Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on November 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

On CNN Tuesday morning, Jeb Bush Jr. — the son of former Florida governor Jeb Bush — said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) gave “kind of a head-scratching type of answer” to a recent question about the age of the Earth…

“We’ve got to be a kind of pro-science and pro-technology party. And I think Marco Rubio is just that,” Bush said. “On the Earth question, I guess I have to read more closely in terms of getting a better understanding, but, yeah, kind of a strange response, I guess.”

***

To begin with, Rubio’s remarks are not even an accurate description of what’s laid out in the Bible. It was not a seven-day process to make the Earth, according to the King James Bible’s Genesis. The Earth itself was made on the first day, though it took until the third day for the waters to be gathered together and dry land to emerge. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” is first thing that Genesis describes, even if “the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep,” and it was not until the third day that “God called the dry land Earth.”

Secondly, scientists estimate the age of the Earth from geological research on rocks from this planet, the moon, and from meteorites — not from “recorded history.” Recorded history only takes us back to the Sumerians in the 4th millennium B.C., though the history of art takes us back another 34,000 years or so after that. So the dispute is not between the historical record and theological interpretations — history and theology were actually quite intertwined at the start of writing. The dispute is between science and an anti-modern strain of Christian theology rejected by leaders of a number of the major Christian denominations, including Pope Benedict XVI, who has said, “there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

***

Interestingly, although this debate over evolution and the Earth’s age has invaded our politics for almost a century, prior to the era of William Jennings Bryan and the Scopes Monkey trial, many Protestant Christian theologians thought evolution was acceptable as part of God’s plan…

The storm surrounding Rubio’s comments speaks to a larger issue: The Republican Party and the conservative movement need to be more introspective. Conservatives need to think through their responses to these type of questions before they are asked. This is a discussion that conservative politicians of faith need to have; but I suspect, like talking to your kids about sex, it is generally avoided.

I can respect anyone’s faith, and so I respect people who believe in a young Earth. But Christians and conservatives ought to know that science and God do not have to be at odds.

***

For starters, our candidates need to understand that after successfully disqualifying Senate candidates Todd Akin and Richard Murdouck, the media now thinks they’ve cracked a code: First, they ask us a question that pits our faith against policy. They then hope we blow it. Then if we do blow it, they not only beat the individual candidate senseless with it, they use it to tarnish the GOP as a whole…

Stay as far away from the media as possible. Rubio talking to GQ is like a Christian entering the lion’s den. The lack of judgement he showed in subjecting himself to this interview is troublesome. There’s absolutely no upside in subjecting yourself to a GQ, unless you’re under the delusional belief you can win them over…

Because we can’t avoid the media entirely, our side needs to have better answers to these kinds of questions. We now know what the tactic is, so we have to be prepared for it.

***

[H]ere’s then-Sen. Obama, D-Ill., speaking at the Compassion Forum at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. on April 13, 2008:

Q: Senator, if one of your daughters asked you—and maybe they already have—“Daddy, did god really create the world in 6 days?,” what would you say?

A: What I’ve said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that’s what I believe. I know there’s always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don’t, and I think it’s a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I’m a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don’t presume to know…

It seems to me that Rubio is right. Lots of basic scientific questions have no bearing whatsoever on the nation’s short-term economic growth.

***

Here’s an even more disturbing thought – scientists currently believe that the Earth is about 4.54 billion years old because radioactive substances decay at generally stable rates. Accordingly, by observing how much of a radioactive substance has decayed, scientists are able to determine how old that substance is. However, if the Earth is only 9,000 years old, then radioactive decay rates are unstable and subject to rapid acceleration under completely unknown circumstances. This poses an enormous danger to the country’s nuclear power plants, which could undergo an unanticipated meltdown at any time due to currently unpredictable circumstances. Likewise, accelerated decay could lead to the detonation of our nuclear weapons, and cause injuries and death to people undergoing radioactive treatments in hospitals. Any of these circumstances would obviously have a large economic impact.

If the Earth is really 9,000 years old, as Paul Broun believes and Rubio is willing to remain ignorant about, it becomes imperative to shut down our nuclear plants and dismantle our nuclear stockpiles now until such time as scientists are able to ascertain what circumstances exist that could cause deadly acceleration of radioactive decay and determine how to prevent it from happening.

The bottom line is that this economy, at its root, is built on a web of scientific knowledge from physics to chemistry to biology. It’s impossible to just cherry pick out parts we don’t like. If the Earth is 9,000 years old, then virtually the entire construct of modern science is simply wrong. Not only that, most of the technology that we rely on most likely wouldn’t work – as they’re dependent on science that operates on the same physical laws that demonstrate the age of the universe.

***

As I wrote on Sunday, there are more important factors driving the Obama realignment than the supposed triumph of Reason and Progress that many liberals claim to see at work. But it’s still neither politically helpful nor intellectually healthy for a minority political party to pick pointless fights with the nation’s scientific and technical elite. Unless you believe that the 2016 Iowa caucuses are really, truly going to turn on the fundamentalist interpretation of Genesis (they aren’t), there’s no good reason why the “politician’s answer” on the kind of gotcha question GQ tossed at Rubio couldn’t go something more like this:

I’m not a scientist, but I respect the scientific consensus that says that the earth is — what, something like a few billions of years old, right? I don’t have any trouble reconciling that consensus with my faith. I don’t think the 7 days in Genesis have to be literal 24-hour days. I don’t have strong opinions about the specifics of how to teach these issues — that’s for school boards to decide, and I’m not running for school board — but I think religion and science can be conversation partners, and I think kids can benefit from that conversation.

More broadly, meanwhile, the fact that this kind of question is a “gotcha” at all is a much bigger problem for American Christianity than for Republican politicians. The goal of a political party is to win 51 percent of the vote and govern effectively, and as Rubio suggests, the ordinary work of politics can proceed even if some national politicians decline to take public views on the geological age of the earth. But the goal of Christianity is supposed to be the conversion of every human heart — yes, scientists and intellectuals included — and the central claim of Christianity is that the faith offers, not a particular political agenda or an economic program, but the true story of the world entire. The more Christians convince themselves that their faith’s core is identical with the modern innovation of fundamentalism, and in direct conflict with the best available modern biology and geology, the less attainable that goal and the less tenable that central claim.

***

Truth be told, I think the world is billions of years old, but I have no doubt God created it. I believe the same word that many interpret as “days” in Genesis can also honestly be interpreted as “phases,” which I do, i.e. a day at the beginning was not a day as we know it now. But I don’t doubt there were six phases of creation and then a seventh of rest. I certainly don’t have a problem with people who think the world was created in six 24 hour days. For all any of us know, it could have been. God said “Let there be light,” and I think the result was a big bang. I think that God set evolution in motion and over time we have changed and evolved by His own design and plan…

I reject evolution for the sake of evolution and reject that life on this planet, let alone the existence of this universe, is some random act. I reject that we are little better than the animals we evolved from because I reject that we evolved from anything other than God’s own mind. We were created in his image. We did not evolve into it. The only people certain in their belief on this matter are those who accept theory as fact and Truth as mythology…

There was once a time when most everyone in public life professed a faith in the things of the Bible. That time is more and more becoming unacceptable to those who shape the news. These secularists have made a concerted effort to turn the world hostile to that faith and belief and have allied themselves with weak theologians to turn young Christians into more worldly, secularly focused milquetoast weepers worshiping an effeminate Christ who only hugs kids and cries, but does not fight, does not take sides, and is accommodationist to the world and its amorality and increasing immorality because, dude, he hung out with prostitutes and cried about another dude dying. They want to define the Christ they prefer to believe in, rather than believe the Christ that is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey!

How is the Wal*Mart walkout lookin’ in Lubbock?

And are you their leader?

Enquiring minds want to know.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Walk-out nuthin’. I’m gonna make a killin’-$$$ wise-on Thursday.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Obama’s ‘Constituency Groups’ Checklist Offers No Options for Whites or Men

(CNSNews.com) – Fresh off his reelection, President Barack Obama is asking his supporters to complete a survey that asks the people being polled to check off which “constituency groups” they identify with – there are 22 groups listed but not one for “whites” or “men.”

If you own a company fire a few of his constituents, plus a handful of millennials. They brung this fool upon the land, twice.

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Martinez? Why? Because she’s a Latina?

ddrintn on November 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Nope. Because she got our attention with “Damn! We’re Republicans!” in her RNC speech.

wolfsDad on November 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Someone please tell me what was wrong with Rubio’s answer.

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Basically, he rambled and stumbled and sounded like a kid trying to explain why his homework wasn’t done.

urban elitist on November 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I think those 100 Wal-Mart strikers were all in California and will be safely back in the union nest after Thanksgiving.

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Nice of Jeb Bush to throw Marco under the bus.

dforston on November 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Looks like Jeb sees Rubio as a potential rival in 2016. Gawd… NO more Bushes!

Fallon on November 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

However most voters do not give a f*** about this issue…

mnjg on November 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yeah. It’s not like abortion for rape victims where a solid majority thinks it should be legal for that. I think anybody who this really matters to is already voting Dem anyway. But GOP’s still need to have a good answer for this stuff.

Mark1971 on November 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

urban elitist on November 20, 2012 …go fluke yourself and go to bed…let the adults talk now!

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

davidk on November 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Ya know, I don’t care what somebody thinks about the age of the Earth. Every time this comes up though, in order for it to be as young as some folks claim, God would have to be pouring layers of rock like cake batter and then using a spatula to fold them to make the layers of metamorphic rock you see in places as near to me as the Arbuckle mountains. That is downright funny.

And just the fossils that can be found in different layers…Dinosaurs grew to their immense size died, got buried and turned to stone in just a few years.

To say nothing about the speed at which Pangea had to come together…and then break apart.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

urban elitist on November 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Kid’s ramble and stumble over the question of why their homework isn’t done because they’re puzzled as to why such a stupid question could be asked. So I’ll take that explanation as a version of the truth.

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Nah-I think there are walk-outs planned for Houston and Dallas.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

What the f*** does this mean?

Last time I checked, the right wingers of America supported the advanced technology to begin extracting shale oil in the Midwest.

Last time I checked, right wingers want the most up-to-date, technologically advanced military weaponry to be at our disposal.

Last time I checked, right wingers want private industry to be able to have the capital to invest, research, and develop.

Just unreal. I have NEVER understood by we are labeled “anti-science.”

Why, because we doubt the groupthink that is Global Warming Alarmism?

blatantblue on November 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM

urban elitist on November 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

In other words, the way Obama sounds when there’s non ‘prompter around. I guess most people would be rambling and stumbling to be asked how old they think the planet is in an interview that was about, you know, relevant political topics? Want to hear “explaining why homework wasn’t done”? Go back to Obama’s answers on Jeremiah Wright questions. What I wanted someone, ANYone to ask the guy was, “Oprah WInfrey left Jeremiah Wright’s church. Why didn’t you?”

ddrintn on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

One of the supposed big ones will be up the street from me at a Wal*Mart in Dallas. Another in Lancaster. According to their website, that is. Wildcat strike in a right-to-work state. It could be fun. I might have to break my tradition of not shopping on black Friday and go buy something.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Don’t forget about This ‘little’ guy.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

urban elitist on November 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

He sure did, the fool.

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Abort the gop!!

Just when you thought the republicans couldn’t get dumber…….Bush v Rubio?

ALL the gop leadership should be purged. From Priebus to Boehner to McConnell.

PURGE PURGE PURGE!!

PappyD61 on November 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Nah-I think there are walk-outs planned for Houston and Dallas.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Fools! I doubt much if anything happens. The press has to make this more exiting than it really is.

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

C’mon twerp everybody knows that is fake.

Put on the pro-evolution grand conspiracy. They got their start from P.T. Barnum.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Vince on November 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Texas is a right-to-work state. We can’t be forced to join a union anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM

The bottom line is that this economy, at its root, is built on a web of scientific knowledge from physics to chemistry to biology. It’s impossible to just cherry pick out parts we don’t like. If the Earth is 9,000 years old, then virtually the entire construct of modern science is simply wrong. If the universe was formed by non-causal spontaneous generation as the modern cosmologists assert, the entire construct of modern science and logic, that requires a cause for every effect is simply wrong. Not only that, most of the technology that we rely on most likely wouldn’t work – as they’re dependent on science that operates on the same physical laws that demonstrate the age of the universe. require causality for all effects. Although Locke illustrated that the exact cause of a certain effect might be very difficult to identify, a cause for every effect, or event does exist.

Frankly, this is a much more precise and scientific statement. If the so-called “cosmic egg” singularity that existed for all eternity from -infinity to t=0 Big Bang in a state of stasis, then with no cause at 3:00 one Thursday afternoon became unstable and blew up into the universe we have now, then all laws of science and logic are turned on their head. If you have something that has been stable for eternity, and nothing exists to cause it to become unstable, then that cosmic singularity will have remained stable for eternity forward. i.e, if you have nothing and do nothing, no matter how long you wait, nothing is going to happen. This is a huge hole in the theory of modern cosmology. … and I don’t care how you dress it up in fancy mathematics, if you don’t have a cause at t=0-epsilon, then you don’t have an effect at t=0 or a result at t=0+epsilon.

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Tempest in a teapot. The only people who care about this are the 15% of atheists who want to create a totally secular society where religion is not allowed.

Rose on November 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

We can’t be forced to join a union anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Not entirely true. Try getting a job at Southwestern Bell AT&T, an auto plant or a union carpentry shop with a union contract.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

In other words, the way Obama sounds when there’s non ‘prompter around.

Well, that’s different, because Obama is a genius or something. Proof is not required for this FACT and any evidence to the contrary proves you’re a raicst.

sentinelrules on November 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

IF wal-mart went union…I’d quit.
I got more than enough of the UFCW and their BS when I lived in IL…which isn’t a right-to-work state.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

We can’t be forced to join a union anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Actually, ALT is correct. In right to work states like Texas, union membership cannot be a requirement or condition for employment. Now, in some of those states, in some businesses or industries, while union membership cannot be made a condition of employment, union membership can be made a condition for keeping air in one’s tires or being able to continue to walk upright on two healthy legs. Not true of all businesses that have open shops, where I work union membership for the hourly workers is not even a majority; however, there are some industries where the union organizers are, well, to be polite, a bit overzealous in their membership drives.

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

IF wal-mart went union…I’d quit.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I doubt any of us would survive the mega-quake from ole’ Sam spinning in the dirt.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Given that one of the Walton heirs became an Obama supporter, I’m not all that sympathetic to the problems this will cause them. However, I would not appreciate the price increases that would be caused because of the stupid work rules and inefficiencies that unions bring to businesses.

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

“Just how long is one of God’s ‘days’?”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Rubio did the same deflection dance with Stewart last year.

It’s his weak spot.

The biggest problem he faces, is what Christianity is he actually apart of?

He grew up Catholic, became Mormon when he moved to Nevada, went back to Catholicism when he returned to FL, but goes to a non-denominational somethingoranother.

If he’s Catholic, then he can accept the planet is a few billions years old, because John Paul gave that an accepting nod, as in it didn’t counter belief.

But if he’s going to dance in the Christian nexus, then he’s Latino Obama, and it raises questions.

…and Jeb took that easy shot because he wants to clear the field of any Hispanic competition for his kid.

budfox on November 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

As a matter of fact, a really artful politician would be rehearsed and prepared for such an eventuality and very smoothly use it to ambush the interviewer, and put them on the defensive.

Lew on November 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Did you happen to see Condi Rice give her interviewer (don’t remember what nitwit “journalist” it was) a really polished and confident answer to his totally ridiculous and unrelated question at the RNC Convention? She basically took the wind out of his sails and had an almost pitying look on her face as she answered. LOL

That’s the way to do it.

PatriotGal2257 on November 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

In theory maybe, not in practice.

I know folks with AT&T, UPS & GM. Joining the union was part of getting hired.

I myself, would have had to join the union if I wanted to use a tool in the carpentry shop our prototype shop was attached to. Also, with convention work. Only so many non-union people are allowed per job.

It was part of the contract between the employer and the union.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The flat-earth crowd needs to either get smart or GTFO.

It’s an embarrassing statement that Rubio made, and this is going to be standard procedure for every GOP candidate from now on.

WisCon on November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

“Just how long is one of God’s ‘days’?”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Whatever answer Obama gave.

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

“Just how long is one of God’s ‘days’?”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

As long as God wants it to be.

Even Chuck Norris knows that.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

“Just how long is one of God’s ‘days’?”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

As long as he wants it to be.

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

RWM, you did a heck of a job on the Clapper thread. Thank you. Now, if only the resident idiot will admit to reading all that. I’ll refer back to it, next time the dummies argue inanities.

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Sexist pig.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Apologies, I should have stopped after sexist.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

The flat-earth crowd needs to either get smart or GTFO.

WisCon on November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Does the GOP have such a wealth of enthusiastic supporters that it can afford to exile those who upset its delicate sensibilities?

sharrukin on November 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Sexist pig.

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

LOL!

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

It seems one could admit one doesn’t know how old the Earth is.

Marsili.us on November 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

cozmo on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

My point exactly…

… and a question to throw right back at anyone who asks the stupid question in the first place.

“The only winning move…

… is not to play the game.”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

The flat-earth crowd needs to either get smart or GTFO.

WisCon on November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Who are they?

Schadenfreude on November 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

“The only winning move…

… is not to play the game.”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

War Games right?

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Just unreal. I have NEVER understood by we are labeled “anti-science.”

Why, because we doubt the groupthink that is Global Warming Alarmism?

blatantblue on November 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM

BINGO!!

Join the cult…or you’re anti-sciencey stuff.

Solaratov on November 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

War Games right?

gophergirl on November 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

(in my best computer voice)

“How about a nice game of chess…?”

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Not for aything but you guys are a little late. The Brown board of education decision was in the fifties. Its over a$$holes!!! lmfao Where the f*ck were you when forced school busing came to be??

sonnyspats1 on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

It means that her fans are overly protective of her, almost to the point of treating her as if she were a helpless infant victim. They seem to endlessly make excuses for her, no matter how she messes up.

bluegill on November 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

That’s what I thought: From Webster:

Definition of INFANTILIZE

: to make or keep infantile
: to treat as if infantile

in·fan·tile adjective \ˈin-fən-ˌtī(-ə)l, -təl, -ˌtēl, -(ˌ)til\
: of or relating to infants or infancy
: suitable to or characteristic of an infant; especially : very immature

Nope, not seeing the usage. Nobody was trying to keep Palin immature (she’s not). Nobody was treating her as immature (well, except for the press and the Republican establishment, they alternated between incompetent and evil depending on what suited their purpose). Not seeing anything in that definition about making excuses for someone.

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Jack Taylor scores 138 points for Grinnell [Whoever they are] http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA2M5JIO3

davidk on November 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Right a&&hole express f8ck thiss dictator wanna be

sonnyspats1 on November 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hello!!

Talkin’ ’bout how old the earth is?

THAT’S the LEAST of our problems…

Did anyone listen to Levin tonight?

WoW!!

Boehner is hi-jacking the GOP and deliberately pushing out the TEA Party…

Now there are many in back of him, does things now kinda make sense n click as to why these GOPer’s are saying stupid stuff???

Ya know if I heard it wrong, someone will correct me…

It doesn’t matter WTF we say or do…

After hearing what Levin had to say, IT IS TIME FOR A 3RD PARTY!!

Scrumpy on November 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

sonnyspats1

Where did this literary genius come from?

davidk on November 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hmm, Jeb Bush throwing Rubio under the bus is an interesting development.

Punchenko on November 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

That’s the way to do it.

PatriotGal2257 on November 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I don’t remember what the question was, but it was Chrissy Matthews screaming something at Andrea Mitchell and Mitchell answered it like someone had placed a turd under her nose. Rice just paused and continued on answering a different question.

Yep. That needs to be watched by anyone who wants to learn how to answer a dumb question appropriately. Politely and concisely answer another question.

kim roy on November 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Big John McNeil

a capella on November 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Hmmmm:

Quinn administration terminates contract between Illinois and largest public employee union. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/sns-ap-il–illinois-budget-contract-20121120,0,884255.story

davidk on November 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I will love it if conservatives can make a pact that:

In 2016, we will reject any candidate that the media and Democrats tell us is most ELECTABLE, REASONABLE, etc… We will select the most DIVISIVE, EXTREME conservative candidate among the bunch.

After all, no matter who we select… even Kucinich… that candidate will be labelled as most extreme and conservative…

TheRightMan on November 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I don’t know why everyon is talking about 2016…

… The way Oblahblah has come out of the gate after the election, 2014 will be here before we know it.

Seven Percent Solution on November 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hi Scrumpy.

KCB on November 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Speaking from the galaxy of nonsequitors:

sonnyspats1 on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Where in the world did that come from? You might want to spend some time getting up to speed on what the general topic happens to be for a given thread. Keeps you from looking like a darned fool.

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It is becoming more and more clear to me that the GOP is not gonna support anything resembling Conservatism or the TEA Party…

As someone wiser than I has said before the DNC and the GOP are one and the same… one faster than the other…

Why do you imagine that the meme against anything Conservative is allowed to cement in the conscious of America?

Why do we fight so hard against it and yet we gain NO GROUND!!!!

How come the damn athiests win nearly every battle?

Cuz, no one GIVES A DAMN!!!

We are fast becoming a minority and soon we will be extinct…

How the heck do you combat a verbal/visual battle when we are surrounded on all sides…??

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Intelligence, pure

Schadenfreude on November 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Oh RANT OFF!! Carry on… :-)

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I have to agree. I am so sick of these politicians……

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

With everything that is going on I can’t believe that this is a real conversation. These are DISTRACTIONS……plain, simple.

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Thanks I am glad I am not the only one… if, and I do believe Levin, what he says is true, we are truly sunk…

We are gonna battle uphill from here on out to change what has been done to conservatism for the last what 100 years?

Our voices are not loud enough, we are not tough enough, our christian attitude of ‘turn the other cheek’ and forgiveness is our
nexus, it’s on us…

I don’t know what to do, I am laughed at when I try to explain what conservatism is… makes me wanna cry and spit venom!

But I bite my tongue…

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

sonnyspats1 on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Kind advice – get your head out of your azz, lest you suffocate.

Schadenfreude on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Wasn’t there also a story involving the jaw bone of an ass?

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Tell a lie long enough and loud enough it becomes the truth.

Maybe we need to tell lies and shout louder!

Speaking truth does nothing…

Oh yeah I am cheesed off…

But never mind… it will pass… :-)

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM

KCB: Yeah I remember somthing like that…

Judges 15:15-16

King James Version (KJV)

15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Didn’t mean to go off topic…

Gonna call it a night…

Good night all and God Bless!!

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Scrumpy on November 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Not digging Boehner much myself. Somebody more like a Pence would be better for the job. Wonder what Cantor would be like as speaker? He butts head with Boehner.. I dunno. November 6 took a lot out of me.

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Good Night Scrumpy! Thanks for the chat.

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Has anyone actually called for this? No? Then it’s a straw man.

Baerwulf on November 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Goodnight Scrumpy.

AZfederalist on November 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

How old is the world? Well, how old are you? The world began when each of us were born, and will end when each of us will die. It is not a matter of science, but of comparative realities. The real question is whether God created the universe and the earth within it, or whether He merely created beings to wonder and muse about such mundane things. Perhaps the world is His joke, and we are but His punch lines.

TXUS on November 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Isaac Asimov had the best answer in his short-short “How It Happened”.

My brother began to dictate in his best oratorical style, the one which has the tribes hanging on his words.

“In the beginning,” he said, “exactly fifteen point two billion years ago, there was a big bang and the Universe–”

But I had stopped writing. “Fifteen billion years ago?” I said incredulously.

“Absolutely,” he said. “I’m inspired.”

RTWT for the punchline.

AesopFan on November 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

sonnyspats1 on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

AZfederalist on November 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM

C’mon, I liked it. Kind of a HA Tourette’s moment. I’m feeling that a lot myself lately. :)

arnold ziffel on November 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

TXUS on November 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Agreed. This topic is underwhelming.

KCB on November 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Perhaps the world is His joke, and we are but His punch lines.

TXUS on November 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

You posted while I was checking my link; interesting serendipity.

AesopFan on November 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Has anyone actually called for this? No? Then it’s a straw man.

Baerwulf on November 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That, and it’s a silly argument anyway. If one believes that God created a mature functioning universe, along with the laws of physics as observed, then that whole statement is nonsensical. Nobody who believes in creation is stating that the observable phenomena and physical laws are not valid. It’s really a pretty silly line of argument.

AZfederalist on November 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Here’s another story, just for fun.
“If God had spoken to Moses as Creationists wish he had.”

AesopFan on November 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Rubio seemed to be sucker punched with the question, which is probably the desired effect. If Republicans continue to accept these non sequiturs in interviews, we can expect them regularly from now on. And not just about religion either.

People need to challenge these “journalists.” Ask them the reasoning behind it. Explain how it’s got nothing to do with anything. Play along and offer their own non sequitur, like about how much Obama knew about Benghazi, or Fast and Furious, Solyndra…etc. Just don’t go along with their BS like submissive sheep.

Dongemaharu on November 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Kind of a HA Tourette’s moment. I’m feeling that a lot myself lately. :)
arnold ziffel on November 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

:-)

AZfederalist on November 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Peopleneed to challenge these “journalists.” Ask them the reasoning behind it. Explain how it’s got nothing to do with anything. Play along and offer their own non sequitur, like about how much Obama knew about Benghazi, or Fast and Furious, Solyndra…etc. Just don’t go along with their BS like submissive sheep.

Dongemaharu on November 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

This. Even if it gets left on the cutting room floor. If more Republicans would simply respond to questions like that with an “I can’t believe you are even asking that question” look and then launch into a substantive statement about a real issue, we’d avoid a bunch of Akin and Mourdoch moments.

AZfederalist on November 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Hey Finally Scrumpy shows up and I’m not here. Darn.

SparkPlug on November 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM

wow…are the servers down…or is this the HA record shortest qotd.

r keller on November 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

r keller on November 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I don’t know. I guess everyone when to a party and we weren’t invited.

SparkPlug on November 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM

r keller on November 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I don’t know. I guess everyone when to a party and we weren’t invited.

SparkPlug on November 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I’m always the last to find this stuff out… :(

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 1:38 AM

When are Republicans going to realize the MSM are enemies?

Newt is the only one who appears to grasp this screamingly obvious reality. He doesn’t fall for their “gotcha” BS, he goes on the attack. Not a big Newt fan, but he makes me want to stand up and cheer every time he kicks journolister a$$.

Republicans need to disengage from the MSM to the maximum extent possible. No interviews, no answers to calls, no nothin’. We don’t need them to spread the word.

The next Republican who gives George Stephanopoulos an interview should be taken out and shot drummed out of the party. And there are a bunch of other names that should join Stepsalotinit on the “no interview” list. The entire staff of MSNBC leaps to mind.

novaculus on November 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM

When are Republicans going to realize the MSM are enemies?

novaculus on November 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Yes, the entire Fifth Column Treasonous Media is the enemy. Andrew Breitbart understood that better than most, and a lot of the TEA Party folks get it as well. Why the GOP Elite don’t seem to get it either suggest that they aren’t really on the side of the rank and file GOP member, or are stupid beyond belief.

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM

DavidK,

Not one of your “101 Evidences for a Young Earth” is remotely valid.

But you knew that, right?

Allahs vulva on November 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM

SWalker on November 21, 2012 at 1:38 AM

That’s OK! Our party will be way better than the other party all the fun people went too.

SparkPlug on November 21, 2012 at 2:03 AM

marco ‘flat-earth’ rubio is becoming more and unimpressive with each passing day…

Pragmatic on November 21, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Tomorrow!!

Good night.

Electrongod on November 21, 2012 at 3:09 AM

since this thread is sputtering to a close, i’ll just add a couple of things

1. we say we have to ‘reach out’ to the culture to change it. And the culture lets us know pdq that our guys are stupid.

how to turn around. Push back twice as hard? i can see this…rubio say wtf..you’re apply a religious test? Moron. And, yes i am a Christian..and if we are being personal…what’s you religion?

2. anti-science…AlGore thinks that a few mile below the surface it is million of degrees…right all

or, the other way…just say that in polite company that people don’t talk about religion and their beliefs. We are not electing a Pope, moron.

most of these reporters think they are gonzo journos…but their afraid to leave their office.

r keller on November 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Now what did I JUST say about media interviews, Republicans? (No, I don’t expect you all to remember what little old me posted, and no, it’s not entirely original, but hey, I still said it.)

STOP PRETENDING YOU CAN GET A FAIR SHAKE IN THE MEDIA!! They ARE the ENEMY. And when talking about most outlets and most journalists, that’s NOT an exaggeration!

NEVER talk to a hack outlet like GQ, EVER. Don’t act like they’ve got more credibility than a grocery store rag, because when it comes to politics, they don’t!

When you must give an interview, be prepared as a COMBATANT. First rule, always record it yourself (both audio and video if possible) so they can’t unfairly edit it, and don’t be afraid to turn the tables and hold THEIR feet to the fire over tough issues we know the left doesn’t want to talk about. EMBARRASS THEM for a change.

In fact, *bring up their dirty laundry* inasmuch as it’s related to their credibility as a journalist and a news station. Yes, most Americans know the media is biased, but too many still watch and let it sink in regardless. “It’s biased but there’s still some good stuff there,” they think and unknowingly they swallow all sorts of leftist lies, overt and otherwise. So wake as many of those people up as you can with a fact-filled diatribe outlining just how disgustingly biased the mainstream media is *right there* ON the mainstream media.

Imagine: Live on MSNBC, a detailed accounting of their most egregious incidents of bias from the hosts on-air and off, plus all the “leftist dirt” you can dig up (e.g. MSNBC host pushes radical view on abortion). Ripped from Drudge’s and Breitbart’s headlines and forced over the air with the enraged host scrambling to shut you up (which they might – so front-load it with your website and the most damning headlines). Important citations memorized and recited with the URL for a previously-prepared website given repeatedly, a site with all the hard evidence at the visitors’ finger tips. Now THAT would be excellent television!

Who cares if they whine about it and decide not to invite you ever again! So long as most EVERY big-name Republican does something similar (not necessarily to the extreme of my dream scenario above), they’ll HAVE to – or their bosses may just have to replace their DISGRACED reporters!

CanofSand on November 21, 2012 at 3:25 AM

O’Rielly and Stossel BOTH are pissing me off.

I earn MAYBE 50k a year. 60k in a good year.

Stossel shows images of him at his former beach home? Well I’m sorry, John. That’s messed up, JS, I really mean it.

Deal with it.

Shut the FVcK up with the whining, dick.

Ugly on November 21, 2012 at 4:41 AM