Happy Thanksgiving!

posted at 8:01 am on November 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

On behalf of our entire staff at Hot Air, may our readers have a happy and joyous Thanksgiving holiday.  Most of you will spend the day with family and/or friends; some of you will spend this day as you do others — serving our nation far from home, or working in our communities to provide critical services that never have a day off.  I spent almost twenty years working in alarm response call centers, and know what it’s like to have to miss a family get together on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Our prayers will be with all of those who for one reason or another cannot celebrate the holiday as wished.

Typically, we’d write about those blessings for which we have special gratitude on Thanksgiving Day.  Today, though, I’d like to write about gratitude itself and for whom we feel it.  Often in American culture, we forget the religious underpinnings of these cultural events, and Thanksgiving is not immune to that trend.  We offer a generalized gratitude, or thank those around us, which is never a bad idea but is not the historical reason for this holiday.

George Washington knew better.  In his first Thanksgiving proclamation — indeed, the first given by an American President under the Constitution — Washington repeatedly addressed his and the nation’s gratitude to God for His blessings on the new nation:

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to “recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

So how shall we spend this day — apart from the great customs of the holiday, such as the feasting, the football, and the family and friends?  Let me leave you with this wisdom from Colossians 3:12-17, emphases mine:

12 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, 13forbearing one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14And over all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as you teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I wish you all a truly blessed Thanksgiving.

Comments

Happy Thanksgiving to all at HotAir.

TooTall on November 22, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

joeswampy on November 22, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Happy Thanksgiving! Now, it’s time to get to get cooking…

Fallon on November 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM

A safe and happy Thanksgiving to my southern peeps…we will be having Turkey and going shopping in your honour!

Mitsouko on November 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to the Staff and all the great Conservatives on Hot Air.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, your orders are to gain 5 pounds and enjoy the day.

rob verdi on November 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Thank you for posting the Washington declaration, Ed. I wish we could do away with the ridiculous “turkey pardoning” and instead have the president read out Washington’s declaration every year to remind why and to Whom we are thankful.

There is an old essay about the first Thanksgiving; I can’t remember who wrote it, but I recall it has this line about the Pilgrims:

“After the first year in the New World, nearly half of them had died. But still they saw reason to give thanks.”

Wethal on November 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all the writers, contributors and readers of Hot Air.

NY Conservative on November 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM

A Happy Thanksgiving to all HA people, everywhere!

DarkCurrent on November 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thanks Ed. Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all my fellow Hotair heads or whatever we call ourselves these days.

God bless.

ted c on November 22, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Well, on this one day maybe we can meet in the middle of the river and swap good Yankees coffee for good southern tobacco and save the skirmishing for another day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And go ‘skins!

urban elitist on November 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

This Thanksgiving, I am particularly grateful to have grown up in an America where individual freedom and personal responsibility were prevailing values: http://youtu.be/zyAGE8Y7ojc

petefrt on November 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Ed, you always write to greatest strength when you write with your faith leading the way.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

This day, Sgt. Vulcha is thankful for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, National Guard, Reserve Forces, Coast Guard. And all the families who “soldier on” at home.

Lady Culcha is thankful for the Salvation Army who serves the homeless today, the Red Cross giving much of ravaged New Jersey & New York a little break from weeks of despair, local Churches nationwide for fulfilling needs unseen by most.

Mrs. Smith is so very thankful for extended family. May you and yours be surrounded by love, laughter, and above all, GREAT FOOTBALL!!!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM

A very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to the HotAir staff on community. Ed, thanks for posting Washington’s speech. I know you know Deacon Greg — he’s a real life friend of mine (we’re in the same parish in Forest Hills), and he’s told me many wonderful things about you that you haven’t mentioned on line, so I’ll just thank you for your kindness and patience with your loved ones near and far, and hope you’ll continuing posting for many years to come.
Regards,
JoAnn

JoAnn1965 on November 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM

The feast is now finished here. Went with hot pot instead of the traditional fare. A very enjoyable evening, as I hope you will all have as well.

DarkCurrent on November 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Happy and blessed Thanksgiving to my Hot Air family!

DanaSmiles on November 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And, it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!

kingsjester on November 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Nappy Thanksgiving to all. And a special thanks to Ed for posting Washington’s declaration.

On Thanksgiving we do 5 things. First go to church. Second watch Macy’s parade. Third we eat dinner. Some of us watch the Lions game, used to be the Lions versus the Packers way back when I first remember it, yeah I’m that old.

And last, for an after dinner treat we watch this episode again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Deanna on November 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Okay…I can’t believe I missed that typo. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving…unless of course you have a baby or if you ate too much, then it might be Nappy.

HAPPY Thanksgiving everyone.

Deanna on November 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Gittin ready fer the Possum Holler 5k Turkey Trot.

Me, Mammy and the yung uns.

Y’all have a great day!

PappyD61 on November 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This is my favorite:

Blake on November 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Deanna on November 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

“The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!”

Hahaha! Poor Les Nessman. Dropping the live birds from a helicopter was the only idea he ever had. Might as well have been penguins. Thanks(giving) for the memory!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all….

Time to start prepping and cooking – then watch the Cowboys get creamed by the Redskins. :(

Probably be better off having the Godfather on in the background, less bloody (GF I & II on AMC all day).

tru2tx on November 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to the Hot Air management & community!

Looking forward to ODing on football in a few hours!

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

DarkCurrent on November 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yum!

petefrt on November 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all here at HA.

I am thankful that for a time? that a cease-fire between Israel and hamas seems to be holding.

God bless our wonderful military, family, and friends.
L

letget on November 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Re the Cowboys & Redskins – maybe the Redskins are the better team on paper, but divisional opponents have a tendency to play to each other’s level. The Cowboys are at home as well.

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all!

…don’t let it burn :)

lexhamfox on November 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

A blessed and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Philly on November 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yum!

petefrt on November 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Indeed! :)

DarkCurrent on November 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I could have gotten Jets/Pats tickets for less than $40 for tonight’s game…that’s normally unheard of when it’s those two teams. But by then I’ll be fat, drunk, and happy or I’d consider going.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the denizens of HotAir. I’m thankful to have been a small speck amongst all you here for all these years. God Bless!

JetBoy on November 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as you teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Thanks for quoting this beautiful passage, Ed!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

itsnotaboutme on November 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Hot Air!

melle1228 on November 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all!

rbj on November 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! In a world of confusion and chaos it is nice to be able to come to this site and get a patriot perspective of life. I am grateful for the posts here.

Now off to deep fry a turkey. Everyone have a great day!

rsherwd65 on November 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all at Hot Air..:):)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to our Lords/Masters/ Mistresses @ HA and all my fellow HA peeps.
I’m thankful for alla youse. I’m thankful for my husband and son(most of the time. LoL), I’m thankful that I live in the great REPUBLIC of TEXAS! I’m even thankful that I’m working @ Wal-Mart. I LIKE working. I LIKE Wal-Mart!
*out until 10:30 tonight.*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Happy Thanksgiving and God’s blessings to all.

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

You regulars,, smart bunch. Witty. I’m glad to be here. I learn a lot from you.

Thank you. :)

wolly4321 on November 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. – Romans 8:28

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM

…like what you wrote!
Have a good day twerp!
Happy Thanksgiving Hot Air!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Night Owl on November 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all…………;)

angrymike on November 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Does Massachusetts’ first native american Senator Liz Warren celebrate Thanksgiving?

shanimal on November 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all! You help me keep my sanity :o)

In other ObamaNews, Turkey pardoned by Obama last year euthanized

Ironically, the turkey’s name was Peace.

Key West Reader on November 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

22044 on November 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reminder.

davidk on November 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all! You help me keep my sanity :o)

In other ObamaNews, Turkey pardoned by Obama last year euthanized

Ironically, the turkey’s name was Peace.

Key West Reader on November 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all and may God bless you.

Funny article. If you look at the end, it said that Peace was dead. :)

itsspideyman on November 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Blessings!

OmahaConservative on November 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

dogsoldier on November 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

ladyingray on November 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

All the BEST to ALL Yall!

These are tough times and all the more important for us to try and remember ALL that we are thankful for……………I’m darned thankful for the 11 years, 109 days of BONUS time on this earth since surviving that headon back on Aug 5th 2000 (I was the guy on the motorcycle vs. a Dodge Ram truck)…………all 5 of my Grandbabies have been born since then and I’ve been blessed by knowing Yall, finding the Patriot Guard, and of course BACA (B.ikers A.gainst C.hild A.buse BACA WORLD

(not to mention still having a JOB!)

THANK You LORD!

Katfish on November 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Wishing all of you great people the happiest of Thanksgivings!

PatriotGal2257 on November 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Beautiful post Ed. Thanks for posting Washington’s proclamation and that passage of Scripture. It’s a reminder that God is greater than the mess we’ve created on earth. My eyes are on Him.

I’m very thankful this year—for faith, family, friends, health, daily necessities, peace in my heart. I’m really thankful that I’m not cooking this year! We’re spending the day at a friend’s home. Hot Air is such a part of my daily life. I’m thankful for the free exchange of ideas, the witty, smart commenters, & the talented HA writers.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

conservative pilgrim on November 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Times like this remember they can’t take away your soul or how you feel about your family. I give thanks for the blessings I have nearest to me.

Conan on November 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!

Be safe everyone.

portlandon on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Lovely sentiments Ed. May god bless us all and heal our nation after it’s most serious slef-inflicted wound yet. (okay maybe second to the fed/16th amendment, but it’s up there)

On a more serious note tho: IF THE G-damn LIONS AINT PLAYIN THEN IT AINT THANKSGIVING!!! Someone oughta be serving Roger Goodell’s nuts at a homeless shelter this year.

abobo on November 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Too fast off the shift key, should be

May God bless us all…

abobo on November 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I am looking forward to deviled eggs. I think I could a dozen by myself if they lasted that long on the egg holder tray!

portlandon on November 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Ms. Abobo just informed me that Detroit will indeed be playing despite all this talk of RG3, good news. God truly has blessed this day.

PS: What is Allahpundit thankful for? And to whom is he thankful? Not baiting, just want to know.

abobo on November 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I am thankful for Hot Air – for Michelle Malkin’s vision, for Ed, Allah and the talented bloggers who post regularly on this site. I am also thank for the HA Community of fellow posters. The wit, intelligence and challenge to ideas this site provides is wonderful.

I live in a bright blue city in a bright blue state and work in a bright blue industry.

Hot Air keeps me sane.

Thank you all, and have a joyous, blessed, Happy Thanksgiving!

Bruno Strozek on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

God Bless all of you and your families. I am very thankful I found HA. You all are the best!

Happy Thanksgiving – enjoy the day and don’t forget to wear stretchy pants LOL!

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Hot Air!

I am thankful for each and everyone here! Thank you for helping me get through the last 2 weeks. Without your encouragement and sense of humor in some cases I probably would have driven myself to drink :)

wolverinefan on November 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I just got a call from my brother and he said he got a funny email, ‘Don’t forget to set your scales back ten pounds today’!
L

letget on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Thanksgiving is the time of year where you can get on a plane to visit your family and argue about politics over dinner instead of the phone.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE.

Love, good wishes, gratitude, thanks and thankfulness…

Lourdes on November 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Thanks, Hotair, for all you do and your hard work over this past grueling campaign.

Thanks to Squanto for helping the Pilgrims learn to cultivate and prosper. Thanks to those on the Mayflower for having the courage to flee religious prosecution and for writing the Mayflower Contract which influenced the Founding Fathers when they wrote the US Constitution!

And thanks to all you nutty Hotair commenters for your wisdom and entertainment.

scalleywag on November 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all

workingclass artist on November 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

When asked yesterday by a co-worker what my plans were for Thanksgiving, they were impressed when I said that I was doing a 5K. The weren’t quite as impressed when I elaborated by saying that my goal was five thousand calories.

Scott P on November 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

scalleywag on November 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM

About the noble Squanto…

“His true name was Tisquantum, yet he is affectionately known to us as “Squanto.”

In 1614, Squanto was captured by a lieutenant of John Smith (remember? from Pocahontas). This shameful lieutenant attempted to sell Squanto and other Native Americans into slavery via Spain. However, some Franciscan friars discovered the plot and acquired the captured Native Americans, Squanto included. During this time, Squanto received instruction in the Catholic Faith and received holy baptism.

As a freeman, Squanto traveled to London where became a laborer in the shipyards. Here he became fluent in English. Eventually, Squanto was able to return to his Native Land, New England, in 1619 – five years after he had been kidnapped. He returned only to discover that his people were being decimated by the recently imported European diseases.

Since he was fluent in English, Squanto became well-known and valuable to the new English Pilgrims settled at Plymouth. As an English speaker, Squanto taught the Pilgrims how to fertilize the ground, grow corn, and the best places to catch fish….”

workingclass artist on November 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Happy Thanksgiving – enjoy the day and don’t forget to wear stretchy pants LOL!

gophergirl on November 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

You always crack me up, GG! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

/P.S. They now make “expandable buttons” if you can believe it!

Key West Reader on November 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Your ‘respectful’ ‘Christian’ leader.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM

KWR, I’m thankful that you post here.

All the best to you and yours.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM

ue, you too, and get/stay healthy.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Staff and all the great Conservatives on Hot Air.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM

All 5 of them? :)

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM

DarkCurrent on November 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Looks/tastes good, not overwhelmingly stuffing either.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hopefully coldwarrior is doing well after hospital/surgery.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

MEGATRON!!!

abobo on November 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

bandarlog on November 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I am grateful to be able to visit here regularly, comment occasionally, and learn from you all constantly. God bless…

StarLady on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I watched a pot today and it boiled. Well it actually boiled over.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Wethal on November 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. I’m thankful for HotAir. And, I’m thankful for those conservatives who still love freedom and the rule of law. Heaven grant that our numbers increase. G-d bless you all.

GWB on November 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone…!

*clinky!*

Seven Percent Solution on November 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Gelsomina on November 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I watched a pot today and it boiled. Well it actually boiled over.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

A pot boiling over is much more exciting than one that’s just boiling.

listens2glenn on November 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Looks/tastes good, not overwhelmingly stuffing either.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Thanks! It was great, and very filling. We had twice as much meat as shown in the picture and only four of us.

DarkCurrent on November 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM

“Gratitude is a fruit of great cultivation; you do not find it among gross people.” That was the acute observation of Dr. Johnson, to Boswell

Alas

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Belated to Happy Thanksgiving to the hosts and commenters of Hot Air. For people I don’t really know, I am crazy about you. I have lots to be thankful for and y’all are up there on the list.

Cindy Munford on November 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM