Yep, it’s time for a “Walking Dead” thread

posted at 10:12 pm on November 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

Some Greenroom commenters were asking for it so here it is. Random thoughts:

1. We’re down to two compelling characters, the Governor and Merle, and Merle barely qualifies as a character. He seems to have no inner life except wanting to know where his brother is and I’m not sure if that’s because he misses him or because he misses tormenting him. Why he allows himself to be ordered around by the Governor when he’s willing to brutalize everyone else he encounters, I have no idea. If you had asked me to guess what he would do once he made it to Woodbury, I would have guessed that he’d shoot the Governor in the face within the first five minutes and had the rest of the town under his thumb in the next 10. But oh well. He’s a livewire onscreen and unpredictable moment to moment, and that’s more than you can say for the rest.

2. I haven’t read the comics but … we’re supposed to like Michonne, no? She saved Andrea, she sensed that the Governor is evil, she wields that sword like she’s the samurai queen — she has all the hallmarks of a bad-ass whom you should be rooting for. I’m not. She’s a drag in every scene she’s in. The alleged friendship between her and Andrea feels completely synthetic, mainly because Michonne can’t say more than five words at a time and is always in “hiss” mode. You would think that a show that’s taken heat for marginalizing its black characters (T-Dog and Oscar each got/get maybe two lines per ep) would want to flesh out someone who’s become central to the plot. Nope. She does three things, episode after episode: She glowers at people, kills a few zombies, and has some sort of short, terse confrontation with one of the other leads. That’s Michonne. Episode after episode. Zzzzzzz.

3. The almost-rape scene between the Governor and Maggie was solid, partly because it didn’t go all the way. One of the things about the show that’s always rung false is that it’s a story about men behaving like savages as society breaks down around them and yet the women are all mercifully spared from sexual attacks. The only one I can remember is when Shane got rough with Lori, and she managed to get away. I don’t fault the producers for not mining that narrative vein; no one wants to see it onscreen, especially amid broad comic-book horror like this, which is why zombie movies almost as a rule tend to stay away from it. (“28 Days Later” is a notable exception.) Even so, it’s hard to compute how an unhinged degenerate like Merle manages not to cross the line with the women of Woodbury. The scene with Maggie and the Governor was an elegant way of raising the subject. Nothing too graphic, but the degradation was visceral. They didn’t go any further because they didn’t need to. They made their point.

4. Everyone’s high-fiving over the scenes of Glenn standing up to Merle and then kicking zombie ass but to me that’s an example of the show losing its nerve. They get (and deserve) credit for being willing to kill off major characters like Lori and Shane out of the blue, but you knew watching it last night that they weren’t going to let Glenn get his throat ripped out by the undead sitting bound in that chair. That’s not how they roll. Almost always, when a major character dies, it’s attached to some momentous act of heroism. Lori dies in childbirth; T-Dog dies sacrificing himself to protect that woman whose name I can never remember; Shane dies in an epic struggle with Rick and is then finished off by little Carl. Rarely does anyone simply get ambushed by a zombie and eaten. It’s too undignified for a Major Character, but that’s weak: In a true zombie apocalypse, that’s how most people would die. And the pity of it is, had they let Glenn be devoured by Merle’s zombie last night, it would have been greatly more shocking and affecting than Lori’s or T-Dog’s death. Zombie killing on the show has now become so rote that it’s like watching a video game. The fight between Glenn and Merle’s zombie was the first scary encounter of the season that I can remember. I realize that this is basically just a soap opera with the zombies as part of the set, but they should retain some element of peril, yes?

Also, I’m a little bummed that the writers made sure to have Michonne stab that guy in the cabin before he was tossed to the wolves outside the door. True horror requires that he be pushed out there alive. Basic stuff here, guys.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why does America watch such garbage and why do we discuss it on HA?

Christian Conservative on November 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I’d swear the writers were all anti-gun libtards in season 2. Things looked better in the return when Rick’s band were using supressed ones. Then they head out into the field last night and don’t have them. Instead they have unsurpressed ones which they can’t use as zombies will hear them. Whah?

Then, Andrea has a nice backside, some guy in a cabin with a dead dog, Corbin Bernsen gets stabbed in the head, a guy on the wall has a rifle with a bent barrel…..

Straight Shooter

What exactly am I watching anymore?

roy_batty on November 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

There was a movie made a few years ago called “The Mist” with some familiar faces holed up in a grocery store fighting off enormous inter-dimensional bugs.

the_souse on November 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The real horror of that whole movie came in the last five minutes.

Liam on November 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The comic series is absolutely fantastic, and relentlessly grim. The tv show is enjoyable, and I like the fact that it deviates from the comic series. I have found it useful to think of the comic series as Earth-1 and the tv show as Earth-2 — variations on the same theme, but not identical.

AP — just because we haven’t seen sexual assaults among these particular characters doesn’t mean the Walking Dead world is devoid of it. In fact, the latest webisodes on AMC make this unpleasantly clear.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on November 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

And remember, The Walking Dead refers to the living, not the walkers.

john1schn on November 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

The most philosophical comment here… thank you! I honestly did not know that! (But then I haven’t read the comics.)

I really like Glenn and Maggie. I would say that their characters have developed the most recently. And I like that Glenn went from being the timid scavenger of the group to someone who can defend his lady!

Daryl… I’m liking more and more. I like that his character has changed and he seems to have adopted the group as his new family.

Agree with an earlier comment… for all her zombie killing skills, Andrea is an idiot! Definitely replaced Lori as most disliked.

On a very different note… I think this episode came close to crossing the line of what I can watch. I know that many will jump on this comment and say “what do you expect in a zombie apocalypse”… but then I’m reminded of what happened in the past election when I was wondering… how far has our country fallen from God’s example? And then I find myself watching a near rape on TV as entertainment and critiquing the fear factor. It’s not just the “libs” who have been wallowing in the downfall of our country… I think its all of us… just something to think on…

dominigan on November 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Michonne – Yeah, I was saying to my wife that I’m about ready to find out why she’s so pizzed off all the time. Flesh her out, otherwise she’s kinda annoying.

RedNewEnglander on November 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The Merle/Governor thing made sense to me.
Merle seems to have pretty free reign (for the most part) and likely understands at some level that he isn’t cut out for the administrative end of leadership.
The Governor has need of Merle as muscle/henchman, and indulges his quirks to a large extent.

Mischone is not well developed on the TV show, was much better handled in the comics.

krome on November 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Everyone’s high-fiving over the scenes of Glenn standing up to Merle and then kicking zombie @ss but to me that’s an example of the show losing its nerve

I thought the purpose of that was just to show what that group had been through while on the “outside” and how they weren’t as soft as Merle and his group there. I wasn’t that into the scene, but I thought it worked for that reason, especially using Glenn as the one to do the @ss kicking.

Completely agree on the rape scene and Michone though.

Esthier on November 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Just another soap opera for ‘males’, like “Sons of Anarchy” or “Justified” that the clownboys are always yammering about.

The ghost of Chesty Puller says sack up and turn off that sh**.

M240H on November 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Not true – I’m one of many women I know who love this show! I think the writers need to kill Herschel off next – he’s an easy choice because 1) he’s likable and that will give viewers the shock effect and 2) he’s too much of a liability!

leftophobe on November 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

the_souse on November 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM
The real horror of that whole movie came in the last five minutes.

Liam on November 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

holy 6 degrees of kevin bacon batman! that last scene, two of the characters (the actors) are IN walking dead. andrea and (now dead) dale were in that car. gracious.

and i cant watch that scene anymore. thats the thing about king, he always was putting children at risk, or worse. i gave up reading him in the late 80s for that reason. tho the stand (long ver) is still a great book. i just dont have the time or pateince to read it again anymore.

t8stlikchkn on November 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I was happy to notice this thread yesterday, and tried to find it today to finish reading it. I wasted some time looking for it, and finally found it by doing a google search. Why isn’t it in the archives like other threads?

Alana on November 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM