Obama’s small biz chief: ObamaCare, hurting small biz? I’m sure I don’t know what you mean…

posted at 5:26 pm on November 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

On MSNBC this morning, the Obama administration’s head of the Small Business Administration Karen Mills somehow managed to avoid actually answering Joe Scarborough’s questions about the many recent reports of small businesses’ concerns about coping with the requirements of ObamaCare. Apparently, the Obama administration lives under a very worldview-confirming rock.

Scarborough: But, we do hear from business owners, I’m sure you do too, that are now contemplating after the election… saying, ‘Gosh, I’m going to have to start keeping people under 30 hours… so ObamaCare doesn’t apply to me, I’m going to lose my best people and be only hiring part-timers, it’s only a matter of time before I go out of business and I can’t afford the costs of what this new regulation puts on me.’ …Explain that cutoff, and secondly, what do you tell those business owners? Why are they wrong?

Mills: I travel all around the country. Every week, I go to a different part of the country, I’m with small businesses, and I’m not hearing that…

Scarborough: You’ve never heard that? You need to talk to your staff and tell ‘em to get you out of the bubble, because we are hearing it all the time. … Have you never heard that before?

Mills: When I am out, absolutely what small businesses want to do is grow their business. And the other thing that they want, this is what I hear all the time, ‘I want to provide health care. We are like a family here. The day that I got to provide health care for my workers, that was when I called my business a success.’

Gee, businesses want to be profitable, expand their outfits, and provide health insurance in order to compete for the best possible employees? …You don’t say. But that still doesn’t answer Scarborough’s question about why it is small businesses supposedly don’t need to be worrying about ObamaCare’s incoming regulations.

As Mills acknowledges earlier in the segment, about two out of three new jobs in the United States currently come from the auspices of small business — but somehow, the Obama administration seems deaf to many small businesses’ recent cries that ObamaCare is going to cripple their ability to grow and hire. That does not bode well for the economic growth and job creation that we as a country sorely need.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

dear bayam,

you’re stoopid

Slade73 on November 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Just tell us which of the great entrepreneurs support Romney. The list of Obama supporters is public knowledge although you can pretend that most of the great entrepreneurs support Romney. The founders of Amazon, Google, Oracle, and other new economy companies are generally left leaning.
bayam on November 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Oh, I dunno – Jack Welsh, Lee Iococca?

You are a certifiable idiot. When you go into a mom and pop shop to buy a sandwich or to pick up your dry cleaning, those people voted for Romney by 2 to 1. Yes, but let’s diminish their role in the economy because they only employ the vast majority of people in this country. Moron.

The Count on November 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Watch how fast those companies leftist support evaporates when Obama decides they’ve made enough money.

Don’t forget to add Solyndra and the other new economy companies founded by Obama and now found tits up in bankruptcy court.

BobMbx on November 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I had no idea that the only great American entrepreneurs today exist in Leftish Silicon Valley.

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

sentinelrules on November 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

wherever they are, they ain’t making Twinkies

Slade73 on November 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

If being in Congress was basically kicking the can down the road, John Boehner would be freakin’ speaker of the House

Slade73 on November 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

wrong thread, heh

Obama’s a jack wagon, that should cover it

Slade73 on November 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Me thinks that Ms. Mills has consumed too many wine coolers.

Pork-Chop on November 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Typical Obama admin crony living in their delusional bubble. Head in the sand and completely tone deaf whenever anyone points out the unintended negative consequences of their dream policies.

Oxymoron on November 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM

She obviously thinks that SBA stands for “Small Business Assassins”!!!

and she’s starting out by making sure that ALL businesses get Smaller.

landlines on November 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I refuse to believe you can find one business owner who would say that … unless it’s some crazy leftist whose business is about to go under anyway because they have no grasp on reality.

toby11 on November 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

This is one of the many things that has to play out for the “hit me in the head with it” voter of 2012.

Conan on November 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

She does know about small businesses… and wants to have ‘regional manufacturing centers’ which means that some states get privileged industries as deemed important for such centers and other states, well, you don’t need those businesses anyways, right?

Can we get some hearings on this control freak and her lack of contact with the actual, physical world, because that whole Agenda 21 schlock of concentrated urban centers and manufacturing zones is authoritarian and tyrannical. Of course Obamacare won’t hurt those small businesses… that do as they are told to do. I mean she can just give a ringy-dingy over at HHS and call up a waiver.

No cash donations involved.

Yet.

ajacksonian on November 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Let’s see… I have to hold my employees’ hours under 30 but that won’t get all the work done. So, I’ll need to hire more part time employees.

More employees, better numbers in the unemployment report. Works for Obama.

Vince on November 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I like you Night Owl, because I’ve noticed what a thoughtful person you are.

This world could use more Night Owls! :)

Anti-Control on November 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

What a nice thing to say, thanks!

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

my bad ;)

Slade73 on November 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

LOL! We all have our favorites! I like Newt even with all his flaws. I think he cares about the country, and I wish more were like him when it comes to confronting the media, and he is very smart. Plus I couldn’t think of anyone else who explains things well.

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Last time I checked, the great innovators and entrepreneurs in the digital and knowledge economies, from Bill Gates to Steve Jobs and Elon Musk support Obama.

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Mainly because, when you kiss Obama’s ass, you get out of paying taxes while getting taxpayer dollars.

All of these men know one simple thing, bayam: unintelligent Obama cultists like yourself who scream and shriek about “fair share” and “crony capitalism” don’t really think or research too hard. They are aware that, in your case, as long as they pay lip service to your hatred of the rich and business and hold the occasional fundraiser for Obama, they can do whatever they like without a peep from you.

In short, they are taking advantage of one of the other aphorisms of capitalism: there’s a sucker born every minute, and Obama cultists are the richest vein of sucker around.

northdallasthirty on November 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Did you ever read the book “The Stand” by Stephen King, another famous lefty? You now sound like the people who met up in Las Vegas, you know, the techies. How many apocryphal books do we have to relive before you people are done?

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

ajacksonian on November 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Our only hope is that they are as stupid and ineffective as they appear to be. All this trouble to get Obamacare passed, and they don’t have the freaking infrastructure to implement it. They put out the rules four days after the deadline to decide if you’re going to participate. This just gets better every day.

Night Owl on November 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

…oh for gawds sake!…look at that woman’s eyes!…she’s STONED!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

My retirement IRA took a big hit in 2008 and a Romney victory, I thought, would recover the economy and in the process my retirement funds. After Obama’s victory, my wife said, “You need to find a job.” So after 6 years retired and just short of 68 years of age, I am going back to work. I am going overseas to make a salary that will do for my wife and I what the 51 percent failed to allow to happen. I never considered myself a victim of the Bush Administration’s policies, but I do of this President’s.

amr on November 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I talked with my family doctor just yesterday.

He’s been talking with his daughter away at college about her health care policy; it seems that her “student medical” coverage is going from $1400/yr in 2012 to $3500/yr next year, and she was calling dear old dad to see what he had to say about it.

Dr. Dad explained that there is a HUGE amount of uncertainty due to Obamacare, and that insurance companies have no idea of what its full impact will eventually be on them, so they are “hedging their bets” by significantly raising their rates so that they don’t get caught short.

The daughter also told one of her leftist professors about what Obamacare was doing to her insurance cost (250% increase) and the prof gasped “That’s impossible!”.

Farking leftists live in a world devoid of reality, and they never consider or acknowledge the unintended consequences of their destructive Marxist ways.

E-R

electric-rascal on November 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM

One of the reasons our Congress population acts stupidly is their staff telling them what’s what and advising them while doing the grunt the work for the representative that was voted into office. The intelligence of the staff is directly caused by the choices of the rep. Unfortunately we have no say as to the hiring of the staff which tops out at just over 23,000 for the 535. This site will explain these totals better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_staff

mixplix on November 22, 2012 at 5:51 AM

This is the pain that the workers have to go through to reach our socialist paradise!

Black is white. White is black. We have always been at war with East Asia.

Bперед, товарищи!

NavyMustang on November 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM

She didn’t answer the question.

ctmom on November 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Can you believe these people are running ruining your country?

The Count on November 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM

fify

Hammie on November 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

So, if I ran a business like that I’d support Democrats and Obamacare too.

Imagine the worry running a business, some new company might compete, and eventually take over your slot on top.

BUT if you can make sure that their costs when they’re mid-sized are too high to ever compete with you, then you’re safe. More regulations, more costs that cripple growth and scale so you don’t suffer and they do… brilliant.

I mean if you want to run a monopoly with no competition that is; which is the goal of large corporations… and Democrats.

Why is competition bad again? Why should we favor the largest businesses at the expense of the smaller one? Or do you want me to believe that you’re incapable of seeing the obvious outcome of your actions?

gekkobear on November 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM