Quotes of the day

posted at 10:19 pm on November 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

Republican unity against raising tax rates for the wealthy began to show cracks on Wednesday after a conservative congressman said he would back an agreement with President Barack Obama to raise rates on the rich but extend tax cuts for income below $250,000.

With Congress scrambling to avert a series of tax increases and spending cuts due to kick in at the end of the year – known as the “fiscal cliff” – Representative Tom Cole said Republicans should approve a deal ensuring 98 percent of Americans do not suffer a tax increase that endangers the economic recovery…

“If we have an opportunity to, right now, secure the Bush tax cuts for 98 percent of the American people … and then continue to fight on these other issues, I think we should do that,” Cole, a conservative Republican from Oklahoma, told Reuters in an interview.

***

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday shot down a proposal by a senior GOP lawmaker that the House agree to President Obama’s demand to extend middle-class tax rates as Republicans sought to put the focus of negotiations on spending.

The Speaker’s swift rejection of an idea floated by Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a respected party strategist and former chairman of the House GOP campaign committee, came as Republicans voiced increasing concerns that the debate over the so-called “fiscal cliff” had become dominated by talk of taxes rather than spending.

Comparing the nation’s spending crisis to a “freight train,” Boehner said “it’s time for the president and Democrats to get serious about the spending problem that our country has.”

***

As of Thursday, Congress has only 10 legislative days left before the cliff plunge, yet President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) haven’t met in 13 days, and reportedly haven’t spoken on the phone all week. Staff-level talks have produced little progress. Instead, both sides have embarked on a campaign of photo ops with business leaders and middle-class taxpayers aimed less at persuasion than at avoiding blame once the cliff — a combination of huge spending cuts and tax increases — is reached…

Eventually, any deal to restore the nation’s finances will have to look something like the Simpson-Bowles proposal, which combines tax increases and cuts to entitlement spending. There is no viable alternative to their core formula. Yet the threat of a crisis doesn’t seem to be enough to spur action; lawmakers are apparently content to wait for an actual crisis — and Simpson and Bowles are passing the time as scolds and jesters.

***

With a chip on his shoulder larger than his margin of victory, Barack Obama is approaching his second term by replicating the mistake of his first. Then his overreaching involved health care — expanding the entitlement state at the expense of economic growth. Now he seeks another surge of statism, enlarging the portion of gross domestic product grasped by government and dispensed by politics. The occasion is the misnamed “fiscal cliff,” the proper name for which is: the Democratic Party’s agenda.

For 40 years the party’s principal sources of energy and money — liberal activists, government-employees unions — have advocated expanding government’s domestic reach by raising taxes and contracting its foreign reach by cutting defense. Obama’s four years as one of the most liberal senators and his four presidential years indicate that he agrees. Like other occasionally numerate but prudently reticent liberals, he surely understands that the entitlement state he favors requires raising taxes on the cohort that has most of the nation’s money — the middle class.

Mitt Romney as candidate and others before and since have suggested increasing revenue by capping income tax deductions. This would increase that tax’s progressivity, without raising rates that would dampen incentives. Obama’s compromise may be: Let’s do both. Remember the story of when the British Admiralty sought six new battleships, the Treasury proposed four, so they compromised on eight.

***

Who actually has the leverage in negotiations over the fiscal cliff—and the extension of Bush-era income tax cuts in particular? On the surface, it might look like Democrats, who control the White House and the Senate, have the upper hand. But House Republicans may have more leverage than is immediately apparent…

We already have a pretty good clue to how the White House will act—not what the administration is saying now, but how it actually acted in 2010, the last time the Bush tax cuts were set to expire. Then, as now, doing nothing would have allowed tax rates to rise. And then, as now, the president insisted that he would not extend the Bush tax cuts for top earners. But he did anyway.

Asked at a press conference earlier this month why this time would be different, President Obama suggested that the economy was better this time around. In fact, it’s growing at the same pace. Which is to say that Obama didn’t have a very good answer, because this time isn’t all that different. And while a different outcome is possible, especially if the GOP follow’s Rep. Cole’s advice, it’s not the most likely scenario.

***

But there is a profound lack of curiosity when it comes to the other half of this supposed bargain. Remember that hypothetical deal of $1 in tax increases to $10 in spending cuts? Republicans are still being asked about it and criticized for rejecting it. But balancing the budget under that formula would require $9 trillion in spending cuts over the next ten years. When was the last time the president or a Democratic congressman was asked whether or not they would agree to such a deal?

For that matter, it’s worth noting that more than half of Democratic congressmen and eleven senators have signed a pledge to oppose any changes to Social Security or Medicare. If pledges are the root of all evil, couldn’t we pause for just a moment in our attempts to run Grover Norquist out of town to work up the tiniest bit of outrage about this one?

In fact, many Democrats actually want to spend more, at least in the short term. The president’s most recent budget calls for $2.6 in increased spending between now and 2022. That’s $1 trillion more than the $1.6 trillion that the president has called for in new taxes. Therefore, the tax hikes would not be used to reduce the deficit, but to finance new spending. And, according to news reports, the president has already floated the idea of still more stimulus spending as part of the fiscal-cliff talks.

***

Obama does in fact want to take the country over the cliff. It’s win-win-win-win-win.* He gets to raise taxes (including on the middle class, which he needs to pay for his welfare state), he gets some cuts to the the military he despises, he gets cuts for Medicare (not part of his coalition), he gets to blame the GOP for all of this, and, bonus, he gets to claim the coming recession he’s already engineered is the GOP’s fault, too.

The GOP is in a bad situation and will try to give the store away to avoid this. We shouldn’t. Let Obama have the economy he wants, and let him take responsibility for it, too.

***

Hennessey’s first point is probably true. Going over the fiscal cliff without a deal will probably result in a recession. But his second point may not be true. While a recession would be terrible for the country, it may not be terrible for the Obama presidency. Obama knows that he has the media standing by to blame Republicans for any failure to reach a deal, and he knows that there are enough low-information voters out there to believe whatever the media says. The media covered for him both on Benghazi and the fiscal cliff during the elections; it’s likely to keep covering for him. He also knows, based on his own re-election victory, that a terrible economy leads to more dependency on government, which leads to more people seeing him and his party as the guarantors of their government benefits. This dynamic is a very effective way to kill arguments favoring smaller government. Who needs abstractions and Milton Friedman when there’s no food on the table?

***

The co-chairman of President Barack Obama’s 2010 fiscal commission said it’s unlikely the president and Congress will reach a deal by the end of this year to avert the so-called fiscal cliff.

Erskine Bowles, also a former chief of staff to President Bill Clinton, estimated there is a one-third probability the sides will strike a deal by the end of this year. Speaking today at a breakfast in Washington sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, he said there’s another one-third chance that all sides will reach a deal early in 2013.

“I’m really worried,” Bowles told reporters. “I believe the probability is we’re going over the cliff.”

Erskine Bowles on the Fiscal Cliff: ‘I’m Really Worried’ from The Christian Science Monitor on FORA.tv

Via the Daily Caller.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Worse than you can imagine… o_O

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Glad I always sucked. :)

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

ROTFLMAO… Lucky you, remember it really is true… there really are somethings that once seen, can never be unseen again… :O

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I am gonna have a bay and name it vic-odin. / lol

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

ROTFLMAO… Man oh man is he going to be popular… ;p

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

My sister has this stuff called “Friendship Bread”. It seems to me about as much trouble as having a pet, so I told her I didn’t find it very friendly and turned it down. Now every once in awhile she bakes a loaf of this stuff and I’m afraid to eat it because it was started from some previously fermented stuff or whatever. It scares me. Is sourdough the same type thing?

Night Owl on November 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Sounds neat. I started making lacto-fermented vegetables this year to get rid of extra yellow squash and zucchini. I love the flavor, but everyone else in my family, not so much.

Hoping to get some kombucha starter for Christmas.

cptacek on November 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

4me

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Love the song, but that video always cracks me up.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Names? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I laughed out loud. I am professional but some times..I cant hold back. lol

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Over Thanksgiving we talked about that a little. I noticed my ideas of cool names had changed.

I think “Rosalind” is cool now. Earlier me would shake his head at it. But the reason why is earlier me hadn’t read As You Like It. Rosalind is young, beautiful, feisty, pretty amazing in every way, and so that’s my image of “Rosalind” now. Before, it was just an olden-times name or something. :)

Anyway, it’s just associations. Put a 90 year old woman in a movie, call her “Rosalind” — done. Put Kate Beckinsale in there, call her “Rosalind” — done, completely different. Mean, nice, old, young, whatever.

Just talking.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Yeah . . . . . 2014 . . . . . .(expletive)

Thx..I stayed for the laughs. Some of you all are the best.

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM

( b l u s h )

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I work in health insurance.
And with small business and we are one our-self.
I have a chronic health issue.
So guess what mood I am in? R’s in Fl invaded my health care (thx Pam effing Bondi) and I breathe Obamacare 24/7.
R and D..no diff anymore..So I am in one hell of a bad mood. So I post salad recipes or I will rip someones head off!

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I am gonna have a bay and name it vic-odin. / lol

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

LOLOL.

We could have a blast just coming up with probable baby names under the Obama regime. :)

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

This is the most comment-posting I’ve done in days, but now I’m “bugging out”.

Catch y’all tomorrow (maybe).

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

This is the most comment-posting I’ve done in days, but now I’m “bugging out”.

Catch y’all tomorrow (maybe).

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Take it easy… ;)

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I caught your reply, but I gotta go.

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Goodnight!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Love the song, but that video always cracks me up.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Such a “cool” song and such a “nerdy” fountain pouring it out makes it even better to me. :) And isn’t it weird it survives so long? Musically I mean?

Catch y’all tomorrow (maybe).

listens2glenn on November 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Later L2G.

Way to kill my rock and roll fantasy, btw. :)

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM

We have set a recent record for number of posts. We are already on page 4. But this will be my last post for a while so you guys will have to keep things going while I am gone for a while.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

ROTFLMAO… Man oh man is he going to be popular… ;p

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

lol, I am not breeding which should elate extreme so/cons.
I was kidding.I would never name my child something stupid.
My nephews name is Christian (my world)..I had a hand in that a year and a half ago.
I wanted Gabriel Michael -the 2 arch angels names..but they said people would call him Gabe then gay..and no.
With me in the genetic woodpile..fear of the ghey to boot.
Whateverz.
I wouldn’t be surprised that in 20 years i am old in my laz y boy and kids come to my door named obama and perco-cet. Wont faze me.
but i wont buy their candy..LMAO

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Dude, it takes time to get the special Al Sharpton Shiny Silver Suit custom ordered and shipped. Give me 20 more minutes, give or take, and it should arrive on your doorstep.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Does Christie have one big double chin or are there many chins hidden by his big fat double chin?

He might have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

4me2

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM

but i wont buy their candy..LMAO

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

You are cracking me up tonight.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Ok. Thanks. Soon as I get it I will polish it up with floor wax and Troll for the babes that hang out near my office in the the photo-mat.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Yes. I understand trillions and I’m a bird or a cat so I have said pea-brain.

ROTFLMAO… MY P,Brane is lines 1 through 5…. ;p

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Didn’t y’all know, I’m an idiot?
trillions is a math thing, I must say. 16 and counting is just so Obamaphone easy.

And that’s exactly where we are. Terrific, one might say.

btw, software isn’t all math, more mundane in peoples’ sense.
That is a fact.

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

He might have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

lol — racist.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Well folks, this tired old used up Rock star has to turn in, got to install a gas range tomorrow, or drink a lot of beer, one or the other, kind of hard to tell which one it will be… lol lol

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

He might have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Actually, I think that’s just an old Springsteen T-shirt that he can’t get off.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

b

azil9 on November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

LOLOL.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

We could..and it would be funny and sad at once.
Whats the new burger at Wedy’s I got a mailer on today? Baconater?
Baconater Leonard Johnson. DOB 1 /13 2013. NYC. heeee

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Night-good to see you walker- hang in there you old rocker and roller.

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Christies chin weighs more than Wang Chin, Zhong Chin and Feng Chin.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Didn’t y’all know, I’m an idiot?

And that’s exactly where we are. Terrific, one might say.

btw, software isn’t all math, more mundane in peoples’ sense.
That is a fact.

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

ROTFLMAO… You might be an idiot, but at least you weren’t dumb enough to show the entire world your P,Brane… lol lol lol… (some smarty Alec is going to come along and prove all my fancy math is wrong, and then the world will really see who the true idiot is lol lol lol )

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Goodnight, SWalker. Sweet dreams & a great tomorrow!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Night SWalker.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yeah, Christie was Born to Run Waddle

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM

He might have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Ah, Peking Ravioli with Ginger sauce. Oh, yes..
And, yes Axe, ’tis racist. Maybe even sexist as
pot stickers do look just so…

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM

haha

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

You are cracking me up tonight.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

B9 unplugged. :)
Free tickets to al my friends..cause that is all
that would show up. LOL.
Sorry..deliriously tired and trying not to be negative.
I was doing my love sparky drive by and stayed.
Grrrr

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

4me2

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Hadn’t heard LB’s cover of that song. It’s good.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Christie is like a smelly Jim Shu.
Stay in NJ..fits- the stank.

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

i have good news…we will not be having a wealth tax (like Fr.) anytime soon. Why?

our overlords are rich…very rich. Take susan rice for example.

A mind boggling porfolio…

some huge positions…250K in transcanada…but that’s my no means the largest position. Lots of transactions

So this is a professionally managed portfolio i would guess….f/t job managing it

And her husband? ian cameron, exec producer of…wait for it…ABC news with Stephy…so rich, so cozy, Family Values

and poor susan

Rice said that her parents taught her to “never use race as an excuse or advantage“, and as a young girl she “dreamed of becoming the first U.S. Senator from the District of Columbia”.[1] She also held “lingering fears” that her accomplishments would be diminished by people who attributed them to affirmative action.[1] After her father’s death in 2011, she said, “He believed segregation had constrained him from being all he could be. The psychological hangover of that took him decades to overcome. His most fervent wish was that we not have that psychological baggage.”

yeah, ok…her dad was just the Second black GOVERNOR who served on the FED…

Susan Rice has more money than any of the posters on HA…i’ll pretty much wager that right here…so rich, so left….so willing to tell lies…whatever you want barry, yes Sir, Sir

Can you imaging how Rich barry will be in 20 years…Bill Clinton rich or AlGore rich?…or better??

r keller on November 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

…over 330 comments!
*runs outside…looks in sky*
…YEP!…think that’s a full moon!
Howls!

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Yowaz, total Strike Post. LOL. I’ve been known to do that a time or 2.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Yes. I understand trillions and I’m a bird or a cat so I have said pea-brain.

[. . .]

Didn’t y’all know, I’m an idiot?

And that’s exactly where we are. Terrific, one might say.

btw, software isn’t all math, more mundane in peoples’ sense.

That is a fact.

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Your use of English is at once startlingly clear and confusingly cryptic, something like a flash in a fog, an image that resolves itself into an inextricable shape and terrible implication, not in the eye, but on the back of the eyelid, or in the mind.

It’s an honor to read your nonsensical truths.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM

LOL- I somehow striked everything grace.
Whoops.
I have to get to bed.
xo

And spark- you better quit the nonsense!
I cant email you- so u better be here when I want you!
i am woman- hear me roar and all that. ;)

later gators.
God bless and be well.
xo

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Hi, KOOL!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Oooh, I missed that one.

SWalker on November 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

bring it if you think you have it.
I do real world software. I’d take any challenge that you might have.
Without envy. Any software language, though I’m hard C/C++ and Perl in that archance Unix OS. Heh.
Bring it.

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Goodnight, B9. God bless.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

‘gnite SWalker

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM

That must be it. Full Moon. You are correct.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Ha. In Cali, I actually worked with a gal named Sunday.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM

She wouldn’t be a SundayLee, would she? If so, I know where she works now.

Harbingeing on November 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Hadn’t heard LB’s cover of that song. It’s good.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I know, right? I clicked it and surfed on and thought “that’s a cover” and then I thought “I don’t care — it’s a really good cover” and then I had to click back to . . .

. . . Is this explanation as boring as b9′s salads?

lol — Emeril. OMG.

Anyway, we have to be friends because you are totally going through my mix tape and only friends are allowed to go through my mix tape. You want something from the fridge?

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

She wouldn’t be a SundayLee, would she? If so, I know where she works now.

Harbingeing on November 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Ha. Nope. Guess there are at least 2 Sundays in California. :)

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Nite B9. You and 4grace are fun.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

4JohnBoehner

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Night b9.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Lolz, I’m honored to experience your groovy mix tape.
Nothing from the fridge, thanks. I could use some Cheese Puffs, though. You know, munchies and all.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I just got your joke. Smelly Gym Shoe. Haha good one.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I’m encouraged by many here. That too is a fact.
My arms around conservative principles and all of you folks and fools and kindred spirits.

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Motley is the only wear.

4Spark. Content warning.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

…just came by to lurk a little…good to see you and B9 posting…whereever you are going Sparky…get ack safe and soon!…night!

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

archance
same, though I was thinking arcane

mickytx on November 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

get b ack

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Later, Koolaid. Rest well.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM

get b ack

KOOLAID2 on November 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Spark hasn’t actually — O hang it.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Catch tune. Corny, but fun.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Catchy tune. Catch-22.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

4Dire — Eh? :)

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Catch tune. Corny, but fun.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

O YEAH MAN! . . . have to finish this first though.

*metal hand signal*

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM

4Dire — Eh? :)

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Get.Out! I was just about to play that. Thought it would go well with your mix tape.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Thank you as always..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Thanks friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Cool! I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have believed anyone else. I dunno why. :) Anyway, weird.

And weird!

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM

4me2 — Trying to recapture a dream L2G has destroyed.

Thanks friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM

You’re a hard man to bulls-eye you know, what with the taste and all.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM

A blast from the past:

Although the Ruling Class blames their mess [debt ceiling bill] on the tea party, the truth is they shut us out a few weeks ago already. This has been their dog and pony show all along. Now they have a bill that is the product of secret backroom negotiations that can’t survive scrutiny and are once against using crisis to pass it through in a hurry, again avoiding scrutiny.

Am I wrong to be suspicious that, perhaps, in the long run we’ll all realize that the bill is just another grab-bag of reelection goodies for incumbents? Did the Ruling Class just turn the debt ceiling vote, which used to be “routine”, they say, into a new opportunity for corruption? And if so, how sick is it that at the same time they blame the tea party for their own corruption, even while the tea party is actually trying to stop them?

Or maybe I’m wrong and the Ruling Class really does have our best interest at heart. /sarc

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I think that the big winner in the debt ceiling debacle has been the Ruling Class. They get a bill that increases the debt ceiling, does little if anything to cut real spending, yet includes plenty of empty rhetoric and gimmicks they think will help them fool the electorate into reelecting them. With the MSM’s help they’ve even diverted blame for their own incompetence to the tea party who hasn’t even been a party to their secret backroom negotiations.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I hope tea partiers on the hill vote against the bill on principle but I think the rest of the Republican’s should vote for a 6 month clean DC hike. Let’s let cooler heads prevail, the MSM is going wild with hysterics and are starting to sound dangerous. (The truth is that they’ve made such outlandish claims about Aug 3rd and beyond that their credibility is about to plummet.)

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 9:07 PM

They Democrats would be right to blame the GOP establishment for the so-called “fiscal cliff”, although the Democrats are also to blame, bu the tea party, including myself, was opposed to it at the time.

FloatingRock on November 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Can’t find anything good enough to “4Grace” — Bummer. There’s no pizza of resistance the will do.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM

O YEAH MAN! . . . have to finish this first though.

*metal hand signal*

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM

\m/

April Wine is a good band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T_PQoTC30 (not April Wine, but it does rock!)

Anti-Control on November 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Well, that’ll wake the neighbors. :)

Dedicated to the next 4 years.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Well I am back finally after a period of not being here because I was somewhere else the same way a tautology really never really says anything.

I like to lurk at my own comments to feed my ego.

Does that make me a bad person?

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Crap, I’m tired. Once more…

Dedicated to the next 4 years…

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Lol, I love most all pizza, so just give it a shot.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I like to lurk at my own comments to feed my ego.

Does that make me a bad person?

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Not at all, but do you crack yourself up?

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:09 AM

How likely are you to purchase any Acorn footwear in the next three months?

This thing is following me around. When I scroll to make it go away it chases me. It must be guided by a tiny person inside that can see me move my mouse.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:11 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Yep. I laugh at my own stupid jokes. But I laugh more at other peoples jokes.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:11 AM

You really need to publish a compilation (compostation?) of your H/A comments. Self publish on Amazon. You’ll be a gazillionaire.

So, think of an appropriately Spark-like title.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Lol, I love most all pizza, so just give it a shot.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM

It’ll have to wait. This is obviously going to take some research and is a multi-day project. You are usually bailing somewhere about now. :)

*yawn*

Actually, I usually do too, but I gave myself one thing to do today, “heal” — and I must have done a pretty good job of it because I feel more like starting tomorrow than ending today.

Does that make me a bad person?

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Yes. Or just really interesting.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM

There is little to no chance for tax increases. Get your head out of the sand. This [the debt ceiling deal] is the best we can do for the moment, and considering it’s almost total victory, I think we did well.

TheQuestion on August 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM

No, it’s not! We don’t have to allow the Ruling Class to violate us with their corrupt bill, let’s all demand a clean bill instead.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM

FloatingRock on November 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM

compostation? Teehee. Schad thinks I should do the same.

My Magic * Ball tells me what to say most of the time.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:18 AM

What happened, Axe?? Did you inadvertently go *poof*? That can happen, you know.

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Crap, I’m tired. Once more…

Dedicated to the next 4 years…

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

When I think about 0webowmao, I think of these Alice songs, too

Welcome to My Nightmare

Remarkably Insincere

This one does not make think of 0dumba, however

I’m Alive (That Was the Day My Dead Pet Returned to Save My Life)

Anti-Control on November 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I suppose I could lie and claim that I ignore my own comments by doing a SparkCott but then I would be lying.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM

That’s good to hear…the “heal” thing. :)

And you’re correct, I do need to bail. Thanks for the tunes & the laughs.

Goodnight to you and Spark and the rest of the gang!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Good night Axe4Grace.

Sounds like a metal band.

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM

SparkCott

SparkPlug on November 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM

LOL

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Huh. I’ve heard of it. :) Never happened to me though.

*sniff*

Proof I have no fear whatever.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Anti-Control on November 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Sorry, I missed your post. You’re correct. Alice has several songs that are very apropos to our current administration.

Goodnight, A-C!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM

4ClassicRollers

4Me&Spark (Again)

Goodnight to you and Spark and the rest of the gang!

4Grace on November 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Night Grace! Was a blast. It’s was pretty radical actually, but I’m playing it cool.

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:30 AM

***

All I can tell you is that chocolate candy is about the only thing in the Universe, out of all the things in the Universe that look like chocolate candy, that is chocolate candy.

Selah.

Night, night crew. :)

Morning, morning crew!

*poof*

Axe on November 29, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Yodels into valley – cups ear

cane_loader on November 29, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Rice being married to George Stephanopoulas’ producer is like a gay Nolan Ryan being married to the plate ump.

The country is in moral collapse.

cane_loader on November 29, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I’m the ‘tween crew…..

And the ‘tween crew is heading for bed!

cane_loader on November 29, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Tea Party won the first skirmish of a long, long fight

This sham bill [the 2011 debt ceiling bill] was a setup. The Ruling Class will try first give credit for the bill to the tea party, to convince us to put our heads through it [the noose] voluntarily, then later blame the next dip in the economy on the [debt ceiling] bill, thus the tea party. [If they took the bait.]

The tea party’s efforts were centered around CC&B, which was supposed to be an open and transparent process. Instead the Ruling Class rejected that path and negotiated in secret where they could avoid scrutiny. The sham-bill is wholly a product of the Ruling Class, for the Ruling Class, and tea partiers would be well advised to steer clear.

If tea partiers refuse to take ownership for this bill we can instead point the finger at it and use it as a noose on the Ruling Class; make it backfire on them.

FloatingRock on August 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Alright, conservatives, let’s make sure it backfires on them instead!

FloatingRock on November 29, 2012 at 4:26 AM

DO NOT MISS THIS POST BY J. E. DYER!

She has done some invaluable analysis and research on the details on the current and coming propagandizing work of the Obamacare-oriented PR industry.

It ought to be a front page stand-alone piece here. Read it even thought it’s not!

INC on November 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM

“fiscal cliff” had become dominated by talk of taxes rather than spending

because they let the lsm walk all over them during their interviews, pushing the dem agenda….

cmsinaz on November 29, 2012 at 5:43 AM

INC on November 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM

good linky

cmsinaz on November 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM

dear leader meeting with everyone BUT the gop to work this sucker out…

enough with the campaigning