Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on November 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Romney wasn’t the problem.

To the extent Republicans have a problem with their candidates, it’s not that they’re not conservative enough. Where are today’s Nelson Rockefellers, Arlen Specters or George H.W. Bushes? Happily, they have gone the way of leprosy.

Having vanquished liberal Republicans, the party’s problem now runs more along the lines of moron showoffs, trying to impress tea partiers like Jenny Beth Martin by taking insane positions on rape exceptions for abortion — as 2 million babies are killed every year from pregnancies having nothing to do with rape.

Romney lost because he was running against an incumbent, was beaten up during a long and vicious primary fight, and ran in a year with a very different electorate from 1980. At least one of those won’t be true next time. But we’re not going to win any elections by telling ourselves fairy tales about a candidate who lost because he wasn’t conservative enough, articulate enough or mean enough.

***

The vast majority of those in the American middle class haven’t lost their jobs and probably don’t expect to lose them. Their economic concerns revolve around being and feeling poorer than they were and felt in 2007, being or feeling trapped in a house worth less than it was, and being or feeling trapped in a job that pays less than they thought it would by now—and in all these cases, prospects are for extraordinarily modest improvement at best.

To such people Romney had nothing to say; he stuck instead to those generalities about America being a nation of entrepreneurship that celebrates success and rewards hard work and dreaming. That’s all well and good, but many people work hard without dreaming; and it is a violation of the central conservative idea of the dignity of the individual to confuse the idea of “success” in life with purely financial success as a result of risk-taking.

Thus did the flight from content create a fatal problem for Romney. He may have thought his lack of specificity would lend him more appeal, but in the end, it made him less appealing because he offered nothing but words. The exit-poll question he lost most definitively to Obama was about which of them “cares about the problems of people like me.” Obama won it by a staggering 81–17. There was some moaning in conservative circles that this indicated a dreadful decline for America, its final Oprah-ization. That is a terrible misunderstanding. Of course politicians should “care about the problems of people like me.” The “problems of people like me” are the root of all policy. Otherwise being a politician is nothing but regulation and management.

You cannot beat something with nothing. Obama had a record that was less than nothing but a machine and an approach to victory that were more than enough to add up to something. Romney, in the end, had nothing but Obama’s nothing.

***

It is also worth noting that in states that were not considered battleground territory, Mr. Obama could still have won without a majority of the Hispanic vote. In California, Mr. Obama took the state’s 55 electoral votes with 72 percent of the Hispanic vote, but could have won with as little as 25 percent. And in Pennsylvania (20 electoral votes), where Mr. Obama received an estimated 80 percent of the Hispanic vote, he could have still carried the state with just over 37 percent.

With these five swing states, along with the safe Democratic states that Mr. Obama should have carried regardless of the Hispanic vote, the president would have reached 283 electoral votes, winning the Electoral College without needing to win a majority of the Hispanic vote in each state…

In New Mexico, Florida, Nevada and Colorado, slightly higher shares (but still less than a majority) of the Hispanic vote could have swung them to Mr. Romney, and this may well put these states in play in the next election if the Republican candidate and platform have broader appeal among Hispanic voters.

***

Low-information voters trend younger and are more likely to be unmarried. They typically remain at least nominally ‘undecided’ until the bitter end, and generally do not read or watch extensive political or news coverage. They may care about economic issues in theory, but the tax rate doesn’t impact their day-to-day existence.

This means that campaigns must develop clear, concise, and punchy messaging, and find a way to integrate it into these voters’ daily lives.

Democrats – Barack Obama in particular – go after these voters with gusto. The 2008 Obama campaign broke ground by advertising on Xbox video games, prompting thousands of stoners to get off the couch and out to the polls. In 2012, when young women visited a beauty blog, they were likely greeted with video ads of Eva Longoria or Scarlett Johansson telling them Obama was fabulous. And lest we forget the infamous ad where Girls star Lena Dunham invited her fellow young women to make their “first time” special with Barack Obama.

***

Yet aside from the folksy Reagan of humble beginnings, and these two isolated successes, no other Republican candidate has managed successfully to play the populist card, as someone who did not just pander to but actually liked the working classes. George H. W. Bush’s reelection campaign of 1992 was sabotaged by the cranky, animated populist, Ross Perot. The latter far better appealed to the third-party antecedents of the Tea Party…

Romney should have waded into blue states, especially low-income and minority areas—not because he had a real chance of winning a California, New York, or Illinois, but because he could use such occasions to remind all Americans, especially independents and conservative Democrats in swing states, that his agenda was aimed at getting the underclass jobs, empowering the lower middle classes, and giving all Americans more freedom of choice. The Romney economic message should have been aimed not just at job creators but at job seekers: smaller government, he should have argued forcefully, ensures that more people will be hired in the private sector…

Romney might have agreed to higher income tax rates not, like Obama, on those who make over $250,000, but instead on the real millionaires who make over a $1 million—and who statistically are more likely to be Obama supporters. How odd to hear Romney damned for supporting lower taxes for the 1 percent—by the 1 percent of Hollywood film stars, attorneys, and media superstars. He also could have opposed tax breaks for the very wealthy, like elite politicized foundations, and ended government subsidies for large wealthy agribusiness concerns…

Republicans will fail if they allow Democrats to promote the myth that their present alliance of the very wealthy and the poor is somehow more populist than empowering the middle and upper-middle classes. To become the true populists in our media-driven, electronically wired culture and to counter the Democrats’ art of class warfare, Republicans must not just argue for free-market solutions that help the hard-pressed middle, but they should look and talk—if not live—like them too.

***

The politics of entitlement reform may be debatable, but the math is not. The aging of the population and rising health care costs are together triggering explosive growth in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. If left unchecked, these programs will place a crushing burden on federal taxpayers, cripple states and stifle economic growth.

It isn’t moral to impose these problems on future generations. It isn’t right to cede ground to liberals and allow ever higher taxes to chase ever higher spending, while government takes on an increasingly intrusive role in people’s lives.

Conservatives cannot live in a bubble. We’re never going to realize a federal government with powers truly limited to those narrowly enumerated in the U.S. Constitution. But even if a reaffirmation of principles doesn’t entail advocating utopian political positions — such as scrapping the entire welfare state — conservatives shouldn’t allow their core beliefs be dictated by what may or may not improve the short-term prospects for Republicans. Conservatism is not a political strategy.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

And yet b9 is accused of using words that aren’t real. Hmmmm….

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I think a lot of the QOTD commentary is pumped out under the influence of drinky-drinky anyway. I can tell when Cozmo gets that way because his typos start surpassing mine. Truth be known, I’m finishing a glass of Sparkling Wine myself. The Hawkdriver Clan had a bit of a Thanksgiving celebration to boot. But as you can see, it hasn’t effected my speeling at all.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I’m baaack. No protestors @ my store.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Your like the little boy in 3rd grade that pulled my hair..
till I kicked him in the ..fun parts. Then he suddenly stopped..wonder why. ;)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Nope, I got away with that stuff far longer than third grade. I’m that good.

And the word is you’re.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

300!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

That cannot be stressed enough. But how do you bring down the media? I will soon have the time. I wish I had the talent like some of the bloggers here to start a site. We should bombard the internet with new media Conservatives.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I wish I had the dough to start an organization that would hound the media. And I don’t just mean with blogs. Be able to hire people to follow them around and post vids of them drunk, disorderly, making fools of themselves in their private lives. They love to drum up stuff about our side. How fun it would be to embarrass them into submission.

Of course, for that to work they would have to have some concept of shame, and I’m not so sure they do.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I had my annual physical on Wednesday and my doctor told me that almost every patient she has seen since the election is very distraught about the election outcome. She truly believe Obamacare is so cumbersome and unwieldy that by 2015, the people will be in full revolt over it.

So this might actually work in our favor for the 2014 midterm elections. People are going to be furious.

The craziest thing is the mandate that the insurers can’t charge more than 3 times the rate of the young people premium for the older people (pre-medicare age). So if a 20 something person say is only being charged $100 for a decent health insurance policy today, will have an obscene price increase because insurers will not reduce my $657 premium (my new rate on 12/1), down to $300 in 2014. Instead, that 20 something person will find their premium probably raised to $250, and mine will go up to $750 a month.

It makes the tax penalty a very attractive option for most people because health care premiums are now becoming almost as high as a house payment.

Everyone is going to be so screwed.

karenhasfreedom on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

….at my company…the employees don’t know it yet…but the owners will quit offering ‘their’ share…it will be much cheaper for them to pay the fines!…can’t wait to see the reactions!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Uh huh.
But..depending on the size of the company..the tax/penalties change.
I have companies already calculating.
In addition, they will lay off who they can and increase business costs to cover it if they go with it.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

And the word is you’re.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Thank you English professor.
whateverz. (not a real word)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I’m baaack. No protestors @ my store.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well duh! YOU were there. Who screws with Makos and Humboldts?

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I thought all of the commentary on QOTD was “influenced”. I thought it was a rule.

KCB on November 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM

You are quite welcome.

Anything to improve someone as lovely and unique as yourself.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Good to see you B9! Now if I could just find Jackie….. Haven’t seen Bmore either.

KCB on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Both are busy with personal stuff I believe. Not to worry.
Good to see you too.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Anything to improve someone as lovely and unique as yourself.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Nice turn around. :)
I rush to type.so many mistakes.
Nerve issue in my hand. So, I don’t sweat the small stuff.

How r u and the lady Coz?

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I’m baaack. No protestors @ my store.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

That sucks..wanted a juicy story! :)

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Supposedly the store near Tech got a few-but college students will protest anything.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

That sucks..wanted a juicy story! :)

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Brought my video camera just in case but…

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

There are a few things. We need to stop supporting the media and sponsors of the media. Here’s a link to a group that are trying to boycott the sponsors of MSDNC. Even if you don’t subscribe to that method, there are some good thoughts and worth a look see. Greg is a good man. If you do twitter their hashtag is #opslam

greg’s boycott site

Another thing is to not give clicks to the websites of places like The Slimes, Politico, HuffPoo, etc. Flora (thanks!) suggested “coolpreviews” and it works like a charm. You’ll be able to preview a webpage and read what’s on it, but not give a click.

Then, of course, not to give them our money directly. Get rid of things like HBO, liberal newspapers, don’t pay for liberal movies (there are actually ways to get around that but shhhhh), etc..

It may not seem like much, but every little bit helps.

Of course, it would be nice if the politicians were on board, but you know how that is.

Starve the beast.

kim roy on November 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You probably can’t shame them…but if you make them appear ridiculous, they cannot stand against that.

Solaratov on November 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

How r u and the lady Coz?

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

She wore her 80′s techno jumpsuit this morning while the little one was away helping her grandmother prepare for the festivities…we were almost late.
I have pictures…and video.

cozmo on November 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

It’s all academic now as to who won and why or why not. Losers mope and cry. Winners realize that in confusion and mayhem there is profit. Also, sometimes it is better for the whole ship to sink and build a new one than to try to repair the old one with band aids, sealing wax and chewing gum.

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Sarah got more votes than romney. quit obsessing. the man lost.

renalin

Speaking of obsessing, you nista cultists have that down pat.

As a point of fact, Sarah didn’t get any votes, the guy at the top of the ticket got the votes. And as another point of fact, as of today, Romney has received more votes, so even as the 2008 imaginary candidate, she received fewer votes, lol.

Hang tight though, I’m sure dumdumintn will throw out a few lame excuses, maybe a strawman or 10, and a touch of revisionist history to restore Palin’s place atop the list of the greatest imaginary candidates of all time, lol. Because that’s what cultists do.

xblade on November 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

cozmo on November 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Nice…..

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

cozmo on November 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That must be quite the outfit..
all I can say..lol

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Both are busy with personal stuff I believe. Not to worry.
Good to see you too.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I like them too, I trust they are well.

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM

So, this is a thread about why Romney lost..for the trillionth time.
10,001 theories and discuss at nausea.
Keep beating the dead horse and pass amnesty or something/

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Well I’m relieved to see that the scientists have perfected their airborne stupidity virus, and the Washington Elite are successfully spreading it over most of the country.

I swear IQs in general have dropped by at least half in the last month.

LegendHasIt on November 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I like them too, I trust they are well.

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I keep in touch with both..so I can say they are well.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I know. I am sick of seeing everybody’s take on the failure of Nov. 6th. It is done.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Bill Whittle and the GOP Stockholm Syndrome.

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Tell them I asked about them?

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Keep beating the dead horse and pass amnesty or something/

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Or just ignore the stated topic and do what usually happens in QOTD. Just remember, what takes place in QOTD…

cozmo on November 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I’m sick of it too.

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I keep in touch with both..so I can say they are well.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Great, thanks!

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

So, I lost my home this past week. Kind of nice to be free.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Brought my video camera just in case but…

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

but nada? I havent read much news..been in a shut down phase..but saw this on my yahoo mail-news updates.
Wasn’t it in certain areas this was happening?
Not your area?

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

kim roy on November 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I agree, starve it. Thanks for the link.

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

How do we bring down the media???? Hmmm. How about the novel idea that all cons, pubs, and related in all red states make a concerted effort and buy no newspapers and magazines. Just for starters. But this idea is not for talkers, it is for do-ers. Repubs are great talkers, wee wee-ers when it comes to actions. You must kill the snake at its head. This must be like the Tea Party, organized and goal focused. There must be coordination and communication daily and prop ups for the weak willed. Well, have I lost everybody?? This message if for the guy at the beginning of this thread who wants to start a blog about communication because he has the time. He says he doesn’t know how. OK, ALL YOU SMART BODIES, SHOW HIM.

AReadyRepub on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

To whom it may concern-the vote totals keep dribbling in and Romney finally passed McCain’s popular vote total 60,099,431 to 59,948.516-not that it meaning an effing thing. Just taking away a talking point.

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Starve the beast.

kim roy on November 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

…I WANT EVERYBODY!…to think like you do!

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

So, I lost my home this past week. Kind of nice to be free.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Will you be OK?

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

BTW, is low information voter the same as stupid voter??

AReadyRepub on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The funniest thing is that there was always this very nosey neighbor that would always Kilroy over the fence.

I hope she enjoys Eric Holder’s peeps better than us! And I hope Eric Holder’s peeps peep over her perfectly perfect fence.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

So sorry to hear that. I got my lay off notice effective Nov. 30th. Ho Ho Ho.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I’m curious, I’m sure Obama is still far off from his 2008 totals…but is the drop-off still around 8 million?

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I’m baaack. No protestors @ my store.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Good to hear, and that you didn’t have to go DEFCON 3 even better. But, curious as to the size of the crowd there?

TXUS on November 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I’m all in:

“I had turkey dinner, and I didn’t get any thinner.

But I’ve had a bottle of wine, and now I’m feeling fine.

So I think I’ll have a snack, and then I’m gonna hit the rack.”

G’Night.

(Yeah, I know it was bad, you don’t have to tell me. Besides, I’ll just blame booze–and Bush.)

predator on November 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

AReadyRepub on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I didn’t say I don’t know how, I said I don’t write well. I had sponsored a group of folks who did write. I paid for a site for several months up front. But it fell apart. Everyone who had these lofty goals of turning things around after the 08 loss had their own lives as well.

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Will you be OK?

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Yes, thanks for asking. I bought 1/2 acre. Peep free. And told the Obama BOA to kiss my lilly white. Keeping the utilities on as a courtesy. For the… coming deluge. Cutting off the utilities, pool, spa, etc., on 1/1/13

/sall good babes :o)

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

cozmo on November 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Cool! Wondering what happened to the tunes!
Ghost town.
One minuet thread was hopping- then silence.
I can talk to myself. But I do that enough. ;)

haha..I turned into a healthcare thread. At least I was on a relevant topic..unlike most the time.

I can check out to hotel Jackie and meet spark plug-fine by me..if I am thread killer #9.

But it was nice to see y’all for Thanksgiving night. I gotta work tomorrow so no 4 day fun fest.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I agree, starve it. Thanks for the link.

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

You are most welcome, sir.

kim roy on November 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Yeah, don’t get me started on that. Cracking a Chicken of the Sea can has the same aroma.

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Had an argument with my uncle tonight – he writes for the NYT (non-politics/news section but well respected in his field). It is amazing how a bright guy can be so utterly stupid about current events. My politically mixed family got really pissed at him because he was yelling like a madman while I cooly dismantled about all of his talking points. Pretty much went like this:

“Mess Obama inherited”, “unpaid wars” etc, etc. I compared Obama’s spending record in 4 years vs Bush in 8. I reminded him that Obama expanded the Afghan war. Reminded him of the 6 years of full employment under Bush. Reminded him of how Obama threw away a trillion on a failed stimulus. Tried to argue that it worked. Told him to stop spending so much time with that crackpot Krugman. “Nobel this, Princeton that”. Told him Nobel is a joke, citing Obama. He scoffed. Reminded him of the promised unemployment rate of 5% now on the stimulus Krugman endorsed.

It was ugly. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time he’s had his arguments so thoroughly demolished.

The Count on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I think it’s a contest between the Target singers and that K Mart “the lights the lights the lights” commercials as to which ones are the most annoying this year.

gophergirl on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

So, I lost my home this past week. Kind of nice to be free.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Oh my. Are you okay??

kim roy on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Heading out myself as well, nice to banter with many of you, as usual. Have a good night!

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

So, I lost my home this past week. Kind of nice to be free.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I am in the short sale process..I hear you sister.
Like an anchor on my neck. Waiting to be unchained like you.
I hope your well then and ready to move forward.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Good night. See you soon!

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

/sall good babes :o)

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Maybe start a garden or something for veggies? It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

The Count on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Read Matthew 24

Then you will understand what is happening.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Were you old enough to vote when Reagan ran?

INC on November 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Well, unlike John McCain, I wasn’t old enough to vote for Washington when he ran, but I was old enough to vote for Lincoln when he ran.

VorDaj on November 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I got my lay off notice effective Nov. 30th. Ho Ho Ho.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Oh man..Ken.
I am so sorry.
I hate to see so many good people getting kicked.
You will be alright ken?

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Definitely no ill will intended!

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Obama dropped about 5.3 million votes election 2.

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

LOL, I did that last year. Turned into a smorgasbord for critters. It was kind of awesome. Critters gotta eat.

Now I got a dog and a gun and 1/2 acre. No pool.

:o)

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Good Night!

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Obama dropped about 5.3 million votes election 2.

MaiDee on November 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Thanks MaiDee.

22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I should be. When I moved to TX I took a 90 day contract job. They like me because, well, I rock! Couldn’t get on full time because customers won’t commit for contracts. They extended me until now, but Policy says they won’t keep anyone on contract over a year, so..

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

gophergirl on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Why b9 only uses her dvr. No commies for me. :)
FF x4 through.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Now I got a dog and a gun and 1/2 acre. No pool.

:o)

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Well if you have a gun and critters going through your garden you have the potential for pot roast in some form.

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I got my lay off notice effective Nov. 30th. Ho Ho Ho.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Oh man..Ken.

Stay strong, please. Just stay strong. It’ll be alright.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

sharrukin on November 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Squirrel!

No, I don’t eat critters, but thanks for asking!

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I will. How are you feeling?

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:17

It was just a dud…everywhere. In one Florida city, ONE worker went on strike. She was considered to have QUIT her job. NO unemployment. Heheheheh.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Good to know.
My uncle is in the same boat but keeps managing to get another contract job.
Commutes a lot but it has worked out.
Your in TX too? lol
Lots of cool Texans here..
and gentleman..besides cozmo. ;)
I wish you blessings ken and to find something else soon.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

PS-you do rock..agreed there. :)

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

DarkCurrent on November 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

heh,heh,heh, heh,
Guess their bluff was called and they had a little thinking to do.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The Count on November 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Good for you. Sounds like you had more fun than your uncle surely did. I’m sure that, being inside the NYT cocoon, he is not accustomed to having his assumptions and presumptions questioned … or demolished.

TXUS on November 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I will. How are you feeling?

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

You know what? I’m feeling fine. Because no matter what happens, it is going to happen. And I’m okay with that. For the last 3 years I’ve been worried and fretting about all sorts of junk and I’m tired of doing that.

So, I got me a dog named Duke, left the hoity toity life, learned how to shoot and I’m doing just fine. Don’t care anymore but I sure do love everyone on Hot Air. I have evolved!

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Well, time for zzzz.
Happy Thanksgiving again!
Nice to see some old friends.
Be well and God bless you.

Spark Plug..*smooch*!
You be good now.

Night.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I wish you blessings ken and to find something else soon.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I accept those wishes with a smile, cause I know the spirit behind them is true. Thanks.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

It sincerely is Ken.
Good night and take care.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Love the name Duke. Big dog or little dog?

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Key West Reader on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

…and you are loved here!
…and KCB…you take care…you will land on your feet!

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM

What? Am I not loved too? :-) Thanks KOOL.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Spark Plug..*smooch*!
You be good now.

Night.

bazil9 on November 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

1 Smooch back from me. Ok I will be good until I figure out who the littler bird traitor informant is. I bet it’s 4Grace. I’ll get her back.

; glad you could stop in for a visit.

SparkPlug on November 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM

If there’s one thing Americans hate, it’s an out-of-touch, elitist snob.

–VDH

How on Earth did they vote for Obama, twice?

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM

coldwarrior commented today on HA. I’m glad he’s ok after the hospital/surgery.

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

What? Am I not loved too? :-) Thanks KOOL.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM

…yeah!…but you’re a guy!…I only hug you on Wednesday!…that’s hump day!…so that’s my only geh day!

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Meh, let them all starve.

Free dumb people always, always, always deserve the ‘leaders’ they vote for.

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Yeah, not into that either…..”not that there is anything wrong with that”.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Yeah, not into that either…..”not that there is anything wrong with that”.

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You’re both saved – Wednesdays are “over the hump days” not what he said.

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM

…oh oh!…not going to hit 400…unless you guys start spinning some tunes!…where’s Dire?…trying to feed Dave?
I got all three kids home from college…we are watching In the Line of Fire with Clint Eastwood…and they just reminded me it was time to take down my ‘Obama Chair’ from the front of the property…I thought it would be appropriate to let it fall apart there… for the next four years!

KOOLAID2 on November 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I’m sick of it too.
22044 on November 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

You two must be quite the success stories if you refuse to analyze and learn from failure.

besser tot als rot on November 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM

besser tot als rot on November 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Don’t worry. There are four..long..miserable (if past is, indeed, prologue)..years in which we can wallow in the minutiae of every facet of the campaign. It doesn’t have to be done immediately.

It’s nice, though, how you assume that people are failures in their personal lives if they don’t do things your way and to your standards, on your timetable.

Solaratov on November 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM

besser tot als rot on November 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM

You must be a real hit at parties and such. Your manners are very impressive. I would cordially invite you to STFU. Thank you Besser. I’m sorry, can I call you Besser?

KCB on November 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

What a disgrace to the uniform and to his country David “Lietraeus” Petraeus is.

Diana West: “Spontaneous protest, unplanned attack: That was Petraeus’ testimony as CIA director three days after U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in Benghazi, Libya.

Within 24 hours of the attack, however, the White House and top officials at the State Department, the Pentagon and the intelligence agencies knew that no protest, spontaneous or other, had taken place. They knew the U.S. had been hit on the 9/11 anniversary by a planned attack by al-Qaida affiliates. Ruppersberger’s account, then, indicates Petraeus deceived the committee. When committed knowingly, as former federal prosecutor Andrew C. McCarthy recently pointed out, such deception is a felony.

This same phony story — that “extreme groups” took advantage of a “spontaneous” protest over a YouTube video to mount an “unplanned” attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi — would be repeated by the Obama White House for two weeks, climaxing in the president’s U.N. address on Sept. 25. There, President Obama cited the video six times and declared to the world body, dominated by the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (an Islamic bloc of 56 nations plus the Palestinian Authority): “The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam.”

Blaming the YouTube video for the violence was, in effect, blaming free speech, which is also OIC policy. Additionally, it denied the reality of the planned jihad attack, which, by extension, denied that al-Qaida-style jihad terrorism still exists at the vanguard of expansionist Islam.

To date, the media haven’t asked President Obama and his top officials, why? Why the administration-wide cover-up? Why didn’t military help get to Battleground Benghazi? Without coming clean, President Obama has been re-elected, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton mentioned as a 2016 presidential candidate, and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice floated as the next secretary of state.

And Petraeus? On Nov. 12, Fox News reported that “congressional leaders,” believing Petraeus lied to them in September, had “already considered charging Petraeus with perjury, but said they planned to withhold judgment until he testified this week.” (Under oath or not, it is a crime to lie to federal officials.) We have heard no such tough talk since.”

And BTW – Diana West: “Even though it appears the former CIA director lied to the House Intelligence Committee on Sept. 14, and may have lied again to the same committee on Nov. 16, he is starting to slip out of the inner ring of Benghazi cover-up suspects. We are losing sight of his official role in the deception as the media lens ossifies over a tawdry love triangle. For this, he must be thankful. Maybe to ensure the good fortune continues, Petraeus has hired Bob Barnett, the $975-per-hour Washington superlawyer to officials with issues and/or big book deals, to manage what reports call Petraeus’ “transition to civilian life.”

VorDaj on November 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ace had a good idea here that should be looked at: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/335098.php Beyond that, it’s noteworthy that a lot of big social media sites are always run by leftists. Conservatives need to at least get into management at these companies, if not outright start their own (non-political) social media. It would help a lot if Google or Facebook was run by conservatives rather than by liberals.

Essentially there will have to be a long march through the institutions, which will take decades, and we’ll need rich conservatives willing to throw unlimited amounts of money into the projects. Currently we don’t have any that are contemplating this.

Beyond that we probably need a class of professional dirtbags to intimidate them in the same way that they intimidate reporters, politicians, business owners, etc that are apolitical or hostile. Hollywood for example is kept in line by the threat of blacklists for anyone too conservative trying to work there.

Boycotts by and large won’t work. Their “dead tree” media is fading away but the shiny new stuff, especially the online stuff, isn’t. Boycotts in general rarely tend to have lasting impacts.

Doomberg on November 23, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I think this is true. In fact when you look at the exit poll data that states that Romney lost by 81-17 on the issue of who cares about voters like me, well that has nothing to do with being mean or even conservative..or articulate. The Republican party has long been considered the party of the rich, right or wrong. That is the label and when they run against a guy like Obama they are at a huge disadvantage, no matter who the candidate is. Today’s electorate will have to learn the hard way that caring about people like me can mean higher taxes and no jobs tomorrow. They do not put the two together. They do not understand that this huge expansion of government will hurt them in the long run. All they see is someone who wants to help you vs someone who thinks you should help yourself.

Terrye on November 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM