Quotes of the day

posted at 8:09 pm on November 30, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

You’d better watch out, you’d better not cry?

Pushing his tax plan at a factory that makes K’NEX building toys, President Barack Obama warned lawmakers on Friday that he was keeping his own “naughty and nice list.”

“Santa delivers everywhere. I’ve been keeping my own naughty and nice list for Washington,” the president told K’NEX employees. “So you should keep your eye on who gets some K’NEX this year. There are going to be some members of Congress who get ‘em, and some who don’t.”

***

***

In an interview in his Capitol Hill office, Mr. McConnell (R., Ky.) said if the White House agrees to changes such as higher Medicare premiums for the wealthy, an increase in the Medicare eligibility age and a slowing of cost-of-living increases for programs like Social Security, Republicans would agree to include more tax revenue in the deal, though not from higher tax rates.

Those are the kinds of things that would get Republicans interested in new revenue,” Mr. McConnell said.

Mr. McConnell’s comments represent some of the clearest statements of principle from Republicans on the thorny issue of reining in the ballooning cost of the U.S.’s entitlement programs. They also offer a potential path forward in what have become a heated series of talks. …

Mr. McConnell offered his ideas as examples of the structural changes Republicans are looking for. “The nexus for us is: revenue equals genuine entitlement eligibility changes,” Mr. McConnell said. “Not another study. Not ‘Let’s do it 11 months from now.’ Now.”

***

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday announced Democrats would circulate a discharge petition to force a House vote to extend current tax rates only on annual household income below $250,000. …

Democrats would need the support of more than 20 Republicans to secure the 218 signatures needed to force the bill to the floor.

“We’re calling upon the Republican leadership in the House to bring this legislation to the floor next week,” Pelosi said Friday during a press briefing in the Capitol. “We believe that not doing that would be holding middle-income tax cuts hostage to tax cuts for the rich — tax cuts for the rich which do not create jobs, just increase the deficit, heaping mountains of debt on future generations.

“So to that end — if there’s no announcement of scheduling of the middle-income tax cut,” she added, “then on Tuesday we will be introducing a discharge petition.”

***

For now, however, Senate and House Republicans are playing it right. They have even got the mainstream media to notice how unreasonable Obama’s non-offer, offer is. …

In their own ways, Sen. Mitch McConnell and House Speaker John Boehner have handled the past couple of days rather expertly. McConnell’s reaction to Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner’s ludicrous proposal — laughter — was exactly right. It is a joke, and rather than railing at specific parts, a guffaw nicely communicates to voter how un-serious the president is at this point.

Likewise Boehner’s more-in-sadness-than-in-anger tone after his call with Obama keeps his party from becoming unhinged and keeps a respectful dialogue with the president. …

The GOP’s message this week to the Dems can be summed up in two words: Grow up. Only after the president has definitively shown that the Democrats prefer the politics of adolescence should the GOP begin passing out parachutes for the group jump over the cliff.

***

As they say in the NFL, “on further review,” I’ve decided that going over the “fiscal cliff” is a good idea.

And no, it’s not because I want to pay more in taxes. Nor am I a disgruntled Republican longing for revenge for the election. And I didn’t just win the Powerball jackpot, and I didn’t get an early bonus to avoid the coming tax increases.

No, it’s simpler than that: I just don’t want to have to listen to another month of posturing and pandering from politicians and pundits. …

So please, fellows, no more. Americans are a patient people, but we’ve just been through an endless presidential campaign. We did our job. We voted. Not it’s time for you to do yours.

It’s the holidays. All we wanted for Christmas was for you to stop talking and start legislating.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Really? That’s kind of cute. I guess he gets himself tired out. ;)

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM

lol — “tuckered out” fits better. I can’t shake the grin. Bald man, nerd dancing, grinning . . . brr

Bah. He’ll never read this.

Axe on December 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM

We mean it in a nice way. ;)

Ed does have a lovely wife and after seeing an almost bald coworker with a most repulsive comb-over daily, I have to give Ed major props for owning his baldness.

Now I’ll have to make a point to watch his videos for nerd dancing!

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM

That Black Crowes music vid has me nice & mellloowwwww.

Goodnight, gang!

4Grace on December 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Going to go pull half a sheet of red oak plywood out of the attic while the Christmas Decoration boxes aren’t on it — going to go pray that doing that doesn’t start WW3 — going to go brush the cat so he’ll feel normal and relax — going to go splash water on me even though, technically, it isn’t even Saturday night — and going to go eat ’cause I think I forgot to eat again.

*yawn*

Also going to go write some notes for a short story inspired by Canopfor and Cicadas . . . pointless, I know, but sometimes I like to pretend.

All that explanation is to excuse my leaving the east gate unprotected. Warning: someone needs to patrol the east gate for zombies.

Later guys.

Now I’ll have to make a point to watch his videos for nerd dancing!

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I think it’s the serene contentment that does it. Prepare to see a comfortable man. :)

*poof*

Axe on December 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Pelosi said a tax cut for the middle class? WE WERE TOLD THESE BUSH TAX CUTS WERE ONLY FOR THE RICH over the past 12 years. WTF.

Obowma lied, your taxes go sky high.

dthorny on December 1, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Moral dilemma: It’s over as of today – I’m going to have to bankrupt my company, probably Chapt 7. Already stopped making house payments, attorney going for loan mod, may have to short sell if not approved. I have some ideas for my next venture but it’s going to take some time to get rolling.

I’m soooooo tempted to file for every g*damn federal benefit I can get my hands on – unemployment, disability, job training, grants, every damn thing I can get my guilty white hands on. I’m of the “Let it Burn” school of thought, and don’t mind pouring some gasoline on it, but don’t even know where to start applying for all that crap. I’m a 56-year old white guy, so there are not a lot of “job prospects” out there for someone who’s white, male, and been self-employed his entire life.

So, should I tough it out, start my new venture in the “new normal” obama economy, or pour gas on the fire, and make getting federal bennies my new “job” till it all burns down?

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

O_o

Wouldn’t know the first place to start and would be so uncomfortable giving any kind of advice because these are heavy decisions and you have no idea who I am.

A couple of things to maybe think about:
1. Is there any chance to salvage anything with the business? If so, it would be a shame to let it go without a fight after all the time and effort. If there is no chance and it’s going boobies up, then get what you can, I guess.

2. You have been a taxpayer for many years and imho there’s nothing wrong with exercising usage of the social safety net you’ve been paying into for years. It’s a net, but many people have turned it into a lifestyle. Or, if you prefer, look at it as an insurance policy that you finally need to use.

Just a few things to think about – sometimes I find talking to different people is nice as they sometimes say things I’ve never considered or wouldn’t have otherwise.

Good luck with your decision. What a terrible thing to have to go thru/decide.

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Good luck and best wishes.

SparkPlug on December 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Our President is in his Chicago politics mode. Congress needs to clip his flight feathers and let him know he is not a king.

mixplix on December 1, 2012 at 4:12 AM

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Well, I’m thinking along the same lines – I’ve been paying in for a long time, not just for myself but for countless employees for 30+ years. Part of it is all about just “getting some of my money back”, and that’s how I sorta justify going on the dole for a while, but I still have a moral dilemma with that. Maybe pride?

But I am angry as hell about what the obama economy has done to my business (as well as the millions of other companies who used to employ my customer base), hence the part of me that wants to burn it all down now. What’s happened to the economy is not the fault of small business owners and it’s not “poor management” as some troll *ssholes around here want to imply. When we have 25million+ unemployed largely due to Obama’s federal policies, the customer base for many small businesses is decimated, all but destroyed. Nobody right now can spend much money beyond ‘necessities’ – all due to obama policies, and it’s killing small business nationwide.

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 4:17 AM

THE ONE! THE WON! THE JUAN IS ON FIYA!

WE DON’T NEED NO WATA LET DA ************ BURN!!

BURN, ************, BURN!!!!!

cane_loader on December 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM

December Oneth!

Go pay your rent/mortgage then write your congresscritter your thoughts for the day.

Limerick on December 1, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Sorry to hear all of that, our prayers are with you.

One of the first things I’d do, if it hasn’t occurred to you yet, and if you’re interested, is spend a few hours sending emails to various folks; this Crowder fella, Bill Whittle, the HA guys, Mark Levin, Limbaugh, the Reason mag guys, etc – the list goes on – everyone who would truly be interested not only in hearing your story, but re-telling it, if not making a doco-commoercial about it a-la the bit on the oyster cannery that MKH did, or the guy in PA whose engineering company is on the brink, etc. Even if nothing comes of it directly, people have to begin to see these stories on a broader, personalized basis., and every f-ing day.

Good luck, pray for the right answers, bud. Keep us posted.

Midas on December 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I call complete and total BS

there is no Fiscal Cliff…maybe a Fiscal *bump in the road* but that’s good. The only reason Pols want a deal is to keep spending at unsustainable rates. Phuck ‘em. let. it. burn.

Slade73 on December 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Just more “drama” from the Panties in a wad politicians in DC.

They are just GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDY and want more money to spend.

PappyD61 on December 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

6 pages of comments? Now that’s the QOTD I’m used to! :)

22044 on December 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Mark steyn’s latest.

esr1951 on December 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

We are so screwed because………
The lying dishonest Democrites are irresponsible in nature, They will own NOTHING.

Repeat: The media will never allow them to own the blame- for ANYTHING.

Republicans WILL BE BLAMED FOR ANY AND ALL ILLS – Regardless of any deal outcome- and those who think otherwise are naive.

Reality Detachment Syndrome.

Wise up- and let’s go cliff diving.

FlaMurph on December 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

FlaMurph on December 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Mark steyn’s latest.

esr1951 on December 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Another good article from him. I wish people who were born here actually understood what they are throwing away.

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM

O/T: Nr. and Mrs. Jones, meet Abdullah the Butcher. My take.

kingsjester on December 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My apologies again for the confusion over the ban. I at first just was just going to demonstrate how by simply copying and pasting what Adjoran had done, made it look like a ban. I had intended to actually make another comment as to exactly that. For one reason or another I never did. I am very sorry to any of you I upset. I love you all very much. I would never do anything with the intent to harm you. You are like family to me. Take care of and soak up all you can with your families this season. Really enjoy and treasure them as if they were not going to be around anymore. I hope to see you all next year.
Yours Bmore.

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

O/T: Nr. and Mrs. Jones, meet Abdullah the Butcher. My take.

kingsjester on December 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM

That is a lovely story. It’s so nice that Obama has the money to just buy a prison to help out his home state. It’s so nice that he is not constrained by Congress, and that Holder is his personal Real Estate attorney. Since Congress just voted again not to allow Gitmo detainees to be brought here, I wonder what Obama plans to use this prison for?

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

He can veto them and do it anyway.

kingsjester on December 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

I’m with kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM….safety net programs are intended for those exactly like you. Use them. There is no moral dilemma to even consider. You need some help right now to give yourself time to think and regroup. Find every program you qualify for and utilize it. You have more than earned it.

Many prayers are with you and yours.

lynncgb on December 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

6 pages of comments? Now that’s the QOTD I’m used to! :)

22044 on December 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I hate I missed it..:)

PS..Hope I can still keep using the “smilies”..:)

Dire Straits on December 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I hope to see you all next year.
Yours Bmore.

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

May your troubles be fleeting. Come back soon….I would love to see “the list”, and use it as well.

lynncgb on December 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I’ve tried posting this several times but for some reasons it’s not working. So I’m getting rid of my links but they can be found easily. If this ends up posting 16 times please forgive me….

NEWT!

El_Terrible on November 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Well, I got Newt’s newsletter thingy today and he says there really is no fiscal cliff. It’s all just a scam. Theater meant to pressure the Republicans into giving up more and giving over more to the democrats.

You know, I was just thinking… we’ve been having perpetual crisis ever since the 2008 election when McCain had to suspend his campaign and Bush held a press conference about the financial crisis that was going to destroy us all and bring down America if government didn’t act “Now Now Now!” We had to pass emergency legislation and to protect the banks who were too big to fail “Now Now Now!”
As I remember…. that Now Now Now stuff drifted on for a few weeks and nothing much was changing. The sky didn’t fall. The birds didn’t die. But the “emergency bill” passed and how did that work out?

Now.. ever few months or so we’ve got to again do something “Now Now Now!” Seems like it’s becoming a good gig.

So here are some links to past stories of where Boehner was going to hold the line on tax cuts and go hard on spending cuts and yet… what did he actually do? We’ve seen this movie so many times and yet they keep playing it like it’s brand new.
He and McConnell are as much responsible for bringing us to this place as the Democrats are. How many times are we going to face an impending financial disaster until people get a clue we are all being played.

“Boehner Offers Red Meat on Debt Ceiling” 2011. CNN Money

House Speaker John Boehner indicated Monday that he plans to hold a hard line in debt-ceiling negotiations.

“Boehner Warns GOP on Debt Ceiling” 2010 Washington Wire

Raising the debt ceiling is shaping up as a difficult early vote for the new House GOP majority. Many of the new Republican lawmakers harshly criticized their Democratic opponents during the campaign for voting to raise the limit in the past, citing it as an example of the Democrats’ recklessness with federal tax dollars. …
If an increase in the current debt limit of $14.3 trillion does not pass, it would suggest the country may not meet its obligations and would shake the financial system

Why are these talks in secret? Why haven’t the Republicans talked publicly about all the wasteful spending that could be cut? It’s not hard to find. Anybody with internet access can find lists of programs that are meaningless and wasteful and yet zero zip from the GOP.

Each of these times and others, have the Republicans done anything they said they were going to do? Any resistance now they have publicly to the Dem’s plan is just theater. Theater for us so it looks like they’re trying to do something but what they will do, unless they buck their own history, is whatever Obama wants.

The “Crisis! Crisis! Crisis!” thing is getting real old. But it’s been working so well since 2008 they are not going to let it die.

JellyToast on December 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

JellyToast on December 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Whatever anyone says about Newt, I believe he loves this country and I am grateful that he is willing to continue speaking out.

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Best wishes Bmore. You’ll be missed here!

22044 on December 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Oh dang! And I fell asleep early. Great thread.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

…I’m late….but good luck brother…know it hasn’t been easy these last few years!

KOOLAID2 on December 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Good luck friend!!..Hope you are back soon..:)

Dire Straits on December 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yours Bmore.

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

…if you get a chance Bmore…leave us the ‘list’…or just post it one night on a hit ‘n run…so, we can get a start…until we see you again!
Peace…!!!

KOOLAID2 on December 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

You are getting to be as cryptic as Schadenfreude! I hope everything works out for you.

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yours Bmore.

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

( s i g h ) … : (

Keep in touch when you can. We’ll leave the light on for you.

listens2glenn on December 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

JellyToast on December 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I really wish this were trumpeted to the heavens as to what the Dems are really trying to accomplish, namely what Rush has alluded to, and that’s to obliterate the Republicans as a party. The Dems want to be the only party and they want to be able to say they destroyed the GOP, that they made them stomp on whatever principles they thought they had.

They’re well on their way and I can’t make up my mind whether anyone in the GOP is even aware of this, or if they are, why they are meekly going along with it. As no one in the GOP seems to be fighting back, I can only conclude that they must want what the Dems want.

I can’t believe, though, that there’s no one in the GOP who isn’t trying to counter this. If it were me, I would be trying.I’m not the roll-over-and-die type. Surely there’s one person quietly planning and trying to find their way out of this. It has to be looked at as an almost-underground resistance now.

PatriotGal2257 on December 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Bmore on December 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Be well, friend, and hope to see you soon.

PatriotGal2257 on December 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

All my best to you, Harbingeing. Stay strong and stay well.

PatriotGal2257 on December 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Night Owl on December 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Gee, what do you wish to know?

Schadenfreude on December 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

PatriotGal2257 on December 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Take a look at my post on this thread here:

bluefox on November 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

At least some of the GOP (70 signed this letter) are taking some action. Also a separate letter from Brent Bozell is quite to the point! It’s all in my post I linked to.

bluefox on December 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Are you saying that Ed is an old fogey by being asleep at 9:30 ish (EST) on a Friday?

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

None of our business what he does, when…but he is not monitoring HA threads at that time. He’s the first shift chieftain.

Schadenfreude on December 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

bluefox on December 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Correction to my previous post..I should have said 70 Conservatives signed the letter. Didn’t mean to say GOP, but some may have. I received an email from Jim DeMint’s Conservative Fund.

bluefox on December 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Harbingeing on December 1, 2012 at 4:17 AM

What I always say to long time payers of social safety nets who come across hard times: Look upon it as an insurance policy. You’ve paid and now you need to use it. There is nothing shameful about using the insurance you’ve paid into.

Yes, of course you are angry. I don’t blame you one bit. You (and others) work(ed) very hard and some clown comes and promises stupid people freebies. It shouldn’t work this way. History tells us it never does in the long run. I honestly am so very sorry that this is happening to you and a lot of people.

Do what you can to take care of you and yours and if you get opportunities again in the future don’t shy away. Sometimes things are out of our control. Do hang out here – this is a good group and while it’s the internet, there’s good support and commiseration.

I’m starting to wonder if people like angryed (where ever you are) were right – that we have to hit bottom. I had hoped it could be salvaged before then.

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Schadenfreude on December 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

After I posted that I wondered if I should have put a smiley or sarc behind it. Just trying to be amusing. Sorry for the vagueness.

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

No need to ever worry with me, good one.

Schadenfreude on December 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

No need to ever worry with me, good one.

Schadenfreude on December 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

No, of course not… :) I just should be more careful what with moods being what they are right now. People are worried and preoccupied.

kim roy on December 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM