NFL Thanksgiving open thread

posted at 11:01 am on November 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier, I mentioned the four Fs of Thanksgiving in our culture — feasts, family, friends … and football.  Mom’s not the only one giving us a full plate — or three! — on the holiday.  The NFL has three big games on tap, two of which are key division-rivalry games that might make a difference in the playoff hunt.  Let’s take a look at each, and see whether my recent string of good fortune can be extended today, although last week’s 4-2 was a little off my pace for the previous five weeks:

• Texans at Lions (CBS, 12:30 ET) – The Lions are still an improving franchise, and playing in the dome at home gives them an advantage over teams that don’t play well on the road.  Houston, however, is not one of those teams. They haven’t lost a road game yet, and they’re not likely to do so today.  Houston wins 27-20 over a tough but not quite ready Detroit team.
  • Redskins at Cowboys (Fox, 4:25 ET) – Washington passed a big test last week against the Philadelphia Eagles, and at 4-6 are not out of the division hunt yet.  They have to get past the Dallas Cowboys, though, who are 5-5 and have an opportunity to get above .500 and compete with the New York Giants for the division.  This should be a close game, with plenty of offense, but I have to go with Dallas at home.  Cowboys edge the ‘Skins, 33-28.
  • Patriots at Jets (NBC, 8:20 ET) – Rex Ryan’s Team Green came up big against St. Louis last week, offering a balanced attack and remarkably gaffe-free performance on the road.  Today they host the New England Patriots, who just scored 59 points against the Indianapolis Colts.  The Pats won’t have their mighty TE Rob Gronkowski, who had to have surgery on his broken forearm after last week’s game.  I want to pick the Jets, who so often look like they’re on the cusp of respectability, but with all apologies to Jazz, I don’t think it’s going to happen today.  Patriots 35-24 over the Jets.

Comments

I would like the Lions to win.
But no chance of that…right?

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

all apologies to Jazz.

What about AP? :)

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Pappys Pigskin Picks

Texas is red state….Detroit could NOT be bluer…….Viva North Mexico Tejas!!!

Native Americans against Tony Romopokes. Got to go PC and pick RGXXVIIIMCXVII, Skin win.

Blue state Gisele’s versus Sanchez and that invisible Tebow person who used to matter. Gisele bombs jets!!!

PappyD61 on November 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Texans,Cowboys,Patriots.

portlandon on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

iPad thingy.

PappyD61 on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

GET YER PICKS IN!

LtGenRob on November 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I don’t like their chances today. They haven’t played well for weeks. They only beat Philly because Philly was more determined to lose than the Cowboys. They narrowly escaped a pathetically bad Cleveland last week. RGIII has the hot hand and runs through Dallas like a buzz saw.

If only Santa would give Dallas a new GM for Christmas…

Russ in OR on November 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Not sure what the spread is in Detroit but I’m willing to be the Lions might be a good choice against the spread.

As far as head-to-head winners, give me Houston, New England, and the Skins in an upset special.

Red Cloud on November 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The Saints are coming.

That is all…

Del Dolemonte on November 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

all apologies to Jazz.

What about AP? :)

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

*cough cough*, and uhhh don`t forget Jetboy. I`m a bit more optimistic than Ed, 28/16 J.E.T.S!

NY Conservative on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

If only Santa would give Dallas a new GM for Christmas…

Russ in OR on November 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Jerry’s inbox is crammed with email from me that says “Pay Brady what he wants, but get him on the team”

I like Romo. If the NFL were a sandlot or community adult league he would reign supreme. He needs to mature a lot more, but I’m not holding out hope.

BobMbx on November 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Romo doesn’t need to mature. He’s been the qb for six frickin years.

catmman on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Last year, Romo was better than the Cowboys.
This year, he’s regressed a bit.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I would like the Lions to win.
But no chance of that…right?

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

…we lose to the teams that we should beat…and sometimes beat the great teams especially on Thanksgiving.
Houston is 9 and 1?……….NAAAAAHHHHH!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Going with Houston(-3 1/2), Washington(+3), New England(-7). Cowboys will have trouble stopping the Skins ground attack, Jets turn the ball over too much to beat the Pats.

TouchdownBuddha on November 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

NY Conservative on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I always root against the Patriots, unless they’re playing the Ravens.
Then I hope for a mathematical impossiblity…that both teams lose.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

that both teams lose.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

They can tie.

CW on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

BobMbx on November 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Can’t make any excuses for Romo’s mistakes this year, but he has been running for his life behind a mistake prone and injured offensive line.

Garym on November 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

12-2 last week so the good run continues but these holiday games always get me. Probably will go 0-3 today but going with

Lions, Skins and Jets.

Good luck all, Happy Thanksgiving!

smitty41 on November 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I always root against the Patriots, unless they’re playing the Ravens.
Then I hope for a mathematical impossiblity…that both teams lose.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Go for the scoreless tie.

And as for the lack of mention of AP, AP apparently doesn’t whine when Ed dabbles in picking a game involving them like Jazz does.

Steve Eggleston on November 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I’ll take the Lions, the Skins, the Jets and, in a surprising upset, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory to defeat Chuck “The Ice Man” Liddell in an MMA steel cage match at half time.

Jazz Shaw on November 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Anybody else remember the Clint Longley/Cowboys Thanksgiving miracle pass to Drew Pearson…good times….

hillsoftx on November 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Go for the scoreless tie.

Steve Eggleston on November 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I see, then that makes sense. :)

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

May the Texas teams win, big!!! Also Pats over the Jets, because of Rex Ryan if for no other reason.

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My iggles are so comically bad this year, I look forward to new exiting ways to lose ballgames. Doesn’t seem too important, with the Marxism and the Dictatorship and stuff

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Romo is Danny White redeux. A career being almost there and a season away from fullfilling his “potential”.

tommyboy on November 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM

NY Conservative on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’m not optimistic at all about a probable win tonight…it would be nice, but no sense getting all worked up over it. :/ I’m curious as to how many fans actually go to the game…I said in another thread that I’ve seen lots of tickets going for cheap…normally unheard of prices especially for this match-up.

JetBoy on November 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Since it’s in the headlines here’s link to the picture that got those 2 workers fired.

warren on November 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

May God allow the Lions to actually win one on turkey day.

abobo on November 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM

2 huge blown calls by the refs against the lions

smitty41 on November 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

That was a strange call. Never seen that before.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

These replacement refs sure are terrible…err….wait a minute…..

2 huge blown calls by the refs against the lions

smitty41 on November 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Besides the touchdown run by Houston what was the other bad call?

CW on November 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Are you saying if he then would have tripped and is downed at the one, it’s okay to throw the flag. WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE???

Great quote from another site.

CW on November 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Besides the touchdown run by Houston what was the other bad call?

CW on November 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I think it was the punt by Detroit early in the 2nd quarter that looked like it was touched by a Texan and then picked up by a Lion. The refs awarded the possession to Houston, reviewed the play, and didn’t overturn their initial ruling.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

My Thanksgiving meal just turned sour in my stomach. The Lions have blown so many wins this year.

NotCoach on November 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I might be eating my words. Cowboys are getting thrashed at the moment.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Hail to the Redskins!

tom2789 on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I’m used to seeing turkeys on Thanksgiving; just not 22 of them wearing silver and blue :(
My Cowboys SUCK today!

michaelo on November 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Well …. Redskins got the Cowboys … Romo was in trouble often
and without a run game he did as well as you could expect.

conservative tarheel on November 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Besides the touchdown run by Houston what was the other bad call?

CW on November 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

the punt that hit a Texan recovered by Lions and after the review the ball stayed with Texans, obvious even the guy it hit immediately started looking for the ball cause he knew. But that wasn’t rare, these guys are missing calls that make ppl scratch their heads, but the 81 yd run, how does the league have a rule that ensures the officials can not get the call right when they know the ruling on the field is bad, horrendous. Likely to be changed at years end.

But the Lions play at games end with lead sucked, 3 or 4 times on TX’s 40 needing 7-10 yrds to get in FG range and can’t and 1 time just launching a hail mary, pitiful. Really hoped to call the upset to make big win, made some with spread but had enough on a straight up win for odds didn’t get payoff I wanted. ;((

smitty41 on November 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I am now officially stuffed!

Have a great evening!

Rovin on November 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

1100 people are chanting Tebow, Tebow Tebow at the jets slaugter.

renalin on November 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Oh my. This is embarrassing. Can we just call it a game at half time?

conservative pilgrim on November 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

C’mon, put Tebow in already! Jets 35 down in ONE QUARTER?!

My heart was already cracked by the Lions today. Don’t break it altogether…

Ugly on November 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

lenny kravitz is on at halftime.

so we have that to look forward to.

renalin on November 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

lenny kravitz is on at halftime.

so we have that to look forward to.

renalin on November 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Oh yay.

Ugly on November 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

More chants for Tebow…

Ugly on November 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Nice boots, Kravitz. Nice negligee too.

/cheerleaders made it almost worth it.

Ugly on November 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

lenny’s a little too chunky for the leotards.

Tebow not even included in the punt return team. al michaels obsessed with pointing out every negative point about Tebow he can.

renalin on November 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Well …. Redskins got the Cowboys … Romo was in trouble often
and without a run game he did as well as you could expect.

conservative tarheel on November 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Hey fellow tarheel. You have to admit it was a great second half effort by the Cowboys.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

O.M.G. The jets gave up 21 points in less than a minute?

Jetboy is having a bad thanksgiving.

portlandon on November 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Play of the day goes to refs in the crazy blown call in the Houston/Detroit game. As it turns out, cost the Lions the game. Bring back the replacements! That was worse than any call they made!

Christian Conservative on November 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Christian Conservative on November 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM

It was a bad call and one automatically reviewable as it led to a TD … until the Lions coach through the red flag. That made the play immediately unreviewable under the rule. He admitted to such after the game, and while they should probably change the rule, it is what it is.

Plus, who’s to say that the Texans wouldn’t have ultimately scored a TD on that drive anyway.

TXUS on November 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Dear Jets,

If you refuse to play Tim Tebow, can we have him? You can have both Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn.

Signed,
The Kansas City Chiefs

Wolftech on November 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’m sorry to dwell on it, but Sanchez being clotheslined by his own lineman’s butt will live on in NFL lore forever. That one may get him run out of town. It looked like Curly getting poleaxed by the kangaroo….

cane_loader on November 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM

cane_loader on November 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I Googled “Sanchez butt fumble”. I laughed until I cried. “Does that quaterback make my ass look big?”

It will be a trademark.

hawkdriver on November 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Just imagine what a juggernaut the New England Patriots will be once they get healthy…

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

ಠ_ಠ

JetBoy on November 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hopefully that will happen. Any word on Edelman? I searched and couldn’t find out the extent of his injury.

dogsoldier on November 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Not sure how I got this news, but apparently the only topics in sports worth talking about today are, in ascending order of importance:

4) ND v USC tomorrow;
3) Sanchez butt-fumble;
2) Natalie Portman’s incalculable preggo-boob hotness at the Texas-Baylor game, and
1) A.J. McCarron’s Mom, Dee Dee Boner, and her “Look at my Tits!” photo collection.

Jaibones on November 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

4) ND v USC tomorrow;
3) Sanchez butt-fumble;

How’s about USC gets Sanchez back and Teebs gets his job…

JetBoy on November 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Now I am crying, Googling “Benny Hill Sanchez”

Eat tha azz!!!