Video: Romney aide Dan Senor rips GOP officials for turning on him

posted at 6:36 pm on November 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Politico, he doesn’t name names but he’s clearly talking about Jindal and Scott Walker at least, both of whom have been outspoken in criticizing Romney’s post-election comments about Obama buying voters with taxpayer “gifts” and both of whom were at the Ohio rally that Senor mentions. Rubio and Kelly Ayotte were also there and have also had critical things to say, although their criticism was gentler. I was thinking about that gigantic Ohio rally this morning while looking at these sweet/sad pics of Romney at Disneyland. Three weeks ago, the guy was sincerely convinced that he was about to be elected president of the United States. He had a transition website in the works and everything. He watched his father’s presidential ambitions explode, suffered dozens of bitter defeats at the Senate and presidential primary levels, and endured being called a RINO and an establishment loser finally to end up that night as the star of the Republican show in front of 30,000 hopeful people. And now, three weeks later, he’s riding the teacups, with nothing to do except watch 2016′s presidential aspirants use him as a scapegoat for the party’s demographic challenges. Amazing.

When McCain lost, he went back to national business in the Senate. Dole resigned from the Senate during his presidential campaign but he’d already spent 27 years there and was in his 70s when he lost to Clinton. Before Dole, the last GOP nominee who lost an election without ever serving as president was Goldwater, and he too eventually returned to the Senate. Romney’s in uncharted waters in modern times as a guy who got tantalizingly close to the brass ring and not only didn’t get it but was immediately returned to national semi-obscurity afterward. How do you process that psychologically? It might not be as difficult for him if he were older or in worse health, as he’d at least have the relief of retirement ahead. But he doesn’t look like a man who’s eager for retirement; he’s the picture of health and vigor. Is being named CEO of some company enough to help him decelerate from being almost Leader of the Free World to waiting in line to ride Space Mountain? That’s why Senor’s so defensive on his behalf, I think. It’s not just that Jindal and Walker and other 2016 hopefuls are transparently opportunistic in clubbing him. It’s that the guy’s dealing with one of the worst cases of status whiplash in recent American history. If you’re an influential Republican, let him breathe for a minute before piling on, maybe.

Exit quotation from an unnamed Romney aide:

“Yet he went out and won the nomination,” wrote the aide in an email exchange. “Without putting in a dime of his own money. How did he do it? Well, more than anything there were the [primary season] debates. The debates proved that Romney was the most appealing Republican in the crowd. Appealing to VOTERS. Republican voters.”

“So I would be very hesitant,” the aide continued, “to believe that suddenly those who are criticizing Mitt Romney now are any more right than those who did for much of the last year and a half.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Don’t confuse my vote with my support, please.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Whatever.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM

So, what you are saying there is that you lied and cannot back up your claim.

Saying that if there happens to be one, that is what is to be.

Nice to know.

Delusional much?

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Romney did not support amnesty. A lot of people think that hurt him.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

That’s one of the things I liked about Romney.

Today we live in a politically correct world. Many Republicans (even Rand Paul) are jumping on the amnesty bandwagon. No politician has the courage to discuss the financial burden an amnesty will place on the country.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

What makes you think the people who sat out the election were conservatives?

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Because many of them did exactly that in 2008 and Romney didn’t even beat McCain’s total. On Hot air and other websites posters have said exactly that. Many said before the election they wouldn’t vote for Romney and I imagine most of them eventually did, but not all.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I don’t want to offend people…but if the socalled base was not ready to go out and vote for Romney instead of Obama..then we need a new base. That just pisses me off. What the hell? They moaned about Obama for years…and then they sit home? Screw them.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

+ 100..Hear..Hear!..:)

PS..Sorry for the strike..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

MORE FOR YOU GROPER

Still want more?

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM

So she didn’t object to the idea of a brokered convention when specifically asked. You still haven’t answered my question. Where did she specficially “call for” a brokered convention? I can google a shit-ton of links about other people talking about it and taking quotes out of context. But I still think you’re projecting.

Palin objected to the same shit I objected to: The idea that having the primary system effectively closed at the end of April (which it was), is somehow necessary to preserving the integrity of the system. It is because of that exact sort of thinking that folks such as I, who live in states with June primaries, get shit-on by the media and the early-primary states.

In the interest of full disclosure, I would have loved to see a brokered convention happen. Hold three or four votes, then choose the nominee. It’s not apocalyptic. At the same time, I knew the chance of it happening was realistically virtually nonexistent. And I’m convinced that so did Palin. The amount that you pseudoconservative pseudointellectual elites can read into her words that simply isn’t there just astonishes me!

Rombots got exactly what they wanted. At every step of the way. And Obama won. Romney lost. These are simple facts, not open to debate or interpretation.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Well then they are not conservatives. They are crybabies.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

STILL WANT MORE GROPER ?

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Well then they are not conservatives. They are crybabies.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Is God a crybaby?

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Well then they are not conservatives. They are crybabies.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

And btw, 7 million more people voted for Obama when he was running against McCain. The point is not that fewer conservatives voted..I think they actually did vote…the point is that people who were not really interested in politics all that much did not bother to vote. The bases did turn out.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

STILL WANT MORE GROPER ?

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Real Liberal Politics, no corporate money.

Wow, I love your sources! LOL NUT.

You really do plan to be on Romney’s God planet…

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

MORE FOR YOU GROPER

Still want more?

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

“I want the process to continue” = “I want a brokered convention?”

Weaksauce, dude…hell, beyond weaksauce. That tea is so weak I can’t believe you used any tea leaves at all. But keep on going with that chicken. Someday your crotch might get sore and you’ll decide to stop.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mitt lost because of his own shortcomings.
portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Mitt didn’t lose. He’s been a winner his whole life. We lost because of people like you. Mitt did his job. He won Independents by 5%. The bigots and purists didn’t vote.

Basilsbest on November 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Basilbeast has lost touch with reality. Mitt

Mitt ran harder than we deserved. He left nothing on the table.

Basilsbest on November 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Romney did his job. He won Independents. “Conservatives” like you didn’t vote for him. You cost us the election.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Well then they are not conservatives. They are crybabies.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Is God a crybaby?

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Excuse me?

BTW,I wondered if you saw my post on medicare fraud. I really do not think that Romney profited from any kind of known medicare fraud,because if it is known…they get their money. I have seen it happen.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Why so many whites sat out this election is a mystery. I have a conservative friend who lives in an upper middle class suburb of Detroit. He said he went to his “lily white” precinct at 4:30 and was surprised there was no line. This is a typical area (not a huge number of Tea Party members, Evangelicals or other groups that might be turned off by Romney).

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Mitt ran harder than we deserved. He left nothing on the table.

Basilsbest on November 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

We didn’t deserve Romney.

Bwaa haaa haaa!!

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Not that it matter because it doesn’t..But you might want to check your totals..McCain didn’t get more votes than Romney..At least wiki doesn’t show that..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

When Rubio was asked about the age of Earth, he should have said “16 Trillion”, and then hammered it as if he meant it. Let the reporter ponder if it was a debt comment, or a mockery of the question.
budfox on November 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Absolutely. He doesn’t even need to be that clever, just find a way to tie stupid-a$$ questions to Obama.

Dongemaharu on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

+ 100..Hear..Hear!..:)

PS..Sorry for the strike..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 10:55

Thank you. Most people just get mad at me. I like hear hear much better.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Anyone who supports Palin after that imbecility is a member of a cult.

Basilsbest on November 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Unity.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM

My prediction for 2016:

We’ll run the same kind of candidate for the same reason. And when that candidate loses once again to a flaming progressive, conservatives will once again get all the blame despite the fact that the Republican party, if it even exists in its current form in 2016, was still too chickenshit to run a conservative.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I think that once all the votes were counted they were within thousands of each other…but Obama really did lose a lot of votes. That is why the margin was closer.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My prediction for 2016:

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My prediction is that folks like you will not get it together to run someone you can actually stomach and will instead sit back and take pot shots at whoever finally does get the nomination…and that nominee will have to fight both you and the Democrat.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

2008 John McCain had nearly 60 million votes.

2004 Bush had 62 million votes.

Romney? He barely matched what McCain had in 2008 and that was worse than Bush who was deeply unpopular with conservatives due to his ‘compassioante conservatism’.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The rest of you can cling to the fantasy that a woman of mediocre education and intelligence is going to save us.

Basilsbest on November 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Unity.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

what does it matter? My state’s primary is in JUNE. I don’t get any kind of say in it to begin with! But Gawd-awlmighty-forbid I should suggest that the primary season stay contested any longer than it does! Morons like Basilsworst will be shouting “BROKERED CONVENTION! BROKERED CONVENTION!” as if it means the end of America as we know it.

Mitt won the nomination on a plurality. There were no other names on my state’s primary ballot by the time it rolled around here. THAT is a large part of the problem, as far as I’m concerned.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

That is correct..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

2008 John McCain had nearly 60 million votes.

2004 Bush had 62 million votes.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

And you hated McCain too right?

And here you are taking pot shots at compassionate conservatism…Bush won didn’t he?

I think the demographics are against the Republicans. I think they have to find ways to reach out to younger voters and women voters…and I am not talking about pandering either. However, the idea that somehow or other Republicans are losing because they are too liberal seems ridiculous to me when see a man like Barack Hussein Obama winning his second term..Apparently this country is not as conservative as a lot of people thought it was.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

They got almost exactly the same, and this is with Romney’s advantage of a larger population, and a wounded president Obama.

McCain did far better than Romney, and McCain was terrible.

59,948,323
59,966,534

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

BROKERED CONVENTION? I’D BE THERE TO HELP SAYS PALIN. ( SURE SHE WOULD. ENCOURAGING A BROKERED CONVENTION SO SHE CAN HELP HERSELF TO THE SPOILS WHEN SHE DIDN’T HAVE THE COURAGE TO RUN)

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

First PoliticsUSA, and now Politico? How much effort do you have to put into finding anti-Palin screeds at anti-Palin sites, BB? And I still haven’t seen a quote where she calls for a brokered convention. Just a bunch of progtards slathering over her refusal to distance herself from the prospect. And yes, I do draw a distinction there.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

+ 100..Hear..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

…Loud and Clear!
oh…and as to the other discussion going on about amnesty…fluke amnesty!…laws were meant to be broken?…hasn’t worked for any citizen in this country!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

As for medicare fraud, I answered you. He sold the company just before the feds came in… there is more in my longer post.

As for God being a cry baby…

When ever God’s people forsake him, he sent them out into the desert for punishment and to let them come to their senses.

Is god a cry baby? He did not get what he wanted and he decided not to give gifts to the Jews, forcing them to live nomadic poor and dangerous lives as opposed to their fruitful lives they were enjoying while ignoring his commandments. Since God gave humans free will, he does not force them to think or physically do things by his will. It has to be their own… His only tool for getting them to do what he wants is sticks and carrots, in the old testament that is…

The only power over the politicians we have is our vote. The only power we have to steer the direction of the government is our vote. The only way the Republican party can find its proper senses is to sometimes be out in the wilderness, as when they have power too long, they tend to take it for granted and begin turning to progressive policies as opposed to conservative ones, as it did from 1999 through 2006 when we threw them out into the wilderness. We gave them a shot in 2010 to show they really meant it when they said enough. They did not do anything we asked them to do in the mean time… So, a conservative can easily stay home and let the Republican party suffer and be a conservative. Conservative is not synonymous with REPUBLICAN. As I am a conservative, and once my contract is done here and I go back home, I will be changing my party affiliation to none.

After Romney, the republican party can no longer take my vote for granted. No votes, no money, no feet on the ground until they deliver tangible action!

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I gained a lot of respect for Mitt Romney as a human being and believe he ran a hard campaign (unlike the McCain campaign, where everyone except Palin dropped out around mid-October).

Romney’s campaign staff was almost as bad as McCain’s. They believed Crossroads America polling. Romney and Ryan spent much of the last three days in Minnesota and Pennsylvania, where they lost by large margins. The ORCA system was down most of election day so people who volunteered for the GOTV effort were unable to be productive. I have read some real horror stories from volunteers on other sites. Campaign spokespeople said some really dumb things to the national media. The Romney campaign was paying as much as four times what Obama was paying by buying non-preemptive spots.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And you hated McCain too right?

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

And what else could possibly matter than a victory for the Red Team?

Sadly for some of us, we have these silly things called principles that keep getting in the way of supporting guys like Obama and Romney.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

He won because the field was not all that great. Come on..we know that. Romney was better than the rest of them.

I do think they need to make some changes in the primary system. Our primary in Indiana is in May.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I look for a push to move every state primary up and have convention in June next cycle..:)

PS..Tha may not move your primary up in the pecking order but it will be earlier next time I predict..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I think the convention should be earlier too. June might not be something they can do…but I think they used to have the convention in July. I think Iowa should lose its place..nothing against Iowa, but we need to shake things up.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

How can you tell when someone is badly losing an online debate?

WHEN THEY RESORT TO TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

McCain did far better than Romney, and McCain was terrible.

59,948,323
59,966,534

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Using older numbers….

Romney’s current vote total: 60,192,833

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

And he lost! How do you account for that?! Blaming conservatives sure as SHIT isn’t going to help the GOP in 2016 when it’s conservative support you’re looking for!

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

How about compacting the primary dates so that the nominee is chosen later, after a shorter primary season? That may be more likely to result in a brokered convention, but so be it. Cest la vie. That wouldn’t bother me one bit.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Using older numbers….

Romney’s current vote total: 60,192,833

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

So?

You could add a million more and its still a pathetic performance just like John McCain’s was.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Mitt is tied in polls which over-sample Democrats. He is winning if Rasmussen’s Party Identification poll – where the GOP has a 4.3 point advantage – is correct.

Romney’s biggest problem is that conservative pundits are hopeless amateurs and Democratic Party pundits (90% of the MSM) are real professionals who know how to play the game of politics.

Republicans now enjoy a 4 point advantage in Party Identification but few conservative pundits know this, or understand the implications. Instead they allow dishonest polls, which use 2008 turnout models and worse, to give them the willies.

Romney is winning if you unskew the polls and weight them according to current Party Identification.

Following my links may not make your day, but it may give you a reason not to believe the bs the Obama Media is feeding you and which most conservative pundits are too stupid to counteract.

Basilsbest on September 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You were not only wrong, but you insult anyone who questions you, no matter how wrong you are.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I’m really beyond caring at this point. If we get the same shitty slate of progressive records in our candidates in 2016 that we had last time, eff it.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

This is a major problem with the GOP.

They don’t believe what they are selling.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

So?

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Well, not as pathetic…probably thanks to Citizens United.

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

And what else could possibly matter than a victory for the Red Team?

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I have principles. For one thing,I consider this debt we are piling up to be crime against future generations. Because of this belief I voted for the candidate that I felt was most likely to deal with this debt.

Some people sat back and said to themselves that unless and until I get the perfect candidate I will do nothing about the issues I claim to care so much about.

That does not sound principled to me so much as immature.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

That makes a lot of sense.I am in Michigan and our primary was Feb. 28. I think people are really getting sick of the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary having such an impact every year.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Romney did par with the McCain turnout..Romney will get most of the blame..He was at the top of ticket..I think they expect that..But I think it is unfair to give it all to him..Some goes to the GOP messaging..We must do better..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Palin stirs up morons who are too stupid to understand what would happen if there was a brokered convention

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Curious: The actual headline at that link is “Brokered Convention Talk and Sarah Palin Create a Stir”

It is not “Sarah Palin’s talk of a brokered convention creates a stir.”

Dude, if you’re going to make weak tea, at least use some effing tea leaves!

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Any serious imperfection in Mitt’s campaign is as a result of the Republican primary going on far too long. Mitt was up against a campaign of an incumbent president who not only had the full support of the media and entertainment industries, etc but whose campaign had been running for 5 years.

Basilsbest on November 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Mitt can do no wrong. Mitt is perfect.

You are delusional.

Mitt Romney has been running for President since 2006. Which is 1 year longer than you claim that Obama has been running.

Do you think before you comment?

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

This is a major problem with the GOP.

They don’t believe what they are selling.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I think Bill Whittle is brilliant. I think it is because of speeches like this that I think Bill Whittle is brilliant. Unfortunately, I do not have a ready solution for this problem aside from waiting for the GOP to go the way of the Whigs.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Well, not as pathetic…probably thanks to Citizens United.

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Romney had a larger population base which means he did worse, and he was facing a damaged Obama presidency.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Well then do something about it…I mean come on..If Herman Cain can run then surely it is not all that damn difficult to find someone.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

That is not going to happen.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

It will tkea “earth moving ” event to get Iowa out of the first slot..Those folks would go bonkers..:)

PS..I think all caucuses need to go the way of the Dinosaurs..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Palin made a statement about a brokered convention and it lasted one day on the news circuit.

Will you give it a rest? It had nothing to do with the fact that Mitt Romney had been preparing for 6+ years and chose a totally incompetent campaign leadership that played a major role in his loss.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

And then what? Get shit on in a primary system that I don’t even have a voice in? Listen to the same old bullshit about how we have to run a “moderate?” I wish it were that easy, that I could just wave a magic wand and get my favorite raconteur and/or businessman to run at my whim. That’s not how real life works.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Of course it was a mistake nominating him, but the field wasn’t that great and every candidate had issues.

Having said that, I’m not sure what tone you (and others) would have liked Romney to take with Obama considering the democrats own the media.

kim roy on November 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I want to say something about that “democrats own the media” stuff. While you are correct, I have noticed something during the past year and a half. When Sara Palin was doing her bus tour, she did not give interviews to people/organizations who had reported falsely on her in the past, and the interviews she did give were fairly reported, even by News Week. It was like she had them trained. I remember Andrea Mitchell hanging around a book signing, bemoaning the fact that she couldn’t get an interview. What Palin did worked. If you are a reporter and you can’t get an interview with a possible presidential candidate because of what an a$$hole you’ve been, you can’t do your job, which means you might not have it much longer. Don’t go on their shows, don’t give them interviews, don’t accept them as debate moderators.

Then there was Newt. Say what you want about him, but he was a freaking master at not letting the “journalist” set the tone of the questions. He got standing ovations for that, and everyone watching as well as the media knew what to expect if the “journalist” tried to pull something sleazy.

It can be done. What we lack are people with the guts to do it, and that is the sad thing.

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yes,they do. It is like marketing..they need to do a better job of selling themselves to voters.

I am not saying they need to pander to people, but they do need to a better job with outreach.

And people with ideas need to run for office. It is not enough to just complain.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Mitt is a gentleman who appeals to the intellect, not a street fighter.

Basilsbest on November 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

That’s why Romney lost.

Obama was a street fighter and while he was pounding Romney in the face, Mitt was telling Obama he was punching him incorrectly and offering him advice on how to strike a more effective blow.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Romney bought a primary victory and brought the obamafication of the Republican party into existence, destroying civil discourse as Romney fanatics are about as civil as an SEIU crowd, and OWS rally or a Wisconsin Teachers Union protest march, and in so doing, he lost an eminently winnable election against a President presiding over an 8% propaganda unemployment rate, a stagnant economy, trillion dollar deficit spending every year, lowered credit rating, disastrous foreign policies, a reduction in average wages, even as many of those unemployed were already in the lower income brackets, record long term unemployment numbers, record food stamp users, solyndra and legion other failed “investments”, no passed budget in 3 years, …

But it is Palin’s fault. is there nothing this woman is incapable of making happen?

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

That is not going to happen.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Argument by assertion much, Terry? I don’t know when it will happen. Honestly, I’m not sure if it will happen. But I do think that it’s the only sure cure for what ails us. The next GOP rising star will disappoint just as surely as McCain, Romney, and Boehner have.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Romney criticized Obama for cutting $716 billion from Medicare and Romney pledged to restore it.

Where was Romney going to cut $716 billion from?

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Obama isn’t the perfect candidate either so I guess that means conservatives should be fine with voting for him as well?

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Romney was an excellent candidate who ran a great campaign outperforming his party. He lost for many reasons including a stupid electorate and the fact leftist pundits beat the brains out of conservative pundits – who have no clue how to play the game.

Basilsbest on November 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

One again, Romney lost because of everyone else. Romney was perfect, and we are all flawed.

You know Romney is mortal, right?

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yes, but the same Liberal Media that destroyed Palin, Bush Sr., Bush Jr. Dole, Cheney, Newt, Bachmann and probably Santorum/Perry if he got the nomination.

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Romney had a larger population and a wounded Obama. He did worse than McCain.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Basilsbest -

Are you going to respond to my comments on the Romney Campaign Staff blunders or are you going to continue with this “brokered convention” nonsense.

Do you believe the Romney Campaign Staff (not the candidate) ran a horrid campaign?

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Any response Basilsbest or are you still going to say it was Sarah Palin’s fault? bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

In addition to all of the other disadvantages of running against an incumbent president Romney was up against a campaign which had been running for 5 years. Sarah Palin didn’t run, yet she encouraged the prolongation of the Republican primary in the stupid and selfish hope that she would be picked at a brokered convention. After Romney sewed up the nomination, she basically sat out the campaign.

Members of her cult continued to attack Romney throughout the election campaign. They were here in drives, gloating on election night.

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That’s why Romney lost.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I do not think that was it. I am not saying Romney was perfect or anything like that…but I know that here in Indiana Romney ran ahead of Pence and Pence is a fighter.

I think it is something else. I think it is the electorate. The voters themselves. They have decided that they want to be taken care of…and until and unless they change that attitude it will take more than street fighting to win elections.

I know people who do not even like Obama,but they voted for him anyway. For fear they would lose something.It is scary to see this change in the public.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

In addition to unqualified support from the corrupt media, academia and the entertainment industry Obama ran for a party with a base. Romney ran for a party with no base.

Basilsbest on November 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Wrong. Romney tried to win an election WITHOUT the base.

He and his minions were so arrogant, they told the base to take a hike.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I don’t always agree with him, but this was brilliant.

I hope the GOP dies. It needs to happen and they stand for nothing in any case.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Romney had a larger population and a wounded Obama. He did worse than McCain.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Romney also had more people on the dole. Obama might be wounded, but he hands out a lot of free stuff. I am not just trying to defend Romney here, I am serious, the American people have changed in the last few years. I think it is almost a backlash to 2010.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Basilsbest on November 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Wrong. Romney tried to win an election WITHOUT the base.

He and his minions were so arrogant, they told the base to take a hike.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

The majority of us nominated Romney. You refused to accept our decision. You are not the base. You are saboteurs.

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Wrong. Romney tried to win an election WITHOUT the base.

He and his minions were so arrogant, they told the base to take a hike.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That is simply not true. I know a lot of life long Republicans who worked very hard for Romney. They are the base and they never felt as if anyone was telling them to take a hike.

That is just nuts.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

That does not sound principled to me so much as immature.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Romney gave lip service to the debt, but his past argued against him fixing it.

His entire career has been spending money to get things done.

Bain, perfect example. Buy a company, hock it to the sky, make some tweaks to its structure, extract a large portion of the borrowed money out and give to friends and cronies, get a rating agency to give it good reviews and offload it.

Sure, a few of Bain’s investments went well, like Staples. Some of the others survived the monetization of their assets, but others failed or performed worse than if they had went through bankruptcy and been sold off with no debt overhanging them. Arguing that that is capitalism is like arguing Rome was the premier capitalist nation, as it went out and conquered nations, looted their cities and put their people to work creating more wealth to be plundered and handed the reigns of rule over to some general or aristocrat. In the end, many of those cities became very valuable and prosperous after being plundered and being turned over to new “management”.

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I think that was part of it, but I still think it’s an incomplete diagnosis. Obama’s promise of free stuff was one of several reasons that Romney lost, and I actually think it’s far from the most important one.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

The result speaks not to Mitt’s genius which has been objectively proven by his phenomenal success in the market using nothing but his industry, knowledge and brains but speaks to the intelligence of the electorate, which like yours, is so sadly lacking that this needs to be explained to you.

Basilsbest on November 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Mitt is so genius, and the electorate are too stupid to see how much of a smarty McGenius Mitt is?

Bwaa haa haa.

You’re such a joke, basilsbest.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

This is true…They were.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Basilsbest on November 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Romney ran a great campaign even though his staff couldn’t operate the GOTV effort on election day because the ORCA GOTV system was working until around 6 PM Eastern Time? You are even more delusional than bluegill.

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

That is just nuts.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Pauline Kael much, Terry? The folks who felt insulted by Romney and various members of his campaign staff aren’t real likely to end up working for him, are they?

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

You are correct..We (GOP)has got to do better with the GOP message with voters of all races in the urban areas..We have somewhat become the party of the “rural country”..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

That is just nuts.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Terrye, Romney tried to win through independents and cross over democrats. He ignored the base, took them for granted, and assumed that the hatred for Obama was reason enough for the base to turn out.

Many Life long republicans are purely party people. They work hard for anyone with an R next to their name.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Romney had a larger population and a wounded Obama. He did worse than McCain.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Tre..But Romney made some gains in key states just not enough..:)

PS..See the map in the Headlines..It is very interesting..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I don’t. I think America has changed.

There were other reasons.Look at that gender gap. Like it or not, Mourdock and Akin probably cost the GOP millions of votes from young women many of whom actually believe that conservatives want to deprive them of birth control and force them to have babies conceived during a gang rape. There were a lot of things, but the truth is people are not as conservative as a lot of us thought they were..and the stigma is gone from taking help. People have no compunction at all about taking money from the government. They are libertine in their social values and they desire security more than freedom.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The United States has never had a chief executive as competent as Romney.

Basilsbest on February 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Heh.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I think that’s a fair argument.

Hypothetical, if Romney chose Santorum, Newt, Huckabee, Palin or another social conservative as VP, would the base have come out in bigger droves?

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I don’t. I think America has changed.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Eh, so far the exit polls suggest that Akin and Mourdock were mostly non-factors on the national scene. I think the largest problem that Romney faced was far more fundamental to his campaign, and one that would have taken far more than the rhetoric of a “moderate” to solve. But until unless the GOP diagnoses the disease correctly, there will be no cure going forward.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Romney had a larger population and a wounded Obama. He did worse than McCain.

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

True..But Romney made some gains in key states just not enough..:)

PS..See the map in the Headlines..It is very interesting..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I think so.

Paul Ryan is a great representative. But what did he bring to the ticket? He was no regional help. He didn’t deliver his state, his district, his geographic region, his Catholic faith, nothing.

Reagan picked Bush because it unified a the party during a blood bath style 1980 GOP nomination run.

Romney’s pick of Ryan might have been a fatal death blow.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Tre..But Romney made some gains in key states just not enough..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way.” - Arthur Wellington Barack Obama

sharrukin on November 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yes, that is true…but more of those life long Republicans voted for Romney than any other candidate. That means that trashing the man is trashing their choice…and of course he tried to get Independents. So what?

Romney was conservative enough for the liberal media to treat the man like the second coming of Hitler.

When did Romney ignore the base?During the primaries? I don’t think so…during the debates? I don’t think so. No, he did not ignore the base..the problem is that Republicans and many conservatives just have to form that circular firing squad.

Democrats can and do lose elections, but they stick together in the face of the opposition and a lot of the debate they have is internal. They do not feel the need to eviscerate one another in public. Believe it or not that does nothing to help win elections either.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

“..and the stigma is gone from taking help.”

+100. When people came to America 100 years ago, they usually received help from churches, ethnic fraternal organizatione, etc. After about three months Fr. Murphy would walk up and say, “Patrick, shouldn’t you be finding a job pretty soon?”

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Akin was a ite the GOP had to cut loose..If the RNC would have shown any support ($$$ or ground game) the MSM would hae made it a national issue and hung it around the GOP’s neck..:)

Dire Straits on November 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

As long as honest evaluation of a candidates conservatism, or lack thereof, is considered “evisceration,” the GOP will still be light years away from a proper diagnosis of what ails them.

gryphon202 on November 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Romney’s pick of Ryan might have been a fatal death blow.

portlandon on November 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Ryan was a favorite of the base. The grass roots loved the guy.

So obviously, Romney did listen to the base. If you are right about Ryan,maybe that was a mistake.Maybe he should have gone for someone like Portman from Ohio.

Terrye on November 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Basilsbest -

bw222 on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

No I don’t think Romney ran a horrid campaign. Most of us here thought he would win in a landslide, so stop re-writing history.

Romney didn’t have a party infrastructure behind him or enough time to organize a campaign to the extent necessary to beat a campaign with all the advantages of the Obama campaign which had been running for 5 years.

People here thought the poor economic conditions would drive the electorate to the GOP. I did. It seems it caused enough people to cling to the goodies offered by Obama that he won.

Unless you have the industry,intelligence, experience and success of Romney, I would suggest some humility is in order. It may not be as easy as you think.

Basilsbest on November 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM