Bust: California named worst-run state in the nation

posted at 4:21 pm on November 29, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

First the best-run, according to Wall Street 24/7′s annual ranking: North Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Utah, with Iowa rounding out the Top 5.

They have in common low amounts of debt per capita, low unemployment rates, business-friendly tax structures, and several of them are home to hydraulic fracturing and other energy booms. There’s also a high correlation between a well-run state and a high percentage of residents with high-school diplomas. And one more thing. What is it? Ah, yes, they all have Republican governors. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence. What does a governor have to do with running a state’s affairs, after all?

The worst-run: California, Rhode Island, Illinois, Arizona and New Jersey, making the bottom five home to two Democratic governors, two Republicans, and one Lincoln Chafee.

Let’s hear just why California is at the bottom of the heap:

> Debt per capita: $4,008 (18th highest)
> Budget deficit: 20.7% (17th largest)
> Unemployment: 11.7% (2nd highest)
> Median household income: $57,287 (10th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 16.6% (18th highest)

California is 24/7 Wall St.’s “Worst Run State” for the second year in a row. Due to high levels of debt, the state’s S&P credit rating is the worst of all states, while its Moody’s credit rating is the second-worst. Much of California’s fiscal woes involve the economic downturn. Home prices plunged by 33.6% between 2006 and 2011, worse than all states except for three. The state’s foreclosure rate and unemployment rate were the third- and second-highest in the country, respectively. But efforts to get finances on track are moving forward. State voters passed a ballot initiative to raise sales taxes as well as income taxes for people who make at least $250,000 a year. While median income is the 10th-highest in the country, the state also has one of the highest tax burdens on income. According to the Tax Foundation, the state also has the third-worst business tax climate in the country.

Despite its sunny shores and mountain heights, glorious vineyards and gloriouser weather, Hollywood and Silicon Valley, the Golden state has become—how you say?— kind of a crapfest. Since California’s is the righteous path our liberal betters so long for us to take as a nation, let’s do check in and see how it’s working out for them.

The state passed a ballot amendment hiking taxes on the rich in November. California already had the most progressive state tax system in the nation and has been deficit spending out the wazoo throughout the recession. By my Keynesian calculations, the California economy should be booming, its unemployment rate low, its deficit and debt problems solved, and all of its “investments” should be yielding great results for those in need and in public schools.

California’s new “temporary” tax hike on the wealthy is expected to bring in $6 billion a year, according to the LA Times (estimates vary slightly). What is California’s debt?

The task force estimated that the burden of debt totaled at least $167 billion and as much as $335 billion. Its members warned that the off-the-books debts tended to grow over time, so that even if Mr. Brown should succeed in pushing through his tax increase, gaining an additional $50 billion over the next seven years, the wall of debt would still be there, casting its shadow over the state.

Yes, I should say so. California has already pledged the equivalent of the entire tax hike and more to a high-speed train boondoggle. Proponents of tax increases will brag that this hike has come close to fixing California’s annual deficit, but let’s see how much California spends on debt service alone, to get an idea of how far this $6 billion a year will go. The 2012-2013 California state budget projection:

General Fund debt service expenditures will increase by a net of $24.6 million (0.46 percent), to a total of $5.4 billion, as compared to the revised current year estimate…

While General Fund debt service is estimated to increase only slightly in the budget year, General Fund debt service has been a fast‐growing area of the Budget. In 2002‐03 General Fund debt service was $2.1 billion, or 2.9 percent of revenues, versus $5.4 billion, or 5.6 percent of estimated revenues, in 2012‐13. This trend is expected to continue through the end of this decade, with debt service projected to peak at $7.5 billion in 2019‐20

It should also be noted, the promise of maybe closing this year’s deficit is predicated on whether “lawmakers can resist more spending and the economy continues to improve.” I present to you, a supermajority Democratic legislature. Also, this delicious paragraph from the L.A. Times:

The election wasn’t even over Tuesday when state Treasurer Bill Lockyer’s phone started ringing. Activists of all stripes had the same message for him: With voters apparently poised to approve billions of dollars in tax hikes, it was time to spend more money.

“They had to be reminded the money has already been spent,” Lockyer said.

As for the economy, California has the second-highest unemployment rate in the nation, well above 10 percent. Texas— bizarro California, being close in size and population and nearly opposite in political disposition— is a little over 6 percent. As Conn Carroll noted in the Washington Examiner:

There are fewer private-sector jobs in the state (California) today, 11.9 million, then there were in 2000, 12.2 million.

And thanks to liberal welfare requirements, a third of all the nation’s welfare recipients live in California despite the state only containing one-eighth of the national population.

Contrast those numbers with Republican-controlled Texas, where private-sector jobs have grown from 7.8 million in 2000 to 9 million today.

Carroll also notes California poverty is high as is that most important of liberal priorities— income inequality (higher than in Texas)—while test scores remain low:

Meanwhile, California eighth-graders finished ahead of only Mississippi and District of Columbia students on reading and math test scores in 2011.

Texas, on the other hand, showed test scores for eight-graders above California and often above the national average across its white, black, and Hispanic populations in mathematics, reading, and science.

Maybe that’s why everyone’s leaving California, according to a Manhattan Institute study:

Since 1990, domestic migration to California has flipped to a deficit. In the last two decades, the state lost nearly 3.4 million residents through migration to other states. In other words, it lost about four-fifths of what it had gained through domestic migration in the previous 30 years. Foreign immigration filled the gap only partially. Inflows from overseas peaked at 291,191 in 2002 and sank to just 164,445 in 2011. Meanwhile, net domestic out-migration has averaged 225,000 a year over the past ten years.

Which are we going to be? California or Texas?

Don’t blame me. I voted for him.

Lex Luthor

Breaking on Hot Air

Blowback

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

Trackbacks/Pings

Trackback URL

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

California is circling the drain because of term limits? Moonbeam is an amateur? What a joke. California is beyond hope because of liberal policy, uncontrolled, greedy unions, schools ran by libs, and harmful tax policies. It’s as simple as that.

kam582 on November 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

OK, one last thing. Several above have mentioned the likelihood of a stealth bailout of CA and other ruined states by the Fed, behind the scenes. It’s already happening, to some extent. And it’s already happening via various mortgage “assistance” programs, too – which are carefully structured to give maximum aid to places with the particular problems of CA counties and cities.

It’s useful for people to focus on this issue. The Fed, by jumping the rails and going pretty much rogue, has the potential to cause almost unlimited long-term damage. Bailing out incompetent states and their cretinous electorates, as discussed here. But it goes way beyond that. A friend spoke to a semi-retired very wealthy financial trader (who happens to live in LA) yesterday – this guy has often asked my friend for his take on political or foreign policy matters. Anyway the guy volunteered that largely due to the Fed and other central bank action world-wide, he no longer even knows what he’s looking at in “the markets”. He doesn’t even try to trade any more, and says if hadn’t made his bundle back when actual economic reality drove financial markets, he doesn’t know how he’d do it now.

This is truly scary. And not just scary from a lunatic Zero Hedge comments-section perspective. Truly scary.

IceCold on November 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Shocka! A liberal wasteland run into the ground by waste despite the fact that it taxes its stupid residents to death. And then they vote for MORE taxes. I am begging all conservatives to leave California (with your money) and move to TX or another more habitable place.

Let the liberals go down with their sinking ship. Burn, baby, burn.

Philly on November 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM

kam582 on November 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

ND, Chuck? Whereabouts?

gravityman on November 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Nope, Los Angeles for past 38 years. It’s just nice to get some recognition.

I’ll leave it to ernesto to explain why it’s anything besides decades worth of unfettered liberalism reaching its inevitable conclusion.

Chuck Schick on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

So you’re agains’t illegal immigration?

Kungfoochimp on November 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM

If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

4 of the 5 worst run states are blue, and include tiny Rhode Island.

Keep trying, it’s funny.

Chuck Schick on November 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM

So in Iowa, where I have lived for 40 years, the only thing saving us is our low population. Yeah, that’s right. Wait, I thought it was our lack of term limits. Whatever pal. Just keep telling yourself that the progressive policies have nothing to do with Californias demise. I will grant you one point, there is no reason to have a discussion.

kam582 on November 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

If that’s the case there are several countries in Europe and around the world that should be considered apocalyptic hell holes to be avoided at all costs.

Your logic is sound. Live long and propser ernesto. I shall recommend you to the Vulcan leadership as an example of evolved earth logic. ///////

darwin on November 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well runrepublican states simply has many fewerpeople per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

A person. isn’t born this stupid, it has to be achieved over time , through great effort and diligence. And when it comes to “economies of scale”, the wealth of ignorance of the many, while best safeguarded by entrenched bureaucracy, is redistributed most easily to the willfully ignorant individual.

M240H on November 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM

If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Busting at the seams with hand wringing imbeciles lining up to enable the looter class to bleed them dry…

But of course you know all about that…

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Then why do you mention it at all, aiming for a fight if not a simple discussion?

You discount those states you don’t like, making an excuse.

Get real if that’s within your scope and capability. What you’re saying without intending is that states with higher populations of Democrats are financially and fiscally nuking themselves, while so-called red states are prospering.

Is the overall population the determining factor here, or is that prosperity the result of having fewer liberals in power?

Liam on November 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Ernesto: Add in to my previous comment this quote.

Busting at the seams with hand wringing imbeciles lining up to enable the looter class to bleed them dry…

But of course you know all about that…

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

You know, ernesto…liberals like you are the precise reason not everyone embraces liberalism. That’s why you and your kind need the point of a gun to win your imagined Utopia.

More, far as you go, of yourself, not one iota of your passion is able to persuade. You’re just another failure on your own side.

Pfft!

Liam on November 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I’ll leave it to ernesto to explain why it’s anything besides decades worth of unfettered liberalism reaching its inevitable conclusion.

Chuck Schick on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

once again I check in and see that I have nothing to add…

teejk on November 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

BS, CA is a real time working model of liberal policy in action. Spend and tax, diversity, affirmative action, crushing regulation, union controlled public sector, environmental regulations, out of control liberal judges, pathetic school curriculum. All this and more.

Everything you libs asked for you got. It may hurt to look in the mirror and admit you’ve been wrong about everything but you can’t deny the fact that your ideology has been a proven failure to those of us who are living it. So man up and take responsibility for once in your pathetic life.

antipc on November 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

BS, CA is a real time working model of liberal policy in action. Spend and tax, diversity, affirmative action, crushing regulation, union controlled public sector, environmental regulations, out of control liberal judges, pathetic school curriculum. All this and more.

antipc on November 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

And you know what really sucks about that??? After it turns to $hit, they move to other states and start the whole thing over again….

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

No sh!t. Got any room for a misfit Californian somewhere around Cody? :)

antipc on November 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

No sh!t. Got any room for a misfit Californian somewhere around Cody? :)

antipc on November 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Well, ya get up around the Northwest part of the state…Jackson Hole, etc…Too late..the vermin have taken over already..and

I have an uncle that has lived in California for the last 40 years…He just threw up his hands a long time ago..he’d probably leave if he wasn’t 900 years old…so I’m not ripping all the people from ‘locust states’ and

I’ve actually been kinda TDY in Minnesota for the last 12 years…

Sorry…I’m living a lie.

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Is this really news? It’s called the “Left Coast” for a reason. The golden geese are leaving in droves and every once in a while we read where some village manager makes 5 or 6 hundred thousand as a salary. The State is running out of money very fast and the non believers are still celebrating and partying big time. Let’s see who they blame for the crash.

mixplix on November 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM

And you know what really sucks about that??? After it turns to $hit, they move to other states and start the whole thing over again….

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Bingo! Arizona is seeing far too many of the kooks coming in and bringing their liberal ideology with them. The host has died, and now the virus is spreading to other healthy bodies.

Hill60 on November 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Y’all in the good states get your boot-heel on the California immigrants. Don’t let ‘em change you. There are plenty of us upside-down mortgage-teers in Cali looking for the chance to skedaddle. When I get there, I want the great states to still be great.

J.E. Dyer on November 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Let’s see who they blame for the crash.

mixplix on November 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I don’t think there’s gonna be a crash…OZero will bail them out.

BigWyo on November 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM

J.E. Dyer on November 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM

We’re trying J.E…. we’re trying!

Hill60 on November 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Oh ernesto, come on. TX is 13th on that well-run list vs CA at 50th, and several of the top ten cities are in TX. Even little Austin is now the 14th largest US city–partly because of all the Californians who’ve moved there. TX is also a border state like CA. And Houston is now the US’s most ethnically diverse large city.

juliesa on November 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM

stefanite on November 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Now why in the world would I want to become a Democrat? That would make absolutely zero sense. So what would you suggest we do?…Follow the Republican Party blindly into Socialism like good little establishment Republicans?

You better wake up and stop placing hope into this dinosaur Party. They have lost their way! They will continue to betray you and this country the same way the Democrats have betrayed this country! Need proof?….Just watch the way they betray you in this “fiscal cliff” B.S. Do you really think they are going to stick to conservative principles and not vote for tax increases? NEWS FLASH!!!! They will betray us and vote to raise taxes….and after they do; people like YOU will STILL continue to support them simply because they are “Republicans”….now that’s sad!

dom89031 on November 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

After the 1960 Census, CA was gerrymandered and the Democrats have had control of the State Assembly and the State Senate… There is an occasional Republican Governor, but basically the Dems have had control of the purse strings and policy since 1962…

Blame them, because it is their fault… and we spend BILLIONS on illegal aliens, making our financial situation worse by the day…

Khun Joe on November 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I voted with my feet. I started my j-o-b in Austin on Monday. A coworker came very close top getting schooled today. “Texas isn’t very progressive.” he says… I left it alone. No need to go there just yet. I’ll get my work reputation solid then get into it.

Theworldisnotenough on November 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You are so full of it, it is coming out of your ears. You have to resort to population on a per square mile basis to defend California. That is just pitiful, pitiful! Facts starting you in the face you have to make up total and complete BS to defend the failure that is California…

I was born and raised in San Diego and returned from Ohio in 2006. The place is un-liveable. Ironically I went to an interview in El Segundo for Time Warner Cable and the interviewer mentioned he had two managers that were married and moving to Austin for a better life, the hour each way in traffic finally made them leave. That job paid $22,000 more per year than I make in Austin, I am glad I did not get the job. I still could not afford a house in a neighborhood that I would want to send my kids to school in… There is a reason Los Angeles has the lowest percentage of middle class and San Francisco is becoming devoid of families, the state is run by incompetent louts. Fortunately Californians will get the government they deserve, have fun Ernesto!

Theworldisnotenough on November 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Californians are getting the State they asked for, they’re just going to find it’s not the State they want.

Over50 on November 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I voted with my feet. I started my j-o-b in Austin on Monday. A coworker came very close top getting schooled today. “Texas isn’t very progressive.” he says… I left it alone. No need to go there just yet. I’ll get my work reputation solid then get into it.

Theworldisnotenough on November 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

We had a Stanford commie at my Dallas job. She didn’t last long.

Kungfoochimp on November 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

California also wins these contests because of term limits. States are run poorly when they are run by amateurs, especially big states with large urban populations requiring massive infrastructure.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Boy isn’t very intelligent, is he?

If ernesto actually lived in California, he might recognize that all that happens is one giant game of musical chairs, where the Obama Party politicians simply hopscotch from office to office and then drop onto one of California’s hundreds of “boards” where they receive six-figure salaries for meeting two days a month.

Obama Boy Ernesto is not mentally capable of recognizing this. This is ALL Obama Party. The Obama Party created this mess. The Obama Party gorges itself on taxpayer dollars. The Obama Party is nothing but a bunch of moochers and looters.

northdallasthirty on November 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I was born in Jersey and have no desire to live there.

There’s something telling about a state that prohibits its own citizens from pumping gas themselves into their own cars.

Kingfisher on November 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You’d hate Oregon then.

Then again, so do I. It’s why I never come within five miles of the western border.

Dunedainn on November 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We had a Stanford commie at my Dallas job. She didn’t last long.

Kungfoochimp on November 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Wait…Valerie Jarrett was working in Dallas?

My collie says:

What? You mean running 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue wasn’t “enough”?

CyberCipher on November 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Greetings from Utah. Where your statement is just complete crap. The fact is the population is bursting especially when you realize that most of the State is locked up as Fed land (don’t even try to use those millions of acres in your people/sq mile calculation).

Maybe you should figure out what the Wasatch Front is and realize the place has gone gangbusters with population growth and is “bursting at the seams” when the vast majority of the population is hemmed in a valley.

Furthermore, just as there are logistic etc challenges with a high density population, there are also serious logistic challenges with a highly spread out population.

batter on November 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

OK, OK — how about:

California: The Soviet State

Better, yes? :-)

Punchenko on November 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Whenever I’m asked at the border checkpoints on 5 or 15 (doesn’t happen very often anymore) where I live, I always reply “People’s Democratic Republic of California”. I’ve gotten reactions from a smile to the sourest of frowns.

BillH on November 30, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Tonight, at the poker game, I met a guy who just moved from California to Houston. I welcomed him to Texas. I meet a lot of these people these days. I always want to shake these guys and say “Don’t bring your liberal attitudes and government with you. You screwed up your state, now don’t screw up ours.” But generally I don’t.

Theophile on November 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Dang!

I was just going to move there.

Stepan on November 30, 2012 at 5:19 AM

I-L-L-E-G-A-L A-L-I-E-N-S

stenwin77 on November 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I-L-L-E-G-A-L A-L-I-E-N-S

stenwin77 on November 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

The brilliant, solvent, peaceful, and prosperous DEMOCRAT state of Illinois is going to vote to give illegal aliens drivers liscences….

…and with the unconstitutional and criminally stupid MOTOR VOTER LAW, they will all be able to elect more democrats.

May they all burn eternally in a sulfur pit.

tom daschle concerned on November 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM

kam582 on November 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Gee, did you ever consider that it’s busting (and busted) at the seams with people because of all that free giveaway they can’t afford?

Don L on November 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Don’t know if the lake of fire is fueled by sulfur or not but either way works.
Driving into Calif is like going into a foreign country if you’re camping. You have to go thru an inspection station where they ask if you have any fresh fruit or firewood. We had to give up our cherries from Washington and a couple of pieces of firewood that looked funny to the inspectors, yet were allowed to keep the blackberries. No passports required, at least not yet.

Kissmygrits on November 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Don’t know if the lake of fire is fueled by sulfur or not but either way works.
Driving into Calif is like going into a foreign country if you’re camping. You have to go thru an inspection station where they ask if you have any fresh fruit or firewood. We had to give up our cherries from Washington and a couple of pieces of firewood that looked funny to the inspectors, yet were allowed to keep the blackberries. No passports required, at least not yet.

Kissmygrits on November 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

My father took us on many cross country vacations in the family station wagon. California was the only state in the lower 48 that had the most negative impression on me. I rememberer a few checkpoints where the wagon was searched and goods were seized.

F CA.

tom daschle concerned on November 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I voted with my feet. I started my j-o-b in Austin on Monday. A coworker came very close top getting schooled today. “Texas isn’t very progressive.” he says… I left it alone. No need to go there just yet. I’ll get my work reputation solid then get into it.

Theworldisnotenough on November 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

As the center of state government and home of the University of Texas, you’d be amazed at how many people the Austin area attracts who can actually look at California in 2012 and think “Damn, I wish Texas was more like California!

Or if they’re liberals full of hubris, think “California just didn’t do it right. We would know how to make big government work.” Those types have been in the state for years and years — LBJ, Bill Moyers and Dan Rather are from Texas, after all — but at least for now, their ideological experiments are limited to the Austin and Travis County areas. But the same types are making inroads in the Dallas and Houston inner city metro areas, as more people move to the state and bring their ideologies with them (and what success Austin and a few other pockets have had basically comes from relying on the economic engine created by the success of the rest of the state’s voters).

jon1979 on November 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I met someone who runs a home-removals business and he’s longer accepting moves from California because there are just too many people trying to leave and there are not enough trucks.

The wealthy liberals of California will keep going with their absurd projects (stem cell, low-speed train to nowhere, carbon tax, etc) until it starts to hurt them personally. They haven’t reached rock-bottom yet. They are still fat, dumb and liberal.

Major cities will need to go into bankruptcy before the poisonous pension deals they all made can be unraveled. Public unions are all on the take and funding their democratic pawns in Sacramento.

Gay marriage or open-borders will not save them.

virgo on November 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

You have to go thru an inspection station where they ask if you have any fresh fruit or firewood.

Kissmygrits on November 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Old news, it happened to me when I drove there in 1967 and it had been going on a long time even then. It has to do with discouraging Okies, preventing crop diseases, and maybe just officiousness but it’s nothing new.

PersonFromPorlock on November 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The election wasn’t even over Tuesday when state Treasurer Bill Lockyer’s phone started ringing. Activists of all stripes had the same message for him: With voters apparently poised to approve billions of dollars in tax hikes, it was time to spend more money.

“They had to be reminded the money has already been spent,” Lockyer said.

Absolutely priceless!!!!! The la-la land had to be be reminded that it is just that, la-la land :)…reminds me Alice in Wonderland too: ‘But I don’t wan to go among mad people’ said Alice. ‘Oh, you can’thelp that’, said the cat. ‘We’re all mad here’ :)…only the Californian libs have to be reminded that too :)…

jimver on November 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

kam582 on November 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The fact remains that every one of those well run republican states simply has many fewer people per square mile than the states with more difficulties. If you’re willing to ignore the fact that operating an empty state is easier than operating one busting at the seams, then there’s no point in a discussion at all.

ernesto on November 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Note to la-la Ernesto, 30% of the people on welfare in the whole of the US live in Kalifornia…still wonder then why it is so overpopulated? See any causality link there, mate?…of course not, lt me help you a little: the lazy bums of this nation prefer to settlein Kalifornia because of the insane amount of freebies available, they won’t go to Utah, Nebraska, etc, where they can actually find jobs, because that means they’d have to actually work, and that’s like the F word to them :).

jimver on November 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Waaaahoooo! Illinois is #3, but trying harder! Come on Gov. Quinn, you can still makes us #1!
Ok, back to reality…can’t wait to move out of this sh!th0le.

ChicagoBlues on November 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I was born in Jersey and have no desire to live there.

There’s something telling about a state that prohibits its own citizens from pumping gas themselves into their own cars.

Kingfisher on November 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Wasn’t it Jersey that banned sunnyside up eggs?

Don L on November 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

the lazy bums of this nation prefer to settlein Kalifornia because of the insane amount of freebies available,

And it isn’t just the lazy bums of this nation, but also droves of immigrants who can cash in on a vast amount of freebies the state happily makes available to them too, making California a top “go to” place for the financially downtrodden who are able to get here.

hawkeye54 on November 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

“They had to be reminded the money has already been spent,” Lockyer said.

Absolutely priceless!!!!!

What’s truly priceless is that money has been spent on the basis of projections of the tax revenues expected to be collected, not on what the state will actually get, which historically in these scenarios, has usually been considerably less than what was projected.

hawkeye54 on November 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

We’re Number One! We’re Number One!

We’d like to thank all the Democrats who made this evening possible….

ConservativeLA on November 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

But the worst run city is Detroilet.

WeekendAtBernankes on November 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Guy running it is a friend, he does an exceptional job of creating eye-opening experiences for these young folks (one favorite: local Int. Rescue Committee NGO guy – Jewish – explaining to Arab program participants how/why the IRC had done so much to help Somali Muslim refugees settle in one CA city – real-life detonation of all their most treasured bigotries about Jews and the US in one nice little pkg.).

Oh isn’t that sweet! Does he tell them about how they rape and rob the townsfolk, about how they abuse Whites there? Does he tell them about how the Somali Muslims are totally unassimilable, violent extremely low I.Q. African goatherders? I mean this is such a cute picture. A Jewish guy (who has a homeland) tells Arab guys (who have a homeland) about how the Somali Muslims (who have a homeland) are settling Somali’s in CA (which used to be White but now Whites have been displaced and Whites have no homeland). HERE

Bulletchaser on November 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Perhaps the lights will come on when tax time comes. Many of those who voted for Proposition 30, the one that voted in a tax increase, are going to be expecting a refund this year.

Prop 30 is retroactive so instead of getting a check and buying that new flat screen TV, they will be writing a check so that some illegal alien can exercise his ‘Right’ to an iPhone 5.

TimBuk3 on December 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

This is not a surprise considering who they have as Governor.

EdmundBurke247 on December 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Comment pages: 1 2