Video: The freaky quintuple deaky Brazilian ghost prank

posted at 10:01 pm on November 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

Normally I don’t re-post Greenroom stuff on the front page but this clip is much bigger online than I realized this afternoon and now I want to make sure everyone sees it. When I checked at 7 p.m. ET, the YouTube version with a Brazilian title had 2.1 million views after being uploaded two days ago. Two hours later, at 9 p.m. ET, it had 2.9 million views. Even by viral video standards, that’s solid; in fact, versions of the clip now occupy not one but two of the top 10 slots at Viral Video Chart — and that doesn’t include the Live Leak version, which is now also over 1.6 million views in just one day. In theory there’s a language barrier here but in practice there’s none at all. Turns out pranks involving creepy little ghost girls with dolls are as universally culturally transferable as Chaplin movies.

The laughter, though, might not be. Watch the ghost clip and the bonus clip below it, which was also posted today by Live Leak as a further tribute to Brazilians finding traumatic fear hilarious. Comments in the Greenroom and online seem to follow three tracks, and they’re split surprisingly evenly: (1) It’s cruel but funny; (2) it’s cruel, not funny, and they’re lucky no one had a heart attack; and (3) it’s cruel, not funny, and they’re lucky no one attacked the little girl in blind terror. Any way you slice it, though, it’s cruel. Exit question for our one or two Brazilian readers: Is this kinda sorta par for the course on TV down there or is this weird by your standards too? And if the latter, what’s with the second clip?

Comments

D W S as a child?…that picture!

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

….the mouth looks different!

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM

…Brazilians need to come to America to be frightened

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Especially the older people, could have easily had a heart attack and died. Sick prank to pull on someone.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I saw this last night. They are lucky I wasn’t in that elevator: I would pee my pants and then attack..

I can’t believe how the men acted though. LOL

melle1228 on November 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

…they could meet Hillary, DWS, Pelosi…Waters…

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I was wondering if this was going to make the main page…

Seven Percent Solution on November 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

You’d think somebody would at least have poked her to see if she was a ghost.

tbrosz on November 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Damn that lady had big titties! :-D

ThePrez on November 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

“And if the latter, what’s with the second clip?”

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on November 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Judging by that second clip, I guess Brazilians find mass shootings hilarious.

RedRedRice on November 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I don’t get why people think ghost are scarry. First of all, they don’t exists, but even if they did, no one has ever been harmed by one.

???

Ars Moriendi on November 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

“Lord and our savior..Barrack Obama” – Jammy Fox.

The audience cheered…

Electrongod on November 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Damn that lady had big titties! :-D

ThePrez on November 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Bmore ?…you there?…there’s that word again!

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I can’t speak for what goes on down in South America, but I’ve seen this kind of crap on TV in Italy.

JPeterman on November 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

A much better thought-out prank than the ones on Scare Tactics. For that show, I’d like to see a plan where the victim has his or her own gag going when pranked, and draws a gun. Otherwise, the show is a bore.

Another good one from Brazil has a screen on the floor of an elevator, to play a vid of the panels starting to fall away. Funny!

Liam on November 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I guess I am off on my own, I think it is hilarious, but I am surprised nobody started wailing away on that little girl.

boone on November 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Allah, your crazy japanese Cathy video was way way better.

tom daschle concerned on November 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Anyone living in Texas, NM, or CA sees stuff like this all the time on the Mexican channels.

abobo on November 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I might have jumped on first seeing her but I do that now when some comes up behind me. After that I would have asked her where the door she came through was. She’s not scary and doesn’t look like a ghost.

Rocks on November 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Maybe it’s the old airdale in me, but I found that elevator ghost video to be awesomely funny. :)

TKindred on November 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Liam on November 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That show was terrible. I watched it once and the prank was supposedly taking place in Kansas and in the yard of the house there were… palm trees. lol yeah ok.

Ars Moriendi on November 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

It would have been scarier if the little girl was dressed up like a clown…

… and the video was on auto-play.

Seven Percent Solution on November 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’ve seen several comments on other sites that the people in the elevator are all actors. Could be-I don’t know what the applicable liability laws are like in Brazil.

I sure wouldn’t want to try the “drunk firing a gun in the air at a cafe” stunt in the US–too many CCW holders and off-duty police officers around.

Mohonri on November 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Allah, your crazy japanese Cathy video was way way better.

tom daschle concerned on November 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I don’t think he gets that. It’s a skit from an SCTV/SNL type show. The same show has a skit with mannequins that spun off and got it owns show.

Rocks on November 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think this was staged. First, in the one clip with the two older women.. when the lights are off you can see the one older woman ( on left) looking directly at the kid as the kid is crawling back into the hidden panel. She even sort of has a smile. Besides… who would not hear or see this kid come in or out. In a small enclosed elevator? You would hear the penal opening and closing. And did the elevator move? You would feel it not move.

If it was real.. I’m surprised someone didn’t knock the kid senseless.

JellyToast on November 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m not Brazilian, but having watched my fair share of Brazilian TV over the years, I would say this is pretty standard fare. Hidden camera shows are very popular.

As far as Brazilian viral videos go, this one has to be my all-time favorite.

steebo77 on November 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Paranormal Movie 5….

Spooks in the Elevator!
(sarc)

canopfor on November 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When it come to fear, this type of fear is more real then putting ones hands in a box full of unknown something or eating something for fear factor. That is why Ghost Hunters has a good run even if it did not show the ghost all the time just the fear on the people looking for them is what it was really all about. Or something like that.

tjexcite on November 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Ahem………,

maybe this prank could be pulled off,when Democrats
use the elevator,at Congress or Senate!

To remind them,of a certain policy,they hold dear!
(snark)

canopfor on November 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Ya know,the child,is having a bad hair day!
(sarc)

canopfor on November 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Seems like something that would be shown on Japanese TV.

acasilaco on November 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Just great…..I blame Brazil,for allowing spooks to escape
out of the earths crust,to harass Peru!
(sarc)
=======

A magnitude 5.6 earthquake has hit northern Peru – @USGSBigQuakes

2 mins ago from earthquake.usgs.gov by editor

canopfor on November 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

As far as Brazilian viral videos go, this one has to be my all-time favorite.

steebo77 on November 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

What am I missing here???

JPeterman on November 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Has no one here watched “Scare Tactics” on sci-fi?

A. Weasel on November 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

When I saw this the other day, I was laughing my ass off, not at the innocent elevator riders, I actually felt sorry for them, but at how our PC networks would’ve handled the pitch of the writers who came up with the idea. “You wanna do what?”

And the young actress, she reminded me of Samara in The Ring, what an incredible job she did. And that scream was off-the-charts good.

It’s a good thing they filmed it in Brazil with their strict gun control, because if it had been filmed in, say, Texas, the little girl would probably have been shot.

In any case, it’s given me a great idea for our company Christmas parties this year. ;-)

TXUS on November 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

You’d think somebody would at least have poked her to see if she was a ghost.

tbrosz on November 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

“Dumb ways to die…
So many dumb ways to die!”

Shy Guy on November 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

<a href="A little riddiculus gibberish“>Ghost smhost…

SWalker on November 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I think this prank really could have killed someone. Excellent production value, though. Great stainless.

ThePrez on November 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

…Bmore ?…you there?…there’s that word again!

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Standards, people! What are we, KOS kids?

Those were bozangas anyway, just above well, hello! and just under damn, girl!

Axe on November 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

…they could meet Hillary, DWS, Pelosi…Waters…

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Helen Thomas . . . . .

listens2glenn on November 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

…they could meet Hillary, DWS, Pelosi…Waters…

KOOLAID2 on November 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Helen Thomas . . . . .

listens2glenn on November 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Oh yeah, and Andrea Mitchell (how could I forget her?).

listens2glenn on November 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It would have been scarier if the little girl was dressed up like a clown…
… and the video was on auto-play.
Seven Percent Solution on November 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Auto-play ::shudder::

whatcat on November 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Rocks on November 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My wife, who is the most easily scared person in the world, thought the video was hilarious AND “a good lesson that people need to be more aware of their environment”.

She also wanted to know, “Why didn’t anyone just HUG the little girl?”

PolAgnostic on November 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

“What’s with the second clip”. LOL!

Can you imagine what would happen if someone tried that here? He would have been citizen-shot in 2 (or more) of the 5 scenarios.

aquaviva on November 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I was in Brazil and was watching a hidden camera show and the host was walking around with a contraption that was like a box with a siren and he would point it at guys on the beach in Rio and it would alarm and he would say in Portuguese “Yep, this one is gay!” Now those reactions were funny.

Marcus on November 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I would have pulled out my Sig on the guy in the second video. Civic duty ya know?

Donald Draper on November 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM

dude. I’m skeered, I can’t even watch skeery movies. It gives me the heebie jeebies and I would’ve flipped the heck out on that kid.

ted c on November 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM

aquaviva on November 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You couldn’t do that second one in the U.S. or Canada, without haven’t law enforcement “in on it”.

listens2glenn on November 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM

that pic has got to be in the top 5 freaky deaky pics in Allah-P’s collection. The top being the ice cream guy and then russell brand—or DWS, whichever.

ted c on November 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

What would Alan Funt say?

vcferlita on November 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

ok, i’m torn. someone said one of the chicks in the vid has big bazongas, but I’m scared to watch and have just gotta see the bazongas.

choices choices!

ted c on November 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Everyone here is a little late to the party. Brazilians included. The Japanese have been doing this for years and years. Google the ghost in the mirror prank, or the fake sniper attack. Or, for a more gentle and palatable experience, search for the crazy Frenchman prankster. Can’t remember his name, but it sounds French. His “MarioKart” on the streets of Paris is pure genius.

The Resolute Desk on November 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

choices choices!

ted c on November 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Don’t worry mate, it’s only scary to the people living through it. And the tatas are pretty sweet, but not worth watching the whole thing over.

abobo on November 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM

aquaviva on November 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Check out the scary snowman prank in New Jersey. Doesn’t get shot, but there’s a great one of him getting cold-cocked by a surprised dad.

The Resolute Desk on November 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I lived in Brazil and my wife is brazilian. there is a HUGE cultural factor that you miss by never being there. the illiteracy rate there in rural parts is atrocious. so these shows often prey on the “Obama Phone Lady” segment of the population.

(My wife LOL’d)

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on November 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Does no one remember Candid Camera? Now that show was cruel.

RINOs are people too on November 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM

TKindred on November 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Agreed. As siblings we did worst stuff to each other even without the technology. Having had those experiences, we would have laughed our as*es off at the little girl.

rrpjr on November 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Does no one remember Candid Camera? Now that show was cruel.

RINOs are people too on November 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Sarcasm? CC always seemed to tame to me. Fox had an entry in the genre in the mid-90s called “Totally Hidden Video” it was at the level of the Brazilian video at times.

I remember one particularly elaborate set up which included an entirely staged large wedding with everyone in on it but the mark. When the minister asked if anyone knew why the two shouldn’t marry, one of the wedding party would say yes, claim the bride had been cheating on the groom, then point to the stunned mark. Then the groom would go into full on crazy mode, storm down the aisle to attack the poor soul, only being held back at the last minute by other “wedding guests”. LOL!

Kungfoochimp on November 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Or maybe: (4) It’s fake. How many elevators have any of you been on that didn’t actually move while supposedly changing floors? This one didn’t, yet none of these people seemed to notice. Kind of a dead giveaway.

xblade on November 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM

And just watched the second video, and it’s obviously fake as well. The restaurant “patrons” respond as if they’ve practiced their escape a dozen or so times, lol.

xblade on November 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

This passes as Brazilian humor? The second video is worthy of lawsuits in this country. As for the first, I would have freaked at first, because who wouldn’t be surprised, but by the second time, I’d be a little investigative and aware. Black glass is usually a sure sign of a false or two way mirror or glass. I also don’t believe in ghosts, or rather I believe they’re demons.

Logus on November 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Rocks on November 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Easy for you to say while watching it online. But I think you probably would’ve peed your pants and freaked out like all the other people. You wouldn’t have been expecting it at all, and that is what makes it so startling.

bluegill on November 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM

I remember that show! In particular the last episode, where they featured a prank they played on the host of the show who was one of the actors. He was supposed to smash a fake violin as part of the prank, but after he did it he was told he broke a real one, and he was PISSED that no one stopped him before he broke it. The prank was that he really did smash a fake violin.

ScoopPC11 on November 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I would have gasped for sure when she appeared. Then I THINK (not sure here) that I would have sighed and started laughing. I’ve taught middle schoolers for over three decades so I’ve seen it all.

Mojave Mark on November 28, 2012 at 5:33 AM

JellyToast on November 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don’t think I’d be able to see her–the elevator would be pitch dark, and I don’t see well in the dark.

DrMagnolias on November 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM

DrMagnolias on November 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Imagine how scary it would have been to have an Obama look alike zombie trying to hug you and shouting “I’m here to help!”

JellyToast on November 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Obviously a commercial for BASS Elevators.

In the US it would have been OTIS Elevators and a seal with a ball on its nose.

percysunshine on November 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM

She’s lucky one of the riders wasn’t a Navy SEAL.

elfman on November 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM

It is not cruel. It is staged. It is entirely scripted, rehearsed, acted and edited in post-production for optimal effect.
This is “reality TV” after all.

HeIsSailing on November 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Red-headed step-sister to blond step-sister: I had sex with a Brazilian.

Blond: Oh my God! You slut! How many is a brazilian?!

LtGenRob on November 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM

As far as Brazilian viral videos go, this one has to be my all-time favorite.

steebo77 on November 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Pedro did something very, very bad.

roy_batty on November 28, 2012 at 8:36 AM

You know what’s scary: $16,000,000,000,000 debt.

I’ll take a ghost any day of the week.

rbj on November 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I am surprised nobody started wailing away on that little girl.

boone on November 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM

That will be seen next year on their special “Scare Tactics” bloopers show!!

Deano1952 on November 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

The prank in the second clip could well have ended with one or more people eating lead – at least here…

CorporatePiggy on November 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

JellyToast on November 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Don’t do that!

DrMagnolias on November 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM

ok, even today I iz still too skeered…i got till the elevator doors closed then I tapped out.

ted c on November 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM