House Repubs to Obama: We’re “deeply troubled” that you’re considering Rice for State

posted at 3:01 pm on November 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Adding to the chorus of voices looking to preemptively block a potential nomination for current United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of State, 97 House Republicans sent a letter to the White House yesterday expressing their vociferous opposition to such a move.

Though ambassador Rice has been our Representative to the U.N., we believe her misleading statements over the days and weeks following the attack on our embassy in Libya that led to the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans caused irreparable damage to her credibility both at home and around the world. …

Ambassador Rice is widely viewed as having either willfully or incompetently misled the American public in the Benghazi matter. her actions plausibly give U.S. allies (and rivals) abroad reason to question U.S. commitment and credibility when needed. Thus, we believe that making her the face of U.S. foreign policy in your second term would greatly undermine your desire to improve U.S. relations with the world and continue to build trust with the American people. …

In light of this troubling situation and the continued unanswered questions, we strongly oppose any efforts to nominate Ambassador Susan rice for the position of Secretary of State.

I would agree with President Obama that the ultimate responsibility for this debacle lies with him; security concerns in Benghazi aren’t the area of expertise of our ambassador to the United Nations, so it’s pretty evident that somebody sent her out to do the talk shows armed with the non-terrorism talking points that contradicted what intelligence knew to be the case, and which all-too-conveniently suited the “I decimated al Qaeda” narrative that the president was reguarly touting on the campaign trail. But Ambassador Rice didn’t even just say that the administration needed more time, more information before they could definitively say what happened — she was an active participant in deliberately misleading the American people in the midst of a heated election. That’s a pretty serious blow to her credibility to warrant a promotion rather than a demotion.

With all of the very vocal opposition to Susan Rice as head of State though, now I’m wondering — will President Obama even want to put her up for the job anymore? The appointment process would put her through a lot of scrutiny that would inevitably draw even more attention to the Benghazi debacle and the administration’s (mis?)handling of the situation (although, she will likely have to testify at some point now anyway). I’m suspicious that this whole affair was kind of a “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” type of scenario, or that Rice was at least just continuing to put in her time as a “good soldier” in expectation of being rewarded, but is the juice worth the squeeze at this point?

But then again, maybe Republicans are just being their normal sexist/racist selves, because what other possible explanation in the known universe could there be besides this so obviously being just another “witch hunt going on the right about these people of color, let’s face it, around this president”? …Facepalm.

Comments

Start sticking to your guns Republicans. If you say it, mean it.

… also, bring up the treatment of Condoleeza Rice when she was SoS.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

A bunch of racists
-clyburn

Lsm just loves picking on old White men who badger poor black ladies
idiots

cmsinaz on November 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Uh oh. They’re deeply troubled. Even if I thought they actually wanted to do anything about it…they’re in the House. They have no say (unless they threaten to cut funding over it).

ChrisL on November 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You would think that these people would figure out that loyalty is a one way street with this Obama character. My guess is he put out his most disposable puppet to do this job, and she is going to pay for it with her political aspirations.

Night Owl on November 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

This just helps Susan Rice … thanks !!!

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I love these petitions because sometimes the signatures make me laugh.

Third Page
Ted Poe, what is that????

Phil Roe, I swear the first name is signed David.

amazingmets on November 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Her film trailer reviews are weak.

BL@KBIRD on November 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

This just helps Susan Rice … thanks !!!

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

You don’t even know who she is, do you?

Night Owl on November 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

epic fail as hotair’s most ignorant blogger strikes again.

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Hey, know all those people who care what members of the House think of cabinet nominees?

Yeah, me neither.

Sorry, folks. The House doesn’t get to play in this ballgame. You wanted good cabinet members, you should have said so on election day. Made your bed and all that…

Shump on November 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The eSTABrepubs are going to continue their McCain2008 style surrender! They haven’t said a word to fight these clowns, but the usual “Dog & Pony Show”, when they are trying to give the Butcher of Benghazi cover for whatever illegal or immoral act, perpetrated on the American People! The Traitor-in-chief is arming Al-Qaeda and propping up muslim brotherhood led Govt’s throughout the Middle East. Dead Americans are simply “Bumps in the Road” to Benedict Obama and the eSTABrepubs seam to be in collusion with this animal Occutarding the White House! Make the Benghazi hearing public or we know you are conspiring with the Regime to hide the arming of Al-Qaeda from the American People, due to eSTABrepub involvement & foreknowledge!

God Bless America!

paratisi on November 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

If the GOP rolls over on this, I lose whatever ounce of respect I have for them.

It doesn’t matter what color the woman is, SHE’S ****ING INCOMPETENT. “Content of one’s character…” Has Jim Clyburn ever heard of that, or has he forgotten Dr. King’s infamous words?

Aizen on November 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Perhaps you should learn to read better before you make stupid comments.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

If Soetoro was smart, he would appoint somebody else now, and then see if he can sneak her by in 2 years…

oh, who am I kidding. He’ll plow ahead with with nomination, appearances be damned, because the MSM will provide enough cover for him, and frankly, he is not going to let congressional gridlock prevent him from dictating via Executive Order, in fact it provides cover…

phreshone on November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Nightowl …not only do I know who Susan Rice is …I know what her next job will be … Secretary of State …serving the newly Re-Elected President of the United States Barack Obama … I also know I predicted for months on Hot Air that Romney/Ryan were going to lose… I know that !!!!!!!!!!!!

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Well it’s just posturing on the part of the House since they don’t get an actual say in the nomination or confirmation process.

dczombie on November 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Say, you’re good. Can you predict the collapse of the dollar? It would be really helpful for planning purposes.

Thanks.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

“I have a dream, that my little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be promoted by the color of their skin but by the content of their resumes.” –Attributed to M.L.K.

Archivarix on November 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I do find it ironic that the guy that came out swinging for Mitt and acted as surrogate attack dog on Mitts opponents ended up – in the very end – helping to hand the Presidency back to Obama.

paraphrasing.

H/T to H/T

SparkPlug on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Want a cookie? I bet you’d like that if it came from the government and didn’t cost you a red cent.

Honestly, most people didn’t think America would be filled with Santa Claus-supporting voters.

Aizen on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Darwin ,no I stick to predicting Presidential elections and that losers like you will try to be clever but will fail just like Rove/Rush/Morris /Hannity/Barone /Levin/Ryan/Romney/Brown/ West /Palin/Fox News/HotAir etc just failed …by the way I predict you will cry and whine for the next four years because President Obama and Vice President Biden crushed Romney and Ryan …

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

epic fail as hotair’s most ignorant blogger strikes again.

SUSAN RICE: They are not on the ground yet, but they have already begun looking at all sorts of evidence of– of various sorts already available to them and to us. And they will get on the ground and continue the investigation. So we’ll want to see the results of that investigation to draw any definitive conclusions.seriously, how does it take to look at the transcript before you start snarking away like an idiot?

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Not surprisingly, you missed the point entirely.
The point is THAT IS ALL SHE SHOULD HAVE SAID.
Instead, she went on about the video.
If it was not known, that should have been the company line.
She chose to say it was “X”, but then say we do not know. Not smart.

Jabberwock on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

SparkPlug on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

RE: Christie, O/T

SparkPlug on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Perhaps you should learn to read better before you make stupid comments.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

who looks pathetic now?

sesquipedalian on August 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

epic fail as hotair’s most ignorant blogger strikes again.

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

^^^ Hot Air’s most ignorant commenter. Epic failure at reading comprehension.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

A liar and an incompetent – what’s not to like?

VorDaj on November 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

“Crushed”, Gilligan?

In reality, if Romney had only received 330,000 additional votes in only 4 swing states, he would have won the Electoral College and thus the election.

And how to you explain the 9 million 2008 O’bamna voters who didn’t vote for him this time? Are they all Racists too?

F-

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I predict in a few years you will cry and whine with me.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Aizen … what are you going to do now …look how many conservative Republicans blasted Romney this week for his “Santa Claus gifts” take on the election” …even right wingers like Bobby Jindal …wow you Hot Air lunatic fringe type are really going to be isolated ..even by your own party

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I won. Again.

Aplombed on November 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Not surprisingly, you missed the point entirely.
The point is THAT IS ALL SHE SHOULD HAVE SAID.
Instead, she went on about the video.
If it was not known, that should have been the company line.
She chose to say it was “X”, but then say we do not know. Not smart.

Jabberwock on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Bingo. She allegedly had nothing to do with the “intel” yet was sent out there as the spokesperson for the Administration, anyway. It’s beyond telling a lie, it’s intentional deceit and an attempt to fool the public/media about something she agreed to express (whatever she was told by higher-ups).

Aizen on November 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Somebody else may have sent Rice out to lie, but unless she has an IQ under 50, she must have known they were lies.

VorDaj on November 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So you were able to vote in both Ohio and Colorado?

Night Owl on November 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Well, Bill Ayers was going to kill at least 25 million of us … so isolation isn’t really that bad.

darwin on November 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

That’s why we are so grateful you are here to keep us company.

Night Owl on November 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What am I going to do? I’m going to continue living my life in spite of this administration and its supporters, while the country will certainly change for the worse. I’m still going to attend college and work part-time as I do now, because I refuse to sit on my *** and wait for Santa Claus to make my life better.

I grew out of believing Santa Claus by the time I was 6-years-old, it’s a shame so many grown adults still believe in a fairy tale. The Democrat Party’s voters would be better off in life if they just grew up.

Aizen on November 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If it isn’t Rice, it’ll be John Kerry, or some other terrorist-appeasing, America-denigrating choice who sees the U.S. as the aggressor and the Muslim Brotherhood as a bastion of peace and love.

Right Mover on November 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

night owl I voted in Ohio for the winner President Obama ..that way I also got to help Senator Sherrod Brown defeat Mandel ( one of the worst candidates ever) … I did get to campaign a lot in Denver though ..

Del (peachesforbrains )Monte … sorry even most Repubs are saying Romney/Ryan got CRUSHED … in America ..it is all about the Electoral College …

Zero

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Aizen … yeah damn lazy Democratic voters like Warren Buffet etc.

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

epic fail as hotair’s most ignorant blogger strikes again.

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The selective editing with this turd is strong. When you don’t have the truth on your side, all you have left is lies, apparently.

That was one of your weaker feeble attempts, sequipiddlesitself – even for you, that was pathetically weak.

Midas on November 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

phreshone on November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Recess appointment! I mean, he does have the power to determine whether the Senate is in recess or not, right..?

affenhauer on November 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Go ahead, GOP, affirm the choice. Then let the liberals own it. From what I’ve read about her she will be a total flop and an embarrassment to the country, piss off our allies, and make absolutely no relevant contribution to any issues…but when you think about it, is that that different from what Hillary has done?

scalleywag on November 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

…that GUARANTEES that OBOZO will appoint this lying bwitch.

TeaPartyNation on November 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

seriously, how does it take to look at the transcript before you start snarking away like an idiot? sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yeah but Obooba said on 9/12 it was terrorism. Ask Candy Doublewide.

And Rice also blamed a film trailer no one saw. Repeatedly.

Akzed on November 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Barry can put her in as a “recess” appointment, whether there’s a recess or not? He’s done it before. I’m kind of hoping for that kind of hubris.

Travis Bickle on November 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

With four years of “leading from behind” and weakening our international footprint behind us, does it really matter who he appoints as SofS for the next four years ? This person will not be projecting our strength.
Any person appointed will just do the same. Whether they have credibility or not.

Jabberwock on November 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

All those krackas need to stop picking on that black woman.

paulsur on November 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You take stupidity to a whole new level.

HumpBot Salvation on November 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Why this bothers me, I can’t explain, because I have no use whatsoever for the Man Currently Impersonating the President.

But, IMO, the President can nominate whomever he wants and then Republicans and anyone else in the Senate who so chooses can oppose the nomination.

Sending another branch of government a letter telling them how they should exercise their prerogatives is just out of line. Do they actually expect the President to read their letter and say, “Oh, okay then, if you feel that way about it, I’ll find somebody else; thanks so much for your kind note.”

It’s just this kind of junk, the endless tussle for a one-up and a headline, that makes people turn off to the whole business in D.C. Grow up and act like responsible adults, will you people? And stop the grade-school games.

And I’m not a fan, at all, of the utter amateur playing house in our White House.

IndieDogg on November 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

This is a person who’s major consideration for the appointment to Secretary of State, are based on she knows nothing, looks up no information on her own (Colin Powell said the first thing he did is Google the News) and totally trusts the current Administration to tell her the truth and all that she needs to know. Being a Repubs has nothing to do with it. She is just no good political hack that is being paid back for being an Election surrogate.

I have seen Condoleezza Rice in action, Susan Rice is no Connie Rice but is only tiring to play on Connie’s history. She is no fit for Secretary of State. Only promised the nomination by Obama if she would go out and make a fool of herself for the President. He knows full well she will never get the appointment because it’s going to John Kerry.

jpcpt03 on November 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

A black Pres. nominates a black female for a cabinet position—is that not exempt from any nomination process /

hillsoftx on November 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Travis Bickle on November 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

hubris is just another word for Revenge.

President Gutsy….reporting for duty.

FlaMurph on November 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The question is: Does Obama care that House Republicans are trouble by Rice’s nomination? He only needs the (Reid) Senate to confirm her. This may be another “I won” situation.

You f***ed up. You trusted us.

Socratease on November 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Right Mover on November 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

No, it won’t be Thurston, because he would have to give up his Senate seat, and there is a real chance that Scott Brown will win the special election.

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Lie to the American people = Up for a big promotion. See how that works?

slickwillie2001 on November 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Who gave the stand down order?

When was it given?

Who wrote it down?

Where is it kept?

Who saw the consulate getting attacked in real time?

What decisions were made during the attack?

What units, aircraft, ships and other military assets were on alert within a 2hr radius of response around this consulate? What units could have responded but were prevented from doing so?

Why was our ambassador’s body allowed to fall into the hands of terrorists?

Why were our SEALs not given assistance and died draped over a blood caked machine gun waiting for help that did not come?

What happened during the attack? What conditions were set before the attack that facilitated it?

What does “do whatever is necessary” mean within the context of a military order?

ted c on November 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I would add: What was the Dear Liar doing that evening in the WH whilst these events were transpiring?

Was he in the situation room?

If not, WHY NOT?

Who was with him in the room?

Where are the pictures of where he was during this time period?

What orders did he issue?

To whom did he say this?

Chip on November 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Zero

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You’re funny. Dumb as a rock, but funny. Especially since it’s your side that wanted to eliminate that Electoral College in 2000 after your guy couldn’t Steal that election by Judicial Activism. In fact, since then nearly all of the “repeal the Electoral College” activism has come from your Party.

As for my original claim…

Romney lost my state of New Hampshire’s 4 electoral college votes by a margin of 40,659. Obama won with 368,529 to Romney’s 327,870.

Romney lost Florida’s 29 electoral college votes by a margin of 73,858. Obama won with 4,236,032 to Romney’s 4,162,174.

Romney lost Ohio’s 18 electoral college votes by a margin of 103,481. Obama won with 2,697,260 to Romney’s 2,593,779

Romney lost Virginia’s 13 electoral college votes by a margin of 115,910. Obama won with 1,905,528 to Romney’s 1,789,618.

Add the 64 electoral college votes from this switch of 333,908 votes in these four key states to Romney’s 206, remove them from Obama’s 332, and Romney defeats Obama 270 to 268.

F-

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You take stupidity to a whole new level.

HumpBot Salvation on November 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

His “candidate” set a new record in 2008 with 70% of the high school dropout vote.

This time around, his “candidate” got 82% of that vote in PA, 80% in CA, 73% in NV, and nearly 70% in OH and FL.

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Have you noticed that the modern incarnation of the National Socialist Left has to depend more and more on a foundation of lies?

As time goes Forward, we will see more and more distortion of what happened on election day.

The truth is no friend of the left.

Chip on November 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Did Obama/Democrats STEAL the 2012 election with vote fraud?

Chip on November 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM

ted c on November 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM

The US embassy is in Tripoli. Why was our ambassador in a known terrorist hotspot on the 9/11 anniversary without protection?

Why was he there at all?

DanMan on November 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Congressional Republicans on cabinet appointments – as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle

plewis on November 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Wondering if Susan Rice was chosen to promote the YouTube storyline not just because she had no ties to the underlying mess that was being covered up, but also because she’s black and a woman…thus allowing the dual defense tactic of cries of racism and sexism.

Nah…Democrats would never manipulate people into acting against their own best interests because of their skin color or sex…and Democrats would never manipulate the public with divisive, damaging messages falsely accusing others of racism and sexism./

(Why, yes…that is a sarc tag.)

butterflies and puppies on November 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

We need better trolls.

alwaysfiredup on November 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

U2denver on November 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Well U2cleverdenver, I gotta hand it to you. Staggering unemployment, crippling deficit, failed stimulus spending, record food stamp rolls, green energy busts, auto industry (union) bailout (payoff), Fast and Furious cover up and now Benghazi. Congratulations! You won, er crushed!

Since you are so prescient hows about a prediction? At what point do entitlement spending, stimulus spending, ‘free’ healthcare along with other government goodies collide with anti-business policies that cause taxpaying companies to flee (read: job losses which is also revenue loss) and result in a collapse of the government teat you are so fond of?

Thanks so much.

ghostwalker1 on November 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM

… as hotair’s most ignorant blogger strikes again.

sesquipedalian on November 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

….be gentle on yourself…or at least use lotion!

KOOLAID2 on November 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Rice is a moron for spewing obvious b.s. without any questions.

We have enough morons in government already.

She needs to slink away in mortified silence.

profitsbeard on November 21, 2012 at 3:15 AM