Poll: Chris Christie’s popularity gets a big boost…

posted at 8:56 pm on November 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is sitting atop many Republicans’ you-know-what-list these days, after what seemed like some unnecessarily excessive displays of ultra-bipartisan praise of Obama in the pre-election wake of Hurricane Sandy. Yes, everyone understands that he’s the Republican governor of a blueish state and that some well-placed schmoozing to the federal government can help him gain more federal resources for his domain, but it did seem kind of over-the-top, especially after Romney gave him the keynote slot at the Republican National Convention. As Allahpundit already noted, it’s tough to believe that Christie wasn’t milking the situation for all it was worth to appeal to Democrats ahead of what could come down to a tough gubernatorial race against Newark Mayor Cory Booker, and he all-too-aptly demonstrated that for all of his conservative bombast, he’s got plenty of wily politician in him, too.

Apparently, it worked out pretty well for him — maybe not with the GOP on the whole, but at least in terms of his state-reelection prospects, it definitely gave him a popularity-boost. Via the WSJ:

Nearly two-thirds of respondents to the Rutgers-Eagleton Poll released Wednesday had a favorable view of Christie, a 17 percentage point gain from the institute’s last poll in September. …

In terms of  Christie’s response to the storm, 92% of the 1,225 residents polled said he handled it very well, including a large number of women, Democrats and those earning less than $50,000. Christie has struggled to maintain the support of women and lower-income residents in the past. …

Republicans nationally have criticized Christie for his support of President Barack Obama‘s response to the storm in New Jersey, but 81% of those polled said it was a sign of “needed cooperation.” Only 12% thought the gestures went too far.

By comparison, the poll notes, Cory Booker’s favorability rating was around 50 percent, and such a big lead over Booker isn’t a bad way for Christie to start off the yearlong countdown to the November 2013 New Jersey gubernatorial race. I don’t know that anybody doubts that Christie is keeping a weather eye on a possible 2016 bid, and if he can get just get reelected back to his governorship, then he’ll be in a prominent position to nurse his image and really start romancing the Republican party. …Weird stuff, this political business.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He’s becoming a Rock Star..

Kinda like Obama..
Just not Eye Candy status..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

How many times did they poll Coulter? Inquiring minds want to know.

predator on November 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Don’t believe the polls! They over-sample democrats. It’s just propaganda. Christie is really in the low 20s.

keep the change on November 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Not where I live.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

…fatso knew what he was doing!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

So it will be Biden /Christie 2016, right ?
:O

burrata on November 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

The fat man that loves Obama can rot in Jersey. #photo-op was pure political BS Christy and real conservatives know it.

Rovin on November 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM

He’s dead to me.

Curtiss on November 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Poll: Chris Christie’s popularity gets a big boost…

Yes, amongst Marxists, Democrats and Fifth Column Treasonous Media bastards. Republicans on the other hand despise him.

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Slobbering love affair…

Philly on November 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And Springsteen! Don’t forget Springsteen!

predator on November 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He’s becoming a Rock Star..

Kinda like Obama..
Just not Eye Candy status..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Oh for the Love of Elvis Presley please stop insulting us Rock
Stars. Christie will NEVER EVER be a Rock Star.

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Good thing, since his slobbering display over Bronco Bamma pretty much guarantees his political career ends at the state line. Jackazz.

NoLeftTurn on November 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Look, NJ suffered a lot of damage with Sandy. It’s an emotional time, and Christie has had an opportunity to establish creds even though it meant kissing BO’s a$$.

He will be gobsmacked by Booker. Heck, Booker runs into flaming buildings to save old ladies. He’s black. He has Dem creds…. big time. Think about it… when was the last time a Dem ever did anything heroic or self-sacrificing? (or a Republican, for that matter.)

And NJ is a Dems state. Buh, bye, Christie. Hope you enjoyed sucking up to the SCFAOMF.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

He and Judge Roberts should get a room.

CW on November 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

No conservative or a Republican should give a damn about this traitor…

mnjg on November 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Erika I wouldn’t translate popular Northeast Republican to friend of the base right now and that is leaving out the Obama-Sandy knife in the back. No one is going to forget it in 4 years when there are multiple candidates to choose from people get eliminated for simple reasons. Consider Palin didn’t even run in 2012. Getting the ball rolling for President is hard if you start with any handicap that sticks out in people’s mind.

Conan on November 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

And Springsteen! Don’t forget Springsteen!

predator on November 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Bruce’s politics may suck, but Bruce is actually a very nice and caring human being. He just suffers from a form of social isolation and narcissism which causes him to think he understands politics and people far better than he really does.

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Good. Keep him there.

AshleyTKing on November 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

no fat rinos. scott walker 2016

newrouter on November 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Christie will NEVER EVER be a Rock Star.

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Did I forget a sarc tag?

I think I did..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Did I forget a sarc tag?

I think I did..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

<—– this is my oops face…. ;p

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

He will be gobsmacked by Booker

And NJ is a Dems state. Buh, bye, Christie.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Booker will be the Governor of New Jersey in 2014 and the Donk nominee for President in 2016.

Probably win, too.

The Fat Man is nothing to me anymore. Rot with Mittens and Johnny Mac in Loserville.

Bruno Strozek on November 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

If they nominate Fatboy 2016, I wont have to sit around like this year and wonder who it was that didn’t vote. I’ll know.

rik on November 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Poll: Chris Christie’s popularity gets a big boost…

He still won’t be reelected. Not unless Corzine decides to run again.

Rocks on November 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I still won’t vote for him if nominated in 2016.

hawkman on November 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

No way, no how, no Christie. I have never supported him for national office and now I absolutely don’t support him for national office.

deepdiver on November 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Oh, forgot: the Fat Man had his 15 minutes on SNL, so he’ll always have that.

Bruno Strozek on November 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Poll: Chris Christie’s popularity gets a big boost…
=====================================================

And yet,the day of the Presser,in which Obama,and the corrupt Democrat sex scandal guy was present,it still haunts me to this
day,er,with Christie part of the
“Obama Cares For New Yorkers PR Circus”! I mean!
(A tad sarc).

canopfor on November 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Wide screen TVs made it on the scene just in time..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Kinda like Obama..
Just not Eye Candy status..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Well, that’s an understatement.

Christie is a visual nightmare.

Dare I say it? He’s way too fat… way too fat. I mean, seriously, how much does it cost to feed this guy?

OK. I’m ready for the rest of the foodie, fatties to scream at me.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

no fat rinos. scott walker 2016

newrouter on November 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Christie has no chance of winning his re-election, nevermind the presidency in 2016, Scott Walker is also a blue state gov… I say Rand Paul or someone like him or I vote L for the rest of my life.

So yeah, I’m probably never voting R again. It’s liberating.

Timin203 on November 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

The best gig that fatboy could hope for is spot at seaworld

rik on November 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

canopfor on November 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Check out that pic.

Obama: “Nice jugs ya got there, fat boy.”

predator on November 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Kinda like Obama..
Just not Eye Candy status..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

What?? you don’t like BBQ.

rik on November 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The best gig that fatboy could hope for is spot at seaworld

rik on November 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If you’re calling him a white whale, that’s kinda racist./

Oh, right…. I forgot….. wrong rules.

Anyway, you’re spot on.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Christie is a visual nightmare.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

So is “The View”…

Just think if President Christie was on The View..

“Pan And Scan” comes to mind..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Maybe Obama will campaign for him next year for re-election- NOT!

Stupid, tubby, you traitor!

Danielvito on November 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I hope he stays in Jersey. Don’t think 2016 voters will allow another Northeast moderate onto the ticket next time.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Republican voters will be told that Christie is the only GOPe who can beat the Dem, and they will do as they are told…and lose again.

james23 on November 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Just my opinion, but the theory that Christie’s Obama embrace moment cost us the election is the silliest of all the post election memes.

Anton on November 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So is “The View”…

Just think if President Christie was on The View..

“Pan And Scan” comes to mind..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

You’re right about The View. What a bunch of harpies. Ugh……

Gosh, Pres. Christie on The View? They would have to buy a bigger sofa, reinforce the stage, and find some way for Whoopi to sit on his lap.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Can we preserve this thread in suspended animation so that after Christie wins the next GOP nomination I won’t be called a TruCon for not liking him all that much? :)

Dongemaharu on November 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Well of course it does. NJ is blue, an Obama stronghold and Christy sucked up to the Messiah-King

clippermiami on November 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Eh, my view is that Christe prioritized his actual job as Governor over the political landscape.

Something I like in a politician.

Compare that to how Obama has handled the Benghazi situation, which has “political considerations” all over it.

I’m not a supporter of Christie because he’s too moderate for me, but on this issue I tend to give him a pass.

Sackett on November 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

New Democratic identity group, Fattties. Fatboy is the next Colon
Pal in the waiting.

rik on November 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Considering that most voters in the state are Democrats, is that an awesome thing?

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Conan on November 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I agree with this…I’m from NJ, and Christie is as conservative as Jersey politicians get, but we need better for national office. Plus the Obama-Sandy bromance will not be forgotten.

I do hope that he defeats Booker though, and I think that he has a good shot to do so….such a good shot that Booker may opt to run for Senate instead. One way or another, Booker will be running for Prez in 2016…..

Priscilla on November 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

and find some way for Whoopi to sit on his lap.

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

All four of them could sit on his lap…including Santa Claus..

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

canopfor on November 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Check out that pic.

Obama: “Nice jugs ya got there, fat boy.”

predator on November 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

predator:Lol,

yup,and ahem,it looks like a scene out of
BrokeBack Washington Mountain!:)
(snark)

canopfor on November 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Looking at the 2012 Presidential election results, yes.

Anton on November 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Christie switching parties in 3… 2… 1…

ElectricPhase on November 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Asses-to-kick-list?

Valkyriepundit on November 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I had my doubts with this guy when he laid that egg of a speech at the Repub Convention. Now I’m convinced he is a Lib. Saved us one way though cause he ain’t gettin’ no 2016 Republican nomination.

Herb on November 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Willard’s disciples will come round and embrace CC’s RINO ways once the sting wears off.

wraithby on November 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM

yup,and ahem,it looks like a scene out of
BrokeBack Washington Mountain!:)
(snark)

canopfor on November 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

No kidding. I wasn’t going to go there, but evidently BO’s inclinations are no secret. ;)

Cody1991 on November 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Christie switching parties in 3… 2… 1…

ElectricPhase

This.

Knott Buyinit on November 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Fine, let the the whale run for president of New Jersey then. No skin off my nose.

Thomas More on November 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Must be a Jersey thing.

Axe on November 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

No RINOs
No gun control

NO CHRISTIE!

Come and take it on November 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Asses-to-kick-list?

Valkyriepundit on November 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Actually, thinking about it — he’s perfect. Appeals to moderates, not an extremest

– one moment, have to vomit –

excusy

Appeals to moderates and independents, not an extremest, is probably perfectly comfortable telling everyone who doesn’t know how old the Earth is to get bent in an election, bipartisan . . . etc. Just use the old list from this last, lost election. It’s the same list from the lost election before that.

Axe on November 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

…that whale beached himself!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

…that whale beached himself!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My husband’s on the…obese side.*Not as big as CC-but if he doesn’t start getting some-ANY exercise…*
So what?
I don’t like Christie-but it has nothing to do with his weight.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’m short, fat and ugly. Can’t believe I got such a beautiful wife!

I am losing weight though, no exercise needed. Not sure why… lost 30 lbs!

He can do it, if he wants it, it obviously only requires a very mild change in lifestyle, if i do not even know what changed.

astonerii on November 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

2016 meme… We must nominate him-he is the only one who can win moderates.

melle1228 on November 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Chris, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world… but for Wales New Jersey?

andycanuck on November 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Christy will see how much good his sucking up did when Obimbo comes to New Jersey to campaign HARD for . . . Cory Booker. Christy’s expecting Obimbo to reciprocate or at least lay low, but The Won doesn’t new CC for anything anymore. And once you’re no longer useful to The Won, well . . . don’t let the door hit you in the ass, right?

SoRight on November 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

If your in favor of a loud mouth jerk, then Christie is your man. I prefer people who walk silently, but carry a big stick. Maybe, that’s just a southern thing.

DDay on November 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Why vote at all, ever again?
Read several reports of fraudulent voter tallies, & nothing….
Benghazi, major cover up….nothing; Hillary gets praise; twilight zone.
What about Leahy’s Senate bill to permit government agencies to read our emails? You won’t hear nada from the republicrats.
Past the tipping point this country has gone with greater than 50% of the population on taxpayer handouts.
It feels like its over, & we must learn to love it or else its Axelrod’s school of re-education.

Oh, Christie; traitor; didn’t you feel the warmth between him & the Dear Leader? Probably follow in Specter’s footsteps & switch parties.

Can anyone ever trust the republican party again after their “Silence Allen West” plan with redistricting?

Belle on November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

He’ll be a Democrat within ten years.

Darin on November 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Stupid in NJ

Schadenfreude on November 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Glad to know New Jersey matters more than the United States.

AshleyTKing on November 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM

…that whale beached himself!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

So what?
I don’t like Christie-but it has nothing to do with his weight.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

…I know that!…I just have to be a d!ck…and it’s easier for me to go after the superficial stuff.

KOOLAID2 on November 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I hope Booker kicks his Hostess Twinkies back to Livingston. Then I hope Livingston drops into the ocean.

AshleyTKing on November 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

My guess is his next stop is Senator because I don’t think he’s going to be President.

crosspatch on November 22, 2012 at 4:01 AM

eh, good for him! I dont know what are you all angry about, he put his state and his position in the state ahead of national politics, because, his state electors elected him, not all you red state “true conservatives”. in 4 years, a photo op will be mostly forgotten and could even be used to gather independent support. the only thing missing now is a diet…

nathor on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM

A song for Chris Christie .

EnglishRogue on November 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I liked his charming Saturday Night Live performance last week. Maybe comedy’s his forte (he definitely loves being famous).

I also respected him when, earlier this year, Oprah tried to make Gov. Christie cry about being overweight because she obviously feels bad about being overweight. He was like, ‘Yeah I’m fat–whatever‘…

So many qualities I wish could be grafted onto 2016 Presidential hopefuls! But you’ve either got moxie or you don’t.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I would never vote for this man. Period. I don’t care if Satan was on the opposing side, I’d just not vote.

ButterflyDragon on November 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

the only thing missing now is a diet…

nathor on November 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM

… and a conservative mindset.

ButterflyDragon on November 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, let’s wait until the actual Gubernatorial campaign. Wait until they turn Christie into a male clone of Sarah Palin.

Sekhmet on November 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Christie has repeatedly stated that he was happy being governor of NJ. His actions guarantee that he will remain that for a while, perhaps he might even get to be The Senator from NJ, but he will not do anything that requires national support.

Nathan_OH on November 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Let there be no mistake about it Christie is and always will be the FAT BASTURD OF NEW JERSEY and little else.
Along with colin powell they are the two most hated figures in Conservative Republican circles and can’t get out of the party quick enough for me and many others!!
Many estimates are that they cost us 2 points in the last week of a tight election,F… both of them as far as I am concerned.
I hope I was clear enough!!

rodguy911 on November 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Jesus Christ. Comments like those on this thread are why the party is going to get creamed in 2016 by some second rate Dem loser. You’re really turning your back on one of the best fiscal conservative governors in the country because he had to play a little bit of politics to get reelected?

This inane demand for complete ideological purity is killing us.

GYConservative on November 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

This inane demand for complete ideological purity is killing us.

GYConservative on November 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
…………………………………………………………..
Insanity is not demanding that two of the party favs don’t sabotage us in the last week of the most important election of my lifetime.
Christie/ozeros hand in hand images were all obama needed to let the DBM pretend that he was indeed bi-partisan after a four years record of never consulting us on anything.
And as for colin polwell:
Here in Florida,which we narrowly lost, Powell did devestating commercials run on tv and radio for our communist leader.
If those of us on the executive committee of my county in Fla. did that we would be booted off the committee.
But when a nat. supposed leader does it its just his opinion!! That’s BullS. Between the two of them I am convinced they cost us the election. And I will never forget, for one.
Mitt Romney was never my first choice. But, I have learned to respect him and admire him. I do think he ran an admirable campaign and were he not sabotaged from within he could have easily won.
We have to stand up for what is right or forever lose the country.
Now is a good time.

rodguy911 on November 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

From the 2012 bench, Romney really was the best choice. That he lost does not negate that, and had Mr. Etch-A-Sketch evolved just once more on immigration and spent the summer working hard for votes among Hispanics, he’d probably be president-elect now.

Having said that, Republicans have a really outstanding list to choose from for 2016 — Bobby Jindal, Susana Martinez, Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte. It is this caliber of candidates that Christie will have to battle for the 2016 nomination – not the likes of Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, and Herman Cain.

My point: Christie’s done.

He might seriously want to consider switching parties.

The Bringer on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Hold on you weirdos think any politician of any stripe have morals ethics and honor? BWHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! all those losers are out for themselves and only care about you, or your worthless opinion, when it comes to votes and money. Than they will tell you anything you want to hear and you dopes lap it up like the good little female puppies you are.

Your Mamma loves me on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My point: Christie’s done.

He might seriously want to consider switching parties.

The Bringer on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM
………………………………………….
If you want a winning ticket for 2016 its M&M:
Marco and Mitt, run either one for potus.

rodguy911 on November 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Christie is a back-stabbing POS who was happy to put America in the grave for NOTHING! I have yet to hear of even one, single thing that Christie got out of his despicable knob-gobbling of the Indonesian. Not one thing. I guess the idiots would argue that without Barky’s “help” the gas lines in Jersey would have been three times as long …

Christie is a scumbag who deserves a long ride in a Brazen Fisker.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

From the 2012 bench, Romney really was the best choice.

The Bringer on November 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Not even close. It shouldn’t have mattered, as 2012 was Barky versus America, but Romney was so bad that he even managed to lose an election for which the GOP candidate shouldn’t have made a difference.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

2016? First he’ll have to get his head out of Obama’s @#$……….

nonstopca on November 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Chris Christie is his own best friend.
He should not be considered a viable contender for the 2016 Republicrat ticket under any circumstances.

Klem Kadiddlehopper on November 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Christie will be a Democrat by 2016.

Literally. I think it’s quite obvious.

Moesart on November 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I hope he enjoys it while he can. Once the NJ governor’s campaign really kicks off, he’ll be pulverized by the same media and Democrats that are worshiping at his altar right now. He probably will be in the 20′s by election day.

Gator Country on November 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I’ll be supporting Cory Booker next year; this traitor is dead to me.

Falz on November 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Even Magellan would pass on circumnavigating the Christie.

Sherman1864 on November 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Goble, goble goble. Christie and Jersey deserve each other. Let him be popular there.

Fuquay Steve on November 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Christie is a scumbag who deserves a long ride in a Brazen Fisker.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I love seeing all you conservatives get angry at Christie but ya know what? You’ll vote for him anyway in 2016 if he’s the nominee because the GOP establishment will convince you that he’s better than the alternative. In fact, they’ll convince you that staying home or voting for the alternative is a traitorous act!

And again – you’ll go lock step to the polls and pull the lever for another RINO.

Who will simply go down in flames again.

HondaV65 on November 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM