Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on November 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Romney wasn’t the problem.

To the extent Republicans have a problem with their candidates, it’s not that they’re not conservative enough. Where are today’s Nelson Rockefellers, Arlen Specters or George H.W. Bushes? Happily, they have gone the way of leprosy.

Having vanquished liberal Republicans, the party’s problem now runs more along the lines of moron showoffs, trying to impress tea partiers like Jenny Beth Martin by taking insane positions on rape exceptions for abortion — as 2 million babies are killed every year from pregnancies having nothing to do with rape.

Romney lost because he was running against an incumbent, was beaten up during a long and vicious primary fight, and ran in a year with a very different electorate from 1980. At least one of those won’t be true next time. But we’re not going to win any elections by telling ourselves fairy tales about a candidate who lost because he wasn’t conservative enough, articulate enough or mean enough.

***

The vast majority of those in the American middle class haven’t lost their jobs and probably don’t expect to lose them. Their economic concerns revolve around being and feeling poorer than they were and felt in 2007, being or feeling trapped in a house worth less than it was, and being or feeling trapped in a job that pays less than they thought it would by now—and in all these cases, prospects are for extraordinarily modest improvement at best.

To such people Romney had nothing to say; he stuck instead to those generalities about America being a nation of entrepreneurship that celebrates success and rewards hard work and dreaming. That’s all well and good, but many people work hard without dreaming; and it is a violation of the central conservative idea of the dignity of the individual to confuse the idea of “success” in life with purely financial success as a result of risk-taking.

Thus did the flight from content create a fatal problem for Romney. He may have thought his lack of specificity would lend him more appeal, but in the end, it made him less appealing because he offered nothing but words. The exit-poll question he lost most definitively to Obama was about which of them “cares about the problems of people like me.” Obama won it by a staggering 81–17. There was some moaning in conservative circles that this indicated a dreadful decline for America, its final Oprah-ization. That is a terrible misunderstanding. Of course politicians should “care about the problems of people like me.” The “problems of people like me” are the root of all policy. Otherwise being a politician is nothing but regulation and management.

You cannot beat something with nothing. Obama had a record that was less than nothing but a machine and an approach to victory that were more than enough to add up to something. Romney, in the end, had nothing but Obama’s nothing.

***

It is also worth noting that in states that were not considered battleground territory, Mr. Obama could still have won without a majority of the Hispanic vote. In California, Mr. Obama took the state’s 55 electoral votes with 72 percent of the Hispanic vote, but could have won with as little as 25 percent. And in Pennsylvania (20 electoral votes), where Mr. Obama received an estimated 80 percent of the Hispanic vote, he could have still carried the state with just over 37 percent.

With these five swing states, along with the safe Democratic states that Mr. Obama should have carried regardless of the Hispanic vote, the president would have reached 283 electoral votes, winning the Electoral College without needing to win a majority of the Hispanic vote in each state…

In New Mexico, Florida, Nevada and Colorado, slightly higher shares (but still less than a majority) of the Hispanic vote could have swung them to Mr. Romney, and this may well put these states in play in the next election if the Republican candidate and platform have broader appeal among Hispanic voters.

***

Low-information voters trend younger and are more likely to be unmarried. They typically remain at least nominally ‘undecided’ until the bitter end, and generally do not read or watch extensive political or news coverage. They may care about economic issues in theory, but the tax rate doesn’t impact their day-to-day existence.

This means that campaigns must develop clear, concise, and punchy messaging, and find a way to integrate it into these voters’ daily lives.

Democrats – Barack Obama in particular – go after these voters with gusto. The 2008 Obama campaign broke ground by advertising on Xbox video games, prompting thousands of stoners to get off the couch and out to the polls. In 2012, when young women visited a beauty blog, they were likely greeted with video ads of Eva Longoria or Scarlett Johansson telling them Obama was fabulous. And lest we forget the infamous ad where Girls star Lena Dunham invited her fellow young women to make their “first time” special with Barack Obama.

***

Yet aside from the folksy Reagan of humble beginnings, and these two isolated successes, no other Republican candidate has managed successfully to play the populist card, as someone who did not just pander to but actually liked the working classes. George H. W. Bush’s reelection campaign of 1992 was sabotaged by the cranky, animated populist, Ross Perot. The latter far better appealed to the third-party antecedents of the Tea Party…

Romney should have waded into blue states, especially low-income and minority areas—not because he had a real chance of winning a California, New York, or Illinois, but because he could use such occasions to remind all Americans, especially independents and conservative Democrats in swing states, that his agenda was aimed at getting the underclass jobs, empowering the lower middle classes, and giving all Americans more freedom of choice. The Romney economic message should have been aimed not just at job creators but at job seekers: smaller government, he should have argued forcefully, ensures that more people will be hired in the private sector…

Romney might have agreed to higher income tax rates not, like Obama, on those who make over $250,000, but instead on the real millionaires who make over a $1 million—and who statistically are more likely to be Obama supporters. How odd to hear Romney damned for supporting lower taxes for the 1 percent—by the 1 percent of Hollywood film stars, attorneys, and media superstars. He also could have opposed tax breaks for the very wealthy, like elite politicized foundations, and ended government subsidies for large wealthy agribusiness concerns…

Republicans will fail if they allow Democrats to promote the myth that their present alliance of the very wealthy and the poor is somehow more populist than empowering the middle and upper-middle classes. To become the true populists in our media-driven, electronically wired culture and to counter the Democrats’ art of class warfare, Republicans must not just argue for free-market solutions that help the hard-pressed middle, but they should look and talk—if not live—like them too.

***

The politics of entitlement reform may be debatable, but the math is not. The aging of the population and rising health care costs are together triggering explosive growth in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. If left unchecked, these programs will place a crushing burden on federal taxpayers, cripple states and stifle economic growth.

It isn’t moral to impose these problems on future generations. It isn’t right to cede ground to liberals and allow ever higher taxes to chase ever higher spending, while government takes on an increasingly intrusive role in people’s lives.

Conservatives cannot live in a bubble. We’re never going to realize a federal government with powers truly limited to those narrowly enumerated in the U.S. Constitution. But even if a reaffirmation of principles doesn’t entail advocating utopian political positions — such as scrapping the entire welfare state — conservatives shouldn’t allow their core beliefs be dictated by what may or may not improve the short-term prospects for Republicans. Conservatism is not a political strategy.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Unfortunately the GOP is just as bad. I just don’t see how they are going to be able to run a candidate with any appeal. They want to be less generous Democrats and why would anyone vote for that?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Invest in yourself and the country wins..

That is what is lost…

And no GOP candidate can convince the Santa thumpers…

I don’t blame Romney..

He would have won many generations ago…bad timing on his part..

I blame America..

Electrongod on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I am proud of the campaign Mitt ran. I was proud to vote for him. Let me be the first to say unless someone else picks up their nuts and starts showing they can stand up to the Donks and their media lap dogs, I’d support him running again.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I understand they were designed by some Texas Yahoo…
hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You write that like its a bad thing.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I work in insurance..all hell is breaking loose..and it is dark days.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

My sister works in insurance and she says the same thing. Not good.

Fallon on November 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

She is right..hell is coming. It is a mess I have never seen in my life. I don’t even know how to explain here..so many components this will impact. All Bad.
I had a senior I was discussing a medicare supp with the other day-70 yrs old-for example..screaming what about the seniors? To pay for..you know what. People are so upset and I have no comforting words. I wanna be sick.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Have fun but keep your elbows up and out.

Fallon on November 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Indeed! :)
I arrived there and had to wait in a line of about 100 people. A couple evidently sneaked into the line and stood next to me, after I had moved up quite a few paces. I didn’t see them, but other people did and started to entreat the couple to move to the back.
When they refused, security was called and a man in a red fleece came to tell them to move to the back.
When they refused that, the policeman on duty was called and he came over to tell them to move to the back.
The woman loudly protested for a couple of minutes. The man didn’t say anything.
They finally relented and stepped out, but the woman angrily threw a small flyer into the air that she had been holding.
I have a hunch that the policeman escorted them to their car.
For a newbie going to an after-Thanksgiving sale, it was an interesting thing to see!

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I’m in more of a “how do we go forward” mode than I am a “what went wrong mode,” although I have discussed that some. State legislatures, governorships, and congressional races seem to be our best bet to fight abject, over the top leftism. I’m not optimistic about our prospects for the top office in the near term.

But I am bound and determined to survive it and make the best of it, regardless. Life is too short. Live it and love it while you can.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Anyone who believes Obama cares for them and Romney doesn’t is a moron. If Obama cared he would resign. He knows nothing about economics. There is nothing caring about 1.5 trillion dollar deficits. He didn’t care enough to attend his daily briefings. He doesn’t care enough not to tell us bald face lies.

The belief that Romney doesn’t care because he’s rich is infantile. He cared enough to run for the job. He didn’t need it. And he offered lots of concrete solutions. He would have worked his butt off for us.

Pundits on our side suck.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Are you still giving money to Hollywood, the UAW and/or the newspapers ?

Starve the Beast

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Mightily agree.

Barred on November 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

:-)

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Me a B9 snuggle in my TreeFort and watch the stars at night.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Sparky, pred, B9…just get a room already. And let me watch.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You keep an eye on the first two, and I’ll watch B9. ;-)

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I don’t blame Romney..

He would have won many generations ago…bad timing on his part..

I blame America..

Electrongod on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Sorry but I don’t buy that. We haven’t run a candidate who actually believes in conservatism for decades. The electorate is becoming corrupt and the only thing the GOP wants to do is to strive to be better panderers.

If the right won’t make the argument for their own beliefs then why should anyone support them?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM
You write that like its a bad thing.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Dude, if NC didn’t turn back red this time, we’d be selling the compound and moving your way. I would put up with all of the greenhorn BS to be in a solid red state.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My mom is 86. Since Ocare became law, she lost something called Illinois Rx? or something like that. Anyhoo. Her monthly prescription cost went from $58 a month to over $300 a month. She lives on a little over $1000 a month social security. Me and sis will help her, but it still sucks. She’s paid her dues; she’s done her part. And now she’s getting shafted. Grrrrrr.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for playing.

listens2glenn on November 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

…17 or 21 in a row…and a couple of times a baker’s dozen trying to do it again…I quit trying… it isn’t fun after posting 7 or 8 times with no one interrupting it!…you start to get an Erie feeling that Homeland Security has shut down the site…or something has happened to all your fellow Hot Air members…it’s a relief when someone breaks in!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Indeed. The 1980s when so many voting knew and had paid the cost of freedom. Educated by reality instead of owed-something rants. When so many voting were mindful of the Great Depression and toughness. Having a willingness, pride and self-respect to keep themselves afloat not seeking a lifelong government ride. Knowing where their kids were because their own parents had taken the time to know where they had been. No victim’s cards needed when mostly no excuses necessary for what they were and how productive they showed themselves to be.

viking01 on November 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Yep! Thank you..my point.
So when I see comparisons here..some don’t consider
those factors.
Yes, I am only in my late 30′s- my grandparents have also passed.
Who I learned from and their experiences and how I was raised. They lived through the great depression, WW1 WW2. Very different.
Many things..sigh.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Be patient guys..
I have nerve damage in my right hand..slow..
trying to reply. lol

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You forgot that Romney’s had horses too. Pure evil that guy.
He shoulda done the View, AND Ellen.
He shoulda hammered Benghazi and be that Pro-War candidate the USSA longs for. Bush III – let’s get those IRANians

And Romney obviously was the worst candidate Evah, because he lost by 300k votes out of 124 million votes.

You have to accept the reality you’re a minority now in Obamaworld and recycling ABR fevah is pointless.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

People will vote for the generous Santa, not the stingy Santa. If the GOP is nothing but a shadow of the Democrats then they deserve to lose.

They need to articulate a different path and they have consistently failed to do that.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

. I wanna be sick.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

…I ate too much again today and I wanna be sick!…but I feel better coming home…and seeing THAT name again!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

So who do you think the GOP should run next?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

recycling ABR fevah is pointless.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Sorry.

The AR system is a Direct Gas Impingement (DGI) system. Gas runs back directly into the Bolt Carrier Group to provide operating power. That’s why the ARs get so dirty and sometimes fail to operate “under duress”.
The REPR is a piston operated system. No gas and carbon in the BCG (or, at least, a lot less). It’s also a more reliable system; and with the adjustable gas block, I can tailor it for Normal, Adverse (dirty),single shot or Suppressor (the AAC SD-N-6) use.
However, a piston operated system is also a bit heavier, because of the extra parts. It’s a tradeoff, of sorts.

I’ve got a 7.62 Bushmaster (and a 5.56) which I really like, and which seems fairly reliable – though I’ve never pushed it hard to see what it does. I just don’t know that I’d pick it as a main battle rifle.
I’m probably going to pick up a Crusader Arms “Broadsword”, though, which – if it performs as reported – may change my mind about an AR as a main battle rifle.http://crusaderweaponry.com/
We shall see.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Maybe then the ungrateful wretches who wouldn’t vote for him will be begging to have Romney back so he can make ObamaCare into the much superior RomneyCare. sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Ain’t going to happen. We missed our chance to elect someone who has actually been very successful both in the private sector and in government. Your fantasy candidate doesn’t exist. Romney/Ryan not good enough? Not miles better than Obama/Biden? Nonsense.

You didn’t answer my question. What is it that you do for a living that deludes you into thinking we will ever find a perfect candidate?

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

4. He believed in conservatism to the point where he made persuasive arguments in its favor that hit home with average people.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Key word in bold type. We haven’t had a GOP nominee or president who really believed in it since Reagan.

A lot of lip service, but no true belief.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Or at least not being ashamed of it.

Looks like Republicans still don’t get this. We’re going to loose the next election. The professionals are still going to finesse polls, GOTV in district whatever, be nice to special interest group of the week #326, and so on. We’re going to lose with the same BS strategy. Anything’s better than choosing an actual conservative who actually believes. Yeah, looks like we’ve already lost.

Dongemaharu on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Yep. My sister is HR Director where I work. She also sits on a regional board of companies who deal with health care for their employees. She says a real mess is coming. We are keeping our current plan for 2013, but premiums went up over 10%. She has no idea what is coming in 2014, but she’s not optimistic.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

That is who I work with..is HR usually. Yes..it is 2014 that the shite hits the fan. And LOL..exchanges not even set up..no one knows a damn thing..gonna be insanity.

Sparky, pred, B9…just get a room already. And let me watch.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Ah quit it..jealous one. I heart you too. I can handle only so many of you gentlemen at once. :) I don’t do voyeur. :) Hope ur well bud.

TXUS too. a big XOXO.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

We don’t need to run a candidate that is conservative or not against an anti-American..

The Anti-Americans have spoken…

It’s the will of the voters….

And they want Greece..

Electrongod on November 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

:) Awww Kool-your the man too! Missed the name KOOLAID2 myself.
Hope your day was wonderful.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Another masochist? :)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Don’t think you’d find any “greenhorn BS” here, particularly given your creds. Hell, we even like Yankees down here, as long as they appreciate freedom and wouldn’t piss on a liberal even if he were on fire.

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

HAHA, went up to wally world to get some 223 and was denied by the crowds of bargain hunters!

Had a very nice Thanksgiving. I have the best parents in the world.

tom daschle concerned on November 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

The fact that ABR fever even existed should have been a tipoff to how weak of a candidate he was. Even in the shallow field that did run, Romney was not what the base wanted.sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

A base that fails to support a man as good as Romney against a man as incompetent as Obama isn’t the foundation upon which you can build anything. Besides, you are going third party so how is it you speak for the base?

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Yep, you’re exactly right … the GOP sabotaged his district, in essence.

That reminds me of another exquisite inconsistency I’ve noticed since the election: people squealing “Stop dumping on Romney!!!!” when many of those same people have spent the past 4 years dumping on Palin. It’s hilarious.

ddrintn on November 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

As I said, these two incidents should tell you all you need to know – the GOP needs to be flushed of these types who backstab at every opportunity. They need to be offloaded to the Dems — they can be the moderates the Dems chased away. They’re really no different; they just sometimes have a more subtle way of expressing their hatred.

PatriotGal2257 on November 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What happened?
I also went to Target and a couple was busted for cutting in the line to get in the store.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Another masochist? :)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

My parents really wanted to go so I went with them. Luckily we weren’t fighting for the TV’s so we got in and out with no scratches.

Had a very nice Thanksgiving. I have the best parents in the world.

tom daschle concerned on November 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

My sister went to Wally World with my nephews. She said unlike anything she’s ever seen. That’s why all my Christmas shopping is done online except a few small things.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

There are diff state programs through the DOI.
I dont know about Ill RX. Fl mandates and laws yes.
Yeah..thats a hell of a Hike. Yep-welcome to health reform..joke of all jokes.
The trolls squeal like pigs in delight.
Ummm..I am just waiting till this blows up.. most people have no clue. They don’t pay attention like y’all here. When something “touches someone” then they care..they have to feel it..so I a wait for the burn.
I have talked to so many idiots for the last few years..cannot even tell you. My only satisfaction..is watching them burn.
You wanted it..you got it.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

So who do you think the GOP should run next?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

That’s a really tough question. It needs to be someone who has a history of fiscal conservatism and isn’t socially liberal. There just aren’t that many in the GOP who have been all that good on fiscal matters.

I don’t know. I do know that the GOP will choose someone like Christie if they can manage it.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

We Yankees talk funny you know!

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Okay, I get it now. My oldest AR is over 30 years old and never gave me a bit of trouble (it even got dirty more than a few times).

The 9mm is blowback but other wise the same platform as her sisters.

I like the old look, but that picatinny system is working hard to convert me.

I can handle only so many of you gentlemen at once. :)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

What ever gave you the impression that any of us are gentle…anything?

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Love your comments. Agree with your facts. Almost set up my .223/5.56 Bush and Superior Arms ARs with piston return systems (Too Expensive) But … in combat and on my own range, I have literally shot thousands of rounds through the different ARs I’ve carried and own and have never had one jam for dirt or upper receiver carbon. Now, an SF NCO did shoot an entire 20 round magazine in his AR .308 with a piston return, broke down the receivers and handed me the bolt carrier and it wasn’t much more than warm. It was still clean as a whistle too. So, I’d love to have piston return on all my ARs just for the clean up, but the GunsPlus guys said the .223/5.56s don’t stand up well to them and the .308 with piston was just too expensive.

I like the ARs.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What happened?

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

My Christmas shopping has been done for over a week. Nyah, Nyah, Nyah. *ducks*

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Romney wasn’t my man. But I learned to admire him. Let’s move on.

petefrt on November 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’ll be honest, that was my first impulse after he lost. The problem is his former supporters are rushing to blame the base, rewrite history to paint Romney as some sort of ultraconservative extremist, and push through amnesty in a misguided attempt to replace the base using Hispanics as some sort of bizarro-mirror image of the black vote (since the effort to replace the base with independents failed). I’d be happy to live and let live if they’d knock it off, especially in regards to amnesty, but they won’t, so I won’t either.

This whole thing just reinforces what I believe a lot of us have suspected for a good long while now, and that you’ve mentioned yourself: these so-called “vanquished” liberal Republicans that are now controlling the party detest the conservative base more than they do the Dems. Why else would they not lift a finger to assist Allen West, for example? I don’t need to mention the continued vilification of Sarah Palin, but it’s all part of the larger problem.

A lot of these guys have actually worked deliberately to torpedo conservative candidates who otherwise might have won, such as Miller in Alaska and Allen West most recently. Sour grapes from Lugar and his old supporters likewise had Mourdock in a bad position even before he made the campaign ending gaffe.

So when a lot of these guys say priority one is to beat the Democrats, I don’t really believe them. Priority one for them is to make sure conservatives are suppressed. The “moderates” are eager to compromise with the Democrats while not giving an inch to the party base on spending, foreign policy, social policy – nothing.

What was interesting about this election is that given how the base stayed home, the liberal wing of the party is now on the receiving end for the first time, and as I anticipated they aren’t handling it well at all which is part of why you’re seeing this total freakout and panicked effort to ram through amnesty.

Doomberg on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Ditto THIS.
My first Pres vote was for Reagan- it spoiled me.
Since then – meh.
I voted for Palin in 08 actually.

( by the way – Did Palin’s, DC outsider – clean up the crony corruption die with her ? Thought that was a strong anti- government message that voters could connect with. It has disappeared totally from the conversation. Only Palin, and Palin alone wanted to attack this ethics-less cesspool in DC. whatever)

But Romney made me think that there was still American exceptionalism out there that Ocommie didn’t kill off. Romney was inspiring and we all saw that during the first debate. Chrissie cried, and then the media took over.

We are Pravda.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My only satisfaction..is watching them burn.
You wanted it..you got it.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I am looking forward to the new healthcare numbers at my company. People already hate our benefits – they are going to explode when ObamaCare kicks in.

I’m just going to smile and say what you said above – you wanted it – you got it.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Indeed.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Just got back from Target – YIKES

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What did you get me? I could use some lint rollers and, well, a new flat screen. You can skip the lint rollers if money is tight.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

What happened?

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

My Christmas shopping has been done for over a week. Nyah, Nyah, Nyah. *ducks*

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Nothing happened – just a lot of people and they didn’t open the elevators to the parking garage right away.

I always get the itch to shop on Black Friday every couple of years and then when I do – I remember why I don’t do it.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

My Christmas shopping has been done for over a week. Nyah, Nyah, Nyah. *ducks*

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

*missed* – grrr.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You wanted it..you got it.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

+1000

My only concern is Ma.

Me and sis will be alright. And I’m looking forward to seeing the shock on the faces of the idiots who voted these people into office when they get the cold, hard slap of reality right up side their heads.

It’s going to be funny to watch.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We Yankees talk funny you know!

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Especially those from Minna-SOOHH-dah. ;-)

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Great – we all came back in one piece. :)

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

You want a fiscally conservative man to go up against the first woman President ?

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Me a B9 snuggle in my TreeFort and watch the stars at night.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Eat flan and grill shark kebabs. :)
XCIVIICLVDXCM
While I take pics of him in his wolf shirt and swim in Jackie’s pool.
Hit him with his lobster mitt when he gets out of line.
Nice set up.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Me too. He talked about all the things I love about America and believed it.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

It’s still Plan B. Mrs. Hawkdriver (not her real name) is half Mexican American (half Japanese) with a ton of great Americans for relatives in Refugio, TX.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Our benefit costs went up but not extravagantly. I think 2014 will be the big year. *sigh*

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Especially those from Minna-SOOHH-dah. ;-)

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You betcha!

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

*missed* – grrr.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

And now you’re out of luck ‘cuz I’m waaaaaaaaaay over here————–>.

*I ran after I ducked.*

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

+1000

My only concern is Ma.

It’s going to be funny to watch.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I know Pred.
We all will suffer-irregardless of that the majority is finding out they did not want his and fought like hell.I have seniors very upset.. My concern is also about my family and people-hell myself as a patient with an chronic condition.
But yep-I am going to watch the melt down. I already have people calling me..where is my free coverage? LOL..I am blunt..just was hung up on on Tuesday. I say..go ask the Govt. I don’t do that. :)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I don’t care who it is as regards race or sex.

I care that they will try to make a difference and do some good. I want the government cut back because that has to happen, and if that person is a lesbian dwarf from Norway then that’s fine.

If all that mattered was winning then we should all vote for Obama.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

And now you’re out of luck ‘cuz I’m waaaaaaaaaay over here————–>.

*I ran after I ducked.*

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

*channeling my inner Elmer Fudd* – I’ll get you one day, you wascally wabbit!

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Because they don’t believe a word of it themselves. Even 10-year-olds can see they’re fakers.

Doomberg on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I don’t believe them either, and I think they are finding that out the hard way, to which I say, good for ‘em. Let them continue to freak out. It will allow us to identify who we don’t want on our side.

PatriotGal2257 on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Even in the shallow field that did run, Romney was not what the base wanted.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

So Romney wasn’t it. Got it.

Who was ? Who would have brought you that glorious victory against the incumbent who was too Black to fail?

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Careful, you’ll be called a progressive for that.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Even in the shallow field that did run, Romney was not what the base wanted.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The base couldn’t decide who they wanted. That’s half the problem. The base splits the vote and then you get the moderates coming out of the primary the winners.

If the base doesn’t want to vote for moderates – then decide on one candidate and gather support for that one person.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

irregardless ain’t a real word.

Don’t y’all go makin’ a mess tonight. I got the whole weekend to myself and ain’t even gonna’ wear pants. Packin’ the wife and daughter up for their girls weekend camping trip and I get to relax and tease y’all. Except for part of Saturday when I go to the gun show…maybe.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

That unfortunately seems to be the truth. They don’t believe in the Republican platform at all. It’s just a tool they use to pander to a conservative audience for votes. The Democrats believe in their stunted vision and the Republican believe in nothing.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I voted for Romney in 2008 and in 2012; this country and the absolute STUPID people who did NOT vote for this man have lost the best chance in decades to get this country back on track – financially and morally.

brendy on November 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

irregardless ain’t a real word.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

If you go to the show, the other attendees might prefer if you put on some pants. :)

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Careful, you’ll be called a progressive for that.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I think quite a few of his harder left shills here were pretty progressive. At least on social issues. But it Mitt didn’t strike the right tone to the electorate as someone who was down the middle enough to support the majority of America, I’m not sure who we could run to suit them

I see it like this. Mitt said he wanted to represent all Americans. obama said to vote for revenge. How can you win at all when the US media won’t even note that as a distinction?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM

The base couldn’t decide who they wanted. That’s half the problem.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Much more than half I’d say. There were just as many Anybody But-Perry/Gingrich/Santorum nutballs as there were ABR nutballs. And they helped the leftys in attacking Romney.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

*channeling my inner Elmer Fudd* – I’ll get you one day, you wascally wabbit!

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Oh, yeah!?

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

One thing to do for ALL of your guns: SLIPSTREAM! Order some of the oil and some of the grease from crusaderweaponry.com (It’s also on Amazon, but I don’t know how much you’ll save) It’s not the cheapest stuff – but it’s worth every penny.

Use it on all of your guns – rifles, pistols, revolvers, shotguns.

Your guns will thank you with a much smoother trigger pull and action and increased reliability.

Then, you’ll thank me for telling you about it.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Exactly. Then they complain when we end up with someone like Mitt.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Several of those who ran would probably have won given how close it was and how many mistakes Romney made. Huntsman, and Cain wouldn’t have IMO. Santorum and Bachmann would have been shaky…on par with Romney and Perry/Gingrich would have won. These were all third stringers.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

B9 still here?

KCB on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My only concern is Ma.

It’s going to be funny to watch.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Your mother will be fine – she’s got you and your sister – she’s in excellent hands.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

If all that mattered was winning then we should all vote for Obama.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

So you really are looking for a politician who connects with you, and feels your pain- and can win the POTUS deal.
Good luck with that.

And besides, Mitt got the Nugent/Meatloaf endorsement, and that shoulda connected with enough.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Yep- you do that cause it is the truth. They will start realizing.
To keep insurance premiums where they are at, companies have taken to higher out of pocket plans to afford the premium. So, employees see soaring costs and their plan coverage diminish. They are angry..but do not blame the correct source of the problem which
is insane healthcare cost and other factors..none of which obama care addressed. So…not a fix at all to the real problems which contribute to the rising premiums..and a lot more goodies in store. Yeah..I am hurting but I will smile too. All I got left..people will learn a horrible lesson.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Much, much more than I wanted to know.

At least you’ll be behind closed doors.

Hopefully.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I’ll be takin’ Mr. Spas with me. The other folks will either be envious or intimidated. I really like that shotgun, but with the prices even rough ones are bringing…I can let her almost mint self go.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Well, hell, you’re damn near a one-fourth Texan going in. Now, if she’s half MA and half Japanese, Mrs. Hawkdriver (not her real name) has gotta be a very pretty woman. A tu salut.

(Note to those not from Texas: Refugio is a nice little town between Victoria and Corpus Christi, and it’s pronounced “Re-FURE-eeo”, for reasons I have never been able to divine.)

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM

So you really are looking for a politician who…

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Is Conservative.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Man, you must really hate Romney, or somethin.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Oh, yeah!?

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

:D !

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

irregardless ain’t a real word.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

B9 says any word she wants..a real word or fake word :)
Rut roh..cozmo by himself..what mischievous activities will you get into huh? ;)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Thank you. And you are right. We discussed it at length a few days ago. I told her that as a result of what happened on 11/06 that my whole attitude is “take care of myself and my immediate family.” Everyone else best do the same. As much as I like helping people in need, that has pretty much ended. I’m going to do my damnedest to see that me and mine make it through. That takes priority over all else until things change.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

ain’t even gonna’ wear pants.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Much, much more than I wanted to know.

At least you’ll be behind closed doors.

Hopefully.

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

LMAO..

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Man, you must really hate Romney, or somethin.

FlaMurph on November 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I despise all progressives.

“My views are progressive” – Mitt Romney

They push a destructive ideology that causes untold misery to millions, and they couldn’t care less as long as they are taken care of personally.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM

There are some here who think that because one doesn’t think Romney’s a total loser and that there were many factors in his loss that they are progressive apologists.

I’m with you. I don’t regret my support for Romney after the primary. He is a decent man and infinitely better in so many ways than Obama.

The lessons of 2008 weren’t learned by our side. We saw what the media had become – it destroyed one of our own. We’ll have to prepare better. We won’t win again until we do.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I can let her almost mint self go.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

What?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Good to see you B9! Now if I could just find Jackie….. Haven’t seen Bmore either.

KCB on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

B9 still here?

KCB on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Physically yes..mentally..a little. :)
Hey dude. Happy Turkey day!
Hope it was super.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

What?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

And yet b9 is accused of using words that aren’t real. Hmmmm….

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

That cannot be stressed enough. But how do you bring down the media? I will soon have the time. I wish I had the talent like some of the bloggers here to start a site. We should bombard the internet with new media Conservatives.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

My only satisfaction..is watching them burn.
You wanted it..you got it.

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

….at my company…the employees don’t know it yet…but the owners will quit offering ‘their’ share…it will be much cheaper for them to pay the fines!…can’t wait to see the reactions!

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Me too. He talked about all the things I love about America and believed it.

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

…from being the third from the bottom on my list of primary candidates…I ended up believing he was the best man for the job for the situation we as a nation faced!…I worked phones talking to Democrats who were going to vote for him…I rarely got the feeling Romney was not going to win…AND I still can not get away from this “kicked in the gut” feeling!…but I think I will see that feeling reversed in the next 6 months…with those who feel “they WON”…wondering what the he11 just happened?… when things start unfolding.

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

What?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Too heavy, too cumbersome, too complicated. Other than that she is the coolest shotgun ever made, except for maybe the Spas 15. Besides, I can trade her for a MKA 1919, a Walter .380, a Ruger .380 (for Mrs cozmo) and still have enough to get a shorter barrel for the 9mm AR.

That is tempting. But, I’ll probably not.

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

predator on November 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Considering that none of us know what’s coming, but have a very good idea, that’s excellent advice.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

What ever gave you the impression that any of us are gentle…anything?

cozmo on November 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Okay, excluding you.
Why you always gotta poke me Coz?
Cuz you like me..admit it. *grin*
Your like the little boy in 3rd grade that pulled my hair..
till I kicked him in the ..fun parts. Then he suddenly stopped..wonder why. ;)

bazil9 on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Doomberg on November 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Well, I’ve never seen anybody act like the GOPe is acting right now.
We lost the election, so – rather than find a way to articulate and communicate or positions so that more people will understand, accept and support Republicans – they want us to veer away (to the left) from everything that we ‘supposedly’ stand for.
The damndemocrats don’t do that. When they lose, they double down on their message and fight harder.
It seems that the GOPe and the “pundits” all want to give up and turn away from Conservative principles in order to “appeal” to the moochers – instead of trying to turn the moochers into producers.
I’ve just never seen anything like it.
And, I’ve never seen such attacks on the candidate that we supported in a mad scramble to avoid responsibility for a campaign that didn’t work out. Everybody seems to want to take a shot at Romney. (That’s why Jindel will never get anymoney or vote from me. He’s a real disappointment on that count.)

I don’t know. Everybody is disappointed and depressed by the results – but I can’t see abandoning principles that we hold and believe in; and I can’t see turning on Romney like a pack of feral dogs.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM