Lindsey Stone loses her job

posted at 5:01 pm on November 22, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

While many of us take time out today to be thankful for all of our blessings, there’s at least one household with a bit less to be thankful for. It’s being reported that on the day before Thanksgiving, Lindsey Stone and one of her colleagues were fired from their jobs. In case you somehow missed the story, Lindsey is the woman who managed to exercise her right to free speech in a manner so incredibly offensive that people across the nation took to social media demanding she be fired from her job. If your love of civil liberties has you feeling sorry for her, you might want to hold back on defending her here.

Lindsey Stone, the Plymouth, Massachusetts woman who posted a photo of herself giving the middle finger in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, creating a firestorm of Internet backlash and outrage, was fired from her job Wednesday…

The photo, which has been taken down, was first posted last month on Stone’s personal Facebook page, and showed Stone giving the middle finger while pretending to yell next to a sign that read “Silence and Respect” at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the Arlington National Cemetery.

The picture in question (linked here with the offending digit blurred out) was enough to get people from all across the political spectrum up in arms. And I offer no apologies for saying I was among that group. But as the story unfolded, there were those speaking up in defense of Stone, such as Business Insider author Robert Johnson – a veteran himself – who argued that the young woman’s life shouldn’t be “ruined” over a “stupid Facebook post.”

But as outrage grows — leading to posts across the Internet and Facebook groups devoted to getting her fired — I feel compelled to defend her.

Stone was at the cemetery on an office trip. She’s pretending to be neither silent or respectful next to a sign that demands she be both. As in, “Look it says I can’t. But I am.” I get it. I remember standing on the wall of a deep gorge in high school that had the words Do Not Stand here painted on it. I took a picture of my shoe beside them. These are silly, immature, little rebellions.

More importantly, if Lindsey Stone wants to rip on the Tomb of the Unknowns, me, my service, or the hundreds of mutilated troops I served with at Walter Reed Medical Center, she should be able to do so without fear of retribution. Freedom like that is what we fought for, and respecting other opinions is part of what the military tried to teach all of us who served.

As part of his argument, Johnson points to an op-ed by Marine officer and Naval Academy instructor Aaron O’Connel. There’s too much to include here, but the basic thrust of the argument is that the national attitude toward our troops has reached the point where the “blind adoration of the military and its personnel is getting creepy.” They both also put forward the assertion that, “questioning institutions and individuals, including the military and its troops, is good and healthy.”

That last statement is obviously true. (And this is also coming from another veteran.) The military is composed of real human beings and some of them will, on occasion, deviate from the standards we expect or make poor decisions. Military policy is certainly up for public debate. But none of this changes what I see as the primary failing of both of these arguments when it comes to the specifics of Ms. Stone’s situation. There are two arguments here: one being the woman’s right to free speech and the other being the fact that the military is fairly subject to criticism just as much as any other institution.

On the first count, I don’t see anyone trying to deprive Lindsey Stone’s first amendment rights. If this had happened and the government – at any level – was trying to punish her, I fully believe that each and every one of us would be up in arms over it. But the government isn’t doing a thing to her. What she is dealing with is the reaction of the public and her employers by way of exercising their own rights to speech and action in response to an act she freely chose to perform and publish. We are all free to speak, but we also bear the responsibility for what other free citizens decide to say in response to us.

As far as the military criticism angle goes, with apologies to Mr. Johnson, this is complete malarkey (as Joe Biden might say). In her completely unpersuasive apology, posted on her Facebook page, Lindsey said that it was “a visual pun” intended to make fun of the sign. But for us to buy this, we would need to ignore the fact that she was on an employee sponsored trip specifically to visit Arlington. She knew precisely where she was and the importance of the ground on which she stood. She was within sight of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This is the important distinction which those seeking to defend Stone need to understand. She was not “criticizing the military” or “challenging authority” in that moment.

She was grossly and crudely insulting the Honored Dead.

As I stated above, anyone is free to criticize the military or debate Washington foreign policy. But if there is anything in this world which I hope every American citizen could agree on, it’s that those men and women buried at Arlington – and our family has three there, by the way – are beyond reproach. There is no criticism of the Honored Dead. They gave the last full measure for the rest of us and are not a subject for politics or pranks. This was no stunt or “visual pun.” It was a horrific act which rightly brought a collective scream of rage from Americans across the country. And while she broke no laws and is facing no punishment from her government, she should have expected the backlash which followed.

Apology not accepted.

And with that, I’ll step down off of my soapbox and wish each and every one of you a blessed Thanksgiving and hope you find peace, with a chance to reflect on all your blessings.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I expect to see her represented by Gloria Allred any day now.

vcferlita on November 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

She did it, it was on video, she was on a paid leave by LIFE, so what’s the big deal if the two got canned?

Many American’s have a dim view of this type of actions at our honored military dead cemetary!

But the two might fit right in with bho’s team someplace?
L

letget on November 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

If this was a personal trip, then rude, but her right to be an idiot.

This was a business trip, paid for and representing her group. As such, her job performance apparently failed to live up to the expectations that her employer has for employees.

She had the right to be an idiot, we have the right to complain about it and they had a right to fire her.

Good luck finding a job in Obamas economy you commie ingrate.

smorrow66 on November 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I pretty much agree, Jazz. This was handled privately and appropriately.

Mason on November 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

in our current nanny state mindset where freedom depends on who makes the decisions, I would say this result is a good start in moving back to the middle ground. in that regard I had to laugh in reading the protests over SF’s nudity ban “SF is a place for freedom”…as long as it doesn’t include a Happy meal.

teejk on November 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Jazz, and everyone else.

But to the topic – she was on a work trip, working for a nonprofit that deals with veterans and the company has the right to expect certain behaviors or nonbehaviors on their dime.

Now I might be inclined to argue *for* her if she was doing it on her own time.

Sometimes stupid gets punished regardless.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The author ignores the fact that she was on the clock at the time and made her employer look bad. Also, she was not ruined. She can find another job. I’m sure leftards who thought her behavior was great will hire her.

Blake on November 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Apology not accepted.

One of these things is not like the other.

Capitalist Hog on November 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM

America 2012.

Pelosi delende est on November 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM

If We the People had more confidence in our nation and we enjoyed more unity Ms Stone’s rebellious spoof would illicit more humor.

Its only because our country is threatened that her silly actions cause such animus.

Speakup on November 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

At least this country has enough respect not to flip the bird at the picture of President Reagan in the WH and have their photo taken.

Electrongod on November 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

One almost wonders how many of her FaceDURRRK friends liked her stunt.

And now… HAW HAW HAW

Jeddite on November 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Typical Obama voter. Scorn for her country. Gimme, Gimme.
She was fired not because of her loathsomeness, but because her employer is a parasite nonprofit feeding off the taxpayer.

pat on November 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I am retired military and a Viet Nam Vet. Like Robert johnson, I am very protective of the rights of civilians to free speech(serving military do loose some degree of free speech). But, I also believe in the right of a private company to discipline employes whose speech damages the reputation of the company. The firing was just.

I also despise the mocking one graves. Note, I might make an exception for this young woman’s grave and decorate it with some used scotch.

Linh_My on November 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM

that’s her right, if she wants to flip off dead heroes let God deal with it. Not our place.

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

She should count her blessings. Lucky for her she didn’t make some stupid movie.

Curtiss on November 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I think it indicates a bigger disconnect. I doubt she knew what she was doing, or what makes the Tomb of the Unknown special. She wanted to take a dopey picture of her challenging authority, without realizing what it was the authority was asking she respect.

amazingmets on November 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM

This idiot has the right to say and do whatever she wants and the company she worked for has the right to demand she represent them in a good light.
She has the right and she also has the right to the consequences of her actions.
Very simple!
She has rights and they are not taken away.
The Company has rights and they exorcised them.

Delsa on November 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You don’t get it. It’s not The Military. It’s Us. Our Dads, Brothers, neighbors, etc, Our Boys. As long the the Democrats can get away with saying its them, they will continue to be marginalized. We should have never given draft exemption to college kids. Now we have an unloyal, supercilious college class. Which party’s idea was that anyway?

Observation on November 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM

When an Obama voter loses his/her job, an Angels gets his/her wings.

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM

the “college class” can barely read

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM

They can spin it any way they want. Unfortunately, the marvels of modern technology let you display to one and all that you can be a complete stupid ass.

And suffer the consequences at your leisure.

OR, before you hit that SEND button, take the time to use your brain and THINK.

GarandFan on November 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Freedom of Speech just means she’s not going to jail. Her employer is also free to fire her for being a putz.

Knott Buyinit on November 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It’s definitely her fault she got fired, I’m just sayin’ no one should be agitating for her TerminaTion

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

One of the consequences of the all-Volunteer armed forces is that fewer and fewer Americans have any connection to the military. So much so that a native born American citizen could make an intentional trip to A.N.C., see the signs referencing “heritage” “sacrifice” “future generations” “all Americans” “respect,” and still think that none of it has anything to do with them.

We have arrived at that strange place where Americans are alienated from artifacts of their own culture and heritage. Indeed, “America” has become foreign to too many Americans.

Robert_Paulson on November 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Meet Susan Rice’s replacement.

viking01 on November 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Speakup on November 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

So…you really, actually have absolutely NO clue, whatsoever, about why people are upset with her?
Other than that we the people ‘lack confidence’ and are disunited.

REALLY!?!

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Here’s the deal, though: she was there as part of her job. Would you act like that when you’re on a trip for work? And what would you expect the consequences to be in such an instance?

Dack Thrombosis on November 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Sometimes God outsources.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Speakup on November 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Come back when you find the missing fries from your happy meal, champ.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Jazz, I believe you intended to say “employer” instead of “employee” above. I read elsewhere she was on a trip paid for by her employer, that’s why I ask.

Her employer has every right to terminate her employment. If one wants to make a political statement, one should do it on one’s own dime.

Am I the only one that finds it curious that some think freedom of speech includes some form of freedom from the repercussions / consequences of saying something repulsive?

dogsoldier on November 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Linh_My on November 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The Westboro Baptist Church protests are like that. IIRC, now there’s a law they must be 300 years away from the funeral itself. I wonder how far away this woman (I’ll just think of her as Sandra Fluke II) was from the gravestones themselves. That would matter, in terms of propriety.

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM

LOL. Sorry. 300 YARDS away. I’m getting old and hungry.

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

From Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address: “But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.”

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Speakup on November 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

You are clearly uninformed about events regarding veterans since the vietnam era. While many on the left claim they support us, some of them still find time to spit on us one way or another.

dogsoldier on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Well there goes any chance that she’ll be moving out of Mommy and Daddy’s basement any time soon…

glcinpdx on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I’d support a law permitting someone to burn the flag as long as the same law allows shooting someone burning the flag.

Freedom and consequences in one easy step.

viking01 on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What if God doesn’t want it done on His dime and connected to his business? ;)

This reminds me of the fool who gave the Chick-fil-A drive through girl a bad time. Don’t these people learn? They shoot themselves in the foot and then wonder why it hurts.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Respectfully Sir, I see what she did differently. Hate and scorn of our American traditions is at an all time high, and those doing the hating and scorning, possibly feeling emboldened by the re-election of their favorite dictator and the “lost” feeling that the media has been painting of those who still believe in those traditions, are ever increasing in their “boldness” to mock those traditions and the people who honor them.
It is “their new age” of incivility, and they are going to use it, darn it!
I think Stone and other people of her ilk and immaturity, are grasping onto their chance now to show how much hate they really have, not even fearing reprisals, knowing that the media and the administration in power will back up “their” kind of hate, you know, the “good” kind, sanctioned by the state.

Sterling Holobyte on November 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Can we agitate for your banning from HotAir?

Nutstuyu on November 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Blake on November 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Well, considering the majority of leftards are takers and not creators she very wel might have a tough time getting a job. And that is fine with me.

The Notorious G.O.P on November 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Sometimes God outsources.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Heh. Lesson for the socialists?

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

“Those who desire peace, must prepare for war.” Sadly, this historic truism has been forgotten amidst the quicksand of political correctness. I fear for my country when a large percentage of the population is not educated or chooses to ignore the battles we have fought and the sacrifices we have made to further freedom and the right to be ourselves, free of tyranny and a government yoke. Ms. Stone and her photographing friend deserved to be fired. I agree w/ Jazz…apology is not accepted. When I see her being a candy striper at Walter Reed or Bethesda or any other institution serving our wounded warriors, I’ll cut her just the tiniest bit of slack. But as of now…I’ll say, “Happy Thanksgiving, Lindsey and Ms. Schuh” I’ll bet you’ll remember this Thanksgiving for years to come. I look forward to what you’ll be telling your children about this incident in the future. In the meantime, deposit your Massengill bottles on the way out the door, and don’t let the door hit you in the a*s on the way out.

rduke305 on November 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM

LOL. Sorry. 300 YARDS away. I’m getting old and hungry.

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Actually, 300 years sounds a lot better for where they should be.

Sterling Holobyte on November 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Well played. She has her rights, her employer has his. Any punishment for her actions is private, not from the government. No one, including her, has a right to complain about how it was handled.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Scotsman on November 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

While I understand youthful impudence, and believe in the freedom of speech, I also believe in the individual and private corporate right to reply to such behavior.

She wasn’t arrested or incarcerated, she is simply suffering from public outcry, also known as free speech. The company that allowed her to accompany them on this outing is also suffering from her behavior, and rightly terminated her.

She wasn’t involved in an individual act of impudence, she was involved in a corporate sponsored act of desecration, regardless that she probably had no awareness or approval from her company to behave as she did.

Two employees from the same company thought it would be hilarious to desecrate one of the most honored and sacred sites in the country.

Rode Werk on November 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

LOL. Sorry. 300 YARDS away. I’m getting old and hungry.

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I would like a 300 year rule…

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Imagine a white southern male at a civil rights memorial, and he had done what she did. What would have happened? The press would have covered it extensively, and he would have had his life ruined.

What she did was no less reprehensible, yet the press didn’t cover it. Instead, the internet did, and the final result was the same. Good.

Maybe this unmarried female from MA isn’t a flaming leftie and a life-long straight line Democrat party voter who hates the military. Maybe she’s just a complete f’ing idiot. Couldn’t care less. Let the word go out: insulting “right-wing” cultural icons is no longer than insulting “left-wing” ones. Balance is once again achieved.

And this is good.

Greg Q on November 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Another reason to get off Facebook.

MoreLiberty on November 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Lindsey Stone Vanessa Ferreira loses her job

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Greg Q on November 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The MSM would out him, hound him for a while and then he would turn up dead.

dogsoldier on November 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Forget my professional standing, my father would have had me in front of a firing squad. Jury not needed….

Tilly on November 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM

My My as someone who fought in a war in which well over ten times the current number of American soldiers were killed. Many of whom were drafted. And for pay of $150.00 a month. I well remember the reverence and respect they were shown by the current democrat leftists now in political power. It rings rather hollow.

bluesdoc70 on November 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This.

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM

LOL. Sorry. 300 YARDS away. I’m getting old and hungry.

Paul-Cincy on November 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

LOL nono, actually “years” works quite well…

BillH on November 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

an op-ed by Marine officer and Naval Academy instructor Aaron O’Connel.

Don’t like officers.

Never have. Never will.

98ZJUSMC on November 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

That is a fail, for sure!

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Who. Cares.

What a nation of busybodies.

BocaJuniors on November 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Delsa on November 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM

please don’t try to argue commom sense with a leftie…it doesn’t work and your liver will suffer.

Sometimes God outsources.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

He/she is pretty busy lately…trying to maintain some sense of order in the world plus trying to prove to the left-coasts that he/she does in fact exist.

teejk on November 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Well, her employer, thank goodness, has the freedom to decide whether he or she thinks that is funny.

AshleyTKing on November 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

This still set a bad precedent. All along the lines a blasphemy laws. Sure they could have let her go that is their right but do it quietly and after a leave of absence.

If someone can not tell off the dead heroes, like every member of the left has done some time or another, when Bush was in office what is freedom of speak really about. They did loss any jobs some even got promotions because of it. Calling the marines of Haditha baby killers gets a ship named after you. But now that gets you fired because of manufactured outrage or something. If instead of being a douse in front of Arlington she did it in front of a run of the mill Mosque. A whole different group of people will want her sent to jail not just fired, with a different group would say she did good.

Seeds and kernels.

tjexcite on November 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Way too many people have way too much time on there hands to have even noticed this in the first place.

And then bothered about it in the second.

profitsbeard on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Setting aside the greater issues of first amendment rights or respect for those who gave their lives in service, I think she should be fired for posting it on Facebook. This isn’t 2006. Posting something embarrassing on Facebook means either excessive stupidity, an overbearing attention queen, or in this case both. No sympathy for that.

Gingotts on November 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Now she’s an unemployed douchebag.

rrpjr on November 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Anyone concerned for her future employment should have no fear.
Obama has already hired her as assistant to his Defense Secretary.

Delsa on November 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Ms. Stone had a perfect right to do what she did.

Her employer — ditto.

‘Nuf said.

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Vanessa Ferreira loses her job

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Is “cake decorator” above or below a “bun handler” in the union hierarchy? I just wonder where she was in her career progression.

BobMbx on November 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Her first amendment rights are protected. It is her job that is not!
She can do what she chooses as long as she assumes responsibility for her actions.

Delsa on November 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Slade73 on November 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

“Our”? Speak for yourself, not me. People need to learn the difference between society and government, they are not the same thing. You have the protected right of free speech when it comes to government, but what you say and do absolutely has consequences when it comes to society.

Daemonocracy on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Vanessa Ferreira loses her job

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

BobMbx on November 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Don’t know what union, but she could join the baker’s union and get a job at Hostess.

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Her freedom of speech is intact – she has not been arrested, fined or prosecuted for her stupidity. Other than that, screw her.

woodNfish on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

And with that, I’ll step down off of my soapbox

Please do. You look quite pompous.

This is what some spent time on? The internets flying monkeys lynch mobs must be continuously fed. Now, off to look for someone/something else to destroy.

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

The internets flying monkeys lynch mobs just took care of the prosecution.

Yeah. She’s an idiot. Big deal.

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

And then bothered about it in the second.

profitsbeard on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

But we did, and it did.

I guess you did, too, since you took the time to comment.

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Maybe if MTV resurrects “Jacka–”, they could hire her.

TMOverbeck on November 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

So we cant defend the constitution and natural born citizen clause. And the commerence clause now means politicians can mandate us pieons to pay for illegals medical bills. Ambassadors are killed and the one who should be protecting them lies about what led to their assination. One stupid girl that did not break a law needs defending or castigation depending on the political stripe you carry but she loses her job and those high crimes and misdeamors go unpunished. America is now got target on the wrong folks.

nicknack60 on November 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Mob rule that which the founders were most afraid of is now here.

nicknack60 on November 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Take a break, lil fella…and go pound sand up your butt.

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on November 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Maybe you would be more happy here: http://feelgoodblogs.com/

Don’t let the door hit you where Darwin split you.

/s/ Flying Monkey Lyncher

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Karma…it is a Bitch.

theguardianii on November 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

If her job fired her for the facebook photo she might have grounds for a wrongful termination lawsuit. I’m a vet, she’s wrong, but losing your job?

Mojave Mark on November 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Karma…it is a B!tch.

theguardianii on November 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This is so obvious!

It’s incredibly frustrating that so many (on both sides of the aisle) don’t get this.

itsnotaboutme on November 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM

There’s a meme online.

“I Do What I Want”. People standing on grass next to the “Keep Off Grass” sign, etc.

It’s normally funny. I suspect that’s what she was going for.

She failed.

Ben Hur on November 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

If she made an ass of herself during an office trip on company time the employer just may have some say on this unless Just-Us Benedict Roberts somehow rules it a tax.

viking01 on November 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This is a harmless online thread. Some people need a bit of perspective.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

viking01 on November 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This cannot be emphasized enough.

Unlike Jazz, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, that she was only being a rebellious punk for humorous effect w/o having any malicious intent. With that said, no one should expect her employer to accept that as a tolerable excuse. She made the decision to goof off on their time, making it a reflection upon them, and I can’t find sympathy for her losing her job even if she didn’t mean to seriously offend anyone – unfortunately or not, sometime lessons like this need to be learned painfully.

Anti-Control on November 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

If she did it as a citizen- and on her own time- firing her would have been wrong; first Amendment issues. However, she was ON THE JOB; therefore a ‘company representative’. Instant grounds for dismissal.

michaelo on November 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM

for her over losing

Anti-Control on November 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Rather than insult dead soldiers, perhaps she can show how really edgie she is and walk up to a completely live female Marine, shout in her face and flip her off.

Then I’d laugh at the irony.

kurtzz3 on November 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

And I offer no apologies for saying I was among that group.

Of course you are.

The infallibility of the military. That’s a good little subject, Jazz.

Dante on November 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

this incident did Not ruin this woman’s life….can we have a little perspective. She screwed up and learned a big lesson of Social Media. She’s not the first to learn this.

she was out and proud of her acting out some adolescent sensibility…and that is all. So now, she can learn to be chastened and that she will appreciate her next job a whole lot more because of it.

r keller on November 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

kurtzz3 on November 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

.. as the Marine shows Ms. Stone what she learned in basic training.

kurtzz3 on November 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM

And then bothered about it in the second.

profitsbeard on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

only because Mitt Romney took his dog off the car and released his tax data and got caught in an illegal recording of his campaign strategy that was twisted into his supposed governing strategy and somehow wanted to abolish birth control and a whole bunch of other more important things that somehow re-elected our fraud in chief…so the woman was a victim of doing something that went viral after the election. timing is everything.

teejk on November 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

There are a couple of funny coincidences in my discovery of this thing.

One, I was just recently thinking back on my support for the Iraq invasion. I don’t regret it, and I certainly don’t regret having been a “chickenhawk”. In light of the difficulty of the occupation, I don’t think the opponents were right and I don’t regret being mean to Code Pink or ANSWER goons. What I do regret – what I am ashamed of, in fact – was the ease with which I resorted to pushing the “support the troops” button on opponents of the war and critics of the Bush administration.

The other coincidence is that for the last few days, I’ve been tuned into mocking and pointing out the ethical flaws of this site, and was considering how and whether the right might be any better than the left in these sorts of things. Aside from the point that at least in the case of the leftwing site the targeted individuals are being targeted for what they actually meant to convey, I don’t think there is a difference.

eh on November 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The internets flying monkeys lynch mobs just took care of the prosecution.

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It is not wise to call Internet Flying Monkeys “Internet Flying Monkeys”
Internet Flying Monkeys do not like being called Internet Flying Monkeys.
When Internet Flying Monkeys are called “Internet Flying Monkeys” they become agitated and act even more like Internet Flying Monkeys.
When agitated, Internet Flying Monkeys make a big show of flashing their teeth and flinging their poop about.
Therefore, if one wishes not to be covered in Internet Flying Monkey poop, one should not call an Internet Flying Monkey an “Internet Flying Monkey”.

Rod on November 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

The sign demanded nothing.

It informed visitors of proper decorum.

Lindsey decided to act like a child. Maybe this firing will help her grow up.

mockmook on November 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM

This worked exactly as free speech in the the real world should. In this country we are fortunate in having free speech and it has no limit; however, it can have consequences, contrary to what the Left seems to believe. I congratulate this idiot on her exercise of her inalienable right. Now, as an adult, she will have to live with it.

Hucklebuck on November 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

you have the protected right of free speech when it comes to government, but what you say and do absolutely has consequences when it comes to society.

Daemonocracy on November 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM