Record number of shoppers hit stores on Thanksgiving weekend, over $59 billion spent

posted at 2:41 pm on November 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Having worked a few Thanksgiving weekends in retail, I’ve remained traumatized enough to avoid shopping on Black Friday or any point on the holiday weekend ever since. I’m in a distinct minority, though, and an even smaller one this year. The National Retail Federation estimates that American consumers made 247 million shopping excursions in the last four days, combining on-line and in-store visits, and generated over $59 billion in sales:

As the BBC reports, the average per-visit spending total rose too, although not quite as much:

A record 247 million people visited stores and websites between Thursday and Sunday and spent a total of $59.1bn (£36.9bn), 13% more than last year, the National Retail Federation (NRF) said.

The average shopper spent $423 over the weekend, up from $398 last year.

Surveys suggest Americans also plan to spend big on so-called “Cyber Monday”.

“Millions of Americans found time this Thanksgiving to make the most of retailers’ promotions and enjoy a special family holiday,” said NRF chief executive Matthew Shay.

That’s a 6.3% increase in per-shopper spending, significant in itself but also demonstrating that the growth was broader rather than deeper.  The biggest jump came on line, though, which exceeded a billion dollars on Friday for the first time, an increase of 25%.  Thanksgiving Day sales, while most brick-and-mortar stores were closed, rose a third over last year, according to Comscore.com.  They expect sales for “Cyber Monday” today to go over $1.5 billion, which would be a 20% increase over last year.

Retailers of all stripes better enjoy it while they can.  The NRF tells the BBC that they expect a 4.1% increase in overall sales this year, which would be weaker than last year’s 5.6%, and that this burst may end up taking demand from later in the holiday season.  Thanks to heavy discounting, that might end up costing retailers margin on those sales. If consumers fail to see a resolution of the tax dispute in Washington as Christmas approaches, they may start thinking more like Grinches than Santa Clauses, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

See?! Obama fixed EVERYTHING!

/bot

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I spent $0.00

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

As America transitions to AmeriKa, the fools go shopping.

Fund Your Utopia Without Me.™

Ditto to RWM

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

$59 billion is a rounding error in the Obama administration.

Pennies.

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Retailers of all stripes better enjoy it while they can. The NRF tells the BBC that they expect a 4.1% increase in overall sales this year, which would be weaker than last year’s 5.6%, and that this burst may end up taking demand from later in the holiday season. Thanks to heavy discounting, that might end up costing retailers margin on those sales. If consumers fail to see a resolution of the tax dispute in Washington as Christmas approaches, they may start thinking more like Grinches than Santa Clauses, too.

See?! Obama fixed EVERYTHING!

/bot

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Just can’t tolerate good news, can you?

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Obama hands them your hard earned dough and they go shopping.

He truly is this.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Oh yes Washington Nearsider they are out their saying that.

earlgrey133 on November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I bought groceries and some new clothes for my infant daughter who outgrew her onesies. Was I counted? If so, why? Don’t effectively ALL people buy something weekly?

astonerii on November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

See?! Obama fixed EVERYTHING!

/Ed’s MSM Update

bernverdnardo1 on November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

All I want for Christmas is ammo and food.

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I spent $0.00 as well.

tom daschle concerned on November 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I just went for the brawls.

forest on November 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I guess I’m the only person in the country in dire financial straits in this economy. Somehow I missed the boat when the “good times” began to roll.

BeachBum on November 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The National Retail Federation estimates

Didn’t they also “estimate” last year with big numbers that were way off?

The average shopper spent $423 over the weekend, up from $398 last year.

Inflation?

JPeterman on November 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

All I want for Christmas is ammo and food.

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

That was part of my grocery bill…

astonerii on November 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I did almost all of my shopping online. And a lot of that was before Thanksgiving. There weren’t as many good deals as last year though IMO.

Doughboy on November 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I spent $0.00

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hey, coincidentally, I spent the SAME amount as you!

redlucy on November 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Inflation?

JPeterman on November 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Yup. The exact same grocery basket earlier this year cost me $145 today it costs me $193 and some change.

The only reason I do not go back a year is that a higher quality basket in my home state, where I am not right now, cost me about $98-110 dollars depending on ability to price match certain items that week.

astonerii on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Just can’t tolerate good news, can you?

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I love good news. Gas prices dropping, consumer confidence rising, all good things.

What I ALSO do, though, is look at everything through the prism of reality instead of one snapshot.

CNBC, The Wall Street Journal, Investors Business Daily and the IMF are all warning of a massive recession in 2013. All the Black Friday spending in the world won’t fix that.

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

astonerii on November 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Haha! Regular americans shopped too! Unskew this poll! Dumbass.

Poor Ed was forced to post tsomething positive about the economy. Don’t worry ‘baggers he pees in the punch at the end.

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Reading Hot Air commenters on posts that have anything to do with positive economic indicators while Obama is in the White House remind me of a headline in the newspaper in the old SimCity computer game: “Naysayers Say Nay.”

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

IMF link here.

IBD link here.

Sorry.

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Pretty much. All this tells me is people are working harder to make their money go farther. Good news? Hardly. I’m curious to see how the holiday numbers shake out in the end. I’m betting that it will be in the ballpark of last year, up or down.

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

“Naysayers Say Nay.” Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You’re contending that socialism will work this time?

bernverdnardo1 on November 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The average shopper spent $423 over the weekend, up from $398 last year.

Inflation?

JPeterman on November 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Maybe it cost $25 in gas to get to the mall.

forest on November 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

How will the economy get better? Because the one time of year when people always go out and shop like crazy, people went out and shopped like crazy?

Doughboy on November 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Just can’t tolerate good news, can you?

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Good news are indignant. Plus, your nom is wrong.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I spent $0.00

Me also, and I spent $0.00 today on the net!
L

letget on November 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Chance of another recession under Obama is 100%. Can’t run trillion dollar deficits with zero growth forever, honey.

Chuck Schick on November 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I didn’t buy jack or shiite. Instead I sold a bunch of stuff through my wife’s FB account (depriving the gov of sales tax), traded some parts and labor for a half-cow, and generally enjoyed not being out with the animals at the malls.

The ‘rats will rue the day they targeted people like me for destruction, my spending is going to slow waaaaaay down next year.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

the economy will get better and Democrats will get full credit.

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Every one who actually studies economics for a living says there will be a 2013 recession. Including the IMF.

Something WILL happen to the economy though, and the Democrats WILL get full credit, so I guess you’re half right.

50% – which, interestingly enough, will be the real unemployment rate by the time Obama gets done with us.

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Haha! Regular americans shopped too! Unskew this poll! Dumbass.

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Billions of taxpayers money were spent by the parasites in the last few days of shopping. So robbing Peter to give Paul is not going to solve anything… Looking at the videos of people shopping I can see that a good number of them for certain are the welfare queens and kings of inner cities who are using the producers money on shopping…

mnjg on November 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

As long as they take credit for the 8% unemployment rate and the trillion dollars they’ve added to our national debt burden. You know – owning it and all.

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Hmmm I needed a new extension cord and some tools. Not exactly gift shopping.

dogsoldier on November 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I guarantee you what baldilocks hates the most about Barry getting re-elected is that the economy will get better and Democrats will get full credit. tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Lets make a deal. Democrats get FULL credit no matter what happens. No more blaming Bush for his Democrat congress.

Deal? LOL, you know you’ll just say whatever.

bernverdnardo1 on November 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You read that correctly: 800,000 jobs. And that’s according to the CBO, a notoriously conservative outfit when it comes to projections. (Its current estimate of Obamacare’s cost from 2014-2023 is $2.6 trillion.)

Dance, biatch, dance, fools!

Fund Your Utopia Without Me.™

Ditto to RWM

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Not watching the stock market tank again today, are you?

JPeterman on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

The WSJ article is behind a paywall, so I can’t comment on that. The IMF is warning about a global recession, not the U.S.; to the extent it reflects concern about the U.S., it talks about the possible fiscal cliff, which is an entirely separate issue from the general policies of the Obama administration (the fiscal cliff is a bipartisan threat that Congress imposed on itself to force itself to take action addressing deficits). Of course, a global recession could infect this country as well, but it’s disingenuous to pin that on the American president. And the IBD piece did indeed preemtively blame “Obamanomics” for an upcoming recession, but it was written by Newt Gingrich and Peter Ferrara, who are exactly the types one should expect to be cheerleading bad news while Obama is president.

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

On my way to the last tailgate for my college team I was asked to stop and get some Sterno. So there I was in a Sam’s Warehouse store with my 12 pack of Sterno and a couple cases of beer. Didn’t step foot in another store all weekend. Merry dang Christmas if I was counted.

DanMan on November 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Wow you must be mainlining that Koolaid. The economy won’t get better with OClowna and his posse running things. See CA for a clue, m’Kay?

dogsoldier on November 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I spent $0.00

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Ditto… no sales tax revenue for Gov. Moonbeam hear in CA, either…

Khun Joe on November 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

As long as they take credit for the 8% 15% unemployment rate and the trillion dollars they’ve added to our national debt burden. You know – owning it and all.

Typo

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Make sure you all thank Obama for saving you and yours tonight, people.

You didn’t even make a living before he descended from Olympus to save you.

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Chuck Schick on November 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Nonsense! If we just keep spending that shows that things are good!

Look at it this way, a person who has a gambling problem wouldn’t keep gambling would they? No, they would have to stop because they would have spent all their money on gambling, duh!

I can remember when the left derided this line of thought back in 2003-4, made jokes like “go out to dinner! Order steak! Don’t you know there’s a war going on!?” Now all of a sudden people spending money when times are hard is a good thing, Americas back baby! Growth was up by .02%! Unemployment is only 8%!

What a joke.

And its not a matter of poo-pooing any “good” news. Just looking at things as they stand, which is wobbly at best.

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

CBS removed the video with the craven imbeciles and mob who went shopping on Thanksgiving. They were all Obama voters.

So much for freedom in AmeriKa.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Things will be better when the debt ceiling is raised.

Government spending = Utopia

You just need to spend enough.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My daughter ia a college student who works part-time at Victoria’s Secret. One woman had a seizure Black Friday morning and they had to call the paramedics.

bw222 on November 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I spent $0.00

wolly4321 on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Me too. My wife and I cut way back last year on Christmas spending, and we’re cutting back even further this year. Not because we can’t afford it, we are both working. We’re just tired of going out and forcing ourselves to spend a bunch of money on each other just for the sake of “tradition.”

UltimateBob on November 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

tommyhawk on November 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

how’s the weather in Council Bluffs today tommy? 80s here.

DanMan on November 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Wait, there are people who actually trust the media to report accurately?

oryguncon on November 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Two foxes and one chicken decide what’s for dinner.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

bw222 on November 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

she must be stunning!

DanMan on November 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Fair points all.

Let’s look, then, to the Congressional Budget Office and see what they say. PDF warning.

Congressional Budget Office warns recession looming

A recession is coming, regardless of what Congress does or does not do vis a vis the ‘Cliff.’

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Yes, what idiot would blame the massive deficits, new unfunded entitlements, miserable growth, high unemployment and drop in median incomes on Obama?

Chuck Schick on November 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Wait, there are people who actually trust the media to report accurately?

oryguncon on November 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Apparently it gives bloggers “gravitas”

bernverdnardo1 on November 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The parasite class President economics are rather very simple:

“Tax and spend, take money from the producers and give it to the parasites”… Of course this will only lead to disaster as it lead to disaster everytime it was tried before here and everywhere else…

Regarding the past few days shopping I watched some videos of the shopping and it is very clear to me that many of the shoppers are parasites spending tax payers money that was given to them by the government… Stealing from Peter (the producers) to pay Paul (the parasites) is going to produce an economic disaster and already produced an economic disaster in the last 4 years… The worth is yet to come…

mnjg on November 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Get yours, free.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’m worried about future interest rates, and need to get all my remaining debt cleared, if I can, so I didn’t participate. I’m glad lots of people had free cash.

People are probably tired of living under the gun, too. It’s been a while since they could just go shopping. It’s not like we’re clear or anything — but people will be people.

Anyone else noticing the line in the middle widening? The people below it getting further and further away from pointless Apple Mac-n-Cheese products, the people above it buying multiple colors to go with different outfits?

Axe on November 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Alpha did you address inflation?

CW on November 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I didn’t buy anything this weekend except for a new wheel for my wheelbarrow.

Initially I’ll use it to clean out the cow barn. In the future it will come in handy if I go shopping for a loaf of bread.

moo on November 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Plus one to this. We went through this exact same song and dance last year – there were initial claims that Christmas spending was way up, and then it turned out that in fact spending was not quite as “up” as the wild initial claims made.

It does amuse me though to see the usual liberal suspects crawl out of their wormholes to cheer this stuff, it just makes them look more foolish when the revised numbers downward are inevitably released in January.

Doomberg on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I went around breaking windows this past weekend. I figure at $500/window, and 7 windows broken, I just poured $3500 into the economy. Now, imagine if everyone did their part and broke 7 windows?

keep the change on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

So much for freedom in AmeriKa.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

And these parasites are spending the producers money given to them by the government… I bet you that 10 to 20 billion dollars of the money spent in the last few days is taxpayers money given to the parasites to spend by the government…

mnjg on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

May all the Looters (as in bad Rand characters) and theirs be starved and destroyed.

May all the foolish moochers be hungry, in the dark/cold, in their modern day plantations.

Your Looters, the Obamas at the top of the chain, hate your guts, fools. They love and will keep you there, you blind chickens.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Dude,
This report is ok, but it’s not a signal of euphoria. There are major, major hurdles that need to be overcome:

* The implementation of Obamacare is going to cause disruptions all over the labor market. Add on to that extensive EPA regs that are on the way and the implementation of Dodd-Frank, and there are major regulatory headwinds to growth.

* The pending increase in taxes will drain money from small business creation.

* Several States (Illinois, California, Rhode Island, etc.) are teetering on insolvency.

* We are going to see major declines in military spending –> more labor disruption.

* Federal Govt. debt is 105% of GDP and the Federal Reserve is printing $40B a month. Eventually the dam will break and interest rates are going to go up fast.

* Europe is a mess and China is seeing growth pains.

With all of those problems, why is a 13% increase in black Friday Sales (which is less than the 16% increase we saw last year), so great? Is there something that I’m missing?

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

mnjg on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Stave them. It’s the only way.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

keep the change on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Thanks! I’m in the window business (really).

moo on November 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

keep the change on November 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Makes sense to me!

In fact, you’re unpatriotic if you’re not out smashing windows.

WHY DO YOU HATE MIDDLE-CLASS WINDOWMAKERS, WINGNUTS?

/Obot

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Because Obama.

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I always see it as good news when my fellow citizens trample, kick, claw and generally assault one another to save $3 on some crappy little thing that they didn’t really want anyway.

Why? Because I’m reminded how they will act when their guvment checks stop arriving and food and other basic supplies become hard to find; it keeps me on my toes.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

+ several million

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Gift cards this year….don’t want to stand in the long p.o. lines

cmsinaz on November 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Thanks, I appreciate and respect your comments. The report, however, is projecting a recession IF the fiscal cliff is triggered:

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) anticipates a modest pace of economic expansion for the remainder of this year. But the sharp increases in federal taxes and reductions in federal spending that are scheduled under current law to begin in calendar year 2013 are likely to interrupt the recent economic progress. By CBO’s estimate, that fiscal tightening will probably lead to a recession in 2013 and to an unemployment rate that remains above 8 percent through 2014.

See also http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324439804578107280483982220.html.
Gotta run for now, take care.

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Stave them. It’s the only way.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

If you missed the “r” accidentally it still works.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yes – you’re missing that OBAMA CAUSED THIS MODEST INCREASE, AND HE HAS SAVED THE ECONOMY BECAUSE OF IT. AND YOU DIDN’T. OR SOMETHING.

It’s hard to keep track of the stupid things these people say and do every day, but it’s not hard to ‘think’ like them.

Their aims are purely political, and are not in any way geared towards helping people other than their own constituents. And if they have to drive the economy over a cliff, so be it. If they have to loot the productive sector to do it, so be it. If they have to break a few eggs to make their Utopian omelette, so be it.

You’re expendable in their grand designs, and don’t you forget it.

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

If you missed the “r” accidentally it still works.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Heh, missed it by mistake, but it’s all good, good one!

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Stave them. It’s the only way.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

If you missed the “r” accidentally it still works.

Bishop on November 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Damn. :) I was too slow. I was about to ask.

Axe on November 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

One last quick point: My main argument was not about whether the economy is good or bad (although I think it’s improving). My point was that on Hot Air, good news is viewed with skepticism and suspicion, and bad news is greeted with open arms. That’s not right.

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

obama was re-elected… thus we were saved! Praise be to Lord obama…

sandee on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Damn. :) I was too slow. I was about to ask.

Axe on November 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You need to do both. It was Fruedian.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Welcome to politics as Democrats played them during the Bush years.

Sauce for the goose.

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Don’t break too many windows. I’m shorthanded after laying off a few employees that I’m positive voted for Obama.

moo on November 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That’s not right.

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Just look in the mirror for how much is not right from the left.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

13% huh? That’s right in line with inflation the stealth tax.

kregg on November 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Fake good news about the economy is viewed with skepticism…

mnjg on November 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

moo on November 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“That’s not right” — Alpha_Male

But it’s totally ok. If any of you own a business, fire a few millennials. They brung Obama, twice.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I’m also in a unique position that I know who a lot of my end customers are well ahead of time. Since I quote projects, I do some web searches for their political contributions. I have a new line on my pricing sheet titled “Democrat tax”.

moo on November 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Speaking of “good news” – has Obama denounced the power grab of Morsi, yet?

That Arab Spring blooms beautifully across: Egypt, Iran, Libya, Gaza, Turkey and etc.

Name me one people who are free, due to Obama. Pls. don’t name the Black Panthers and Burma. I know about the former and he had nothing to do with the latter.

Schadenfreude on November 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

RogerB, are you listening? This guy has some ripe, tasty nuggets for your troll comment archive.

This particular comment would come in handy the next time the left tries to blame Bush for the housing market collapse, etc.

UltimateBob on November 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Good Lt on November 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Politics in the 21st Century is all about scape-goating. GWB had many faults, but his worse fault is that he took responsibility for sh*t and always shared credit for good things. I can’t say much positive about BHO, but I do admire his ability to always find someone else to blame for sh*t and to gloat at any shiver of good news.

BTW – no one is being helped by these policies…the ones that think they are being helped just don’t see the train coming at them yet.

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Because the piper has yet to be paid on all these insane and irresponsible monetary/fiscal policies. So count me in as skeptical that any good news is a blip on the road to all this getting sorted out.

Be sure, none of this makes me happy.

Chuck Schick on November 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

2000-2008.

Washington Nearsider on November 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

And expect more of it from me. The media is so in the tank for obama that I don’t trust a word of any so called “good news.”

sandee on November 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

At Hot Air, there is a general realization that, to the extent that there are shivers of sustainable economic good news, it’s hapening despite of what the idiots in Washinton are doing, not because of them.

Deafdog on November 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Wait, is that a violin I hear? You and your ilk spent 8 years minimizing every shred of good news (remember when 300,000 jobs/month was weak?), so spare us the crocodile tears.

Besides, a good shopping weekend after Thanksgiving isn’t going to mean much in the grand scheme of things, so touting this as some Great Success Story is lame. ‘Yay for more people spending more to pay higher prices on stuff!! We’re back, baby!!!’ Then again, under Obama there hasn’t been much to crow about, so you’re somewhat forgiven for grasping any straw you can.

changer1701 on November 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Its not right, but look at how things are portrayed now, modest improvements and statistical noise are hailed as us “turning the corner” or “showing improvements, and are then downgraded in later reports, “unexpectedly”. Statistics are massaged to get better results, unemployment,labor participation,etc, and to be fair that’s something that’s been going on longer than I’ve been alive FWIW.
It gets very tiring hearing about how we are turning the corner when we never really seem to go anywhere, people are tired of hearing the same cheer leading from the same people (MSM,WH,ETC) when nothing has really changed and we just keep going through the same motions and expecting different results.

We have been bouncing along the bottom for years, basically dancing on the basement steps, never really pulling out of the funk we are in. Point fingers and call names, but that’s how it is. And its really not going to get any better than that for the foreseeable.

I would be beyond happy if things were getting better, but they just aren’t in the “better” column yet. Consumer spending being “up” is just not a solid indicator of growth, especially when many other indicators are downward (stocks, U6, consumer confidence, debt, blah blah blah).

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

changer1701 on November 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Pretty much. It seems awful familiar to 2011-2010 when we heard “Holiday shopping up! Yay for stuff!”

Then it was revised down. And suddenly all the downward revisions were “unexpected”.

Its like the news reads its own headlines and then acts surprised when there is contrary information… Like some great Ouroboros,

Or a dog eating its own poop…

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Just can’t tolerate good news, can you?

Alpha_Male on November 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If household incomes are down…again, but household spending is up, that would mean…

Happy days are here again?

MNHawk on November 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Happy days are here again?

MNHawk on November 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hey, they all saw the first 2/3 of the MC Hammer behind the music special and if they learned one thing its that money never runs out!

Gatsu on November 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM