Video: Romney aide Dan Senor rips GOP officials for turning on him

posted at 6:36 pm on November 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Politico, he doesn’t name names but he’s clearly talking about Jindal and Scott Walker at least, both of whom have been outspoken in criticizing Romney’s post-election comments about Obama buying voters with taxpayer “gifts” and both of whom were at the Ohio rally that Senor mentions. Rubio and Kelly Ayotte were also there and have also had critical things to say, although their criticism was gentler. I was thinking about that gigantic Ohio rally this morning while looking at these sweet/sad pics of Romney at Disneyland. Three weeks ago, the guy was sincerely convinced that he was about to be elected president of the United States. He had a transition website in the works and everything. He watched his father’s presidential ambitions explode, suffered dozens of bitter defeats at the Senate and presidential primary levels, and endured being called a RINO and an establishment loser finally to end up that night as the star of the Republican show in front of 30,000 hopeful people. And now, three weeks later, he’s riding the teacups, with nothing to do except watch 2016′s presidential aspirants use him as a scapegoat for the party’s demographic challenges. Amazing.

When McCain lost, he went back to national business in the Senate. Dole resigned from the Senate during his presidential campaign but he’d already spent 27 years there and was in his 70s when he lost to Clinton. Before Dole, the last GOP nominee who lost an election without ever serving as president was Goldwater, and he too eventually returned to the Senate. Romney’s in uncharted waters in modern times as a guy who got tantalizingly close to the brass ring and not only didn’t get it but was immediately returned to national semi-obscurity afterward. How do you process that psychologically? It might not be as difficult for him if he were older or in worse health, as he’d at least have the relief of retirement ahead. But he doesn’t look like a man who’s eager for retirement; he’s the picture of health and vigor. Is being named CEO of some company enough to help him decelerate from being almost Leader of the Free World to waiting in line to ride Space Mountain? That’s why Senor’s so defensive on his behalf, I think. It’s not just that Jindal and Walker and other 2016 hopefuls are transparently opportunistic in clubbing him. It’s that the guy’s dealing with one of the worst cases of status whiplash in recent American history. If you’re an influential Republican, let him breathe for a minute before piling on, maybe.

Exit quotation from an unnamed Romney aide:

“Yet he went out and won the nomination,” wrote the aide in an email exchange. “Without putting in a dime of his own money. How did he do it? Well, more than anything there were the [primary season] debates. The debates proved that Romney was the most appealing Republican in the crowd. Appealing to VOTERS. Republican voters.”

“So I would be very hesitant,” the aide continued, “to believe that suddenly those who are criticizing Mitt Romney now are any more right than those who did for much of the last year and a half.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Akin was a ite the GOP had to cut loose..If the RNC would have shown any support ($$$ or ground game) the MSM would hae made it a national issue and hung it around the GOP’s neck..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I wasn’t real comfortable with how Akin was treated by the national GOP, but given the data points coming into focus, they may have actually done right by Akin after all in the big scheme of things. The problem with exit polls is that you only poll who voted. No telling how many people might have stayed home because of the Akin or Mourdock debacles, but I suspect not many given the minor influence they seemed to have on the voting electorate.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I hear you..Obie’s firewal held..:(

PS..But I think the GOP has to do a better job starting now to get the GOP message out..And it doesn’t mater if you are moderate or true con..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

When it comes to “messaging,” floating a candidate who actually believes what he’s peddling is a good start.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

As long as honest evaluation of a candidates conservatism, or lack thereof, is considered “evisceration,” the GOP will still be light years away from a proper diagnosis of what ails them.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Right…I guess it depends on your definition of honest evaluation.

When I turn on TV and I see these guys running their mouths about the gifts remark. I do not hear honest evaluation.

It is difficult to get other people to vote for your candidates if you can not manage to say something positive about them yourself. It is possible for parties to have these debates without the public spectacle.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Nobody gives a crap about Ryan. He’s a house member with no accomplishments to his name. Might as well run someone who can get demographic votes instead of votes not there

Flapjackmaka on November 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Umm.. I guess other than completely changing the conversation on entitlements and making it politically okay to embrace the third rail of politics. Yep.. those no accomplishments are why he was chosen for VP in 2012. As for demographics.. if you’d care to read my post, you’ll notice that I was mentioning that Walker isn’t going to run for President if Ryan does. They’re BFFs and Walker was in tears when Ryan was speaking at the convention. I’m not sure what minority demographic Walker represents unless balding, slighty pudgy middled aged white guys represent a huge demographic challenge for the Rs.

As for the whole weird sort of hate that the Palinbots have toward Ryan, it is sort of confusing to me. They’re both conservative Rs who probably believe most of the same things. The only two possibilities that I can think of is A. Ryan ran a cleaner, less gaffe filled VP campaign than Palin. Which makes sense because Ryan’s a Washington insider and he’s been in the spotlight for 2+ years. Palin wasn’t ready for prime time and it was a cynical move on the McCain campaign to throw her into a campaign she clearly wasn’t ready for. This is why I have no love for Steve Schmidt. Palin would have benefited from a keynote address at the 2008 convention and then four years of exposure to the national media. B. Ryan considers Palin as a lightweight.. Reading between the lines it is highly likely that he does.

Illinidiva on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

The United States has never had a chief executive as competent as Romney.

Basilsbest on February 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

The Damon case is certainly a valid subject for scrutiny of Romney’s business record. He was on the company’s board at the time criminal fraud was taking place, and his statements about his knowledge of the federal investigation have been inconsistent.

Competence!

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM

In 2008 a lot of people said, “I didn’t vote for McCain. I voted for Palin.” I have not heard anyone say, “I didn’t vote for Romney; I voted for Ryan,”

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

What message?

What do they believe in besides power?

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Mark my words, Terry, when if the GOP does go the way of the Whigs, we’ll be watching history in the making as it happens. There will be nothing about the process that occurs behind closed doors. There is simply too much at stake now.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ryan was a favorite of the base. The grass roots loved the guy.

So obviously, Romney did listen to the base. If you are right about Ryan,maybe that was a mistake.Maybe he should have gone for someone like Portman from Ohio.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Ryan was a favorite of the smaller government, economic wing of the base, but not the social conservative base. Sure he espoused conservative social values, but he didn’t emphasize that on the campaign. Perhaps that was the right call since the Economy was the #1 issue.

But that doesn’t exclusively appeal to rural, social conservatives. Portman would not have fit that mold.

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

No I don’t think Romney ran a horrid campaign. Most of us here thought he would win in a landslide, so stop re-writing history.

Romney didn’t have a party infrastructure behind him or enough time to organize a campaign to the extent necessary to beat a campaign with all the advantages of the Obama campaign which had been running for 5 years.

People here thought the poor economic conditions would drive the electorate to the GOP. I did. It seems it caused enough people to cling to the goodies offered by Obama that he won.

Unless you have the industry,intelligence, experience and success of Romney, I would suggest some humility is in order. It may not be as easy as you think.

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Are you the same person?

The United States has never had a chief executive as competent as Romney.

Basilsbest on February 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I think Romney was every bit as sincere in his beliefs as Sarah Palin ever was.

You see that is the problem…you do not know that man anymore than I know Sarah Palin, but you have decided that he does not believe what he is saying..because he was not your first pick..

I bet there were millions of Democrats out there who would rather have seen Hillary Clinton as the nominee, but it would have been a cold day in hell before they would have let a Republican hear them say that.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The GOP has a platform..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

It was obvious Romney was going to be the nominee and that the rest had serious flaws that made them unelectable. It Palin didn’t consider Romney conservatve enough she should have run (she would have been creamed) or she should have STFU instead of undermining Romney and stirring up The Cult against him.

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

What message?

What do they believe in besides power?

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Same goes for those who are still stuck on the Romney bandwagon… That song is over, move on, and no, Romney will not get my vote in 2016 and I do not care if the Democrat on the ticket is Vladimir Putin.

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Romney won the rural voters. I am a rural voter. And Ryan was enough of a social conservative for the Democrats to make an issue of his stand on abortion.

Ryan was a big favorite with conservatives at the time of his choice…by the way, this was not a great year for social conservatives.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I think Romney was every bit as sincere in his beliefs as Sarah Palin ever was.

Really? On what basis do you make that assertion?

No, I believe that on the basis of not only his 2012 campaign rhetoric, but his history and record as the chief executive of Mass-uh-chew-sits. Also the fact that he is a blue-blood Northeasterner member of the GOP, a political party which seems to have trouble believing in its platform writ-large.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

So? I have no interest in selecting the Democratic nominee. None. That is political theater to me, in the truest and most literal sense of the word “theater.” I want to defeat whoever it is. Romney failed. And the failure will be just as bad, if not worse, in 2016 regardless of who we run. You can take that to the ever-loving bank.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Just like SEIU thugs! Sit down and STFU. Just like OWS crowds, STFU.

Been this way from Romney supporters from the beginning. Cannot for the life of me wonder why Romney did not do better in the election.

astonerii on November 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Illinidiva on November 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Speaking for myself…

Ryan voted for No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, the auto bailout, Davis-Bacon wage controls, the debt ceiling, and even the FY 2012 omnibus that vitiated his own budget that he so proudly promoted.

But he do talk real purty.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Bottom line is Akin cut his on throat and should have gotten out..He didn’t hurt Romney in Missouri but there was no way Akin was going to win..:)Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Akin, and Mourdock, hurt Romney in all the non-conservative states.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

So…what are you saying? If someone loses we turn on them?

That sounds positively mercenary…

I do not think it has anything to do with being on any bandwagon. I just think it is tacky as hell to stab the man in the back after he loses the election.

He is not perfect,but he does not deserve that.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Really? Tell me more about how “electable” that also-ran loser Romney was. Tell me again how it’s all my fault, and all Sarah Palin’s fault, and all the electorate’s fault, and how he couldn’t have done anything better or more conservatively in Mass-uh-chew-sits or on the campaign trail. I never get tired of hearing it all.

On second thought, STFU and GFY, douchebag.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I do not see the GOP going away..Now if the “true cons” take over the GOP I have no problem with that..We just do not need a third party..That would not be good..imho..:)

PS..Even if the “true cons” took over the party there would still be some problems..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Then we should look at what they have done because actions speak louder than words.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Akin, and Mourdock, hurt Romney in all the non-conservative states.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Yes, they did..because they were handy propaganda for the whole war on women campaign. I think they costs votes all over the country.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Akin, and Mourdock, hurt Romney in all the non-conservative states.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I do not think so..BUT if the RNC had give money to Akin..The Lame stream media would have really hurt the GOP in other areas..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I was very pleased with the Ryan selection, but it didn’t seem like he generated a lot of excitement. Handsome guy in great shape, but not very charismatic.

bw222 on November 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Mitt’s not running again, so you will have to find someone else to hate.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

A lot of people said the same in 2008 and they meant it then and mean it now. They are voting with their feet.

The lesser of two evils game is broken.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I can’t help but wonder how many Whigs took this posture during their slow painful death throughout the 1840′s and 1850′s. The existence of the GOP is not a foregone conclusion, ladies and gentlement. Their power as a political organ is not a fait accompli, particularly if SHTF as I think it might fairly soon.

The Republican party didn’t emerge as a third party per se. It emerged as an alternative to an impotent Whig party that refused to take a stand on one of the most important political questions of the day. I mean, really guys, if you were asked “What party did the Republican party take the place of in America in 1856,” how many of you would be able to answer it without googling the answer?

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Akin, and Mourdock, hurt Romney in all the non-conservative states.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Okay..Maybe you have a point..The single women came out strong for Obie..I can’t deny that..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Yes, Romney won the rural voters, but they didn’t come out as much in participation rates as they did for Bush in ’04 or McCain/Palin in ’08. We see this in Ohio, PA and Florida.

It goes back to the primaries where Santorum/Newt did the best were in the rural counties while Romney did the best in the urban areas and the surrounding suburban areas.

The reason why Santorum lasted so long on a tiny budget was due to these rural, conservative voters.

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That is right. They do…and Romney has been a decent hard working man who is loyal to his family and his church.

He has been very successful in business. He did very well in school and applied himself. He was not lazy. He worked hard. He was a successful Governor in Mass.

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I’m telling you guys, if Akin and Mourdock would have dropped out, it wouldn’t have made a statistical dent in Romney’s numbers nationwide. Not according to exit polls.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM

So did the welfare crowd and for the same reasons. They are getting a check from the government in one form or another, and voted to their own benefit.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Not even Romneycare? I wonder why I haven’t seen any data points on how many votes Romneycare cost Mitt? I haven’t seen any, but I have funny feeling that the exit polling data probably wouldn’t fit the greater media narrative anyway.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Like I said,I live in a rural area. In my little county the vote tally was 78% Romney…22% Obama…and no one can figure out who most of them were. They keep a low profile out here.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Okay..You are correct that nothing is above failure..But the “true cons” need to try to become the majority of the GOP..Not fracture off in a third party..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

That is right. They do…and Romney Carter has been a decent hard working man who is loyal to his family and his church.

He has been very successful in business. He did very well in school and applied himself. He was not lazy. He worked hard. He was a successful Governor in Mass Georgia.

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM

That was true in Michigan, Romney won Detroit and the surrounding suburbs. Santorum won the rest of the state.

bw222 on November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Akin, and Mourdock, hurt Romney in all the non-conservative states.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

See Terrye’s comment above yours. Most of my son’s acquaintances at College were convinced that Mitt was going to outlaw abortion.

I looked at the graph of polls AP put up about 2 weeks ago. The day before Mourdock’s statement Romney had closed to 3/10s of one point. Eight days later he was 1.5 points behind.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

People are such hypocrites..I remember when that was passed and the Heritage Foundation had representatives there to sing its praises. You forget that Romneycare became an evil thing in hindsight. At the time, it was considered better than anything those Democrats would have come up with on their own.

It had the overwhelming support of the people of that state. Once upon a time that would have meant something to conservatives.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Was the overall vote total for your county higher than 2008?

sentinelrules on November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The RINOS don’t get to decide anymore than the Whigs did in 1856. If the GOP refuses to field candidates who believe in the party’s platform, it’s only a matter of time before a party that does believe in those ideals begins to subsume the GOP power base. I can only hope, and I do sincerely hope, that this time we can do it without the bloodshed that followed the disappearance of the Whigs.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Therein lies a problem..No one is going to vote for anyone they feel is going to threaten that..The GOP has to crack that group with its message and try to win some of those folks over..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM

You do nothing but bitch.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Why? Why stay when they aren’t wanted or welcome? You sneer at “true cons” and wonder that they would rather walk away?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

It means it wasn’t unconstitutional. It doesn’t make Mitt a conservative, and it sure doesn’t make Mitt fit for higher office. I don’t know on what basis you’re accusing me of hypocrisy. A governor can turn his or her own state into a socialist bastion for all I care. In my opinion, that disqualifies that candidate from further serious consideration for any federal office.

And I have some Preparation H for your butthurt if you decide you need it.

Constitutional =/= “conservative.”

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

No. They need to get people who aren’t voting to the voting booth. You aren’t going to convince people to vote away their paycheck, and its insane to try.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Hey Mitt: Exit stage left.

Progressive Heretic on November 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

We will see..I hope the GOP gets stronger and does NOT go the way of the Whigs..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

On second thought, STFU and GFY, douchebag.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:04
AM

Night night. Better luck next time.

Basilsbest on November 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

The problem is not that the GOP is refusing to field people..it is that the sort of people you want to see run are not even trying or when they do they implode. That is not the fault of the GOP.

Good Lord, Herman Cain could even launch a campaign…do you think the GOP hand picked him? How about Ron Paul? Do you think the GOP was thrilled with him running a national campaign cycle after cycle?

The problem is not the GOP..the problem is that the people doing the complaining can not come up with a candidate.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I think we need to work on getting both groups and all others for that matter..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Here we go again. “Mitt has to be conservative because Romneycare had the support of the Heritage Foundation.” Sorry Rombots. I admire much of the Heritage Foundation’s work, but they are not the ultimate arbiters of my freedom, particularly as regards presidential politics. My respect for them took a hit, as did my respect for Ann Coulter when she tried to shine up the Romneycare turd and pass it off as “conservative.”

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Me too…one thing the Republicans have on their side…reality. Sooner or later this gravy train is going to come to a halt.

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Speaking for myself…

But he do talk real purty.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Most of which your darling Sarah would have voted for if she had been in Congress at the time.. m’kay.

bw222 on November 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Am still confused by the not charismatic thing.. Yes, the pick was more of a governing pick on Romney’s part than a Hail Mary ala the Palin pick. But Ryan knows his retail politics. It isn’t a fire and brimstone charisma; it’s a Jack Kemp sort of charisma.

Illinidiva on November 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Let them walk if that is what they think they need to do..I can’t stop them..The Dems will dominate a three party system..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Terrye on November 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Terry! What part of “WE DON’T GET TO PICK!” don’t you understand?! The problem is not with individual candidates! For the love of God, the problem is systemic! The problem is with THE PARTY! ARGHGHGHG!

I did every damn thing I could to try to make things different in 2012. I did. Everything in my power as a voter, as an amateur pundit, as a GOP volunteer at the state level. There is nothing left for me to do that has not already been done.

It is utter intransigence from the likes of Karl Rove and Basilsworst that makes me believe to the very core of my being that nothing will be different in 2016. Or 2020. Or for as long as it takes for the GOP to implode. The tree has rotted from within, and there is no going back.

I’m not happy about this. I wish I could believe that there was some magic bullet, some candidate, or some policy position that would make this rot in the GOP go away. But there isn’t. The next rising star will be just as a big a disappointment as the last one was. And you’ll be hearing me say that a lot in the next four years, not because I’m working to sabotage the GOP. I’m really not, no matter how many of you want to believe however badly that I am.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Illinidiva on November 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM

No, not m’kay.

Ryan is a fake.

His plan only balances the budget in 2040, which in Washington means NEVER.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

You’re missing my point, Dire. And I hope you’re not being willfully obtuse. If the GOP goes the way of the Whigs, there won’t be a third party. The GOP will dry up like an outback billabong, and there will be a system in place to take its place.

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I want to say something about that “democrats own the media” stuff. While you are correct, I have noticed something during the past year and a half. When Sara Palin was doing her bus tour, she did not give interviews to people/organizations who had reported falsely on her in the past, and the interviews she did give were fairly reported, even by News Week. It was like she had them trained. I remember Andrea Mitchell hanging around a book signing, bemoaning the fact that she couldn’t get an interview. What Palin did worked. If you are a reporter and you can’t get an interview with a possible presidential candidate because of what an a$$hole you’ve been, you can’t do your job, which means you might not have it much longer. Don’t go on their shows, don’t give them interviews, don’t accept them as debate moderators.

Then there was Newt. Say what you want about him, but he was a freaking master at not letting the “journalist” set the tone of the questions. He got standing ovations for that, and everyone watching as well as the media knew what to expect if the “journalist” tried to pull something sleazy.

It can be done. What we lack are people with the guts to do it, and that is the sad thing.

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

That’s one of the many great qualities of Palin, imho and why I liked Gingrich. However, it’s debatable (imho) that he could have fought off his baggage in the media. He would have been spending too much time and effort fighting that off and would have run himself into circles.

Having said that, it would have been interesting to see.

And now we have the current batch two weeks out of the 2012 election chasing at the media like lovesick schoolgirls.

They didn’t learn in 2008 and it is abundantly clear that they haven’t in 2012.

But yes, 100% agreement with your statement. Who except Palin and Gingrich have the stones? Oh and Sununu (sp?) who would go and beat up on Soledad O’Brien and Andrea Mitchell, but admittedly they are low hanging fruit.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

And that is different than the Democrats/progressives/compassionate conservatives dominating a two party system in what way?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I sorry..I got your point..I just wanted to add that about the 3rd party..I was NOT being willfully obtuse..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM

We can beat the Dems although they seemed to have a strategy that is working..We can still beat them if we make some changes in our messaging and work hard..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I am sorry..I got your point..I just wanted to add that about the 3rd party..I was NOT being willfully obtuse..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

astonerii on November 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

So people wouldn’t go out and vote for someone relatively competent against a marxist corruptocrat because they got insulted on the interwebs or didn’t like some of the advocates?

You realize how silly that sounds, don’t you? It sounds suspiciously like children who pout when they don’t get their way instead of adults having to make a practical decision.

Your guy (Gingrich) didn’t get the nomination and didn’t run for president. While you can believe as hard as you can that he would have won, that’s fine, but it doesn’t change the fact that more primary voters disagreed.

It’s time to move on and do the work that needs to be done, which is to clean up the GOP or work towards a viable third party and work on getting solid conservatives in downticket races.

Or you going to sit here and pout? The more the merrier. Join us.

kim roy on November 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

No we can’t. The Republicans and the Democrats are two sides of the same coin. One panders to the left and one panders to the right, and that is the sum total of their differences.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Oh my God… “Message, message, message…yadda, yadda, yadda.” If we had a candidate who wasn’t sheepish about conservatism and didn’t run away from his own wealth in the face of Nancy Pelosi and the MSM, there wouldn’t be a message problem. You can’t communicate convincingly if you don’t believe in the message in the first place.

Dongemaharu on November 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM

If that is how you feel..BUT I see GOP and Democrats as very different..I’m part of the GOP and want NO part of the Democrats..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hey, Dire, this must be a hot thread – you’re writing more than 3 words in most all comments :)

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I didn’t READ this Post – I didn’t Click on The Video – I just realized one thing:

THIS is Allahpundit’s daily, or more frequent, contribution to the thought process of:

“How can I take the Focus OFF of Obama’s continuing Destruction of this country here and abroad – and TURN the focus to TEARING THE REPUBLICANS or The Conservatives APART?……Hmmmmmmm…”

Then you have a comments section filled with idiotic statements like:

“Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the SAME COIN!…” Which only PROVES AP’s intent..Yeah….logic like THAT which leads to “Audie Murphy and Pol Pot are just two sides of the SAME COIN!”

Of ALL the Idiotic Bloviating……yesteday I saw some FOOL comparing Sarah Palin to JOE BIDEN…Genius!!

williamg on November 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM

gryphon202 on November 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

There’s a Thanksgiving thread on QotD.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM

This thread is closed now. Go over to the QotD thread and give thanks, you knuckleheads. You act like the leftist turkeys.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

You know AP COULD have chosen to talk about THIS:

williamg on November 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I’m part of the GOP and want NO part of the Democrats..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

You mean like Obamacare/Romneycare?
Like Tarp?
Auto bailouts?
Debt ceiling increase?
Like saving entitlements?
Government subsidies?
Amnesty?
Romney passed an Assault Weapons Ban, and Obama wants to.

What part of the Democrats haven’t the Republicans already embraced?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

LoLz..Healthy debate is always good..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM

He didn’t do any better than McCain when McCain faced a much tougher battle against the brand new Obama, an economic collapse, Bush fatigue, ongoing wars, and a massive leftist turnout.

Romney is struggling to match McCain’s pathetic performance.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Good point. Very good point.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Dongemaharu on November 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM

True, very true. I agree with you in part.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM

…I don’t understand why at the Republican Convention the folks that ran it… did not reach out to the Tea Party folks.
During the Republican primary…Romney appeared at a Tea Party function a mile from my house…and when he picked Ryan…at another Tea Party sponsored appearance 10 miles from where I live.
Why at the convention and beyond did I feel no presence of the Tea Party atmosphere? (and yes…it’s an atmosphere)…whoever made that decision…lost the election!

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

What part of the Democrats haven’t the Republicans already embraced?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

They have not crawled up Obama’s azz, yet. That’ll be next, just watch.

May they all suffocate from eating his crap. It ain’t Beluga caviar.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

….good point!…(:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

It was simple for me..Whoever won the GOP primary was going to get my vote..Romney won the primary..So I voted for him..:)

PS..NO candidate is perfect..Things can be twisted and circumstances sometimes change things..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

They have not crawled up Obama’s azz, yet. That’ll be next, just watch.

May they all suffocate from eating his crap. It ain’t Beluga caviar.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

They seem to like the taste.

I know we all want to believe that there is a difference between the two but there just isn’t that much evidence that they have any fundamental differences with the Democrats. SOME Republicans are different, but most are just collecting a paycheck.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM

LoLz..Glad you all could join the debate..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

So why not just become a Cubs fan? You might get to celebrate victory more often.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

SOME Republicans are different, but most are just collecting a paycheck.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Most all politicians need to be pitchforked. They’ve forgotten that they are to represent the people…wait, they are doing that. The people have become harlots.

Either they wake up, in the still free land, or the land will go to Hades, much faster than Rome.

Mark this word – as soon as the interest rates begin to go up it will be a runaway train. You read it here first. It’s just a matter of time.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I do not know the answer..I will say the conventions are pretyy formal party stuff..Some it is usually dominated by GOP business..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I think Romney was every bit as sincere in his beliefs as Sarah Palin ever was.

What a ridiculous statement above.

Good grief. Romneys beliefs change with the wind.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

And inflation will crush whatever savings people have left.

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:19 AM

What part of the Democrats haven’t the Republicans already embraced?

sharrukin on November 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

They have not crawled up Obama’s azz, yet. That’ll be next, just watch.

May they all suffocate from eating his crap. It ain’t Beluga caviar.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I bet even Christie will fit up Barrys butt when the rest of the GOP pave the way.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I agree..That will be very bad..:)

PS..The lobbying has gotten way out of hand on all sides..It is WAY out of control..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

rofl..good one..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I want to pitchfork politicians. I’ll help you.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I do not know the answer..I will say the conventions are pretyy formal party stuff..Most of it is usually dominated by GOP business..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Sorry..Fixed it..:)

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Teehee. They keep talking about Rubio Benita flat earther, well Christie is a fat girther.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Teehee. They keep talking about Rubio Being a flat earther, well Christie is a fat girther.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

He provided the opening.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I’ll help you.

SparkPlug on November 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

We won’t get involved. We’re smarter than that. Let the masses get wild. They’ll starve soon enough.

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 1:29 AM