame you when the economy collapses) and tell them and the sheeple that we told you so, immediately educate folks at the local level on basic economics and Constitution, and then – hopefully – Obama and his pals will rightly get the blame and a soured legacy. If not, well, then it’s time for a third Party who can better articulate and play politics better to get out the message, using dumbed down language and catchy sound bytes, and confidently sticks to Conservative/libertarian principles no matter what the opposition says. L.I.B.

Decoski on December 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM

You would prove your seriousness by putting a counteroffer down, right?

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I already stated that you are not a serious person, as you continue to prove by making excuses for 0dumba’s and Reid’s apparent inability to produce a credible budget proposal which addresses our country’s fiscal problems.

You either didn’t read what I wrote, or you didn’t understand my point. So, again, why should Boehner give a counteroffer to a joke of a proposal that solves nothing? Until Reid and 0dumba understand on an adult level the leadership role they are supposed to be taking here, I’d tell them, “Sorry, D.O.A.! Try again!” every time they failed to produce something worth working on.

Childish, ludicrous insults from the likes of you don’t affect on someone like me. Hopefully, Boehner won’t be swayed by them either! :)

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM

affect on someone

Anti-Control on December 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

“Massive?” Puuuuuhlease! As compared to what? If I were prez for a day, I’d cut the Dept of Education and the EPA for starters. Fire all czars. Flat the tax to 10% FOREVER for everyone. Dump the IRS. And that’s just in the first 10 seconds.

racquetballer on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

You would prove your seriousness by putting a counteroffer down, right?

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

If I didn’t know what a totally dishonest Obama butt licker you are, I would remind you that the Republicans HAVE put forth serious creditable budgets every year of Obama’s tenure, and Harry Reid has refused to allow them to come to the Senate floor. But since I do know what a dishonest Obama butt licker you are, it would obviously be a complete and total waste of time.

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

racquetballer on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The problem with your solution is, that while it would produce incredible long term benefits, the short term blood letting is more than ANYONE in Congress has the testicular fortitude to even talk about in private.

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

racquetballer on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

As would I – for starters. It’s nice to dream isn’t it? Too bad the RINO establishment wouldn’t let a serious spending cutter into office.

Decoski on December 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

They did it when it was convenient to have a photo op. Now that it’s real, they got nothing.

This is because the Republicans have never been about policy and have always been about rhetoric.

Obama, as you may have noticed, has a budget. Boehner doesn’t.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Obama, as you may have noticed, has a budget. Boehner doesn’t.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it…

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it…

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I gave up crack years ago.

Let Boehner prove me wrong by dropping the Ryan budget as a counterproposal. Until then, he — and the GOP caucus — are whiny b**ches.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Obama, as you may have noticed, has a budget. Boehner doesn’t.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

The Dems have not passed a Budget since your messiah took office.

All they know how to do is spend.

kingsjester on December 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My messiah is Jerry Garcia, thank you.

I’m waiting for the GOP to prove me wrong. But they won’t. They’re not actually interested in the economy — that’s why deficits always rise when Republicans are in charge.

Now, when the economy is about to do a Thelma and Louise, there is one budget on the table. Hint: not Ryan’s.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I gave up crack years ago.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

You do understand that giving up crack means you actually quit smoking it, not just quit smoking it in-between tokes on the ole crack pipe, right???

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Please address the fact that your Democratically-controlled Congress and Administration has refused to pass a Budget for years, you hack.

kingsjester on December 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Bi-partisonship is for weanies; CUT taxes and reduce spending. Here’s a thought from a simpleton; Don’t spend more than you take in?

racquetballer on December 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM

racquetballer on December 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Harry Reid mode on: Burn the heretic… /

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Let them pass a budget now, when people are paying attention.

urban elitist dumbazz on December 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM

…you ARE the biggest!

KOOLAID2 on December 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

SWalker on December 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I gave up crack years ago.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

If you were a genuine addict, then kudos to you. That’s hard.

But it’s still not as hard as “fixing stupid”.

listens2glenn on December 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My messiah is Jerry Garcia, thank you.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Did Jerry resurrect after 72 hours? Is there an empty grave, and witnesses?
Setting that aside, Obama’s BAD budget can be said to be worse than no budget.

Voting for it makes the Republicans look complicit.

listens2glenn on December 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Voting for it makes the Republicans look complicit.

listens2glenn on December 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Let’s try that again . . . . .

Voting for it makes the Republicans look complicit.

That’s better. “Looks” aren’t as bad as reality.

listens2glenn on December 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Extend the Bush Tax Cuts? All we’ve heard the last four years is about Bush’s Tax Cuts for the rich and how they weren’t for the middle class. Now they are tax cuts for the middle class. Who the hell would believe anything Obama says?

Herb on December 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

My messiah is Jerry Garcia, thank you.

urban elitist on December 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM