Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on November 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

If you think “good television” means watching Lindsey Graham and Dick Durbin agree that we need comprehensive immigration reform as soon as possible, this is your lucky day.

There might also be some quibbling over Benghazi and the “fiscal cliff.” The line-up via WaPo:

NBC’s Meet the Press: Ken Burns, documentary filmmaker; Carly Fiorina, vice chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee; Al Sharpton, MSNBC; David Brooks, New York Times; Andrea Mitchell, NBC; Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI); Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY); Rep. Peter King (R-NY); David Cote, Honeywell

CBS’ Face the Nation: Bob Woodward, Washington Post; Jon Meacham, Random House; Evan Thomas, Princeton University; Doris Kearns Goodwin, author

ABC’s This Week: Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC); Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL); Ben Affleck, actor; Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA); Matthew Dowd, political consultant; Joe Klein, Time; Ruth Marcus, Washington Post; Peggy Noonan, Washington Post; David Sanger, New York Times

Fox News Sunday: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ); Matthew Shay, National Retail Federation; John Sweeney, Fidelity Investments; Bill Kristol, Weekly Standard; Kirsten Powers, Daily Beast; Liz Cheney, Keep America Safe; Juan Williams, Fox News

CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley: Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ); Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX); Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT); Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA)

Comments

I’ll go with the mani/pedi for $50, Alex.

Key West Reader on November 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

What the hell is CNN doing bringing that certified drag-queen reject Barney Frank back into the public eye?

pilamaye on November 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Lindsey Graham?

Talks one hell of a game now and then, but when it comes down to it, he folds.

All hat, no cattle.

If he had learned to stick to simple principles, perhaps we may have avoided a huge number of pitfalls along the trail these past many years.

Dick Durban?

At least his parents had a bit of foresight when he was christened.

Al Sharpton?

Why would anyone watch anything he is scheduled to appear on? Wonder what Towanda is doing tonight?

Ben Affleck? Seriously?

John McCain? Remember back when he was respected and stood for something? Distant memories. Then he tried to show us that being a RINO (a maverick, was it?) was something that people actually admired? Been a long long time. His star faded long long ago.

John Kyl? Right up there with Lindsey. Lohan or Graham; makes no difference.

You know we are approaching the end times when it comes down to Kirsten Powers making more sense lately than all the rest of the pundits combined.

There’s your Sunday wrap-up.

Wonder what’s on over at TCM today?

:-)

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

With the exception of maybe Pete King and Ken Burns, this line up promises to be the usual Complex (rest in peace, Andrew) echo chamber.

See you at the spa KWR.

bettycooper on November 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM

All these guests and one conservative, Liz Cheney on Fox.

Gotta do laundry. Again.

ncjetsfan on November 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Lindsey Graham aka The Man With No Spine!

pilamaye on November 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM

A depressing lineup indeed. Bill Whittle provided me some much-needed therapy last night… here’s his take on where Republicans and conservatives (and Mitt Romney specifically) have gone wrong. Good stuff:

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Pole Dancer republicans and Communists…..what a lineup!

I think I’ll go clean out the pile of hog entrails behind the shed instead.

PappyD61 on November 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM

NBC delivers again: Al Sharpton, David Brooks, and Andrea Mitchell. What an outstanding brain trust. Shame they couldn’t get Ben Afleck and Snooki for the Round Table.

CorporatePiggy on November 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Trollcotting the Sunday morning gabfest again.
Will probably check in here periodically though.

22044 on November 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I’ll be busy cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer.

Wonder what’s on over at TCM today?

:-)

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Right now, Top Hat. Fabulous!

At noon, The Women. Also fabulous!

Naturally Curly on November 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

cripe…pathetic….

cmsinaz on November 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

with lindsey it;ll be susan rice the entire segment…why are you against a black female senator graham

cmsinaz on November 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Very good analysis. Nothing worth watching.

Vince on November 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I saw that a few days ago. It is good.

Night Owl on November 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

One of the Powerline guys called Lindsay Graham the “Arlen Specter of the South.”

And then added, “But then, I am insulting a dead man.”

Wethal on November 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Did you see this one?

Night Owl on November 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Well, no Axelrod, Gibbs, Cutter, Messina, or Bill Burton. Silver linings?

Ben Affleck? Really???

Carly Fiorina, vice chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee;

Uh, why is someone who lost her one campaign on this committee?

conservative pilgrim on November 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

And then added, “But then, I am insulting a dead man.”

Wethal on November 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Wow, that’s pithy.

22044 on November 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Just when I was starting to like Lindsey again. This always happens.

JellyToast on November 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This is totally off thread but as we went down I95 to Daytona on Friday, there is a huge Caterpillar operation and on the tallest part of the building they had a big sign that said “WE BUILT THIS”. I assume they are as thrilled with the election outcome as the rest of us. /

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I’ve written both my senators that you don’t give citizenship to people who break the law. No answer back yet.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

We are DOOMED

Philo Beddoe on November 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

It is great to see you posting again..I hope everything is going well for you..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

LoLz..I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I think I’ll watch the NCIS reruns on USA, instead.

kingsjester on November 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Whose hand was that on David Brook’s inner thigh?

sartana on November 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Airdrop Susan Rice. So she can see for herself.

Dick Durbin too.

I hate these people.

Graveyards are filling up with their stupidity.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:15 AM

This sentiment, this element, so to speak, in and among the GOP (“we need comprehensive immigrstion reform”) is infected with something: attitudinally, academically, intellectually, perceptually, ethically AND politically.

As to Durbin, he’s always been more eager for more communism than he is and has been for a credible Republic.

Lourdes on November 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

The isles of misfits.

I’ll be cleaning out the rain gutters.

Mr. Arrogant on November 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I would give anything,, absolutely anything, to just meet chuck schumer. Just once.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My two senators are among the Far Left, and Democrats. There’s no point in writing to mine about much of anything except to laud them for their propaganda — even calls to their office to try and express an opinion (mine, as a voter) results immediately in their staffs lecturing me on the latest Democrat Propaganda Points. They’re useless as Senators to my concerns and interests.

And, as to the issue of “comprehensive immigration reform,” something has infected the current CONGRESS — ALL OF THEM — that is driving them to speak nonsense while pursuing devastation for the rest of us. I mean that quite sincerely.

What they’re pursuing is a manipulation of the terms (and why it’s propaganda, because of that): “citizenship” they can claim is not being “granted” BUT they’re “granting” even more than citizenship when the price tags and liabilities assumed by our nation are counted up. So they can excuse themselves, Congress can, claiming they’re NOT issuing citizenship to illegal aliens, they’re “just (name their pony-rap here).

Ever hear ANY of them explain why they “can’t” enforce our laws? Oh, “we can’t deport eleven, twelve million people” — that’s their only excuse, a rationalization that few can argue with because no one can prove it.

Lourdes on November 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I was going to add, “…with a pie” but I don’t want to suggest anyone should waste good pie.

Lourdes on November 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

There’s your Sunday wrap-up.

Wonder what’s on over at TCM today?

:-)

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Sadly, I have to agree with you. If the Republican Party doesn’t become the conservative party, James Carville’s prediction will be accurate. It is in their hands now, and I doubt they are going to give up any power.

lea on November 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Lourdes on November 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

rofl..Good one..Although I would pass entirely..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

who gave the Stand Down order, COL Jessup?

ted c on November 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM

You can take your “fiscal cliff”and shove it.

You call it “revenue”. I call it my money.

And I’m at the point where you are going to have to pry it by force to pay for your bullshit.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM

yegads, not one show is worthy of the electricity it would consume.

GrannySunni on November 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Boy, the “disappearing” conservative voice is really pronounced today. I guess we can watch ultra-squish Bill Kristol blubber “sure, the Tea Party wants to raise taxes,” and “I’m still hoping there’s a chance democracy will flourish in Egypt.” And Flimsy Graham calling for Comprehensive New Democrat Voter Recruitment should be entertaining as well.

TarheelBen on November 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Will SOMEone PUHLEEAAZZZZE ask Graham and Durbin this:

“So, why CAN’T we ‘deport illegal aliens’? That’s the legal penalty, after all, that’s the law. Why ‘can’t’ it be enforced?”

Lourdes on November 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

there’s no better sign that the gop is finished than graham and mccain.

oink all you want statist pigs. we are through with you.

renalin on November 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Night Owl on November 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

So good. That boy can talk!

MT on November 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood, but I’d even smack the crap outta peggy noonan.

Idiots. We are governed by idiots. And every sunday idiots appear on the TV to talk about idiots.

As God is my witness, I will rid my life of this nonsense.

I don’t want to be a part of it anymore. I’ll live in the woods and kill stuff to eat.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

“What could go wrong?”

What could go wrong has gone wrong. The conservative movement is infested with liberal operatives like Graham.

voiceofreason on November 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Bill Whittle is right, conservatism always wins. The Republican Establishment will never back a real conservative.

lea on November 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I wonder if Ben Affleck knows how to gut a deer?

Somehow, I doubt it.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Gunshop opens at 9.

wolly4321 on November 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM

its really going to suck, having rice as secretary of state. but the dems played the black and oppressed polka, so ya know the gopes gotta dance.

renalin on November 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

“Free speech is a great idea, but we’re in a war.” -Lindsey Graham

Can’t see his picture or hear his name without thinking of that gem.

Akzed on November 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM

What a bunch of elistist, career politician, narcississtic, morons….. no wonder OUR country is sliding backwards with these kind of idiots in power. And the brainless twits that put them there, don’t have a freaking clue.

ultracon on November 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Any Republican that does not open his or her remarks with a scathing rebuke of the Washington Post should be drummed out of the party for falling asleep on guard. Let’s get some fighters in there instead of the get-alongs.

drunyan8315 on November 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

lea on November 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM

No it doesn’t, that’s the problem. The American people have been given the option and conservatism/traditionalism/free enterprise has been rejected in favor or leftism/socialism/stateism. Whittle still thinks if we just speak the truth and refine our message people will support us via elections. It’s nonsense. Speak the truth about conservatism, I got no problem with it, but don’t be naive enough to think this is our problem when it comes to elections. Whittle is just trying to sell a form of populism that may fire up some people, but it won’t win elections. We’re at the point, I don’t think anything will.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Someone should ask Bob Woodward how many showers it took to get the small off, or has he simply avoided going into the office?

drunyan8315 on November 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Someone should ask Bob Woodward how many showers it took to get the SMELL off, or has he simply avoided going into the office?

drunyan8315 on November 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

¡Fabulosimo!

Akzed on November 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

i think its time for a populist. for once. a true conservative. lets give it one chance shall we. just once.

renalin on November 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

renalin on November 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

No problem with that..We have a very deep bench..Maybe some of them will run..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I never voted in a primary for whom the “Republican establishment” told me to vote. I don’t recall anyone in the booth with me except one of my kids.

He is completely correct: with the entire media in the Left’s pocket, we lost by a couple million votes out of over 100m cast. A candidate that could frame the message in terms Whittle used have might generated turnout Romney was not temperamentally capable of generating.

What’s your solution?

Akzed on November 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Al Sharpton? Well everything else about the country is a joke so…

bluesdoc70 on November 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Whittle’s web site is not exactly up to date…

Akzed on November 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Lindsey Graham . . . blah, blah, blah, blah . . . blah . . . and furthermore, blah, blah, blah, blah. If this is the best mouthpiece the Republicans can muster then we are all doomed.

rplat on November 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Lindsey Pumpkin Head

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Dick Durban?

At least his parents had a bit of foresight when he was christened.

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

LOL, I call him the aptly named, Dick Durbin.

Didn’t you recently have surgery? How are you doing?

Jvette on November 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Trollcotting the Sunday morning gabfest again.
Will probably check in here periodically though.

22044 on November 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM

…yep!…the MSM can die!…that includes FOX for the most part…who everyone thinks is some “right wing” news organization…what a joke that JugEars always has to even call out a “fair and balanced” station at every opportunity!…if everyone isn’t wearing knee pads for progressivism!…The present media can die!

KOOLAID2 on November 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Dick Durban?

At least his parents had a bit of foresight when he was christened.

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

LOL, I call him the aptly named, Dick Durbin.

Didn’t you recently have surgery? How are you doing?

Jvette on November 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

…obviously back to his old self!…I’m just surprised he used the word ‘foresight’ instead of ‘foreskin’!

KOOLAID2 on November 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Bill Whittle is right, conservatism always wins.

lea

Sorry, but no. A crappy candidate will lose even if he/she is a strong conservative.

lowandslow

When did that happen? They certainly weren’t given that option in the last election. Did you even watch the video?

xblade on November 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Jvette on November 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Thank you, and all, for your good wishes and prayers.

Have undergone two major surgeries already with additional cutting and pasting being scheduled. Head back to the medical land of Oz tomorrow. [The U of Michigan Medical Center is HUGE...really big.]

All the life-threatening stuff seems to have been taken care of, and the overall prognosis is good.

Have an unlimited supply of some really super pain meds. Wish I had a couple bottles of this stuff way back when. Coulda paid for tuition. :-)

Can’t post as much as I’d like. Can’t sit up too long, and typing on a keyboard…well, what’s that dragon software stuff they advertise? Like to use that, but can’t speak very well, either.

In the meantime…imagine waking up after nearly six hours in surgery on Election Day to find out that Obama won…talk about your Twilight Zone nightmares.

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Ok that was funny. Good opener AP.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

KOOLAID2 on November 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

What’s not to like about the Ministry of Disinformation? I hate them too. Well hate is bad. I strongly double unlike them.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I hope everything goes well for you in the future.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Thank you, and all, for your good wishes and prayers.

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the update. Please take care of yourself first. Best continued wishes!

22044 on November 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

So long as McCain and Reid are not in a creche, in diapers/Depends, the land is scroomed royally.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Hang in there..Wishing you the best..:)

PS..It is good to see you posting..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Where’s an EMP Device when you need one?

Another Drew on November 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

xblade on November 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yes I watched the video, most you people are still under the delusion that GOP has a message problem. Where’s your evidence? We just got our ass whupped and the mantra from the right is, gosh darn it we just aren’t conservative enough in our message. There’s no truth to that what so ever.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

What’s your solution?

Akzed on November 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Solution? There’s no more of a solution for us then there is for any other country in the world. This is not the same nation as it was fifty or even twenty-five years ago. What makes you think there’s a solution?

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

So glad you are doing better. The land doesn’t deserve men like you. Hang in there coldwarrior and all the best for the next step/s.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I don’t understand why conservatives and Republicans continue to pander to the MSM. Giving them interviews and appearing on their shows is worse than pointless, it is counter-productive.

I’m not a big Newt fan, but he seems to be the only one who understands that the MSM are our enemies, and has the wit and the courage to go on the attack rather than pretend these scumbags are anything other than enemy propagandists.

I say stop engaging them to the maximum extent possible. Stop appearing on their shows, refuse interviews, just ignore them.

The rest of us need to stop watching their shows, and not just their news shows. Stop patronizing their sponsors. Don’t cry “Boycott!”, JUST IGNORE THEM!

novaculus on November 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

coldwarrior, our nightmare has just begun, but we will survive, though life will be very different.

I hope and pray that you return to good health very quickly. It’s good to see you here, however often or rare that may be.

Jvette on November 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

We have prescreening?
Fine.

IlikedAUH2O on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Have a great day everyone.

Am off to church.

Jvette on November 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

coldwarrior on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

…good luck with the next surgery bud!…(the meds might be good for more than just the physial pain!)

KOOLAID2 on November 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

novaculus on November 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

…look who is always appearing!…the senile Senator…and the blah blah girl from Carolina…unless they are going to contest what propaganda the MSM wants to discuss that week like Newt will do ‘at times’…stay the fluke off these stations…TELL THEM WHAT “YOU” WILL DISCUSS!

KOOLAID2 on November 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Good stuff: http://blip.tv/davidhorowitztv/bill-whittle-6444929

MT on November 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I heartily disagree. Good stuff, indeed!

OUT OF THIS WORLD, AMAZING, DON’T MISS IT, FREAKIN’ UNBELIEVABLE GREAT STUFF!

Thanks for sharing!!

I’ve loved his essays for years, and his videos more recently – hard to believe he is even a better speaker than he is a writer!!!

fred5678 on November 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Ronald Reagan should be mocked by the Right for his original folly of “Immigration Reform Amnesty”.

Only by vilifying Reagan is there any hope of rallying any Democrat voters to oppose this new, national-suicidal “Immigration Reform” push.

This reform will be the end of America.

We will inherit the Balkan Republics of Crapistan.

And the pimps who bought it upon us will be licking new boots and praising new lunatics.

Thanks Dem destroyers and GOP enablers.

profitsbeard on November 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Isn’t it time for the the likes of McCain, Graham, Boehner, McConnell be sent packing. They have no courage, are the ultimate crony capitalists, and have absolutely no connection with the Conservative grassroots.

Do you think Obama would mind if we put them under his bus along with all the other political waste from the last 4 yeas?

Sparky5253 on November 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Not going to happen as long as the Tea Party runs raving lunatic nutbags against them.

Mr. Arrogant on November 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM