More Americans than ever before will be using food stamps this Thanksgiving

posted at 1:56 pm on November 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Marco Rubio said something the other day that made me want to jump up and cheer: “The way to turn our economy around is not by making rich people poorer, it’s by making poor people richer.” Whoomp, there it is! That, right there, is a masterfully simple and succinct way to take the Democrats’ constant refrains of “fairness” and turn them on their head. The way to help people become more prosperous is definitely not by taking wealth away from some people and having the government divvy it up as they see fit among other people. To paraphrase Frederic Bastiat, a bad economist looks merely to the effects that are immediately seen, while a good economist looks for the effects that are not immediately apparent — and the long-term effects of that kind of redistributionist thinking are that you eventually run out of other people’s money, and that everybody is fighting over a much smaller, less prosperous pie.

Instead of going for just taxing the bejeesus out of the rich to try and solve all of our problems and justify our big-government spending binges, what we need to be doing is fostering economic policies that allow people to lift themselves up through job-and-wealth creation. As Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan said in various ways on the campaign trail, Republicans aren’t trying to abolish all welfare programs — they’re trying to create an economy in which people neither need nor want to participate in welfare programs, because there are so many attractive opportunities available in the private sector… a situation from which President Obama has only moved us farther and farther away. Via U.S. News:

Usage of food stamps among low and no-income families has spiked since the collapse of the U.S. financial system four years ago. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, average participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamp program, has increased 70 percent since 2007. And economists have warned that usage of food stamps won’t go down until unemployment improves.

This Thanksgiving, 42.2 million Americans will be on food stamps, according to the Economic Policy Institute. This is roughly the size of the populations of California and Connecticut combined.

Not surprisingly, feeding millions of Americans isn’t cheap. The cost of the SNAP program last year reached $72 billion, the highest to date, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Although this trend got started before President Obama took office, has he managed to turn the tide at all? No. All of his ‘solutions’ have only lead to little more than stagnation and malaise. Obama’s policies, i.e. more bureaucracy, more regulation, and expanding the federal budget, are impediments to economic growth that deprive resources from the more productive and innovative private sector. Just getting the rich to pay their “fair share” without bothering to put the United States on a sustainable spending plan is not going to create the economic boom for which everyone’s been hoping.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What’s wrong with food stamps? Should poor people just let their kids starve? By the way, can we talk about the quality of food offered to food stamp recipients? I purchased a WIC approved jar of pasta sauce at Kroger recently. It was inedible, packed with preservatives and seemed primarily to be made of ketchup. I do wish conservatives would stop pretending food stamps recipients are living high on the hog.

libfreeordie on November 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Give me a freakin’ break.

My dtr was on foodstamps while she was living with me b/c her boyfriend wanted her to have an abortion after the condom broke while they were both in college in Dallas: she refused.
She moved 400 miles north to live with me.
After the baby was born (prematurely by 5 wks), she developed a lung problem and had to have multiple hospital trips d/t asthma/pneumonia during the first 20 mos of her life. To our surprise, Dtr/baby got put on Medicaid on the first hospital admission to pay for her/the baby’s expenses.
That made her eligible for food stamps. The food was completely edible when she tried it the first few months. After that, she didn’t as she really didn’t need to because she was living with me. It was good quality and actually quite good when I tasted it…….at least where we lived.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

The grocery stores need to have a separate checkout line for food stamp recipients. Shine a bright light on this program and connect it to Obama and Democrats.

monalisa on November 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Years ago, when the technology was more primative, grocery stores in Maryland were equipped to accept “liberty cards.” But they had to be swiped through a dedicated reader and not at the checkout station.

Now keep in mind this was supposed to keep the welfare recipient from the stigma of having to pay in food stamps. Yet, when they went to check out, the cashier had to call out “liberty card” to get a manager’s attention to process the transaction. I’m in full favor of going back to that kind of attention for those on welfare. Doesn’t the rat-eared wonder want the electorate to know just how many of our neighbors he’s helping out by paying for their groceries (and BTW they are able to eat better than those of us without food stamp assistance).

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I have given generously for years.No more,fini,done,not one more cent from me for any cause.

docflash on November 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’m done donating to toy drives and turkey drives for
” poor” people and buying bags full of groceries for holiday season for Churches,
AFTER I pay taxes on my income, my corporation, my house,
and ALSO pay my share of payroll taxes into the account of employees , and still end up being called a cold cruel heartless meanie , who doesn’t pay a fair share of taxes ,
by a bunch of anti-American bigots who actually are proud of their mooching off people like me .
These thankless ingrates are not getting a penny from me and my businesses anymore.

burrata on November 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

That made her eligible for food stamps.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Avagreen,

You’ve hit on a particular pet peeve of mine. They’ve made welfare assistance automatic and too easy. Sign up for this program because you need it and before you know it you are getting money for three others you didn’t ask for. We have made government dependence a one-stop experience. IMO it should be harder.

And, once enrolled, there is little oversight. Michigan recently had a mini-scandal where not one but two food stamp recipients were also million dollar lottery winners. The one’s excuse was that nobody told him he couldn’t. The other claimed that she needed the assistance because she had expenses after she bought a house with her winnings. This is not the kind of assistance I am willing to give with those truly in need grouped along with greedy moochers.

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Prosperity means work. That ethic is lacking after 50 years of social justice.

southsideironworks on November 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

docflash on November 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’m done donating to toy drives and turkey drives for
AFTER I pay taxes on my income, my corporation, my house,

burrata on November 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Conservatives are racist no matter what…

Are selfish and “mean” no matter the facts…

Are mouth-breathing troglodytes ’cause they cling to their guns and religion…

Etc., etc., etc.

Cool. “Progressives” win. Congrats. Now go get your cheese and don’t even think of knocking on my door or calling my phone asking for anything.

Enjoy your “victory,” geniuses. It’s gonna be great!

L.i.B.

Dion on November 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

HEY! Don’t include me in that group. I wasn’t on Medicaid, nor food stamps. My dtr/grandchild was.

You need to know more about this program……..the expenses were to pay for the baby’s medical bills which ran up into the thousands per trip, being in oxygen tents, getting the needed meds for pnuemonia while in the hospital, paying for the bed in a pedi-ward……or she would have fkn died from lack of oxygen.
My dtr didn’t sit at home, idle, she working as a waitress in a restaurant while PG, and her income was below poverty limits (too low to pay the hospital/doctor bills) and thusly she qualified for medical Medicaid. She was crying in the admission office when they told her what the problem was….I’m GD thankful there was program to help her/and the baby. I’d planned on footing the bill myself, but I would still be paying it off. But, I guess that’s OK with you, right?

The foodstamps were just an added program, which she only accessed the first few months. This was exactly what this program was designed for. She began working again as a waitress (as that was the only job available in that small town) after the baby’s birth. She didn’t live with me but the first 20mos of the baby’s life. She then moved back to Dallas and continued on working. Don’t worry, Nomad, she didn’t live off the dime of the public the whole 20mos. Sheesh! We don’t live in Michigan and I can’t help that you do. Not all recepients cheat. FU.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Medicaid was meant for purposes just like this!…..don’t throw out the baby with the water.
My dtr went on to get her bachelors and working on her Masters. This kept her from being so far under the water that she couldn’t get out from under d/t medical bills while single, going to college, and having a child (she didn’t want to abort). She should be congratulated, not made to feel like some kind of criminal b/c she was on Medicaid for a short while.

I’m a conservative, but sometimes the mentality of some just sux.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

HEY! Don’t include me in that group.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I wasn’t. The FU comment was completely unwarrented.

Read my post again with the understanding that my peeve is with the system and not how your family (correctly) accessed it.

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Further…….neither she nor I had a clue that this type of Medicaid was available……..so yeah, I’m glad it was “automatic” and “so easy”!! It meant her baby would live(a big thing to us, ya know? She was a month old!.

Forgive me, I’m just a little upset with the lack of knowledge and the throwing everyone into the same pool. I also don’t approve of generations of people living on welfare, but sometimes, sometimes…….it fkn needed. To help decent people win who didn’t ask for what happened to them. Get a clue.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The Food Stamp Führer!

Wigglesworth on November 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The experience with your daughter and grandchild illustrates exactly what this program should be for – a safety net to provide temporary help due to circumstances outside one’s control. Your passion is fully understandable.

I grew up in New York City in the 1970′s. My mom was one of thousands who gamed the system by getting on welfare, back when cash benefits were provided, and once food stamps came on the scene, she jumped all over it, and facilitated many hundreds of her friends and acquaintances into taking advantage of the program.

Now, before anyone decides that they’re entitled to jump on me because I and my siblings benefited from public assistance, let me say that I am grateful for it, and I doubt I would have become the man I am were it not for the experience.

However, to this day, I remember the shame associated with the 1st and 15th of every month. Having to go shopping with my mother and hearing the snide comments about how we were going to eat good because the welfare check and food stamps came in. And this is when food stamps actually came in a booklet. Always having to do with poor quality clothes and without the fashions that the other kids could afford.

Because of that experience, I would rather starve than accept public assistance (I wonder if they call it that anymore?). I’ve worked two and three jobs to make ends meet, and I raised my boys to be self sufficient in all respects. Again, I would rather starve than accept public assistance.

My mom? Still on welfare and food stamps to this day, along with my two sisters. SMFH.

El Salsero on November 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Yes, lucky for you, but I’d rather see your daughter forced by mandate to buy health insurance instead of simply receiving free medical care with no requirement to ever repay taxpayers, if you will. There are too many young people in this country who believe that youth and good health make insurance unnecessary and then expect society to pick up the bill when the unexpected happens.
Maybe your daughter can’t afford insurance this year or the year after, but at some point in the future, a mandate will force her to start paying into the system rather than hop from one government assistance program to another.

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

All of his ‘solutions’ have only lead

I agree with you, but this is a pet peeve of mine – “lead” is a metal. “Led” is the past tense of the verb “lead”.

Squiggy on November 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Not me and I’m pretty disgusted because I don’t really make all the much per year.

Frank Enstine on November 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Years ago, when the technology was more primitive, grocery stores in Maryland were equipped to accept “liberty cards.” But they had to be swiped through a dedicated reader and not at the checkout station.

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

YES. There SHOULD be a stigma attached to mooching off of others. The SNAP card should be twice the size of a regular credit card, and fluorescent orange.

We should also be paying awards to people who report fraud in all welfare programs just as we do with those that report someone not paying their taxes.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

libfreeordie on November 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

You’re a joke. You advocate for sex with minors: FACT.

CW on November 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

While your thought process is outright facist, you have hit upon the real problem. And unfortunately there aren’t a lot of solutions to it, much less any that don’t strangle freedom.

MelonCollie on November 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Unfortunately, as the insurance companies are the ones that wrote the Obamacare bill, one of its main effects is to outlaw affordable health insurance policies. It is no longer legal to sell a bare bones catastrophic policy in the US. You can only buy ones that include every possible preventive procedure ever imagined, every vaccine that exists, mental health care, birth control, low or no deductables, no or low copays, no lifetime limits, etc.

And remember, Obamacare doesn’t force you to buy insurance. You can either buy insurance at $10,000 a pop or pay the fine of $750, which of course gets you-nothing! No health insurance, nothing. What a great bill! What a great country! What a great President, looking out for the little people like that!

talkingpoints on November 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

LOL. Did you notice that her daughter got OFF Medicaid and is actually paying taxes?

Now let’s talk about all the Obama supporters who pay no taxes and who are mooching off the health care system. You scream and cry about paying back the taxpayers, but you support mooches who never have paid and never will pay.

That’s because you are a moocher who wants others to pay your bills. Isn’t that right, mooching and lying bayam?

And there are lots MORE people like you who use this as an excuse for why you want to mooch off other peoples’ labor instead of paying for your own insurance.

You’re a lying mooch, bayam. All your stories and spinning are about one thing and one thing only — allowing you to mooch off other peoples’ labor. You’re too lazy and worthless to pay your own bills, so you lie and mooch.

What a piece of filth you Obama supporters are.

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

BWAHAHAHA! Do you even know what Obamacare has? “Premium subsidies” so that people don’t HAVE to pay for the insurance; they get it free and subsidized from the government.

Your mooching lies don’t work on the informed, bayam. Obamacare is a wealth redistribution system, plain and simple: moochers like you who won’t pay your bills get it free, and all the rest of us have to work harder to pay for it. It’s the perfect system for Obama supporters, who are lazy worthless welfare mooches who can’t be bothered to do anything but suck the teat of the government and the productive.

Time to poison the milk.

northdallasthirty on November 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Seems the new liberal rage is to take part in the “Food Stamp” challenge. Good lord.

As far as I have seen, people using the Lone Star card here in Texas can buy all the brand name stuff. So everyone feeling bad for the food stamp recipients just remember, the only people buying the cheap government approved foods are “Food Stamp” challengers and people who actually live within budgets using their own money.

Oh yeah, you will often see people walk to the check out line with carts full of prime cuts of beef and pay with their Lone Star cards. Don’t forget about the food stamp debit cards that are used to withdraw money in casinos, on cruises and at resorts in Hawaii. Those poor, poor people.

JAGonzo on November 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Sometimes you have to find a way to motivate people. Shame is a good motivator, along with pain, hunger, and illness.

Ineffective motivators are jealousy, envy, confirmation of victimhood, groupthink, community organizations, and one-size-fits-all approaches to problem solving.

Don’t want to be poor? Then choose not to be poor. Its that simple.

BobMbx on November 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

…not to worry…JugEars and his family don’t need food stamps…look at Mooches menu every day for the next four years and what each meal will cost…oh wait!…the government will be paying for that as well…never mind!

KOOLAID2 on November 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

libfreeordie on November 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I’ll let you know after I start using mines. I just applied for it. Lady said regardless of my income, my military disability is a shoe in to receive an EBT. Axe me again in a week or so.

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

docflash on November 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Same here doc.

smoothsailing on November 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

bayam on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Yep, f#ck that Constitution crap. Demand she buy it. Also make her buy a Chevy Volt.

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

America in decline, Thanks, Barrry,

petefrt on November 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

LibfreeordieTARD should spend his welfare money on food rather than Internet access.

Robert Jensen on November 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM

America in decline, Thanks, Barrry,

petefrt on November 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You’re looking at it all wrong. What do “you” qualify for?

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Same here doc.

smoothsailing on November 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Seconded!

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

You’re looking at it all wrong. What do “you” qualify for?

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Exactly right!

What can Barack Claus give to you! And make no mistake he’s keeping lists.

Happy Nomad on November 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

So, Gingrich was right.

BuckeyeSam on November 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

the “Food Stamp President” still kicked your candidate’s butt

WHOOMP there it is!!

btw who is this idiot woman writing for Hot Air? I thought it couldn’t get worse than Tina but I was wrong

DBear on November 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Axe me again in a week or so.

hawkdriver on November 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The racism is strong with this site!

Any wonder minorities hate your party?

Have I mentioned you guys LOST?!?!

and LOST big hahahahahaha

oh how I am so grateful!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving rednecks!

DBear on November 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

The message of working hard in order to get ahead no longer resonates in this country. We’ve reached the threshold of more people wanting to live off of the government (taxpayers) than who want to work. I would bet that if 1,000 job became available, a certain subset of the population wouldn’t even show up to apply. Our citizenry has been dumbed down over the past 30 years or so. It will take a miracle to turn this ship around.

txag92 on November 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM

The scratch ‘n sniff stuffing-scented EBT cards will be a big hit.

profitsbeard on November 22, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Progress!

bgibbs1000 on November 22, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I am the last person to defend this president but there is a reason for this.

more people are on food stamps is that Feeding America the big National Food Bank
Is using the food banks all over the country to sign people up. People who were eligible but didn’t bother. The food banks are having problems getting donations for food due to improvements in logistics by the major food manufacturers and grocers so they are encouraging your local food banks to get into the signing up people for food stamps business.

Ricki on November 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM

…she developed a lung problem and had to have multiple hospital trips d/t asthma/pneumonia… put on Medicaid… That made her eligible for food stamps.

avagreen on November 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’d rather see your daughter forced by mandate to buy health insurance instead of simply receiving free medical care with no requirement to ever repay taxpayers…

bayam
on November 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

No problem with any “requirement to ever repay taxpayers” for the food stamps, though. Which, if measured out over the lifetime of some recipients, equals much more than a few asthma trips to the hospital.

Food stamps (we’ll even use a short example of 10 years):

2011 data: Ten years of food stamps in Nebraska for mother and child = ~$30K

How did you put it? Oh yeah:

with no requirement to ever repay taxpayers

Asthma:

A total of 3,223 patients (age >/= 18 yr) were identified, with 1,074 (33.3%) requiring hospitalization. For the 2,149 patients who visited the ED only, the average visit cost was $234.48. For hospitalized patients, the average length of stay was 3.8 d, and the cost was $3,102.53.

Pneumonia:

Community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is responsible for an average of 4.5 million visits annually to physicians’ offices, emergency departments, and outpatient clinics… 5.8 days with an average cost of $6042 for younger patients.

(note all/only .gov citations)

I’ll even tilt the argument in your favor my reminding everyone of the “multiple hospital trips” bit. Let’s use three examples of the most costly visits compared to ten years of food stamps, shall we?

Asthma: 3100 x 3 = $9300

Pneumonia: 6000 x 3 = $18000

Food stamps, Nebraska, two people, ten years: 2(122 x 12) x 10 = $29280

$29280.

That’s about $2000 more than three hospital stays for asthma and three hospital stays for pneumonia combined, btw.

with no requirement to ever repay taxpayers

____

Regardless, it’s remains striking how vocal you are and, simultaneously, how little you know and/or understand about healthcare.

Northdallasthirty already addressed much of it, but, like your lupus example in the thread you fled earlier, if the daughter was eligible for medicare/medicaid, the government becomes primary payer.

And again since you skipped over it just now:

If she’s eligible for medicare/medicaid, the government becomes primary payer.

with no requirement to ever repay taxpayers

Faith-based arguments that struggle to sell Obamacare based on what a holy man told you is religious fundamentalism. Nothing more.

And, before you flee this thread like so many of your other ones:

Happy Thanksgiving.

rogerb on November 22, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Whatever your situation this year, Give thanks. My take.

kingsjester on November 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The racism is strong with this site!

Happy Thanksgiving rednecks!

DBear on November 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Truncated for ironic effect.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM

DBear on November 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

PS, keep paying your taxes so my EBT card doesn’t run out.

hawkdriver on November 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM

rogerb on November 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Well, the country just voted for four more years of teh same so I guess we deserve it or something….

Let it burn? Hell, the progressive brought the gasoline.

Yakko77 on November 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Including Mayor Corey Booker of Newark, NJ, who announced that he is going on food stamps….”To show his solidarity with the poor”

LegendHasIt on November 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Ricki on November 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I don’t buy your statements.

The reason why more people are on food stamps is because there are more people in need. The campaign-driven artifically low unemployment numbers hid the true need among our neighbors. Now that the moocher party won, I suspect we’ll see the true depths of that need. How dare you defend the rat-eared wonder! Are you a moocher too?

Happy Nomad on November 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM

They accept EBT here at the Autozone!!!

DanaSmiles on November 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM

DBear on November 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

For the holiday season, can we get this loser the banhammer please?

Grace_is_sufficient on November 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM