Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on November 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

The full statement from the State Department’s Victoria Nuland is below:

The decisions and declarations announced on November 22 raise concerns for many Egyptians and for the international community. One of the aspirations of the revolution was to ensure that power would not be overly concentrated in the hands of any one person or institution. The current constitutional vacuum in Egypt can only be resolved by the adoption of a constitution that includes checks and balances, and respects fundamental freedoms, individual rights, and the rule of law consistent with Egypt’s international commitments. We call for calm and encourage all parties to work together and call for all Egyptians to resolve their differences over these important issues peacefully and through democratic dialogue.

***

“What I am working to achieve is political and economic stability. This is what I want,” Morsi told his followers at the palace. “I am not worried about the presence of opposition. I am careful to allow a strong opposition that will strictly monitor me. My decisions were aimed at preserving our nation, our people, and the revolution.”…

“I don’t like, and don’t want, and there is no need, to use exceptional measures,” Morsi said. He hinted that members of the judiciary and Mubarak-era officials “are gnawing the bones of the nation” and they “must be held accountable.”

“The state is crumbling. The law is being completely sidestepped. We are now a lawless country,” said protester Nermin Tahoon. “Morsi disguised the revolution’s demands into a twisted package so he could assume all power. Since when was he a revolutionary? He’s barely a reformist. He simply wants power for him and his followers.”

***

Assailants attacked the hundreds of protesters who marched on Egypt’s High Judiciary Court in downtown Cairo to protest against Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s recent decree granting himself near-absolute powers, including freeing his decisions from judicial review and ordering retrials for former top officials, including his predecessor, the deposed Hosni Mubarak.

The protesters gathered in front of the High Court as members of the Judiciary General Assembly mulled measures to oppose Morsi’s highly-controversial decree.

They chanted “the people demand the downfall of the regime” and “Freedom, Bread, the dissolution of constituent assembly,” in reference to the embattled Islamist-dominated constitution writing body.

***

In a statement, the Supreme Judicial Council called his move “an unprecedented attack on the independence of the judiciary and its rulings,” and called on him to reverse it.

Judges and prosecutors in Egypt’s second city Alexandria have gone on strike in protest, saying they will not return to work until the decree is reversed.

The BBC’s Jon Leyne in Cairo says the response of the judges has been tough, if fairly predictable.

There had been reports that the council was about to disband the constituent assembly for a second time, he added, a move that could seriously derail the transition to democracy and further delay new parliamentary elections.

***

The judges’ council’s stand against the president sets the ground for an uneasy alliance between former regime officials and activist groups that helped topple Mubarak’s regime and have in the past derided those officials as “felool,” or remnants.

The presidents’ opponents nonetheless see the judiciary as the only remaining civilian branch of government with a degree of independence, since Morsi already holds executive power and as well as legislative authority due to the dissolution of parliament…

[Morsi] removed on Thursday the country’s longtime attorney general, widely seen as a Mubarak holdover who did not effectively pursue the many cases against former regime officials accused of corruption, and ordered the retrial of former officials if new evidence against them is brought forth.

The ousted attorney general, Abdel Maguid Mahmoud, appeared before the judges’ club on Saturday — his first public appearance since Morsi’s decree. He was greeted by raucous applause and cries of “Illegitimate! Illegitimate!” in reference to the president’s decision, and read out a statement saying judicial authorities are looking into the legality of the president’s decision to remove him.

***

“There is no room for dialogue when a dictator imposes the most oppressive, abhorrent measures and then says ‘let us split the difference’,” ElBaradei said in an interview with Reuters and The Associated Press after talks with opposition figures.

ElBaradei, who said he expected to be coordinator of a new opposition National Salvation Front, said Morsi’s declaration threatened Egypt’s troubled transition to democracy and actions were needed to stop a “cycle of violence”…

“I am waiting to see, I hope soon, a very strong statement of condemnation by the US, by Europe and by everybody who really cares about human dignity,” ElBaradei said, speaking from his villa on the outskirts of Cairo.

***

Perhaps the highest priority is to take over the court system by appointing Islamist judges. During the late Mubarak regime, judges were among the most courageous of dissidents, issuing decisions the government doesn’t like. After the revolution, judges gave rulings against the Brotherhood’s goals, for example, saying that the election of parliament—which is three-quarters Islamist—was illegal. Mursi wants to reverse this ruling by decree rather than face new elections where Islamist vote totals will probably plummet.

The other key institutions are the armed forces, where top generals have already resigned, and the religious establishment. While the chiefs of Egypt’s religious system, including the powerful mosque-university al-Azhar, are hardly liberal, they are also not systematic Islamists or Brotherhood supporters. Once such people are replaced with loyalists, the Brotherhood will have the power to define Islam itself…

The Egyptian regime’s cooperation on a Gaza ceasefire, then, was in large part intended to defuse any reaction against its movement toward dictatorship at home. It is doubtful, for example, that the Obama administration will condemn the new decree giving Mursi total power in the country. And Egypt will get almost $10 billion in aid from the United States, European Union, and International Monetary Fund, even as it becomes a repressive, Islamist state.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

kim roy on November 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I agree with you.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

The overlords from the R-enemy-camp

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Yep. We are the patriots and they are the Judas loyalists to the crown vying for scraps of power for 30 pieces of gold.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM

The FakeCons™ will always stab your eyes out.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Axe on November 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I, too, am intrigued by Cozmo’s literary teaser. I had a similar problem with the Gothic Fiction/Fantasy novel I’m currently polishing. There had to be a great many flashbacks, it seemed, in order for one of the primary characters to slowly reveal a key back story element. I wasn’t comfortable with the repeated flashbacks, either, so decided to eliminate most of them, condensed the information by means of rewriting the back story in a more condensed form, and was able to distill them down to a few key moments. It works very well. It was a matter, in the end, of rethinking the back story in a way that allowed me to get the critical information out in fewer strokes. I went with ‘show me, don’t tell me’, cut the dialogue and used imagery to get a lot of information across.

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Good evening, SWalker! Nice to see you, too! :) How have you been?

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Well, you know… Muddling through… o_O

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

What makes you think us boys are wearin’ pants?

cozmo on November 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You’re into wearing “kilts”?

I never would have suspected.

listens2glenn on November 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Solaratov on November 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Wow, now that’s a kilt!

I’m learning some great new stuff at HA, tonight. : )

listens2glenn on November 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Aren’t we all? I’m glad your here. How’s the partner’s car coming?

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Tango Roxanne

It’s Saturday night! Tango! :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

*sigh*

Exposition will rise again! :)

The overlords from the R-enemy-camp

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Could only scan it. It’s not willful blindness, just tired of being grossed out. :)

Axe on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Aren’t we all? I’m glad your here. How’s the partner’s car coming?

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

At the moment it’s not, he was rearranging his garage, and dropped his compressor on himself… Broke his leg just above the ankle, so not much is getting done right now…

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Vorfreude, schönste Freude

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I’m seriously sorry to hear that! I hope he recovers swiftly and completely.

Look at the bright side. It wasn’t your leg! :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I like watching those tango dancers; well the girl dancers mostly.

Thanks Classy Jackie.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Look at the bright side. It wasn’t your leg! :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

ROTFLMAO… No kidding… So while I am right now totally disgusted with politics and the car is going nowhere I posted a new entry to my blog… :wink wink:

Doriangrey’s Seven alarm Salsa, or when wimpy Salsa just isn’t an option.

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

That was beautiful! :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I like watching those tango dancers; well the girl dancers mostly.

Thanks Classy Jackie.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Bah…You just like watching girls period… :p

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

You’re welcome, Spark. I think tango dancers are wonderful, too. :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Wow! That would likely kill me… or at least all of my taste buds! Do people really eat that salsa? I’m afraid I’m one of the ‘wimpy’ types. lol!

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Argentine Tango/Milonga

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Waltz No.69 – Chopin (Dyens)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I agree with you.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Thanks :)

If the GOP had half her fight they might have actually won.

kim roy on November 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’m seriously sorry to hear that! I hope he recovers swiftly and completely.

Same here

Look at the bright side. It wasn’t your leg! :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Or his car :)

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

That was amazing! I couldn’t take my eyes off of their legs and feet! They were really well matched! I bookmarked it. :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM

That’s true! lol!

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hey I really like your blog. Good articles. You know a lot of interesting historical things. Way cool.

Check out SWalkers blog by clinking his blue name.

When you click a hyperlink I call it clinking.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Assassin’s Tango – John Powell

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Doriangrey’s Seven alarm Salsa, or when wimpy Salsa just isn’t an option.

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Capsicum is healthy and helps with losing weight…but yours can kill :)

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

True Love – Armik

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Gipsy Tango

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Lishchenko Sing’s Strok’s tango under Nazimova’s Portraits

Alla Nazimova was a famous actress. She purchased an estate, 7 acres and hacienda, on Sunset Boulevard, and named it ‘The Garden of Alla’ and stars and others came there to cavort. She had the first pool with underwater lighting… and people thought that was scandalous since the body could be seen clearly at night. She built bungalows on the property and people had illicit affairs there, assignations, etc.

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Doriangrey’s Seven alarm Salsa, or when wimpy Salsa just isn’t an option.

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Capsicum is healthy and helps with losing weight…but yours can kill :)

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Well, it is hot, no doubt about that, but “IF” you are a Salsa fan you will find that it is a very delicious Salsa. Plus, if the Habanero Pepper’s scare you, you can leave them out and that take a lot of the heat out of it without really hurting the flavor… ;)

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM

“”Tchernye glaza” tango – Lishchenko

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM

How’s the partner’s car coming?

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

SWalker on November 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

OUCH . . . . . . . I hate it, when that happens. : (

listens2glenn on November 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Tango en Skai – Dyens

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM

SWalker, you might want to change one word

Provided you remove the seeds as the receipt calls for

Leaving out the hot little one might be a good idea. It’ll still be plenty firey.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Reliquias Porteñas

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM

In A Sentimental Mood – Reinhardt

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

And, SWalker, it does sound like a very good salsa.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I think that salsa would enable tango dancers to be even more hot.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM

When you’re smilin’

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM

LOL! Is that possible? Wouldn’t they risk melting the ‘ice’ of the ‘fire and ice’? :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bailing for good. Night everyone!

I’m going to go jump in the hammock with Rosalind while I still have the energy. She’s pretending to be a man for protection, but she’s tricked Orlando into treating her like his love, Rosalind — actually her, but he doesn’t know that — in order to cure him of his love sickness. I have no idea how things are going to turn out. I suspect things will turn out just like they turned out the last 500 times I read it — but you can’t be too careful. If I was ever going to cheat on Viola, it would be with Rosalind . . . but, like Orlando says, virtue is no horn-maker, and Rosalind is wise.

Be that as it may.

Great to see you on the boards a bit, Jackie!

I think that salsa would enable tango dancers to be even more hot.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM

lol — this joke is more of your doing Spark. :)

Axe on November 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Jalousie – Cugat

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Axe on November 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Goodnight, Axe! I know you’re safe in Rosalind’s embrace. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 2:01 AM

0bama is takin’ notes.

cozmo on November 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No. obama told him how to do it.

American Dream 246 on November 25, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Raindrops – Chopin

I leave you with this and bid you all a goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon. :)

thatsafactjack on November 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

A shame Ambassador Stevens didn’t live to witness this glorious Barack Obama Arab Spring success.

Speech! Speech!

profitsbeard on November 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Hey BMore, how are your whirligigs?

I bet Cindy is with her puppies and OC will check in to see about the thread count.

SparkPlug on November 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

We are in the End Times…………

This is not something to be “cheering” or celebrating.

williamg on November 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Just think of it as a horizon-to-horizon free fire zone.

Release your inner Horsemen.

Seriously……

Solaratov on November 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Spiritual attitude-adjusting point taken. Thanks…..I needed that.

williamg on November 25, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Okay, solar – I found something to cheer me up….maybe I can sleep, now:

williamg on November 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Well looky here I’m dropping in while all y’all left.
Still at the folks’, trying to sort out the mess.. things are brutal. Dad not doing well, and Mom not either.
I miss Louisiana. Need a brother to come here and take over the watch.

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Well looky here I’m dropping in while all y’all left.
I miss Louisiana. Need a brother to come here and take over the watch.

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Sorry CL, been there, done that…prayers for better times ahead..speaking of La., just had me one FINE meal at Steamboat Bills in Lake Chas. couple nites ago…

hillsoftx on November 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Prayers and best wishes for you and your family..:):)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Anytime there is a war on Israel you gotta look elsewhere for the reason.

tomas on November 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

I’m sorry times are so rough for you and your family. I wish I was a brother who could take over for a bit. Try to make this a time you will cherish when you think back on it. Easier said than done I am sure. You are in my prayers.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

cane_loader on November 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Prayers ascending for you and yours.

kingsjester on November 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Our Democracy has a built-in power sharing with losers and the ability to come back into power if the other side becomes unpopular. If you believe in Sharia then you really can’t see God’s law being voted out. The tendency to go Pharoah is built-in.

Conan on November 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Now who, exactly, granted Morsi the ability to take such power?

Can anyone do this sort of thing?

It appears you don’t even need the watery tart thrusting a scimitar into your hands to proclaim yourself Emperor these days… so where is this ‘proclaim yourself dictator’ rulebook, anyways? Can we all get in on it? Or does it take a super-secret handshake to do it?

ajacksonian on November 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

cane_loader, hang in there!

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM